[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got back into yugioh
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3
So I heard about this pendulum nonsense, and I decided I was interested in playing yu-gi-oh again. Luckily enough I was able to convince me 3 friends to also get into this. I'm working on a 4th friend, and there are a few other people I can play with through friends at work.

So in your opinion /tg/ because I assume someone here knows yu-gi-oh well. What are some of the best decks to have? What are the best budget decks?

My friends are currently trying to figure out what decks to start with. My advice was to buy a structure deck from the internet or target or something, and then build it up with boosters.

Any suggestions on which boosters I should be getting?

Pic related, it's my most valuable pull so far.
>>
>>44436287
>budget

Give up. The cards you absolutely need are $30+ for a reason. Mostly extra deck monsters, but certain ultra/ultimate/secret traps and spells too.
>>
>>44436318
I've already spent a fair amount so far. I'm just wondering which budget decks are good. I also want to know what the best decks in general are.
>>
>>44436318
I mean, I bought a lightsworn deck yesterday from ebay. Only spent about 25 dollars. It seems like it would be fun to play with.
>>
>>44436287
3 of the masters of pendulum structure deck is a good place to start, but that's mainly for magicians deck
>>
>>44436380
ok cool, I've got that structure deck coming in the mail sometime this week. I figured it would be good to start with for pendulums.
>>
>>44436337
You can throw together skeletal rank 4 toolbox pretty cheap these days, and there's a bunch of different cores that can pull that of that are strong in the budget/casual format. 4 axis Fire Fists and Battlin' Boxers are both older decks that can be assembled on the cheap and aren't useless.
>>
>>44436370

Yeah Lightsworn is pretty good. It was the top deck for a long time and was very expensive, but has been made cheaper with reprints.

But if you want a "complete" Lightsworn deck, there's a couple very expensive cards you'd have to buy, almost all in the extra deck or side deck.

I don't play anymore, but it seems the absolute best decks (and most expensive, since they're usually the newest, most popular, and have expensive monsters in the main deck) are

Burning Abyss
Infernoids
Pendulum Magicians (by far the most played/best)
Kozmo

Some decks that recently fell out of the top lists are Mermail, Fire Fist, Nekroz, etc.

If you don't have to worry about these types of expensive decks, some cheap, very good decks (that might even beat these decks occassionally) are

Masked E-HEROs (based on Dark Law and minimum monsters)
Blackwings
Lightsworn
Gravekeepers
Six Samurai (maybe)
Geargia (maybe)
generic chaos anti-meta

I think any of the "good" archetypes from years past will make for good casual competitive play. Gadgets, Machina Gadgets, X-Sabers, Infernities, Fabled, Plants, mostly shit from the synchro era and maybe xyz era too, Inzektors, Wind-Ups, Geargia.

A lot of old decks are only bad because the banlist removed their most crucial cards.
>>
>>44436484
Cool, I've got a gravekeepers deck, and I've found that it's still awesome.

I also have a pretty cool light/fairy deck. I stopped playing around 2011.

Yeah Infernoids seem like the way to go.
>>
>>44436484
The banlist still isn't even that bad compared to pokemon/magic. Which is another thing I like about yu-gi-oh
>>
>>44436526

FREE STRATOS
>>
>>44436287
If you want to play competitive tournaments, then don't bother playing on a budget. Go broke or go home.

If you want to play casual animestuff, just about any deck is good if it was made since Duelist Alliance, and a number of decks beyond that are also pretty good.
>>
>>44436526
>Magic banlist is bad
Maybe for Modern.
Also, Pokemon has a ban list?
>>
God, I miss yugioh circa 2010. Archtypes weren't the be-all-end all, stupid shit like xyz was barely a twinkle in some useless fuck's eye, and synchros were the hot shit.

Nostalgia's a bitch.
>>
>>44437817
Pokemon TCG has a rotational format like MTG does, but peroidically bans specific cards or card combos when they completely wreck the game.

Lysandre's Trump Card is the only card currently banned to my knowledge.
>>
Wait for Breakers of Shadow to release early next year. That one's going to be a money set. Overall, though, you're probably better off buying singles if you want to make a deck.

The current best decks are Kozmo and Pepe (Pendulum Performage), both of which are very expensive. If you want a cheap and competitive cards, look into the Master of Pendulum structure deck. With the cards from there and a few others, you could make something fairly good. You could also wait for the Monarch structure deck to drop in a few months.
>>
>>44438056

Archetypes were pretty big back then. They just weren't forced on you. The only hodge podge non-archetype from them was anti-meta stun and plants. Everyone else used similar themed cards, like Gladiator Beasts, HEROs, Blackwings, etc.
>>
>not just playing casual
My favorite times playing yugioh were using random cards with Duelist Kingdom/Battle City rules and drafting War of the Giants/Monster League boxes
>>
>>44438241
>drafting
As a someone who hasn't played yu-gi-oh in forever and has been playing magic, explain. How many packs per person?
>>
>>44437183
Yeah I might play in a local tournament once I know I have a decent workable deck.
>>
>>44436484
>No mention of Yang Zings

