[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should the guards in a Sci-Fi prison wear reflective, face-concealing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 19
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 588x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 588x420
Should the guards in a Sci-Fi prison wear reflective, face-concealing helmets for anonymity and intimidation, or translucent helmets to increase prisoner sympathy?
>>
Depends how you want your players interacting with them.
>>
>>44460671
Why the prisoners should feel sympathy for the guards?
>>
>>44460683
I want it to make sense within the setting. Reading about real-life high-security prisons gives inconclusive results.
>>
>>44460697
Less likely to murder them during a riot. Theoretically anyway.
>>
>>44460697
Makes them far easier to manage. Won't work on hardcore psychopaths or gang members, but can be tremendous help with the majority.
>>
>>44460671
How tyrannical do you want them to be?
How do you want your players to feel about them?
What is the prevalent philosophy on crime and punishment in their society?
What kind of prisoners are they guarding?
Are you aiming for a dystopian or Utopian tone?
>>
>>44460697
Faceless goons are easier for non-sociopaths to murder. Making your men look human might not deter everyone, but it deters more people than it doesn't.
>>
>>44460671
>guards in a sci-fi prison
Penal colonies are a thing for a reason, OP. Stick your undesirables at the bottom of a gravity well and blockade it from orbit. Drop supplies in unpropelled "pods" made of ablative foam with spinfiber drogues.
>>
Face concealing

Also they wear giant powersuits so they're bigger and taller than any of the prisoners.
>>
>>44460704
Historically, both have been employed. Instead of trying to find an objective better one, think of how the prison is run and what the execs may have in mind.
>>
>>44460704
Doesn't have to be like real life. It can make sense wither way - it really does come down to what sort of emotional response, or lack thereof, you want to evoke.

If you are okay with them mowing down faceless stormtroopers, then go that route. If you are going to flesh out a few of the guard and plan to have them actually talk to them, then go the other way.

Also, what sort of government/faction/corporation pays these guards? That could inluence it too.
>>
>>44460671
Why robots would need helmets?
>>
>>44460671
Translucent, but not for sympathy. So noone can just dress up as a guard and walk past the guards with out everyone wondering "hey, who is that guy and is he supposed to be here?"
>>
>>44460733
Underground, within a network of tunnels on a very inhospitable planet. Prisoners are used for mining. I deliberately used this setting to explain why the company cannot bomb them from orbit once the inevitable riot starts: they can't afford the risk of collapsing the mines.
>>
>>44460760
Does the prison aim to rehabilitate prisoners or just to punish them/exploit their labor?
If the former go with open faces, if the later go with hidden ones.
>>
>>44460760
Just fill the mines with nerve agent gas.
>>
>>44460751
This one's simple. Revolving door exit where you get halfway (ie locked in the small revolving section) and then need to put the personal code and day code in to be released.
If they fuck up, other guards come and check them out at riflepoint.
>>
>>44460760
In that case, faceless. Intimidating your prisoners requires a lot less overhead, and if anything the corporation benefits from reoffending rates, because it keeps their workforce cycling back in.
>>
>>44460782
A similar plan is, indeed, the security forces' "doomsday plan". One of the first tasks for the rioters would be to sabotage their ability to use it. A second would be to disable long range communications to prevent them from summoning help (the company can't nuke the prison, but should it come to this, they could send a ship filled with hundreds of angry, heavily armed marines and mow down the prisoners).
>>
>>44460804
How would they even sabotage it? Logically, the only bits of it that should be anywhere near where prisoners can ever get to should be the nozzles and hoses for the gas.
>>
>>44460826
And I mean those behind grates or in the air vents.
>>
>>44460671
Translucent helmets so you make sure they're FUCKING GUARDS you moron.
>>
>>44460826
Not OP, but...
Imagine the mine/prison. I imagine there's a hab complex for guards near/on the surface, an actual prison barracks lower down, and then the working mine. If I were a guard, I wouldn't consent to live anywhere that was storing nerve gas. So you can't have the gas on/near the surface.

