[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Japan consider full-blooded "demons" normal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 29
Why does Japan consider full-blooded "demons" normal enough to be main characters (which would be PCs in tabletop), while full-blooded demons are almost always NPC-only in Western tabletop?
>>
>>44442139
Wow son it's almost like something has different cultural connotations in two different cultures. Amazing!

Kill yourself.
>>
>>44442139
Probably because Japanese demons tend to be basically just humans with pointy ears or purple skin maybe, but western demons tend to be more like horrible monsters, as a generalization.
>>
Because they have an entirely separate history of mythology.
>>
>>44442139
Because yokai and mazoku generally do not outstrip everything else in terms of power because they exist.
They are monstrous because of look, culture, and how they relate to humanity, not because they exist on a different tier of power.
>>
Because it makes a character "more interesting" if they have some freaky blood lineage instead of having, you know, a personality.
>>
>>44442160
But youkai are generally stronger than humans anyway.
>>
>>44442432

Unless you throw beans at them.
>>
File: 1269004718222.jpg (615 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1269004718222.jpg
615 KB, 800x800
>>44442447
That's an oni thing.
>>
File: actually.jpg (20 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
actually.jpg
20 KB, 400x300
>>44442139
Because the fundament of their pop faith proposes that there is very little difference between men, gods and demons to begin with.

In fact, a "demon" normally is an ancestor spirit who's mad that it isn't being properly deified.
>>
>>44442139
Demon is a VERY vague term for them.
>>
>>44442454

And Oni are the only real "big strong" Yokai out there, the rest are just really clever.

How do you defeat a Tengu, anyway? I know the Oni thing, and Kitsune can be warded off with fried tofu and dogs.
>>
>>44442139
Different culture, different mythology. Just because the term can be translated to Demon doesn't mean it's like our demons.
>>
File: 1276176102400.jpg (392 KB, 1700x2500) Image search: [Google]
1276176102400.jpg
392 KB, 1700x2500
>>44442139
Because different cultures. In Japanes culture and mythology demons are just a different normal race, much like elves in western tabletops. They are basically nothing special.

In western RPGs demons are high tier monsters that are generally the embodiments of pure evil and destruction and seek to destroy and rule over mortals.

Heck in Japanese versions of western RPGs, generic western races like elf/dwarf are generally considered so much different from humans that they are actually their own class.
>>
File: 1448400078637.png (26 KB, 419x296) Image search: [Google]
1448400078637.png
26 KB, 419x296
>>44442488

>Dogs
>>
>>44442139
tl note : ashumaru translates to semen demon
>>
>>44442139
Same reason D&D lets you play elves and dwarves. We hear about the scary stories of the top .01% of their kind, when most are just humans with extra bits tacked on and a statblock designed for specialization instead of flexibility.
>>
>>44442530
>>
File: next_BBEG.jpg (433 KB, 1200x1737) Image search: [Google]
next_BBEG.jpg
433 KB, 1200x1737
>>44442139

I have no idea
>>
>>44442488
>How do you defeat a Tengu, anyway?

Tengu getting tricked is a staple of Japanese folklore.

They are not clever people.
>>
>>44442139
Because instead of learning their words for things, people who first got into Nipper mythology decided to use western translations without considering whether or not the word actually fit.

It kind of worked with Oni and Ogre, so they kept doing that with a few things and just lumped about a billion different kinds of spirit they couldn't find suitable parallels for into the "demon" category with no regard for the details.
>>
>>44442488
>How do you defeat a Tengu, anyway?

