[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Devil Summoner: New Cycle Quest #26
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 11
File: Title New Cycle 2.jpg (250 KB, 900x596) Image search: [Google]
Title New Cycle 2.jpg
250 KB, 900x596
Previous threads: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Devil%20Summoner%20London%20Quest
Character Sheet: http://pastebin.com/4keHKgX4
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MolochQM

You'll be the first one to admit that you don't actually know THAT much about religion. You know the basics – at least, you thought you did, in a more innocent time – but that's really it. Even so, you know enough to recognise that the angel that slowly descends upon you, leisurely drifting down from a sky gripped with churning storm clouds, is up to no good.

Frankly, you think it might be the wings that colour your opinion. The feathers are pitch black, and have a particularly oily sheen to them that you cannot help but find distasteful. His voice – a silky smooth tone that carries a faint whining tone in it – doesn't help either, and you find yourself taking an immediate dislike to the divine being. This guy, this THING, is someone Cassandra considers trustworthy?

She must be more desperate than you had first assumed.

As the angel descends upon you, the world seems to drop away, leaving the three of you – with the divine being making it four – suspended in a black void. This seems... familiar, somehow, and you can't quite shake the memories of Source from your mind. Distance becomes irrelevant in this strange space, and you have a vague sense of falling – as if you're about to hit the ground at any minute.
>>
File: Mastema.jpg (18 KB, 228x352) Image search: [Google]
Mastema.jpg
18 KB, 228x352
>>44442140

And then, mere moments later, you have to ask yourself why you ever thought that the angel descending upon you could EVER be somehow untrustworthy. His noble features speak of a great humility and compassion, the kind that inspire loyalty, f not outright obedience, at a glance. It's true, you've had your problems with angels in the past, but is it really fair to judge them all by your highly limited experience? Of course not! Such foolish prejudice almost blinded you to the majesty and light of-

With a screaming bolt of pain, you feel a door slamming shut in your mind, the magic of your enchanted mask – and, perhaps, some simple human spite – shutting out the attempt at bending your mind. Even so, the effort is blindingly painful, and when you instinctively clutch at your forehead you find that the ruby set within the mask is red hot. The urge to cast the mask aside and be free of the pain – even if it means falling under the angel's spell – is immense.

“I am Mastema,” the angel begins, seemingly unaware that you're not bound to his will, “An angel of the Great Will. I am he who loves mankind, a defender of the meek and weary.”

You... doubt that somehow. Petra seems stunned, reeling in place with dull, unresponsive eyes, while Cassandra looks uncertain, staring down at her feet. What kind of relationship, you wonder, do they have? Not that of a master and servant – although you wouldn't be able to guess who took which role – but not quite equal partners, either. You open your mouth, floundering for words, when Mastema claps his hands together. In an instant, you are alone with him – the others have vanished, faded into the blackness around you.

>Where are the others, damn it?
>I guess it's just you and me now. So what do you want?
>I don't care about anything you have to say. Just stop messing with Cassandra
>Other
>>
>>44442142
>Other
"Wow, you're not even going to pretend are you?"

>I guess it's just you and me now. So what do you want?
>>
>>44442142
>>I guess it's just you and me now. So what do you want?
And what's it going to take to leave us alone?
>>
>>44442142
Dunno if this will work cause of magic, but go ahead and put our phone on record right now.
>>
>>44442142
>Cassandra seemed...contrite. Why?
>>
>>44442142
>>I guess it's just you and me now. So what do you want?
>>
>>44442179
>>44442224
>>44442254
>>44442263
>>44442293

Looks like it's just you and him now, you say carefully, so what does he want?

“Want?” Mastema repeats the word in a theatrical voice, as though mocking you for even daring to raise the issue, “I merely wish to restore a little order to the world – to return mankind to its rightful place.”

And what, you ask as you slide a hand into your pocket and switch the voice record function on your phone on, is mankind's rightful place? In his opinion, of course?

“Mankind has no rightful claim on divinity,” Mastema says with a shrug, his wings flapping luxuriously as he circles you slowly, “No good can – and, indeed, has – come from it. Man should remain grounded, his feet planted upon the earth, while the Great Will rules from on high. Of course, the Great Will has currently fallen silent – which brings us back to the original point. What do I want, you ask? I wish for the Great Will to return, to bring His Laws back to this unsettled world. Is that so wrong, really?”

Maybe, you shoot back, if what you've been hearing about this “Great Will” is true. He's quite the tyrant, or so you've been told.

“Perhaps,” Mastema admits, “His love might be strict, but can you really deny that mankind needs a firm hand to keep it in line?”

This is just going to keep going around in circles, if you keep this up. Cassandra seemed contrite, you ask with a grimace, why would that be? He's not... threatening her, is he?

“Of course not!” Mastema laughs, a rich chuckle that sets your nerves on edge. He's so... loathsome. “Perhaps she feels guilty, about breaking away from your cosy little group. Then again, perhaps she regrets breaking her promise to me – a promise that I wouldn't NEED to handle things personally. I've always preferred to work behind the scenes, so to speak.”
>>
>>44442382

So, you say as you risk getting back on track, what does he want – specifically – from you?

“I want you to leave us alone,” the black winged angel tells you, with another one of those simple shrugs, “We can both pursue our objectives without stepping on each other's toes – for a while, at least. Just leave your friend to fetch one – that's all I need, just one – of the divine fragments. I'm sure that won't be too much trouble. You'll be too busy elsewhere, I don't doubt, to keep watch on ALL of them.”

So that's it, huh? He's not even going to pretend to have a virtuous intention – what happened to all that “defender of the meek and weary” stuff?

“But that's true!” Mastema leers, “I love mankind – which is why I wish to see you returning to your appointed place in the Great Will's designs. You'll be happier there, I promise you that...”

The note of mockery in his voice strikes a nerve, and you find yourself clenching your fists in anger. That pain, the needling of your fingernails pricking your palms, reminds you – you've got a physical body here. You could fight him, if it came down to it.

>You bastard. I'll stop whatever you have planned
>Just leave Cassandra alone, that's all you want?
>Forget this, attack Mastema
>Other
>>
>>44442388
>Just leave Cassandra alone, that's all you want?
Lying. But do it meekly like a good child of man. Make him think he's won this debate, lower his guard.

