[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lets talk about this shit site. Roll20 has done a lot of terrible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 25
File: roll20_logo.jpg (23 KB, 625x182) Image search: [Google]
roll20_logo.jpg
23 KB, 625x182
Lets talk about this shit site. Roll20 has done a lot of terrible things to the hobby since it came about.

What's your experience with roll20 /tg/?
What is the worst thing that the site has spawned?
What would you change about the site if you recently broke into their office and murdered the Dev team, and now have their computers in front of you?
>>
The worst thing this site has caused is the whole Players looking for GM's and them telling the GM how to run the game.

I'm sorry, but you don't get to tell the GM what to run, how to run it, and anything else relating to the game. The GM is god of the table. Sure the game isn't a game without players, but it's easy to replace players.

Freaking player entitlement.
>>
Its only sin is giving the dregs and That Guys an easy way into games that they'd never get into in person, for their Nurglesque stench would kill the GM.

And their servers only going down while I'm in a game.
>>
>>44445907
>Roll20 has done a lot of terrible things to the hobby since it came about.
Such as?
>>
>>44446040
You could always interview players before you play. If you do, you can smell the mouth breather from miles off in the distance.

Also there's a lot of mouth breathers on this sight. A shit ton. They're annoying as fuck and just keep breathing into their microphone all day.
>>
>>44445907
>What's your experience with roll20 /tg/?
It's okay? I wish there were better charsheets for my favorite system but otherwise it's really good gaming table.
>>
>>44445907

roll20 isn't my favorite platform, but it's free, so I have no grounds to complain whatsoever. It hits all the right notes to start and run a game.

> broke into their office and murdered the Dev team

... what the shit. Reconsider your priorities.
>>
>>44445907
>Lets talk about this shit site. Roll20 has done a lot of terrible things to the hobby since it came about.
On the contrary. I'm not sure what you're on about; Looking for any kind of game online (and offline for that matter) is always a total gamble if you don't have a number of people already.
Pretty decent.
>What is the worst thing that the site has spawned?
The WoD community. Seriously.
>What would you change about the site if you recently broke into their office and murdered the Dev team, and now have their computers in front of you?
Needs a polling/quiz system so QM can specify 2- 3 questions the applicant can just answer multiple-choice style with/as their application. It would REALLY help lessen some of the load for more popular games.
>>
Looking for open games with my schedule (GMT+1 afternoon till midnight) for a week, find a game that tickles my fancy and has a few bonuses (kingdom building), apply, wait 3 days, accepted and play for a week, speak up on one matter after said week, get kicked out with no warning or reason.

Easy access to That guy, as well as That GM.

>What would you change about the site if you recently broke into their office and murdered the Dev team, and now have their computers in front of you?
Better map managment, being able to create macros outside of maps, on site access or links to character sheets and rules for various formats where possible.
>>
File: 1237843001073.jpg (147 KB, 484x453) Image search: [Google]
1237843001073.jpg
147 KB, 484x453
>>44445907
>Roll20 has done a lot of terrible things to the hobby
>>
If it weren't for Roll20, I wouldn't have games. I've been DMing for a great group for 2 years now, and I met all of them through Roll20.

I had to wade through a lot of shit to find them, but it's better than doing that IRL.
>>
File: 135468323457.png (167 KB, 393x349) Image search: [Google]
135468323457.png
167 KB, 393x349
>>44445907
>Lets talk about this shit site. Roll20 has done a lot of terrible things to the hobby since it came about.
>Doesn't give one example of what it did.

You amuse me OP. The website itself is not the problem: what it tries to do is actually quite neat all things considered.

>What's your experience with roll20?
I'm fairly happy with roll20 all things considered: sure, 4 of the games I joined didn't take off/were garbage, but in the end I found a good group with which to game. So I'm happy.

I'd have to go with the flakes: those people that think that not showing up to the game they committed to play think that it's fine and won't hurt anybody.

Nothing, because I suck at programming.
>>
>>44446040
This is the worst thing this site has unleashed. There are so many retards, incompetents, flakes, and malicious assholes there, it's insane. Every single public game I joined or started there has these people, no matter how sane or normal they seemed beforehand. It never fails.
>>
>>44446118
>The WoD community. Seriously.
This is an undeniable fact. Both communities are plagued with some of the scummiest people on the planet.
Like this is one the sheets someone sent me as an example of their ability to make characters.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IHYRAtsv6FM4PHXuIYf5VZtc10JzHB9P8EwjEmImcFQ/edit

>Needs a polling/quiz system so QM can specify 2- 3 questions the applicant can just answer multiple-choice style with/as their application. It would REALLY help lessen some of the load for more popular games.
This has been asked for years and they're still refusing it. Hell it took the LFG being flooded with shitty games to even update that last year and only after mentors started to complain about it being unusable.

The site still has a bunch of menus that feel like they're in beta.
>>
>>44446118
Oh my god yes. The WoD guys on Roll 20 are horrible.
>>
>>44446203
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IHYRAtsv6FM4PHXuIYf5VZtc10JzHB9P8EwjEmImcFQ/edit
>22 pages
I'm sorry, but WHAT?
>This has been asked for years and they're still refusing it.
Huh. Didn't know.
>Hell it took the LFG being flooded with shitty games to even update that last year and only after mentors started to complain about it being unusable.
What did they add?
>The site still has a bunch of menus that feel like they're in beta.
Indeed. Like, fuuuuck, going to "my games" doesn't even let me edit the LFG entry once posted, which is utterly inane. I need to search for my own game and THEN click it.
>>44446227
I still wonder why.
>>
>>44446040
Yeah I tried advertising for an 5e game with clearly listed requirements and I got inundated by shitty applications:

* People who have no experience with the setting when I asked for people who had, at least, read the ECS.
* People who can't form complete sentences and use textspeak.
* People who had an entire, pre-generated character they wanted to use. (What the actual fuck.)

I seriously had almost 50 responses. I just gave into despair and shuttered the game after reading through the first half of them and not seeing a single person worth playing with.
>>
Until about two years ago, I'd never played a table top RPG. Always wanted to. Found Roll20 and joined a D&D 4e campaign. Most of the people I played with were super chill. Played for months.
Now I have a game IRL with buddies so I don't use it anymore, but I was a great way to start into this hobby.
>>
>>44446255
>What did they add?
They limited the games the LFG posting shows to to the first two on the Games Playing. They then added the giant thing at the top of the LFG Postings about microphone, text, and other such stuff. Took months to do this.

>Indeed. Like, fuuuuck, going to "my games" doesn't even let me edit the LFG entry once posted, which is utterly inane. I need to search for my own game and THEN click it.
It actually does. Just go to the game, click the LFG option, then click manage listing. Takes you right there.

>>44446291
I usually put either a word to type into the application that's hidden in one of the paragraphs of the game.
If they don't even fit the application, I just delete it.
>>
File: tumblr_ns2mv5pGof1si3gq6o1_400.gif (2 MB, 308x450) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ns2mv5pGof1si3gq6o1_400.gif
2 MB, 308x450
I only signed up a few days ago - haven't had my first game

Any tips for getting started? How common are Mutants and Mastermind games?

