[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e General: Eberron Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: eberron.jpg (344 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
eberron.jpg
344 KB, 1024x768
>All official WotC content
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

So, /5eg/, why aren't you running an Eberron game in 5e already?
>>
>>44466599
Because I'm using GURPS instead?
>>
I'm not optimistic about 5E Eberron.

I never checked out 4E Eberron, but 3.5 Eberron felt built around 3.5. e.g. racial feats were a good thing for the Warforged. I don't want it to now be: "You can add your proficiency bonus to armor class while unarmored" or something like that.
>>
>>44466599
Because Warforged are woefully undertuned.
>>
DMs, what do you write down before a session? What do you write down during a session?
>>
>>44466720
I take the "guide for lazy DMs" approach and prepare via "paths." I pick three likely paths they'll immediately take and write out quick, undetailed notes for them. If they might travel somewhere new I'll do some quick details on the new location, basic unique NPCs, that sort of thing.

During the session I write down very little.
>>
So doing a valor bard, seems to get shafted a little in the spell department, Would tying them together with paladin be good? I see the paladin gets a lot of smite spells that I think would do a valor bard good, but he wouldn't get them until 10th level. Would sticking to Lore and just stealing paladin spells be better?
>>
>>44466720
I sketch out some very rough maps in my notebook of towns/dungeons and then write down 10 or 20 random names and that is all of the preparation that I do. The rest of the game is completely improvised even down to the monster statistics. During a session I only cross names off the list and then write down what they are/where they are in case I forget.
>>
>>44466720
I have a little box of index cards sectioned off with different things, like NPCs, groups of monsters, locations, and interesting features. If they want to go off the few paths like >>44466872 described which I do as well, I pull a few cards out and go off those.
>>
>>44466639
The racial feats are all mechanical progression to do with armor restrictions for warforged, aren't they? You could scrap them and just let Warforged wear armor, or make it so that they can incorporate suits of armor they found into themselves if they're proficient with it.

The fluff is what's really important, and with some minor changes (Hero Points from the DMG for starters, maybe a free additional HD or two at first level to avoid the lethality problem), hitting Eberron's tone in 5e is easy.
>>
>>44466904
The two level dip into paladin always works great for any charisma caster who wants to try and gish.

You don't necessarily need the smite spells since smite itself will be your bread and butter, but stealing the higher level options is definitely something to consider, as is stealing booming/greenflame blade so that you can maximize spellsy melee damage.

Just consider how much of a spellcaster you want to be. The 2 level dip into paladin is very efficient in making you a very viable melee fighter. More levels in paladin will get you neat auras though, and access to a wider range of spells. Of course the downside to this is losing out on higher level spell slots, which might not be a big deal to you if you don't care about crazy spells as much.

You also need to keep in mind that they both get extra attack as a class feature, so if you go both 5+ levels in paladin and 6+ levels in bard, you're losing some efficiency there. Also any levels in Paladin are delaying that sweet spell + melee attack valor bard feat.
>>
>>44466639

Just treat the armor as "subraces" of Warforged. It's not that big a deal, and the feat tax on Warforged in 3.5 was kind of steep, but you may need to add a fourth category (which is the tricky part). Actually, the armor types fit even better in 5e than they did in 3.5:

Arcane Warforged: You lack the standard armor plating of other warforged to facilitate spellcasting. You may not wear armor, but you can wear robes or other clothing. You are not considered to be wearing armor.

Composite Warforged: You are a standard model produced from Cannith's forges. Your armor class is 12+Dex, and you are considered to be wearing light armor.

Mithral Plated: Your armor is constructed from mithral plates. Your armor class is 15+Dex (maximum of 2), and you are considered to be wearing medium armor. Effects that modify the maximum dexterity bonus of medium armor also modify this effect.

Adamantine Plates: You are a rare, specially-made model of warforged. Your armor class is 18, and you neither add nor subtract your dexterity modifier from your armor class. You are considered to be wearing heavy armor. If your strength is less than 15, your speed is reduced by 10. You have disadvantage on Stealth checks.

Yes, it's a way to get some of the best armor in the game "earlier" than other classes, but that's always been the Warforged's bag. Plus it's much harder to get magic versions, and you can never take it off.
>>
I've heard of people talking about a deathsinger bard, is that pretty much taking animate dead like spells?
>>
>>44467733
There was a "Dirgesinger" prestige class? in 3.5e that was basically a death-themed bard.

In 5e it would more or less involve being a lore bard, stealing Animate Dead at 6th level, and doubling down on the edge.
>>
>>44466720
I write nothing except for chance charts and the titles of quest hooks I make. I have an impeccable gift of remembering every important detail of a campaign.

Though I guess it helps that my group that I DM for can rarely make a campaign last longer than 4 sessions
>>
>>44467543
Eh, with that it might be easier to stick with the UA's "+1 AC" and focus on their potential other traits. That way you prevent barbarian and monk features from being unavailable to warforged.
>>
>>44467543
> AC 18 at character creation
You know, 'cause /tg/ homebrew just isn't quite fucked up enough yet
>>
>>44468037
Who even plays at low enough levels so long it makes a massive difference? Why would they even bother to build warforged if they weren't significantly more useful than the average grunt?
>>
>>44466617
Here's your "you."

>>44466639
>I'm not optimistic about 5E Eberron.
>I never checked out 4e Eberron

They modified it mechanically to fit the new system. They will likely do the same again.

It's going to be fine. Your special brand of hidebound originalism is the reason why I still have to support IE8 at my day job.
>>
Reminder that DnD5e is balanced around 6-8 encounters per adventuring day, and if you're not following this guideline then you need to adjust the rules!

Turning 'per short rest' into 'per encounter' is probably the best possible thing you can do for the game.
>>
>>44468285
>Turning 'per short rest' into 'per encounter' is probably the best possible thing you can do for the game.
These are not the same thing at all. Go back to 4e.
>>
>>44467955

>That way you prevent barbarian and monk features from being unavailable to warforged

Yeah, that's what the "Arcane Warforged" one is for. It mentions casting, but that's just fluff. It's not considered to be wearing armor.

>>44468037
>AC 18
>homebrew isn't fucked up enough yet

I've seen some of /tg/'s other homebrew stuff, and this isn't even close to that. Yes, it's an advantage, and a big one from level 1-5ish.

But 3.5 characters couldn't afford full plate until level 3 according to WBL, and not until 4 if you abided by the "no one item can be more than half your wealth" guideline. Warforged could get that at level 1 in 3.5. It's kind of their thing.

If you think it's a tad too strong, how about this:

Adamantine Plates: Heavy adamantine plating was added to you after your "birth" in Cannith's forges, and you are not yet used to its weight on your body. Your AC is 16, and you neither add nor subtract your Dex modifier to your AC. If your strength is less than 15, your speed is reduced by 10. You have disadvantage on Stealth checks. At level 5, you have acquired enough experience to make full use of your armor, and your AC is 18 instead of 16.
>>
>>44468285
I disagree with the later statement but personally I like the thought of 6 encounters in a day if you are somewhere dangerous. Short rest is a very nice thing because it helps out most classes and is a good heal. I'd leave short rest as is.
>>
File: 5e DM Screen.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
5e DM Screen.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>44466599

Chalk it up to my relative inexperience with Eberron, but doesn't 5e's assumptions about magic items clash with Eberron's "common yet low-level magic" feel? How do you go about adjusting that? What about stuff like dragonmarks and the artificer class?

So what's preventing me from running an Eberron game in 5e is that I don't really know how to properly go about it.
>>
>>44468285
>>44468341
>>44468384
The game is based around 6-8 encounters a day. If you DO have that many in a day, and you can fit short rests in, then keep them.

