[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does this Open Game License thing work? What exactly is the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 354x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 354x300
How does this Open Game License thing work? What exactly is the license offering? I know Pathfinder is mechanically identical to 3.5 but I thought that you couldn't copyright game mechanics?

I mean what's to stop me from making a d20 game called labyrinths & leprechauns based on based on fifth eddition Dungeons & Dragons? As long as I don't copy anything outright word for word I should be all right to have classes, levels experiences and feats right?
>>
The d20 license meanse you can copy and paste everything, including (and this is the key) exact wordings, provided you include in the book the copy of the license.
Mechanics are not copyrightable, but the wording is.
>>
>>44449900
Right, thought so. So how come the how come retro clones didn't really become a thing until the open gaming license? Was it simply there was no niche to fill that ADN D hadn't covered already
>>
>>44450189
Might be that having Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, etc. together was some kind of copyright violation? Or maybe specific terms like "attack roll" and "armor class" were trademarked?

I think it was a gray area but the OGL made it definitely OK all of a sudden.
>>
>>44450226
Well I think you'd be legally in the clear but remember Lorine Williams would try to sue anybody she could.
>>
>>44448933
The Open Games License is a content license which anything can be created or posted under. Fate uses the OGL, for instance. It has nothing to do with the d20 System in itself, other than the fact that it was tailored for it at its inception.
Essentially it's a way of defining how you're guaranteed to be able to use preexisting game content with the licensor not being able to touch you. When it comes to the business end of things, that sort of strongly defined agreement is worth a lot.

The d20 SRD is published under the OGL, and is basically all of the rules for 3.5 aside from a handful of specific spell names and creatures that are considered to be intrinsically part of the brand identity.
Everything here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35) is free, open information that you can use basically however you want with few limitations and no worry about cease and desists or legal costs.
The info can also be found on the Hypertext d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/)

>I mean what's to stop me from making a d20 game called labyrinths & leprechauns based on based on fifth eddition Dungeons & Dragons? As long as I don't copy anything outright word for word I should be all right to have classes, levels experiences and feats right?
Yeah, you'd probably be fine in doing that. As a matter of fact, you could simply claim it's actually a permutation of 3.5 and not 5e, and thus have an airtight defense. From what I understand this is how commercially sold third-party 5e content is often released: technically derived from the 3.5 SRD but sold as compatible with 5e, with the language communicating that being vague enough that nobody could confuse it for officially endorsed or licensed content.
>>
Explained for idiots:

3.5e is copyrighted by WotC, so anyone copying shit like the Stats, d20 dice as a mechanic etc. could get sued for infringement

But then WotC decided to be nice (ikr) and said, u know what, we'll let people use the d20 system, and use the stat system etc that we own, as long as u put a copy of this notice in ur publications.
>>
>>44449900
Thanks quad-dub-dub man!
>>
File: d4205385x.jpg (48 KB, 500x515) Image search: [Google]
d4205385x.jpg
48 KB, 500x515
>>44451366
>>44451366
>3.5e is copyrighted by WotC, so anyone copying shit like the Stats, d20 dice as a mechanic etc. could get sued for infringement

I find that hard to believe. The d20 isn't new and neither is concepts such as str,con dex act.
>>
Here's the catch: the d20 System logo is *trademarked.* Using the logo comes with stricter content requirements.
>>
>>44451366
> 3.5e is copyrighted by WotC, so anyone copying shit like the Stats, d20 dice as a mechanic etc. could get sued for infringement

Wow. No. I just -- wow.
>>
>>44451366
>Explained by an idiot
>>
>>44450189
>so how come there wasn't retro clones before the ogl

That's kinda like asking "Why didn't people play Shovel Knight when the Gamecube was only just introduced".
>>
File: shelf2-22-1974.jpg (59 KB, 475x260) Image search: [Google]
shelf2-22-1974.jpg
59 KB, 475x260
>>44451679
Okay let me rephrase.

How come so few RPS from the 70s,80s and 90s actually use the basic game concepts as laid out by TRS's dungeon's and dragons?

Most if not all of other 'classic' fantasy RPGs even one heavily based off dnd like tunnels and trolls have wildly different rules and terms.

Was it was just a misguided attempt to be or a legal necessarily. Because if the base game mechanics can be legally copied what does the license give you?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.