I'm disappointed anon.
>>
>>44438287
If you get some good Rank 4 staples, as well as your backrow staples like MST, you can make a pretty decent deck by combining Raidraptors and Kaiju, but the deck has a nasty habit of having hands where you're one combo piece short of an amazing play. You can also build Melodious for pretty cheap, but that has a similar problem.
>>
>>44438269
We'd use 12 packs each (60 cards) to make 40 card decks.
>>
>>44438345
Why Raidraptors specifically? I've had some success with a Clownblade+Kaiju budget build, so I get mixing R4nk spam with Kaijus works well, I just don't have a lot of experience with birdraptors.
>>
don't play yugioh, it fucking sucks now
>>
>>44438345
I just organized all my new raidraptor cards. It seems like it can be a cool deck once you get enough together.

>>44438373
that sounds fun as fuck actually.
>>
>>44436526
>Banlist isn't as bad
>Brand new broken shit literally stays unbanned for months, even years before it sees a banning.
>After banning, more broken shit is printed

Literally the jewiest card game
>>
>>44438640
Drafting is fun but only for battle packs, because they're designed for it. Drafting with regular boosters isn't fun because there's way less variety.

If you're looking for nostalgia bait you could try drafting Dark Beginning packs...if you can afford the boxes.
>>
>>44436484
pendulum magicians is pretty cheap though
>>
>>44438718
HAH

If you want cheap, wait for the new Monarchs
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 200x275) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 200x275
>>44438082
who thought this was a good idea anyway
>>
>>44438479
Raidraptors get most of their power from being able to supercharge themselves using opposing Special Summoned monsters. Kaiju are already good at removing monsters you don't like, and they also count as Special Summoning, making Rise Falcon not as potentially retarded to summon.

>>44438640
It's a pretty cool deck, but it's got some holes in TCG right now and it can suffer from "Sekrit Tek Syndrome", where there are a plethora of amazing cards that you can use in the deck as one-offs (secret pass to the treasures, for instance), but you just can't justify ALL of them.
>>
>>44438751
What does it combo with that make it banworthy? It doesn't look too powerful on paper
>>
>>44438780
it allows for infinite games
>>
>>44438780
It's basically Fiber Jar.
>>
>>44438808
>>44438815
How does it do that when the prize system exists? Is there a card that gives players extra prize cards?
>>
>>44438776
Ah, actually using Rise Falcon. Yeah, that might be pretty good, but I still feel like it's not as concise, consistent, or floaty an engine as Clownblade. Plus, I like being able to use Trapeze Magician on a Radian token for a fun OTK.
>>
How do we fix Yugioh?

Some thoughts

>make normal summons matter as a resource bottleneck
>keywords to simplify cards
>better spell/trap resolution system
>greater variety of deck strategies
>remove powercreep

This would essentially involve redoing the game from the ground up, but I think it could still capture the fun of the came and allow for big, swingy plays
>>
>>44438866
Use the Summon Points system from Duelists of the Roses as a summoning resource
>>
>>44438866
You can't fix YGO, its made for its intended target audience, which are little japaneseshits hyper on soda and candy.
>>
>>44436287
3 Master of Pendulum structure decks
Or wait for new monarchs
>>
>>44438866
Prize support
Event coverage
Consistent judge rulings
No more OCG/TCG exclusives
More than one format
Forcing players to use basic hygeine
>>
>>44438898
Enacting those changes would essentially be starting from the ground up with a new game, but I don't think all of YGO is inherently terrible
>>
>>44438866
Dungeon Dice Monsters
>>
>>44436287
My suggestion is to get out while you still can and pick a better hobby like magic or netrunner or heroin
>>
>>44438866
Fix the playerbase and you'll solve most of the problems. OCG manages to mostly have fun formats, even if they go through the same shit of choppy formats that we do periodically. Nothing that's actually broken survives 2 formats untouched. Meanwhile TCG has to guarantee sales, so they throttle support over many sets and hope that people will buy into it.
>>
>>44436287
If you're buying any structure deck buy 3 of them so you can fill your extra deck, if it comes with extra deck goodness.
Also, anon said it earlier and I must agree... go broke or go home.
Unless the local tournaments are made of chumos you'll have no chance unless you spend some money on your extra deck.
If you plan on playing mostly with friends then any recent structure deck will do. Yugioh's effects make it a really random game when the powerlevel isn't that clear between decks.
Anyone got tips on making a synchro deck based around stardust warrior work? Synchro sucks now but I still love it.
Also, should I build Raid Raptors or Mecha Phantom Beasts?
>>
>>44439018
>Stardust whatists

Probably junk synchros, if thats still a thing.
>>
File: BP02-BoosterEN.png (2 MB, 1256x743) Image search: [Google]
BP02-BoosterEN.png
2 MB, 1256x743
>>44436287
Get some friends together and make a highlander cube with battlepack cards and strong cards from other sets. Make it half monsters, half spell/trap. Shuffle and divide evenly among players, or draft it. It's cheap as hell, tons of fun, and it gets that old-school battle city type feel from the first show.

