[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck did tau get a new codex before CSM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11
File: 16080321.jpg (115 KB, 318x433) Image search: [Google]
16080321.jpg
115 KB, 318x433
Why the fuck did tau get a new codex before CSM
>>
for the greater good
>>
>>44420685
Because they actually sell.
>>
>>44420685
Because Tau artwork and model design can be stolen from DA for free, while Chaos has to be done in-house.
>>
>>44420739
a couple years back polls at cons and tournaments suggests Chaos Space Marines were the 3rd most popular army, behind regular Space Marines (all flavors) and Imperial Guard.

Now I am not sure. Google is turning up old data.

Honestly I think the Dark Vengeance box make Chaos Space Marines a lot more popular, but the lack of anything substantial after that kind of made GW lose that momentum.

Would a new basic CSM kit with the quality of their most recent kits move some space marines? I know I'd buy a box or two, but I don't speak for everyone.
>>
I just want legion book.

The good old times of having a dedicated God army with pros and cons
>>
>>44420871
Chaos really just needs a rules overhaul more than anything else. Khorne Daemonkin breathed some life into them, but they still lack all the cool stuff they had.

The problem is all that cool wargeae they had before is difficult to translate to kits and sales, which is why they ditched most of it in the first place.

Having Legion Traits along the lines of Chapter Tactics would be a great step and might build some interest, but unless they update the rules I dont think many people will really care to upgrade right away.
>>
>>44421001
the obvious route to me would be to introduce legion tactics (much like chapter tactics), a new basic CSM kit, and "upgrade kits" much like the space marine upgrade kits.

That kind of just makes CSM "spikey space marines" though.

Personally I would like to see the rules go in the other direction. Free-form warband rules and greater distinction between loyalist marines and chaos marines.

I'd really like a proper cultist kit. I know if you do enough coversions of the DV cultists you can get by, especially as they get removed in droves anyway, but still. Cultists are the backbone of many CSM lists and the fact they don't even have a kit to themselves is a little sad.
>>
>>44420685
Would you rather have a shit codex with shit characters you won't use, or a good codex with decent models and new rules?

This shit takes time anon.
>>
>>44421613
Yeah, just look at Orks, 6½ years wait and finally they got...
>>
>>44421613
Do not care about the models, as long as playing CSM almost means autoloose. (Hey your marines are better than ours and you get free tanks, too)

See Helbrute, cool model but compared to SM dreads with droppod, naah I pass, thx
>>
>>44421640
We already had that, going from 4th to 6th edition.
>>
If you want Legion rules just play HH or use those rules. I can't see Legion rules making a comeback in 40k with the emphasis being on how the Legions for most part don't exist and instead have broken up into numerous warbands.

>>44420685

To tie in with the release of Kauyon and Montka and because the codex was really updated, it just had shit added to it.

>>44420871

Considering Chaos Space Marines are one of their best sellers for 2015 according to GW, there probably is some merit to them being popular. This is Chaos Space Marines as in the old models.
>>
>>44421953

They could use this opportunity to flesh out warband rules though. You might not get the original NL legion rules from 3.5 or 30k but you could have the NL warband rules or a NL-esque army list.

Honestly I don't give a shit I just want the CSMfags to stop whining.
>>
File: 9015057.jpg (34 KB, 600x328) Image search: [Google]
9015057.jpg
34 KB, 600x328
>>44420685
Other factions that will get a Codex before CSM:
>Space Wolves
>Tyranids
>Imperial Guard
>Orks
>Blood Angels

You know it's true
>>
>>44420685
Because they got new minis, and they need to be sold
>>
>>44424148
>Squats
>Slaught
>Enslavers
>Chaos Squats
>Jim from Dribblesnot V, the Mucus Planet
>Literally every single faction or even slightly larger than usual bump in the ground in the entire setting

>10 year gap

>CSM
>>
>>44424247
>10 year gap

more like

>3 edition gap

I'm a Chaos player. The fact that Chaos is generally terrible right now without a cheese list is saddening. At least I still fuck up my friend's Dark Angels with them, but he's just bad at the game. Oh well, guess I'll keep making him mad with my Necrons.
>>
>>44424267
CSM player here too. Started GK army because I don't want to autolose every game I play. Shit's boring
>>
They didn't really. Just an expansion.
>>
>>44421001
Wrong. Chaos became mad popular with legion rules and the index astartes when they came out. Then the devs returned to 2nd ed style mismatch chaos and no one gives a shit anymore.

You can't revive chaos, anyone who cared about legions is a HH player now.