A strong adherence to Buddhist faith and a bit of sutra chanting tends to do the trick. Otherwise simply not falling for their tricks seems like it tend sot give you an edge, to the point where occasionally that alone can cause physical harm at times. Don't try matching one in open combat.
>>
File: 1424652322004.png (610 KB, 646x904) Image search: [Google]
1424652322004.png
610 KB, 646x904
>>44442564
>>
>>44442139
An answer I really liked that one anon gave, so many years ago, was that Japan basically treats demons as elves.
>>
File: owari no seraph14.png (881 KB, 1000x939) Image search: [Google]
owari no seraph14.png
881 KB, 1000x939
Why is there no traditional game that will let me roleplay the forbiddence romance between a vampire and demon who are blood related?
>>
>>44442139
She's pretty cute; got any more pictures of her?
>>
>>44442661
Is that a thing in that series?
Are they both girls?
Whst the fuck is going on?
>>
>>44442139
Different views on what demons are. A demon in western mythology usually means a malevolent spirit that is not human. As you go farther east, the "malevolent" bit kind of starts to disappear, to where it just usually means a spiritual being that is not human.
>>
File: Renaissance ISHYGDDT.jpg (546 KB, 2536x3087) Image search: [Google]
Renaissance ISHYGDDT.jpg
546 KB, 2536x3087
>>44442512
>generic western races like elf/dwarf are generally considered so much different from humans that they are actually their own class.
This is not exactly unusual in western RPGs, either.
>>
>>44442661
Pretty sure legs and feet don't work like that.
>>
>>44442683
>She
>>
File: 1412818018845.jpg (47 KB, 416x398) Image search: [Google]
1412818018845.jpg
47 KB, 416x398
>>44442694
>Are they both girls?
>>
>>44442792
>implying
>>
>>44442512
>>44442743
A big part of that with japanese rpgs is that ad&d struggled to get a proper translation while basic d&d was much, much more popular than other forms of d&d out there.
So you end up with a different influence on design when it comes to western style fantasy games.
>>
>>44442447
Or by making them bow before they get a chance to yank your soul out through your ass.
>>
>>44443207

I thought the ass thing were kappa.
>>
>>44443227
I'm pretty sure 90% of japanese demons have something weird relating to butts or dicks.
>>
>>44443227
That's my point. Any yokai that's physically stronger than humans typically has some built-in, cheesy as fuck weakpoint. The only truly unstoppable ones are stupid shit like a big smelly foot that demands go be washed or some dude with an eyeball rammed up his ass that feeds on your embarrassment from being greeted by a goatse eye.

I guess there's always the giant invisible skeletons that attempt to eat human flesh but I think even they are stopped by something simple.
>>
>>44442661
Monsterhearts
>>
>>44443269
Feeding them peasants until they go away.
>>
>>44442461
Meanwhile western assumes that man and divine are wholly divorced
>>
>>44443269
>I guess there's always the giant invisible skeletons that attempt to eat human flesh but I think even they are stopped by something simple.

Best part about those things? The telltale sign that one is close by is a ringing in the ears.

Also the only way to really ward one off are Shinto charms.
>>
>>44443269
Gashadokuro can potentially be warded off my certain charms, but as they're both invisible and invulnerable they just keep eating people until the hateboner from being made of a mass of hungry ghosts who died without a proper burial from war or famine wears off and they disappear.
>>
>>44443363
I.E: never

those are broken as hell on paper
>>
>>44443359
>ringing in the ears

MY GOD THEIR MUST BE THOUSANDS LIVING IN MY HOUSE AND FOLLOWING ME AT ALL TIMES!
>>
>>44443400
Gachi, gachi.
>>
>>44442139
Demons in Japan are youkai. They're like a separate race of creatures. Think of them as elves, fae, etc.

Japanese mythology tends to be a bit more grounded than western mythology because of the animism background making the divine close to the mundane. It doesn't take much to be a kami in Japan. But it takes a whole lot to be a God in Europe.

Japanese demons might be OP as fuck in relation to humans, but they have limits.

Western demons on the other hand are fallen angels. They're emanations of the divine monad Sky Daddy that went bad and rebelled.

