[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Civ General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 12
File: 1415676592262.jpg (3 MB, 2700x6000) Image search: [Google]
1415676592262.jpg
3 MB, 2700x6000
There is no Civ General thread.

I shall correct thing.
>>
kek.. No questions then? just a general?
>>
>>44446451
Yup.
>>
>>44446079
Tell me about Slimes, why are they the best race?
>>
>>44447020
I like Golems
Or any race that doesn't have to eat. That way you don't have to worry about food.
>>
>>44446079
When did the civ downfall start and do you think it'll return?
>>
>>44447149
A year and a half ago. And it won't return to 'popularity' (if you could call it that) until it's properly and fully redesigned.
>>
There aren't a lot of fans of civs. Or quests for that matter but that doesn't mean that they're not a part of this board. I'm thinking that maybe civs and quests could somehow be united under a single general, but alas, I got no clue on how to tell the questfags about it.
>>
I really love kingdom building, but i hate how impersonal civs are. little characterization and stuff. I also don't like leaving everything up to dice
>>
>>44447678
which is why undead, demon and insect civs a best. all that have supreme leaders are civ quest hybrids.
>>
>>44447798
Yeah that's something I ran for like 3 threads but then holidays happened... And let me tell you that Christmass is hardcore in my family
>>
I've been toying with the idea of a Golem Civ
Maybe the players can come up with the culture and such of the Golems.
I write up a little back story to explain the how's of the Golems
The players decide the why and then we have something.

Thoughts?
>>
>>44447867
I'd play it!

I also got an idea about a treant civ/quest.. But I'll have to wrap up the one I am still thinking of continuing cause I don't want people to say I'm a lazy fuck... which I kinda am
>>
File: civ_chart.png (2 MB, 720x2259) Image search: [Google]
civ_chart.png
2 MB, 720x2259
>>
>>44447604
>>44447678
>>44447798

Most people in any civilization are unimportant drones that often can be characterized just by their role in society. There will also be lots of good for nothing people in most societies, in some societies they become independent crafters and artists, others just draft them into military, other get them culled somehow, others don't really mind them.

For the people of note in the chosen society it will resemble a quest. Undead and insect civs resemble quests the most because the non noteworthy members of the civ are literally mindless drones.
>>
>>44452030
>>44452030
Yeah, but you can still have a civ/quest even with other races. it sounds nice in my head having the protagonist to their own things on a daily/weekly/monthly/etc. basis, nad the civ itself being only slightly influenced by the "ruler". Hell, you can even make it so the main guy actually IS a member of a civ if you're good enough
>>
>>44446079
>Really wants to run these threads again
>Doesn't want to play an insects/lizardmen/machine game again
>Sigh
>>
>>44447604
the mindset is rather different when you control a whole lot of people that you can't necessarily know on a personal level. It requires a different kind and standard of immersion to play, and from experience, it seems a lot harder to play IC too, unless each anon is an actual character in a council.

It also, you know, requires a bit more reading into a variety of subjects right from the get go, whereas quests can be more choosy about what real world subjects they want to matter. Case in point, how tech works.
>>
Do you guys actually like it wen civ are ran without a roll system or any sort of variable to your actions?

I keep seeing civ threads where you just choose what to do and the gm confirms that you did it. I hate it. There's no reason to be cautious we the potential for catastrophic failure is gone
>>
>>44455857
Machine Civ by ShitterNormie has rolls.
>>
Either serpentfolk or kobold.
>>
I remember there was this really good Gnome civ we had a year back. Author ran it on a d100 system on choices that had the potential for failure. Had a bunch of our women and children get kidnapped, ended up finding them in the lair of a minotaur literally getting raped to death.

Good times
>>
File: W_myrmidon.png (2 MB, 704x1134) Image search: [Google]
W_myrmidon.png
2 MB, 704x1134
>>
>>44455857
But this is also a double edged sword, it can happen that the players will want to try something impossible and if their role suddenly has critical success then they just break the game.