Then
>Forget this, attack Mastema
>>
>>44442388
>>Forget this, attack Mastema
Honestly, I don't know what our chances are. Don't want to pass this opportunity up though.
>>
>>44442388
>Show some respect. Last Warning.
>Get ready to teleport-shoot
>>
>>44442543
He doesn't deserve a warning. Bastard immediately tried to manipulate us by fucking with our head the moment he appeared.
>>
>>44442427
>>44442467
>>44442543

Just leave Cassandra alone, you ask quietly, that's all he wants?

“That's what I said, is it not?” Mastema replies graciously, leaning down to give you a loathsome smile, the expression heavy with hubris. “There is no need for us to fight, is there?”

No, you say – with a passable attempt at appearing meek and defeated. You lower your head, looking down at the ground with the kind of humility he clearly expects from humans. With as much subtlety as you can muster, your hand sneaks towards Midnight's grip, your fingers brushing against the soft leather. Hiding your smile as best as possible, you close your hand around the weapon and ease it, ever so slightly, out of its sheath.

“You know your place,” Mastema croons, “That's a rare thing to see, in a child of man. Ah, if only everyone could be so-”

Cutting his smug sentiments off, you sweep Midnight out and slash upwards, the enchanted blade parting the air with a ringing chime. For a moment, there is silence in the wake of that note, Mastema looking down at you with wide, startled eyes. Then, just as you are starting to suspect that you missed, blood bursts from the angel's face, a glistening slash opening up on his cheek. You were aiming for his mouth, to shut him up perhaps, and you weren't far off.

“You fool!” Mastema shrieks, flying backwards with a mighty beat of his wings, powerful enough to knock you onto your back. “The arrogance! The foolish spite of man!”

Last warning, you snarl as you pull out your gun and point it at the furious angel, show some respect. If not, he's going to feel a lot more “foolish spite”.

“So be it!” Mastema shouts, his voice booming out into the black void, “Men have long since forgotten, but the Great Will is a god of SACRIFICE – now you'll be my offering to Him!”

He's pissed.

>Take a shot before he can recover
>Summon a demon to fight with you
>Teleport close and fight hand to hand
>Other
>>
>>44442590
>>Summon a demon to fight with you
Lilim, Rakunda and Lightning.

>Take a shot before he can recover
Then
>Teleport close and fight hand to hand

Mix it up. We have the advantage of being fucking everywhere with both ranged and melee capabilities.
>>
>>44442590
>Teleport behind him
>Summon a demon
Lilim

Use the teleport to fake him out, then start shooting him while the debuffs are being laid down
>>
>>44442623
>>44442590
There's no reason we can't do all of these, is there?
>>
Question. Is Taru- both Phys and Magic or is there a Maka- in this quest Moloch?
>>
>>44442673

>No, Mia can do all of those. Not at once, of course, but in pretty quick succession.

>>44442677

>I'll go with Taru- affecting both physical and magical skills. Keep things simple.
>>
File: Lilim.jpg (41 KB, 520x1054) Image search: [Google]
Lilim.jpg
41 KB, 520x1054
Rolled 111, 23, 21 = 155 (3d120)

>>44442623
>>44442663

Swiping your phone from your pocket, you call up Lilim, forcing the reluctant devil into this formless black void that you call a battlefield. To say she is reluctant would be understating it, as a deep shudder runs through her at the sight of Mastema.

“A devil?” the black winged angel announces, with a cruel laugh, “You expect an insect like her to defeat ME?”

“I certainly don't!” Lilim squeals, her little wings fluttering wildly as she jinks in place. Before she can say anything else, she falls silent – a hard order, sent without ever opening your mouth, stilling her protests. “Oh, here goes nothing!” she chirps a few moments later, scraping together her confidence as best as possible. She flings her arms out, bands of purple energy snaking out to lash as Mastema.

“Pathetic!” he snaps, even as the magic is lashing at whatever protection he has, “It will do you no good!”

In that case, you snarl as you pull out your pistol, he can try this! With Midnight in your other hand – your phone now returned to your pocket – you prepare to blink behind him, once the bullet has him off balance. Time to fight!

>Please roll 3D100, for Lilim, Mia's gun attack, and Mia's knife attack. I'll take the highest of the first three!
>>
Rolled 73, 17, 89 = 179 (3d100)

>>44442808
At least she got the Rakunda off.
>>
Rolled 4, 62, 8 = 74 (3d100)

>>44442808
Moment of silence for Lilim please.
>>
Rolled 54, 17, 77 = 148 (3d100)

>>44442808
>With Midnight in your other hand – your phone now returned to your pocket

And with that Mia realized the potential of forearm mounted Devil Summoning Apps.
>>
File: 1450638844845.png (26 KB, 438x469) Image search: [Google]
1450638844845.png
26 KB, 438x469
>>44442808
I see Mastema is suffering from two debuffs.

Rakunda and 'Attempted to use Mind Altering Magic on the Protagonist.'

I hope it lasts.
>>
>>44442917
>'Attempted to use Mind Altering Magic on the Protagonist.'
They never learn.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3eMjYAOjNo
>>
>>44442828
>>44442848

“Here I go!” Lilim begins, sparks flowing down her arms as she begins to cast a spell, “Lightning, coming right-”

There is a clap of thunder, and for the briefest of moments the black void around you turns totally white, blinding you completely. The moment passes quickly, but when you recover there is no sign of Lilim – nothing, save for a lingering scent of brimstone. She's just... gone.

“Filth like that should be wiped away,” Mastema says casually, “Don't don't worry – you'll be joining her soon enough. I'll send you to the Hell that you so clearly crave!”

Not yet, you snap as you fire a shot from your hawkish, beautifully carven handgun. It's a damn good shot, perfectly aimed despite the haste with which you took it. Hope turns to bitter disappointment as the angel bats the bullet away with an effortless sweep of one wing, sending the red hot sliver of metal shooting straight back at you, flying through the void beneath your feet. That's, you stammer in outrage, that's cheating!