Look at the demons in the Ars Goetia. Those were the shrimps Solomon got to build his temple and they're horrendously more powerful than any Japanese demon you'll see. Just check out Dantalion.
>>
Japanese 'demons' are not demons, it's a translation problem.
>>
>>44443443
and I guarantee if you ever see them in anime they are all little girls
>>
>>44443443
>>44443449
Would Djinn be a better word?
>>
>>44443458
thats curously normal
check the original siren mith, compare with the current one, over the time it got more humane, nicerr you could say, and it wanst a disney got it thing
they just made it popular
>>
>>44443359
>The telltale sign that one is close by is a ringing in the ears.
I thought it was by the RATTLE RATTLE they make.
>>
>>44443468
I think youkai is a better word.
>>
>>44442166

lol you mean like how western demons are always hur hur evil must kill everyone one dimensional edgelords?

I agree with that. Japan portrayals are far better in comparison since they have agendas and goals than muh kill all humans
>>
>>44443536
Pretty much every animist and polytheist religion's mythos is gonna be more interesting than that of a monotheistic religion's. Monotheism is a boring oversimplification which exists only to justify a group's desire for political expansion.
>>
>>44443567
Said someone who has read anything about Theology.
>>
>>44443468
In Islam they're often conflated with fallen angels anyway.

Whether or not Iblis is a Jinn or a Devil is one of the many contradictions in the Quran.

>>44443468
>>44443529

>>44443536
>Are always hur hur evil must kill everyone
The Romantics gave them a huge injection of pathos and humanity more than a hundred years ago. Go read some Blake and Shelly. You also have stuff like Thelema and Satanism.

Even the lame Dad religions of the Western tradition give devils more of an agenda than you're attributing them. Look at Iblis in the Quran. Or those two angel twins that made a bet with Allah that they could live like humans and not sin and lost.

>>44443567
Generally yes.

But you need to look at the different takes on monotheism beyond the primary sources. Things get very, very fun when you bring occult sources into it.
>>
>>44443529
>>44443468

Honestly elf might be the best analog, or fairy.

But Youkai is the best word to use. You aren't going to catch the kind of wide spread animism free for all without using the word.
>>
>>44442802
Trick question. I don't care if Ashuramaru has a dong, I'd hit it.
>>
>>44443468
They're probably closest to fae
>>
>>44443536
In 80 perent of Youkai folklore they're just assholes that want to harm people.

Sometimes they're actual assholes.
>>
>>44443596
>Or those two angel twins that made a bet with Allah that they could live like humans and not sin and lost.

what?
>>
>>44443662
Harut and Marut
>>
>>44443662
>>44443674
From wiki:

The angels [who, in Islamic theology, do not possess free will and cannot sin][3] had become astonished at the acts of disobedience committed by the human beings on earth. They began to curse the humans, and could not understand how they could be so sinful. Allah informed the angels that they would have also sinned if they were in the position of human beings. So the angels elected Harut and Marut from amongst themselves and God gave them human attributes and sent them to earth after commanding them to avoid wine, idolatry, fornication and murder. Harut and Marut eventually succumbed to their human lusts and fell into all of these sins. Consequently, God punished them for their transgressions
>>
Japan considers full blood Demons as NPC. Inbreeds is a different matter entirely.
>>
>>44443596
As I understand by the time of the new testiment it was no longer simply trying to turn history into myth but an attempt at a philosophical work on how to be a better person and treating others with empathy, selflessness seemed to be a foreign concept to western myth and faith for quite a long time
>>
>>44443713
So does that make Inuasha a Tiefling?
>>
>>44443707
I can understand avoiding murder, idolatry and even wine to a degree, but you cant command a being imbued with human instincts to not fornicate
>>
>>44443707
>chief gods are always asshole
every fucking time
>>
>>44443745
Does Tiefling even allow greater Feats and Advantages to be inherited from their blood line?
From what I remember from Planescape, Theiflings are so watered out they barely can use raw Outsider powers.
>>
>>44443745
He's obviously a half-elf.
>>
>>44443764
Just think of poor Harut and Marut. A normal human grows into their sex drive. These poor angels went from selfless purity to sex drive in seconds.