Otherwise, you need to make short rest = 5 minutes like it was in 4e (that's what 'per encounter' meant there) or else the short-rest dependent classes can't keep up.
>>
>Oosa the Chaotic Good Arrakocra Valor Bard
>>
>>44468414

I meant relative inexperience with 5e, I know Eberron very well.
>>
>>44468414
>doesn't 5e's assumptions about magic items clash with Eberron's "common yet low-level magic" feel
So long as you don't go with numerical bonus stuff, making 5e's magic items more common is fine. Giving characters doodads and shit just make them more versatile and give them more stuff to do, especially outside of combat.
>>
>>44468380
Why not start with AC values equivalent to the standard starting armors, and then require the PC to find an alchemist (or a blacksmith in a low-magic setting) to upgrade their body in exchange for a certain amount of gold (or, ven better, a side quest)?
>>
>>44468414
Avoid items that give +X to stuff and you're fine.
>>
>>44468423
Your 6-8 encounter structure also assumes 2 short rests. Don't split hairs and call it literacy.
>>
>>44468414
Eberron's 'wide magic' feel is mostly limited to non-combat magic and fluff. Lighting rails, eternal lanterns, creation forges - they're just technological fluff, they're not anything a player picks up and wields. You don't need rules for any of them because as a player you're not supposed to be in the item-crafting business, you're in the combat business.

In Eberron you might have fancy electromagical armor instead of 'full plate'... but it still has exactly the same rules as full plate. Use refluffing to your advantage.
>>
>>44468462
Not sure what this is supposed to mean.

The point is, the game is built around:
2 encounters - > rest -> 2 encounters -> rest -> 2 encounters, possibly with a big baddy at the end.

If you follow this structure exactly, then short-rest dependent classes like the warlock and fighter end up close to on-par with daily casters like the wizard, because they get roughly the same amount of effective abilities used per day via the short rests.

However, if you DEVIATE from this structure and have fewer encounters per day (and relatedly, fewer short rests) then you're giving a boost to the daily casters - for example, if you only have two encounters in a day then the daily caster can blow all their spells in only two encounters.

I'm saying you can partially rectify this by following the 'short rest = 5 minutes' rule, so that the short resters can rest between each encounter in the day and therefore keep up.
>>
>>44468465
This.

The party is not the only group in Eberron with access to magic toys. Syndrome said it best, kids.
>>
>>44468424
I'd play it. You gotta liberate those dirty goblins of their "stolen" goods and supplies.
>>
So with all this Eberron talk, is there a decent artificer homebrew out there somewhere?
>>
>>44468452

Because that's not a balanced homebrew race, that's sheer ad hoc DM'ing. And it's stupid anyway.

Warforged always had access to more AC at level 1 than other classes. Most people couldn't get 5 AC light armor at level 1, and nobody could get full plate at level 1. The difference evened out by level 5 at the latest, and so does this. It's pretty I'm not sure why you're so deadset against it. The only "overpowered" thing here is that warforged could have more AC from level 1-5ish than other people. But that's always been their thing.
>>
So just to clarify on spells with the ritual tag: a wizard can cast that spell without having to use spell slots, as long as its in his spellbook and has 10 minutes to spare?

That's kinda cool if that's the case.
>>
>>44468847
Correct.
>>
>>44468414
>>44468465
>>44468536

Remember that Eberron is a setting, not an Adventure Path, if that makes any sense. It emphasizes the fact that there are fewer high level NPCs around, but that doesn't mean there aren't any - and your players can run into lots of them. It just describes how the setting works - rather than rely on high-level, unique people to solve problems, they've turned to low-level magic to make technology.

And there's plenty of high-level threats for parties. Extraplanar villains from Dal Quor, Xoriat, and the Shavarath all have reasons to menace Eberron. The Dragonmarked houses themselves can be your enemy - remember that they're *huge* organizations.

Some adventure/campaign ideas that can threaten higher-level parties:

A scion of House Cannith, angry that the Treaty of Thronehold neutered his house's military power, seeks an ancient Creation Forge somewhere in the jungles of Xen'drick. House Deneith, whose military strength competed with Cannith, wants to see him stopped, but politically cannot act unless hired to do so. Instead, they hire the players to pursue.

A Balor discovers a pair of Shavarath manifest zones on Eberron - if he can conquer the path between them, he can open a new front on the Shavarath and flank his Archon enemies. The path lies directly through Sharn. The party can stop him - but can they trust the Erinyes who offers her assistance to thwart her mutual enemies on the Shavarath?

The Blood of Vol is kidnapping members of Dragonmarked Houses. The party discovers Vol's research into the Planes - each plane is tied to a Dragonmark, and Vol's is tied to Dolurrh. She seeks to bring Dolurrh coterminous to Eberron to complete her magic ritual that will reactivate her Dragonmark - can the party disrupt the ritual and stop the Blood of Vol?
>>
>>44468847
>>44468847
Exactly how it works. Druids, clerics, and tome pact warlocks can also cast spells with ritual tags in a similar way. Rituals are pretty rad.
>>
>>44468847
>>44469087
Clerics and druids have to prepare the spell for the day. Wizards and tome warlocks don't. Bards need to know the ritual.
>>
>>44468691
>I'm not sure why you're so deadset against it.
That wasn't me; his idea was ass, too.

Bounded accuracy keeps ACs lower in 5e than in earlier editions. 18 is the highest possible AC one can get with conventional armor, which requires a proficiency and costs a lot of money. Your setup gives it to players for free, no proficiency required, for a trivial penalty if their strength is below 15.

I strongly suspect your adamantine warforged will be considerably less rare than your fluff implies. Shit, I don't even know why you bothered to give any options besides unarmored and heavily armored; nobody's choosing the middle 2.
>>
>>44468691
What I did was make unarmored warforged (+1 to AC when unarmored or wearing light armor), mithral (medium, AC = 14 + Dex [max 2]) and adamantine (heavy, AC = 16) and then explicitly stated that nonmagical upgrades to the mithral and adamantine plating were available that would make mithral 16 + Dex [max 3] and adamantine 19. This way each warforged retains a potential +1 AC edge over the course of the game without disrupting bounded accuracy at the low levels. Price as necessary for armor upgrades.
>>
>>44471522
not unarmored, "composite plating" as it was called in 3.5 though it doesn't count as being armored so that I didn't have to invent another option
>>
Do any of the EE or the SCAG have new feats?
>>
>>44471665
Not really. Each book has 1 that's only for deep gnomes. It's the same feat in both publications
>>
>>44471665
EE has a great feat but only deep gnomes can pick it it. Basically it makes abjuration wizard deep gnomes op.
>>
>>44466683
Shifters are even worse.
>>
>>44471859
>OP
Stop using words you clearly don't know what they mean.
>>
>>44471891
The Eberron UA material looks a lot like the playtest material when races typically only had +1/+1 to ability scores. Shifters in particular need one of their ability scores to be +2 and then something that replicates old shifters feats, like gaining an extra shifter trait at a certain level. I would go as far as to make them a +2 Dex race and then tie their +1 to an attribute based on which shifter trait(s) they end up with. Shifting itself needs ways to gain a longer duration or to be used more often.
>>
>>44472001
Longtooth trait is shit, basically you, as a whole Action, can make a bite of 1d6+Str and if you hit you can also trip while shifting

Razor claw gives you an bonus action attack of 1+Dex while shifting

Super stronk! At least warforged counts as living construct and gets +1 AC, sure, it's shit, but shifters are worse.
>>
>>44472001
If shifting has limited duration I'd even give them +2 when shifting, making them +2 Dex permanent (for example) and +2 to one stat while shifting depending on the shifter trait.