I recently got out of regular play because it's super fucking expensive, even more than M:TG, since good decks become obsolete in 6 months.
>>
>>44436287
Don't listen to retards like this >>44436318>>44437183
Just buy yourself 3 magician structure decks for 30 dollars and spend like 10 dollars on wavering eyes, 3 kirin and the clowns (3 juggler is standard, customize whatever else). You're basically tier 1 already, the rest of the deck is nice but it's mostly just situational, you don't need it, when i picked up magicians my build was 40 dollars and i topped 2 locals with it before upgrading to like the 200 dollar build i have now. Lightsworn is only good if you have the minerva xyz prize card.
>>
>>44438866
What about implementing a universal resource mechanic for spell and trap cards?
>>
>>44440247

There is one, it's called 5 slots and having to set to activate.

For normal spells that you can spam infinitely, the limit is your hand size and trusting Konami to not print too much card draw, combined with the fact that those spells are slow and cannot be used on the opponent's turn, while the opponent's set traps are ready to stop you.
>>
What's Pendulum Summon?
>>
>>44440425
By using these two specific types of card, you can play them as spell cards and then Special Summon multiple monsters that have a level between the two numbers on the cards.

So if you have a Scale 1 and a Scale 8, you can Pendulum Summon any number of monsters with a level 2-7. You can only Pendulum Summon once per turn.
>>
>>44438908
what would be the purpose behind getting 3? Can't I save money by just buying some of the singles that I need more of?

Also can someone explain to me how Pendulums from the extra deck work. I hear you can pendulum summon from your hand or your extra deck. Is it any pendulum thats in your extra deck face up, or is it the top one thats face up in your extra deck? Me and my friend are just looking for some clarification.

Also thanks everyone this thread is super helpful/useful/nostalgic
>>
so how would you guys rate this deck list I found, and what improvements would you suggest;

Monsters
3x MPB Megaraptor
3x MPB Tetherwolf
3x MPB Hamstrat
3x MPB O-Lion
2x MPB Harrliard
2x MPB Blackfalcon
1x MPB Warbluran
1x Mathematician

Spells
2x MST
1x Dark Hole
1x Foolish Burial
2x Draw Muscle
2x Upstart Goblin

Traps
3x Aerial Recharge
2x Mirror Force
2x Waboku
1x Solemn Warning
1x Bottomless Trap Hole
2x Dimensional Prison
1x Torrential Tribute
2x Fiendish

XYZ
1x Superdreadnought Rail Cannon Gustav Max
1x Skypalace Gangaridai
1x Phantom Fortress Enterblathnir
1x Number 74: Master of Blades
2x MPB Dracossack
1x Gear Gigant X

Synchro
1x Castel, the Skyblaster Musketeer
1x Star Eater
1x Hot Red Dragon Archfiend
1x Scrap Dragon
1x Armades, Keeper of Boundaries
1x Hi-Speedroid Chanbara
1x Old Entity Hastorr

Side
1x Scapegoat
1x Supply Unit
1x Fusion Substitute
1x Wyrm The Genesis Dragon
>>
>>44438977
I've played magic before. It just doesn't have the same appeal to me that Yu-gi-oh has.
>>
>>44440111
magician structure decks? Do you mean the pendulum ones? Which one specifically?
>>
>>44441028

Master of Pendulum. You'll still need spells/traps but those are cheap commons and I think you need a few more monsters. The monsters in that structure are reprints of expensive cards.
>>
>>44441050
sounds good. So just get 3 of those. I was going to just alter the one structure deck after getting it. What the cards worth having more than one of in that deck?

Also can whats the deal with pendulum summoning monsters from the extra deck? Is it any face up pendulum monster in there that you can summon? Or is it the first one on top that you can summon?
>>
>>44440966
All of the Pendulums that are in your ED face-up. Any of the face-up ones are summonable, not just the top one.
>>
>>44441088
Ok cool, thank you very much for helping with this.

Me and my friend weren't sure. He's completely new to the game, and I just started getting packs again and having to understand pendulums and xyz summons (which aren't really that different from syncros)
>>
>>44441082

3 Dragonpit Magician
3 Wisdom-Eye Magician
3 Performapal Skullcrobat Joker
2-3 Oafdragon Magician
0-2 Nobledragon Magician
0-1 Dragon Pulse Magician

3 Pendulum Call
2-3 Sky Iris
1-2 Terraforming

Missing:

Performapal Pendulum Wizard (comes out in January, probably will be expensive)
Traptrix Rafflesia (expensive)

Teach you how to play pendulum magician: http://articles.alterealitygames.com/pendulum-magicians-the-fundamentals/

Sample of winning pendulum magician decks to help you find missing cards: http://articles.alterealitygames.com/arg-circuit-series-las-vegas-top-16-decklists/
>>
>>44441168
Nice this will save me money for sure.
>>
>>44441168
anddd I just dropped 20 dollars on a deck
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181955173266?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
>>
>>44438780
Pokemon has lots of ways to draw lots of cards and loot through your deck. The risk, though, is losing by being decked. With Trump Card not only is that not an issue, but you get back all those cards that let you dig through your deck back. It was pretty ridiculous.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.