[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wargame Mechanics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: Conflagration-Miniatures.jpg (139 KB, 1000x664) Image search: [Google]
Conflagration-Miniatures.jpg
139 KB, 1000x664
So /tg/, what are some wargame mechanics that draw your attention? Ones that you like, ones that you hate, ones that you think almost do it right?

And to get it out of the way, no TLOS fighting. Absolute TLOS is shit, area terrain rules help TLOS, etc, etc.
>>
>>44465963
Card mechanics in addition to dice.

Can add a lot of detail that would otherwise be awkward to resolve.
>>
>>44468733
Cards used for things like objectives and random encounters is a nice addition.

I also remember older editions of Confrontation had modes where you used unit cards to determine activations.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 539x273) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 539x273
>>44465963
How do you guys feel about 'zoneing'?, sorry about the tape measure and will entirely and have a movement based on which square they occupying the map?

a few games dead zone dust tactics do it.
>>
>>44471153
I'm not a big fan of systems that need special maps to play.
>>
>>44471773
That's understandable but you're already shelling out for the minis.

It gives exact distances for stuff like area of effct and movement.
>>
>>44472372
Its more logistics for a nice board than cost. DUST and Dead Zone aren't bad, because they are flat urban surfaces that you put terrain on top of, so you can use its easily for other games. But then you have the issue of size differences; I have no idea if DUST and Dead Zone use the same square sizes.

Simple maps laminated is fine, I just prefer nice terrain boards.
>>
File: Slide8.jpg (211 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Slide8.jpg
211 KB, 960x720
>>44471153
Whilst normal 6x4 boards of hex terrain is pretty damn awesome, it does require a lot of effort to do. Though the amount of additional elements of planning that are allowed for by having an easy way of having secret target points for reinforcements, artillery and so on does add an amazing extra element to games. But in terms of practicality and affordability (and that it's really fucking hard to convince wargamers to actually spend money on terrain rather than figures), grid based combat is unfortunately best left to games supposed to be played in small spaces.
>>
>>44471153
They're ok but I need to have boards/maps/sheets to play on. Where as I can just play on plywood and cokecan city.
>>44465963
I tend to like alternating activations or some sort of integrated turn mechanism. The mechanics for malifaux are great but I have my issues with the company/art design.
>>
>>44474331
>>44472940
Just to be clear it's not a 'space' like in battle tech. A 'cube' is considered room size. Do you work line of slight and cover and stuff from the corners in dust which work great. If somewhat board gamey. Annoyingly dead zone still uses TLOS.

Nice map by the way.
>>
>>44465963
I need good mechanics for scifi weapons, since otherwise I'll have to rip off 40K.
>>
>>44477367
You're roll the relative number random generator modified by your stats and versus the defensive stats of your opponent, What do you want do exactly?
>>
>>44474660
Wyrd's getting their act together, but they need to build back that good will after the fuck up that was the transition into 2nd.

>>44475694
Nah, my problem isn't the mechanics, the mechanics for games like that are easy. Its just a hang up when it comes to games that need "extra" things, which is my own personal hang up. One that I've been getting over lately, though.

>>44477367
What's the core resolution system you're using?
>>
What're people's thoughts and feelings about one roll resolutions in wargames?

I'm working on a system where players roll against each other, and the degree of success determines damage. Models have an attack value and a defense value, roll a D12 for each point and choose the highest, and subtract defender result from attacker. Weapons used have 3 damaga numbers, if the difference of the rolls is 1 or 2, take first number of damage, 3-6 and take the second, and 7+ and take the third.
>>
>>44482262
Opposed roll systems can be quite nice, they don't really save any time but they keep both sides engaged.
>>
>>44483061
That's a bigger thing than speeding it up. Resolution bloat should be avoided, but I'd rather have mechanics that interact with both players than focusing on straight speed. Its why I prefer things like alternating activation than IGOUGO.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.