[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I want to play a grappler character >I want to play a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13
File: dissapointed football man.jpg (23 KB, 296x442) Image search: [Google]
dissapointed football man.jpg
23 KB, 296x442
>I want to play a grappler character
>I want to play a character who fights using exclusively environmental weapons, like a tavern brawler
>Can I make a character who uses this rare two-shield fighting style?
>Can I make my fighter use a rope dart?

Does this not strike players as something that might get old after three hours? I get that doing neat things in combat is fun, but basing an entire character off their fighting style would bland if it was a sword and board warrior, so why is it that I keep having to put up with people constantly asking to make tavern brawlers and shit?
>>
>>44436788
I should also mention that I think the rope dart is a fucking sweet weapon, but nobody at 1st level would be proficient in something like that. It's a grandmaster's fighting style.
>>
>>44436788
why are you talking shit about dual-wielding shields

i made a brawler once that used that shit, literally untouchable turtle in combat and also had custom shields that had a heavy and spiked part at the top that gave me some sweet damage bonuses of raw strength

also i was able to enchant the shields with a teammate for even more bonuses and some sweet crowd control for bashing them together, as well as being able to put them together in front of me and steamroll through the enemy forces with the strength of a freight train

it's all in the execution
>>
I had a 3.5e Elven Ninja that used a barbed chain whip to fight with. I liked the idea of being able to trip, etc. My rolls were terrible and he never was used again. Exotic Weapon my ass...
>>
>>44437029
Because it's a dumb gimmick.
>>
>>44436788
I once had a friend make a strength based character who used nothing but a door the withstood being kicked down by him with a Nat-20. (Clarification: The door was perfectly fine after the kick, the hinges were not.)

He beat the crap out of some things with that door, and it never got old.
>>
>>44437201
So is being a paladin.
>>
File: 250px-Bullseye5.jpg (17 KB, 250x377) Image search: [Google]
250px-Bullseye5.jpg
17 KB, 250x377
>>44436788
>Shadowrun
>Throwing adept
>credsticks, plastic cards, playing cards, bolts, antique coins, potted plants, bottles, cans, trashcans, on one occasion a dwarf
>nothing is safe. From anything.
>>
>>44437029
>blah blah mechanics
>it was awesome

Rollplayer detected. You're the problem at the heart of OP's complaint. The kind of player who'd build a 'tavern brawler' and only be happy with a campaign that was just a series of linked combat encounters in taverns.

>>44437170
>Elven Ninja
>3.5e

Hard cringe.
>>
>>44437258
Paladins have a lot more going for them than their fighting style.
>>
File: 1450749612782.jpg (85 KB, 900x1006) Image search: [Google]
1450749612782.jpg
85 KB, 900x1006
>I want to play a character who fights with a whip
>Here's my character art btw :^)
>>
>>44436788
Playing a character who's a good wrestler seems like it could be fun in a system where the grappling rules aren't awful. Seems like a better unarmed option than punching and kicking for an adventurer who might be forced to go up against people with weapons and/or armor and doesn't have chi superpowers or something.
>>
>>44437361
Haha, it was my first ever character in a paper RPG. I tried going with the rule of cool (to me at the time). That said, why was it terrible? I don't claim any kind of knowledge of the "meta" if you will.
>>
>>44437170
Oops, I said barbed whip. I looked it back up out of curiosity and discovered I misremembered. It was a Spiked Chain. Similar, but with a notable degree of variation.
>>
>>44436788
I would welcome everyone of these choices, adapting the current system to allow them.

> I want to play a grappler character
Sure.
> You can initiate a grapple instead of making an attack with a weapon (e.g. as part of an attack of opportunity).
> A grapple check aims for the torso. You can "call shot" a grapple check to one arm (-2 to hit), one leg (-2 to hit, you become prone, on a hit the target becomes prone) or the neck/head (-5 to hit)
> Unless a victim manages to free itself, it cannot use the grappled body part to move or attack. If it tries to move away from your reach without disengaging, it must attempt a drag maneuver.
>You can grapple up to 4 body parts using 4 of your body parts. You cannot initiate a grapple with your legs.
> When you inflict damage through a grapple, it is inflicted on one of the grappled body parts (grappler choice). This counts as a called shot to said body part.
> Deals 1d3 + Str modifier
> Grappling is an unarmed strike / natural weapon, and can benefit from feats or other abilities that enhance unarmed strikes or natural weapon.