“Like I said,” Mastema sneers, “A fool, to think you could harm one such as-”

While Mastema is busy gloating, you trigger Midnight's power and blink, shuddering through the void to emerge behind him. Before he can realise what you just did, you waste no time in plunging the blade into his side, digging it deeply into his unprotected flesh. The angel howls with pain – and, you think, a little fear. Could it be, you wonder, that he's unused to such pains?

Maybe it's time he learned, then.

“Mongrel!” Mastema gasps, smashing his wings into you and sending you flying backwards, slamming hard against the “ground”. Scrabbling to your feet, you prepare for the next round – but now, he's onto your little trick.

>Keep up this style of attack (Roll a 2D100, for Mia's gun and knife attacks. Best of the first three)
>Summon another demon
>Try a different strategy
>Other
>>
>>44443014
>Summon another demon
Hua Po

>Try a different strategy
Try to use her fire that she attacks with to obscure his vision and shoot him when he is blinded.
>>
>>44443014
>Summon another demon
Do we have anything that voids expel? If so do that. If not, use the blink as a reactionary thing - bait an attack, blink out and cut a bitch.
>>
>>44443047

>There was just Nadja, but she is currently out of action.
>>
>>44443014
>Summon another demon
Hua Po

Here's hoping he isn't INHERENTLY reflecting these shots. Can we set the gun to be non-elemental?
>Try to use her fire that she attacks with to obscure his vision
>teleport behind him to shoot

>>44443047
nadja's resistant, but she should wait until after Kin Ki
>>
>>44443014
He thinks we are going to come from behind or maybe the sides.

But what about blinking above him and using gravity to slash him as we come down?
>>
>>44443069
>Can we set the gun to be non-elemental?

>Yes, in the same way Petra can disable the fire element on her sword.
>And yes, Nadja is resistant to Expel, not immune. My mistake.
>>
>>44443054
Still!? ....shit.

>>44443090
yeah, let's do that. Keep the poison, though: you never know
>>
>>44443090
Set it non elemental then. Midnight's straight magic phys seems to be working.

Keep the poison though, can't hurt to have that still on.
>>
>>44443111
>>44443119
unless he voids/repels poison, of course.
>>
>>44443148
I don't think ailments can be reflected. If the bullet isn't reflected, there's no problem.
>>
File: Hua Po.jpg (12 KB, 180x240) Image search: [Google]
Hua Po.jpg
12 KB, 180x240
Rolled 82, 83, 75 = 240 (3d120)

>>44443037
>>44443047
>>44443069
>>44443081

Here goes nothing, you mutter as you summon Hua Po. She might be able to blind Mastema with a gout of fire, maybe even breaking his guard so you can get a good shot off. Speaking of that, you fumble out your gun and – following some instinct you couldn't quite name – twist the barrel clockwise. The metallic feathers adorning the weapon seem to retract, somehow, and the new gun feels different in your hand. Heavier, perhaps, and somehow oily. Hopefully this will do better than the last shot – he seemed to reflect that one without even breaking a sweat.

And, you remind yourself, he'll be watching his back this time – you won't be able to catch him off-guard like last time. Not in exactly the same way, at least. An attack from another direction, though...

Above?

The thought frightens you a little, as though you might fall right through the “floor” you've been walking upon and tumble into the abyss. It's a gamble, a real risk, but you might just be able to take his damn head off in a single swipe.

Alright, here goes!

>Please roll 3D100, for Hua Po, then Mia's gun and knife attacks. I'll take the highest of the first three!
>>
Rolled 19, 5, 99 = 123 (3d100)

>>44443222
Come on big rolls.
>>
Rolled 49, 14, 68 = 131 (3d100)

>>44443222
>>
File: 1445462343113.jpg (95 KB, 650x540) Image search: [Google]
1445462343113.jpg
95 KB, 650x540
Rolled 35, 31, 75 = 141 (3d100)

>>44443222
>>
File: Panic.png (189 KB, 659x386) Image search: [Google]
Panic.png
189 KB, 659x386
This is gonna suck.
>>
As much as I hate losing another demon, we got the roll that mattered the most.
>>
>>44443267
I hope Kin Ki is up for one more fight, though.
>>
>>44443408
After all we have left is Moh and Wind doesn't work.

I guess she can Chunni at him, that might annoy him enough for a distraction.
>>
>>44443232
>>44443245
>>44443255

A big ball of fire, you command Hua Po, just the thing to hide a bullet from Mastema's keen eyes.

“Alright!” Hua Po squeaks, her voice shrill with fright. She flings her arms out wide, like a child jumping for joy, and fills the air around Mastema with a thick orange smoke. Laughing nervously, her tone bordering on the manic, the little fairy clicks her fingers and causes the smoke to burst into a rolling cloud of greasy flames. The angel vanishes from sight, and you waste no time in firing a quick shot into the cloud. Then, bracing yourself for the painful touch of that same fire, you trigger Midnight's power.

Appearing in the air, hanging suspended above Mastema, you twist the enchanted knife into position as you tumble down into that rolling mass of fire. The flames die quickly as you enter them, fading before they can anything more than blind you, but they are still enough to force your eyes shut. It's only the thick sensation of your blade finding flesh that informs you of your success. You've cut something, and if the sudden loss of resistance is anything to go by, you've cut it right off. Landing heavily – your fears of falling endlessly coming to nothing – you open your eyes to see a hand, twitching, lying at your feet.

“Not bad,” Mastema, flying a few feet away, admits. His right hand is gone, the wrist seeping black blood. In his other hand, the left, he holds something, something small and still faintly glowing. The bullet you fired, held fast between finger and thumb. “Maybe there IS some satisfaction to be found in the more personal approach. I suppose those oafish Archangels can't be wrong all of the time.”

“Boss-” Hua Po begins, but there is another thunderclap and she is banished, wiped away like an errant piece of dust.

“Now...” Mastema says softly, regarding the bullet, “What to do with you?”
>>
>>44443464
Blink, move, summon Kin-ki. Just get out of the way!
>>
>>44443464

Before you can really say anything else – or even think of anything to say – he flicks the bullet at you. The little sliver of metal flies from his grip with a speed far beyond anything that any logical sense would justifiably predict, as if HE had been the one firing it at YOU. It flies straight and true, so fast that you can't quite track it's movement. You do feel a sudden pressure though, and your left arm goes suddenly numb.