>I don't know nearly enough about table top games to host or be a DM
>>
File: apprehensive sip.png (67 KB, 1046x394) Image search: [Google]
apprehensive sip.png
67 KB, 1046x394
>>44446040
>>44446080
>mfw always thought "Mouthbreather" was a nonsensical insults until began sitting in on FNM and game online
Well.
>>
>>44446330
>Any tips for getting started? How common are Mutants and Mastermind games?
Rare. Not Exalted levels of myth, but they're rare.
>>
>>44446322
That's a decent idea. If I ever get desperate enough to run a game online again I'll give that a try.
>>
>>44446330
>Same guy

I'm competent with a keyboard, I can type really fast and usually have OK grammar and spelling - should I invest in a microphone anyway?
>>
I think it's a good place outside of the most popular game titles. You can find people that want to play that game but have trouble finding a group.

I've heard a lot of bad things about pick up games and 5e/pf/etc
>>
>>44446330
just out of curiousity, what's your timezone?

>Any tips for getting started?
I'd say look for GMs who vet their players and will help you make your character. Don't be an ass. Always try to compromise.

>How common are Mutants and Mastermind games?
They're pretty rare compared to dungeons and dragons.
Read http://www.geeknative.com/48843/roll20s-survey-shows-dungeons-dragons-still-dominates-rpg-hobby/ for more info.

>>44446372
>should I invest in a microphone anyway?
Yes.
>>
>>44446372
Dude, microphones are cheap as fuck.
>>
>>44446404
I just don't like talking to people through a mic

>most games are just people screaming racial slurs and insults anyway
>>
>>44446425
>I just don't like talking to people through a mic
Well you're wrong with your second statement. But if you don't like talking to people, you're going to cut your chances of finding a game by 90%, probably.
>>
>>44445907
I like it but I dislike living campaigns. I realize I can avoid those but it breeds players that give pnp games the mmo mentality.
>>
>>44446463
I'll get one for this - I've been looking for a cheap microphone/headset combo.

Anyone able to recommend a good game to get used to as baby's first table top? DnD, or is that over rated?

>Mutants and Masterminds and other hero RPGs really interest me and eventually I'd like to host games for it if I have to
>>
I live in a rural area, and I am deprived of my fellow neckbeard's company. Without Roll20, I would never have had the chance to play. I've never had any problem with it, and I'm more than satisfied with its services.
>>
>>44446322
>They limited the games the LFG posting shows to to the first two on the Games Playing.
Sorry, does that mean it matches to the games in the profile? I never really paid attention since blindly scrolling around's not my style.
>They then added the giant thing at the top of the LFG Postings about microphone, text, and other such stuff. Took months to do this.
The "What makes a great LFG thread" thing?
>tfw just look for games I find interesting, apply and never roamed around ANYWHERE else
>>
>>44446492
"Living campaigns"?
>>
>>44446511
Thanks for the advice by the way friends - I live in an area where I'd have to drive an hour + to reach any games.
>>
>>44445959
Le GM is God meme
>>
>>44446534
I feel ya. That's why I use roll20 in the first place.

>>44446511
Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition is a great game to start off with, even better than D&D, if you have a GM who's helping you along with the rolls and so the first few sessions.
>>
I think the best feature from roll20 are the macros.
It jut makes dice rolling really convenient and speeds the games up. Normally people would give summoners dagger like glares for slowing the game down but with the help of macros you can easily shorten your turns to 10~15 seconds long.
>>
>>44446511
5e is a good introduction and easy to join. I'm not a huge M&M fan, but you can eventually find any game with enough time.
>>
>>44446511
>Anyone able to recommend a good game to get used to as baby's first table top? DnD, or is that over rated?
I'd recommend VtM after playing VtMB but the WoD community on roll20 is terrible.
If you can get a good 5e game, that'd work.
Alternatively, 40k RPG's are a good starting point if you're into them.
>>
>>44446526
Shit that tries to make games into mmos.
Multiple gms with multiple players running nonpersistent games.

It sounds good at first but then you'll run into the lvl8 dickbags insisting on going with lvl 2s to grind out exp. Or the horrible 10 people party where an initiative phase takes a fucking hour to complete.
>>
>>44446511
I recommend 13th Age for fantasy, but you'll want a somewhat experienced DM to run it.
>>
>>44446523
>Sorry, does that mean it matches to the games in the profile? I never really paid attention since blindly scrolling around's not my style.
The first two games in a game's Games Playing description are which game listing pages it's shown under. So if you put up DnD 3e, 4e, and 5e, it'd only show up under 3e and 4e in the game listings and not 5e

>The "What makes a great LFG thread" thing?
No that's for the forums. I'm talking about the LFG Postings.
>>
Which version of Warhammer should I look into? Or what is the most popular?
>>
>>44446696
40k is without a doubt the most popular. Dark Heresy being the most popular splat.

Go to the 40kRPG general if you want more advice on it and the books.
>>
>>44446718
Awesome, thank you

Thanks everyone
>>
>>44446769
Good luck friend. I hope you find a game you'll enjoy.
>>
>>44446659
>The first two games in a game's Games Playing description are which game listing pages it's shown under. So if you put up DnD 3e, 4e, and 5e, it'd only show up under 3e and 4e in the game listings and not 5e
Oooooh, okay.
>No that's for the forums. I'm talking about the LFG Postings.
I... see.
>>44446372
>>44446425
>>44446511
You really should get one. I'm seriously not a fan either, but it helps. Besides, RPing while half-laying in a not too comfy chair with your eyes closed is comfy as fuck.
>recommended games
Try Dungeon World or Fantasy AGE. Dark Heresy >>44446718 is kinda legit as well.
>>
>>44445959
>player entitlement
That's not just a Roll20 problem, it's part of a larger trend that encompasses character option-heavy systems and moves to reduce the "burden" of GMing; encounter balancing, loot
limits, reducing everything to skill checks and listed DCs, more linearity in published modules, etc...

D&D under Hasbro/WotC has been the harbinger of this sort of thing. From a corporate perspective, you want the backend of the game to be as standardized as possible. You want to be able to promise the same experience everywhere, and leaving too much up to individual DMs, letting people "play how they want," is bad for you; you're surrendering control of your game, and people's experiences playing it, to someone you have no power over.

They want a game that anyone can play, anywhere, anytime, and get a similar experience. If you see it happening more on Roll20 than elsewhere, it's more because Roll20 is specifically an environment where that can happen.

>>44446492
Likewise, Roll20 didn't invent living campaigns, but it does provide a good environment for that kind of play.
>>
I wish there was a player/GM rating system. That guy? Flake? 0/10. Quality rper/gm? 7-10/10
>>
>>44447114
Make a site. Just let people drop in accounts from roll20 and bam, you got it.
>>
>>44447114
That would get abused pretty fast.