Chaos as a popular faction is ded son.
>>
>>44424451
>Wrong. Iron Warriors became mad popular with legion rules

FTFY
>>
>>44424148
>Orks
>>
>>44424469
Yeah they were popular, WAAC fags with that slaanesh combo. daemon bomb the codex had a lot of good shit. I played AL myself. Haines was a little OP with his own army. But Legion rules was the cool part. Mismatch chaos (as we have now) is lame as fuck.

If chaos had gotten sexy legion stuff, HH would be ded.
>>
File: codex releases2.jpg (189 KB, 951x362) Image search: [Google]
codex releases2.jpg
189 KB, 951x362
>>44424148
>>44424482
>>
>>44420871
>a couple years back
That was from the era of metal boxes, were plague marines and other infantry were king, of course they were popular then.

While playing CSM is tough, if you don't play vs invisibility, d weapons, superheavies and grav gun spam you can do well enough.
>>
So you salty bitches seen the CSM rumour?
>>
>>44424570
>If
>If
>If
>If

If you roll only 6s, CSM is pretty good.
>>
>>44424592
What? The one from a 100% source that say we will NOT get any new Codex in the next year?
The ones that say we will get MAYBE some kind of small update, probably in some White Dwarf, and MAYBE a SINGLE new model?

Yes, we have seen those.
>>
>>44424629
The one the lists's 7 new kits, Chaos Allegiance rules and a few formations.
>>
>>44424667
Ah, the one that give us a day of happiness and then was proven to be completely false.

Thank you for reminding us.
>>
>>44424682
Day of happiness beast sitting in a corner jerking yourselves off with a tear-stained cumrag for the next 2 years.
>>
File: meh.ro11927-455x671.jpg (53 KB, 455x671) Image search: [Google]
meh.ro11927-455x671.jpg
53 KB, 455x671
>>44424712
What?

Should i be okay with the fact that a douchebag that has nothing better to do than to troll other people writing false rules, was actually able to please the whiniest and bitchiest group of 40k players, and make actually good stuff, while a 50 billions company cannot?

We need to wait years for something a dude did for the lulz in a weekend?

I'm not okay with this.
>>
>>44420924

The formation/decurion system could handle this ably.
>>
Tau sell riptides.
>>
>>44424608
I just don't play against faggots with WAAC netlists for pickup games.
Do you?
>>
>>44425425
I just don't play against pickup faggots.
>>
>>44425425
Not him but I only play with my friends against non-cheese lists and I literally, i mean literally, have lost pretty much all of the games I have played with CSM.

I play against Tau, Nids, DA, SW, Crons, IG and BA
>>
>>44420685
Because as far as Geedubs are concerned, people see Tau and think "Isn't that that Gundam Wing thing that was on Cartoon Network when I was a little jimmy?" Whereas people see CSM and say "It's that Warhammer thing."

Can't ride the success of others when people know it's not others success.
>>
>>44420739
It's actually the exact opposite.

Chaos stuff sells no matter what. As long as they sell with shit, outdated rules, why change anything?

#1 Space Marines
#2 Chaos Space Marines
others
>>
>>44425486
Really? Damn man that's rough. I generally do quite well as chaos.

I tend to run my chaos as melee, using a unit of spawn, maybe a unit of raptors (10-15 strong), normally 6 obliterators, some basic CSM units in groups of 10, possible some autogun cultists and then maybe terminators and/or possessed (using supplement for possessed)

I normally just try to get into melee ASAP while using the obliterators to take out key targets at range. Khorne or nurgle mark on everything normally. Lots of cheap CSM guys can manage quite well, I basically play them like orks in power armor.

You'd be surprised how often a few guys in melee wins the game, no one expects melee these days.
>>
>>44425716
>no one expects melee these days.

That's because it's shit and easily obliterated with a plethora of big guns.
>>
>>44425877
>Confirmed pleb with no LOS blocking terrain
>>
>>44425877
Except when it's not because your opponent's running a dime a dozen netlist with no idea what shit does, relying on stats and special rules to compensate for having the strategic skills of bathroom mould.
>>
>>44420739
Retard detected.
>>
>>44426056
Tau are very popular.
>>
But anon, there's a reason why CSM are so weak!

>- The Betrayer -
Traitor Astartes Cowards and traitors all! Once proud members of the Astartes, these so called men turned their backs on everything you now protect. They sought power and wealth, but betrayed everything they swore to defend. They deserve nothing better than the purifying blaze of your flamethrowers.

