[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Custom Rules for Force Powers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: HEADER_IMAGE_ONLY.jpg (6 MB, 8000x4440) Image search: [Google]
HEADER_IMAGE_ONLY.jpg
6 MB, 8000x4440
Hey /tg/, I have a problem I'm hoping you could help with.

I'm making a rules-light Star Wars RPG (in this case, meaning just using a couple of d6 and a basic few stats/skills per character) for my friends and I to just fuck around with on the weekends, and I have just about everything set that I wanted to, except for one hang-up.

Force Sensitivity and Force Powers.

I want the GM to have a system that allows him/her to secretly determine randomly whether or not a character is Force Sensitive, and how closely attuned to the Force he/she is.

Secondly, I have to make a list of Force Powers that players can learn to use and a system that keeps them balanced.

Any ideas? I want to have dedicated Light Side/Dark Side powers, with maybe a few "neutral" ones like Push, Pull, etc.
>>
>>44450628
For starters, perhaps it could involve a roll for 'Force Potential', if you will. And a character's Force Potential determines how difficult or easy it is for them to learn the ways of the Force.

Example w/ something like a D6 system: Han Solo has a Force Potential of 16 on the d66. Rolling under that to use or learn a Force power is grossly inefficient, and means he's better of as a smuggler. Rey has a Force Potential of 66, the highest value. As a result, she has absurd strength in the Force.
>>
>>44451260
As for Force powers, they ought to be broad to allow for a wide variety of creative uses. For example, instead of having Push, Pull, and Thrust, you could have the broader 'Move'. And as you level it up, it grows from having a saber fly to your hand to lifting an X-wing out of a swamp.

Neutral Powers
>Move: Move things with one's mind.
>Enhance: Accomplish amazing feats of acrobatics.
>Sense: See beyond sight and perceive ripples in the Force.

Light Side Powers
>Affect: Influence another's mind.
>Serenity: Last for long times in periods of meditation, heal yourself.
>Ward: Protect yourself and allies from harmful Force powers and other attacks.

Dark Side Powers
>Grip: Choke or crush a foe.
>Unleash: Attack a foe with blasts of energy.
>Rebuke: Block hostile energy attacks.
>Seize: Wrack a foe's mind or draw forth information from it.
>>
>>44451260
>>44451410
This sounds very close along the lines I was thinking.

What if I used a d100, and we have certain known characters mapped out on the d100 chart.

Example being Anakin being in the high 90s, Luke in the 70s, etc.?
>>
>>44451260
>>44451410
>>44451443
You'd need to have other mechanics balance out the random roll for pretty much the main stat of the game.

Maybe some way to represent high-Force individuals (who are enemies more often than not) crossing paths with each other disproportionately often?
>>
>>44451484
I agree with the first part, but I don't quite understand the second portion of your post, what do you mean?
>>
>>44451508
All the Jedi and Sith had a sort of radar for each other, fighting each other in climactic (and, more importantly, fair) battles.

On the other hand, nobody ever "felt a disturbance in the force" and found Han Solo.
>>
>>44451585
Oh okay, that makes sense.

Well, what are you thinking in terms of actually USING the Force Powers? I was thinking that some kind of "Force Points" system as a mana-style rule would be easiest, but probably not the best to use.
>>
>>44451630
You could give all characters one fatigue track, and use degrees of success to determine how many points it uses.
>>
>>44451714
That's kind of what I was shooting for, I like the trade-off that is often involved with those systems.

For ease of understanding, we're using the normal 6 Attributes (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA). Should their "threshold" be a combination involving

1. CON to represent their physical ability to be a battery for the Force, and
2. WIS to represent raw willpower
>>
>>44451751
I'd recommend using a different system; Star Wars pretty much demands something narrative.

Maybe three stats: Body, Guile, and Force?

If you roll two stats (not necessarily different) for each test, then you could have six different dice pools.
Body + Body would be for punching faces, Body + Guile for intimidation and dexterity-type things, Guile + Force/Guile for building/fixing tech (depends on whether it's Force-relevant or not), and Force + Body/Guile for doing Force powers.
>>
>>44451859
I like that idea, but to make sure I understand:

Say I want to punch someone using no technique, just raw force. Body+Body.

But for technical fighters, I could instead use Body+Guile?
>>
>>44451898
>>44451915
Oops.
>>
>>44451714
I like this, but would change it slightly.

Id have the basic use of a power be free. Probably even automatic success.

From there, I would implement a scaling system where they can increase the intensity of the power at the cost of fatigue.

At a certain point of fatigue even the basic (free) powers would begin to need tests for, to convey the exhausting effect of huge force powers.

ie.

Acrobatics = Free.
Moving a box = Free.
Lifting an X-Wing - 2 degrees of success required. (2 levels of fatigue)

When a character is at X fatigue (based off force ability or endurance. Then increase the degrees of all force powers by 1.
>>
>>44451585
>>literally tfa
>>
>>44451915
Yeah, it's a pretty vague outline. Just use what seems appropriate.

Many Jedi combat styles would even bypass Body and instead use Force + Guile to play a very elaborate game of bluffing and dodging. Some extraordinarily difficult ones (read: NPC-only or very expensive for player use) draw from all three stats and thus are nigh-unbeatable in single combat.

>>44451940
Maybe take your dice result, add/subtract some function of your Fatigue, and compare it to a DC based on the difficulty?
So at high skill and low Fatigue, the lowest result you could get still beats easy DCs, making them auto-successes. Higher DCs would still be under the "Fail AND pay Fatigue" threshold, essentially giving them free retries.

One feature might be a Force + Guile test in difficult situations (intense fights, after failing several times, etc.) to avoid stress - represented as Fatigue points.

>>44451955
Sorry, what?
>>
>>44452262
So, Body/Guile/Force.

Point-Buy? How many points?
Roll? What, 3d6 or something?
>>
>>44451410
I read 'See beyond sight and perceive nipples in the Force'

God damn
>>
>>44452874
I'd use a universal point-buy system, buying points of Body or Guile with the same currency as skills. In the 2d6 11-66 system laid out above, a fairly low-level character might have maybe 66 'points' that translate 1:1 to stats, and use around 20 or 30 of them for purchasing skills and allies.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.