>I hate X. So I give him a 0 rating. Fuck him!
>>
>>44447153
Yeah, I don't see this working well. It would just be like people leaving shitty Yelp reviews because an establishment didn't cater to them or put up with their bullshit.
>>
>>44446617
Fuck all that noise. 1 game, 1 GM. Don't need some other PCs running around within the world at the same time. Sounds like a headache.
>>
>>44446203

Pfft. This isn't the worst thing.

I mean, granted - edgy child character is edgy, but some of my players do in fact write up 20 pages of material for their characters over time. It's actually nice for me, because they give me story hooks and good music as part of their visualizations.
>>
>>44447304
Well if it was more reason based than score it might work out better.
Kinda like roosterteeth's website for comments, give it a +1 or -1, but have a reason next to it.
-1 Flakey player
+1 Good Voice/Communications
-1 Rude

Etc etc
>>
>>44446341
>Not Exalted levels of myth, but they're rare.
This is another thing, why are games likes Exalted and L5R so fucking rare online? They're both fairly popular, but to date I have only seen 3 Exalted games being advertised on roll20, and 3 L5R games. I've been using the site for 3 years now, and those are all I've been able to find.

This isn't so much a problem with the site itself, but it is a gripe I have.
>>
>>44448965
L5R players tend to form irl groups with the people they play the CCG with. Exalted players run games for their Anime clubs and on play by post forums.
>>
File: wi0il.jpg (183 KB, 815x500) Image search: [Google]
wi0il.jpg
183 KB, 815x500
>>44445907
>this thread
>>
>>44445907
It's a decent forum. I appreciate an easy to use, web-based tabletop simulator.

My only problem with it is more to do with the difficulty of running games for people who live in wildly different time zones.

Why must all the good players be Eurofriends?
>>
>>44449147
>and on play by post forums.
I'd love to find on of those then, cause at this point I'll take almost anything Exalted. I've applied for two Exalted games this month, the most I've seen at one time ever. The first one I didn't get picked for and the second shut down before the GM even picked players because of IRL problems. The only game I can find on roll20 now is some kind of trope style game where everyone is suppose to have multiple characters, and I'm not a fan of that idea.

At least I'm lucky enough to have found an L5R game though. I only found it because the group I played Deathwatch with decided L5R sounds cool and the GM happened to be a big fan of the game.
>>
Roll20 is great! I use it to play with my tabletop friends from High School. It keeps us in touch, even though we've moved all over the US.
>>
>>44445907
It's pretty decent, though I prefer Maptools.

For me? Nothing, really.

The map tools could stand being better, and the whole zoom thing is pretty bad.
>>
even after all the horror stories I've heard about this site, I kinda want to give it a try anyway. Alas, shitty timezones, english not being my first language and the fact that I have a pretty noticable stutter means that I'll probably never be able to play.
>>
File: yay.png (72 KB, 285x315) Image search: [Google]
yay.png
72 KB, 285x315
>>44449186
This thread is great, actually.

It went from "hurr obvious bait" to legitimate discussion about a /tg/-related website and service.
>>
>>44449239
We miss you too americomrade, we miss you too
>>
>>44449383
>It's pretty decent, though I prefer Maptools.
Aah Hamachi. It's like Anima: Beyond Fantasy (or was that a double dash?) in a way. Great when you get it to work, assfucks you when all you want is a quick game and no trouble.
>The map tools could stand being better, and the whole zoom thing is pretty bad.
You saying the entire thing throwing a massive hissy fit when you try to get a custom map to display correctly isn't your idea of a jolly good time?
>>44449239
>My only problem with it is more to do with the difficulty of running games for people who live in wildly different time zones.
Hey, as long as you can ensure everyone is at most situated between GMT + 1 and GMT - 5 there's not too much of an issue.

Fuck those GMT +/- 8 niggas though. Nothing but queers, I'm telling you.
>Why must all the good players be Eurofriends?
Wider variety of systems played (yes, a fuckton of systems COME from the US, but fuck you if you actually want to play them) leads to higher willingness to accommodate. Plus being accustomed to WoD, SR, Das Schwarze Auge and 40KRPG means the average player will have a far higher tolerance for low combat/high RP/high lethality campaign s.
>>
>>44449338
This.

Roll20 is a solid tabletop and is perfect so long as you never have to deal with players that you don't already know.
>>
>>44449284
Check the giantitp forums then. Exalted is fairly common there, but I will say that pbp games flake a hell of a lot more than regular sessions.
>>
>>44449907
Shame you can't recruit non PBP games there
>>
>>44450197
I see the odd thread asking for Skype/roll20 games (very rarely someone trying and failing to get IRL games), I dunno whether or not there's a rule against it but nobody bothers to enforce it if so (seems like mod attention has been focusing on the spambots).
>>
>>44448965
Exalted isn't really that rare. I've been in two games, invited to a third, running one currently, and passed a player I wasn't going to take onto yet another game. Finding players who aren't complete fucking tools for Exalted, however, is a bit of a chore.

Granted, I passed up the invitation, because I didn't want to GM yet another game, and rotating GM games are the fucking worst.

Finding Exalted on Roll20 requires good use of the LFG system, which I understand is still mostly trash, or finding a solid group and making them understand that Pathfinder and D&D are not the end-all of Fantasy RPGs, despite how much of that bullshit gets pushed there. Hell, my Exalted group started as a D&D4e game, and we swapped after CharGen. Literally only one person had a problem and dropped, and they were easily replaced.
>>
>>44450197
It's either allowed or not enforced. I think you are getting GITP confused with myth-weavers.
>>
>>44449907
>but I will say that pbp games flake a hell of a lot more than regular sessions.
I have never gotten an Exalted thread that lasted longer than a month on GITP. Ever.

The STs there all suffer from extreme ADHD. They get super excited about running, get through creation and then realize they don't actually want to run, but to play.
>>
>>44450705
I'm pretty sure you're a Swede...
>>
>>44450836
I'm not, but I'm not sure how that bears on my statement, either way.
>>
>>44450767
I've had a few games that lasted relatively well, but only one that got really long (I'm talking hitting the page limit long), and even that one didn't really end properly (but that's probably down to the weird structure of it).

So far the only game I've been in that looks like it'll have a proper end is a M&M one, because from the outset the GM had an established structure that we're following.
>>
>>44450934
Pretty sure I've heard this story before.
>>
>>44450954
What story? I rarely post here to begin with.
>>
Has anyone here joined a furry game just to mess with them at every chance?
Alternatively, have any of you had experiences with furries on roll20?
>>
>>44451052
...Do you not have anything better to do with your time?
It's a shitty culture, yes, but why waste your time ruining other people's fun?
>>
>>44445907
Our GM put up an LFG and we had 32 responses.

GM, being the naive, innocent soul that he is and being unable to pick somebody, or indeed, ask any of us to pick somebody out of the lineup, invited them all to sit in on sessions, 2-3 at a time, and we did eliminations.