Probably, they'll use something denser than air, and have it between the prisoners and the surface, so there's no risk of contamination. So the PCs might have to push to the security station, capture and hold the gas. Then go deeper into the mines again to steal mining equipment to break the final barriers between them and the guard's hab complex, and through onto the surface, then work out how to get off world.
>>
File: Black Synth Armor.jpg (696 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Black Synth Armor.jpg
696 KB, 1920x1080
>>44460671
>sci-fi
>not having robot guards
are you even trying?
>>
>>44460826
The game is based on a "one little fuckup" type scenario of the type that historically led to concentration camp uprisings, etc. A technical problem temporarily blinds, confuses and limits the capabilities of the security forces (otherwise no riot would be possible at all. The prisoners are all implanted with electrical restraining bolts that could be remotely triggered if it wasn't for the blackout). I'm still working on the kinks but it's supposed to be the type of scenario which would be effectively "unbeatable" without clever exploitation of the fuckup.
>>
>>44460804
Sabotage the nerve gas thing sounds like it would not really be feasible since that would almost certainly requiring shutting off the ventilation in the mines which would have much the same result as the nerve gas. Only slower and probably more painful.
>>
>>44460866
That just puts them on a time limit
>>
>>44460862
Shouldn't such implants have a deadman's switch to trigger if it doesn't constantly receive a signal? Additional information along the signal could trigger specific ones too.
>>
>>44460850
because no method of identification other than looking at a person's face has ever been or will be invented, and certainly wouldn't be used somewhere like a fucking prison
>>
>>44460858
Alternatively, there's probably some kind of air-tight sealing system to keep the nerve gas out of where the guards are. If you can so much as throw the integrity of that system into question, I don't think the guards would be willing to throw the lever. I mean, what percentage chance are you willing to risk being exposed to nerve gas for your job?
>>
>>44460881
Could perfectly be seen as inhuman. Just like now, in the case of fire, we prefer saving the prisoners and giving them a chance to escape than letting them roast in their cells.
>>
>>44460881
In a mine?
You'd lose miners to interference from sci-fi rocks all the time. Hell, regular real-life tunnels suck dick for radio.
>>
>>44460881
That's one of the kinks. I got partially inspired by FWTD's section on a cyberpunk prison, where there ARE deadman triggers on the implants. But that situation was literally inescapable (FWTD is not a merciful game). I want it to just be hard.
>>
>>44460903
Exactly. Keep near the designated areas and you don't get zapped/knocked out/killed.
>>
>>44460862
Highly televised protest and demands for an inspection which includes several celebrities too important for the prison owner to quietly remove.

It's all part of a plan by a rival group to buy out rights to the prison at bargain basement prices when everything goes to shit, so that then they can send in their own forces to restore order.

That's what I'd do anyway, it helps explain why the little fuckups are not only hindering the guards but actively aiding the prisoners in making the riot get worse, it also gives added plot later as the PCs start to realize they're playing along with the plan of a whole different faction (who may well have some of the prisoners in their pocket to assist their plan) and have to go off-script and find their way out before the new warden turns up to curbstomp them all.
>>
>>44460909
Depending on what sorts of tech the prisoners might have access too and if someone really intelligent in radio or code stuff got sent in, they could try to copy the signal and keep a broadcaster for such a thing on their person or nearby for riot stuff.

This also assumes that the prisoners are given any sort of privacy with personal belongings and that the guards don't notice any missing equipment.
>>
>>44460910
And if the radio repeater in your designated area goes on the fritz you lose fifty miners, which is bad for business.

Hell, how do you designate a live mine, with all the chaos and geology going on, safely enough to justify sending workers in the first place? You'd be losing men faster than you could replace them!

Miners need to do quite a lot of work to recoup the cost of feeding, housing, electro-tagging them, and so on. Even without payroll costs (slave labour) they'll need to have an average working life expectancy above two years.
>>
>>44460959
Depending on how the judicial system works, getting more prisoners might not be an issue.
>>
>>44460969
There is a per-miner cost.
Miners make money over time.
If you replace them before they have produced money equal to the cost of themselves, you lose money.
If you do this faster, you lose money faster.
>>
>>44460860
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/meet-south-koreas-new-robotic-prison-guards/
>>
>>44461011
A painful past incident where prisoners hijacked the drones and cost the company billions?
>>
>>44460671
A far better question, should the prisoners in a sci-fi prison wear reflective, face-concealing masks for dehumanization to increase guard efficiency and brutality? Identifiable only by a QR code which brings up their designation and relevant statistics thanks to near-future AR shenanigans?
>>
>>44461009
What, the system wouldn't pay you to take in prisoners?
>>
>>44460671
>Sympathising with prisoners
>>
>>44461023
A ludicrously gimmicky, nonsensical waste of money. Plus, real life prisons (with the possible exceptions of those containing important prisoners of war needed to extract information) have no interest in dehumanizing or brutalizing the inmates. You need to strike a balance of fear that would make them the most docile as possible, not hurt them for giggles.
>>
>>44460720
So Space Australia?
>>
>>44461044
Well, I suppose you could have deliberately unsafe working conditions and then rely on government subsidies to bankroll the bodycount, but at that point just execute everyone and pocket the cash.
Hell, use it to pay real miners.

