[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone explain forum-based role playing to me? (Play by post?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: hello.jpg (36 KB, 223x349) Image search: [Google]
hello.jpg
36 KB, 223x349
Can anyone explain forum-based role playing to me? (Play by post? Online rp? Whatever it is called?)
Is it still a thing?
Where should I start looking to join a good one?

I always made fun of those kids but now, alone with only a shoddy internet connection and shoddier laptop, I am considering giving it a shot.
>>
>>44435349
also I was inspired by the classic story
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/26565579/
Which is also the extent of my knowledge on the subject.
>>
>>44435349
what kind?
like complete freeform,what you might call "collaborative writing" or d20 and post?
>>
It's kind of like playing by text on something like roll20 or skype, except slower and the better ones usually expect you to put out about a paragraph per post.

As far as I'm aware it's still very much a thing, the hardest part is just finding the good forums to play on. Sure shit like gaia is still around, but there's a reason it's considered a joke. There's a handful of other private forums out there, but good luck finding them through google.
>>
>>44435349
If they're bad, you can easily join.

If they're good, they're in full super secret club mode.

Either way, it is probably the slowest way to actually playing an RPG besides maybe doing it by letters.
>>
A lot of times it depends on the site for the format but the general gist is, you make an account and a character(s), and then you play in threads which act as adventures or even campaigns, ideally with other people. Depending on the rules of the site/forum, it may be entirely freeform, or there may be some guidelines to work by, but usually the important detail is open-ended creativity. Since you're more or less constrained only by how creative you can be and how much you can play, it becomes like cooperative storytelling with other people/players.

So for example, same as you I saw some a pretty cool story and account of an ongoing RP and I joined the /tg/ crew awhile back on that play by post freeform RP. I have a character and let's say I start a thread with some general plot in mind, like "Everyone has to work together, in order to rob a bank." So the idea is to set the stage with the general plot, and then allow for other people to come into play with their characters, bringing their own creative additions to the setting and plot of the thread, and before long everyone playing has contributed ideas, characters, locations and plot points, to create a more detailed and immersive written adventure than any one of us could on our own (at least, without tons of time spent working and planning it). As the thread progresses, you write how your character acts and interacts, and other players do the same so it ends up making a cooperative story that lasts the length of the thread to the assumed conclusion at the end.
>>
>>44435655
One of the things to keep in mind though, if you're going for the forum, play by post style format is that it takes a long time to play and is a long time investment. Not in the sense that you will be playing for like, 10 hours every day, but it's based on the rate which people post so if you're lucky you're with people who will post as soon as they can, and a thread will last maybe a week to a month. If you're unlucky, you'll be with people who wait a few days to post even though it's their "turn" and a thread can last a few months. So if you don't like a slow progression game it probably isn't for you, though you can of course have multiple characters in different threads. I personally don't mind the rate of play though, because it lets you play at your own pace. For me it's just something I do on the side for fun, like I check back every couple days to read and see if it's my turn and then make a post if it is. The whole ordeal is like 5-10 minutes a day on average, so it's a really easy pace to keep up with even when I have very little free time. For games that are more fast paced and get a lot done in a short time, that's what I have traditional tabletop for, this is more a supplement in the downtime.

But yeah, overall I enjoy it a lot. I don't mind the slow pace because for me it's not my main source of roleplaying, I do like the open-ended creativity of it where I have the freedom to write pretty much whatever I want to happen, and I do like the ability to play at your own pace for whatever suits your schedule. As for other forms not in the forum style, like skype or roll20, I couldn't say since I don't have much experience with those, but I've heard good things. As said, I'm currently just in the /tg/ crew in the RP game of one forum, and it's freeform play by post.
>>
>>44435519
What other option is there for people who are unable to participate in a regularly scheduled game over IRC or Skype due to circumstances?
>>
>>44435519
>2(10^3)-(7-(2)^5)
>not playing your games by smoke signals relayed to a scribe on horseback from Chicago to New York, then having it sent to you in Oregon by wagon
>>
>>44435672
>a few months
>a long time
Where do you play and how can i join? My groups has died down a lot and now a thread can take multiple years to reach it's end, if it ever does.
>>
>>44435349
Just lurk in civ/quest threads. It's practically the same thing.
>>
>>44435709
Masturbation.
>>
I used to use RPOL.net

