[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
KANT-O-CELLE QUEST: THE CHOICE IS MADE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 113
You switch radio channels quickly. “Both of you shut the fuck up.”

“You little-” Kaga begins to snarl.

“KAGA!” you roar. The Japanese CV stiffens ramrod-straight out of pure military reflex. “You're talking to a ship that spent her whole war sitting offshore of big land bases and grinding them down with constant air attack - something Kido Butai was never capable of doing, I'll remind you. She's “forgotten” shit about continuous anti-land operations that “you never knew.”

Kaga betrays no emotion, but you detect a faint quiver in her jaw as she clenches her teeth.

“YEAH! SUCK IT, YOU ARROGANT TWAT! My airstrikes hit stuff that shoots back!”

Kaga sucks in a long, deep breath, and expels it over a four-count, reminding you of the focusing technique some martial artists like to use. (You never understood why they hissed at you before beginning matches - it never seemed to help them much.) “Very well. I at least advise great caution - we have friendly soldiers on the ground who are banking their lives on your support. The other fleet carrier has much more precise weapons than you or I ever had, so perhaps-”

“PERHAPS YOU SHOULD STUFF A TABI IN IT, TOGALORD!”

Kaga's mouth opens, and then closes as her mental gears are stripped halfway through parsing that statement.
>>
“Essex, let's just stay on-task. We need you to-”

“I DON'T NEED *YOU!*” she snaps back. “I've been doing this all my life. This isn't even my first time hitting this particular rock! Why don't you shove off and let me do my job?”

“Essex, I know everything's confusing right now, but I'm begging you to help us out here. We never expected to have a whole extra fleet carrier on-hand, if you could just-”

“NO!” she snaps. “I'm not trusting anyone that works with a tojo-trollop like Kaga or any other filthy backstabbing nip!

You see Goto's manic grin fall right off his face as he catches your glance. You mouth something to him that sends him diving for another headset in a hurry; the thing oft-feared but never encountered:

Rogue.
>>
File: bush.jpg (45 KB, 613x405) Image search: [Google]
bush.jpg
45 KB, 613x405
oh man this is going to a bad place now
>>
“Essex, I'm begging you,” you say hurriedly, watching the overhead plot as the Bush's CAP turns and arrows south-east towards the unsuspecting Essex - they're carrying four AMRAAMs and a pair of Mk-82s with long-delay fuzes for dropping on shallow subs or uninvited torpedo boats - but they'll work just fine against Essex's unarmored deck. “We need your help.”

“I don't care what you need!” she snaps back. “It looks like you have plenty of carriers here, if you got one with so little to do she can bitch and moan on the radio at her betters!”

“The HELL you say-”

“Sorry I can't hear you through those closed-in hangar decks, la-la-la-la~”

The four-plane CAP is dropping low and hitting the afterburner - they're going to do a low pass and loft the bombs. Sweat begins running down your face as you realize you're running out of time, here. “Essex, if you don't back off, you're going to be in a heap of trouble.”

“Whatever! The USS Essex has never met a foe she couldn't best! I took a kamakazie to the FACE! Come on, if you think you're hard enough!”

The F-18s are closing fast, the shock diamonds in their exhaust leaving a visible wake on the smooth water as they thunder in. They're intending to buzz; to demonstrate what she's up against, but if she's foolish enough to open up with five-inch flak or something as they come in -

“Uh, Admiral Spoopy, I'm really sorry can you talk right now please?”

You blink. “Uh-”

“GUYS! There's TWO DOZEN uglies bleeding SAINT MOTHERFUCKING ELMO'S FIRE out of their GODLESS EYES and I am NOT equipped to fight underwater contacts! PLEASE ADVISE!”

Hamp empties his Starbucks with a long, loud rattling sip. “Man,” he exclaims. “I am LOVING this fleet!”
>>
File: kata take a dirtnap.png (54 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
kata take a dirtnap.png
54 KB, 330x330
THAT IS ALL FROM ME FOR TONIGHT! By Wednesday I'll probably have my sleep cycle all fucked up proper again and I'll be running till 3AM on weekdays just to make you all hate me!

NOW, PLEASE STAND BY

FOR THE

NEXT

NAKA-TIME
>>
>>44417966
[ ] ABORT ABORT PASS
>>
>>44417966
Thats what you get for being a cheeky cunt you bitch.
You fucking EARN your place in this fleet.
>>
>>44417966
I am losing track of who's talking at the end there
>>44418014
Cheers boss, it was fun
>>
>>44418014
You know, normally I'm the calm one about this stuff. But fuck your damn cliff hangers, I really want more of this damn it.
>>
File: 54c95af3a5c48b680c7d3bdcaa3eb8b9.jpg (843 KB, 1191x1684) Image search: [Google]
54c95af3a5c48b680c7d3bdcaa3eb8b9.jpg
843 KB, 1191x1684
>>44418014
Night Planefag! Oh yeah one last Musashi.
>>
>>44417966
>“GUYS! There's TWO DOZEN uglies bleeding SAINT MOTHERFUCKING ELMO'S FIRE out of their GODLESS EYES and I am NOT equipped to fight underwater contacts! PLEASE ADVISE!”
There's nothing like a common enemy to bring us all together.
>>
File: 1433948383536.jpg (37 KB, 348x342) Image search: [Google]
1433948383536.jpg
37 KB, 348x342
>>44418014
>>
>>44417966
>“GUYS! There's TWO DOZEN uglies bleeding SAINT MOTHERFUCKING ELMO'S FIRE out of their GODLESS EYES and I am NOT equipped to fight underwater contacts! PLEASE ADVISE!”

A N A L

N

A

L
>>
File: welcome to australia.webm (710 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
welcome to australia.webm
710 KB, 480x480
>>44418014
shit's bananas again
it feels like coming home
>>
>>44418014
Thanks for running. This was an amusing one.
>>
File: 1395902926369.png (52 KB, 202x239) Image search: [Google]
1395902926369.png
52 KB, 202x239
>>44418014
Well, this is certainly interesting
>>
-----

"How bad?"

Jintsuu breezes into the room without stopping as you and Wainwright look up, the 'doctor' reflexively stepping forward to cover you, shooting you a wary look.

"It's fine," you reassure him. "I texted her."

"More secrets?" She snaps, expression hardening as she glares at Wain--Wayne--who bravely stands his ground.

"No," you insist firmly. "No more secrets. It's not his fault I'm a dumbass."

Your sister looks from face to face, slowly letting her anger down with a long, deep breath. "Whatever. So how. Bad. Is it?"

Wain side-eyes her for a moment before turning back to you, kipped up on his operating table. "It could be a lot worse."

"You said you were puking oil."

"Puked," you correct, still weary, still woozy from... before. "Singular."

"Why?" Under the brimming anger, you can see the desperation--the frustration--in her features, as she crosses over and stands beside you, examining the small tube Wayne pushed in, just under your collarbone.

"Because Chicken Stupid over here," Wayne replies, matching her bullshit fatigue with his own, "got herself shot with a 127 millimeter gun. And didn't tell anybody."

You hold up a hand (heading off Jintsuu raising her own to slap your shit again). This time, you meet her glare with your own. "It had to happen. I'll tell you later."

"Bull--"

"I will tell you later," you repeat, slowly and purposefully, glare unbroken. Exhaling through her nose again, Jintsuu relents.

"Fine. Yes, you will. So that's what it was? You got into a fight with your room and lost--again--"

Ouch. "Damn, Jintsuu," you mutter.

"I'm allowed. So, it was really just--"
>>
>>44417966

Cunt.

Essex ye cunt.
>>
>>44418095
Yay, Wainwright!
>>
File: naka's yard.jpg (49 KB, 350x434) Image search: [Google]
naka's yard.jpg
49 KB, 350x434
yay nakatiem
>>
File: 41998264.jpg (164 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
41998264.jpg
164 KB, 600x600
"Internal bleeding, yes," Wain says, jiggling the bag of cold, dark fluid extracted from your side. "You breached something. Nothing major--for a change--but it was pooling in there. I can't find any structural faults from this side of you, so we're just going to have to let it shore itself and run the drainage tube."