OR have a fail-safely remote system, don't put nerve gas in your living quarters, coincidentally have a good layout for OPs adventure with a cool foward-back-forward varying-pace structure... Everyone's happy.
>>
>>44461057
But what if the prison is eeeeeevil?
>>
>>44461056
You got it upside down. You want prisoners to sympathize with the guards, because it's easier to control people who cooperate rather than constantly planning to murder you/putting up acts of defiance.
>>
>>44460671
>>44460760
Why is there such a prison? Why not use robutts that have less needs? Experts that could have a hundred times the output?
>>
>>44460671
Reflective helmets are used in prisons containing gang members to prevent them from recognizing the guards and getting their still-free buddies to murder their families.
>>
prisoners hate guards anyway so they might as well be completly anonymous
>>
Anonymous guards can't be threatened/bribed
>>
>>44460671
Why not do both? You're sci-fi, you can have the helmets conceal their actual faces while looking like they're translucent helmets over faces that just happen to be perfectly calibrated to get the maximum empathy from the prisoners in your care.
>>
>>44461136

>The body of a burly mercenary topped off with the facial features of a little girl
>>
File: Babyface.jpg (56 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
Babyface.jpg
56 KB, 720x404
>>44461171
>>
File: 1394741053911.jpg (94 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1394741053911.jpg
94 KB, 600x600
>>44460671
A sci-prison would be purely pharmaceutical - Super Pozac combined with electromagnetic field sedation technology (Watching Barney while keeping the inmates' brain waves at a comfy 3-8hz during 'quiet time', 8-12hz during 'occupational therapy', and only allowing the beta wave state at chow time, personal hygiene, or parole hearings) The diets would consist of high soy (to increase estrogen, reduce aggression) and a lot of vitamin supplements. Obviously, the inmates would become as docile as lambs, so the only requirements for security are some strapping young lads with shock batons. Of course, some inmates may be hard asses, so heavy de-patterning (aided with barbiturates, 18 hour sleep cycles and electroshock) will soften them up. All inmate autonomic (pulse, body temp., etc.) data will be monitored via implanted chips.

So... neither.
>>
File: jesus christ how horrifying.jpg (20 KB, 213x211) Image search: [Google]
jesus christ how horrifying.jpg
20 KB, 213x211
>>44461202
>>
File: 1254957803487.jpg (22 KB, 492x276) Image search: [Google]
1254957803487.jpg
22 KB, 492x276
>>44461202
>>
>>44460671
Giant paper mache bobble heads of the specific guard.
>>
Obviously you should have the guards be able to darken the face plate with a push of a button.

When they're chatting to prisoners, or going about their daily business it's clear.

When they're going to kick the shit out of someone, they darken the visor so the prisoners don't know which guards are beating on them.
>>
>>44460671
The first to make them harder to blackmail and threaten.
>>
>>44461202

I think we need to preemtively overthrow this poster.
>>
>>44461202
Or you could just put a little machine in their brain to make them feel whatever emotion you want. A technology which has existed for decades and was invented by a Spanish guy to help make bull fighting safer.
>>
File: 1375554724040.jpg (70 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
1375554724040.jpg
70 KB, 620x387
>>44461343
A political credit system was created for the citizens. Patriotic actions, such as volunteer labor, community activism, resource stoicism (state debit program monitors all citizen consumption), military service and vigilant reporting of seditious speech and actions increase their score. Increased scores garner access to luxury items, social status, and other perks whilst low scores are used to flag less cooperative individuals who need guidance and correction. The possibility of insurrection is greatly reduced because all good citizens understand the state has learned from humanity's dark history and will never make those mistakes again.
>>
>>44461481
Its a wonder all these free speech types who get pepper sprayed all the time never wear some sort of face covering.
>>
>>44461481
China pls.
>>
>>44461500
A bunch of places have it illegal to hide your face during manifestations.
>>
>>44461481
What I never understand about people who get pepper sprayed is whether they're suffering from some kind of nervous disorder that prevents the normal function of their reflexes. Someone raises a spray can against me, I'll be looking away and putting my hand as close to the muzzle as possible - grabbing and breaking it if I can, and probably going utterly berserk on the wielder shortly afterwards.

