[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games That You Regret Getting Into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: mercs.jpg (842 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mercs.jpg
842 KB, 1920x1080
I'm sure we've all been there at one point or another: There is a game that you haven't tried before, and it catches your eye just right. But upon getting into it, the magic vanishes in the blink of an eye, and you're left with a game that you regret spending your time and/or money on.

What do you regret getting into, /tg/? It can be anything - from minis, to CCGs, to RPGs.

I liked the look and sound of MERCS, but the mix of glacial relelase schedules, poorly worded/tested rules, and very limited playerbase has doomed the game to paperweight status.
>>
Golem Arcana

Gorgeous models, fun premise, but I can't get anyone into it, and using an app makes things more fiddly than I care for.

At least the models are nice to look at...
>>
>>44465930

MTG, Mechwarrior: Dark Age, pretty much any game with random boosters.

I have an uncanny ability to pull garbage nobody wants.
>>
Same boat with you.
I also regret infinity. The game is just fucking tedious at every step. My painting skill isn't high enough to do any justice for the models, rules are incredibly bloated, no one has done any support for android users for ease of army creation. I thought it was going to be sci-fi tabletop Valkirya Chronicles, but it ended up being a bookkeeping nightmare.

Right now infinity models are collecting dust and one day I will get few stuff I have to be my magnum opus of my painting.
>>
I bought a bunch of Malifaux stuff right before mkii came about, which completely killed off the entire local community that had previously thrived.
>>
>>44465989
I've seen the figures in a few stores, and each time they look either a bit malformed, or like the paint was rubbed off. If that normal, or did I somehow stumble upon a bunch of boxes from the same crippled production line?
>>
>>44466334

Early on there were some production problems. One of the factions though (Zykia, the plant golem) look messed up until you actually get them out of the packaging.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 653x439) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 653x439
Grew extremely tired of the player base in my area.
>>
File: nanachicks.png (65 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
nanachicks.png
65 KB, 600x300
Numenera
Just, why
>>
Yeesh
Where to start?
I bought an arcane legions starter set.
Mercs CCC force
Mechanicum warrior and hero clix and the wizards star wars game and epic right before that went out the window.
Here's just hoping that batman and dzc don't go that way.
>>
>>44467914
You brought that upon yourself, Anon.
>>
>>44468250
DZC I'm optimistic about, since they keep up with a release schedule, the company has been growing at a steady rate, and they are willing to errata rules to try and tinker with balance based on community feedback.

Batman, I'd be very cautious about. Knight seems to be weird as fuck about selling their stuff. Used to see stuff all over online, but now it's mostly out of stock and not looking like it will get a restock. Also think I read somewhere that there is some weird legal bullshit that limits where they can sell their stuff.
>>
>>44467914
>>44468311
What's the story with this? The site mentioning Kickstarter, and some art show award for some trailer video seem like red flags, but nothing concrete.
>>
>>44468545
Eh, it's p. bloody great for babby's first tRPG, because they don't have any ingrained habits.
It's those habits which tend to spoil the experiences when playing it.
It's pretty good, my personal favourite, actually, but the habit breaking needed is annoying.
>>
>>44468311
Since this is buyer's remorse thread, I don't think he's anything special
>>
Magic: the Gathering and Mechwarrior: Dark Age. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
I also regret Reaper Bones but that isn't their fault. I just don't have any motivation to paint.
>>
>>44470796
It's great to practice on, though. Better than getting super nice models and either being terrified of ruining them and never painting them, or painting them poorly and feeling that everyone you game with is judging you for giving a primo model a dumpass paintjob.

Migt as well give it a shot, anon. Turn your regrets into prowess.
>>
I regret buying some X-wing models to play with friends since it's a chore to find dove for all the little pieces and extremely delicate models. Also the rules are kind of a chore to remind my friends about every turn when they forget them.
>>
File: Army shot.jpg (249 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Army shot.jpg
249 KB, 1200x900
Dust Warfare has been my biggest regret. The models are fun, the rules are quick and easy, but nobody played it. Nobody. And that, coupled with the complete fuck you from the devs when it came to rule updates for Warfare (the Tactics portion is still going strong) made my sell my stupid fun Axis. Sort of wish I hadn't sold them, but such is life.
>>
i have a sickly feeling the latest deadzone kickstarter might be mine
>>
File: Konigsluther.jpg (86 KB, 799x559) Image search: [Google]
Konigsluther.jpg
86 KB, 799x559
>>44472065
>Tactics is still going strong
When I saw MiniatureMarket liquidating their stock, I had assumed it was being dropped and going tits up. Guess it's good to know it isn't dead.

I had considered getting one of the big walker tanks as a neat desk ornament for work, but that usually winds up with me adding to the collection, which tends to see me wind up in a thread like this.
>>
MtG. I'm not a competitive player and I regret pouring as much money as I did into it. I should sell off most of it, but it's largely commons and shit nobody wants and I'm a lazy fuck.
>>
>>44472821
Bought myself and my girlyfriend a walker each along with all three of the card decks to supplement the core set I've had kickin around. She loves playing it and she loves diesel-punk. Kinda glad its going tits up, the models are actually reasonable prices now.
>>
>>44465930

Warhammer 40k.
>>
>>44473409
Yeah, now is the best time to buy them. Kinda sad, the game had a lot of promise, but a lack of support killed it.