And of course it isn't enough that they're utterly humiliated in front of their peers and their creator (who they can't help but love) but they get punished further.

>>44443778
In the Quran the rocks and trees were offered the position of humanity by Allah.

They declined.

There's a reason the Abrahamic religions all evolved esoteric traditions that "read further" in the texts like gnosticism.

When you actually read the texts its hard not to start to read between the lines.
>>
>>44443458
Nope. As Gundams.
>>
>>44443778
this is the one time I agree with it, its basically put up or shut up and the angels couldnt do what they said. also murder.
>>
>>44443850
>Suddenly slammed with human.exe in seconds without even having a real frame of reference to know what it's like.

>Fair
>>
>>44443745
More important question, is Shippo a Kender?
>>
>>44443890
No.

Nothing is kender but a kender.

They are a singular monstrosity.
>>
>>44443876
>murder
>>
>>44443933
>The first thing he does when introduced to the party is try and steal the magical mcguffin
>Always tries to stir shit up with the heavy-hitter min-maxed barbarian
>Never does anything in fights because 'B-but I'm just a kid'
At least we can agree he's a That Guy, right?
>>
>>44443839
>The angels [who, in Islamic theology, do not possess free will and cannot sin][3] had become astonished at the acts of disobedience committed by the human beings on earth. They began to curse the humans, and could not understand how they could be so sinful. Allah informed the angels that they would have also sinned if they were in the position of human beings. So the angels elected Harut and Marut from amongst themselves and God gave them human attributes and sent them to earth after commanding them to avoid wine, idolatry, fornication and murder. Harut and Marut eventually succumbed to their human lusts and fell into all of these sins. Consequently, God punished them for their transgressions

This makes no sense within it's own context.
>>
>>44443841
>not as little girl gundams
>>
>>44444060
>Abrahamic text contradicting itself

Oh boy, you have no idea.

Just try asking your Muslim friend over whether or not Jinns are Demons and whether Allah made humanity or the Earth first. Fun times!
>>
>>44443950
Even so, things like anger and jealousy weren't concepts to them until a second ago.

Normal humans have a period of growing up and adjusting to emotions. These guys didn't have that.

>>44444048
He is totally That Guy.

But Kender are on an entirely different level.
>>
The real question is, why are the eastern tradition's Youkai depicted as being so much less shitty compared to western tradition's Fae?
>>
>>44444118
That doesn't work considering they were clearly displaying those vary same emotions as entities without free will before gaining human attributes.
>>
>>44444137

because western writers cannot into human relationships?

all of which is always devolve into city high school tier angst and drama, worse than any japanese anime?
>>
File: dont awoo 350 penalty.jpg (42 KB, 600x742) Image search: [Google]
dont awoo 350 penalty.jpg
42 KB, 600x742
>>44442564
>>
>>44444137
I can see you haven't read many stories about the fae. Remember the Child Ballads about Thomas the Rhymer. Fae live off the path seperate from hell and heaven. They are as "good" or "evil" as humanity.

Read some stories about loyal fairy wives.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/wfb/wfb15.htm

And Youkai fuck up people all the damn time, what are you talking about? Read up on some kitsune, oni, and tengu. They aren't exactly completely benevolent.

>>44444175
I would love to hear what writers you're talking about.
>>
>>44444174
It's complicated and contradictory. They're displaying human like emotions before having human like emotions. Perhaps the writers intended for it to be a matter of degrees? That while angels experience analogs to human emotions its always at a lesser degree.

You also have Iblis, who managed to rebel because....reasons.

Allah will do what he will (which means expect contradictions in the text)
>>
>>44444270
Anon, Fae are almost universally fucking evil beyond any measure human comprehension. The least shitty Fae I know of weren't even Fae, they were the cultural equivalents in the Slavic tradition, and even then, they were shitty fairly often.

Youkai, more often then not, terrorize to incite fear, often because they are simply compelled to as an attribute of their existence.