Maybe not the last part against a police officer, but still.
>>
>>44461011
>hijinks

That came out of nowhere
>>
File: 1391002655809.jpg (61 KB, 303x293) Image search: [Google]
1391002655809.jpg
61 KB, 303x293
>>44461329
Are you serious? Guards chatting w/ inmates? Any inmate who gets nicey-nicey with the Man is obviously a snitch and his rectal diameter will reflect that as soon the other cons recognize that.
A sci-fi prison would utilize forced conditioning to train the inmates all Pavlov-like. Say the safe word, all resistors fall to the floor in the fetal position. Brain implants are costly (and risky) anything other than a subdermal injection risks facility revenue loss (i.e., prisoner death.)
Albeit beatings are effective, unnecessary medical costs cut into profitability, a we have shareholders to please!
>>
>>44461535
What about a bit of see through plastic? Like a riot helmet but not designed to protect you from anything but pepper spray.
>>
>>44461541
They're too angry to think straight.
Plus cops often have it out already, just not using it, and waiting.
>>
>>44461535

That will terrify ghosts.

Autocorrect fuck up?
>>
>>44460671
Why not both? Helmets with reflective surfacr which can easily be made transparent.
>>
>>44461555
>Brain implants are costly (and risky)
Probably less than you think. They tested them on a bunch of people, including a small child, with no negative effects.
>>
File: 131027a24.jpg (49 KB, 500x650) Image search: [Google]
131027a24.jpg
49 KB, 500x650
>>44461521
I like informed people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHcTKWiZ8sI
>>
>>44461541
it comes out as a kind of mist, covering your face doesn't help as much as you think.
>>
>>44461573
What do they do if you arent on Chinese facebook?
>>
File: 1390998409665.jpg (16 KB, 550x412) Image search: [Google]
1390998409665.jpg
16 KB, 550x412
>>44461571
Sure, but that would make the populace fearful, whereas medicine is good and helps people.
>>
>>44461601
>Sure, but that would make the populace fearful
Not if you give them brain implants.
>>
>>44461202
>>44461216
>>44461232
>>44461343
Reactions like that are how governments can get people to vote for attacking countries they've never been to with vague descriptions of ludicrous atrocities. The prison system comes under fire when guards TALK too harshly to prisoners - hell, half the reason it exists in the first place is because imprisonment is seen as the most humane way of dealing with this type of criminals (as opposed to the far more efficient solution of killing them all). Unless you're dealing with your setting's equivalent of North Korea or Stalinist Russia where there's no free press whatsoever and no power in the hands of the people (in which case, why have prisons at all? You CAN just shoot all the criminals, and use robots for the slave labors such countries normally keep them around for), do you seriously think a prison company could get away with lobotomizing inmates? With freezing them? With applying technologies like mind control, messing with their brains or chemically tranquilizing them (do you know that people get up in arms at the suggestion of chemically castrating serial rapists, which we know to be a lot less dangerous and a hell of a lot more useful than pointlessly sadistic and "evil" uses like these? Not to mention that technologies like these scare people so much for precisely those reasons their very development is constantly being delayed because nobody wants to be the one trying to sell them)?

(cont.)
>>
File: 1389533874353.jpg (215 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1389533874353.jpg
215 KB, 768x1024
>>44461600
I would surmise, once this becomes compulsory, dissent would result in being black listed from employment. A Chinese non-entity would end up in a organ harvesting facility, and never heard from again.
>>
Why have helmets at all? They're just a weak point in the armor. I think it would be a better idea to just have micro-cameras connected to a video feed inside the helmet.
>>
>>44461625
Man I hate social media. I hate the words social media even.
>>
Visors are just a weak point in armor. Use a bunch of micro-cameras and connect them to the HUD that the wearer is using.
>>
File: 1376686451180.jpg (33 KB, 288x604) Image search: [Google]
1376686451180.jpg
33 KB, 288x604
>>44461610
Yes, but implanting the populace would have a negative impact on state production figures - not to mention the sheer number of medical staff it'd take to operate on hundreds of millions in an effective time frame.
>>
File: 1375526527531.jpg (13 KB, 222x260) Image search: [Google]
1375526527531.jpg
13 KB, 222x260
>>44461636
Me too, dude, me too.
>>
>>44461629
>>44461639
Presumably its because its cheaper and because prisoners arent expected to be armed with something that can punch through a visor in the first place.
>>
>>44461616
>B-but penal colonies, you're already sending them somewhere far off and terrible

As has happened many times in history. People are a lot more willing to imagine their criminals sent off to hell than rendered less than humans via technological means. Is it stupid? Perhaps. But that's what you get with the masses.

>B-but Guantanamo Bay

Raised a shitstorm as soon as it was found out about, only survived because it's being ran by the government. A private company wouldn't fare (at least not without massive losses) the PR damage from people finding out they've been secretly mind-controlling inmates.