Also having a roll can often just slow down the game when you are rolling to do something normal but keep getting fails.
>>
>>44460281
I haven't run in ages, but I used to use rolls to determine level of sucess rather than sucess or failure. So, for example if someone tried to reseach something and rolled a 1, they would still reseach it, but not have the best/most efficient way of getting it, whereas if they rolled a 100 they might get a knock on effect, of learn how to make it in a superior way to other civs.
>>
>>44451328
Whoever is posting this, answer me truly: what do you wish to accomplish with posting this every chance you get?

Because I'm conflicted between wanting this image to be more popular, thinking this image is superior in some way or just plain shitposting
>>
>>44460281
Which is why rolls should be in addition to the existing power level, to keep fantastical success/terrible failure proportional.
>>
>>44447149
>>44447333
Bullshit, it won't return to popularity until there aren't so fucking many of them anymore. Civs are easy to get into, so learning GMs start out with civs but often don't know what they're doing or quit after finding out that they take more time and effort than they thought.

This makes civs very popular amongst beginning GMs, but players who try to get invested in a civ are often left disappointed because they don't get much follow-up or good writing.
I think there are just too many civs (we even have a civ general ffs) and the chance of a player stumbling onto a good civ is rare, which leads to less players per civ, which leads to less motivation for the GM's and so on.

I remember two summers ago an evo-thread came on and people where praising it because they had an evo dry spell before that. It lasted for about 10 threads.
Evo's have been more frequent since, and less popular.

So either quit having civs for a while and then get a good one going, or accept the fact that they are often gate-way quests.
>>
>>44460868
one of this issues I've found is that it's difficult to get into an already-running civ, especially a long running one.

The amount of reading you need to do just to understand what is going on is pretty large, and most people don't want to invest that amount of time for something they'll get such a small return for.
>>
>>44460868
I love the term gateway quest
>>
>>44461139
For example the Red Throat Ghoul Civ. By the time the CM went on hiatus to run a different civquest there were about 50threads in.
>>
>>44461466
yeah, it's just too much of a steep requirement for someone to read all of that just to join in. That's why I tried to keep my threads short, maximum 3 threadds or so.
>>
>>44460802
It's pretty much the same buttmad anon shitposting.
Try to help them out, get called an idiot
Say you don't like or offer suggestions for improvements, get called a pleb and idiot
Say that no one wants to play because of their bad attitude, get told to go to /b/ or /mlp/
Call them out on shitposting, get told that "Creativity isn't shitposting"

You can see why NO ONE ever wants to touch that absurdist nonsense
>>
File: A5.jpg (4 MB, 5616x3665) Image search: [Google]
A5.jpg
4 MB, 5616x3665
>>44461139
Indeed, I can get excited when I see the first episode of a civ or quest because I can hop onto the train and hope it goes somewhere. Second episodes need to at least have a map or some nice recap to get me interested, but only if I have a lot of time on my hands or something.
I've been trying out some ways of making it visually easier for people to get on board. Pic related was such an experiment, it was a bit of a civ-quest hybrid that didn't get much attention in the first thread and was just empty the second thread, but it was an experiment.

>>44461147
I use that term from personal experience. For me, civs were easy to get into because of the repostable image, but once I realized that the image didn't provide much in terms of story-telling (what do I care if orcs breed slightly better than Tengu, it's not like you're going to notice the difference in a single civ) and I invented my own story-angles, rules and format anyway, I just ditched the image and started out on stronger quest-ideas.

>>44461505
I've gotten the same feeling over time, but I want to hear him explain his reasons. Everyone must have some logical reason.
I once posted a generic race-thread and got that some image, followed by defensive comments on any feedback or opinions. All I could think was "what's this guys deal?"
>>
>>44455857
rolls are important because on the scale of civs, randomness IS important. Completely defining the skills, personalities, and emotional states of 20 people is a monstrous task, and that's just for a small village.

But it works a lot better for quests, when the GM has much more control over the minutiae, and players are more fully aware of the characters they DO have control over.

>>44460868
I don't disagree, but I hope civs can stand on their own.

>>44461485
What would you say are the requirements to getting up to speed quickly? Hopefully in the form of stats, or anything modular so the CM doesn't have to personalize a summary every new thread.