“Let this be a lesson to you,” Mastema sneers, as you feel warmth tricking down your arm and realise, finally, where the bullet ended up. “Men should remember their place. Far below a superior being like myself.”

He... he shot you! He shot you with your own bullet! Maybe it's shock, but the sense of outrage seems to outweigh anything else you are feeling at the moment. At least, until you collapse backwards to the invisible floor, and let the falling sensation sweep you away. It's actually kind of... relaxing...

You should sleep. Just for a while.
>>
>>44443542
Was that the poison or him doing a sleep spell?
>>
File: Cassandra (Before Haircut).jpg (51 KB, 585x720) Image search: [Google]
Cassandra (Before Haircut).jpg
51 KB, 585x720
>>44443542

“I'm sick of people getting shot!” a voice, shrill with panic, wakes you, “Everyone always gets shot, or stabbed, or... or... mutilated, and I'm sick of it!”

“Calm down,” another voice snaps, in the hoarse voice of someone who has done a lot of screaming recently, “And carry your end, yes? You almost dropped her!”

They bicker some more, but you let their distant words wash over you, lulling you back into a pained slumber. You rest like that, fitful and shivering with the onset of a fever, for an unknown – and unknowable – length of time before finally, once and for all, you wake up. Clean linen sheets surround you, filling your senses with their fresh scent, and your arm feels... dead. Heavy and numb – you'd prefer pain, to be honest.

“A gift,” Joseph says softly, placing a little glass jar next to you. Within is a twisted nub of metal – the bullet Mastema blasted into you. Groggily, you sit upright and look around. Petra, Cassandra and Elliot are here as well, none of them quite willing to talk.

“So...” Cassandra offers, eventually, “Um, what happened to you?”

>Your pet angel tried to kill me!
>I picked a fight. Didn't end so well
>Can we change the subject?
>Other

>>44443580

Poison from the bullet.
>>
>>44443580
blood loss, I should think. At least Mia won't freeze to death after being dumped back into reality
>>
>>44443590
yeah, not really surprised

>play the recording
>I picked a fight. Didn't end so well
>I got what I needed, though. Weaknesses.
>>
>>44443590
"Mastema tried to use mind altering magic on us as soon as he appeared. When it didn't work on me he took me to some black void and started spewing bullshit at me so I picked a fight. I got a bullet shot back at me for my troubles but I got some good hits in, including taking his hand."

"Cass, stay away from that guy. He as much contempt for humanity and things he deems lower than himself as Michael, only he uses his mouth instead of a spear."
>>
>>44443590
>>I picked a fight. Didn't end so well
As tempting as it is to blame this on Mastema, Mia did kind of start it.
>>
>>44443669
>He as much
He has as much*
>>
>>44443677
we really should mention the mind-altering magic, though.
>>
>>44443703
Oh sure. No doubt about it.
>>
On one hand I'm sad we didn't win but on the other I don't think I can deny Joseph that kill.
>>
>>44443752
I wonder if we get to keep the hand. He'd be mad as fuck if we make it into an item.

A handgun for Joseph, maybe?
>>
>>44443752
>listen Joseph: don't use guns. He can mock humanity all he wants, but he's actual good at dealing with techy stuff.
>what do I do, then?
>well....you get a hammer.
>a hammer?
>and you SMITE EVIL
>>
>>44443785
fingerbones for bullets

skin sewn into a permanent middle finger cowl tip. Okay, that's not really Mia's style.
>>
>>44443677
>>44443669
>>44443609

Wait, you blurt out, your phone. You need your phone – where is it?

“Here, here,” Joseph says quickly, taking it from a drawer, “Don't worry, you're safe. Those two brought you back to the kingdom, arguing every step of the way. There's no need to panic, you're safe.”

Taking the gadget, you find yourself praying that nothing went wrong. If the recording failed, or it was corrupted... Shaking those fears out of your mind, you find the file – there, as it should be, and without any sign of damage – and play it. The voices that come from your phone are tinny, and echo strangely in a way that they never did originally, but they ARE there. There, and perfectly understandable. You play the message all the way through, and wait for Cassandra's reaction. Surely now she has to understand what she's getting into?

“Play it again,” she says tightly, causing Petra to scoff and turn away in disgust. When the message cycles through again, Cassandra folds her arms and thinks for a moment. “So?” she says eventually, “So what?”

So... what?

“He's right. Humans don't deserve divine power – that's what I told you, was it not?” Cassandra shakes her head, “I can't condone all of his views, or his attitude – truth be told, I hate him – but he's not wrong.”

Now wait a minute, you shout – at least, you shout as best you can – and struggle to sit up, listen here! From the minute you all arrived in that place, he was trying to twist your mind into compliance. When that didn't work, he pulled you into some lonesome void and gave you that little speech. You weren't having it, so you fought. It... didn't end well, you will admit. At least you did some damage.
>>
>>44443944

“Yes, he separated us,” Cassandra confirms, “So we could speak our minds in private. I imagine he was worried that your opinion might have been swayed by, well...” Lapsing into silence, here, she nods at Petra's back. “But, mind control? You're SURE about that?”

Pretty sure, you shoot back as you recall that boiling pain in your skull. It felt like your brain was being fried – it couldn't be anything else.

“That's... concerning,” Cassandra admits, “I don't... I'll have to ask him about that. I'm going to get answers, but that doesn't mean I'm... changing my tune or anything. Please understand that.”

Cassandra, you plead, stay away from him. FAR away. He has just as much contempt for humanity as Michael does, only he does his damage with his tongue rather than the point of a spear. He's dangerous – and he's only using her!

“I don't have to listen to this,” Cassandra mutters, turning to leave. Before she does, she turns back and puts her hand, briefly, on your unharmed arm. “But I'm glad you're still alive,” she whispers, making her exit soon after.

“You said you hurt him, yes?” Petra asks, once Cassandra is gone.

That's right, you confirm, you took his hand off.

“That explains it,” the redhead nods, pulling Mastema's severed hand out from a drawer, “Found this at the scene. Slipped it into my pocket when she wasn't looking.”

