[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about Wizards being the primary summoners in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: Wizard summoning creature.jpg (236 KB, 640x827) Image search: [Google]
Wizard summoning creature.jpg
236 KB, 640x827
How do you feel about Wizards being the primary summoners in a game/setting?

I ask because I'm making my own game/setting where there are Wizards and blood mages. The blood mages mostly heal, but I think since sacrifices and rituals are pretty closely related to their thing, it might actually make a lot of sense to make them summoners too, to do stuff other then summon and heal.

Would you feel it would step on the Wizard's toes too much for a different class to be able to create and conjure minions? Do you think having this ability would make a mostly-healing class more interesting? (the healing and support abilities also mesh well with their summoning; so they can support their own creatures)
>>
File: FFTSummonerMale.png (961 KB, 817x1302) Image search: [Google]
FFTSummonerMale.png
961 KB, 817x1302
>Would you feel it would step on the Wizard's toes too much for a different class to be able to create and conjure minions?
No, in fact separating magic classes like that should have been the goddamn standard.
>>
File: magic.jpg (121 KB, 500x414) Image search: [Google]
magic.jpg
121 KB, 500x414
>>44456701
Its all completely arbitrary.
Do what you like.
>>
>>44456701
I generally find summoning mechanics for table top games to bog things down a bit because your adding more players to the field who each have their own actions to carry out.
>>
>>44457208
>It's all completely arbitrary

I disagree. There are certain classical ways things are done, and going away from those makes things either impossible to get a grip on and absorb yourself into or just plain irritating.

Dividing magic into classes has been done for a long time but it has to feel good else its just a waste of time and nobody will enjoy it. Especially not the creator.
>>
>>44457174
This. It's insane how people still think "I cast spells" is a valid character concept.
>What's your job on this team?
>Magic.
>What does your magic do?
>Everything.
>>
>>44457349

I agree but the distinction of what spells and what classes get them is difficult.

Remember that in a lot of games the classes try to boil themselves down into the biggest archetypes they can as to avoid having a million classes- instead of having 3 kinds of fighters like barbarians, duelists, and knights you just have one fighting class. In the same way, instead of having a million spellcasters like summoners, evokers, diviners, conjurerers, etc. you only have one Wizard class.

It would also seem kind of unfair for magic people if the Fighter class gets all the different fighting moves but the wizard has an extremely limited selection of magic.
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 472x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 472x700
>>44456701
Have a serious look at the Astral Construct power. Maybe add the ability to cast a spell a bunch of times for a few more points.

You could even fluff it so that summoners control one powerful and invisible demon which gives them the majority of their major non-summoning spell casting punch. From detect magic to horrid wilting
>>
File: image.jpg (290 KB, 1043x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
290 KB, 1043x800
>>44457174
>warmage: evocation and offensive conjugation
>dread necromancer: necromancy. Suggest combining with the Healer class and spell-list allow players to pick which class they want to draw an ability from (specifically: good necromancer)
>beguiler illusion and enchantment, along with a few buff spells
>summoner focuses on summoning

Classes to fill the gaps
>transmuter: start with the synthesist, remove all summoning spells and add polymorph and way more buffs

>abjurer/diviner (wayfinder): take the bard class, make it full casting and half base attack bonus. Turn perform checks into spellcraft checks, increase "countersong's" capabilities with level to dispel magic. Add songs which add deflection bonuses. Remove most non buff enchantment and illusions (silent image goes, invisibility and blur stay). Access to all abjuration and divination. Access to teleport and other blink spells
>>
>>44458198
Oh, and then sorcerers are amazing and cool, instead of gimped wizards. And, there's no ban against learning spells from other schools, it just takes a feat . Or you could get a string of feats with something like Arcane Disciple.

If I were to use this, how would I treat divine casters? I was considering giving all the arcane classes spell points, but vancian Magic makes a lot of sense for divine casters, instead of drawing from a well of spell energy.
>>
Wizards still get companions, but this new class can summon other monsters. Makes sense to me.
>>
>>44457334
>I disagree. There are certain classical ways things are done, and going away from those makes things either impossible to get a grip on and absorb yourself into or just plain irritating.
Except this is a really minor one that shouldn't trigger you.
>>
>>44458198
>Offensive Conjugation
Oh my
>>
>>44458198
I have something similar in mind actually, but more focused.

Sorcerer: Evocation/Abjuration
Warlock: Necromancy/Conjuration
Visionary: Transmutation/Divination
Charlatan: Illusion/Enchantment

So you have an offensive class, a pet class, a buff class and a mezz class.
>>
>>44465171
This doesn't sound really focused, actually, with the exception of the charlatan. And sorcerer and warlock are already classes in 3x, what are you playing?
>>
>>44465274
D20 Homebrew
>>
>>44457960
>It would also seem kind of unfair for magic people if the Fighter class gets all the different fighting moves but the wizard has an extremely limited selection of magic.

??? How the hell is that unfair? A fighter can wound/kill a mortal creature. A wizard can [do fucking everything] with their spells.

Imagine if a fighter with a sword could [do everything], like lockpick a door... with a sword, or convince a king to like him...with a sword, or fly to another country...with a sword, or resist poison...with a sword.

A fighter - even with all his fighting moves - is already very specialized. A magic-user should also be very specialized.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.