>>44461599
he did. From what I recall, Myrm feels that 4chan is "mired in the WoW and DnD stereotypes", "technology and civilization is always portrayed as a linear path forward" which I see merit with, but he hasn't put forth any effort nor suggestion on fixing, and simply condemns everyone else in general, and "doing this will somehow change something"

you might be able to search it on the archives? it was about a month ago, maybe longer.
>>
>>44461758
>but I hope civs can stand on their own.
Can they though? What do civs have that other quests can't offer? Because from what I see, civs mostly have recognisability, easy aces and uniformity going for them.
I could be wrong, but I just don't see it.
>>
I've never ran a Civ before but I love them. Wanting to run my own sometime in the next 24hrs. What are the big Dos and Donts of running a Civ?
>>
>>44461834
Know what you are doing
Don't bail when you feel overrun.
>>
>>44461834
Think about your format.
That means making choices about how you present and play the quest.
>deciding the next step: 3 votes wins? most votes wins? First post wins?
>deciding success: 1d100? 1d20? Rerolls? Do you decide the success?
>the map: no map? hex map? paint map?
>the status: what do you include? Buildings, population, food? How do they increase? Naturally or only by making the roll?
>how do you tell the story? from a characters perspective? From an overarching perspective? Only the mechanical side? humour or serious shit?
>how much do the players get to decide?
>...

Buuut, you'll probably figure this stuff out when you get to it. Be open to your players, be open to feedback, be open to admit mistakes.
>>
>>44461758
That's too bad about Myrm. Because I honestly like the image, I like the idea of absolute alien races. It's a cool experiment and I like to see where I could take it.
But if you can't take feedback, you are not a GM. Maybe you should become a writer or try some other one-directional medium. But games are interactive, a GM needs to interact and interacting without feedback is just a monologue.
>>
>>44461758
A simple summary can be good for the thread though. Something that will get people up to speed, as well as a summary of the goals planned in previous threads. For example, if the last group were rushing gunpowder, have a section that explains this.
>>
>>44462174
Same guy, new note. You could keep short notes on what happened in the thread, 7 bullet points or so, and just link a pastbin with all of them in.

It's a shame I can't run anymore (I can only currently post because I'm on holiday) or I'd introduce my revised version of the european factions I made ages ago. Sadly that's on my home PC, and I have to use tor to access 4chan, so I can't post.
>>
What do you guys think
Do you prefer voting on what civ to play
Or having the OP pick one, so he has a better idea of what he's doing?
>>
>>44462546
Voting for civ and proposing a scenario for it that gets voted that inspires OP.
>>
>>44462546
Entirely depends on the GM. If he/she has talent for improvisation, let the players pick. If you aren't an wining-it kinda guy or you have an idea for a fun angle, don't let the players pic.
But if you don't, do include some minor choices early on, like picking a leader, a specific breed of your race, ect.
>>
Can somebody post a set of rules for this?
Also, does anybody know how well this transfers to table top? I kinda wanna try one of these with my group,
>>
>>44462174
>>44462277
I think I could work with that, 1 bullet point for every or every other update of the last thread.
>>
>>44462869
It's what I'd do, just to keep it easy for newbies. Though starting a new civ is kinda hard too, what with the amount about recently. Like I said, I've only been lurking, not posting, but I've seen very few times where a new civ would get a decent amount of people with relative speed. It's a waiting game, I suppose.
>>
>>44462277
I would always do a "Previously" recap post for my Civ
>>
>>44462742
I don't actually think I have ever seen a set of rules, each OP kinda makes his own. That's why the attributes on the image seem pointless. But I could be wrong.
>>
>>44462926
I might be running on old information, cos' I haven't been able to join a civ in ages, but when I did most of it was "LOL read the other threads fag" (players, not CMs) when there were about 15 other threads.
>>
>>44462954
Yeah pretty much still is. I've had playersget mad at me for doing recap
>>
The issue with recaps is, that the further you get into a quest, the longer they become.
I'm running a quest and we are up to part 8. The summer, even when made brief, it is still about 2 posts long.
>>
So as someone who has always wanted to run these, what do you recommend you do to separate different actions that can definitely be taken at the same time.

I;E - researching some technology while also deciding to search an area while constructing a building of some sort.