Make it twice per short rest like wildshape and bladesinging, and make it last 1 minute.
>>
>>44472071
I heavily modified all those traits too. Most of the traits come with an ability score increase and a skill proficiency. I made razorclaw changed their unarmed strike to 1d4 base damage with the finesse property so it could at least trigger sneak attacks and such. I changed longtooth's ability to a bonus action when after using the attack action and gave it the option to knock prone or grapple.
>>
>>44471159

>trivial penalty

It's just the same as anyone wearing heavy armor.

And rogues, Rangers, warlocks, or anyone who wants to use light armor will pick the first one, and some bards, barbarians, clerics, etc. might pick medium armor. It doesn't grant proficiency with th armor type, so no rogues in adamantine.

>less rare than your fluff implies

Yes but that's always the case with player characters. Not many people stuck with composite plating in 3.5 either.
>>
>>44472178
I tried to avoid number inflation, but yeah it's stupid for every shifter regardless of trait to be a Dex/Wis character. +2 Dex/+1 ability based on trait, whether shifted or not, seems more in line with the base races. 3.5 shifters were fun because you really felt like you played the shifter race just as much as whatever class you happened to pick, so I tried to capture that feel in the traits. Also my own conversion gives a 2nd trait at level 10, and I'm working on a Weretouched Master feat that gives enhancements based on which traits the shifter has.
>>
>>44471948
I know exactly what it means.

It's no GWM but nondetection at will without cost and blur, blindness/deafness, and disguise self at will once a day is pretty strong, and nondetection is a 3rd lvl abjuration spell so an abjuration wizard can infinitely recharge their ward at lvl 4 and basically become a second HP bar for the fighter or other front liner at lvl 6 if they need to. It's a lil op if you play it right.
>>
>>44472292
>t doesn't grant proficiency with th armor type
That's somehow even more asinine. Well done.
>>
How do I make a good eath based caster?
>>
>>44472368
That means you pick the plating type that matches your class, making warforged distinct from mountain dwarves.
>>
>>44472523
Be a normal wizard, reflavour all your spells as being earth based.

Mage Armor = armor of the earth.
Grease = oil spill
Magic Missile = Earth Toss
Fireball = volcanic eruption

done.
Remember, DnD is an effects-based game. You can refluff things however you want. Nothing's stopping you from saying that your fighter wields his sword telekinetically, as long as you have the exact same bonuses and damage dice as usual.
>>
>>44472368

Now you're just trying to be a pain in the ass about this.

In 3e, Warforged armor mostly matched the type of armor they'd wear as that class anyway - heavy full plate at +8 or mithral breastplate at +5. There were exceptions, of course; some barbarians might have worn mithral full plate, etc.

5e is actually better about encouraging you to wear the type you're proficient in, since the dex bonuses are stricter, and the difference between light and medium is 3 instead of 1. You just pick the Warforged type that matches the kind of armor you plan to wear, that's all. You don't get access to heavier armor than you could have.

I'd honestly bet that when Eberron is actually published for 5e, if they include armor plating at all, they'll do it similar to this.
>>
>Be race with darkvision
>Literally every situation has enough light so useless feature
>Be race without darkvision
>Literally every situation forces me to have a torch or similar
I swear to god the GM does it to spite me
>>
File: dark of the moon.jpg (632 KB, 1280x972) Image search: [Google]
dark of the moon.jpg
632 KB, 1280x972
What do you think the next UA will be about?
>>
>>44473922
More spells. It's always more spells.
And it will never be more warlock invocations, more barbarian totems or more battlemaster maneuvers to access at higher levels.
>>
Can you choose to make standard attacks with your off-hand weapon?

i.e. Could a character with Dual Wielder have both a whip and longsword equipped and make his normal, non-bonus action attack with the longsword while also threatening 10 feet with a whip?
>>
File: vishnu.jpg (134 KB, 741x936) Image search: [Google]
vishnu.jpg
134 KB, 741x936
Would you allow a cleric of Vishnu?
>>
What exactly are you doing when you use a sharpshooter shot? With GWM, you can say you are going in for a huge swing, so its easier to dodge, but is going to hurt if it hits, what are you doing with your bow/crossbow?
>>
>>44473922
Bullshit. 9 times out of 10, it's bullshit.

They forgot to let Warlock be able to summon demon with blood rituals. I have absolutely no faith in UA anymore

I'm convinced that Monday is a lazy day for them, or a day that they go over their itinerary. Tuesday is their Monday, because it's the first day where they have outlined work to do so that they can not do it. As such, they throw some shit together last minute and let "the people" do all the work (testing)

For the rest of the week, they pull the dnd team and have them do customer service
>>
>>44474770

aiming for something specific
>>
>>44474770
Shooting for more vulnerable parts that are harder to hit?
>>
>>44474770
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJTXpItCqFU

Character learning the Sharpshooter feat
>>
>>44474705
There is nothing that says one hand is your main hand as far as I'm aware
>>
>>44468462
Speaking of literacy, the charts of XP per day actually result in about 4-6 encounters per day, and the description there says it's more to know when your party will need to rest. You don't have to fully wear out the party. It's just a different style.
>>
>>44474658
I want a warlock invocation that curses you to turn into a creature of your patron every night. If fey you turn into a pixie, tiefling for fiend, small beholder for great old one, and zombie for undying.
>>
>>44468531
If you only have two encounters, then they're either really hard and you rest between them anyway, or they're not hard and who cares which player shines when the game is so easy?
>>
>>44474744

Sure. If Anubis and Thor are in the PHB, then why wouldn't I?
>>
>>44466599

I ran two awesome Eberron campaigns in FATE. Why would I ever come back?
>>
File: 1446781158816.png (13 KB, 418x359) Image search: [Google]
1446781158816.png
13 KB, 418x359
>>44475076

>FATE
>>
>No one else picks a healer AGAIN
>Everyone complains that we have no healer
I hate my group sometimes
>>
>>44475212
My group usually has the opposite problem. Although we rarely play primary healers, we usually run at least a good reserve and then survive other ways.

Example: 3.5 Eberron campaign. No true healer, but we had an artificer and all had healing belts (from Magic Item Compendium).

Example 2: Current 5e Campaign. Paladin (Lay on hands), Druid (Cure Wounds), Sorcerer (Favored Soul /w Cure Wounds), and a Ranger (Spell-less variant, has healing tonics).
>>
>>44474980
Not sure if you know this or not, but characters do things besides hitting monsters in D&D. A lack of encounters leads most party members to not want to short rest; not short resting means characters like Monks and Warlocks will be less willing to use their abilities throughout the day because they know they won't get them back until they go to sleep. So they end up feeling like dead weight.

"Which player shines when the game is so easy"...are you sure you don't think you're in /vg/ right now?
>>
Today my halfling fighter tripped a bear and the peaceful cleric threw a bag with 11 vials of alchemist fire at a drider. We had fun.
>>
Has anyone made a 5e conversion for Mystara yet? I thought it was a really cool setting but no one gives a shit about it anymore
>>
>>44472803
...Or, you know, let your class handle that. Like it does already.

>>44473346
Given that the PHB already encourages players to go scores, then race, then class, not really.

Given that both Keith Baker AND the UA did effectively the same thing, which was the +1, I highly doubt it.

Making the sole difference between subraces an AC would be boring and lazy. You'd be more likely to get warrior, scout, and MAYBE psiforged if psionics come out first.

That's a big fucking maybe.
>>
>>44466639
Just treat different armor settings as Sub >>44467543 oh...beat me to it.

I agree with this, but also think there should be options for Warforged Scout sized Warforged.
>>
>>44468656
There's a temp Artificer Wizard Tradition from WoTC and their unearthed Arcana, and Kieth Baker has his own write ups from his blog.
>>
>>44476018
Fuck me sideways I forgot about Psiforged.

That's a better split than plating.