11 flaked out. Six were given the boot for not understanding how a mic works and refusing to stop mouthbreathing at 150 decibels. Another three people gone because they were arguing with their parents in the background and clearly no more than 13-14 years old. One more gone shortly after that because he said 'Rofl' out loud and then started giggling in a disgustingly nasal fashion. Three more bite the dust when they slam down their near-maxed characters from a different campaign and demand to play them. Another three gone when it becomes clear that all they want to do is play Edge Simulator 2014 and pull people into a magical realm. One person forgot their mic was on, and she started masturbating. You could hear the flesh jiggling. Pretty sure the GM actually vomited. Three people dislike the GM's style and part ways amicably.

32 people. 32 FUCKING PEOPLE. And we found ONE who was actually suitable to join the game, and only four who weren't twisted human wreckage. This is the major problem with Roll20: All the good players are snapped up quickly, and so the filth just collects, leaping upon any new listing like a tsunami of piss and making it near impossible to find anything of value in amongst the human garbage.
>>
File: 1450397085326.gif (2 MB, 374x176) Image search: [Google]
1450397085326.gif
2 MB, 374x176
>Every 3 weeks or so, log into Roll20 and try to find a game that's friendly to new players (still have difficulty making characters) and a non-magical realm setting.
>Nothing during my only 5 hour time slot of the week
I know it's not your guys fault, it's mine for having such a narrow taste in what I want to do.
>>
>>44451083
Because I have free time and want to see if this "furries are always autists" rumor is true.
>>
>>44446203
Like 10 of those pages are literally comic pages.

Why
>>
>>44451087
>One person forgot their mic was on, and she started masturbating.
Well hey I guess something in your game must've been doing it for her.
>>
>>44445907
>Roll20 has done a lot of terrible things to the hobby since it came about.

You mean like letting disgusting neckbeards like you into it?

>>>r/traditionalgames
>>
>>44451119
Ever try the gamefinder here on /tg/?
>>
I've got nothing but love for roll20, I love DMing as much as possible and my group can only meet up twice a month and I feel as though I'd start to go insane if I only had a chance to game that little.

Is the community bad and full of the worst pieces of filth on planet earth? Absolutely. But here's the thing: pen and paper games are full of the worst filth on planet earth, you will not find better players irl. Sure you're exposed to a greater quantity of them on roll20 but that's a given due to how accessible and encompassing it is. We all like to talk about our main group that we've been gaming with for years and love like they were family, but take a step back and realize how long it took to find them and remember all the bad groups you've dealt with in person completely away from roll20. There is no avoiding scumbags in this hobby.

Before roll20 was a thing and virtual tabletops as a whole for that matter, finding people to play that one obscure system that you're dying to try was next to impossible, now you just have to put some effort into screening the players and you're ready to roll.

I know I'm certainly guilty of being a judgmental cunt but there's a point where we as GMs need to realize that we do it to have fun and above all else to provide other people with fun, something that I feel gets too often lost when playing with perceived bad players. Maybe they aren't top shelf roleplayers and veterans of 20+ years and their characters are a bit too Mary Sue, that's okay - they have to start somewhere.
>>
File: 1426172137768.jpg (78 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1426172137768.jpg
78 KB, 1280x720
>First time on Roll20
>Know GM in real life
>Make a female character because I've never played as one
>Nearly get raped within 2 hours of the start of the first game session

Seriously what the hell? Teachs me not to play outside of my comfort zone...
>>
>>44445907
The worst thing I've had to deal with is sometimes the dice roller doesn't like it when I use the less than symbol and all my GMs making map sizes that are stupidly huge and literally require an entire session to get into combat with shit- which btw if a map is that big it fucks up the zoom a lot. Oh and the fact it keeps wanting to default to my fucking webcam and I have to reset it every time i join a new game. But I mean...fuck it's better than trying to use tabletop simulator haha.
>>
>>44451190
No, due to a combination of me being skittish as hell and originally thinking it was for real life meetups only
>>
>>44450705
>and passed a player I wasn't going to take onto yet another game.
Animus, that you?

Thanks for pointing me towards that other Exalted game. Sadly, the GM said his family was going to keep him busy longer than expected, so that game has either died or been delayed for the foreseeable future.

Regardless, thanks for all the help. If you ever have room in your game again, Id very much be interested.
>>
>>44446322
>>44446659
>No that's for the forums. I'm talking about the LFG Postings.
>They then added the giant thing at the top of the LFG Postings about microphone, text, and other such stuff. Took months to do this.
Can't see it either. Cap?
>>
File: lfg info.png (32 KB, 761x615) Image search: [Google]
lfg info.png
32 KB, 761x615
>>44453316
It's in an individual game's LFG page/forum.
>>
>>44451309
>not accepting orc cock
wooooow what a bigot
>>
>>44445907

People getting their panties in a twist when I clearly label my games as 'text only'. And then they don't back off when I tell them I'm not changing it.

Oh and it has completely garbage frameworks and a bunch of useless additional tools such as the music box. Map Toole is infinitely better if you have a modicum of coding experience, although connectivity issues can be very annoying especially with people who are morons.
>>
>>44454414
>connectivity issues can be very annoying especially with people who are morons
Wait a moment...
I'm a moron....
>>
>>44454514

It's mostly inattentive plays who don't set correct stack sizes or don't know how to open their poets and then whine the whole time that they have to put in minimal effort to make a game work.

Also the types who wouldn't finish their sheets (despite having a character builder program...) or make their own token properly I got the framework up and running.
>>
>>44454576

>poets

Ports*
>>
>video and voice only
>GM won't budge
>get in game
>It's a bunch of yuros who insist on using English despite their spoken English being terrible
>They all look like nerd stereotypes OR pothead hipster 'mosrrn pagans'
>>
>>44454414
>useless additional tools such as the music box
Why would you hate on an optional feature that's actually very useful to have? The music player is even one of the least buggy features roll20 has. I mean I get it if you just don't like playing background music in your games, but that strikes me as a weird thing to list as a negative.
>>
>>44454701

It's that the selection sucks and AFAIK you can't upload or use any of your own stuff.

Plus with the majority of games being voice enabled I find it gets lost in the background noise of chortle ngs neckbeards or faux drama students putting on their best Tolkien's World of Blizzard craft and Dungeons Darkest accents.
>>
>>44446255
>I still wonder why.
It's just a thing that happens.

It's how somehow degenesis community here is total dogshit and pfg is, surprisingly kinda helpful. Sometimes.
>>
File: 1449363552106.jpg (788 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
1449363552106.jpg
788 KB, 2560x1920
I've been meaning to test Roll20 for a while now, what's a good system to try the first time?
>>
>>44451190

/tg/ posters flake hard, especially anyone offering to gm.