>>44461136

Completely ineffective. One of the first rules to remember when running a prison is to never assume you're dealing with idiots. If such a system is in use you can bet your liver than it is either known to the inmates or will be shortly, and then you wouldn't be engendering anymore trust from them than you would using reflective masks. In fact, the idea that you were trying to trick them might make them even more hostile. It also sounds stupidly expensive to apply (not in the sense that it's very expensive, just that it's a stupid amount because it's inefficient). Whatever system you're using to project an image of a friendly face on top of a helmet couldn't possibly be as cheap as a fucking plexiglass visor, and for the dubious benefit it might provide you, no prison running company would shell out the funds. It's a system well-known for miserliness (what's with the assumption here that as soon as a technology is invented, everyone everywhere would immediately have infinite access to it?)

(cont.)
>>
>>44461616
>>44461662

>>44460782

Why bother? The prison's on an inhospitable planet. Achieve the same result far more quickly and cheaply (assuming you're the type of imaginary cyberpunk bad guy who can afford the PR devastation of gassing their inmates, as opposed to a realistic company) by opening an airlock for half a minute. Guards survive inside their environment suits (they do have those, right? Or they wouldn't survive a gassing either) while all the inmates are instantly boiled alive/frozen solid/melted/poisoned/crushed by the atmosphere.
>>
>>44461541
I don't know about the police in your country or how they work, but when we got border riots over here we didn't bother with spray cans, we fired tear gas from launchers. Of course, fuckers we dealt with weren't lit students angry that they couldn't get jobs. They came fucking prepared, wrapped up in towels and goggles and balaclavas like they always do. Doesn't neutralize the tear gas but it keeps them a danger. That's when we'd start advancing on them with the batons while keeping an ear on the radio for authorization to fire.
>>
>>44461541
You've clearly never been sprayed with OC before. It's like an oily mist and usually has a range of about 3 feet. Getting any of it anywhere near you you're going to be affected by it.

What's funny is how people stand that close to a cop at a protest and apparently don't expect it.

Also you can't OC spray Puerto Ricans, it just doesn't work on them.
>>
>>44461691

Generally they are thinking 'I'm doing nothing illegal, there is no cause to spray me'
>>
>>44460671
Sci-Fi prison guards will be robots. Period.

Unless you're doing some wacky retro future.
>>
File: 1389003354111.jpg (84 KB, 539x720) Image search: [Google]
1389003354111.jpg
84 KB, 539x720
>>44461690
High frequency sound will be the standard when it gets cheaper. It's non-lethal, don'tcha know?
>>
>>44461629
You're not dealing with fucking Exsurgent mutants, you're dealing with a bunch of unarmed, beefy homosexuals in jumpsuits. It's expensive, it's unnecessary (if things've gotten bad enough you need to worry about "weak points in your armor" it's already way past time to unlock the shotguns, and a anything that'd smash through your faceplate will smash through a camera way more easily). It's also a TECHNOLOGICAL weak point. Despite some people's hard on for high-tech gimmicks, the truth is that most organizations dealing with security (that aren't being run by fucktards) try to MINIMIZE those when possible. A plexiglass visor doesn't leave the guards blind for crucial seconds when a camera (a finicky little piece of electrical equipment) fizzles out, breaks down, runs out of battery, or whatever other awful scenario which would soon result in a shanking.
>>
>>44460697
Seeing someone's face makes it much harder to murder them. There is a reason the Chinese execute people by shooting them in the back of the head.
>>
>>44461726
Yeah, but I doubt it'd be as satisfying to the goons in the Israeli Border Guard.
>>
>>44461727
Right. A handful of shit flung by Bubba just made them micro cameras useless. However, there's been a decline in weight facilities in many prisons, so I think the homosexuals would just be really cut (Zumba) in future prisons - unless the wardens got wise and kept them on a regimen of MLP, Cheetos and Mt. Dew.
>>
File: 1393780714298.jpg (62 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1393780714298.jpg
62 KB, 720x720
>>44461746
You never burnt ants with a magnifying glass, Yusef?
>>
>>44461746
I saw a video of someone testing some invisible ray that makes your skin feel like its on fire. They might have fun with one of those.
>>
>>44461746
Isn't the Israeli Border Guard made of like the guys too criminally psychotic to let in the IDF? I heard some shit scary stories about those fuckers.
>>
>>44461739
Not at all. As a matter of fact, it's not even murder. It's a government employee shooting a threat to his Boss, thus keeping him from the wrong side of a gun. It's self defense, I tell ya!
>>
>>44461702
That's because they don't know what is and isn't illegal.
>>
>>44461794
That's because most most people don't know the difference between legal and just.
>>
>>44460671
Translucent, both for the sympathy and so that a prisoner can't pull on a uniform and helmet and be mistaken for a guard. Helps if the guards all recognize one another and their prisoners.
>>
>>44461781
Nope. Mostly they're just very frustrated. You build up a fuckton of stress dealing with the kind of shit you see on the Israeli border every day, and they don't get "let loose" nearly as often as BBC would like you to think. Having to stand still and raise your shield while an ever growing crowd of hundreds of shrieking rioters flings molotov cocktails at you is bad on your balls. When they think they can finally get away with it, yes: they can get insanely brutal. (I knew one who'd keep smelling salts on him so that when he's done kicking a guy so hard he's fainted, he could WAKE HIM UP AND KICK HIM MORE).
>>
>>44461083
Why do we give tax breaks to our least educated and least capable citizens to have more kids?