>Fear not their armor or weapons. Once these were as strong as the mighty Astartes, but millennia of disrespect to the machine spirits has caused their equipment to disintegrate. Even a simple thrust from your bayonet will easily penetrate their weakened armor. Stand firm, so great is the shame of their heresy that they will run from even the sight of your loyal uniforms.

THE EMPEROR PROTECTS!
>>
>>44426328
Damn, fucked up the greentext

>- The Betrayer -
>Traitor Astartes Cowards and traitors all! Once proud members of the Astartes, these so called men turned their backs on everything you now protect. They sought power and wealth, but betrayed everything they swore to defend. They deserve nothing better than the purifying blaze of your flamethrowers.

>Fear not their armor or weapons. Once these were as strong as the mighty Astartes, but millennia of disrespect to the machine spirits has caused their equipment to disintegrate. Even a simple thrust from your bayonet will easily penetrate their weakened armor. Stand firm, so great is the shame of their heresy that they will run from even the sight of your loyal uniforms.
>>
>>44426328
And the second time too.

Obviously you are as useless as Abbadon.
>>
>>44420685
Because there was concern that a new CSM book would affect BaC sales. And also because CSM still sell kits even though theyre near unplayable at the moment. Why spend resources updating them when they are still a top selling army?

With plastic HH kits likely taking center stage in 2016, its very unlikely that we will see any significant CSM releases in the coming year. This way, they nudge CSM players toward HH purchases. Then in 2017 release 40k CSM. This way CSM players are 'forced' into making two purchases.

The rumorheads that are claiming no CSM update in 2016 both have good accuracy records. One is 100% accurate with 44 qualified predictions/posts/rumors.

The way CSM are being treated the way they are (theyre still making money, fuck the customers unhappy over their codex)
everyone should be concerned about the future of 40k. GW has never been a benevolent entity, but they have also never been this cold and corporate-ey with their approach to 40k the game. There is little to no love being put into it any more. Detailed plastic sculpts are great, but not when theyre clearly designed on a screen and lack all the character that helped lay the foundation.
The art, the writing, and the game (worst balance, power creep, and power gaps the game has ever had) have all taken steps backward in quality.

This is what happens when the suits get control of everything. Greed is the driving force behind GW. Fanboys and myopic retards may never be able to accept it, but this game will definitely sputter out and die if it continues on this path.
>>
>>44426219
They were one of the worst selling armies until the Riptide and 6th edition.
Once GW realized they could print money by giving giant robots powerful rules and an easy mode codex, look what happened. Stormsurge, Ghostkeel, FW has what, 4 Riptide variants?
The game is a joke. Balance is based more on sales #'s than it is on the desire to create a quality product.
>>
>>44426385
Where did I?

Not as useless as the traitor, a Guardsman can always give his life for the Imperium of Man and the Emperor! And while a heretic may repent his sins, but a traitor will never be forgiven!
>>
>>44422347

The feeling I get is that the warbands don't have a set of rules they adhere to, it might all be dependent on who is in charge.

>>44424148

Space Wolves is at least true

>>44426452

>Because there was concern that a new CSM book would affect BaC sales

Uh, why would it have any effect at all? In fact you could argue anew CSM codex would possibly complement BaC well considering all the Marines in MkIV armor you get.

Of course you can also argue that the people who have an interest in HH have no interest in CSM, I know I don't. The aesthetics and such of the Legions in HH is very different from CSM in 40k.

>Detailed plastic sculpts are great, but not when theyre clearly designed on a screen and lack all the character that helped lay the foundation.

What the fuck is this other than typical pining for the old days?
>>
>>44426661
>What the fuck is this other than typical pining for the old days?

What GW did in 'the old days' is what built this setting and game into the giant it is today.

People didnt flock to $33 clampack characters, web-bundle exclusive formations, and flavorless codexes. Thats the shit you do when you're riding the coat tails of those who came before you. And trying to squeeze as much $ out of what they did, while simultaneously shitting on all of it.
Maybe the old days are worth pining away for.
>>
>>44426762
The new models have just as much, if not more, character than the old ones.
>>
>>44426661
>Uh, why would it have any effect at all? In fact you could argue anew CSM codex would possibly complement BaC well considering all the Marines in MkIV armor you get.