The only good and consistent game I played was for Werewolf the Forsaken, and also Apocalypse. It died instead from players being flakes.
>>
>>44454801
It uses music from soundcloud. Use the actual website to search for music instead of the horrible built in roll20 one and you can find plenty of good stuff. And yes, you actually can upload music there yourself and use it on roll20. The only real downside of it is having to go through a second website instead of it all being done entirely through roll20, but even then it's not that big of a deal since soundcloud is a neat site to use anyway.

I can see it maybe getting in the way of voice games, but you can adjust the volume (or disable music entirely) if it becomes an issue.
>>
>>44445907
Every link now reproduces "It's okay to be gay" by tomboy. On repeat.
>>
>>44451123
Everyone on a /tg/ hobby is an autistical fuck.

You included.
>>
>>44454874

Dnd 4e or PF. Forces you to make use of the map, grid, and tokens, tests your ability to multitask, track, and also challenge your players mechanically. Also making maps and tokens becomes essential. Also teaches you how to get your turns over quickly with minimal fuss.

I went through that crucible and came out a better GM. Also made me dissatisfied with groups that talk hot shit and flex about their roleplaying and narrative qualities, but all their combat turn into 'I swing at x' for 2-3 hours, like slamming our faces into a brick wall despite the pre-fight build up and drama making it sound like the fight was going to be 'legendary'.
>>
>>44451052
How to annoy in furry games
Step 1. Be gay
Step 2. Pray they're in the closet (there is only 2 kinds of furries, fags and closet)
Step 3.????
Step 4. MAXIMUM PROFIT (And a bf probably more pathetic than you if you're lucky! (remember if your SO is less pathetic than you, you're doing it wrong))
>>
>>44446330
I am a few steps behind this guy. I haven't even signed up but I have always wanted t try table top RPGs I just have no clue where to start.

I have a good mic and computer but don't know what game to learn. Ideally either Fantasy or Sci Fi but since thats all that there is that does not help at all.... I don't want to start trying to learn a game only to not fin a group for it.
>>
>>44446138
agreed. this is where I actually found people whom want to play. it's almost a year now and they've been really good players, although they did teach me more about roll20 than I knew, now I'm better than ever.
>>
The most annoying aspect (aside from the general roll20 population) is trying to find a map you can use that doesn't resize like shit. Thank God I mostly run 13th Age; many of my battlemaps end up being portraits.
>>
>>44456239
>13th Age
Please tell me you have open slots.
>>
File: Example.png (464 KB, 1278x910) Image search: [Google]
Example.png
464 KB, 1278x910
>>44456239
I just use tile maps.

It's not pretty, but it gets the job done.
>>
>>44456620
What site is that from?
>>
>>44456649
Probably Tiled with RPG Maker tilesets. http://www.mapeditor.org/
>>
>>44456388
Sorry, I'm not running right now. Actually looking to get into a game myself as a player. It's been so long.
>>
>>44456649
That was made directly with RPG Maker, there are some faint event objects visible.
>>
>>44446203

Mkay, never played WoD.

There are some things that look wrong with this. The clear min-maxing (did they put all their points into strength and dex?), the bullshit negatives, and the huge backstory. But these are pretty subjective.

The only thing that triggers me here is their usage of a single comic-character in all the images, with shitty dialogue included. You can just imagine the little shit, basically making their character look like this cool person they saw in the comic, but as an edgy vampire child. I don't know how high an appearance score of 3 is, but it is not "sexy preteen gymnast".

Guys who play chick characters like this inevitably end up being self-absorbed selectively intelligent but mostly moronic cunts, who mumble what their character does while masturbating to their optimized dicepools and cool image of the character in their head.

An image no-one else at the table sees or derives pleasure from imagining.
>>
>>44457593
You gotta question how an 11 year old with literally no social ability managed to convince people to buy her guns. And a motorcycle. And how she overpowered her sire and ate her soul.
>>
>>44457636

Skimmed the backstory, but it's not that bad. I've seen worse, anyway. Kid could have stolen things or betrayed their master at a critical moment, this being a game that I'm assuming is about being modern vampires.

I kind of like large backstories, even if they're bad. It shows the player is going to be passionate about the story, if they roleplay their character right. But some things are just red flags. A minor one is a guy playing a girl character non-ironically. It's difficult enough to roleplay a compelling character, and roleplaying a gender you're not means people aren't going to see you as Fae, the gorgeous teenage Elven Princess, but as a fatass mouthbreather with a girl's name.
>>
>>44446542

Players need a GM or there's no game to run
GMs do not need individual players because there's literally thousands of them a click away

Sorry m8 but that's the economics of the situation
>>
>>44458102

Shit, just get all your stuffed animals together and you don't need players period.
>>
>>44457856
>roleplaying a gender you're not means people aren't going to see you as Fae, the gorgeous teenage Elven Princess, but as a fatass mouthbreather with a girl's name.
That's not as much of a problem if it's Roll20
>>
>>44458125

Like, you can be passive aggressive about it all you want m80, but thems the breaks. GMing is hard and most people don't like doing it. Literally anyone can sit down at a table and say what their PC does.

Supply and demand, broheim. The sooner you learn to deal with it, the better off you'll be.
>>
>>44458223
I've been on both ends and have to agree. GMs are in notably smaller supply than players and they are the one HOSTING the game. The host of a party is the master of the house, leader of the party, final say.
While the GM should consider the opinions and ideas of the players, the GM wins in the end.
Unless they're a shit GM, then they should first learn from their players, "Your shit. Here's some times.Get good." and then get good.
>>
File: 1447624321953.png (95 KB, 700x300) Image search: [Google]
1447624321953.png
95 KB, 700x300
>>44445959
>Find a game for King Arthur Pendragon
>Holy crap, I've been waiting for this for so lo-
>It's some guy looking for a DM but he wants the DM to do a specific story he wrote up
>>
>>44458102
Was getting baited part of your plan?
>>
>>44459164
Not him, but who even cares anymore about trolling, successful or not?
>>
File: OMG TROLLED_1.jpg (75 KB, 441x310) Image search: [Google]
OMG TROLLED_1.jpg
75 KB, 441x310
>>44459164
>>
>>44446542
>>44458125
Seller's market.
>>
File: 1321826721033.jpg (20 KB, 364x344) Image search: [Google]
1321826721033.jpg
20 KB, 364x344
>Looking for a group
>See LFP post that interests me
>Second line of the post
>*LGBT Safe Space*

Yeah, I think not.
>>
File: 1451334591362.png (1 MB, 735x810) Image search: [Google]
1451334591362.png
1 MB, 735x810
>>44461958
>Make new account
>Go full Drama queen who is a Dragonwulf-kin(a hybrid between a dragon and wolf) that identifies as a trans-trans-sexual (is sexually attracted to anything meta)
>Be as flamboyant and dramatic as possible
>Get pissed off when the party does something rational on the reason that logic is fundamentally against your sexuality.
>Anytime you fight a boss, say the group needs to stop because you're now physically attracted to it and want to try to befriend/sex it, regardless of the story line
>See how long you can push this until even the LGBT safe space individuals attack your safe space.
>Attack them with their own hypocrisy for the win.
>>
>>44461958
LINK.
>>
>>44462533
But Anon, the only thing I have to do to attack your safe space is say "LGBT safe space", you big sissy.