It just seems like there are a lot of actions to be considered all the time in a civ.
ALSO

for that matter, how do you justify research? Just arbitrarily decide what tech is available?
>>
OP you still here? Any chance of some sort of recap of all this crazyness
>>
>>44466855
Roll 1d6 to decide how long it takes to build something. roll 1d8 to decide how many turns it takes to research something. These are free actions that you can take once you're done building/researching. Everything else takes a turn.

And yes, arbitrarily decide on your tech list, or make it up as you go. Make check the civ tech tree for inspiration. Also schools of magic.

Perhaps allow players to choose from a short list that's unlocked by what was previously researched, like so.

>Mining
>Archery
>Fishing

If they pick mining, roll 1d6, say they get 4 so
>Mining research complete in 4 turns
After which the next time they get to choose it will be
>Metalworking
>Archery
>Fishing

If there was an actual rulebook I would have recommended a formula of population x aptitude x buildings with a value for each research to fill up, which is set up in a spreadsheet so you don't spend more than a few seconds on it. That way say your population of 500 gnomes x 1.5 aptitude x 1.1 great library makes 825 research per turn and will finish researching 0/4,500 mining in 6 turns. There are civ tabletop games, why don't we just steal the most simple one's rules?
>>
>>44467174
I like your thinking, any suggestions?

I really want to revitalize civ games here, so much more complex than quests but can still have PC's.
>>
>>44468077
Not the same guy but here's something I devised for my civ (Which I'm running behind on having the time to run it damn..)

Research tree:
> Tech we have
# Tech in progress

Agriculture: > Gathering - Land clearance - Irrigation - Compost - The Plow - Communal Farming - Crop Rotation
- Animal husbandry - Selective breeding - Animal training - Pack animals - Mountable animals - War Mounts

Military: > Hunting Bands - Militia - Basic Tactics - Warrior Code - Drills - Advanced Tactics - Logistics - Chain of Command -

Tools: > Stone tools - Scrap tools - Crude smelting - Crude metalworking - Stone forge - Basic smithing - Basic Metalworking - Metal Casting

Social: > Tribal community - Theology - Written Laws - Tax Labour - Currency - Guilds - Education - Banking - Vassalage - Foreign affairs - Empire

This is just some rough-ish sketch
>>
boomp
>>
>>44468077
Also try Beyond Earth if you want a tech tree that branches MUCH more wildly.
>>
>>44460802
>wanting this image to be more popular, thinking this image is superior
>>
>>44461979

I ran a tikifowl civ once for shit and giggles, stuff got crazy fast.
>>
>>44461599
>I've gotten the same feeling over time, but I want to hear him explain his reasons. Everyone must have some logical reason.

I want fantasy that feels fantastic, not like a generic capitalist byproduct.
>>
>>44470878
It was pretty cool. :)
>>
File: waiting2.png (2 MB, 708x956) Image search: [Google]
waiting2.png
2 MB, 708x956
>>
File: waiting.png (170 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
waiting.png
170 KB, 300x240
>>
Live, civ general, live!
>>
>>44475766
>>44476743
skeleton civ when?
>>
>>44470858
But then you clearly are doing it wrong. Posting the same image in every civ general, or other thread for that matter is quickly associated with spam. I even saw that image once in another starting civ saying: "use this image instead!". And I don't know for sure if that was you, but it was a really dick-move. Hijacking another game before it even starts, that's truly, truly a dick move.
What you should do is run it more yourself. Start civs with that image and stick to it, if people are enthusiastic about it, they'll run it themselves.
You can't force something to be popular, you can only introduce it, show its potential and hope it sticks.
But like >>44461505 says, you are kinda blowing it for yourself.
Your image is in no way superior, but it is different. I suggest you accept it is an alternative, not an improvement.
>>44470921
>not like a generic capitalist byproduct
dude fucking wat. What does any of this have to do with capitalism?
Miniatures and trading cards sell because of the game-aspects, you could attribute the implementation of sexual content and bikini armour to wanting to sell more, but other than that... Everything that is classical armour is there because of tropes and emulation, not because some company thought "we need tiny bearded men in our franchise to sell more!"
>>
>>44480504
once did a homeless skeleton quest, shit was awesome. Too bad I didn't find any time for the second episode though.
>>
>>44468077
I'd steal civ 5's tech tree and change it to fit the game.
>>
File: -1376705015.jpg (51 KB, 200x197) Image search: [Google]
-1376705015.jpg
51 KB, 200x197
Soupin up for the weekend thread. Overlord Civ will be back full swing.
You guys have thoughts on methods or ideas to make a thread thats been on hiatus fresh? I think its pretty common that newcomers prefer to get in on a new game over running ones they aren't a part of, so what might be a fix for that?
>>
>>44482076