Why not go the route from 4E where warforged could wear armor, but flavor it differently in that there are multiple but limited flavors of armor equipment that warforged may equip that integrates with them? Like a bonded magical item? I dunno...I'm reaching for straws.
>>
>>44476018

>scores, then race, then class

That's bullshit and you know it. That may be the "official" steps in character creation, but nobody chooses their stats, THEN race, THEN class. That's something that is decided all together. You don't know where you want your stats until you know your class, and your race is chosen to facilitate (or not) with the same.

Keith Baker simply agreed with the UA because he wasn't familiar enough with 5e to mock up an entirely different system for them. UA just went with a quick and dirty solution.
>>
>>44475977
Why were a bear and a drider in such close proximity?
>>
>>44476247
>but nobody chooses their stats, THEN race, THEN class.
Ayyy, hearsay.

>Keith Baker simply agreed with the UA because he wasn't familiar enough with 5e to mock up an entirely different system for them.
And then he wrote his own. Did his own artificer, too.
Keep up or stay mad, anon.
>>
>>44476361
>And then he wrote his own. Did his own artificer, too.
His artificer was Cleric Based...correct?
>>
>>44476396
Yes, but not an archetype. Reflavored some shit, made int the SCA, gave it some new spells that made it able to heal constructs and stuff.

It's better than the ua artificer, but frankly, most things are. Alternately, his first proposal was "REFLUFFIN YA WARLOCKS UP IN THIS BITCH."
>>
File: SoM.jpg (792 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
SoM.jpg
792 KB, 2560x1600
Is there any way to make a kick ass dude like this? He has some cool abilities that can be replicated through Magic, but mainly he's an all around swords/dagger/archer guy. I was thinking EK but it doesn't seem to fit right.
>>
>>44476626
I do like refluffing things.
>>
>>44476307
Underdark caves. We're not really sure how they got the bears down there, but they had been tamed by derro who were violently murdered for setting a bear loose at us. Then we ran into giant spiders and a drider, who we attempted to trade the bears for a friend they had captured and planned to eat. They tried to rip us off, so a fight broke out.
>>
>>44476691
Oh, me too. And artificelock tickled me a lot in good places.

I liked the idea of invocations being a batman belt. Devil's sight is night vision goggles, EB enhancements are scopes and shit for a magic crossbow, that kind of thing.
>>
>>44476686
>>44476686
Hard to say. Somewhere between EK fighter, Ranger, and undead patron blade pact warlock. All could effectively work so it mostly depends on how you wanna play it.
>>
>>44476759
Good show. Glad you had fun.

I feel like derro are surrounded by enough gribbly underdark horrors that they wouldn't need to import a bear. Maybe there was a shipping mixup.
>>
>>44476759
>>44476989
[spolier] this happened in the OotA campaign I am assuming. It's quite the fun campaign, our group skipped the spider room so it took me a bit to realize the setup.[/spoiler]

So any other fun stories you willing to share?
>>
>>44477098
And this is why I hate posting from my phone XP

My apologies
>>
>>44477098
Not stories so much as odd happenings. Like our peaceful cleric and bard horribly failing to calm down any situation. The druid once turned into a giant spider and ate a bunch of little spiders who had swarmed over and covered him. There was also the Law and Order chase, but I told that story.
>>
>>44477247
Interesting. My group has a water cleric who can't swim and a perverted deep gnome druid. Also I'm a warlock of Baphomet and I'm best friends with the cleric. I have some fun stories if anyone is interested but I've shared a few of them in past threads.
>>
>>44477372
Now is that a water cleric who actually can't swim or one who rolls poorly? Like on paper my fighter is sneaky and the bard has a silver tongue. When the dice hit the table, my equipment is made of bells and the bard better keep his goddamn mouth shut this time.
>>
>>44477641
Poor rolls. He literally dove into the dark lake (and found a mummy with some solid loot) and after the fight we literally spent 20 out of game minutes sending in people and ropes to get him out of the water. Luckily he got a ring of water walking later, though it ended up in me riding his body across a large pond so I would not get wet.
>>
File: Printer_Friendly_MPG.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Printer_Friendly_MPG.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44476007
>>
>>44466599

is this a new announcement? when does it come out?
>>
>>44478980
No.
>>
>>44478994

Oh.

Bummer.
>>
And the Paladin, though he was little more then a common man with a sword an a cause, saw the suffering of the people. And at the request of the elders, went to speak with Asmodeus and beg the cause of the people.

And so he went into the depths of hell, where he was stopped many times, but every time the demons came before him he told them of his mission, and they found themselves unable to deny him.

Thus he came to Asmodeus and stood before the King of Hell on his throne and said
"Asmodeus, Please go."
And the Lord of Demons simply laughed.

Again the Paladin said
"Asmodeus, Please go."
And Asmodeus, high on his chair and secure in his position, took an interest, and asked the Paladin why he should do this. To which the Paladin replied;
"Asmodeus, Please Go."

He of Eternal Fire an damnation now took offense and looked the Paladin in the eye. The Paladin felt true fear then. His strength drained from his limbs, his movement sluggish. But he took faith in his cause and his righteousness, unflappable in his determination, and said
"Asmodeus, Please Go."

Asmodeus whiped his demons into a frenzy at this, the twisted abominations cavorting, their unbreakable iron chains rattling. But the Paladin saw this as no disadvantage, for his faith kept him strong. And through the demonic fesitivities he pleaded
"Asmodeus, Please Go."

And Asmodeus stopped, confused that a mere mortal could do all this, and asked, in true bewilderment where a slip of a man got such courage, hoping that he could learn of valor and strength. But the Paladin only said
"Asmodeus, Please, Go!"

And Asmodeus looked into the man's heart and saw that it was strong, and pure. He knew that if he cast him into the flames the unflappable Paladin would never cow, and never surrender. And at the and of eternity there would still remain himself, and this Paladin. Asmodeus hesitated, wondering what had come before him. At this faltering the Paladin roared
"ASMODEUS, PLEASE GO!"

So Asmodeus left.
>>
>>44479216
>except asmodeus did not leave
>He just turned invisible and impaled the Paladian
>He now sits in a cage bound in scorching chains with a massive hole in his chest, spared solely for his courage and faith but ultimately damned until a band of adventurers comes to his rescue.

Asmodeus did not become the Lord of the 9 hells through sheer chance. No single mortal could dispel him with mere words.
>>
"Infuse Potions
Starting at 2nd level, you can produce magic potions. You spend 10 minutes focusing your magic on a vial of mundane water and expend a spell slot to transform it into a potion. Once you have expended a spell slot to create a potion, you cannot regain that slot until the potion is consumed or after 1 week, at which time the potion loses its effectiveness. You can create up to three potions at a time; creating a fourth potion causes the oldest currently active one to immediately lose its potency. If that potion has been consumed, its effects immediately end."

Does this mean you can make unlimited healing potions as long as you have the slots? You could make 3 healing potions, drink them, get healed, then make three more. So what if the "effect ends", the healing has already happened?
>>
File: 1404033281968.png (16 KB, 174x231) Image search: [Google]
1404033281968.png
16 KB, 174x231
>running Out of the Abyss
>level 7 party gets to Zuggtmoy
>she tells them to leave
>party immediately charges her and starts attacking
>party wipes, obviously
Well I guess that campaign's over.
>>
File: turtle cartographer.jpg (438 KB, 1007x1500) Image search: [Google]
turtle cartographer.jpg
438 KB, 1007x1500
Hi /5eg/. My mates and I just started our first ever DnD campaign and I got the job of DM (I'm a longtime /tg/ lurker thanks to my 40K past, but this is my first proper TTRPG game as well). We're running the Lost Mines of Phandelver adventure from the Starter Set, and my players have just reached level 2.