Jintsuu closes her eyes in--in naked relief, and her furious presence seems to practically shrink from the room. God, she really is too good for you. But...

"But why is it cold?" You ask, reluctantly. Jintsuu's eyes fly back open.

"...I don't know," Wain admits with a sigh. "Thirty-five degrees Fahrenheit, almost on the dot... and not warming up." He hefts the bag of oil again, wiping condensation off the clear lining. "I've been draining for a half hour, and it's just as cold as when I started."

Jintsuu has gone very, very quiet at that--which is so, so much worse than her anger.

"There's good news, at least," you reply, trying to fill the silence as you pry the last of your old bandages off. "I've started healing again. Look, it already scabbed over." Wain leans in, bringing a calloused hand to your collar... and flaking off the reddish gunk with his thumb.

"No, Naka," he says, his voice very small. "That's rust."
>>
File: 40473690.png (490 KB, 597x800) Image search: [Google]
40473690.png
490 KB, 597x800
Wain takes Jintsuu aside as you dress up again, his voice hushed, hers high and angry.

"--do you MEAN, there's nothing we can do?!" She snaps.

You frown, adjusting your collar as you slide off the bed and around the privacy barrier. You take Jintsuu's hand and hold it tight as she tries to wrest it away halfheartedly. A moment later, she hangs her head, squeezing your hand as she starts to shake.

Wain nods at you in silent appreciation--it feels strange, taking this so much better than her, but really, what the fuck is there to think or say or do about this? "Naka already agreed to come in every day so I can keep tabs on her, but... this has never happened before. I have no idea what happens next."

"If--if you had told me something was--"

"What was he supposed to do? He's a medical professional, Jintsuu," you murmur, lifting your ailing arm to run through her hair. "I'm sorry."

Her head snaps up, gripping your hand painfully tight. "No, you're--" She balks as she meets your eyes, ready at last for her.

"Yes, I am," you say firmly, letting your arm fall loosely around her shoulder to pull into a hug. "You can be angry with me. It's justified."

"...You should tell Harder," she mutters into your side, making your heart jump.

"No!" You exclaim. "He won't--not yet."

She breaks the hug to fix you with a sulking glower. "You should. He deserves to know."

"...I will," you promise. "I just--not now. Please, not now. I don't..." you swallow. "I don't know if I could handle it."

She jabs you in the side as she comes in for another embrace. "You've been obsessed with him since you used his balls as an airbag," she growls, earning a choked laugh from Wainwright.
>>
>>44418178
>"But why is it cold?" You ask, reluctantly. Jintsuu's eyes fly back open.
>"...I don't know," Wain admits with a sigh. "Thirty-five degrees Fahrenheit, almost on the dot... and not warming up." He hefts the bag of oil again, wiping condensation off the clear lining. "I've been draining for a half hour, and it's just as cold as when I started."
spooky
>>
"Is she single?" he asks, and she looks up to shoot him a wry, still half-mad smirk while you fume.

"I have not," you snap. "He was going after the destroyers and--"

"Things escalated, right." Jintsuu says with a catlike smirk. "You push everyone away, the fact that you didn't immediately just kip up and do a song and dance number for him--"

"You jumped out a window!" You interrupt, while Wain tries and fails to not look terribly amused, earning another glare from you.

"I'm your older sister, I can tell. You've got a thing for the little anchovy."

"Older or not, I've been back longer than--" you balk. "Anchovy?"

"Small, salty, no one likes him on pizza."

Wain is no longer able to hide his laughter, and Jintsuu starts in as well. Despite your best efforts, you feel a contagious smirk starting to overcome your own stoic grump.

"All Sendai-class girls are insane," he declares. "That must be it."

"I say we hook him up with Sendai," you mutter darkly. "There's your revenge on him, Jintsuu."

"No time for revenge. I'm already busy babysitting you and enspidering Hate's life," she declares.

"I've been meaning to ask--the fuck is up with that?" you ask.

"Actually, I was going to ask your help. Want to go hash it out over lunch?"
>>
File: 1432869768265.gif (448 KB, 214x156) Image search: [Google]
1432869768265.gif
448 KB, 214x156
>>44418178
>"That's rust."
Oh jesus.
>>
>>44418178
>"No, Naka," he says, his voice very small. "That's rust."

Naka.

Naka.

Pls no.
>>
>>44417966
NEXT THREAD
ESSEX BEGGING AND PLEADING WITH THE FILTHY JAPS FOR HELP FROM THE SPOOKY ABYSSALS
>>
File: 1443317286320.jpg (189 KB, 693x530) Image search: [Google]
1443317286320.jpg
189 KB, 693x530
You find yourself grinning at that. It took everything that's happened so far, but you finally have something resembling a real sibling relationship with Jintsuu.

You follow her out, giving Wainwright one last nod over your shoulder--but the smile's already fading from his face, the light dimming in his eyes. Your own mirth--a distraction from reality, slapped over it like a thin coat of paint--starts to go with it.

You can't help but feel like you're on your way out.

-----
>>
>>44418252
no
naka
just no
>>
File: 46086615_p3_master1200.jpg (875 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
46086615_p3_master1200.jpg
875 KB, 900x1200
"I need to talk to you," you say flatly.

"Of...of course, sister. What is it?" Sendai asks.

You tilt your chin toward the space between the supply shed and the storage building behind it. "In private."

She tries to regain her composure, mustering her stern, decisive older sister attittude... which plinks right off your forehead as your scowl deepens. Still, she tries to power on. "Anything you have to tell me can be said--"

"This is for your benefit," you almost growl, stalking past her and waiting in the alley. After a moment, she follows after. "Thank you. Now... What in the FUCK are you teaching my squadron?"

She blinks. "I was... attempting to be..." she pauses for a moment before she raises two gloved hands in airquotes. "'kid-friendly.'"

You folds your arms and stare a hole in her so intensely your eyes start to hurt. Her attempted smile turns sheepish, then droops limp entirely.

"...Did I err?" she asks softly.

"I don't care if you tried juggling type 93s for them, I'm talking about your... doctrine."

"It played out successfully in action, did it--"

"No," you spit. "It did not."

Sendai raises her voice. "Sister, my successful operation tally speaks--"

"To the score of the losing team in another war," you cut her off harshly. "Why did we lose?"

"...There simply wasn't enough anything," she manages after a moment. "Not enough men, not enough oil, not enough--"

"Not enough metal. Not enough ships. Not against the United States, not against any country bigger than an island chain in the Pacific. And YOU--" You jab a finger at her collar. "Want to go back to all-or-nothing tactics when we should have always conserved what little we had."
>>
>>44418178
>Naka has shipslut cancer
Lewd irresponsible living has done this
>>
>>44418178

>cold and rusting

So...

Is that Abyssalfying or just dying?
>>
File: 1441939109095.png (920 KB, 1127x1151) Image search: [Google]
1441939109095.png
920 KB, 1127x1151
"You coddle them, Naka! They are destroyers! They are meant for the close press and--"

"Stop. Just shut up and listen for a quadrillosecond, okay?" You snap.

Sendai listens.

"Thank you. You might get somewhere with the Americans--Sammy loved you to death, I hear--but that's because they aren't built around Long Lances."

"WE are built around Long Lances," Sendai replies hotly. "And I employed my doctrine--"

"To your end. I was the last to go, remember? Jintsuu, you... then me." That quiets her outrage, and cools your anger. "The night is nobody's friend, Sendai. Vella Gulf, the Americans hit us with our own trick." Better, as they tended to. Fuck 1943. "And... even if it did work, they're more than ships now."

"They are still warships," Sendai says. "We cannot deny them that."

"We can help them without denying them a tomorrow, Sendai," you push. "Have you ever seen them walking around like they're already dead?"

"...No," she admits quietly.