>Get that to Scathach. See what she can do with it
>How badly was I hurt?
>Go after Cassandra, please. Make sure she's safe
>Other
>>
>>44443958
>>How badly was I hurt?
>>Go after Cassandra, please. Make sure she's safe
give her the mask?
>>
>>44443958

I don't care about anything else right now. Damnit girl.
>>
>>44443958
Kinda surprised Joseph hasn't laid into Cassandra for falling for Mastema's shit. I imagine he'd be livid.
>>
>>44443958
>Go after Cass
>>
>>44443958
>>How badly was I hurt?
>>Go after Cassandra, please. Make sure she's safe
Send Petra after Cass, ask Joseph about our health.
>>
Should we have Cu Chulainn talk to her while she is here?
>>
>>44444132
She might be going to him. If not, we don't really know where he is. If he shows up though, yeah. Have them talk it out.
>>
>>44443984
>>44443996
>>44444032
>>44444103

Go after her, you ask Petra, please. You just need her to make sure Cassandra doesn't do anything foolish. Just make sure she's safe – that's all.

“She won't want to see me,” Petra starts to protest, but nods, “Ah, she can deal with it, yes? Better safe and unhappy. I'll get on it.” Without another word, Petra throws the severed hand down – it splats, somewhat, when it hits the floor, and charges out after Cassandra. You're alone, now, with Joseph – and he doesn't look very happy. With a heavy sigh, he pulls over a chair and sits next to you, rattling the little jar absent-mindedly.

“You know, that was a pretty stupid thing to do, attacking like that,” he says, “But really, I'd do the same. Hell, I'd throw the first punch, even without any of those fancy weapons you've got, just for the chance to wipe the smirk off his face.”

He... knows Mastema?

“We have history,” Joseph confirms, a quiet fury trembling beneath his voice, “Back then in my, eh, past life. He was the one that came to me, putting me on that dreadful path I ended up on. Then, when I was past the point of being useful, he cut his losses and abandoned me. Cassandra's got the same future ahead of her, I'm sure of it. She won't listen, though.” A pause, here, as Joseph looks at the flattened bullet plucked from your body. “He's got a way of getting under your skin, like that. By the end, you're sure that he's your best – only – friend.”

So... you ask after an awkward pause, how badly were you hurt?

“Oh, right,” Joseph clears his throat, putting on his professional face as best he can, “Not as badly as I first thought. It was only a nine millimetre round - “only” being Petra's choice of wording – so the real danger was the poison. Fortunately, Titania was able to clear that up before any serious tissue damage set in. Not the worst poison she's ever dealt with, apparently.”
>>
>>44444327

Sounds like there's history there as well, you remark, but then Petra returns, knocking lightly at the door.

“She's safe,” the redhead murmurs, “She wasn't leaving the palace – found her way to one of the classy rooms. I think she's, ah, looking for some comfort, yes? I think she will not be leaving for a while, and the guards will let me know when they see her leave.”

Comfort, you ask, she was looking for a comfortable bed?

“Ah,” Petra coughs lightly, “Yes. We shall leave it at that, yes. A comfortable bed.”

Well, she didn't have to go so far, you think aloud, looking at the other beds around you. It looks like they brought you to one of the communal bunks, where less illustrious visitors are deposited. Still, if Cassandra's off taking a nap somewhere, she won't be going anywhere in a hurry.

“Yes,” Petra trades a glance with Joseph, who offers a tiny shrug, “A nap. So, what is the plan?”

The plan?

“I believe I should be the one ordering bed rest,” Petra jokes, “But perhaps time is not on our side? You can walk, and you can summon demons. Cernunnos is ready to leave tomorrow – if you wish to do so. Time enough for your demons to recover, they tell me.”

>Right. I'd better get some rest then
>I want to talk with Scathach first. See what she can do with that hand
>I want to check in with Cassandra
>There was something I wanted to do first... (Write in)
>>
>>44444445
>I want to talk with Scathach first. See what she can do with that hand
Then, yeah
> I'd better get some rest
>>
>>44444445
You almost had the 4s get. Probably for the best.
>>
>>44444445
>>I want to talk with Scathach first. See what she can do with that hand
As much as it would amuse me to box block Cass it might end up with her trying to kill us.
>>
>>44444507
>>44444567

You'd like to talk with Scathach first, you tell Petra, and see if there's anything she can do with that stupid severed hand.

...Where is it, anyway?

“Ah,” Petra hesitates, looking down at her feet, “It SHOULD be here, yes? Right where I dropped, ah, left it.”

An awkward silence descends, soon broken as Joseph rushes from the room. Once he's out of sight, you hear a faint stamping sound, and then he returns, the squirming hand held tightly in outstretched arms. “Little bastard tried to run away,” he remarks, sourly, “I won't lie, getting the chance to stamp on the stupid thing has been the highlight of my day.”

Okay then, you reply with admirable calmness, straining painfully to get out of bed. Your body feels stiff, but you can walk without pain or inconvenience. Still, Petra hovers close by as you walk down to the archives, as if she's expecting you to keel over or faint at any minute. Despite her concern, you reach your objective without harm – and Scathach is there to greet you with a hungry enthusiasm in her eyes.

“Such a specimen!” she coos, taking the hand from you before you even have the chance to offer it to her, “Mastema, the black winged angel, and this is his hand? I'm impressed, very impressed...” Holding it close to her chest – you can't help but notice the fingers waving as if pleading for help – Scathach looks... quite taken with the scrap of flesh. “You always bring me such nice things!”

That's great and all, but...

“Yes, of course,” Scathach strokes the hand in a particularly unsettling way, “I can make something to assist you. Ah, but what could it be? Something to protect against holy light, I don't doubt, or perhaps... Hmm...”

>Something to protect against light
>Go with the mystery box
>Keep the hand, for now
>>
>>44444445
>>I want to talk with Scathach first. See what she can do with that hand
>>
>>44444797
>Another object that nullifies mind effecting powers, especially Mastema's.

A gift for Cass. I know we'll lose out on a possible neat object but I feel this is important.
>>
>>44444797
>>44444851
Can we do this? If not, go with the mystery box. Always bet on the box.
>>
>>44444905
>Can we do this?

