[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
13th Age General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
13th Age General. Discuss stuff. To start us off, Why is Monk so OP?
>>
usually generals have links and information
>>
>>44454226
I wasn't aware 13th Age had monks.
>>
>>44454226
Monk isn't OP, where did you even get the idea?

>>44456745
13 true ways has monks, necromancers, chaos mages, commanders, druids and the occultist. It also has multiclassing, which works more like dnd 4e's hybrid classes than 3.5 or 4e multiclassing
>>
I dont have much to contribute, but Ill ask a question to bump.

Why dont people talk about this game much? Ill take that to mean its not very popular. I like it, and enjoy that several mechanics encourage roll playing. Several of my gaming group tend to be at a lose with the role play part of it, and just play D&D as a miniature combat game.
>>
>>44461208
Long short of it is that the mechanics are concise enough to have limited flaws for a d20 game, and the system itself is open but solid enough that it's easy to homebrew for, but hard to find glaring flaws that can't be fixed with like an hour and a half of spare time. Once you play a few games, it becomes easy to really break down and understand fundamentally. So, while this doesn't make it a bad game, it does mean there's limited shit to bitch over, which is what /tg/ enjoys doing most of the time.

Personally, I love the system. It takes all the best parts of 3.5 and 4e and makes them work together well enough that it honestly feel like both a good game system and a good storytelling system, something I felt 5e failed spectacularly at.
>>
>>44462537
It's also super game-y, and I found it boring to play.
>>
>>44454226

13th Age is a good game if you like being handed a class and don't want to do any customization.

Some neat ideas but falls flat on the fact that designers think simplicity = good without any other merits or depth.
>>
>>44461208

I don't know much about it desu, but I'd like to hear more
>>
>>44462629
I'd agree with that, the options within classes are far too limited. Some classes will, if you take them to level 10, have the majority of things available to that class.

I want more barbarian talents, more rogue maneuvers, more fighter manuevers, more everything.

Fortunately there's homebrew
>>
Anyone running a 13th age game? I've wanted to play for a while.
>>
>>44462720
I've considered running one on roll20, but I've never even played in a game on roll20 let alone run a game there, so I'm a bit nervous
>>
I joined a 13th Age group once. I made a dilettante Bard, using a mixture of Songs, Battle Cries, and Spells taken from other classes to be a versatile but weak combatant. I could target AC, PD, and MD at will and dealt decent damage, so I figured my knowledgeable background would help me realize enemy weak-points and strike there.

My character's One Unique Thing was "I am the only credible biographer in the whole world." Basically he made a living interviewing rich and interesting people and writing down their story. He'd met generals, magicians, priestesses, and kings, so that justified the eclectic (and weak) ability set he had - it was all second-hand knowledge and skills he'd cobbled together.

The game never happened. The GM never showed up for the first two sessions he planned and then couldn't make the later ones. The most I got out of 13th Age was inspiration to make my own homebrew. It's a good system with some very clever ideas, especially ones involving combat placement and class roles.

If there's any problem with 13th Age, it's that the exploration and social systems just aren't deep enough, and rely too heavily on the Icon system. Icons work... if your setting includes hugely powerful entities that are god-like in power and nature, if not actually gods. My games don't usually have those kinds of people, it's NobleDark (think Berserk) so most of the time the party is fending for themselves or dealing with normal humans.

Though, my opinion may be heavily flawed since I never got to PLAY the damn thing.
>>
>>44463016
> Icons work... if your setting includes hugely powerful entities that are god-like in power and nature, if not actually gods

Not necessarily. The way it's meant to work is that Icons are the organizations associated with them more often than the Icon itself. Low level players aren't likely to speak with the Emperor so much as they would be a royal emissary after all.

I always entertained the idea that the Icons represented syndicates more than individuals, each with their own allies and enemies. They're used to cut a line between good guys and bad on a more simplistic scale, but with more depth available than alignment. It can also breed intrigue when you know you're playing sides, perhaps multiple at a time.

I don't like the way the dice system for them works though. It can be helpful at times, but most of the time it doesn't do anything, and sometimes it even detracts from the players efforts for a specific Icon. I play a bit looser with it myself, since it's more used as a story development engine than anything with a notable mechanic to it.
>>
>>44463237
This was how I was going to handle icons, though I never got around to running the game. I was giong to use 13th Age to run a game set in Ravnica, which is a gigantic fantasy world that is 100% city. The Icons would've represented the 10 guilds that run day to day life. Not everyone's in a guild, but everyone knows about the guilds and knows somebody who's in a guild.

It works better to think of the Icon as a symbol for their whole faction, I think. It also helps if the players ever get into a situation where they DO meet the Icon (not that they should), because it's less about your personal relationship to that one person (which probably doesn't even exist) and more about what they stand for in the game world.
>>
>>44462791
Post skype info? I'm interested in running a 13th age game myself, and wonder how many people would be interested in doing a sort of episodic, round robin gm-style of game. Same goes for anyone else who is interested.
>>
>>44464014
...I can't remember my skype info beyond the name

Marsupial Mole
>>
>>44462629
> don't want to do any customization

If you want customization you really shouldn't be playing in a class-based system,
>>
I'd be leery of running 13th age for anything other than a stable group with good attendance.

OTOH, I'd love to play in even a one-shot. I have a dorf pally who's OUT is that he's the only paladin of the Dwarf beer god I'm dying to try out.

13th age even makes fighters look interesting.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.