[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/tg/, I want to run the most bog-standard cliche-ridden fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: d_d_4.0_party_art.jpg (113 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
d_d_4.0_party_art.jpg
113 KB, 800x500
/tg/, I want to run the most bog-standard cliche-ridden fantasy game I can manage. I just want to play everything completely straight, no parody or poking fun or eye rolling. Just 100% old school gaming goodness. But I could use some help with a couple of things.

First off, what system should I use? I was thinking of just using Basic D&D, but I know there's some pretty good OSR stuff out there too.

Second, are there any fun cliches or tropes that you think I should include?
>>
>>44429967

Running B/X dnd and one of the basic modules. Most of them have the cliches and tropes in them because they weren't those yet.

Alternatively you could run dungeon world or world of dungeons, its pretty much geared for that too. Easy to convert 1st ed modules for.

The different OSR systems are mostly the same with slight variations in different directions like having a neat encumbrance system, or castle building or whatever, but for the most part they're all based in B/X dnd and are designed to be modified/house ruled. The OSR general is a good place to ask too.
>>
bumping as not OP for interest
>>
>>44429967
Every development plot-wise in the adventure has to happen in a pub. Every quest-giver refuses to be dealt with anywhere else.
>>
>>44429967
>I just want to play everything completely straight, no parody or poking fun or eye rolling.
Is this possible if you KNOW you're doing it?
>>
>>44430625
>basic modules

Specifically, Keep on the Borderlands.
>>
>>44429967
Tropes and cliches?

A Dark Lord, gathering power, amassing an army of monsters, orcs, goblins, trolls, vampires, werewolves and other dark fiends from infernal realms, to sweep over the land like a fetid tide of destruction. He isn't at his full power yet, but at this stage, when he's vulnerable, he likely to use the most precaution, and will be especially dangerous.

How to kill a Dark Lord? You'll need the sword of an ancient hero, of course! Maybe even best his ghost in combat so he can give you his blessing.
>>
use a retroclone
>>
>>44434664
The campaign should start with the party all meeting in a tavern.

Also, you'll wanna make the paladin fall.
>>
>>44429967
you all meet in a tavern

kobolds are first enemy
>>
But if you're trying your hardest to be bog standard to not be parodying it, you are parodying it.

Like >>44434322 is straight parody.
>>
>>44434762
But then the paladin must rediscover his faith and be twice as strong as before!
>>
>>44434829

If you earnestly try to be the standard its not parody. Doing it with irony/elitism makes it parody.
>>
>>44434930
Just in time to defeat the lich and save the kingdom, no less!
>>
Just use the setting of the original Final Fantasy game, it has pretty much everything you're looking for
>>
>>44435429
If said paladin is a woman, then they also get the princess. I guess a guy paladin could too, but it isn't as pure.
>>
>>44436134
>muh yuri is purest love maymay
>>
>>44436524
Disgusting het fags should be shot in the street.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.