Fae cause problems out of selfish reasons, because they are fucking shitty as all hell.
>>
>>44444314
>allah is a dick
>god is a dick
why are we trying to crusade each other out of existence when both gods are just as bad?

inb4 atleast they aint greek gods
>>
>>44444416
So you're just going to ignore what I cited? Are you going to say the Child Ballads were "Slavic tradition"?

"Simply compelled to as an attribute of their existence" is a dodgy way of saying that they're wicked to the bone.

And how does eating people tie into "they just do it to incite fear and terror".

Level with me anon, are you trolling?
>>
>>44444581
You do realize that those two are literally (differing interpretations of) the same deity, right?
>>
>>44444628
yeah
still surpised that in atleast 1000 hear noone really caught that
>>
>>44444628
Nuh uh, cuz allah is allah and god is yhwh.
>>
>>44444581
Greek gods are only dicks if you count up all the stories they're in as "canon". But you have to remember polytheists were cool with heterodoxy. You could have one Greek believe Zeus did this. You could have another believe Zeus did that. They were cool with mutually exclusive interpretations.

Monotheism tries to consolidate all the legends and stories of its culture into one true narrative that you have to believe in totally or else. Thus you end up with stories of the One True God being both gentle and cruel, sane and insane.

Abrahamic Gods thus end up being bipolar as fuck.

>>44444658
They were all just Baals that ate the other Baals of the region culturally until they were the one and only Baal.
>>
>>44444593
Compulsion implies not 'wicked to the bone', it implies, 'I am simply acting the only way I am capable of acting because I was born a literal wall of flesh'. It means it's not an act of free will and fowl-intent, but something that can't be helped.
>>
>>44442139
>demons

Its because using the word demon here is a translation error. Youkai are more along the lines of the European fairies than cosmological embodiments of evil.
>>
>>44444815
Actually, demons of the western sort are still fairly more common than in the west.
>>
>>44444254
Huh. The penalty for that's gone up
>>
File: teifling roll chart.png (2 MB, 1558x2034) Image search: [Google]
teifling roll chart.png
2 MB, 1558x2034
>>44443810

Depends on the Tiefling, as Planescape wasn't the only version of them in D&D. 4e Teiflings had feats and advantages inherited, but they were close to a seperate race than mere half-demons.
>>
>44444416
> Fae
Stop. You're talking about fairies.

Which also covers a huge variety of folkloric creatures, even when you exclude the 'scandinavian tradition'. But for every flesh eating horse and murderous marshlight there are helpful elves that make your shoes or seal women to be your wife.
>>
>>44443468
Just call them fae for fuck's sake.
>>
>>44444897
It's because you keep fucking doing it.
>>
>>44442139
Because most of the time they aren't like western demons but more like elves.
>>
>>44445957
Don't call anything fae it's a bullshit neologism
>>
>>44442432
>>44442454

Whoever came up with the large sexy drunk woman Oni is an Elightened Saint.
>>
>>44442432
No, youkai are stronger than NPCs and Mooks, compared to a 16 year old swordsman with "fiery spirit", they just don't cut the mustard.
>>
File: 1363593384996.jpg (30 KB, 210x280) Image search: [Google]
1363593384996.jpg
30 KB, 210x280
>>44446661
>Young hot-blooded shonen protagonist
FUCK
I KNEW WE FORGOT SOMETHING
>>
>>44446263
Wasn't Morgana of the Fey?
>>
Japan is less influenced by Christian mythology. Even to a non-religious westerner, a demon not being an absolutely evil inhuman monster is a strange idea because they come from a background of 2000 years of Christian teachings, and Christians teach that demons are absolutely evil inhuman monsters.