>I don't see why not. Call it a custom job.
>>
File: Scathach.png (203 KB, 323x426) Image search: [Google]
Scathach.png
203 KB, 323x426
>>44444905
>>44444851

Is there, by any chance, any way she can make something that would protect against Mastema's mental attacks? You ask this slowly, carefully, as Scathach turns the hand over, watching it struggle to right itself upon her desk. There's something of a macabre fascination in watching it reduced to such a powerless state, compared with the terrifying divine power Mastema once wielded. Now, it can't even fumble itself upright.

“A mental shield?” Scathach muses aloud, “Yes, I suppose such a thing could be possible. I might need a moment longer than normal, to draw up the plans and work out a formula – boring stuff, really, you wouldn't be interested – but it could be done. Is that really what you desire?”

It is, you confirm, but it isn't for you. It's a gift for Cassandra – something to keep her safe, out there.

“Is it, now?” Scathach sounds amused, “Ah, but I thought you were enemies, striving to fight for different teams. No, it's complicated – I shan't pry. I'll just get to work then, shall I?”

You would appreciate it, you tell her, with a weary smile. Without another word, Scathach waves you away and you depart, wandering off down the aisles to pick out a book. It would be nice, you decide, to sit down and read something as you wait. It doesn't matter what – the sheer novelty of getting lost in some alien text would be enough to keep you satisfied for a long time, even through countless language barriers.

In the end, you find a heavy collection of woodcuts, your eye drawn inexplicably to the spine. Taking the bound collection, you place it atop a desk and heave it open, losing yourself in the arcane images.
>>
>>44445191

After an unknown length of time – even if you had a working clock, you were so hypnotised by what you were looking at that time had become meaningless – a polite cough gets your attention. Petra, leaning against one of the shelves, nods back towards where Scathach had been working. How long, you wonder, had Petra been there?

Sighing, you take one last look at the double page. One half depicts a man, a human perhaps, clutching his head in pain while the opposite half displays the same man, but with a stag skull for a head. A transformation, you guess, thinking back to Scathach's esoteric theories about divinity and... all that stuff. Probably one she's read – or rather, looked at the pictures – countless times already. Still, you slip it under your arm as you stagger down the row of shelves, tracing your steps back to her favourite desk.

When you arrive, there is a ring of blackened bone sitting atop one of the books. Something about it has the kind of noxious aura that could mean only Mastema.

“Quite the book you've got there,” Scathach remarks, “Here. This ring should block out any divine attempts at mental tampering. I can't guarantee that it would work on infernal sources, but it might hinder the effects somewhat. Who can say, with such untested procedures? Ah, but being at the forefront of science is a true delight, is it not?”

>Take the ring and go to find Cassandra. Return the book, as well
>Show Scathach the book
>Ask Scathach something else, while you're here
>Other
>>
>>44445256
>Show Scathach the book
Just have Cass see us before she leaves. She's uh busy right now.
>>
>>44445256
>>Show Scathach the book
Do we get a reward for finding it?
>>
>>44445256
>>Show Scathach the book
>>Ask Scathach something else, while you're here
Could you tell from the hand whether Mastema is specifically weak or strong against anything? A knife does the trick, but the more I know the better.
>>
>>44445465
>>44445367
>>44445322

Mumbling a vague agreement to Scathach – you're sure that Marco could be more enthusiastic about it, but you're not quite in the right frame of mind – you place the collection of woodcuts down on the only clear spot on the desk. You found this, you tell Scathach, and thought she might like to see it.

“Indeed?” Scathach sounds amused, “I've read every book in this place that even slightly relates to my goals, so...” she stops here, running a gloved hand down the side of the bindings. “Ah, you clever girl – this isn't a book, is it? My little assistants were supposed to bring me books, they must have overlooked this!”

So, you ask as she hungrily begins to scan the carvings, is there a reward for finding it?

“Ask later,” Scathach grunts, treating you to only the barest fraction of her attention now that she has new research materials to peruse, “This might be nothing – in that case, you get nothing. If it turns out to be important, I'll have to see what I can find. This may take some time...” Her voice peters off briefly, and then she looks up with bright, excited eyes. “Are you still here? Go on, I'm busy – go and do something fun!”

One question, you ask hastily, before you leave. Could she tell if Mastema had any weaknesses, from when she was studying his hand?

“Hmm,” Scathach taps the ring with one of her long, graceful fingers, “Fire blackened his bones, more so than one would expect at least, and electricity left some of the most beautiful burns I've ever seen on his flesh. Of course, that all requires a particularly strong flame or bolt – he's quite formidable, you know.”

Yeah. You know. Fire and lightning, then, you mutter under your breath.

“And don't shoot at him,” Scathach adds a moment later, “You didn't shoot at him, did you?”

...Maybe?

“Don't,” Scathach scolds, before waving you away.
>>
>>44445597
>Fire and lightning
Wow. We made good calls with our demons, just couldn't really hit him with em.

Need moar debuffs.
>>
>>44445597

You'll need to leave this ring, you say to Petra as you're striding down the palace corridor, with Cassandra. You'd like to give it to her personally, but she's probably fast asleep right now.

“Asleep, yes,” Petra agrees, choking back an uncertain chuckle, “Ah, I can leave it with one of the guards. There were many, stationed about – how the other half lives, yes? The minute she leaves, they will descend and give it to her. Of course, they cannot force her to wear it.” Petra offers a rueful smile at that, one that quickly loses some of its optimism. “And perhaps they will gamble it away. I shall shout at Elliot in advance, then, so he is not up to any tricks, yes?”

Ah yes, you smile, Elliot and his crooked games of cards. Of course, he'd probably resent you calling them crooked – he wasn't cheating, so much, as letting the fairies lose – but that's just splitting hairs. Handing the ring over to Petra, you wish her luck with choosing a reliable guard.

“I shall ask them to take a message,” the redhead confirms, “I hope Cassandra will see sense. She is smart, yes, but naïve. Even now, still. Are you heading back, to rest up for tomorrow?”