I remember seeing Axis walkers for ten bucks over the christmas sale. Never a good sign for game longevity (but certainly nice on the wallet).
>>
Relic Knights and Sedition Wars, I got a pile of stuff but never use either. Best use I got out of relic knights were the quite nice objective tokens that are just numbered plastic discs. Either way I haven't really mini gamed in a while.
I regret my infinity purchases as the game is so-so but I can't bring myself to ditch the models.
>>
>>44471901
>Also the rules are kind of a chore to remind my friends about every turn when they forget them.
Do you occasionally regret your choice in friends, too?
>>
>>44465930

Well MERCS is getting 2.0 this coming year. Hopefully they'll fix the delays and badly written rules (Great rules though, they just needed to explain them much better)
>>
>>44478426
Looking at the 1.9 rules, it might be okay, but there do still seem to be a lot of sloopily worded bits (berserker being able to technically wipe an entire table in one turn, until clarification came down from above).

I'd like to see them get the rest of the exoansion kits out, and see 2.0 rules though. I really liked my Waza group, and would love to add in an ISS or Sefadu kit to demo with, instead of it rotting in my case never to see daylight again.
>>
>>44465930
I got into Mercs and liked it. I got CCC, House 4, and Kemvar and had fun with each of them. The group I played with just gouse ruled alot of the BS wording in the rules and we all came to a happy medium. The group went their seperate ways but I still get people to play demo games with my mercs and I've been looking to get a new group going in my area. Its a fun game that can quick and to the point, also its similarity to Xcom enemy unknown had me sold as I love that game.
But a game that I regret getting into was Warhammer Fantasy battles. Went with orcs. Had fun painting them and general orkyness but the community in my area before AoS was some of the worst human beings I have ever encountered. Then as I started to look into a Brettonian Cavalry Army to play against some friends that got into the game AoS comes out and everyone jumped ship. The game is literally extinct around me.
>>
Most mini games.

People lose interest and they're expensive.

I like my xwing shit cause it's easy enough to just pick up and play. Also Heroes of Normandie cause it's easy to store and lug around a bunch of cardboard.
>>
File: 1439811784558.png (39 KB, 368x484) Image search: [Google]
1439811784558.png
39 KB, 368x484
I put too much money into MtG and both Warhammer 40k and Fantasy, considering I almost never play them and don't care for the Games Workshop lines much at all.
>>
>>44478426
Seeing the sheer size of that book, and how well they write rules for their other games (I'm looking at Mercs:Conflict in the eye), I'm not too sure about how this will end.
>>
Every collectible card game I've ever gotten involved with.
>>
Servants of Gaius

i was lured in by the patron system which turned out to be really fucking basic and pointless.

also it was an rpg about fighting a sea god without any rules for being at sea past a single stat determining how fast you moved.
>>
>>44481429
Weren't they behind rules for that Myth or Mythic game that was a complete mess?
>>
>>44470796
My only regret is that I didn't get more bones. If you want to get rid kf aone let me know.
>>
>>44473477
I'm with you there. I haven't put as much into it as you, I imagine. Power armoured models are just not versatile for other games and I couldve spent the time painting stuff for use in a broader range of games.
>>
>>44465930

Yu-Gi-Oh.

My main regret is that I spent a lot of money on it, while I could've played via Dueling Network and so on.

For some reason, I can't understand how Pendulum Summon works. I must be growing old.
>>
>>44481499
oh also the book of exalted deeds holy shit that was bad and after the high quality of the book of vile darkness to.
>>
>>44481429
Yeah, the rules are fun, but balance seems a bit hit or miss for some factions, and the wording is often an absolute mess. The fact that they designated a forum member as their official rules interpreter is a bit unnerving, as even his FAQ rulings can read a bit unusually at times.

As mentioned, Conflict and Myth only add to the pile.
>>
>>44481429

Well it's a great game so I'm willing to put in a little work to find out how to play it.

My big hope is them amping up the release schedule. I get that they were a very small company but they really needed faster releases to keep interest up
>>
>>44465930

40k, without a doubt. I'm a fan of the setting, and Epic and BFG and the RPGs are excellent.

But the actual 40k game itself sucks donkey dick. If I could go back and do it all again, I'd stick with my first tyranid army for casual gaming w/ friends, get a few minis packs for roleplaying, and then leave the whole thing alone.
>>
Any game with random boosters. Magic, YGO, Mechwarrior Dark Age. All of them just messes.

I greatly regret buying the Robotech stuff, since they'll probably stay in their boxes until the end of time.

Infinity. Solid enough core rules, but too much bullshit with special rules and Corvus Belli seem to think that Aleph should only be Greeks now and told everyone else playing them to either "buy a Steel Phalanx box or go fuck yourselves." I mean; the Vedic half of Aleph has existed since day one of their release and since they've gotten the shaft over and over again.

Warmachine. Solid rules(minus the retardation of "you must move before taking an action, or you don't get to move at all"), but it's just been getting bigger and sillier. And again my faction of choice gets shit on. Steelheads are the most well known mercenaries in the fluff, but PP would rather chrun out Epic 34 of Warcaster A now riding a giant monster on a 600x600mm base.
>>
>>44465930
>I'm sure we've all been there at one point or another
Never had one to be honest. Will be interesting to read some responses in this particular topic.
>>
>>44485649
Oh, and 40k and WHFB. I still rank 40k as the worst game I've ever played.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.