I think it's still around and is probably the easiest choice.
>>
>>44435756
I joined this site after seeing a storytime thread about the /tg/ crew there.

http://strawhatforum.proboards.com/

A heads up though, true to OP story style, it's an anime RP (One Piece), so may not appeal to your interests.
>>
>>44435769
some sort of fantasy adventuring?
Haven't actually done it on anything other than what used to be a vaguely anime based forum in a long time, but it might be good to do something different and new.
>>
When I was about 13 I started. Still talk to people from the site all these years later, even if the forum itself is deader than dead.
>>
>>44435813
Eh, I do Inuyasha, so I'm no going to object to the anime part. Maybe the One Piece part, but I'll check it out.
>>
>>44435866
Similar boat here, save that the forum died within the past year due to the owner going on a power trip and even pissing off the head GM and his friend. I'm glad I left it years before then.
>>
>>44435889
If it's to your liking and you care to play with us, lemme know and maybe we can set something up.

Thus far we've managed to go under the radar with the /tg/ crew idea, since pretty sure the site people would raise some alarms to a 4chan based group.
>>
>>44435349
It's absolutely still a thing, anon. My group has been doing PbP games in-house for lots of different systems for... fuck, going on two years soon enough. The thing you gotta keep in mind is that for like 99% of people you'll ever do PbP with is that they'll be shitters, just absolutely terrible. Try to find people that are good--hard to tell, when you're new--and then get in good with them and then alter your expectations accordingly.
>>
>>44436053
Well look for someone new around news years. I'll be busy until then, but if you got anything of interest going on, I'll likely stick around.
>>
>>44435813
Definitely looks interesting. Although I'd be careful with sharing on 4chan, given the reputation and the alarm bells it can raise.
>>
>>44436151
More of just the same old same old; toppling the established order and powerscale of the forum RP with sheer numbers. Or at least that's the intent, not as many players as we once had, now it's mostly exploring, adventuring and treasure hunting.
>>
>>44436193
I know what you mean but we've been a little careful so that we don't get outed by accident. So far it's worked at least.

Just got our /tg/ crew boat so there's that too.
>>
>>44436219
I'm interested, honestly been looking for a good prim to recently. I'm reading through the rules if you wanted more folks.
>>
>>44436292
Always looking for more people, can't topple an RP without fellow people.

If you read the rules and figure to join, drop your name and I'll send a line when I get a chance. We can get a thread going pretty much ASAP.
>>
>>44435397
>retarded and fake shit

If that inspired you, maybe you should be inspired to off yourself.
>>
>>44435672
>>44435655
Thanks for the rundown, I'll try to keep my eye out for a /tg/ crew. Free form sounds like it might be good.

>>44435813
Wish I could join you but I've never watched/seen One Piece, it's not my slice of cake.
>>
>>44437692
>never watched/seen One Piece

Most of us haven't for what it's worth. The setting is basically just high seas piracy, and some of the pirates might have super powers.
>>
>>44435349
There's a website called Nationstates, where you make a country and whatnot. Thats all well and god, but there is a sub-forum on there called Portal to the Multiverse, which is a place for all sorts of RPs, generally done in a play by post style with a minimum of a paragraph in the better RPs. If you want to do one line stuff, there's Forum 7, but thats a hellhole of autists.

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewforum.php?f=31&sid=0e5ef6e14b9ea04c3cb54b9a00cf7e4f

Link above takes you to the P2TM sub-forum. Have a look around.
>>
>>44437864
That seems unlikely to me.
Most people I know have watched at least at bit of One Piece, seeing as it ran on TV in a prominent timeslot for a few years.
>>
>>44435349

I use myth-weavers personally, just out of habit. It's where I go to scratch the gaming itch because the local groups around here are shit.

Inevitably anything I run lasts for a bit before I lose players, and anything I try and play in dies before it can get off the ground.
>>
>>44443544
If you plan on running something, I'm interested.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.