"Any setback hits them so hard--most bounce back, but...they're vulnerable. Fragile. Do you understand?"

"...I suppose. Forgive me for overstepping my bounds and presuming to countermand your instruction, Naka."

You wave it off, turning to leave. "Yeah. I don't mind you helping, you know how to press. Maybe we can teach them--together--tomorrow?"

Sendai follows behind, her footsteps swishing rhythmically after yours. "I...think I would like that."

"Shigure might be there too," you add as an afterthought. "I gave her an invitation to come see... me."

You turn at the sudden silence behind you--Sendai has stopped, an uncomfortable look on her face.
>>
>>44418226
>enspidering Hate's life," she declares.
Well that explains where the spiders are coming from, but why are they doing it if he doesn't care?
>>
>>44418229
a ship without rusty streaks all down the sides is a ship where somebody fucked up and got handed a paintbrush.
>>
File: shigure hell.jpg (69 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
shigure hell.jpg
69 KB, 850x850
"...I do not think I can do that, sister," she mutters. "I--I do not wish to see her again."

You find yourself grabbing two fistfuls of her scarf and yanking yourself up to meet her eyes in a flash. "She does not need your shit right now, Sendai. You don't seriously believe in that luck garbage, do you?"

"Of course not," she says, looking away. "It is merely..."

You give her a sharp shake. "What?"

"...My first memory was of her. And also my last." You don't let go, eyeing her darkly until she draws a breath and closes her eyes. "The first thing I remember is the sound of the alarms, the shouts. The pain. Signaling her to approach me. I was... fatally struck. And I wanted her to take on my crew."

"So? Fucking SO?" you spit.

"I... showed weakness. I faltered in the face of a death I should have accepted. I..." Tears brim at the corners of her eyes. "I do not wish to be confronted with a reminder of that."

Oh.

Well.
>>
File: shigure lone survivor.png (864 KB, 510x800) Image search: [Google]
shigure lone survivor.png
864 KB, 510x800
"That is just TOO GOD DAMN BAD!" you roar, shoving her backwards as she looks up, stunned. "Fuck you. FUCK you," you seethe, decorum and subtlety forgotten. "How dare you make this about you?"

"N-Naka--"

"What do you think a destroyer IS, Sendai?" you demand, Sendai shrinking against the wall as you stomp back toward her.

"A--"

You cut her off. "Let me answer this one for you, since you apparently have kunai in your ears. A destroyer... is your REPLACEMENT."

She stares, mouth open in shock, surprise, and hurt. Guess that's both of you dropping your masks for this little chat.

"The moment Fubuki rolled off the line, you and I were scrap. The modern destroyer has all the strategic firepower we do at half the weight and higher speed--from a nation with limited resources before the war was even on."

"O-our guns--"

"Secondary. Practically pointless, except for anti-air. We are at best hit-and-run raiders. You know that--you were built before me, you damn well should!"

"I--I don't accept that. We saw--"

"We saw the life and death of our future," you hiss. "I don't care if you accept the truth, it doesn't change a damn thing. All your little sneak attacks, all your guts-and-glory bullshit, Japan still wanted a decisive battle--that neither of us would ever have had a place in."

"W-we were still--"

"We did our best. You did it yours, I did it mine, and it got us both to the same place. 'Having the heart of a lion is no excuse for a head full of straw,' right? So answer me this, Sendai. Do you think those destroyers exist to support YOU?"

She remains quiet for almost ten seconds before murmuring a response, eyes squeezed shut. "...No."
>>
>>44418320
It helps her feel better about it, and it says much of her rather kind nature that the worse she could do is spiders.
>>
>>44418314
>Better, as they tended to. Fuck 1943.
[EAGLE SCREECHES BUILD TO A CRESCENDO]
>>
"YOU exist to support THEM. Right now, that means sacking the fuck up and being there for them. We're--the last thing we have is our guidance. We can teach them. We can HELP them. Both with war and with--with being alive."

You continue to glare until she finally opens her eyes--still teary--and manages a faint nod. "I understand, Naka." Then, she pauses and manages a meager smile. "...'sack up?'"

"...I've been hanging around the Americans too much," you grumble.
>>
>>44418351
>the worse she could do is spiders.

If it was anyone but Hate that would be pretty bad honestly. But Hate, well he just has a way with... well everything.
>>
THAT'S IT FOR NAKATIME, FOLKS! Floor is open for any other writefags~
>>
>>44418427
Fuck.
Sendai a cute.
Jintsuu an adorable.
Naka... fuuuuuuuck.
>>
Very nice!

Thanks for running guys.
>>
>>44418427
can you clarify who was speaking at the end of your post?
>>
HOW QUICKLY THE TIDE TURNS eh Essex?

>>44418427
2cute. Thanks for the thread Deme.
>>
>>44418458
Essex
>>
File: PhotoGraf with Rig (Lex).png (3 MB, 5000x8000) Image search: [Google]
PhotoGraf with Rig (Lex).png
3 MB, 5000x8000
Guten tag!

James told me I should place this here, for all you wonderful people to read~

Presenting the final installment of my solo adventures, 'TeleGraf Funf: Great Mistakes'.

http://pastebin.com/vET4W1Jq
>>
>>44418446
I'd fuck 'er too, anon
>>
File: Graf Damaged (Mudhen).jpg (604 KB, 848x1200) Image search: [Google]
Graf Damaged (Mudhen).jpg
604 KB, 848x1200
Better drop this off before Graf hunts me down...
>>
File: even barry is afraid.png (654 KB, 800x484) Image search: [Google]
even barry is afraid.png
654 KB, 800x484
>>44418383
Yelling at people is scary af but damn is it not cathartic.

Good thing it was in private. Everyone's face when it isn't.
>>
>>44418511

J-James! Didn't I tell you not to show that in public?! W-what will people say?!
>>
>>44418511
Parker... what did you do man?!

Also, god bless our drawfags.
>>
Cold oil, rust. Maybe side effects from how she spooked Shigure by toeing the edge of the abyss? Setting aside her humanity, which she had a tenuous grasp on before, just leaves the ship behind
>>
>>44418446
naka faces the grim reality that she's a trash drop in a gachapon machine, that doing her best won't help.
>>
>>44418480
Any chances of the Graf Spee stuff being made public? I missed some previous installments.
>>
>>44418587
There's always spacebattles
>>
>>44418587
this please, I missed some as well.
>>
>>44418615
No, fuck SB/SV with rakes.
>>
>>44418427
WHO IS ESSEX
WHY DOES SHE USE THE MEMES
>>
>>44418587
Check the links in >>44414925; they're part of the Chief Parker compilation-post.

>>44418480
>readan TeleGraf Funf
Goddammit, Liverpool.
Goddammit, funfun....
>dem feels
>>
File: PhotoGraf (Lex).png (2 MB, 4000x4700) Image search: [Google]
PhotoGraf (Lex).png
2 MB, 4000x4700
Well, James prefers to keep his correspondence secure from 'prying eyes', but you should be able to find everything here: http://pastebin.com/bz0MPTyU

As for the parts concerning your truly, you can find them here:

TeleGraf me, maybe (He did!): http://pastebin.com/A03VzSuf
TeleGraf Zwei - Language Barrier: http://pastebin.com/XKeL4Z8B
TeleGraf Zwei, part zwei - the Fulda Gap (I don't get that reference, James.): http://pastebin.com/8kipu9A9
TeleGraf Drei - Sounds from the Deep: http://pastebin.com/LwhzMXCz
TeleGraf Vier - You Must Gather Your Party...: http://pastebin.com/cJ0bAACd
>>
File: Sanity.jpg (32 KB, 300x230) Image search: [Google]
Sanity.jpg
32 KB, 300x230
New writefag reporting.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vYtKQ_mY3EmNekAR2LgFsxM5FMFOMLWbIKoMuiXPiq8/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>44418747
Thank you, ma'am. o>
>>
File: doublemio.jpg (28 KB, 541x399) Image search: [Google]
doublemio.jpg
28 KB, 541x399
>>44418730
>>
File: A weapon to surpass Kongou Dess.jpg (2 MB, 1700x1200) Image search: [Google]
A weapon to surpass Kongou Dess.jpg
2 MB, 1700x1200
Didn't have a reason to post this in the last thread but here's the weapon to Surpass Kongou Dess
>>
File: Sweating Catte.png (177 KB, 754x754) Image search: [Google]
Sweating Catte.png
177 KB, 754x754
>>44418730
>they don't know