>I want to play a character who fights using exclusively environmental weapons, like a tavern brawler
> Tavern Brawler - Brawler Archetype
> Catch Off-Guard
> Gains the Catch Off-Guard at 1st level as a bonus feat. At level 4, and every 4 levels thereafter, any improvised weapon in the hands of a Tavern Brawler is considered having a +1 enhancement bonus. This ability replaces Unarmed Strike.

> Brawler's Flurry
> Works only with improvised weapons.

> Flexible Training
At level 3, after making an attack with an improvised weapon on a creature with Damage Reduction, a Brawler may spend one use of his Martial Flexibility ability to ignore 3 points of that target's Damage Reduction. At level 7 and every 4 level thereafter, the Brawler ignores 3 more points of DR. This has no effect on Hardness. This ability replaces Maneuver Training.

Cont.
>>
>>44438305

In my world of straight-laced adventure, I don't want to have to set up each dragon fight and battle with revenants and shit to allow your gimmicky ass to play as Hakan from street fighter, stats be damned.
>>
File: oil up.gif (4 MB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
oil up.gif
4 MB, 360x240
>>44439122
>Hakan from street fighter,
Now I want to play as a turkish oil wrestler
>>
>>44439161
And now ask yourself exactly how long that premise is going to last you
>>
File: 1449278955525.jpg (85 KB, 804x802) Image search: [Google]
1449278955525.jpg
85 KB, 804x802
>"I want to play a grappler character!"
>Oh, cool, I think we can make it work, actually I had been watching some old clips of catch as catch can and sambo and I was thinking of how interesting it could be if monks could utilize joint locks and the like. I've been throwing together some rules for grapple checks for limbs from a clinch-position state and-
>"No, no, I mean... Like a luchador. You know? Or zangief. I just really wanna bodyslam some guy."
if you value your dreams never DM
>>
>>44440074
like one session, which is how long my groups last anyway
>>
File: [QUESTION MARK]_1.png (309 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
[QUESTION MARK]_1.png
309 KB, 480x800
>>44440148

>I wanna play a cool iconic character
>I am not particularly enthralled by my GM's autistic ranting about game mechanics
>This is a bad sign
>>
>>44440148
I at least wish I had gotten that much. We were all talking about how we were going to murder hobo and rape everything, but when we started, my players couldn't roleplay at all. I even let someone persuade a monster onto their team for shenanigans to get going, but they just did fuck all. Now they hate DnD because it wasn't fun or creative.
>>
>>44436788
The hell are you talking about? I don't restrict myself to being a grappler because I want to, I restrict myself because the system requires that in order to be competitive with that style.
>>
>>44436788
>I want to play a guy with a heavy crossbow
>Do research on historical uses of heavy crossbows
>It's pretty much just medieval french military until they got their shit kicked in and realized heavy crossbows were terrible
>Disappointing
>Notice a passing reference to beekeepers in one of the articles
>Do some more digging
>Turns out that beekeepers throughout most of Europe in ~14th century had special liscences to use crossbows to defend their hives from bears
>Fucking farmers dragged out the heavy artillery to use against bears
>End up making a beekeeper who took up adventuring after his farm got torched by a dragon
Self-serving bias and all that, but I'm pretty sure starting a character concept with nothing but a specific fighting style *can* still make for a pretty good character.
>>
>>44437361
>makes up a gimmicky style rather than using a cookie cutter optimaly optimized optimum build
>rollplayer

you are retarded.

>but muh mechanics

You'd almost think the warrior protagonists in fantasy literature tend to actualy be skilled in the act of fighting or something and that having mechanical effects is how games reflect that kind of thing.