Japan, well for a long time they have simultaneously had different religions. They take specific religions much less seriously compared to the West. So they create more liberal interpretations of mythological creatures, like demons.
>>
>>44446406
With a horn. The horn is important
>>
>>44447314
of course, as well as the single sharp tooth and slightly below average intellect.
>>
>>44447827
Dat fang isn't necessary, but the simply straightforward mindset is a thing of wonders
>>
>>44447900
/t/g We'll fap to anything that has a pair of tits, and a dick
>>
>>44447963
Fuck off /d/, no one likes you. That statement isn't even relevant to the discussion at hand
>>
>>44443567
>implying
The Bible alone is chock full of interesting things.
>>
That's not a demon in OP's pic. That's a prepubescent child with weird hair/ears/eyes that has the demon label slapped onto it so you can dehumanize it in your mind so your scat-necrophilia porn can come true.
>>
File: 1448410705545.png (773 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448410705545.png
773 KB, 1000x1000
Are Kitsune the most well-mannered Youkai in Japanese mythology?

In fact, what are some habits of theirs that isn't brought up often? How do Kitsune fit into myth, not anime?
>>
>>44448222
Being waifus
>>
>>44448222
Kitsune are habitual thieves, liars, and regularly commit breaking and entry. Then they run off even if you accept that your bride is a lying ass fox.

Kappas are probably the most well mannered, seeing as the best way to defeat them is to weaponize good manners.
>>
>>44448284

Anon, it's worth mentioning the most famous Kitsune of them all, Tamamo-no-Mae, turned an Emperor into a tyrant, slaughtered thousands, moved to Japan, almost killed the Emperor, then fled into the countryside to become a poison-spewing stone of raw hate.
>>
>>44448295
>Kitsune are habitual thieves, liars, and regularly commit breaking and entry.

Being a deceptive little shit is a hell of a lot better than the casual murder committed by other Youkai.

Besides, Kitsune are known to be selective on who they steal and thief towards, they usually target those who "deserve" it or at least limit their thievery to "anyone but my husband."
>>
>>44448295

That always made me chuckle. Being menaced by flesh-eating turtle beasts? Introduce yourself politely and bow, they'll bow and the water will flow out of their heads, rendering them harmless.
>>
>>44448222
as long as you dont get the korean ones, those will eat your liver
>>
File: 1372881800054.png (108 KB, 655x342) Image search: [Google]
1372881800054.png
108 KB, 655x342
Fuck crows.
>>
>>44448489
They also love sumo IIRC. Hence why it's customary to bow before a sumo match.
>>
File: 1423692611219.jpg (126 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1423692611219.jpg
126 KB, 600x900
>>44448602
>>
>>44442139
"Demon" is a translation. They're not demons the way you and I understand the word demon from a western sense.
>>
>>44448402
I want one.
>>
>>44444628
Not really.

Or, rather, Islam claims to worship the same God as Jews and Christians, but there are some irreconcilable differences that get ignored a lot. Jews are still waiting for the Messiah, Christians believe He already came and was both fully human and fully divine (it's complicated, but the idea is that He serves as a bridge to humanity), whereas Muslims reject all of that and insist that Allah loves traditional Arab culture and hates Jews and Christians (the People of the Book thing is contradicted repeatedly).
>>
>>44444658
Unless you're a Arabic Jew or Christian, in which case god is Allah.
>>
>>44449107
so this comes down to them saying "I'm right because I said so"
>>
>>44449465

When you think about it, when has that never worked for Islam?
>>
>>44448334
Isn't it implied that she was slandered in some versions of her story?
>>
>>44449623
the only reason it works right now is because the radical assholes have an entire nation of living shields to hide behind
>>
>>44449643
pretty much sums up the entire religion since its inception
>>
>>44449643

Don't you mean an entire continent? Last I checked Europe was trying their hardest to protect these people.

They are, after all, the future of Europe.
>>
>>44449680
ohh that cuts deep, the trouble is how impossible they make it to sort out the actually killers from the people trying to get away from them
>>
>>44449931
Closed borders seems likely in the future
>>
>>44444991
fairies are a kind of fae
>>
>>44442661
>Blood related

Wait what?