Why do we cut down trees to wipe our butts?

Why did a kickstarter to make roads out of solar panels gather over a million dollars when we could just install solar panels on utility poles?

People and societies sometimes have and act on bad ideas.
>>
>>44461773
Microwave Area Denial. Pretty much equivalent.
>>
>>44461827
>Why do we cut down trees to wipe our butts?
What else are you going to use, grass? That is both uncomfortable and awkward.
>>
>>44461802
And unfortunately for them it's not the job of law enforcement to enforce justice, it's to enforce the law.
>>
>>44461842
Sponge has been used in the past, but the more common answer is you use your hand and then clean said hand - it sounds fairly disgusting, but is a thin sheet of absorbent paper really that much protection against shit?
>>
>>44460697
Not only does it make them less ruthless towards guards, but the working relationship improves when prisoners and guards can share things like facial expression and body language when interacting. Prisoners who can identify with the enforcers of their incarceration are more receptive to rules, requests and orders.
>>
>>44461863
>but is a thin sheet of absorbent paper really that much protection against shit?
Much better than none at all. Fuck trees, we can just grow more.
>>
>>44461863
Yes.
Especially if it's followed by paper wet with watery soap.
And then paper again to dry it all.
>>
File: story-7360-7360-xlarge.gif (132 KB, 647x340) Image search: [Google]
story-7360-7360-xlarge.gif
132 KB, 647x340
>>44461773
Literally MAD

Less dangerous than respiratory irritants and baton rounds. Protracted exposure may cause damage to the eyes though.
>>
>>44461907
Thats the one. You can stop it with a mattress though.
>>
>>44461882
>Especially if it's followed by paper wet with watery soap.
Who does this?

>>44461863
>is a thin sheet of absorbent paper really that much protection against shit?
That's why you fold it a couple of times.
>>
>>44461907
At least once we figure out how to pull it off without popping people's eyes off like raisins.
>>
>>44461842
It's the future, you use the Sonic Shower instead.
>>
>>44461824
Sounds like someone has a disorder.....
>>
>>44461863
>what is a bidet
You use the paper for the first round.
>>
>>44461948
Or the sea shell.
>>
>>44461202
>The diets would consist of high soy (to increase estrogen, reduce aggression)
/fit/ pls
>>
>>44461929
The eye thing is only if they hang out in the beam.

It's a pretty funny flaw though.
>we have this new completely safe less lethal weapon. Except it makes people's eyes explode sometimes.
>>
>>44462060
That's the kind of "funny flaw" that costs the company millions and prevents the new weapon from being deployed.
>>
>>44462068
Eyes don't literally explode, there's just some potential for cornea damage if the target keeps their eyes open somehow.

You can technically get very limited second degree burns from it if you're exposed to the beam for a long period of time, but it's still much less likely to cause injury than shit that fires physical projectiles or even water.
>>
File: 1424020575731.jpg (98 KB, 504x470) Image search: [Google]
1424020575731.jpg
98 KB, 504x470
>>44461202
did you describe sci-fi prison or the future of the United States?
>>
OP, first off, stop trying to make this stuff logical because your very premise isn't.

Were it a forced labor mine, inmates would be thrown down in the hole. They'd be monitored remotely with only one entrance -- no guards would ever directly interact with inmates after they were thrown in the hole -- and the prison population would be controlled via access to stuff like food and water.

Oh, not going to mine today? No food for a week.
Oh gonna try to break things? No water for three days.
Trying to stockpile supplies? No food for a month.
etc.

