[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
That feel when the most hyped online game on earth is populated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: Golden_Age.jpg (58 KB, 455x340) Image search: [Google]
Golden_Age.jpg
58 KB, 455x340
That feel when the most hyped online game on earth is populated almost exclusively by MUD players and tabletop gamers.

I get a semi just thinking of those times.
>>
>>44443541
That doesn't describe WoW at all.
>>
>>44443634
That feel when the most hyped online game on earth is populated almost exclusively by Chinese slaves and Blizzard drones.

Better now?
>>
>>44443634
WoW is casual garbage. In UO's prime it was the people who broke character who were the weirdos. It was a golden age. This was closely followed by the golden age of mmo griefing which I personally didn't mind since the world was so brutal and unpredictable.
>>
>>44443843
Is it true that you could mess with people in UO by teleporting them unto some rock in the middle of the sea?
>>
>>44443824
Yes.
>>
>>44443919
Yeah that was one of the million ways you could fuck people over in uo. If you transported someone with magic or a boat to an island with no healers they would be stranded there until they could page a staff member.

This was before artificial systems were introduced to curb player behavior so you could do pretty much anything you wanted to anyone, anywhere. Including stealing their house with all their shit inside.
>>
>>44444054
>>44443919

UO is still the only game i've ever played where i was afraid to leave town and enter the woods.

because the woods were fucking filled with roving bands of murderous players who slew all who crossed their path. usually after calling them a fag.

then they killed your fucking pack mule and stole all your ore. if you had a horse they killed that. then they took everything you were carrying and dropped it onto the ground. then they cut up your body and took your head (yes, you could do this to dead player's bodies).

>VAS CORP POR
>VAS CORP POR
>VAS CORP POR
>VAS CORP POR
>You have been slain by the Grandmaster Mage BusterHymen!

on the other hand, it was a completely non-item-based skill system, and player-crafted items were functional and competitive, so getting pk'd just meant walking to the nearest player vendor and re-buying your armor.
>>
>>44444054
>>44444410
Gee, that sounds awfully fun.
>>
>>44444444
>>
>>44444452
Well it was because you had to use your brain. Obviously the main routes are going to be targetted by murderers so smart players traveled in groups or took a more discrete path out of town.
>>
>>44444519
>linking a fail get
Anon, please.
>>
>>44444410
That sounds pretty cool actually.
Like the world is somewhat alive and dangers are player created rather than roaming mobs.
>>
>tfw you got into MMOs way too late

I started playing XIV last year, and exploring the world was fun and all, but there was just nothing to do anymore. UO sounds like it was fucking awesome because of all the player-driven emergent shit that would happen, which doesn't really happen in themepark MMOs these days.
>>
>>44444452

well the other half of that situation was that when players killed too many other players, their names turned Red and they could no longer enter towns, use banks or stores, or get near guards without aggro.

you could put a bounty on a murderous player's head, and then collect it after killing them. so in addition to gangs of player-controlled bandits roaming the woods, there were ALSO player-controlled lynch mobs and guilds who would then storm the woods and slaughter red players. then cut off their heads and turn the head in to the nearest guard to collect the bounty.

there were entire towns including shops and housing built, run, and controlled entirely by players.

remember though, this wasn't like WoW - sure, you dropped everything you carried when you died, but none of your stats or skills were derived from your items - it's why the best players in the game basically ran around naked.

the point is, it was a persistent game world heavily influenced by the actions of its players, and which had very little official moderation or attempts to force players to go one way or another.
>>
>>44444705
Tried EVE?
>>
So, which online game are you gonna play this year, /tg/?
inb4 runescape

Most online games bore the hell out of me, but I'd like to try something fun
>>
>>44444879
FF14 for dress up simulator.

That's about it.
>>
File: 09-10-17 17.14.112.png (239 KB, 1042x557) Image search: [Google]
09-10-17 17.14.112.png
239 KB, 1042x557
>>44444879
Don't even bother with Runescape. The glory days are long past. The dream is dead.
>>
>>44445368
C'mon senpai, aren't some guys in /v/ playing an old version of runescape?
>>
>>44445573
Ain't the same. Maintenance is shoddy and there isn't much of a community to speak of.
>>
>>44444879

I downloaded a retro-client for TBC WoW on a free server.

I'm going to level up my main again. I love that game too much
>>
>>44444773
No, I don't exactly have the time for something as potentially engrossing as that, unfortunately.

I've also been put off by people who describe it as a spreadsheet simulator that you don't even have to play to play.
>>
>>44444879
I play SWTOR on and off right now. I used to play it more consistently for RP, but the last guild I was in pretty much killed all interest in RP I had in the game, so now I'm just sticking around for the new expansion's story.

I also play WoW, but that's primarily for a few friends in it that I really like; I RP with them and level some alts for RP, but that's really about it.

Eagerly awaiting EverQuest Next, but Emperor knows when that will be. Daybreak has been so quiet since they were bought out that I wouldn't be surprised if it was vaporware at this point. They announced that they started "internal testing" a few months ago, but that gives next to no information on the progression of development. It's very frustrating, because I love playing MMOs with friends, and if EQN doesn't pan out, then that's probably it for that genre for me, at least in the coming future. There aren't any other upcoming MMOs that seem particularly interesting, especially when it comes to RP.
>>
>>44444410
It was so easy to fuck with PKers though. IF you weren't a PKr you could just ghost over to town and get rezzed. the PK player would have all your stuff, but you'd be alive. If they died, it was much harder for them to get back up.

My buddy just put a bunch of points in alchemy, brewed a bunch of explosive potions, stuffed them in a sack, and then put the sack in his backpack. Thus prepared, he'd walk into bandit country. When he got engaged by a PKer, he activated one of the potions. The bandit then killed him, looted his corpse, complete with explosive bag, and the countdown would end, the potions would detonate, and the PKer would die in a fiery blast.

Then he could walk his ghost back to down, get rezzed, and walk back up and loot the bandit's corpse with little fuss. The bandit, not having any easy rez options, would just stand there looking ghostly and moan 'OOOoooOOoOOoOOooo!' impotently.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.