Goddammit I didn't come here for spoilers!
>>
>>44442139
Because an actual demon would require Japan to draw something other than one face and give up their generic anime dartboard "personalities" aka weeb permavirgin pandering.
>>
>>44451885
>anon talks about something he knows nothing about
>>
>>44451948
>Fannyflustered permavirgin weeb can't refute the reality of his faggotry and instead chooses to remain ignorant and project

Whatever helps you sleep at night.
>>
>>44451088
>Closed borders seems likely in the future

Until Merkel decides to back her threats with military force.
>>
>>44442571
>literal semen demon
>>
>>44452050
You're really upset over nothing. You should try chilling out.
>>
>>44452196
>Weebfilth being spilled all over /tg/
>Upset over nothing

Just go back to your cancer containment boards. You should try that.
>>
Shitflinging by the buttmad aside, since the Japanese analogue for fairies appears to be the youkai, do they have analogues for western demons and angels? Or was there never a need to describe such potent mythological beings?
>>
>>44452328
>do they have analogues for western demons
Youkai
>and angels
Also youkai

Sometimes them niggas served dragons and kami, sometimes they sought to spread ruin and despair, sometimes they just wanted you to wash their smelly goddamn foot
>>
>>44452420
Ah okay so it's more of a catch-all term like fairy would have been before the spread of Christianity to Europe. Pretty cool nonetheless, fascinating to read up about this from other cultures.
>>
>>44452328
Youkai is just a general name for supernatural beings.
>>
File: 1342750987322.jpg (222 KB, 600x811) Image search: [Google]
1342750987322.jpg
222 KB, 600x811
>>44452253
>>
File: 1447034223765.png (197 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1447034223765.png
197 KB, 400x462
>>44452253
>on 4chan
>complaining about weeaboos
>>
>>44447023
She was a fay certainly. Because Morte D'Arthur was written by and for a norman aristocracy who dressed up their english with the odd french word, like saying fay (fée) instead of fairy.

However I wouldn't say she was fey, although plenty of knights that crossed her may have been, on account of that's a whole different word with it's own etymology (meaning doomed, with connotations of enchanted and/or reckless). I'll grant you that the two tend to get confused to the point that their definitions bleed into each other and it might be acceptable to use fey as an alternate spelling of fay, but I'll never countenance twee affectations like fae.

(Faerie, though, is a perfectly legitimate term for the realm, power or field of study that fairies are the subjects of)
>>
>>44452517
I love how you retards still post that poorly formulated crap.

You do realize the majority of boards and activity aren't from topics related to weebshit, right?
>>
File: it sounds better in elvish.png (209 KB, 819x412) Image search: [Google]
it sounds better in elvish.png
209 KB, 819x412
>>44452670
>>
File: No Anon, you are the weeaboos.png (126 KB, 600x811) Image search: [Google]
No Anon, you are the weeaboos.png
126 KB, 600x811
>>44451885
>>44452050
>>44452253
And then anon was a faggot.
>>
>>44452125
>Germany invading other nations to prevent ethnic and national purity

It's Bizarro-Nazi Germany
>>
>>44452670
Point remains, this place was made by a weeaboo, for other weeaboos. The weebs were here first, so don't bitch about their social norms that were most likely here long before you showed up.
>>
>>44453077
>Implying any of the oldfags really stay around anymore
>Implying time matters when board origin has no bearing on the current state of the website
>Implying my point still doesn't remain that the majority of boards aren't weeaboo, and therefore it's not unreasonable to see why people don't want to put up with your faggotry

You have perfectly functioning weeb boards. Go use them. Don't be surprised when you fling your excrement elsewhere and people voice discontent over it.
>>
>>44442139
Because Japan never really had "demons" they had "malicious spirits"

This is just the kind of language mishap that occurs when two cultures collide and have to learn each other. It's why Dragon now covers FIRE BREATHING DEMON and WEATHER MANIPULATING CELESTIAL AGENT at the same time.
>>
File: 1450405557739.jpg (64 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1450405557739.jpg
64 KB, 400x400
>>44453205
>Implying any of the oldfags really stay around anymore

Been on 4chan since 05. He's right, you're wrong. If you don't like it, you can always go back to gamefags or the charop forums or where ever else you whiners come from.
>>
>>44452670
Very few of the boards here are disconnected from the weeblines.
>>
File: 1449663784785.png (433 KB, 7823x4248) Image search: [Google]
1449663784785.png
433 KB, 7823x4248
>>44453523
Uh huh. Sure you have.