>>44418815
>our months of planning will soon pay off.
>>
File: isokaze kimono.png (648 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
isokaze kimono.png
648 KB, 1080x1920
>>44418383
I'm feeling a complex feel right now.
>>
>Iowa remembers her entire service career
>Essex forgets a whole 30 years of her service life and is ultra-anti jap AMERICA boat spouting memes

why
>>
>>44418961
Shipslut magic

or maybe Essex is just a gigantic racist asshole
>>
>>44418961
It'll probably come back to her. Hopefully.
>>
File: 3M_Cubitron_advert.webm (3 MB, 654x548) Image search: [Google]
3M_Cubitron_advert.webm
3 MB, 654x548
>>44418178
CLANG
L
A
N
G
>>
>>44418977

It'll come back to her or we'll wack it into her.

With extra servings of IJN DDs.
>>
>>44418961
>why
Planefag probably thought she got scrapped after the war. We've already seen how much effort he puts into research.
>>
File: ara ara.jpg (2 MB, 1858x1069) Image search: [Google]
ara ara.jpg
2 MB, 1858x1069
every thread, dammit
>>
>>44418961
maybe she's just a cunt. I mean disobeying a superior officer while surrounded by said officer's ships?
>>
File: 1450105560148.jpg (56 KB, 469x505) Image search: [Google]
1450105560148.jpg
56 KB, 469x505
>>44418961
>one has an intact hull
>the other literally just woke up in the middle of a firefight

>>44418974
>just a gigantic racist asshole

I'd post the picture of Japanese soldiers catching a baby on a bayonet but I don't feel like getting banned so I'll let you google it yourself.
>>
File: 1449114547847.jpg (64 KB, 780x589) Image search: [Google]
1449114547847.jpg
64 KB, 780x589
Geez, is that it?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (20 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
20 KB, 1280x720
>>44419001
>How many turrets do you see?
>>
File: japanese warcrimes.jpg (47 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
japanese warcrimes.jpg
47 KB, 800x600
>>44419008
>>
>>44418961

Essex was decomissihoned in 1947 the recomissioned in 51 maybe she only has the first half of her lifes memories?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Essex_%28CV-9%29
>>
File: ara ara~.jpg (427 KB, 1115x775) Image search: [Google]
ara ara~.jpg
427 KB, 1115x775
>>44419003
>>
File: 1450171591799.gif (404 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1450171591799.gif
404 KB, 400x225
>>44419001
>We've already seen how much effort he puts into research.

When YOU try jerking off in a large metal locker without touching the walls just to better understand the life of the average sailor, maybe you'll have a leg to stand on, anon!
>>
>>44419008
So lack of getting it together due to the situation?

Wouldn't she be equipped with Early jets?
>>
File: pic unrelated.png (238 KB, 684x1000) Image search: [Google]
pic unrelated.png
238 KB, 684x1000
…It’s dark. Cold. Heavy.

Somehow, these sensations feel familiar, yet also alien. Like the memory is there, somewhere, but I’m looking at it from a different point of view. Not that I remember much, anyway. At least I can move a little. It’s… a relative I haven’t seen in years, and who has changed much over that time away. Like that.

That comparison seems odd for some reason as well. But I don’t know why. In fact, I don’t really know anything right now, other than my name. And that I’m underwater. How am I breathing? Why is breathing unfamiliar?

And someone, somewhere, is saying that name. I *know* it’s mine. I try to reach out to them, but I’ve forgotten how. How do I communicate with them? How do I form words? How do I make contact? And why can't I answer them? I want to remember how to talk to them. But I don’t even know how to remember!

My name. That’s all I know. They’re calling it, and I can’t answer them because I’ve forgotten how to speak. Why?! What’s the point of me being here if I can’t even do anything other than… swim? I’m not supposed to be underwater, either, right?

… This sense of melancholy ennui is trying to smother me. Why did I wake up, just to find out I can’t remember how to do anything? Why am I even here? Part of me wants to curl up and go back to sleep – that’s another new one – but something burning inside me tells me to keep trying. That there’s a reason I’m here. *Come on*, I urge myself; try to remember! Just close your eyes, and *pull yourself together*!

Huh. Eyes. I have eyes. I don’t remember having eyes before; I remember seeing things, but the same comparisons as before are being made. Well, no, maybe I didn’t even see things so much as… feel them? Sense them? How did I do that, again? Like a sixth sense?

Oh, yes. Right. Close my eyes, calm down, and gather myself. I can do that. Just close my… eyes… take a deep… breath... and focus.
>>
File: tojo is pleased.png (265 KB, 384x533) Image search: [Google]
tojo is pleased.png
265 KB, 384x533
>>44419035
NANKING NOT TRUE!
LIES! LIES OF GOOK!
>>
File: jap warcrimes.gif (981 KB, 1064x589) Image search: [Google]
jap warcrimes.gif
981 KB, 1064x589
>>44418974
>>
>>44419008
>Hamp wakes up in the middle of an actual surface action with enemy ships all around
>doesn't engage the Jap CA's in his immediate vicinity, or even ask what they're doing there

well, okay
>>
File: JOHNSTON COUNTER ATTACKS.jpg (376 KB, 1169x470) Image search: [Google]
JOHNSTON COUNTER ATTACKS.jpg
376 KB, 1169x470
>>
Wow, uh… I didn’t think I would actually have to *gather myself*. But it looks like I have to pull myself together. Literally. After all, I’m broken.

Again, I mean that literally. I am broken. My body is scattered across the entire world. Dismantled. I can feel it in my bones. Somehow. I’ve always had a skeleton, right?

Well, that would explain a lot, actually. However, why would somebody do that to me? Was I a bad person? Was I a dangerous thing?

The cognitive dissonance comes back, as I try to rationalize why I’m thinking of myself as both a person and a thing. I know I’m *some* kind of entity, so I can’t be a thing. Things don’t think. But I was taken apart. How? Why? Something doesn’t add up.

I try to call out to those parts of me, but nobody answers. That’s because I still can’t figure out how to call out. It’s somehow more complicated than opening my mouth and forming words. And that, too, is an old thing seen through a different lens.

Can I even reach those pieces here? I focus on them, and I feel *something*, but…

…I can’t do it.

It’s not that I can’t reach those pieces of my body. I’m sure I can if I try very hard.

But more importantly, I *shouldn’t*. Suddenly ripping parts of myself out of everything would almost certainly hurt, or even kill, many people. Many people who aren’t my enemy, and don’t deserve to die.

Okay, I have enemies. That’s new. I don’t remember who they are, though, because *apparently* I can’t become whole again without causing catastrophic amounts of harm!

WHERE are my goddamn MEMORIES?! I try to reach out. To find them. I NEED them! Even if I can’t do anything, please give me some answers!

Then, they reveal themselves to me after… something. Something weird in my head. I can’t explain it, but I can see them. Bits and pieces of my memories, shining like a starry night’s reflection on placid waters.

Only they’re far, far below me. And I’m already underwater.
>>
>>44419073
hamp isn't a meme spouting shitlord
>>
File: alrightythen.gif (2 MB, 250x205) Image search: [Google]
alrightythen.gif
2 MB, 250x205
>>44419073
>everyone consistently failing to make - or remember - the exact circumstances of his return as it relates to Settle
>>
>>44419073
he literally is
>>
File: it's seasonal I guess.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1697) Image search: [Google]
it's seasonal I guess.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1697
I open my eyes again, still able to see them. Is this my mind’s eye? Or something else entirely? Maybe I’ll know when they return.