Old leader died; new leader comes to power.
>>
>>44480523

once I made a negro slice of life quest where you started as a crack addicted orphan in a shopping cart, but nazi mods deleted the thread and banned me for a week.
>>
>>44482864
Gee, I wonder why.
>>
>>44482864
Shoulda been permaban
>>
>>44480515
>What you should do is run it more yourself.
Been there, done that. It's other people's turn now.
>>
>>44482864
Go back to /pol/
>>
>>44486878
I think I've only seen what, like 2 civs using that image.. And let me tell you they weren't civs. It all was just a psychedelic wank that went nowhere.

Where's the survival aspect of your civ? Where's the action, the chance of failing?
>>
>>44487113
>implying
>>
File: Sentinels.jpg (139 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Sentinels.jpg
139 KB, 500x281
Someone up for a New Year game?
>>
>>44488365
Yup
>>
>>44488365
Up for a bit. Then I'm getting shitfaced. Then up for some more
>>
File: harpy.jpg (22 KB, 298x353) Image search: [Google]
harpy.jpg
22 KB, 298x353
and would you mind if i get the race directly?
>>
>>44488464
I think more cm's should pick.
>>
>>44488464
Not at all! I really hoped someone would actually start using the harpies
>>
omw
>>
>>44488365
Of what, exactly?
>>
>>44488859
>>44488464
>>
I have a question for the civ general....at one point i made what i can only describe as "tribal drow" where you basically start in the (before stone age)---(WARNING, tech levels/ages will not advance fast)

what would you guys like to see? and what features interest you? Me personally as the GM/DM, i love the story part, and i place a HEAVY "bonus" on culture of all type/kinds.

i will post my civ picture when i get to my computer
>>
>>44488873
>>44488859
>>44488618
>>44488526
>>44488427
>>44488419

Thread up
im still a newfag
>>
I noticed that Jyotti is using SlowCM's Sunlizards in his Death Among The Stars Civ. Whats your guys's opinions on that? I think we could use some more CM collaboration to add some spice and intuitiveness to the settings.
>>
>>44468289
Take a look at SlowCm/Jyotti tech trees. They both have some good ones.
>>
>>44489405
The one i posted is a ripoff of jyoti's

I just modified it a bit to suit me
>>
>>44489592
Its okay because Jyoti's is a ripoff of Slow's.
I love the internet
>>
>>44489630
Well... it's not like it's copyright or anything

Oh and happy new years /tg. Iove you guys
>>
File: civ thread 1.4.jpg (4 MB, 2300x6400) Image search: [Google]
civ thread 1.4.jpg
4 MB, 2300x6400
>>44489320
if anyone is still interested...heres the civ picture
(feel free to use, just give credit where credit is due.)
>>
>>44490863
So, essentially, who actually designed this? No offence I'm kinda new
>>
>>44490932
me and a friend, you can see it top right(Witter and Tyr)
>>
>>44489385
Yeah SlowCM has been a big help in making the quest. I bounced a lot of ideas off him and he graciously let me use his Sun Lizards in DASQ.
>>
>>44490956
yeah.... I figured it too late but thanks anyway for your trouble, I love civs. They're the main reason I'm still on tg even though I don't have ANY experience with /tg related stuff
>>
>>44490986
no problem, just keep this thread and all the other civ threads alive and ill be happy
>>
>>44490863
>homm6 art
mah nigerian
>>
>>44491056
Yeeeeeee! I'm fucking pissed so I'll just do what drunk people do best...