One of my players is running a Mountain Dwarf Fighter with GWF, and has expressed an interest in multiclassing but doesn't really know what will be any good for him. One thing to note is that the player himself is an engineer and a maths whiz, and when we play board games he tends to break down the crunch and try to find optimal strategies, including recently trying to solve the permutations of a farming sim.

Are there any tips I can give him, any suggested multiclassing combos for level 2 fighters?

Since I reserve my right as DM to make rocks fall on his character's head, I'm not worried about letting him turn loose his inner powergamer, so any suggestions of multiclass builds that would maximise his damage output to potentially broken levels are fine by me.
>>
>>44479740
Does he have the stats to multiclass? I mean he could go barbarian or something, but its alot harder to break a build via multiclassing than it was in older editions. I would say Fighter to Paladin would be a fun multiclass to roleplay (maybe he had a near death experience after getting ko'd?) but you need some charisma to be effective...
>>
>>44479740
The strongest path for him is continuing on as a fighter and grabbing the Great Weapon Master feat.

More often than not, multiclassing increases versatility, not flat numerical power. There are some exceptions (paladin + charisma caster for extra divine smite, monk + rogue). He's unlikely to hit harder than pure fighter ever could.

If he doesn't have any idea what he wants to do with multiclassing, why bother?
>>
File: 1429149699095.jpg (211 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1429149699095.jpg
211 KB, 1024x768
>>44479740
Most multiclasses in 5e merely spread a character's raw power into utility. There aren't any that crack the game open, at least more than a straight class. Straight Battlemaster his most powerful option at this point, unless he wants to start dumping all levels in Paladin, which would be a sidegrade at best.
>>
>>44479740
What's his stat lineup? Multiclassing in 5e is still limited by ability scores, so his options are limited depending on what his primary and secondary stats are. For that matter, what weapon does he use?
>>
File: dragon 3.jpg (310 KB, 1600x1150) Image search: [Google]
dragon 3.jpg
310 KB, 1600x1150
>>44479770
>>44479836

I don't have his stats to hand (character sheets are hard copies), but iirc he has beastly STR (17 or 18, he's got a +4 modifier for sure) and similar CON, and INT was his dump stat. Sounds like paladin or cleric levels might be an option for him, if he's willing to leave his inner munchkin at the door.

>>44479781
>>44479784

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on to him and let him make the decision of whether or not he cares about optimal builds (he probably does).
>>
File: Image.jpg (44 KB, 397x416) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
44 KB, 397x416
>dat advanced female warforged who just came from the future
>dat dire warning she gave
>came to incite us to defeat her enemies and save the future but only incited my robot girl fetish
>>
>>44468037
I made an 18 AC Cleric wearing chainmail and a shield at level 1. It's easy.
>>
>>44480060
The proposed warforged homebrew would have 20 with a shield.
>>
File: a trustworthy sage.jpg (191 KB, 1096x729) Image search: [Google]
a trustworthy sage.jpg
191 KB, 1096x729
>>44479836
>>44480033

>For that matter, what weapon does he use?

He's wielding a greatsword for the 2d6 damage, with a backup pike for reach and a pair of handaxes for range. Last session he mentioned he might end up selling the pike soon, since he's never used it once.
>>
>>44480073
Oh, well fuck that.
>>
>>44480033
>>44480074
Str and Con doesn't leave him much options. He needs 13 Wis to go Cleric or 13 Cha to go Paladin at minimum; obviously having higher scores in each stat will make the class features he gains more effective.

Perhaps he might want to consider going Barbarian, but likely the most optimal choice for him would be to, as suggested earlier, to stick with Fighter and grab GWM down the line once he's gotten his Str to 20.

Indeed, if he has no other ability scores at at least 13, he CANNOT actually multiclass into anything other than Barbarian.
>>
How long until the next UA and the next book now?
>>
File: cliff faces.jpg (139 KB, 1680x945) Image search: [Google]
cliff faces.jpg
139 KB, 1680x945
>>44480132

>Indeed, if he has no other ability scores at at least 13, he CANNOT actually multiclass into anything other than Barbarian.

I'd forgotten this factor, thanks for reminding me. I'll have to check his stats next session and go from there.

Cheers /5eg/
>>
>>44480162
Next book is unannounced, next UA is next month.
>>
>>44480162
The next UA *should* be on the 4th, but considering the holidays I could see it getting delayed a week.

Next book is unannounced, but I imagine they'll make an announcement sometime in January.
>>
Help /5eg/ I accidentally reincarnated the BBEG. What the fuck do I do?
>>
>>44480263
Kill it?
>>
>>44480270
I cant he bluffed us and got away. Now the party is down a PC and the BBEG is free, young, and only short a few magic items.
>>
>>44480313
Then track him down and kill him again.
>>
>>44480313
Put out a bounty on his head and hope some young hotshot gets a lucky shot.
>>
>>44480321
Damn I was hoping for a clever idea about how to kill him fast.

The DM has basically outright said that we are all retarded.
>Fighting the BBEG
>Wizard gets antsy during the fight when the paladin goes down
>Decides to allahu akbar the BBEG by breaking his staff of power
>He gets blown up with the BBEG
>They were both humans so I grab what I assumed was the PC's hand
>Took about six days to get back to town and cast reincarnate
>BBEG bluffed that he was the player
>BBEG steals mcguffin and teleports away at first opportunity
>>44480332
I would but the guy is (according to the dm) about twice as strong now. I dont think we can wait for a band of adventurers to catch up enough to be a threat.
>>
File: snug smug.jpg (37 KB, 552x571) Image search: [Google]
snug smug.jpg
37 KB, 552x571
>>44480457
>breaking a staff of power to take out the BBEG
That would be a rad story to tell.

>DM then lol i tricked u to bring the BBEG back
And the DM ruined.
>>
>Playing AL, still on HotDQ
>In sky castle, dead dragon
>DM says cantrips can't melt ice around treasure
>Our Wizard summons Fire Elemental
>DM says make a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw
>Passes, asks what happened
>DM says you're not sure, then "Make another saving throw"
>Passes
>By now the party is looking for the attacker
>Hiding in a tunnel
>"Make another saving throw"
>Fails
>DM says you lose concentration to Charm Person
>Point out Charm Person doesn't break concentration
>"I meant the other one, hang on" Starts looking through PHB
>"...Command?"
>"Yeah that one. Command Word Embolism"
>Have to fight Fire Elemental, minus Wizard who is making ConHe said Fort first saving throws

This is only the start. I can continue.
>>
>>44480535
I'm not quite understanding this. The wizard summons a fire elemental and... what? The DM is a vindictive shit for a caster getting around his arbitrary restrictions (big surprise)?

Either way, you should just not do AL if the DM is that big of a shitter. Join or run a Roll20 game or something, your experience is likely to be much better simply because you can vet both players and DMs more easily and have a bigger pool of both to choose from.
>>
>>44480486

It could still be good. A villain getting off like that is pretty intense. The DM calling you retarded for it and not giving you an out is pretty gay though.
>>
>>44480590
Just cut it off at the breaking of the staff of power and the wizard and BBEG getting sucked into the void. No one needs to know.
>>
>Introduce a friend to Dungeon Meshi
>He decides to join a 5e game I am in
>Makes a fighter who dipped rogue
>Has expertise in nature and with his cooks utensils
>Spent most of his starting gold given by the DM to buy spices
Well at least we eat like fucking kings while we adventure.
>>
>>44478374
You, I like you!
>>
I want more prestige classes god dammit.
>>
>>44480610
Come up with some ideas and make your own.