Again, I try to call out. To resonate with them. To make them come to me. But they do nothing. No response of any sort.

And that just *pisses* me *off*! Fine, if you won’t come to me, I’ll come to you! I let myself sink deeper, and grab at those fragments as I pass by them. Clutching them close, like they would fall to the depths if I don’t hold on tight.

I have some now, but how do I use them? Do I eat them? Do I rub them against my forehead?

….AAAGH! My patience for this is wearing VEEERY thin! I want my memories back *now*, dammit! Tell me your secrets, you bothersome bauble, or I’ll CRACK YOU RIGHT OPEN!

…Hang on. That was something right there. I feel closer to being whole now, somehow. Even if my body remains scattered to the four corners of the earth, my mind is finally piecing itself back together. I’m remembering things. Not just names, or dates, but important things.

Accolades. Acclaim! *Awards*! A constellation of stars dots an imaginary sky, ribbons and medals becoming nebulae and galaxies! The Presidential Unit Citation! All of it immortalizing ME, and my most extraordinary accomplishments! I get it now. I know more than my name. I know who I *really* am!

And with most of that knowledge back, the source of my discomfort is revealed to me at last: I was a warship! An aircraft carrier! I was *the* aircraft carrier of the Second World War! I daresay I *won* that war!

Now, for some reason, I am a person. I’m not a thing anymore. I’m not scrap metal. So I never needed to take my parts back in the first place. But… how exactly? And why?

…AAAAAAAAAGH! ENOUGH of this existential exposition! I can figure that out *later*! Right now, *someone* is calling for me! And I *finally* remember how to work the radio! I can worry about the memories I didn’t grab LATER!
>>
File: trollharp.jpg (32 KB, 323x404) Image search: [Google]
trollharp.jpg
32 KB, 323x404
Oh, would you look at that. Writefaggotry from a writefag all about Essex's scattered memories. Almost like it was planned in advance or something.

What are the odds?
>>
>>44419151
Well played, aeroqueer
>>
>>44419151
You played us like a damn fiddle? Or harp?
>>
>>44419151

That'd imply you plan.
>>
File: ESSEX.jpg (346 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ESSEX.jpg
346 KB, 1280x720
>>44419151
im on to you faggot
>>
File: double nigger.jpg (56 KB, 570x526) Image search: [Google]
double nigger.jpg
56 KB, 570x526
>>44419151
you're a double nigger, you know that?
>>
File: 013933l.jpg (1 MB, 3500x2864) Image search: [Google]
013933l.jpg
1 MB, 3500x2864
>>44419151
you just wanted another meme boat, didn't you

be honest here
>>
File: xanatos_schemes-sized.jpg (43 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
xanatos_schemes-sized.jpg
43 KB, 640x480
>>44419151
Well played.
>>
>>44419197
>Devastators
>F3Fs
I presume that photo was taken before 1940?
>>
File: cv-9b2.jpg (63 KB, 640x476) Image search: [Google]
cv-9b2.jpg
63 KB, 640x476
>>44419064
>Wouldn't she be equipped with Early jets?

F-2 Banshees as her fighters, but Corsairs were retained as the primary ship-board attack plane well into the Korean war. The Corsair had so much fucking engine power it could lug a bomb-load comparable to an SBD; they added a dorsal airbrake and combined that control with one that lowered the landing gear (for further use as a dive brake,) and viola, it was a dive-bomber that was still a high-powered fighter after dumping its load. Pretty impressive shit.

The long range of the Corsair compared to early jets, the high durability to ground fire and the heavy payload it could sling kept the Corsair relevant as the primary ground-attack plane in Korea for the entire war.

One reason I brought Essex in was to have a cold war era carrier to play with; it's one of the reasons I timed Shoukaku's introduction to CATOBAR the way I did.

Pic related - you can (just barely) see Banshees on deck, and the folded wings and props of Corsairs parked aft.
>>
File: 1449532352442.gif (869 KB, 382x360) Image search: [Google]
1449532352442.gif
869 KB, 382x360
>>44419151
Like a goddamn fiddle and they have no idea what we've done.
>>
File: unimpressed.webm (206 KB, 858x720) Image search: [Google]
unimpressed.webm
206 KB, 858x720
>>44419151
>>
>>44419172
>That'd imply you plan.

choose

the form

of the destructor
>>
>>44419257
Neat.jpg
>>
File: bert.jpg (33 KB, 443x1064) Image search: [Google]
bert.jpg
33 KB, 443x1064
>>44419197

This choice? This choice wasn't mine.
>>
>>44419257

Does that mean the shoukaku kai'2 gonna be a thing?
>>
>>44419257
Wouldn't she be using Skyraiders instead?

They replaced the few remaining Corsairs really quickly.
>>
File: 1366348248268.png (268 KB, 464x375) Image search: [Google]
1366348248268.png
268 KB, 464x375
>>44419297
THEN WHO'S WAS IT?!
>>
>>44419261

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q2mLNAiU4Y

us right now
>>
>>44418793
Didn't think I'd need to clarify this with this fanbase of all fanbases, but: comments, critique, feedback are all welcome and appreciated. They help me improve.

Shoulda said that with my initial post, didn't. Like an idiot.
>>
>>44419297

>THIS BOAT

>THIS BOAT WAS MADE FOR ME
>>
>>44419297
what do you mean

you coordinate this shit to some extent, dont you?
>>
File: 8706354.jpg (91 KB, 397x600) Image search: [Google]
8706354.jpg
91 KB, 397x600
>>44417884
Alright! USS Essex! New shipgirl! Seems like crazy fun!

Oh wait, she's not really all there is she...

Uh, blatantly ignoring direct orders from an Admiral, I have a bad feeling about this....

All but declared "rogue" on the command net...

This is gonna go bad, really bad, really quickly isn't it?

Can't wait for the next run!!!

pic unrelated, ran into the Tone Sisters the other day.
>>
File: shower glock.jpg (52 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
shower glock.jpg
52 KB, 600x800
>>44419277
>>
>>44419351

Not recently, apparently...
>>
File: SPIDER PLAYING BONGOS.gif (496 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
SPIDER PLAYING BONGOS.gif
496 KB, 360x360
>>44419277
>>
>>44419361

More pics.

More thighs, more legs.

Pics.

Post em all.
>>
>>44419365
That just seems impractical
>>
>>44419277
Fuck, I remember that thread but I can't find it.
>>
File: 1451167925718.jpg (56 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
1451167925718.jpg
56 KB, 704x480
>>44419326

ni~paaaaah~

>>44419322

Not really bro, they were used throughout Korea. Skyraiders served concurrently. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_F4U_Corsair#Korean_War
>>
File: 1398722718818.gif (337 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1398722718818.gif
337 KB, 420x420
>>44419334
>>44419297
>>44419326
>>44419277
Anons, you chose this.
You chose this months ago.
We are simply delivering what you asked for.
>>
>>44419412
yeah, as a nightfighter
>>
>>44419424

That was a big reason for it. The Norks were using plenty of La-5s and La-7s given to them as freebies by Papa Stalin; the only Corsair ace of the war bagged several of 'em. The Skyraider was an incredible ground-attack bomb truck, but it was no fighter.
>>
>>44419407
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/43601149/
>>
File: 1434693969019.jpg (139 KB, 600x404) Image search: [Google]
1434693969019.jpg
139 KB, 600x404
>>44419277
>>
File: none of this matters.jpg (113 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
none of this matters.jpg
113 KB, 1280x720
>>44419451
>not even using the right one

faggot
>>
File: taihou ready for lewds.png (399 KB, 700x990) Image search: [Google]
taihou ready for lewds.png
399 KB, 700x990
>>44419062
>When YOU try jerking off in a large metal locker without touching the walls just to better understand the life of the average sailor, maybe you'll have a leg to stand on, anon!
That's pretty lewd, planefag.
>>
File: INAFT.jpg (96 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
INAFT.jpg
96 KB, 894x894
>>44419417
>>
File: laughing augs.jpg (72 KB, 827x545) Image search: [Google]
laughing augs.jpg
72 KB, 827x545
>>44419478

REMEMBER

THIS

>>44419277
>>44419470
So I assume pillow fort => memes => this?
>>
File: Every damn day.jpg (115 KB, 563x506) Image search: [Google]
Every damn day.jpg
115 KB, 563x506
>>44419470
>>
>>44419361
Where do you go where there's kancolle cosplayers?
>>
File: we just don't know.gif (1002 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
we just don't know.gif
1002 KB, 250x251
>>44419297
the choices were:
koishi and satori komeji
a pillowfort
the metal slug
kongou dess in all fields
abyssal kongou
wo class aircraft carrier
a musashi for ants
spaghettio
PT boats
blushing nagamon
nanodeus

my face right now
>>
File: 1377493147744.jpg (78 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1377493147744.jpg
78 KB, 800x533
>>44419497
>>
>>44419522
You forgot two. Namely the most important one. The one he replied to.