Because if they were released within a few months of each other - many customers would have to choose between a BaC box/new HH army - or a CSM codex and related releases. Why update CSM when they can entice all those players disgruntled with the rules over to HH. Then once the 30k plastic dust settles, release CSM for 40k. Bringing those players back to their forgotten 40k chaos marines.
>>
File: 287.jpg (66 KB, 859x415) Image search: [Google]
287.jpg
66 KB, 859x415
>>44426813
not for everything
>>
>>44426813
No point in arguing opinions. Im sure we can both cite and post examples to support our perspective. I just hope you recognize yours as an opinion and not a fact. But this is /tg/, so probably not.
>>
File: 99120102050.jpg (56 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
99120102050.jpg
56 KB, 600x620
I really want Chaos Marine kit and Chosen kit in this style.
>>
>>44420685
>CHADS
>SPACE MARINES
>>
>>44427018
Loyalists are the Chads.
HH was really the beta uprising led by an Alpha who defected.
>>
File: 1417327339597.jpg (65 KB, 470x691) Image search: [Google]
1417327339597.jpg
65 KB, 470x691
>>44426762

Absolutely none of that has to do with the way models are designed.

That models are now designed using CAD is just the lame ass excuse trotted out when a person doesn't know why they don't like something and are afraid to say it without having a reason. CAD is merely a tool, nothing more.

>>44426837

In my view you could really say that about anything SM related, why release a new SM codex and kits when BaC is coming out a few months later? You'd also have to prove that there is an overlap between CSM players and those who play HH.

>>44426854

This is a conversion.

As far as the actual Steed goes, while the older one may have better motion, it's much worse in the detail department as far as I'm concerned.

A problem I have in general with the Slaanesh Daemon models sculpted by Juan Diaz is that people seem to like them simply because they give them a hard on and couldn't care less if they fit Slaanesh's aesthetics. They're not Slaanesh Daemons, they're generic succubi models with crab claws.
>>
>>44427060
Adeptus Chadstartes vs Beta Legion
Who will win this epic battle?
>>
>>44424498
What is interesting is how many armies updated in 2013 were subsequently updated again in 2015
>>
File: fatfuck.jpg (49 KB, 441x416) Image search: [Google]
fatfuck.jpg
49 KB, 441x416
>>44424148
>Tyranids

'they're in a good place'
>>
>>44424498

Considering you are counting the white dwarf codexes. Sisters of battle had one in 2001. It was in a chapter approved book. (old books which had themed army lists and a compilation of rules featured in WD magazines.)
>>
File: 449px-Servo-Skull-Front2.jpg (27 KB, 449x480) Image search: [Google]
449px-Servo-Skull-Front2.jpg
27 KB, 449x480
>>44424498
What happened in 2012? Apart from the end of the world of course
>>
>>44427110
>A problem I have in general with the Slaanesh Daemon models sculpted by Juan Diaz is that people seem to like them simply because they give them a hard on and couldn't care less if they fit Slaanesh's aesthetics. They're not Slaanesh Daemons, they're generic succubi models with crab claws.
That's no excuse for the awful design that the new daemonettes have.
>>
File: 1423640994379.jpg (65 KB, 455x679) Image search: [Google]
1423640994379.jpg
65 KB, 455x679
>>44430643

Awful in what way?

If you mean dynamics then that line of thought has merit. If you mean looks then you've made the mistake of thinking that Daemonettes are supposed to basically be pretty.

The models were apparently based on picture in my previous post which was done by Blanche.
>>
>>44426986

Chosen are already in that style, they're just snapfit
>>
>>44430906
>If you mean dynamics then that line of thought has merit.
This, mostly.
They're standing still for goodness sake!
Though i do prefer the nonugly models, since i prefer smexy models in general.

Also, the only thing blanche is good at (if not to say he mastered it) is to make even the most static situation look dynamic/moving and chaotic.
>>
>>44431817
Dark Vengence chosen don't count.
>>
>>44432955

#darkvengeancelivesmatter
>>
>>44433042
I got into 40k by my brother and I splitting Dark Vengence; I took the Chaos, he took the DA.

A year later, he still uses basically everything from his half of the box except the terminators. All I use is the cultists.

God I'm still angry about that.
>>
>>44421613
>Would you rather have a shit codex with shit characters you won't use

Considering that was basically the last two Chaos codices, I don't think time is a factor
>>
>>44425621
>Chaos stuff sells no matter what.

I think you hit the nail on the head.......they don't care because tehy don't have to yet.....they'll do something when sales dip
>>
>>44433042
this isnt even a real hash tag, asshole
>>
>>44426837
Or a fow army
Or a hordes army
Or a dystopian wars fleet
Etc
>>
>>44436409
>implying anyone would ever leave the Hobby
>>
>>44436409
>dystopian wars

Let's not kid ourselves.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.