And honestly, if you think any non-Tumblr normal person couldn't sniff out your bullshit the moment you presented yourself, you really are a /pol/-tier idiot.
>>
>>44462594
>any non-Tumblr normal person
Which weren't ever the target of his scheme in the first place.
>>
>>44462594
>But Anon, the only thing I have to do to attack your safe space is say "LGBT safe space"
And did you give a fuck about my safe space whatsoever when you said that? I thought that my safe space was supposed to protect me from statements like that?
>>
>>44462621
I have more pronouns than you, which means I have more rights.
>>
Anyone find it kind of obnoxious how Council of Thieves and Rise of the Runelords gets the lion's share of advertisements for Pathfinder? It's really getting quite ridiculous.

What dick do I have to suck to get a quality Reign of Winter or Wrath of the Righteous? Or hell, a campaign set in the Land of the Linnorm Kings or Taldor that isn't 15-20 PB in Rusty Dagger Shanktown?
>>
Anyone have tips for outing flakers before he first session?
>>
>>44462731

As a consistent flaker, the easiest way to out someone like me is to ask if they're actually fine with the start time or character creation rules.

If they seem fine with both, just pepper them with questions about their character. When I'm feeling flaky towards a campaign, I usually don't have a lot of solid ideas on the character I'm making, so when I finally do make one for the session I'll never join, I just don't feel "into" it.
>>
>>44462731
I run with friends, but maybe have a first session where people work out there character concepts and just shoot the shit? Maybe just straight-up say you're going to drop flakes like a brick, and they'll leave on their own?
>>
>>44445907
Good experience, although the interface is shitty at times.

Almost no text games (I don't care for voice games much) and almost no games in my timezone, though.
>>
>>44446883
>D&D under Hasbro/WotC has been the harbinger of this sort of thing
Considering that 3e was, at it's time, the odd man out when it came to outrageous mechanical complexity and false promises, what are you talking about?
Did you play rpgs in the 90s?
>>
>"we're a group of 3 looking for a DM"
Just... just no. STOP.
>>
File: 1337026210728.jpg (80 KB, 456x386) Image search: [Google]
1337026210728.jpg
80 KB, 456x386
>>44463039

>We're a group of 3 looking for a DM
>We want the campaign to be level 20
>We want these character creation rules
>We want you to make a custom setting for us

People like this exist, and that scares me.
>>
>>44462533
The thread that >>44461958 is referring to requires a cam to even get in. He can't be that much of a shitlord, I'm afraid, without exposing himself personally to the group.
>>
>>44457636
non-WoD player here, can vamps even overpower their sires? Don't the sires own a back-up button that they click and the vamp goes little doggy mode asking for belly rubs?
>>
>>44462706
Helps if you have a preference towards APs that aren't utter shit. Granted, that's hard. Because all of them are.
>>
>>44462706

>tfw when I will never, EVER, get to play Red Hand of Doom

Granted I'm not sure I actually could play it, given that I've gone and read the whole thing, but you know.
>>
>>44463112
In CWoD, you weren't really gonna just overpower your sire, you had to exploit a weakness or gang up on them.
>>
>>44463148
CWoD=oWoD, right?

>tfw you always played a good servant for your sire and didn't cause problems
>>
>>44463176
Yea, even tho it literally is WoD, now that New World of Darkness has been renamed Chronicles of Darkness or something stupid.
Generally, I had a deal with my sire: I do my think, help you out of you need it, but we are our own leeches.
>>
>>44457856

>I kind of like large backstories, even if they're bad. It shows the player is going to be passionate about the story

Not really.

It shows they're passionate about THEIR story.

Whether or not that translates to also being passionate about the story of the actual game is a crapshoot
>>
>>44463213
Makes sense, the only characters I played where
>Knight/King man, he respected the sire as his new spiritual leader of sorts
>Brujah enforcer, sire was his boss, so he had to respect his boss

Now I kinda want to play oWoD again
>>
>>44463217
>It shows they're passionate about THEIR story.

This.

The absolute best backstories are ones where the player shows they have a vocabulary, can string a coherent plot together in two paragraphs, and leaves enough to the imagination that the DM can pick through it.
>>
>>44463217
Tis true, I think.
But it also depends on what the backstory is.
The longest backstory I wrote was about a kid born to a respected dogooder family who wanted fuck all to do with it and moved away to be a peasant. Then some family enemies found him and fucked him up good, killed his family, burnt his home, so he went back to his folks and begged them to train him to do the right thing.
Then he set out to make up for lost time, and maybe find the fuckers who killed his wife.
>>44463264
I got burned on OWoD playing with power gamers who had a problem with me playing a curmudgeonly old fart who just wanted to watch his stocks go up, play a LITTLE bit of politics, and tell the young fucks to fuck off his lawn.
An actual, purpose made social sort vamp was dragged on basically dnd combat crawls, and only got by with outrageous Fortitude dots and hiring thugs to fight for him.
It was so shit, I never played again.
>>
>>44463356
I say oWoD because i'm even unsure what changed in nWoD (And I automatically thought the name was oWoD).
>>
>>44463384
>I say oWoD because i'm even unsure what changed in nWoD
The lore changed, the setting became a toolkit rather than a running plot, mechanics evened out to be less janky with far fewer "I win" or "I lose" buttons.
I've played half the NWoD lines, and had a good time, if only because the mechanics were solid and the st inventive.
We were playing gangsta werewolves, complete with wolfbloods and regular humans in the pack before it was a thing in the books. Ever see how much coke a werewolf can snort before he wigs the fuck out?
We got to 2.3 kilos.
>>
>>44463426
I just imagine some black thugs and werewolf doing gang signs and a dry-by shooting at the wurm-thing-corruptor that werewolfs dislike.
>>
>>44455087
I'm gonna get some serious shit for this, but start with D&D. Do a small amount of research on 4th and 5th to see which you prefer (both are good but for different reasons) and look for a group for the one you like best. It's one of the easiest systems to find a group for and one of the easiest systems to learn. After getting a D&D campaign under your belt you can try branching out to some sci fi with things like FATE, GURPS, Dark Heresy, Only War, Numenera, etc. or you can look into different flavors of fantasy with things like Iron Kingdoms, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, or Exalted. If you really liked D&D you could try the edition you didn't pick or Pathfinder. If you fell in love with what you had then there's nothing wrong with sticking with that same edition of D&D for a few more campaigns before trying something new, the point is to have fun after all (you should still eventually try something new though, variety is the spice of life).
>>
>>44463445
Well, usually it was the houses that spirit ridden or beshilu were hold up in.
Spider hosts, we burnt that shit to the ground.
In fact, we burnt a lot of places to the ground. We figured that getting rid of wellsprings of malevolent spirits wholesale was better than trying to beat the spirits back. We sorta created a Wound after torching the oldest projects in Detroit, but we called in some favors and cleansed it, then used some political contacts to have a park and community farm built there.
>hood love, son, hood love
>>
>>44463517
>detroit
Nothing was lost.

