[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
40k advice thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: 40k.jpg (58 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
40k.jpg
58 KB, 480x360
Getting into 40k after being out of it for about a decade. I had a bunch of Eldar models but back in the day i was more about painting than playing and winning, so i'm less experienced when it comes to rules/tactics/putting together a viable army list: I read the new eldar codex and rules and put together the following list, with the goal of building a 1000pt army to relearn the game with.

HQ: Farseer Skyrunner with spirit stone (135 pts)

Troops:

-6 windriders with scatter lasers- 162
-9 dire avengers +exarch with twinlinked catapult-145
-waveserpent-135

Heavy Support:

-Reapersx4 with starshot +exarch with EML-192

-Wraithlord with scatterlaser, ghostglaive and brightlance-160

That leaves me with 70 points to spare, My question is what do I do with it? I was thinking either add more windriders for more shots, I could add a warlock skyrunner to the windrider squad. or i could fill out my heavy support options with a single D cannon with a warlock attached to it. or I could perhaps add a spiritseer, although i'd be 10 points over.

Thoughts? also, general 40k advice thread, ask shit about painting and tactics here. I'll try to contribute as much as I can, although my knowledge base is outdated.
>>
Op here, the wave serpent has brightlances, a shuriken cannon and holo fields.
>>
>>44419422
why did you use the 40k General image if you're not making a 40k General?
>>
>>44419735

Didn't know that was the image, I forget where I found it but it wasnt here. Like I said I haven't gone near 40k in over a decade,
>>
>>44419422

It's Eldar. Eldar are so cheese heavy right now each Craftworld counts as a Creamery.
>>
>Leman Russ is the worst primarch
>Ultramarines are the best chapter
>Tau are glorious good guys
>Eldar are more Japanese that Tau
>Matt Ward was a good writer
>Newcrons are better than Oldcrons
>Abbaddon is a success
>Imperial Guard is useless
>Be'Lakor is stronger than the Chaos Gods
>Lorgar is the best traitor primarch
>Black Templars worship the Emperor as a God
>Dark Angels are closeted traitors
>Orks are just useless backdrop villains
There. That should offend just about every group.
>>
>>44419978
>>Orks are just useless backdrop villains
I mean it's not really wrong
>>
>>44419978
you forgot
>nids are the generic alien hive race and are the race to fight #2 for marine boys (behind orks)
There.
>>
>>44421948
To be fair nids are what spawned the flood and the zerg and the other generic shit.
>>
>>44419978
>>Eldar are more Japanese that Tau

But they are...
>>
File: 64a.png (134 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
64a.png
134 KB, 500x500
>>44419978
>Tau are glorious good guys
>Be'Lakor is stronger than the Chaos Gods

most of that list is true btw
>>
>>44419978
>>Leman Russ is the worst primarch

False

>>Ultramarines are the best chapter

Objectively true.

>>Tau are glorious good guys

Only the Enclave Tau.

>>Eldar are more Japanese that Tau

Eh...don't care enough.

>>Newcrons are better than Oldcrons

False and true at the same time. An inbetween solution would have worked better.

>>Abbaddon is a success

True

>>Imperial Guard is useless

Mostly true

>>Be'Lakor is stronger than the Chaos Gods

Not yet.

>>Lorgar is the best traitor primarch

Being relatable is used an a scale? Yes, it's true.

>>Black Templars worship the Emperor as a God

Literally who cares?

>>Dark Angels are closeted traitors

False.

>>Orks are just useless backdrop villains

True.
>>
How conversion-friendly are the Skitarii?
>>
>>44422556
If you can speak binary, very
>>
>>44419978
>CSM need new codex
>SoB models when?
> Ork codex makes me sad
> Nids not what they used to be
> eldar OP
> tau also OP
>necrons what do
>gw OVERPRICED

so heres the rest of 40k general in short summary, works for the rest of the week
>>
Is there a point yet to giving Firewarriors Pulse Carbines? I always thought they looked better than the rifles, and I like the idea of a squad of firewarrior piling out the back of a devilfish delta-style, but it looks like the Tau have some kind of shotgun unit now?
>>
>>44423663
> Where's my thread template
> Gw T'au wank
> Muh dead list thread
> Something something Multimeltas
> I2