>That's right. I'm done for today
>I've got a few things to take care of, first (Write in)
>>
>>44445692
>>That's right. I'm done for today
>>
>>44445692
>>That's right. I'm done for today
Yeah. Can't think of anything else to do.
>>
>>44445692
>That's right. I'm done for today

Err, would rather give it to her personally to make sure she puts it on, but I guess it can't be helped.

Hmm write a little note to go with the ring.

'Make sure the choices you make out there are your own and take everything that asshole says with a grain of salt. Stay safe.

PS: He is weak to fire and Lightning ;)'
>>
File: Titania.jpg (60 KB, 602x755) Image search: [Google]
Titania.jpg
60 KB, 602x755
>>44445808
>>44445780
>>44445751

That's right, you yawn, you're done for today. You're looking forwards to a nice relaxing sleep, and you can handle whatever you need to do tomorrow with a clear head. Tomorrow, now you think about it, might not even be the right word - “later today” might be more appropriate, in as much as “days” exist in this twisted demon world. Time is measured by the movement of the moon, and whatever weak light pierces through the layer of clouds – what a depressing reality to live in.

One last thing, you tell Petra before she leaves. Taking a notepad from your pocket – always carry paper and pen, even in the digital age, Marco always told you – you scrawl out a quick note to Cassandra. It's a simple thing, one that urges her to make her own choices in the days ahead – and to make sure that they ARE her own. As an afterthought, you scrawl in at the bottom that Mastema is weak to fire and lightning, just to give Cassandra as much information as possible.

“A nice touch,” Petra decides, giving you an approving nod, “I hope she will take your advice, yes?”

Cassandra will make the right decision, you assure Petra, when the time comes. You're sure about that – or, at least, as sure as you can be about anything these days. But you don't want to get into a tortured discussion about loyalty and betrayal now – you just want to get some sleep.

One long night of undisturbed sleep, you murmur to yourself as you split off from Petra, slinking back to your borrowed bed, that's all you're asking for. Stripping out of your heavier bits of clothing – the damn corset in particular – you slide into bed and sigh, letting your fatigue carry you off into a deep sleep.

You wake, not long after, to the sensation of someone brushing hair away from your face. Your eyes widen with shock, but Titania, sitting on the side of your bed, presses a finger to her lips.
>>
>>44445972

“This takes me back,” she says, with a kind of gentle whimsy, “Ah, I used to do this all the time. You look just like her, you know, give or take a few years.”

Look like... who? She's done this before?

“Amelia, of course,” Titania smiles – she actually smiles! - as she says the name, “I suppose you humans would call her my step-daughter, after everything that happened. I did enjoy our little late night talks, although I think she was less fond of them. She even had a demon standing guard, after a while – can you imagine?”

You'll have to remember to set a guard as well, you remark, thinking bitterly of the sleep you could be getting right now.

“So cold!” Titania laughs quietly, the noise barely carrying, “I just wanted to ask you something. I believe there is a divine fragment in this new forest – it is vital that you recover it. Everything else – Cernunnos included – is considered expendable.”

Now who's being cold?

>I'm not giving the fragment to you
>Why is it so important?
>I was planning on taking it. Don't worry about that
>Am I expendable as well?
>Other
>>
>>44445999
>I was planning on taking it. Don't worry about that
But
>I'm not giving the fragment to you by f that's what you are asking.

And after that verbal sparring
>Wait did you say step daughter? You're God's step mom?

Cause that's hilarious.
>>
>>44446060
>by f
if*

Damn phone
>>
>>44445999
>>Why is it so important?
>>I was planning on taking it. Don't worry about that
I've missed Titania's old tricks.
>>
>>44445999
Also thank her for healing us. And for letting us stay.
>>
>>44446222
>>44446113
>>44446060

You were planning, you tell her cautiously, on taking it anyway – she needn't worry about that. However, you were NOT planning on handing the fragment over to her afterwards, if that's what she was getting at.

“Oh no,” Titania shakes her head graciously, “I had no such intentions in mind for it. Without meaning to sound too arrogant – a queen should always have humility – I have little need for a small scrap of divine power. What would I do with it, create a kingdom full of adoring subjects? I already have that here – and I built it through my own efforts, pulling just the right strings so that everything fell into place. If I could just... click my fingers and sit upon a gilded throne, what would be the fun in that?”

So, you ask slowly, what's so important about this fragment that she needs it removed from this forest? And why is she so keen on YOU getting it?

“Because it creates a rival,” the queen shrugs, “Another power vying for control of this world. It might make life more difficult for me and my kingdom, if left unchecked. A human, though, you cannot harness the power of the fragments without all five. And, or so I believe, your intentions lie outside this world. Mastery of the human world does not concern me, you see.”

Makes sense, you agree, but you do have one tiny question. Did she just tell you that she was God's step-mother?

“Oh, I'm sure Amelia wouldn't see it that way,” a sly smile crosses Titania's face, “But yes, her father and I became... involved, not long after her ascension. Ah, but it's a shame she can't come and visit. I would so love to see her face when I told her.”

Suddenly, you're very glad that Marco is all the way in the Hellfire Club.
>>
>>44446303

As Titania is rising to leave, you blurt out a quick comment. You'd just like to thank her, you tell the queen, for everything she's done for you. For healing your wounds and offering you a place to rest. You appreciate it, you tell her hastily, but can you ask why she did so?

“I enjoy having humans around again, after so long without them,” Titania muses, “You're all so wild and impulsive, even by the mercurial standards of the fair folk. It makes me feel like I've got children running around, children that aren't trying to kill me. Quite charming, as I'm sure I don't need to tell you.”

Uh...

“Get some rest,” she tells you, from the doorway, “You've got a big day tomorrow – dangerous too, I imagine.”

Rest, you mutter as she closes the door behind her, that's what you were trying to do. Amelia really had to put up with this? Still, you admit, it might have been sort of a little bit nice. Maybe. With that thought in mind, you drift back off into a deep – and fortunately dreamless – sleep. Like Titania said, tomorrow will be a big day.

>I think that's a convenient place to end things for tonight. Next thread on Friday, and I'll stick around for any questions!
>>
>>44446349
Thanks for the thread Moloch.

Even if it wasn't Joseph or Amelia I enjoyed the fight with Mastema. How bout you?