I love all of you guys, I really do. You saved me from a lot of shit and I appreciate it
>>
>>44491130
arguably the best art for orcs,i dont even think they should be green
>>44491135
i tried to QM one time when i was drunk....it didnt last very long
>>
>>44491178
The naga as well. Homm6 has the best aesthetics hands down.
>>
>>44491178
lel yeah.. It's alright with the ideas tho. Weird as they may be, drunken ideas a best ideas
>>
>>44491209
agreed, the naga was mostly because it had 4 arms and wasnt a shitty color(ing)
>>
How do you do guys do large scale combat? Been struggling with if for awhile.
>>
>>44491282
Take a basic system with small numbers. Use division when the numbers are large to bring them back down.

Consider each body of units to have a flavor of abilities like a single body, but its hp is distributed by its total.
>>
>>44490863

too many furry races, too few sexual references
>>
>>44491239
haha cant argue with that m8
>>44491324
even if you're not serious, this is the reason we cant have nice things
>>
>>44491239
>>44491178
But seriously now... I gotta take this off my chest. Sorry for rambling about unimportant stuff but, here goes...

I was feeling really really weird. Like suicidal weird. Just moved out from a disfunctional family and trying to face life alone in a different country. It was rough meng. Really rough.

I used to do a lot of drugs like heroin, crack, meth and other weird stuff like that, and it was killing me. I know now it was bad but heck I was having fun... And then I found /tg with the civs and quests and whatnot and that.. helped somehow. Now I'm clean, got a job, a happy-ish existence finally. And this is all thanks to this fucking site right here.

Fuck it's hard.
>>
>>44491584
hey man, you know if you got some free time you can always try to help the "civ process" so to speak, for example...tech trees, or maps, or something like that-who knows..its just some ideas
>>
>>44491282
>>44491311
O do it quite similar to ^ but i substract from the attack and defence of a unit according to it's hp.

Or you could just have a roll to decide the outcome of a battle. This way it's easier but you write more. The one above keeps people on the edge if you're doing it right. of course you can combine both however you like
>>
>>44491620
Yeah, i get it but everyone has his own ideas, and that makes it hard to come ti a consensus. I can try to do stuff like maps or whatnot but I'm the laziest guy you can meet.. So unless people tell me what they want i just sit on my ass fucking about like an idiot, which i sorta enjoy really
>>
>>44491357

Well gnome rape is a thing in civ threads, as is minotaurs breeding mainly with females of other races, dark elves being a recessive elvish strain that has to manage breeding carefully or risk disappearing, most of the balance between the races being done by how fast they breed, the fastest breeders being generally full of weaknesses and the strong creatures breeding very slow or coming with some serious dependency, and several of the main races being both capable of generating descent amongst themselves and having a deep hatred for each other. Many insect civs will kidnap members of other races to harvest their dna; vampires, undeads and demons might want to pen up sentient rape slaves for body/blood/soul farms. Most of the races who abuse sexually sentients garner the hatred of non-evil races, and that can be a driving force for large scale warfare.

Sexual violence as a source of conflict plays a major role in civ threads and there's really no reason to change that.
>>
>>44491679
>everyone has their own ideas
thats the beauty of it my friend- worst comes to worst you can use it later on (if and when you want to QM)
>>44491686
but there is a reason to change that-its one thing to include "sex and shit" and its another to focus on only "sex and shit", everything in moderation my friend
>>
>>44491686
Implications of sexual happenings are obvious within a gritty fantasy setting, but frankly it is nothing 'major' of a driving force to conduct your games unless you want the magical realm crowds playing your games.

If I'm running some barbarian civ and my players say pillage and rape, well that's just where it ends, because its another story if players decide to subdue everything they encounter to be breeding farms.
>>
>>44491311
>>44491282
>>44491630
oh and for big things like treants or dragons etc. I just make an imaginary size stat.

So there's small-100 men
normal-60 men
big-30
huge-10
titanic-1

each has it's pros and cons. Like a titanic being has a lot of hp and damage but it's not very versatile while the small ones are cheaper, weaker but can be assigned more missions
>>
>>44491743
I've already got a civ/quest going on but I won't disclose it now. Too embarased by that rant to do it now..

As in ideas for civs I already posted some in this general and others like>>44491803
>>44468289
>>
>>44491803
Size should not be the key factor. Your blessed champion ought to be more than just a simple man among the crowd. A tier scale is where its at.

>>44491838
You know I always wanted to see a new method for land acquisition and management.
>>
>>44491891
well you could incorporate a social "tech" to justify not giving your players a vast amount of terrain.