Keep the labor demands just this side of reasonable and the inmate population will police itself.
>>
>>44462275
Yet they had guards at the gulags.
>>
>>44462285
a gulag isn't a hole several hundred feet below the surface where you can control literally everything that goes in or out from a single point.

Hell, you can even shut down ventilation.

The way this works is you make life shitty, but not too shitty. You show them that the shitty of them working for you is a far, far better shitty than them not. With automated systems, remote monitoring, and strict control over resources, this is very possible and probable. Hell, you're more likely to run the place with just techs than with any guards.
>>
>>44460671
The main thing I'd be concerned with would be prisoner escapes.
>>
>>44460671
A completely automated facility. riots and trouble making prisoners are handled via water cannon turrets and serious issues requiring guards and the such will have the area filled with knock-out gas first.
>>
Transparent
If your a big bad evil guy in Sci Fi
Keep a data base of all your men's faces so no one can steal uniforms.
>>
>>44460671
Human approach works better with medium security prisoners, overwhelming force works better with max security prisoners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HYFfFA3OFs
This will never happen with mook guards. Also human interaction facilitates empathy which facilitates less aggressive behaviour.
Only if aggressive behaviour is common enough to be expected as a routine do you go para-military.
>>
>>44461068
Because then you're paying real miners, not getting money for taking criminals AND money from the mining operation.

Since no-one cares (presumably) what happens to these prisoners, you can cut a lot of corners safety wise to increase your revenue. And criminals in your space mine won't be forming a labor union any time soon. If they get uppity, you drag them to the surface to die to the environment in front of the other inmates. Then the new labor shipment arrives and you're still going strong.

Prisons suck, sci-fi prisons more so. The only reason protagonists escape is usually due to an absurd weakness in security that exists only for character B to take advantage of. (Eg: the discussion of "sneak in/out with the opaque helmets" in the thread. Popular in sci-fi, but would be defeated by almost any automated identification process.)

Granted, taking advantage of human faults in security is usually acceptable, but governments and corporations are trying to limit even that today. Placing flash drives in parking lots and either firing or retraining anyone dumb enough to plug it into a work computer. This can make "aww, I forgot my id, can you open up?" even less probable in a high-security position, but still possible.
>>
>>44460717
>>44460710
>>44460706

Implying PC's feel anything about slaughtering rank and file grunts either way.
>>
>>44462808
Implying we want to GM for murderhobos in the first place.
>>
>>44462808
>>44460710
>hardcore psychopaths
>>44460717
>non-sociopaths

They already covered PCs.
>>
>>44460671
Are you trying to rehabilitate your prisoners, are you just being a generic evil and oppressive authority entity and keeping prisoners so you can be evil and oppressive?
>>
>>44461565

french term
>>
>>44463258
>Are you trying to rehabilitate your prisoners, are you just being a generic prison management corporation and oppressive for profit and keeping prisoners so you can generate profit?
>>
>>44460720
Might be easier to guard a locked door than blockade a planet.
>>
>>44460671
I'll tell you one thing, they shouldn't wear armor that makes them look like pregnant women.
>>
>>44460671
>Sci-Fi prison
>guards
For what purpose? Just calculate what the state of the criminal's brain would be after punishment and forcibly download it. Same result, much quicker. They won't even believe it didn't actually happen!
>>
>>44462967
>implying all players don't have a murderhobo inside waiting to burst out
>>
>>44463748
Tell yourself that if it makes you feel better.
>>
>>44461863
Just wash it with water
>>
>>44460671
Depends on what you're going for, if your sci-fi nation is a capitalist hellhole like America then face concealing. If it's a socialist paradise like Norway then translucent.
>>
>>44464005
>implying that future Norway's method of dealing with criminals wouldn't be beheading, followed by uplifting verses from the Koran
>>
>>44461571
[citation needed]
>>
>>44462275
Don't give food to an agressive beefhead, he'll take it from harder-working weaker. Unless you want to keep them separated at all times.
Also, not giving food will seriously maim their ability to work.
>>
>>44462357
>Dante 01
shit movie, tho.
>>
>>44460671
have regular army use reflective face-concealing helmets, along with proper camo for armour, preferably therm-optic one for spec forces.

have prison wardens, officers, generals, and anyone of importance wear translucent helmets, or no helmet at all.

officers and generals can use gestures and body language to better motivate troops and to communicate better in any situation(including negotiations) - but let them have an button, or something, to hide their faces - just as a 'fuck you' gesture - signifying end of negotiations. you see them close their helmet - you know that you've fucked up and only option is to fight them(and lose).

wardens can deter non-sociopaths, and maintain better control over prison - if they have helmet that doesn't cover their face. recruit some prisoners as a 'community wardens' but give them anonymity with face concealing helmets just to fuck with prisoners - they have no idea who is part of that group, nor who will betray them.
>>
>>44460671
Why do you need guards on the station?