Then share them and get laughed at for trying to add them into 5e.
>>
>>44480535
>dead dragon

How? Our DM always makes every dragon we fight run away at the last second.
>>
>>44480635
My DM tried that once. Earthbind is a son of a bitch. Low enough level to spam until they fail and punishing for creatures like dragons who would rely on their flight to flee.
>>
>>44480610
I just want a master thrower prestige class/feat/ANYTHING

Thrown weapons suck in 5e and that is a fucking shame.
>>
>>44480535
>Defeat Fire Elemental
>Sorclock casts Fly, and goes down the tunnel after the attacker
>While gone, attacker reappears in another, unconnected tunnel
>DM says the dragon corpse starts moving and attacks the party
>Suspect Animate Objects, but AC, and damage don't match
>Ask what spell it was
>"Animate Dead"
>Point out Animate dead takes a minute to cast and only works on humanoids. Also within 10 feet, but we hadn't noticed that inconsistency
>"It's okay, she has a gem."
>Now fighting Dragon Skeleton and occasional Flame Strikes, minus Sorclock (and a rogue gets KO'd)
>DM complains they can't find the stats for a Dragon Skeleton in the MM
>Uses some e-tool to make them up
>Win, start hurting the attacker No idea on stats or even name As the Sorclock returns
>Attacker retreats, out of sight
>Sorclock follows, quickened 3rd level Scorching Rays, Eldritch Blast, dead attacker
>DM complains that's OP bullshit.

I wish there weren't 8 people on the other AL table, but I know why this table in the past has gone down to 2.
>>
Why is nobody talking about "Command" but they shit their pants about Dissonant Whispers?

With command you negate their turn and have the enemy provoke AoO, and if you cast it as a lvl2 spell you can use it on 2 targets.
Negating their turn sounds more powerfull than 3d6 dmg to me
>>
>>44475390
Does your party literally never eat? If you go all day without any challenge, the party should still manage short rests because they still have to eat and if they try to travel for 16 hours a day they will die.
>>
File: smile_and_optimism.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
smile_and_optimism.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>44474658
>More spells. It's always more spells.
>And it will never be more warlock invocations, more barbarian totems or more battlemaster maneuvers to access at higher levels.
>>
>>44480933
They're both good, but keep in mind that Dissonant Whispers can provoke opportunity attacks.
>>
>>44479465
The real big deal is potions of growth. Enlarge for level 1 slots that lasts hours with no concenration.
>>
Was there ever a Summoner homebrew made for 5e?
>>
>>44481113
None that /tg/ made. A quick Googling shows there's plenty of attempts out there.
>>
>>44481123
First result from Google was D&D Wiki, so I'm a bit sceptical about it's balance.
>>
>>44480975
This has always bothered me about the games I play in. All but one DM have never used food or rations. I always stock up on at least 3 days worth in the minimal chance it'll be used but it never is. At least my first DM was the type to say, "it's [insert time of day] and you're starting to feel hungry" I liked that in the games. I know if I ran it, I'd add it to my games.
>>
>>44468424
>>44468539
Or just call it manifest destiny.
>>
>>44479672
HAHAHA! Yes!
>>
What is the point of Blade Ward?

Why cast it instead of taking the Dodge action?
>>
>>44481424
Blade ward is guaranteed half damage against physical attacks.

Dodge can make even non-physical spell attacks miss but at some point even disadvantage isn't enough to make up AC/attack bonus disparities.
>>
>>44466599
>So, /5eg/, why aren't you running an Eberron game in 5e already?

Because it's way better in 4e?
>>
>>44481224
>"it's [insert time of day] and you're starting to feel hungry"

I wish my DM did this. I seems like a pretty easy way to prompt for short rests, deduct rations, and remind us that our characters are human(oid) beings with needs and not some kind of delusional killer robots that spend a third of their time in low-power mode.
>>
So I'm rejoining my old group I used to game with for some 5E shenanigans. We have a dwarven cleric, human greataxe battlemaster, high elf Wizard, halfling? Rogue, they died but the Dmitry worked with him offscreen so now he is a burnt figure who is pretty much the same character, a ranger, and another elf of some kind, they didn't really make an impact last session I sat in on.

I'd what to make, I was thinking a lock would be fun, doing the tome pact and pretty much being an EB spammer and using my spells for more utilitarian purposes. I've seen people talk about going sorcerer for more spellcasting power, would that be a good choice?

Also were playing Princes of the Apocalypse if that helps, I'm starting at level 3 everyone else is level 5
>>
>>44466599
>why aren't you running an Eberron game in 5e already?

Because unlike you, I'm not a fucking normie to be easily swayed by le oh so ebin jew.
>>
>>44481590
This was back in the 3.5 days too where there really weren't short rests, it just fits better now that there are.
>>
File: baitsu.jpg (209 KB, 756x1100) Image search: [Google]
baitsu.jpg
209 KB, 756x1100
>>44481621
https://niceme.me/
>>
>>44466639
>>but 3.5 Eberron felt built around 3.5.

it was and wasn't.

1) It was built around 3E in that they took a look at how 3E really ramped up the avilability of spellcasting and magic item access in D&D. This led to lots of people asking questions like, "Why can't you just use healing spells to get rid of disease? Why don't wizards cast continuous flame and fabricate to make money? Why don't cities use decanters of endless water?" Eberron said "Sure. In our setting they do".

2) In 3E, people started clamoring for more race options. They wanted to play golems, and werewolves, and dopplegangers, non-evil necromancers, and non-evil orcs/gnolls/goblins/drow/other monsters. DMs didn't want all those special snowflake/mary sues running around. So Eberron made those things "normal" in the setting, so that you're just one of thousands of non-evil Necromancers in the setting.

3) The Dragonmakred House races are all found in the PHB and only PHB.

4) Action Points were more or less directly lifted out of Unearthed Arcana.

But at the same time, it pioneered a lot of concepts that would be popularized in 4E, particularly in its approach to running a campaign.
>>
>>44481003
>You speak a one-word command to a creature you can see within range. The target must succeed on a W isdom saving throw or follow the command on its next turn. The spell has no effect if the target is undead, if it doesn’t understand your language, or if your command
is directly harmful to it. Some typical commands and their effects follow. You
might issue a command other than one described here. If you do so, the DM determines how the target behaves. If the target can’t follow your command, the spell ends.

>Flee. The target spends its turn moving away from you by the fastest available means.

That's dash + full movement, he can't use his action to disengage unless you're fighting in a closed room.

Then again I guess some DMs could rule him provoking AoO as direcly harmful
>>
>>44466639

4e Ebberon was pretty damn good.

Mostly because a lot of it's stuff worked very well with 4e. Plentiful low level magic items and 4e artificers.

I'm not looking forward to the next attempt at a 5e artificer.
>>
How do I get good at backstories?
>>
>>44481821
Did 4e Eberron do anything with residuum? I was thinking an artificer could work off of that idea, to enable but limit permanent magic item creation.
>>
>>44481963
Residium was just residium as normal, IIRC.

Artificiers did get to create items their level+3 instead of just their level tho.
>>
>>44482029

Yeah, that and a lot of their powers were Short-Term enchantments and golems and such.
>>
>>44481963
>Did 4e Eberron do anything with residuum? I was thinking an artificer could work off of that idea, to enable but limit permanent magic item creation.

Eberron already had dragonshards, which were residium before there was residium. I think they just fluffed it as resedium being ground up/raw/uncrystallized dragonshards.
>>
File: RATTLE ME BONES.gif (1 MB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
RATTLE ME BONES.gif
1 MB, 360x360
>mfw get dragged into a 5e game by my sister's friends
>mfw have only touched pathfinder as far as D&D goes, but have a 5e player's handbook in pdf form
>mfw three other players all seem to know less than I do about how the system works
>GM is getting overwhelmed trying to learn and explain everything

It will be a level one oneshot, I grabbed sorcerer more out of reflex than anything, and we have a warlock, a rogue, and a cleric. Nobody will know what they're doing, and I still have to explain how saving throws work.