People like you make me sick YOU are the ones that are obsesed with the numbers since clearly that is the one and only thing you see when you look at a sheet. The so called min maxers and munchkins? They see action scenes, darring stunts, epic deeds like those in the books, movies, rpgs are supposedly based on. but you don't see any of that. No, you are the ones who only see numbers.
>>
>>44440432
This.
It's not the entire character, it's the beginnings of one that at least nominally incorporates what goes on when they fight (specifically, how they fight) with who they are.
>>
>>44440568
I mean, I think you're right, but let's be real here -- munchkins who prefer to build for purely optimized stats/mechanical effectiveness are very real as well.
>>
>>44437226
Half-Orc?
>>
File: Braum_0.jpg (399 KB, 1215x717) Image search: [Google]
Braum_0.jpg
399 KB, 1215x717
>>44437226
was this your friend?
>>
>>44437201
Your entire life is a dumb gimmick.
>>
>>44437201
if it's fun for everyone involved and it works, then it isn't dumb

>>44437365
>>44437361
what makes you think i only had my fighting style going on? i dual-wielded shields in battle, but that was hardly the extent of my character
the shields represented something that my character stood for, and reflected parts of the backstory i had thought up for him - i didn't just one-up and said "hurr hburr im gonna need two shields for this one"
>>
>>44441217
Shieeet I wanna run Braum in 3.5/PF now. Grab a Tower Shield and figure out how to beat people to death with it. While also protecting my friends and being an impassable wall of AC.
>>
>>44440590
Well yeah but unless this weird combat style happens to be the most effective due to a weird rule or something they won't do what is being complained about here. The guy that was initially getting blasted as a 'rollplayer' (god I hate that term) was doing dual shields for Christ's sake.
>>
So, basically, this is a way to talk about wanting players to make characters with a thoughtful amount of story that links with their fighting style that is well represented in the mechanics of the game. Sounds good, that's a thing lots of people want.

Alternatively, it could be a demonstration of how different people find different types of games engaging and fun. Some like over the top luchadors fighting dinosaurs, some like grit and armbars. This is okay, just try and get everyone on a similar page when you start playing.
>>
File: Talhoffer Hooking Shield.jpg (15 KB, 400x301) Image search: [Google]
Talhoffer Hooking Shield.jpg
15 KB, 400x301
>>44437029
Because it's stupid and unrealistic. You should be fighting with a single two-handed shield
>>
>>44436788
Nothing of mentioned ideas get boring soon, when you play anima.
>>
>>44443061
Speak for yourself. A luchador shows up to my game, it's out.
>>
>want to play a pysker that can use telekinesis
>realize that would require me always having something to throw or smash into something

Telekinesis is such a great but limited power.
>>
>>44445922
>not throwing enemies
>not picking Telekinesis (motherfucker) specialization
>>
>>44436788
>>I want to play a character who fights using exclusively environmental weapons, like a tavern brawler
Why would that get old? Do you copypaste your scenarios?
>>
>>44445922
Couldn't you just batter people with telekinetic force directly?
>>
>>44446233
>batter people with telekinetic force
Mmmm. I want to play a telekinetic chef now. Slice and dice things with my mind. Turn my enemy into the meal. Gotta find that 40k writefag that did like a whole chapter of marines who cooked he Tyranids as a feast.
>>
>>44446233
If that's possible, that'd be interesting, but it'd probably be about the same as trying to throw them around.

At least you can also erect shields and shit.
>>
>>44445237
>nofunallowed.jpg
>>
>>44448258
fun is allowed. a discrete, but sometimes overlapping set known as "faggotry" is not allowed.
>>
>>44448258
This is exactly the type of comment I'm sick of getting when people keep asking me to play their gimmicky bullshit.

Having to deal with a party of conch-swinging, tavern-brawling, deck-of-card-throwing 2wacky faggots sucks the entire fun of the game out of me.