Put it on an asteroid. Have a sufficient amount of automated telescopes in the system monitoring all traffic.

Have the automated cargo ships only have enough fuel to make it there, then jettison and self destruct.

There is no escape from that.
>>
>>44460697
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_o_5v92_zE

It's really effective when it works.
>>
>>44460671
That last movie was awful.
>>
>>44460697
It's worth noting that one of the biggest reasons many militaries haven't let their ground troops use full face helmets is exactly because of what people are talking about. Especially in regards to civilian and resistance/terrorist elements.
>>
>>44464955
Why not just send the materials on the cargo ships to some airlock thing and then leave instead of blowing up something that's worth a shit ton more than all the cargo combined?
>>
>>44466122
Because he thinks the point of prisons is to be horrible for horribleness' sake.
>>
>>44460671
>Implying in a Sci-Fi setting they can just edit the thought process of a criminal to "cure" their criminal tendencies...
>>
>>44460671
Yes.
>>
>>44460671
>Should the guards in a Sci-Fi prison wear reflective, face-concealing helmets for anonymity and intimidation, or translucent helmets to increase prisoner sympathy?

Translucent Helmets to increase sympathy as well as make it more difficult to impersonate guards and so forth.

Though... realistically if this was a Sci-fi setting you wouldn't need gaurds or even prisons as you could develop work arounds that were more efficient and satisfying to the prisoner to increase turn-around and conversion.

For minimal offending inmates you could simply hook them up to a matrix-like machine and have them serve their time virtually in an "ideal" simulation so that they experience their service of x amount of years in the span of 1 hour in real time to give them the perspective without actually harming or wasting away their lives.
They'll come out a changed man- as if it was all some fantastical dream.

The second option is much like the first, but you could use futuristic chemical and advanced psychological therapy to solve their own problems and simultaneously make them believe it's their own decision so they go along with it.

The THIRD option though is my favorite and it's where you opt out of rehabilitation and simply abandon them on a habitable planet and forget about them. Supplies and prisoners are dropped remotely from orbit onto the planet in regular intervals at designated sites in the form of care packages with tools, food, water, clothing, etcetera, but other then that they're completely on their own with absolutely no contact what so ever.
Ideally though you're going to want to pick a boring, but comfortable planet with plenty of vegetation, fresh water, etc.. etc.. So the prisoners can eventually become self-sufficient so you can completely close them off and stop wasting time and resources on them.
>>
>>44464595
Look up José Manuel Rodriguez Delgado.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK2Hopm5s_c
>>
>>44461481
Wait a second - this system would mean that even if everyone was being a good citizen, some would have lower scores than others just because they couldn't keep up with the scores of those who are being more vigilant, putting in more hours, ect.
>>
>>44460671
If you want to have a practical explanation for the reflective face covering just say lasers are a thing.
>>
>>44461662
>>44461616

Most stupid drivel I've read today.

> imprisonment is seen as the most humane way of dealing with this type of criminals (as opposed to the far more efficient solution of killing them all).

Efficient for an edgy teenager maybe. Look at how completely dysfunctional your examples of societies who do this are.
>>
>>44460671
>or translucent helmets to increase prisoner sympathy?
You mean decrease, right?
>>
>>44469370
In general, people empathize better with people whose faces they can see, yeah? Did that stop being a thing at some point?
>>
>>44469400
Yes, in a bad prison situation when the guard is everything you loathe about your life it seems reasonable to assume that you'd actually hate them less if you thought of them as inhuman.
>>
>>44469400
I suppose if you could identify which guard was always picking on you and which ones were being nice, sympathy could both increase and decrease.
>>
>>44469461
Thats silly reasoning.
>>
>>44469511
That's a silly argument.
>>
>>44469539
Not being able to see someones face is proven to make it easier to do bad shit to them. Its also proven to make it easier for the guy wearing the visor to do bad shit.

Your idea has absolutely nothing to back it up.
>>
>>44469595
It does, actually, just look at all of those old prison experiments.

A tormentor in a helmet? You won't care, it's just a faceless mook. A tormentor with a face? Kill it dead.
>>
>>44469697
It might at least stop some people. Being a faceless mook wont make anyone think twice.
>>
>>44469794
And not being a faceless mook might get psychopats to hound you for decades before they kill all of your friends and family along with you.

You can use that kind of excuse both ways.
Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.