[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good pen and paper rpg games? I'm only really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: Endless-Legend-Vaulters-Rush.jpg (783 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Endless-Legend-Vaulters-Rush.jpg
783 KB, 1920x1080
What are some good pen and paper rpg games?

I'm only really familiar with the Fantasy Flight Warhammer shit, because I looked into myself since I like Warhammer, D&D but only really 3.5, since it was like the quintessential pen and paper game a few years ago.

I actually have free time for this kinda stuff now, and I'd like to know anything else out there.
>>
>>44468677
D&D 4e, 13th Age, Legend by Rule of Cool, Fantasy Craft, Tenra Bansho Zero, Make You Kingdom, Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Reign, Ryuutama, Lady Blackbird, Super Console, Ironclaw, Dungeons the Dragoning 40,000 7th Edition, Double Cross, Log Horizon, Fiasco, S/Lay w/Me, Kobolds Ate My Baby, Golden Sky Stories, Marvel Heroic RPG, Nechronica
>>
>>44469391
Anything else?
>>
>>44469391
I was hoping for a bit more information rather than just a bunch of names.
>>
D&D 5E
>>
>>44470417

What are you looking for? Scifi, fantasy, noir, etc? Generic system? Miniatures or no? Emphasis on crunchy mechanics or narrative? You gotta give us some traction.
>>
>>44470585
Well a lot of that all sounds kind of neat.
I'm not really sure what I'm looking for exactly, it all sounds pretty interesting.

Are there any fantasy ones that are actually sci-fi in disguise? Like in Endless Legend where a lot of the shit going on is actually because of some ancient super advanced race, genetic research projects, the ruins being leftover of their labs, all the magic coming from manipulation of ancient nano-machines.
>>
File: ZMpSKGy.jpg (683 KB, 5400x2700) Image search: [Google]
ZMpSKGy.jpg
683 KB, 5400x2700
>>44470699
I was going to post some more art but I forgot to, have it anyway.
>>
>>44470699
Definitely Numenera, though 4chan seems split on whether it's good or not. I thought it was OK but it intentionally just glances over combat yet otherwise had some good artifact ideas. There's been a resurgence of that genre of pseudo post apocalyptic with crazy shit lying around, eg Degenesis.

Some stuff halfway falls into that "precursor artifacts magic" trope but it's not pure sci-fi, eg Ironclaw.

Then you've got a slew of generic systems you could run any existing setting, eg I'd do STALKER personally.
>>
>>44470699

Okay. Three of the more popular generic systems could be used for that, each with their own focus. GURPS is more focused on simulating real world outcomes and has a large number of source books to be pruned through. If you're into lots of interconnected moving parts, GURPS might be for you. Savage Worlds is rules medium, pulp action focused, with the players being big damn heroes. FATE core is more about collaborative story telling with some mechanics to push that along. Its got a decent number of pre-built worlds, and works best if everyone has a clear idea of what they want going in.

Fantasy that is secretly scifi is common enough trope. There's a classic old school dnd module called Expedition To Barrier Peaks where the dungeon is a crashed ufo. A newer game called Numenera is probably close to what you're looking for (haven't played endless legend). Mechanically numenera seems to bother a lot of people because its not crunchy enough or light enough, but its probably worth googling.
>>
>>44470699
Numenera is self-professed "weird fantasy" where magic is mostly just technology left behind by the previous 8 civilizations.
Can't say if it's good though.

>>44470417
D&D 4e: Well balanced game with emphasis on skirmishes.
13th Age: 4e with a more freewheeling combat system and a few nods towards narrative mechanics.
Legend by Rule of Cool: 3.5 reimagined with a focus on interesting combat and high-powered shenanigans.
Fantasy Craft: 3.5 reimagined to be the fantasy toolbox it failed to be.
Tenra Bansho Zero: Proper Japanese fantasy in a war torn world with everything from child-powered mecha to Shinto federal agents, mystical native Oni and bug-raising freaks.
Make You Kingdom: Formulaic dungeon crawling RPG with lots of self-referential humor.
Apocalypse World: The narrativistic post-apoc RPG number 1.
Dungeon World: Apocalypse World weird little, not quite as good, but still interesting fantasy brother.
Dungeon Crawl Classics: Traditional D&D with a modern twist and a whole lot of tables.
Reign: Does everything in one roll and boasts some sweet organization/mercenary band/kingdom/whatever mechanics.
Ryuutama: Feelgood fantasy that's more about the journey than the goal.
Lady Blackbird: Neat self-contained airfarin' adventure.
Super Console: Old JRPGs going full circle, either seriously or as a parody.
Ironclaw: If you have serious issues with furries, stay away. If not, you've got yourself a pretty interesting fantasy game with brutal but fun combat.
Dungeons the Dragoning 40,000 7th Edition: A mashup of Warhammer, WoD, Exalted, D&D, and a lot of other stuff made on a dare. And it works better than it has any right to.
Double Cross: Virus-based Japanese supers game with horrible layout in the translated version, unfortunately.
Log Horizon: If you don't know the anime, chances are it's not for you.
>>
>>44471016

Fiasco: Collaborative (mostly) storytelling where everything that can go wrong will go wrong and then some.
S/Lay w/Me: Explores what Sword & Sorcery is really about.
Kobolds Ate My Baby: All Hail King Torg.
Golden Sky Stories: Feelgood stories in a small rural Japanese town where young animal spirits help the townsfolk with their everyday little problems.
Marvel Heroic RPG: Exactly what it says on the tin.
Nechronica: Just look it up.
>>
File: reccomendations.png (35 KB, 1030x525) Image search: [Google]
reccomendations.png
35 KB, 1030x525
>>44471016
Not OP, but thanks for the post. I'll have to save this one.
>>
File: p7952201_b_v7_ad.jpg (155 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
p7952201_b_v7_ad.jpg
155 KB, 480x720
What system would you use for an Archer like campaign?
>>
>>44471138
Glad to be of service.
By the way, it's "recommendations".

>>44471183
Fiasco.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.