So as a primitive clan you only have what surrounds your base, then you get higher and higher, population growing, roads and other villages being built, until you get a proper empire going on.

To not multitask every village and outpost out there i came up with issuing a "decree" on how things should be done around your lands, splash in a roll - say 1d100/7d10/9999d99999 - and then split the actions of your leader during a time frame in which the settlements do stuff.

It sounds more like a quest than a civ though so that needs to be balanced out somehow, but I feel like I'm getting there... eventually.

And as for size of units, you can't really justify having a unit made out of 100 mountain sized Old Ones doing your bidding on the field can you?
>>
Anyone know what happened to that Minotaur civ thing? I used to watch it and it seemed to drop off the face of the Earth.
>>
>>44492074
>And as for size of units, you can't really justify having a unit made out of 100 mountain sized Old Ones doing your bidding on the field can you?

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. Ranking units for their combat prowess just works better than adding more categories of stats because some of your units are better than others regardless of their size.
>>
>>44492178
You can also have that. Something like spearmen, heavy infantry, archers. They can be used differently depending on what you like. But you can't argue that size makes a certain difference. No one is stopping you from making a huge unit of huge creatures, don't get me wrong. But the sheer upkeep of those troops will be huuuge.

In the end it's just an idea, no one is obligated to use it if they don't like it, this is just the way i see it
>>
>>44492251
I'm not saying size doesn't matter, I'm just giving you a method to cut down on the numbers and balance combat more easily. I've run plenty of civs before, and when you get further down the road, its just a stat wall you record that gets more confusion and daunting to use as time passes.
>>
>>44492353
I guess you are right. But I can't really come up with anything to balance my ideas and yours up.

As far as I've understood you're saying to just have them go by stats like hp and damage (?). That's alright for a normal civ, but what about a multicultural one?

Also what do you think about the land aquisition/expanding thing I came up with here?>>44492074
>>
>>44492649
Hp, Damage, Defense, Modifiers, Abilities. It all works regardless of the kind of civ you do. Multicultural civ has what, differing stats between races? Highly unnecessary most of the time, I would not sell a human warrior above a dwarf warrior, perhaps give them some conditional benefits like terrain advantages or something, but they are fine with roughly the same damage and hp, thus it bears no issue to use small numbers applied to them like they are both 'tier 1'.
Or you want to bring in one of the races that are 'low birth rate high value'? Just bump up their stat under a blanket term of "x race".
It's simple, keeps your mind clean of jumbling numbers, no issue. Maybe you feel it doesn't do the fluff justice by taking away arbitrary diversity? Well shit, just don't tell your players what the stats are while running it. You are the CM.

Badaboom. We tacked on some +1s and 2s and its all good.

Your land theory is fine under the pretense the players are in control of a single leader that doesn't have the capacity to govern several cities or territories directly, which may create more intrigue, I may give it a try.
>>
>>44490863
and I see Crystalids still haven't been fixed
>>
>>44492841
You are quite right about he numbers being too much, but I had a simpler version of it in my mind. All the stats are just hp, damage, and modifiers.

hp and damage are self explanatory but for modifiers all i got is bonus damage against other troops, retaliation bonuses and maybe hiding? I gotta say I based this a lot on homm and total war. I'm also planning on using a hexographer map, homm style, for large scale battles. But skirmishes should be just roll 1d100 + modifiers (spearmen v. cavalry etc.) and see who wins. Maybe some other bonuses for good plans and write-ins. Still have a lot to go until I actually use it myself because I've gotten lazy and didn't run my game in a WHILE. Terribly sorry btw.
>>
I'm sad people.

I want to make a civ based off the Myrmidon myth, where they were a people created from an ant colony. They would be a magically created race, a monstrous mindless "Queen" laying eggs. These eggs would hatch into human looking people with minor ant-like features like small mandible tusks, antennae, patches of exoskeleton. They would then age and pupate into giant ants/formian warriors.

I'm sad because that absurdist shitposter ruined the good name of Myrmidon
>>
>>44491282
I don't have nearly enough experience trying it out myself, but I can think of a few main points that CAN be addressed, but may not have to be for the purposes of simplification.