Ignoring that I still need to skim the basics in case the poor GM needs help explaining things , how good is a sorcerer at level 1 in this system? I know I have a damage cantrip (thank you WotC), so I won't be a total waste of space like pathfinder, but I'll still have to worry about juggling a warlock and rogue who've no clue at what they're doing and a cleric who thinks they're an MMORPG healer. How fucked am I?
>>
>>44482361
Completely. You're the dm in a session or two.
>>
>>44482361
Sorcerer at level 1 has a pretty limited pool of stuff to use, but so does everything in 5e. Stay out of melee and use your spell slots wisely and you should be okay. Get into melee at all and well... 5e at level 1 can be pretty lethal.
>>
Does anyone ever use myconids in their games? I have a whole fungal jungle dedicated to a mushroom kingdom of fungaloids.
>>
>>44482467
>You're the dm in a session or two

Since it's a oneshot I hopefully do not have to worry about that, but this will make me get off my ass and grab the rest of the 5e pdfs and read them.
I was almost prepared to go full autism with pathfinder, but realized inflicting that on new players was criminal.

>>44482490
Level 1 combat in any form of D&D is disgustingly lethal. I pumped CON second and took draconic, so I might have a chance at not immediately folding over if the dice don't hate me. Thankfully sleep and color spray still look crazy good at low levels.

>Cleric player egging me on to pick fighter
>"we need a tank!"
>tanking at level 1
>this is the one player who claims to be in a campaign
>>
>>44482552
Heavy armor + shield fighters and paladins are decent enough tanks at level 1 (from experience), primarily because their AC compared to most low-CR monsters' to-hit is so good. Low-level barbarians that use their rages appropriately are decent, too.

Nothing's foolproof at level 1 in 5e, though.
>>
>>44482552
Fighter would be fine too, and "tanking" in this case is just not folding over in a stiff breeze.
>>
>>44480764
Report his dumb ass to the head of the adventurers league in your area if it's official play, or if it's not then talk to him about his BS or quit. There are no such creature as a Dragon skeleton in the MM and if it's not in the campaign book it's not a creature the DM can throw at you unless he planned ahead for it with stat blocks and all.
>>
>>44467543
>You may not wear armor

But Armor wizard is love now, nerd. Get that spell failure faggotry out of here.
>>
>>44474770
Unleashing a rapid-fire volley of automatic bolts at a nigga
>>
>>44481611
Sorclock is considered very strong because you basically get the powerful EB invocation and another invocation while remaining a full caster, but personally I would either go full sorcerer or full warlock because both can be effective and I just don't like multiclassing.

As for which class is better, sorcerer is the better blaster overall because of more spell slots, but EB is a very strong cantrip if you get agonizing blast and tome pact allows you to cast rituals from any class as long as you get the ritual in your book. Personally I would go sorcerer but what you should do should depend on what you think you will have more fun with.
>>
>>44481424
If the enemy hits more than 50% of the time, or you can't see them, or they already have disadvantage.
>>
>>44481801
That doesn't necessarily use up its action on Dashing, since it doesn't say so, but it would provoke OAs unless their fastest movement is like Teleport 150'.
>>
>>44482916
>Sorclock is considered very strong because you basically get the powerful EB invocation and another invocation while remaining a full caster

Also more spell points from short rest slots.
>>
>>44483224
It's honestly not a big difference, you only have a couple warlock levels and short rests are few and far between.
>>
>>44466599
Because 5E is a hot mess of garbage that people praise because they're casuals who want the game system to build their characters for them

Yep, I think I got all the points.
>>
How do you handle large groups of enemies when using miniatures and a grid?
>>
>>44483377
See >>44481642
>>
>>44482848

So pick the armor type your armor wizard is wearing, ya goof. Cannith didn't build it into the default model is all.
>>
>>44483332
>short rests are few and far between

please refer to >>44468285
>>
>>44468285
I get in maybe one or two combat encounters per session.
>>
>>44483224
You're giving up spell slots as high as 6 and 7 for those pact magic slots.
>>
>>44483468
The guy who made that shitshow of a homebrew said that you're not proficient in your own body's armor.

So, no.
>>
>>44483730

So pick mountain dwarf or multiclass like everyone else? I don't think WF are intended to be a ticket to free armor you couldn't use otherwise.
>>
>>44483653
2 levels of warlock is not giving up those slots you dipshit.
>>
>>44483862
Look at the spell slot progression from level 19 to 20, dumbass. Yes you are giving up slots, even if they aren't your highest ones.
>>
>>44483924
>Implying games last to level 20
>>
>>44483987
>implying you aren't giving up stronger spell slots for warlock levels
>>
>>44483987
Levels 18, 19. and 20 are the only levels you aren't delaying spell progression if you dip warlock 2. 18 gives a 5th level slot, 19 gives a 6th level slot, 20 gives a 7th level slot. At every level, a sorcerer gives up spell slots for a warlock dip. Eldritch blast isn't worth that unless you're a DPR autist.
>>
>>44483822
>I don't think WF are intended to be a ticket to free armor you couldn't use otherwise
... Which is why neither wizards nor KB even suggested that in their prototype materials.
I get it, I really do: you wanna be an indestructible killbot at level 1 who doesn't afraid of anything, but the brew you're defending is boring. I love warforged, and if you're gonna sub-racial them, then at least make it interesting:
- +1 STR
-- Guardian: +2 CON, can meld with medium/heavy armor as part of a long rest to reduce Dex/Speed penalties
-- Scout: +2 DEX, size small, darkvision
>>
I'm thinking about monks.

How important is it to have Acrobatics and Athletics? If you don't have Athletics, won't you just be a limp-wristed dork that can't even swim or climb?
>>
>>44484335
Checks when swimming rarely come in to play. You can swim at half speed and only need to make checks if something bad is happening (like getting stuck in a whirlpool). Same with climbing: climb at half speed, check only required if it's a really hard climb.

At higher levels monks can run up walls and across water with Step of the Wind anyway.

Having athletics might be nice if it fits your character, otherwise I wouldn't be too worried about it.
>>
>>44484335
Both optional. Acrobatics is nice; mobility never hurt a monk.

Athletics is mandatory if you wanna grapple. Otherwise, don't bother.
>>
>>44484558

Specifically on this subject, what is /5eg/'s opinion on allowing Monks to grapple based on Dex?

I've never played a game of 5e without that rule.
>>
Speaking of, I wish they would have just merged Athletics and Acrobatics into one skill. Things like opposing an enemy attempting to grapple already let you pick either one, might as well just roll them into one skill and allow people to make either Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Athletics) checks, and Constitution (Athletics) for feats of endurance.

https://youtu.be/WUe7Pseb-dI
>implying you can't be a Dex grappler
>>
>>44484661
For those with players that want to be grappling monks, it's great. It's even RAW, going with the "different abilities for skills" variant in the PHB.

As a DM I'd allow it if it came up.
>>
>>44484661
I've never stuck to the idea that monks = martial artists personally. One can be a martial artist without being a monk. I'd rather not give monks special mechanics for grappling in a system with such easy multiclassing. A rogue dip for athletics expertise can shore up a monk's grappling ability easily if the player desires that.
>>
>>44484661
I allow it in games I DM, but you don't get a proficiency bonus for it.