How bad is WoD in roll20? Bad enough for a story time?
>>
>>44463471
I would instead recommend something you can get behind passionately, because if you don't love the idea of it, no amount of ease of use will do the job.
>>
>>44463541
>Nothing was lost.
Well, a lot of people died, and we eventually got the attention of VALKYRIE and a few Mexican+Russian cartels, but the end result was one of the worst ghettos in America was slowly improving (because we ruled it with an iron fist and hatemurdered anyone that got in our way, the Wolf Pack Protects).
As for WoD in roll20... It's not BAD, but people are usually not the type to excel in that kind of game mindset.
>>
File: 0mXC7w7.jpg (823 KB, 2250x2773) Image search: [Google]
0mXC7w7.jpg
823 KB, 2250x2773
>>44445907
It's a free resource.

You've gotta be one of the most entitled fucks I've ever seen.
>>
>>44463542
Being passionate about roleplaying has nothing to do with the system used. It's all about your desire to play the game, the quality of the GM, and the quality of the players. In that order. It's not the system, its your attitude.

When someone wants to get into roleplay and is excited about it, the system doesn't matter. So the best system to start with is naturally the one easiest to find a game in. Which for fantasy is D&D.

That said you're right that he shouldn't go for D&D if he hates the setting or can't get excited about finally being able to be an elven ranger who defends his forest home or a wizened sage whose magical power will one day eclipse that of a minor god. But he shouldn't have any preconceptions because he's never played it and has only our advice to guide him. And to him we're just mindless shitheads on the internet, each one a bigger faggot than the last. Or we should be.
>>
>>44463763
>But he shouldn't have any preconceptions because he's never played it and has only our advice to guide him
However, everyone has settings that interest him.
If fantasy doesn't really hook him, in, but sci fi does, D&D shouldn't be recommended.
>>
>>44463636
Yes and it has killed all people wanting or trying to get a game in real life as well as lowers the overall tolerance of the TTRPG community.
>>
File: 1431469298080.jpg (58 KB, 530x530) Image search: [Google]
1431469298080.jpg
58 KB, 530x530
>>44463864
>All
Jesus, you're a pretentious fuck.
>>
>>44463823
Completely true.
And he said:
>Ideally either Fantasy or Sci Fi
So suggesting a fantasy setting first (especially when they're so much easier to find games for) is a non-issue.
>>
>>44463968
found the roll20 shill that's autistic lmao
>>
>>44464243
Where I'm from, TTRPGs aren't very popular: if I wanted to play IRL I'd have to drive an hour and a half every time. It's not cheap to drive a car, you know?

Also, the only games they would play are D&D, Pathfinder, Cyberpunk and Vampire/WoD or whatsit.

Roll20 helped me to find the game that I wanted to play with a group of amazing people.
>>
>>44458125
>>44458223

Not the guy you were arguing with. I was being serious. I've played awesome games with my stuffed animals.
>>
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 600x801) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 600x801
>>44445907

The only thing Roll20 did was made it easier for RPG players and GMs to get in touch with each other. Roll20 did not do anything bad to the hobby - it only made it easier to see the general behavior of a lot of gamers. If you want to get salty, get salty at the kind of people our hobby attracts for some reason, not Roll20
>>
>>44449284
If you don't mind joining a PbP game that's progress for a year or so (remembering that it's PbP so progress has been pretty slow), I currently have a 3-man group and I'm not against adding another player, if I find you a reasonably chill enough dude.

I know the struggle of looking for a Exalted game, which is why I gave up and ran one. Hit up Anjoga on Mythweavers.
>>
>>44463217

This is true. I retract my earlier statement.

On a somewhat different but related subject, after GMing about 4 or 5 campaigns on roll20, weeding people out has gotten easier.

My formula:

>> Tell them right off the bat, in bold, to send me a PM instead of posting in the thread. Anyone dumb enough to post in the thread is ignored.

>> Ask them to confirm they are good for the time, their timezone, and if there are any things that could possibly cause complications.

>> Ask them their level of experience, and what character they're thinking of playing.

>> Ask them to provide you their skype if it's a skype/roll20 game.

Asking these questions saves you tons of time. The most people who've ever expressed interest for one of my games was 24 or 25, and going through all of them just took a few hours with requirements like these. Adding a clear house rules section to the game page also saved tons of time on common questions.

But the main point and biggest benefit of all this is how effective it is in weeding out undesirables. A lot of people skim the LFG listing. The kind of people who can't be bothered to read the listing aren't usually the people you want in your group.

This isn't always the case, I've gotten people I've liked a lot who didn't follow the instructions correctly, and gotten total weirdos who did everything I asked. This is solved by, literally, just a little talk with them on skype. Come up with a BS reason to talk to them so they don't put on a show like it's an interview, then chat with them. You'll learn pretty quick if this is the kind of person you want in your group.

If you don't have time for that, just read into their responses closely. You want someone who will give you all your info, not give you a bunch of details you didn't ask for, not give you a super-long backstory, not talk too much about system mechanics nonsense, and has a respectful tone with nice spelling, grammar, and syntax construction skills.

cont.
>>
>>44445907
Shit? I dunno ive had a good experience using it. it basically is the only reason I can play tabletop games and I've met a lot of my good friends over it. Of course I don't play DnD so that may be my saving grace.
>>
>>44465476

None of those things are bad or good alone, but you got to treat it like your an interviewer for a job. If a person makes little to no effort to tell you the info you need, and the tone of their text implies a self-absorbed and/or 'whatever' attitude, well that's the red flag you're looking for.

Once you got the game together, keep in regular contact with the players, making sure everyone's still good with the schedule, and you've got all their character's details correct.

There's my advice. It's worked for me.
>>
File: 1443922073547.jpg (74 KB, 540x332) Image search: [Google]
1443922073547.jpg
74 KB, 540x332
>>44454414
Text only slows things down majorly, i mean I can understand why you might not want cam, I have been Guilty of playing in only a bathrobe a few times (late games yo).
>>
>>44465376
Just sent you a message, let me know if you got it.
>>
>>44445907
I seriously doubt that roll 20 made anything worse, it just made it easier to encounter problems that already exist.
>>
>>44465769
Any DMs here who will allow me to play a Really High Elf in their roll20 campaigns?
>>
I've been using roll20 for years as a GM and I love it.