Now that's out of the way, tell us about your last game. Any fudged rolls? Any notable encounters? Any actual good strategies that a noob could pick up?
>>
Posted this in the other thread. What is the best way to field a Defiler?
>>
I don't see a real 40k general up at a glance on my phone, so I'll ask here. Models and everything else being irrelevant, which edition is best edition to play? Preferably retain newcrons for the sake of my friend, but outside that, anything goes. Which edition?
>>
>>44427046

The rules are usually fine, its the players that take it too far and just break it in half.
>>
>>44424935
there is no good way
it is way too expensive and fragile
>>
Let's say I'd like to make an army of those nifty Space Ghosts marines, that can field devastators under elites. what's the most cost effective heavy weapon? taking transports for the troops would be a waste of points?
>>
>>44427046
People generally play the latest edition, 7th.
>>
>>44424935
>>44428276
More like "there isn't a best way to play CSM"
>>
>>44422179
i think you meant to say xenomorphs
>>
After losing my collection of miniatures, and seeing how relatively easy it would be to get into either Chaos marines or regular Marines through eBay, I've decided to start collecting again.

I was wondering through, how are Tactical squads best fielded in the latest edition; as Combat Squads or as a whole?

I haven't played since 5e, and I remember it was better to keep all ten in the same squad because you were basically giving your enemy free kill points for every five marines he killed, but does that hold true in the latest edition?
>>
how do I paint urban imperial guard?
>>
File: Urban camo.jpg (35 KB, 540x280) Image search: [Google]
Urban camo.jpg
35 KB, 540x280
>>44428527
This was from an old GW website article on painting where they would list the colors and such, but it used the old paint range, so you'll have to figure out which paints you want to use for it unfortunately.

I hope this helps.
>>
>>44428339
Yes, but the Defiler is near the bottom of the codex.
-A single battlecannon is not much, the other weapons do not help and make it even costlier.
-the model is really large so you can hardly hide it.
-In melee it is hampered by its low attack and I, if you ever get it there
-AV 12 12 10 5++ is rather fragile and can be hurt for example by krak grenades and plasmaguns.
and that for only ~200 pts. The Mauler/Forgefiends offer far better mileage
>>
>>44428491
As far as I understand, most people play objectives now, so kill points (aside from the one for first blood) aren't as relevant
>>
>>44419422
I'd say split your bikes into two squads
Drop the twin linked catapult for the power weapon and shimmer shield, invul for the unit is good
The Wraith lord will do better with dual bright lances, and it can't hurt to change the shuriken catapults for flamers, though you may not need to.
A bright lance on the wave serpent can help if you need more anti-tank

Would do well enough at low points.

>>44419907
If you don't take max scatter bike spam, every warlock ever, wraithknights and d weapons, it's actually still a good army. Problem is, faggots.

>>44424690
Not really, breachers now serve the role better. If pinning wasn't terribad, then they would be useful.

>>44424935
Main cannon, flamer, arms and run screaming at the enemy.

>>44427046
You're best off playing the new edition and just not playing against WAAC faggots

>>44428491
You can do a bunch of stuff with tacticals, there's really no wrong way to use them. Just combat squad as the situation requires and go.
>>
>>44429331
Are Warlocks really that bad?
>>
File: peanutbutter.gif (79 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
peanutbutter.gif
79 KB, 480x270
>>44419978
>Lorgar is the best traitor Primarch
>>
>>44430259
If spammed so hard you can literally down your opponent in warp charges, sadly that's fairly easy to do.
>>
File: Herald_of_Tzeentch.gif (384 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
Herald_of_Tzeentch.gif
384 KB, 500x269
>>44430530
>Play Mono Tzeentch Daemons
>Mfw 34 Warp Charges normally
>>
>>44431239
I used to play Tzeentch Beastmen back in fantasy, always fun to see a HE player's jaw drop when you dig out a double handful of powerdice.
>>
>>44424935
Field it as a Soul Grinder. Either ally it in through Daemons, or just run Daemonkin. Defilers are so bad nobody will hold it against you if you run the Defiler model as a Soul Grinder, as no sane person would field a Defiler.
>>
So.... Anyone tried out the new corsairs yet? I've been wanting to give them a go, just wondering if anyone has actually used the army.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.