I love GMing but this shit needs to stop.
>>
File: no fun.png (64 KB, 250x248) Image search: [Google]
no fun.png
64 KB, 250x248
>>44450698
>people are liking things I don't like
>>
>>44446233
My old group ruled that if you picked the (fine manipulation) advantage (Hero system) you could turn your telekinesis into a piercing attack that dealt physical damage. It worked really well when one of the haracters could turn him and up to two other people invisible at range.
>>
>>44450698
I understand that wacky characters do not fit your style of play or the mood of the games you like to run. It's okay, everyone's different. You just need to find players that want to share with your style.
>>
>player wanted to play a drunken monk who is also a showgirl dancer
>she ends up being one of the tougher PCs simply due to having effectively permanently refreshing temp HP and infinite ki points from drinking expensive spirits as a swift action

>and has become one of the more well rounded characters in the cast due to her search for ever more refined alcohol
>>
>>44445922
Dude, in lots of settings telekinesis can tear people to shreds.
>>
>>44452823
So you just ignore the deleterious effects of alcohol or what?
>>
File: what_the_fly.jpg (28 KB, 312x428) Image search: [Google]
what_the_fly.jpg
28 KB, 312x428
>>44452823
>one of the more well rounded characters in the cast due to her search for ever more refined alcohol
>well rounded
>search for alcohol
>>
Because some players only think or care about combat?
It's a shit mindset but it's there so what ya gonna do
>>
>>44445922
Does your DM not leave a bunch of random objects in rooms for flavour? When planning a dungeon, I put tons of random crap around the place. Bones, old swords, burned out torched, broken furniture, shattered statues, deactivated traps, slime pits, swinging pots. And not only does this give players stuff to interact with, it fleshes out my room descriptions. Playing my dungeons must be an improvised weapon paradise. Hell, I've thrown in objects to allow me to add more monsters. If the PCs aren't suited to take on a small horde of kobolds, due to a lack of AOE, or don't have the ranged weaponry to fight harpies, I leave alchemists acid around the place, or have them find a destroyed army camp with heavy crossbow emplacements. I'd do it anyway because it makes the world richer. Tell your DM to read some old 3.0 adventures for inspiration, and come back to you when he GIT'S GUD.
>>
>>44453479
>anything 3.X
>"gud"
>>
>>44445922
>not just lazily directing telekinetic force into people's brains to kill them outright
>give them a nasty stroke at the least
Telekinesis is OP as fuck and you can't convince me otherwise.

Either you fiat the practical applications of TK for the purpose of balance or it makes you a death god among non-psychics.
>>
>>44453505
Oh the actual gameplay has nothing to do with it, but the maps were brilliant. Random worthless objects strewn about, for no reason other that to add flavour to the place, large rooms filled with nonsense, that only makes sense in context, and is used to make combat awesome. Like wandering around an abandoned dwarven city, and discovering that the foundry was fueled by magma pits. Then finding that the duergar inhabiting the place bound an elemental to the pitss to help out. Then allowing players to boot duergar into said pits, and having the elemental rise, shouting about how you killed his small freinds. Or a kobold's den, filled with bones, and refuse, with a bloodgames arena, and the players can get loot by solving a puzzle to do with putting skulls in various sticks and piles of bones, only, there's not enough skulls, so they have to use a dead enemy's head . As I said, brilliant.
>>
File: MrYukSticker.jpg (13 KB, 197x200) Image search: [Google]
MrYukSticker.jpg
13 KB, 197x200
>I want to play a grappler character

This is like the ultimate obnoxious special snowflake gamer red flag, in the same way that "I want to play a kender" lets you know the player is an asshole looking for roleplaying reasons to be a cockfalcon to the rest of the group.
>>
File: Angry Kermit.gif (932 KB, 253x197) Image search: [Google]
Angry Kermit.gif
932 KB, 253x197
>>44453895
>The player that wants to play as a useful support/offense class is the same kind of player that willingly steals important items from the party
>>
>>44443068
>realistic
>role playing game
>>
File: Davy_Jones_evil_grin.png (347 KB, 620x438) Image search: [Google]
Davy_Jones_evil_grin.png
347 KB, 620x438
>>44454067
>useful support/offense class
>>
I roll to pin
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.