Sure you get some idiots or flakes -- just boot them and find someone else. Players are the easiest thing to find. I usually make it a point to let my players know they're expendable so they don't get uppity with me.
>>
>>44467449
> I usually make it a point to let my players know they're expendable so they don't get uppity with me.
You sound like a fun and reasonable person.
>>
File: 1442821506412.jpg (30 KB, 450x297) Image search: [Google]
1442821506412.jpg
30 KB, 450x297
>>44467382
Hay maaaaan I lI've in the forest and eat like mushrooms and herbs, it's totally groovy and like mother nature approved (hu)man.
>>
>>44445907

Social dynamics aside, it's not a very good piece of software and has a terrible time scaling with each additional player that joins a game session. The tools are not really user friendly, so there is a serious learning curve for just a player coming in the door. GM'ing a game is also a hard learning curve. If both players and GM know how to use the tools, it can be a "usable" system to play.

I think their basic problem is that initially they weren't sure whether they wanted to be an end user application or a platform. Each choice has a very different set of requirements. In the end, not knowing what they were hurt their development and ignored a lot of user's needs.
>>
>>44469397
Yes but when you compare it to all the other similar software that's out there, it's about as user friendly as you can possibly get. If you can recommend an easier program to get into, I'm all ears
>>
>>44471241
>Yes but when you compare it to all the other similar software that's out there, it's about as user friendly as you can possibly get. If you can recommend an easier program to get into, I'm all ears
The only thing that isn't more user friendly than Roll20 is its price, which costs around as much as a subscription-based MMO.
>>
>>44471646
>>44471241
*more user friendly about Fantasy Grounds
>>
>>44471241

It's the best option of a bad set of products. I am definitely looking for better, but settling for it until the better comes along.
>>
File: 1451416948867.jpg (56 KB, 485x459) Image search: [Google]
1451416948867.jpg
56 KB, 485x459
While I like Maptool's automation, allowance of more than just 100mb, and freedom, Roll20 requires no setup and makes finding a game easy. The gamefinding aspect is great, especially if you actually screen players. Have had better luck there than the gamefinder threads here, where some people would not show up beyond one session for now discernable reason. Some features are really nice, loving the way that macros are organized. Hopefully they integrate the compendium soon, would make running any open roleplaying game a breeze.
>>
>>44472708
You forgot that when roll20 takes a huge shit it is easier to re-join.

>We'll never get maptools with roll20 ease of use (to join at least)
>>
File: 1408842143509.png (174 KB, 314x369) Image search: [Google]
1408842143509.png
174 KB, 314x369
>>44446425
>I just don't like talking to people through a mic

Neither do I. That's why I run and play Text-Only games exclusively. Yeah, you miss out on a lot of the games you'd be able to play, but it's well worth not having to be in a conference call once a week.
>>
>>44473630
Same here
I am partially too nervous to play with random strangers online, but I also find text roleplaying more immersive. Even if OOC was voiced and IC was text, I use an IBM Model M so everyone would have to deal with the excruciating noise that comes with using this keyboard.
>>
i'm new to ttgs and decided to try this site
can anyone rec a game to try for someone who's never played one ever?
>>
>>44474092
GURPS
Maid RPG
>>
>>44456620
that's brilliant. But I don't think it would work for a lot of settings
>>
by the way guys, how about that AWFUL fog of war option unless you start shelling out money?

I hate it. it's god awful. Also their default drawing tools are as unintuitive as possible
>>
>>44474772
I usually have every player have an aura showing their sight, and manage eveything manually. You are right though, it is an annoying feature.
>>
>>44474846
very sensible. However, how do you manage hidden terrain? It's excruciating in open area environs

also, for overworld hexes.
>>
>>44474888
Overworld I just use a map, have everything scaled correctly so every measurement gives me the miles that would be travelled, and then use the standard overland travel rules. Sadly I don't use hexes, but if I did I would simply hide everything, and use polygon reveal one piece at a time.

For hidden terrain outside I just have another tile behind the current map, and move it to the front when it is found. It makes the players assume that everything is fine, until they are able to spot it IC.
>>
I've been playing and (mostly) running tabletop RPGs for 20 years now, but I've never played over the internet. For some reason I'm nervous to, and this thread has certainly reinforced some of my concerns.

What are some tips for playing online? Would it help to play in a bunch of games first, rather than try to run them?
>>
I like it because nobody in my area plays anything but modules
>>
>>44475100

I've only run online games. I love it, and can't imagine playing with all the inconveniences of real life. Just try out running a game and see how you like it. If you're not into GMing, finding a solid game might be a challenge, but you'll find one eventually.
>>
>>44475221
Thanks for.your advice and words of encouragement.

I've owned Tabletop Simulator for a while and really enjoy it for card games and board games.

And despite it having a lot of resources and materials, I've had trouble finding anyone's review of running or playing an RPG in it.
>>
>>44475100
I do both. I run a game for local friends and I run an online game for online friends. All I can really say is that if you set up a game and hope for good, friendly and attentive players, you're going to have to go through a -lot- of culling. There's a near endless horde of selfish cunts out there who will respect nothing and demand everything. Don't be afraid to just cut folk loose and whittle away what you don't want to deal with until you're left with people who appreciate you for what you are doing. Even the GM has to have fun y'see.
>>
>>44475398
>>44475221
And how responsive are people to the OSR community online. Most of my experience as a GM is with what most consider Old School and home brew content.

I'm certain that I'm wrong here, but I'm imagining the online community liking things to be less abstract, and appreciating more nuanced systems like more recent editions or combat-heavy systems.
>>
>>44475060
I just keep hidden map locations on the GM layer. Less chance of accidental reveals, plus they can have titles and everything ahead of time.
>>
>>44451271
This right here, good post
>>
>want to play
>decide to DM, make an LFG post
>anxiety kicks in as players start pooling in
>dat self doubt
>freak out, make an excuse and delete everything.

Fuck my life. I apologize to anyone who's been at the receiving end of something like this.
>>
>>44476954
Alcohol.
>>
>>44477026
Tried, only makes things worse. There's nothing more horrifying than a 6'7" bearded lumberjack looking motherfucker crying like a child.
>>
I hate almost everything about the site, but without it I wouldn't be playing many games or even meeting friends into these kinds of games.

I wish there was a better alternative that didn't cost a shitload of money, but Roll20 isn't something I want to see stop existing.
>>
>>44477758

Cost isn't so bad. But I agree with everything else you stated.
>>
>>44476954
Don't worry, Anon. I've done that too. Love running games for friends around a table, but get nervous about having to deal with strangers.
>>
>>44446080
I try not to invite full-on strangers to my campaign.
However, it should be noted people can show a side unanticipated when they're play-acting/murderhoboing.

At the same time, I wish I could find some more experienced and determined roleplayers than some net-friends I found. Brave amateurs... they do their part.
>>
File: 1440108694780.png (298 KB, 632x720) Image search: [Google]
1440108694780.png
298 KB, 632x720
>>44477758
>I hate almost everything about the site
Even me?
>>
>>44480688
Fuck off, anon.
>>
>>44478932
I don't mean Roll20 costs a shitload, I mean the alternatives do. Roll20 is fucking pennies.
>>
Roll20 has its bothersome parts but I don't mind it. I do all of my tabletop through it.
Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.