[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mentally impaired characters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: hqdefault.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
So /tg/, how do I roleplay a character who's had a stroke?
>>
Or has anybody played any mentally impaired characters? If so, storytime? How did it go?
>>
>>44452667
I think any advice you get from /tg/ is liable to be one sided.
>>
>>44452667

Don't stroke /tg/'s ego OP
>>
>>44452667

every six turns you forget where you are

every ten turns you forget who you just talked to

every twenty turns you forget what your name is

Use a pipboy with a journal to help your character keep track of what he's doing.
>>
>>44452667
Who was that Maud person anyway?
>>
File: laughing lizard.jpg (134 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
laughing lizard.jpg
134 KB, 500x333
>>44453304
>>
>>44453458
So, just be one of those players who is constantly on their phone?
>>
>>44452667
Just act like you are from /pol/ or /r9k/
>>
File: 1451199476965.jpg (64 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1451199476965.jpg
64 KB, 500x750
bumping
>>
Id help but the only experience i have with strokes is limited, so id just say you need to make sure you dont go overboard with it
>>
>>44452667

I guess it depends on what part of the brain was damaged by the stroke and how severe it is. Also, how far along the character is with therapy, if any, and how effective it is. Consider the psychological impact of surviving it and how people treat the character too.
>>
>>44453191
My friend played a mentally retarded nobleman in one of our campaigns.

Years of inbreeding lead to him basically being Deliverance in an ill-fitting fancy shirt. His family tried to caste him out multiple times but eventually he would find his way back, usually with some sort of small animal he had found.

Eventually they just took him out to the frontier and dumped him there, where he ended up running into my character, a drunken mercenary surgeon/priest, who adopted him as a lug/bodyguard.

He didn't talk much, when he did it was usually simple, short sentences. He behaved childishly in public, had a bizarre interest in sculptures, and a habit of being good with animals, if not a little rough by accident. He also flew into tard rages in battle, being by and far one of our most effective fighters.

He ended up having to carry an Orb of Annihilation, which is basically a miniature nuke, into the center of a massive army filled with fire and wind cultists who were marching to a local town to do battle with and destroy a cult of water and earth cultists, who had their own orb that would drown everyone, in a town nearby, before eventually going out to destroy some of the faraway trade cities. He used a wingsuit to fly into the center, detonate the orb in five minutes, and then use a magical set of claws to dig to safety. Unfortunately two things happened.

1. We forgot about the water orb
2. He only knew how to dig down

So now there's a big lake in the frontier, about a mile across, named Lake Derrick in his honor, though we're not sure if he's dead or if he's burrowed all the way down to the Underdark.

All honor unto Derrick, the Hero of the Frontier.
>>
>>44453191
>Or has anybody played any mentally impaired characters?
I once played a female character.
>>
>>44460565
>le edgy misogyny meme

nice one anon
>>
>>44452667
Looks like she has been hit by a blaster in the head from the thumbnail
>>
>>44460506
I love it. Any more stories?
>>44459955
Not OP, but I once had a plan for a king who had a stroke and lost the throne. Its been a fair while since, and now nothing more than a wandering fool, hes convinced that his successor had cursed him in order to get the throne.
>>
>>44460572
>le triggered tumblr meme

nice one anon
>>
>>44453924
Yeah.
>>
File: 1444850233424.jpg (152 KB, 784x757) Image search: [Google]
1444850233424.jpg
152 KB, 784x757
>>44460689
>>44460572
>>44460565
>having a contest to see who is more retarded
>>
>>44460565
A man is more likely to be retarded than a woman, though.
>>
I can give you my experience. I was aphasic and I guess that I still can't explain what happened with a satisfying degree of clarity, pardon.
Apparently you can write correct things without being able to read or "hear in your head" what you are writing or thinking. I had some problem with stylized drawings but I was able to draw realistically (I never was particularly good at drawing but I think that my technique picked at that time, I think that the brain was compensating). I was good with verbs and bad with names, from what I observed most people are the opposite.
Some abilities never returns, some abilities returns after months of works, some abilities "magically" returns without a warning.
Post-stroke depression is frequent and you can suffer from it after months, when you (think that you) are recovering fine.
Different damages leads to different consequences; you need to do some research if you want a decent degree of realism.
>>
It varies a lot since the nature of a stroke means you can't particularly predict what, if any, long-term damage will result from one.

My paternal grandfather had one in his fifties or so for instance, and while it fucked with his balance a bit and he lost the ability to speak(eventually sort-of got it back after years of therapy, albeit it was still mostly consigned to a fairly aggressive sounding whisper almost). Mentally though, he honestly wasn't affected very much at all, other than lapses in memory here and there and I still remember him being a ton of fun until age finally caught up and slowed him down.
>>
>>44452667
Just be yourself anon.
>>
>>44453924
I punish players
>>
File: 1376537864197.jpg (78 KB, 800x579) Image search: [Google]
1376537864197.jpg
78 KB, 800x579
>>44460650
Any comments on this idea by the way? How would you make it work yourselves?
>>
>>44453191
I played a character who was taken from her parents as a slave for their debt. She was addicted to what was essentially heroin and wound up with shit Int/Wis (7/8 I think?). Dunno if that counts, but it was fun. I really enjoyed playing her. Fun stories include getting yelled at out of character for doing stupid shit even though not doing it wild have been metagaming.
>>
The people I know never quite lost the ability to speak, but lost the ability to articulate. They couldn't properly express themselves; the names of things or the right words for whatever they were trying to express just escaped them, like constantly having it on the tip of their tongues but unable to say it. Made conversation rather frustrating for everyone involved, like a bad game of charades.
>>
File: Terry.jpg (230 KB, 1520x1029) Image search: [Google]
Terry.jpg
230 KB, 1520x1029
>>44452667
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.