[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Savage Worlds!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Example-Timid-Halfling.jpg (94 KB, 600x419) Image search: [Google]
Example-Timid-Halfling.jpg
94 KB, 600x419
>What is Savage Worlds?

I don't have the use copy paste of link but rest assure it's a fun genetic universal system, leading towards to Gamest side of the coin.

If fast high stakes quick and dirty battles and gripping tales of adventure! are your thing realism over detailed technical realism of say GURPS or or the meta collaborative mechanics fiction of FATE, then SW is for you, it's about two fists heroes doing daring do.

>So if it's so good how come /tg/ never talk about it…

Savage worlds doesn't any major bullshit to argue about. There is no painfully broken supplements to power game nor hold pretentious of depth to ridicule. You roll your dice, kill some baddies and have fun.
>>
>>44453756
I agree with basically all of this.

The only reason I don't play it anymore is because I played exclusively Savage Worlds until I got sick of it.
>>
>>44456772
What do you think to the skill system?

The whole D4-2 seems too penalising to me. I want ability stats to be useful outside just character creation.
>>
>>44456899
Ability stats are definitely useful outside just character creation. Skills are mostly for certain specific actions and types of actions, so you usually don't actually use many skills outside of what you focused on. Moreover, they can always spend bennies on it if they really need that hit.

Keep in mind, there's always that 18% chance of them getting a 4-2, and then after the reroll, a 2 or higher in order to succeed in something they're completely terrible at.

I usually let people roll their ability stats instead of their skills if they wanted, in general circumstances. For example, if someone has a knowledge character with like 3 Knowledge skills, you don't want to punish them by saying 'oh, you don't have Knowledge (Underwater Basket Weaving)? That's an unskilled roll.'
Instead you have them roll Smarts for it. It's only when they have something very specifically a Skill that they have to roll for it.

Keep in mind, you only have to roll skills if there's combat, or a time crunch, or a stressful situation. If you're just plucking at strings and messing around, you don't have to roll- it's when you're trying to impress everyone in the tavern at your skill with the lute that you have to roll.
>>
>>44453756
I like the game. But:

-weapon balance is terrible
-ranged combat is OP as shit (or, possibly, melee is UP as shit?)
-the stats aren't balanced at all

If you brew/houserule a bit it's good, and it is fast, furious and fun, but it's not without faults.
>>
>>44457019
>I usually let people roll the ability stat instead.

Hey be doing that so far but I do feel guilty because you're effectively punishing people for taking the skills in the first place.

Maybe I'll just say say all skills are at base and then got adjust the point cost.

>>44458869
>Range combat is OP,

Massively so. Especially as there is no range equivalent to Parry.
>>
>>44458964
>Hey be doing that so far but I do feel guilty because you're effectively punishing people for taking the skills in the first place.
It's not punishing if you force people to roll their skills for something that one of the players have skills in.

You customize the game for the campaign. If you're a bunch of swashbuckling pirates, anyone who doesn't take Sail/Pilot is going to have problems, for obvious reasons. But it would be ridiculous for someone to take Sail in a modern, land-bound setting.

>>44458869
>Range combat is OP as shit
Definitely.
>>
>>44459242
True I guess I just have to have clear about which skills they'll be expected to take and which ones I'm just gonna hand wave before hand

On range, how to balance that shit? The only real defences is (realistically) finding cover, but that doesn't suit the general pulp theme at all. Armour penetration doesn't help.
>>
Can anyone of you say that is Interface Zero 2.0 good?
>>
>>44460292
I've heard good stuff about it. But let's be honest. There's not much competition for quality cyberpunk.
>>
>>44460360
True.
Tfw i got shadowrun 5th e, Eclipse Phase, Cyberpunk 2020 and now IZ 2.0 in my shelf and can't think of any other cyberpunk settings.

So what kinda system is savage worlds, because i haven't really played it before or IZ 2.0
>>
File: TroopSheet.jpg (499 KB, 1699x1097) Image search: [Google]
TroopSheet.jpg
499 KB, 1699x1097
>>44460376
Are you asking if savage worlds is good or interface zero?

I haven't play IZ but it's meant to be good.

AS for savage worlds as a whole? Well it's tag line sums it well. it's fast furious fun!
>>
>>44460574
>Are you asking if savage worlds is good or interface zero?
Both and it does look like fast n fun.
Gotta start reading IZ, because it rests on my shelf and i'm interested how good it is.
>>
>>44460595
What I can say is this. It's not with out it's flaws, it's not super balance or minimally detail. But if you run a game with little to not prep time where you roll some bones and shoots some goons in practically any genre or setting you can't go wrong.
>>
>>44460682
Sounds good, because sometimes i i got a little prep time to the next session.
>>
>>44460682
Also is there anything that i should know, like for example shadowrun 5th e edit is terrible and in CP 2020 decking is kinda bad.
So anything that's not so good in skills or other things that are in SW system?
>>
>>44460744
Okay wel i'll get you a full run down.

Character ability stat is base off the die type raging from d4 to d12. Dice explode.

Standard difficult Target number is 4, ever subsequent 4 after (8,12,16,act) is a 'rise'

damage is rolled against the targets 'toughness' stat. Hit it cause the target to be 'shaken', hitting it again or damaging with a 'rise' will cause a wound.

Most NPCs will go down with a single wound. Even players only get 3 wounds but have ways to get out of it.

Players get 'bennies', basically similar to 'edge points' in shadow run. GMs can dole them out for good role playing or blatant favouritism, players can crash them for rerolls and the like.

Check out the quick start if you like

https://www.peginc.com/freebies/SWcore/TD06.pdf
>>
>>44460907
Dice system looks fun and interesting.
What does it exactly do when 'rise' happens?
Also can players get only wounds or can they also die?
>>
>>44460932
Rises are basically just criticals or exceptional successes. You do a bit more damage in combat (extra d6), you lose a condition effect, ect.

Players (and theirs characters) can die if they get enough. But they can make some modified death saves they can recover from it.

While simplify and streamlined greatly compared to say shadow run it's about pretty realistically about. injury and damage. Not particular deathly by but any foe worth stating is a potential threat to the player. It favours decisive or caution play, an attack is either going to put you in a bad place or not.
>>
>>44461098
>any foe worth stating is a potential threat to the player. It favours decisive or caution play, an attack is either going to put you in a bad place or not.
Sounds nice, though i like shadowrun's lethal combat very much.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.