The minute someone even mentions a year they were from clearly haven't been around that long.

Again, not that your time here would have any impact on the logic and statements I've made. Typical weeaboo incapable of refuting my argument.

>>44453714
Most are, it's just the weebs shitposting their garbage where it's not warranted. Being a vocal minority has nothing to do with the activity.
>>
>>44442571
I read this one.
It turned into super bonerkill at the end for me
The protagonist was happy and whatever, but I would be hating life in his shoes.
>>
File: VhzJL.jpg (155 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
VhzJL.jpg
155 KB, 1280x720
>>44443764
Just where do you think you are?
>>
>>44449107

Muslims see themselves as the next and final step in a long line of prophets, mandates, and laws -which have always been contradictory- issued by a god that has always been jealous, petty, and allowed violence.

Seriously. How can anyone read the Bible and then act like the shit in the Koran is horrible? Mohammed is no different from any other Old Testament prophet/leader.
>>
File: Touhou_Hijack.jpg (44 KB, 680x527) Image search: [Google]
Touhou_Hijack.jpg
44 KB, 680x527
>>44452253
>>
File: meep.jpg (273 KB, 640x554) Image search: [Google]
meep.jpg
273 KB, 640x554
>>44443429
>>
>>44453205

I've been here since 01.

You're a moron.
>>
>>44457157
I've been here since 1964, posting with punch cards.
>>
File: hue hue hue.jpg (58 KB, 470x300) Image search: [Google]
hue hue hue.jpg
58 KB, 470x300
>>44457277
>not being here since 20,000 BC
>not banging rocks together to post
>>
>>44453205
Been on 4chan since 2004. Been on /tg/ since it was made. Been a long time. Went to Uni, bought land, got a career, and so on.Still here. Still weeb.
>>
So we went from a bullshit but somewhat informative thread about demons, to measuring our collective e-penises over a Korean flip book website.

This is why we don't deserve nice things.
>>
>>44454960
That pic always surprises me, I never expected that meme to make it's way to japan
>>
>>44459053
That meme comes from Japan, my dear anon.
>>
File: 1412139084136.jpg (517 KB, 714x967) Image search: [Google]
1412139084136.jpg
517 KB, 714x967
>>44447314
>>
>>44442756

It's weird how so many Japanese artist appear to draw toes the same way.
>>
>>44444690
>Thus you end up with stories of the One True God being both gentle and cruel, sane and insane.
Hey, you try knowing everything while being everything all at once and see how fucking reasonable you are.
>>
>>44452050
> he didn't even read the thread before replying.

Heh
>>
Cultural differences, western myths and legends, at least from what I've personally read, cast demons almost purely as monstrous antagonists while eastern cultures have them more as just magic people that are sometimes assholes and sometimes just animals
>>
>>44442139
Because what Japan calls "demons" we call "elves", and what Japan calls "elves" we call "donkey eared prostitutes"
>>
>>44459046
what did you expect, for nerd /b/ to rise above its roots?
>>
>>44442512
Actually, calling them "demons" is really more of a lazy translation kind of deal than anything. They've got little in common with what Westerners would call "demons", it's just that there's no English way of differentiating between the different types otherwise (although they do tend to translate "Bakemono" as "goblin").
>>
>>44444658
Arab speaking Catholics call god "Allah". Remember that Pope Clement XI issued a bull forbidding Chinese catholics to call god "Tian" or "Shangdi" so it's not like they'd let something like that slide
Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.