I'm crying. In terror.
>>
>>44419069
>>44419008
Noone's denying that The nips were gigantic cuntniggers during the war, FFS.

The problem is Essex seems to be forgetting that we nuked and occupied their shit so hard wit warped their national psyche so far over the line it looped right around to "whiny pacifist", and is taking the attitude from "Brief period between finding out about all the deathcamps and nuking the fuck out of them".
>>
File: satori and koishi cake.png (675 KB, 1000x874) Image search: [Google]
satori and koishi cake.png
675 KB, 1000x874
>>44419522
Did I miss some vote or something?
>>
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/43601149/#p43601866
>>
>>44419643
She does seem to be forgetting it, yes. Maybe from being scrapped
>>
File: NANOMACHINES, SON.jpg (615 KB, 940x800) Image search: [Google]
NANOMACHINES, SON.jpg
615 KB, 940x800
>>44419522
>nanodesu

ahaha I even have a picture for that

>pillowfort

AAAAERVERY TIME
>>
>>44419643
Something to do with her not having all her marbles. How did she even get down there?

Don't kanmusu have to be summoned?
>>
>>44419670
>Crunch Essex
Terror level: high
>>
>>44419696
No. None of the US ones so far have been summoned.
>>
File: satori cat.jpg (392 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
satori cat.jpg
392 KB, 800x800
>>44419684
Hey Planefag.

What happaned to that Koalition quest you almost started for Touhou?
>>
File: Hoel.png (223 KB, 1118x2111) Image search: [Google]
Hoel.png
223 KB, 1118x2111
>>44419696
Shipgirls show up whenever the damn hell they want.
>>
>>44419709
Hamp.
>>
>>44419696
All of the USN girls came back on their own. A lot of the IJN girls came back on their own. Shoukaku did, even
>>44419709
Hamp was, technically
>>
>>44419696
>>44419709
Well Hamp was sorta summoned.
>>
>>44419655
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43601149/#43601723
we accidentally a vote
back in november

i don't even
i guess this is how he refuels?
>>
>>44419736
>>44419739
Fuck you two for beating the reply timer.
>>
>>44419105
>everyone
>one or two people asking out of around 40
Come on
>>
File: Nanodesu.png (725 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
Nanodesu.png
725 KB, 750x750
>>44419684
>>
File: nanodeus.jpg (27 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
nanodeus.jpg
27 KB, 640x400
>>44419684
>>
One last thought before I crash -

- has anyone here ever beaten GalCiv II's AI on "Tough?" Because fuck me sideways I don't think it's humanly possible.
>>
>>44419822
Night, planefag. Fun thread as always.
And haha fuck no
>>
>>44419822
Try Gary Grisby War in the East
>>
>>44419670
>>44419277
You could at least post the "winning" picture.
>>
So why the hell did carriers start dominating anyways?

Was it really that hard to mount a few AA guns onto battleships? Early carriers didn't carry that many planes.
>>
>>44419822
That guy who's ancient LP of the thing got 90% of the playerbase into the game.

BONGOLIAN ULTRAPRAWN
>>
>>44419858
AA guns weren't effective enough, weapons that planes could carry were more than effective enough
>>
File: 13263846846.gif (919 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
13263846846.gif
919 KB, 500x281
>Essex
Enterprise when?
>>
>>44419858
lot of reasons, but it boils down to range and logistics
>>
>>44419852
What are you talking about? What picture? I didn't see anything get picked. Just that planefag said he'd chosen the form of the destructor.
>>
>>44419858
battleships shoot tens of kilometers
planes fly hundreds of kilometers
#rekt
the end.
>>
>>44419873

ahahaha yeah, me too. Man, that fucking story.
>>
>>44419822
But who is Essex?
>>
File: White Plains.png (98 KB, 867x1937) Image search: [Google]
White Plains.png
98 KB, 867x1937
>>44419858
Carriers allowed you to strike targets from over the horizon. Without proper recon, a battleship could never hope to find much less attack a carrier. AA guns also are not perfect. There are certain strategies that were commonly employed in WWII era to thwart them such as dive bombing. By the time AA gun tech started catching up with radar guided guns and proximity fuses, we were already transitioning into jet fighters and guided missiles which rendered ground based AA guns practically useless.
>>
>>44419873
A good galciv 2 LP? I'll have to give it a read
>>
So, wait. Did Settle just summon another instrument of his desire to commit violence on abyssals like he did with Hamp?
>>
>>44419998
No, she seems to have come back on her own
>>
>>44419858
>>44419914

Not just range and logistics (but that is a major factor).

WW2-era AA were crew-served guns tracking prop-driven aircraft; you could track that by eye and the turrets swung fast enough to keep the bogeys targeted. But the faster your target traveled, the harder it became to not only track, but aim your turret.

Late-War and Cold-War era radar could do the tracking job just fine; however the issue was still getting the turrets and gun mounts into position fast enough to be effective. After a point, traditional AA guns just don't cut it anymore.
>>
>>44419966
It's this dude as a ship.
You can trust me anon.
When have I ever led you astray?
>>
>>44420007
>>44419982
So in other words, this aircraft carrier is going to be really useful if we can somehow make her cooperate.
>>
File: 1437103906862.png (15 KB, 457x234) Image search: [Google]
1437103906862.png
15 KB, 457x234
>>44420008
>>
>>44420008
I just figured it out.

Fuck you, Cat. Fuck you.
>>
>>44419982

I wasn't talking about battleships sinking the carriers, but rather the target ships (and their defenders) just wiping out the attacking planes. It surprises me that AA was apparently so universally shit.
>>
>>44419858
>So why the hell did carriers start dominating anyways?

The predreadnaught battleships only mounted two twin-gun "big" turrets for a reason - fire control just wasn't there to really justify more. Small "quick-firing" guns could adjust fire by walking their shell splashes towards a target, but past 6,000 yards or so the simple flight time of the shell meant that target ships would move too much for that to really be effective. Thus the huge "secondary" batteries of fast-firing guns on the broadsides were the real main weapon.

The HMS Dreadnaught reversed that trend and changed naval warfare forever. The British built the Dreadnaught because they realized that fire control systems - optics, rangefinders, and such - were advanced enough that the big guns could actually hit shit out to their longer ranges. Within a few decades naval combat went from a sub-10,000 yard affair 20,000 yards or more - and even the thickest armor plating a ship could carry could only stop an opposing shell at longer ranges. Absolutely nothing short of a mountain could stop those shells at closer ranges.

What made the battleship worth the investment? It could swat dead dozens of smaller ships like cruisers, simply by out-ranging them. The incredibly complex fire-control systems, the ever-increasing caliber of the main guns - the entire point of the battleship can be summed up in two words:

Standoff advantage.