Speaking of, how is he doing right now?
>>
>>44446471

I was, honestly, not expecting people to pick the option to fight! That said, it was a good surprise - I has a lot of fun.

Mastema is currently seething, not only because of his wounds but because he might lose Cassandra over this. Not as planned!
>>
>>44446510
So what was the mystery box when it came to his hand?

I feel strongly that we made the right choice with the ring, but I am curious.
>>
>>44446560

The mystery box was a five shot revolver - each shot capable of banishing even the most powerful of devils!

That said, I agree that the ring was the smart option. Simple power isn't everything!
>>
>>44446611

Actually, I should add to that. The revolver couldn't be reloaded - you had five shots, and then it was useless.
>>
>>44446611
>That said, I agree that the ring was the smart option. Simple power isn't everything!

It reminded me of giving the Deathstone to Petra way back when.

So what happened after we passed out due to the poison?
>>
>>44446680
>So what happened after we passed out due to the poison?

Mastema warped away to lick his wounds, dropping everyone back out into the alley. It took some bickering, but Cassandra and Petra soon decided that Mia needed to get back to the fairy kingdom. Mia's injuries were pretty light, all things considered, but they still hurried.

Surprising, really, since Cassandra was so unwilling to go back because of her own injuries!
>>
>>44446725
Did she at least have Titania look at her before she left to find her boytoy and eventually leave? There's no reason to have those burns if you can help it.
>>
>>44446725
Did Mastema even bother talking with Petra when everyone was separated?
>>
>>44446756

She didn't have a choice - Titania did the old "lay on hands" trick while Cass and Petra were busy arguing. By the time Cass noticed, she was already taking the bandages off!

>>44446776

Not really! Petra ended up shouting at an empty room. Sad thing is, it was probably more worthwhile than any conversation they could have had!
>>
>>44446821
So I assume Gabby heard the entire situation. What does she think about Cass, Mastema, her brother's defection, and Law in general?
>>
>>44446891

In general, Gabriel would take Cassandra's side - building a better Law - but she doesn't trust Mastema enough to believe Cass has a chance. Good intentions, but doomed to failure.

The defectors are considered to be worse than devils - they've sold their faith, their loyalty and their "family". Gabriel is pretty easy going, in general, but she'd crush Uriel and Raphael in an instant if she could.
Mastema is a strange case. He IS on the side of Law, but he adheres to an older kind of Law. The Archangels don't quite understand him, and he looks down on them. Plus, he's got a pretty wide streak of self-interest going on.
>>
>>44446990
Cass's thoughts on recent events? Okay well maybe not the MOST recent event, I am pretty sure I know how that is going, but with Mastema and Mia?
>>
>>44447079

She's having doubts about Mastema, although she'd rather not admit it. She was also very worried about Mia - again, even if she tried not to show it. I think, even without a reason to keep her in the kingdom, she would have waited around to see if Mia recovered.

Considering that Mia could have given the ring to Petra or Joseph, giving it to Cass was quite a significant gesture. It made an impact!
>>
>>44447137
Choo Choo helping her state of mind a little?

I don't even think he knows what the hell is going on.

'Cass? I haven't seen you in a world's lifetime, what are yo-'

Then he gets dragged off to a room with no further prompting.
>>
>>44447212

Well, I imagine gave him a brief explanation of what's going on! Just, you know, not immediately.
Really though, simple human - or not, in this case - contact goes a long way to comforting people, Cass included. Everything looks better after a nice long night's sleep!
>>
>>44447296
So does Titania only care about her kingdom's safety and the external threats that might threaten it? The demon world can go crazy as long as her slice of it is A-okay?
>>
>>44447492
>>44447296
And what are her thoughts on how chaotic the world is right now with Law and Chaos effectively broken and Nyarly's game.
>>
>>44447492

Essentially, yes. Of course, an unstable world outside might increase the overall risk for her kingdom. Partially, it's pragmatism - she can't control the whole demon world, so she makes do with what she can control - but there is also the lack of desire.

Interestingly, Cassandra's take on Law would have a "live and let live" attitude towards the fairies. I wonder why?

>>44447526

She's not happy about it! Law and Chaos were, ultimately, easy to work around. The current situation is less easy to read, even without Nyarly pulling strings.
>>
>>44447584
Speaking of Law.

I imagine YHVH supplies so part of their power and are essentially his children, but do they really NEED him or do they just need some form of guidance, either the ability to make their own decisions (individualism like Gabby has kind of done) or some kind of leader?
>>
>>44447667

Although angels, Archangels included, can make their own decisions, it goes against their "programming" to do so. They can exist without YHVH, but they feel an instinctual urge to follow His guidance. Without it, they don't really flourish.

Without guidance, either their own will or that of a superior, lesser angels won't really do much at all.
>>
>>44447768
I assume Gabriel functions so well because she was frequently among the humans and "learned" to do so then? All to blend in in as the Great will commanded of course.
>>
>>44447768
With enough creation divine power could they be reprogrammed to follow someone else or not feel that urge at all if they were willing?

Like could a fully powered Amelia take all the merciful and kind angels and tweak them?

'You want to make this world a better place? Be my guest, but now you can do it on your own terms.'

>>44447859
That brings up another good point. Do angels and I suppose demons in general start to change their nature a little if they are around humans long enough?
>>
>>44447859

That's largely where she developed the willpower to do so, but all of the Archangels, in general, have the strength to function alone. They just tend to stick with Law because they LIKE it. They're kind of fascist that way!

>>44447896

I'm inclined to believe that the Great Will could change them back, but that raises the question of why he doesn't force them into perfect obedience from the start. So, perhaps, it is possible. Difficult though, as it might involve punching YHVH in his giant yellow face.

For the second point, demons in general will start to adapt to humanity. In particular, you see this with summoners and their contracted demons.
>>
>>44447950
Err fighting YHVH might be out of weight class. We aren't Aleph or Demifiend after all! All the protagonists in this quest would be in the regular joe tier of SMT powerlevels.

This train of thought was mostly to find some kind of compromise for Cass. We'll think of something.
>>
File: 1451320704804.jpg (460 KB, 992x2118) Image search: [Google]
1451320704804.jpg
460 KB, 992x2118
>>44448257
Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.