>Reach: The main melee stat. This covers raw strength attacks, and the ability to kill the enemy before they can get in close.
>Lunge: The secondary melee stat. This covers attacks when one party is knocked down or unable to use their weapon effectively.
Tactics is essentially getting your unit to engage the other with their high stat while getting the enemy to use their low stat.

>Upkeep: how much supplies they consume
>Discipline: how many troops the unit can maintain cohesively, and the complexity of tactics that can be implemented
>Speed: an army moves as fast as its slowest soldier
>Survival: the ability for defeated units to not due/defect in the chaos of battle
>>
>>44493378
Why is that a problem exactly? Do what you want.
>>
>>44493378
Just call yourself Idon or something.

and let's be honest: not many people know/care about the original Myrmidon myth, so you could really call it something else and just be done with it.
>>
I just had an idea for a civ

Fey, living in the walls of a castle.
>>
>>44493008
i personally dont think crystalids need to be changed, i went over that idea thoroughly in my head
>>
>>44494895
well THAT'S not what you said a few months back....

I've said my piece, though, and lack the energy to convince you otherwise.
>>
Anyone have that fairy sheet? I need it because it had a rather cool wisp race on it I might use for an NPC faction as part of the setting fluff of the game I'm starting soon.
>>
File: fairy special.png (6 MB, 2300x7408) Image search: [Google]
fairy special.png
6 MB, 2300x7408
>>44497168
Here you go, also HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!
>>
>>44498175

omg, I love it <3
>>
>>44498182
For the record I didn't make that.
>>
Hey guys! Finally back after a wild wild hollidays season and ready to roll again with my blue dragono quest/civ. Anyone interested?

Also, sorry for the long absence but family and irl comes first
>>
>>44502275
>Dragons
>Civ
>Continuing any civ after long absence
>Putting family before /tg/
>Making a civ Friday night
>>
>>44502903
Well.. yeah. I was just probing to see if there is any point in doing it tonight.

Welp.. Here's for another period of inactivity after which I might as well start another civ
>>
>>44502903
Don't be an ass dude
>>
>>44502977
There is literally nothing wrong with asses.
>>44502942
I'd follow it, but dragons are just not that great civ material. They really need to be removed from that extended++ 3.0 version along with angels, elementals and suchlike.
>>
>>44503029
>>44503029
Yeah I wasn't actually planning to use them but hey, it happened.

Anyways I won't do stuff you guys don't like. It's useless to push things if they don't work.

I'll try again tomorrow. If I get no interest in it I'll just start another one with a different race
>>
>>44502903
Dragon civ sounds fun
>>
Hope there's a Machine Civ or Lizardfolk civ tonight. Those are really fun.
>>
>>44486878
>>44488201
well, seems like you are as one-sided as people say you are.
Like here: >>44487113
this guy is asking you straight questions and all you can't even answer them.
Well, guess there is no reason to have any respect for you or you image then.
>>
>>44498175
I really like that chart. I might use it.
>>
>>44503986
Hey here's a nice civ that started yesterday. It's with the harpies, a race U haven't seen being used a lot. Give the man some support
>>
So I got two ideas for civ

Golem Civ, living in mountains

Or

Fey Civ, living in the walls of a large castle.
>>
>>44505886
Both seem alright.. Just make a thread and have people vote between the two. Or just flip a coin, either works
>>
Bump it up

For science
>>
>>44507435

Check out my civ senpai
>>
File: BILLY MAYS.jpg (35 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
BILLY MAYS.jpg
35 KB, 403x403
Bumping thread
>>
Machines on the moon
>>
>>44495097
yea i know, i took a long time to actually think about it, and unless people are extremely interested in minerals and all that shit i dont think people will care about what your worries were
-------

also all this talk about myrmidon(the poster) is so stupid, please stop falling for his trolls, hes not even trying anymore
>>
>>44509089
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60BjkUtqxPE
>>
So what are the primary onsect races used as models for insect civs? Some friends want an insect civ, but I have no reference for insects and am trying to learn. If no good fantasy base insects.come to mind would, what do you normally allow as mutations? Like flying as a major that is acceptable, but magic use as a mutation that is not? Just looking for some ideas....
Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.