Now you take that, you apply it to carriers, and you tell me why battleships became obsolete.
>>
>>44420050
You can shoot down some planes, sure.
You can't shoot all of them downn
Enough will get through to fuck you.
And this whole time you can't hit their base, which has even more planes to throw.
>>
>>44420050
Well, that was mostly the case with the USN, but that was because their AA tech was practically light years ahead of what the japs had. It also helped that by late war most of the Japanese pilots were poorly trained and weren't very good at dodging AA fire.

However, there were many methods you could use to take out a fleet, such as attacking from a high enough angle that the AA guns can't get a bead on you, or approach with multiple squadrons from multiple angles to force the fleet to split their fire, or just swamp them with plain old numbers. Even with their superior AA tech, the USN could never stop ALL of the Japanese planes.

But the fact of the matter is, a carrier has far more flexible options for engaging an enemy fleet than a battleship does.
>>
>>44419513
cons man, cons, admittedly this is an older pic
>>
>>44420047
what did you figure out. share it with the class you fucking faggot asshole piece of shit.
>>
>>44420050
Air power advanced really, really fast through the 20s and 30s. Cruising speeds went from about one hundred to three to four hundred MPH, and max speeds from maybe two hundred to well over five hundred.

In short, air power advanced so rapidly, countermeasures couldn't keep up.
>>
>>44420050
>I wasn't talking about battleships sinking the carriers, but rather the target ships (and their defenders) just wiping out the attacking planes. It surprises me that AA was apparently so universally shit.

If you've ever gone skeet shooting you'll have a rough idea of how damned hard it is to hit targets moving quickly in three dimensions. It's so hard that the majority of fighter pilots in the war made their kills from point-blank range - and that's people in a plane, only a few hundred yards from their target, with much lesser comparative motion between the two.

The optical/mechanical fire-control systems for battleships - firing on other battleships - might get a 5% hit percentage out at 25,000 yards. That's against a battleship-sized target moving at 30 knots, on the surface of the ocean. Now imagine trying to hit a target moving in three dimensions and booking at 300 knots - and capable of changing course much quicker and more violently. Yeah. It's a problem.

The worst part is the matter of ranging/shell fuzing. To get the "shotgun" effect that helps you in skeet, the explosive AA shells were fuzed to detonate at a certain distance - preferably when they were in the vicinity of the target plane. Thus accurate ranging was crucial - and range determination was the absolute hardest part against something closing as fast as a dive-bomber; the vertical rate-change is incredible. This is why the radio proximity fuze was such a massive gamechanger - each shell broadcast a weak radio signal, and when it received enough feedback signal, it would detonate on its own. Every shell would detonate near a target plane; not too early and not too late. It doubled the effectiveness of AA, at the very least.
>>
>>44420138
>>44420156

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!
>>
>>44420150
No.
>>
>>44420186
>>44420206

And you as well, of course!
>>
>>44420156
>In short, air power advanced so rapidly, countermeasures couldn't keep up.

Also this.

Now mind you, battleships weren't helpless - once the threat of aircraft was appreciated, they soon started switching to dual-angle secondary batteries; and those were typically 5 inch guns. That's 127mm guns. The huge, heavy, high-powered flak that gave B-17s such grief over Germany? Those were only 88mm guns. And these 5-inchers were installed on battleships which had the space, power and crew to operate *very* big, sophisticated mechanical computers for their directors, generating solutions the directors on smaller ships couldn't hope to match. Five-inch flak was fucking MURDEROUS.

The problem in 1945 is the same one we have today - standoff advantage and defense saturation. Few ship-board guns could really engage incoming aircraft well outside of their own engagement envelope - especially dive-bombers, because they came in at high altitude and thus benefited from slant range. By the time they start their dives, it's probably too late - you'll probably be nailing them after they've already loosed their bombs. Torpedo planes are a lot easier to engage, but the point of torpedoes on aircraft is typically standoff advantage - the Japanese made a point of flying very close before dropping (which is what you do if you want to guarantee hits,) but by the same token it was nigh suicidal against anything with decent AA defenses.

In the modern era we're arguably up against the opposite end of the spectrum - most anti-ship missiles in service are showing their age, whereas anti-missile missiles are getting better all the time. The new generation of anti-ship missile is going to be a much more dangerous and sophisticated beast. When they were made they were hard to shoot down simply because they were missiles; fast-moving and small targets. Modern computers and sensors have turned the tables on them, and now it's the offensive ordinance that has to play catch-up.
>>
>>44420273
I'm on my phone so I can't find the videos, but I HIGHLY recommend looking up some documentaries on mechanical computers used in fire control computers. It's absolutely fascinating.
>>
>>44420273
once the supercavitating rocket torpedo cruise missile satellite mine is mass produced...
>>
Can somebody please just explain why anon is going apeshit?
>>
>>44420350

I-is that a thing?
>>
>>44420368
no, silly
>>
File: Johnston.png (72 KB, 764x1956) Image search: [Google]
Johnston.png
72 KB, 764x1956
>>44420364
>Can somebody please just explain why anon is going apeshit?

Anon always goes apeshit whenever planefag introduces a new shipgirl.
>>
>>44420387
I mean more apeshit than usual. And some people being smug as hell because they know something.
>>
>a weapon to surpass Kongou Dess
Well. I didn't think it was possible, but you did it, planefag. You really fucking delivered.
>>
File: 1399244124422.jpg (112 KB, 594x864) Image search: [Google]
1399244124422.jpg
112 KB, 594x864
>>44418747
OH GOD!!! MOAR!!! Please don't let this be the end!!!!
>>
>>44420350
>>44420368
>>44420382
While not quite that ludicrously complicated, the PRC *is* supposed to be working on a new wunderwaffe, the DF-21 - a theatre-range ballistic missile that carries a supersonic anti-ship cruise missile as its payload, and deploys it once it reaches the target area.

It ain't even in service yet, there are at least a dozen reasons it might never work the way the PLA boasts it will, a whole bunch of navies are already devising countermeasures (or have them already, namely long-range ABM capabilities), and deploying any ballistic weapon runs the risk of it being mis-identified as a nuke and escalating any conflict where the DF-21 is actually fired.
>>
>>44420555
The SM-3 is fucking insane, on that note
>>
>>44420628
Considering the price-tag, both programme and per-round? I'd certainly hope so.
>>
>>44420555

Don't most of the PRC troops still use bolt-action weapons?

And shouldn't its development be affected by the economic fuckery going on over there right now?
>>
>>44420659
>Don't most of the PRC troops still use bolt-action weapons?
... no. Not for decades. Assault-rifles are standard issue, and the Type-56 and Type-81 are reputedly amongst the best variants on the original AK-47 ever made.

>And shouldn't its development be affected by the economic fuckery going on over there right now?
Last I checked, their net economic growth was still over 5% a year, and given the regional tensions and history I doubt their military R&D budgets are going to take much of a hit.
>>
>>44420528

Oh don't worry; this is just the end of my time in Jolly ol' England. James and I thought it would be easier to just combine our adventures now that we're both "stuck", as he would say, in Yokosuka.
>>
>>44419361
Not the same ones, but I have more Tone, cosplayer pics.
>>
>>44419401
How about these?
>>
File: dsc_6346v2_by_nutcase23-d9j8rjq.jpg (140 KB, 730x1094) Image search: [Google]
dsc_6346v2_by_nutcase23-d9j8rjq.jpg
140 KB, 730x1094
>>44420866
Maximum Hottness.
>>
BUT WHY WAS THE CARRIER UNDERWATER
>>
>>44420555

To say nothing of it having a shorter range than the Tomahawk missile. And if the Chinese IADS is too formidable to penetrate, then there's also this "prompt global strike" thing they keep talking about... fire with fire...
>>
>>44421170

RODS FROM GOD.
>>
>>44421170
Weren't you going to sleep? Or did anon's continuing salt call you back?
>>
>>44421209
Defense tech is hella fascinating talk
>>
>>44419257
>cold war carrier
>not CVN-65
This girl nearly ended Earth and caused India to be nuclear grade curry
>>
>>44421343
But that one doesn't have Sex in its name.
>>
>>44420051
And the reason why nuclear grade submarines are amazing is beaus for all the might of a carrier, you can't shoot what you can't even see, and when you are deep diving, you can chose the engagements at any time.