I've never asked to be allowed in games I've played as a monk.
>>
>>44481929
Practice, man, practice. And be sure to get feedback too.
>>
>>44481929
Don't worry about a character's life story. Think of one interesting thing and expand on it. My first character with a good back story started from the idea that he's obsessed with cooking exotic ingredients and got the idea to adventure for exotic game after he tasted the meat of a displacer beast. Everything I developed came from lines of questioning related to that idea.

i.e. What led to him tasting a monster?
i.e. What tools would he travel with if he wants to cook weird creatures?
i.e. What skills does he need to deal with things like monsters that secrete poisons?
>>
Are there any online resources for spells? I'm lazy as fuck and hate how I have to check my wizard spell list and then flick over to the entire spell catalogue to find out what they do and flick back.
>>
>>44484684
Re: video

A 3-level dip in Paladin actually is a lot of fun if you're flavoring your monk as a wrestler. It's MAD as fuck, but:
> lay on hands: pumping up your partner
> channel divinity: putting over, building heat
> spellcasting: set pieces
> divine smite: finishing move

But at all optimal, but I got some good rolls and thought I'd have fun with it.
>>
>>44484923
http://www.dnd-spells.com/
>>
>>44484947
I like this one more:

http://dndmagic.com/

Fewer features, but it's better presented.
>>
>>44482802
>if it's not in the campaign book it's not a creature the DM can throw at you unless he planned ahead for it with stat blocks and all.

Baloney, you can just wing it.
>>
File: 1450999130380.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1450999130380.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>44484923

>http://www.dnd-spells.com/spells

The greatest resource I have ever seen.

>http://hardcodex.ru/

If you want the convenience of having templates for physical game printouts. Also, all of the spells are inherently sorted into classes.
>>
Someone quickly give me a synopsis of why Eberron is the best campaign setting, I can't quite sell it to my play group
>>
>>44485032

Dark Sun Lite.
>>
>>44484974
>Adventurers League
>just wing it

Anon...read more closely
>>
>>44485032
Magitech zeppelins, son.
>>
>>44484929
Why Monk/Paladin, as opposed to, for instance, Barbarian/Paladin or Fighter/Paladin?
>>
>>44485032
Lightning rails, airships, an ever-shifting continent of lost civilizations, no interventionist deities or established high level adventurers, playable golems, lycanthropes, and doppelgangers, non-standard big bads (rakshasas). The setting is built to be run like an action movie or a detective story.
>>
>>44484974
In home play you could but in AL you and your DM can't just make things up. If it's not in the allowed rules or in any of the books it is not legal to use.
>>
>>44485261
Martial arts damage dice, unarmored movement, open hand technique people-throwing shenanigans.
>>
How are storm sorcerers supposed to work in combat? Run in, pop a spell then float out?
>>
I ran an Eberron campaign back in 3.5, I loved it. My friend was Dinobot, a warforged Druid, A paladin on a holy quest to root out lycanthropes, and of course my favorite thing ever, Adam Nantine, an incubus Bard, got an artifice to make him a special guitar that blasted out ghost sound and other spells. The rest of the crew backed him up as managers or dancers. It was a ridiculously good time.
>>
>>44468229
>the reason why I still have to support IE8 at my day job.
Off-topic kek
>>
>>44482361

sounds like you're going to have to be back up dm.
>>
>>44485032
Halfling barbarians riding dinosaurs.

A country of monster races run by a hag coven.

Magic airships and trains.

A race of robot men.
>>
>>44485985
I think that's about right. I may try one out soon and see how well they work.
>>
>>44486348

Also the planet/universe is made out of dragon.

So it has the most dragon of any setting even if you don't include a single dragon in the campaign.

Even the dungeons are made out of dragon.
>>
>>44487114
Not to mention the dragon Illuminati.
>>
I've been thinking about running a mini-campaign in a frontier setting where the environment is as hostile as the people and monsters the players encounter. I know 5e pretty well so I'd be most comfortable running that, and it wouldn't force my players to learn something new, which I'm sure they don't want to. Problem is, though, that 5e has a class and background that, when put together, would remove pretty much all environmental challenge: the ranger and the outlander. With those two, the party could potentially never get lost and never lack food or water.
How can I tweak 5e to remove or tweak those to maintain the challenge of the setting without removing too much player agency?
>>
>>44487158
Focus on stuff other than resource tracking for wilderness danger. The ground gives way into caverns unexpectedly. They have to scale down a waterfall to avoid spending a day going around it. The stumble onto some quicksand, and are then attacked by stirges. They wander into an ettercap's layer and are swarmed by its giant spider companions. Some fey are a bunch of dicks and put their stuff up in trees, dumping out food and attracting (owl)bears. They're caught either retreating or powering through a forest fire. And so on.
>>
>>44487158
If you want things to be really difficult, remove darkvision from PC races entirely and enforce light restrictions. That will make them squirm.
>>
>>44481224
>>44481590

Something I don't like about 5E is how many features there are to waive stuff like this.

Got an Outlander in the group? There go the foraging rules and the need to track rations.
>>
File: 1432593186325.jpg (41 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
1432593186325.jpg
41 KB, 450x600
I forgot where I read this, but I'm sure I saw someone say for skill checks in 5e that you can use other stats instead of the default stat when you roll? So can I Intimidate by flexing my character's swole muscles, or become friendlier with an NPC through theatrical acrobatics?

Need confirmation on if you can flavor your skill checks this way.
>>
File: skill variant.png (363 KB, 357x377) Image search: [Google]
skill variant.png
363 KB, 357x377
>>44487414
PHB page 175.

It's DM fiat but it's technically RAW.
>>
>>44487414
It's a DMG rule, which means it's DM's discretion.
>>
>>44487444
>DMG
It's in the PHB.
>>
>>44487414
It's a variant rule, page 59 of the Player's Basic Rules or page 175 of the Player's Handbook.

It's a neat idea but it gives the example of using Strength (Intimidation). Which means That Guy who plays the 20 Strength, 8 Charisma barbarian will always try to spin it this way.
>>
>>44487516

It'll be a case by case basis. Not everyone has to be scared of the swole big guy; a zombie won't give a crap to a flexing dude. It just gives classes more options, and also more RP potential.
>>
>>44487653
It sucks when the rules give it as a concrete example though.

It makes Charisma more useless and just means That Guy can use it on every intelligent creature. Throw in someone who isn't magically scared of strength, and they'll complain you're breaking the rules or whatever.

Strength isn't even intimidating. I'm a twig but I don't find strong people scary, no matter how big their flexing muscles are. They have to say something or act menacing to be scary, which is Charisma.
>>
>>44487776
"That guy"s are easy to deal with if you have enough back bone to put them in their place or to tell them to fuck off and find another game. There will always be more players than DMs.
>>
>>44482916
>>44483224
>Sorclock is considered very strong because you basically get the powerful EB invocation and another invocation while remaining a full caster
At level 5, you're a half caster. At level 9 you're a 3/4. At 13 you're a 5/6. At 17 you're a 7/8 caster.
>>
>>44487776

Did you read what I typed? It doesn't HAVE to work everytime That Guy does it. As you said, flexing people don't scare you, so the muscle flexing is just there but the real check has to be done with Charisma.

Don't have such a stiff mindset; this is what leads to bad DMs and/or players.
>>
>>44488060
I would say that a DM arbitrarily deciding flexing your muscles doesn't work on X NPC is a sign of a bad DM. Better to just avoid that ruling from day 1.
>>
>>44488060
It's a variant rule so I'd rather ignore it entirely.

I'm happy to bend, break, or ignore rules, but that's been a given in D&D (and printed advice) for decades. But having something like this in print and then disallowing it can lead to arguments.
>>
File: e9d.jpg (16 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
e9d.jpg
16 KB, 600x600
>>44488232
>>
File: 1418328232946.png (509 KB, 733x1200) Image search: [Google]
1418328232946.png
509 KB, 733x1200
What is the most efficient means of corrupting and tainting a sacred, goodly-aligned sentient artifact?

I'm playing Out of the Abyss and I want to mindbreak Dawnbringer to the dark side.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.