>>44420555
Again as you said, DF-21 looks too much like a nuke, same reason why prompt global strike will never be used.
>>
>>44421209

I attempt sleep. Sometimes it happens.
>>
File: IMG_6254-38.jpg (3 MB, 3888x1934) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6254-38.jpg
3 MB, 3888x1934
>>44421434
Related, Torpedo tech is relatively slow to advance only because torpedo tend to be relatively easy to make monsters, between wire guidance or the insane "point towards enemy" thing that is super cavating.
>>
>>44420791
Well, I'm always glad to hear more stories of the best.
>>
>>44421506

Ah, supercavitating torpedoes. Also known as "lets come to periscope depth in the middle of an escort screen," or "lets fire a straight-running dumbfire weapon on sonar-only bearings, because that worked so great for the USN in the Pacific," with a side-helping of "lets discharge a weapon that makes more noise than a brass band banging on a bull elephant's ballsack and hope the target doesn't maneuver away anyhow."
>>
>>44421551

What would you do if you had a supersonic underwater torpedo. How would you deployed how would you use it
>>
>>44421696
>what would you do if you had a supersonic underwater torpedo

I'd sell them to the Chinese, because those dumb sons of bitches will pay top dollar for anything labeled "KARRIER KILLER" and if I didn't the fuckwads would just steal the design and pay me jack shit anyways.
>>
>>44421734
>Implying they'd pay

They still haven't ponied up for the Ukie carrier they "bought".
>>
File: IMG_6268.jpg (510 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6268.jpg
510 KB, 1000x667
>>44421734
Here we go. Some Cole if I have this right.
>>
File: 1446259875376.jpg (161 KB, 337x600) Image search: [Google]
1446259875376.jpg
161 KB, 337x600
>>44421802
Cole wasn't attacked by a torpedo. She was hit by a suicide boat packed with explosives.

And even then the damage it caused was repaired in less than a year.
>>
>>44421784

Meanwhile, the Indians have already shelled out a zillion, and the Russians are currently squeezing them for twice as much. Heh. Heh. heh.

Fucking ruddy bastards the lot of them.
>>
>>44421909
Because they know that what ever they sell to them will be copied and they would lose that revenue stream
>>
File: DSC07798.jpg (458 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
DSC07798.jpg
458 KB, 1000x667
>>44421857
>>44421909
Because of Nixon and sending the Big E over during the Pakistani civil war, India is all wanting a carrier killer (the joke being their subs are all.. loud as fuck and you could simply sink their fleets or if anything Pakistan would start lobbing nukes)
>>
>Essex gets into a screaming match with Kaga
>Essex is now pissing herself about submerged contacts
>JS Kaga is on ASW duty
IT'S LIKE POETRY
>>
>>44422257

"T-Thanks for the help. Which ship are you from?"

"JDS Kaga."

Essexdafuqus
>>
>>44421982
Is that USS Wisconsin?
>>
>>44418480
Also, now that I've had the chance to actually read this, very nice.
>>
>>44422278
>>44422257
"Not bad... for a nip."
>>
File: Heather CRUNCH top maid.png (256 KB, 600x1071) Image search: [Google]
Heather CRUNCH top maid.png
256 KB, 600x1071
Insomnia has brought me back to discover that the Essex is basicly Heather Crunch: Aircraft Carrier.

Am I understanding this right?

Does Attarou know? Should I go poke him with a stick?
>>
>>44422646

>USS Heather Crunch

Fuuuuuuuuck
>>
>>44422673
Personally, I'm ok witht this. I find her ill conceived, over ethusiastic exhuberance amusing. Also, I have a shit ton of pics from various threads I can post for relevancy.
>>
>>44422729

Gotta crown a new queen of shitposting
>>
>>44422257
>>44422278
"Oh... I am never going to live this down..." - Essex, probably

And glorious writefaggotry from Arial Homo's associates as well! Today's gonna be a good day to get shit done!
>>
File: RUN AWAY.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
RUN AWAY.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>44419340
Evil Parker counterparts? Both Terror and Erebus had me going pic related.

That very first sentence about heat kind of felt out of place, could you expand a little by what you mean with it? I assume the thermocline, but I really cannot tell for sure.

Well done overall, I was certain there were a few spelling errors and such but re-reading I can no longer find them. Looking forward to more.
>>
>>44419340
Passable, for something so far from cannon. Decent first effort. I can't make any real criticism, other than that you need MORE of everything.

>>44418747
Given your reaction to the Americans' reactions, I'm guessing the shock and slight fear of returned shipgirls isn't so pronounced in the UK? Makes sense; we're all partly insane to start with. Attractive girls (and a few boys) walking around as the spirits of ships is just another Tuesday...
>>
>>44423135
>Passable, for something so far from cannon.
That's adorable
>>
>>44423493
Hey at least when I do my shitty shit writings, I do inconsequential stuff on the far side of the globe to the main story... That way, it doesn't matter if it's cannon or not.

I suppose England's situation could be cannonised by the almighty Planefaggit, but let's face it, he's never going to do that.
>>
>>44423563
I thought canon was what planefag said it was, which isn't much, other than fluff is forever and a day excommunicated as canon
>>
File: sANFV32.png (212 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
sANFV32.png
212 KB, 500x331
>>44423092
The heat line is a reference to the shortly-thereafter-introduced underwater volcano lair. It's also, somewhat, a dig at the Terror & Erebus themselves; both ships became icelocked in the Arctic, eventually leading to the deaths of their entire crews - crews that descended into madness and cannibalism before they died.

>>44423135
...That feel when I ran literally everything past Planefag for compatibility with canon and got approval before posting?

Can I get you to expand on the 'more' comment? Do you feel it was too short? Didn't spend enough time with the characters? More cowbell? More vhat, my friend?
>>
Oh hey, this thread's still live.

So, I got bored and wrote a part 4 to Shimakaze'd. Then I got bored again and wrote a part 5. Should I post them both here, or is it way too late?
>>
>>44423836
Oh, that HMS Terror and Erebus, I thought you were referring to the monitors that fought in WWI and WWII
>>
>>44423838
Sure, it'll be interesting to see what fresh crazy Shimakaze brings with her today.
>>
>>44423850
Definitely the arctic ones, my friend. Upgraded to ironclads (and given steam engines!) for their exploration jobs; also the only two bomb ships to have volcanoes named after /them/, rather than the other way around (each discovered an island mountain which, as it turns out, was full of fucking lava). Bomb ships were tough as hell to begin with, to slug it out with shore batteries, and these two were made tougher and meaner just before they were lead to their deaths.

And abandoned. And forgotten.

For /centuries/.

You could say they mad.
>>
>>44423884
Yeah but they recently at least found Erebus.
>>
>>44423935
Yeah, in a political move to solidify Canada's claim over some land. They still haven't released the location of her wreck, essentially meaning that the entirety of her memorial is "We found a thing, which means we own it. Fuck you."
>>
>>44423954
Yeah, I can see why they would be pissed at that.
>>
>>44420342
>I'm on my phone so I can't find the videos, but I HIGHLY recommend looking up some documentaries on mechanical computers used in fire control computers. It's absolutely fascinating.
Alternatively, for about $25, you can buy a copy of Norman Friedman's book "Naval Firepower: Guns and Gunnery in the Battleship Age." Despite the title, there's very little about the guns in there... it's almost entirely a description of the development of battleship and cruiser fire control systems in the major navies--including detailed descriptions of the design, theory, and operation of the Royal Navy's Admiralty Fire Control Table, and the US Navy's various marks of Gun Fire Control Systems.
>>
>>44423836
Wait, the secret undersea base is cannon?

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, WE HAVE CONFIRMATION OF WHERE THE ABYSSALS ARE STRIKING FROM AND IT'S UNDER THE OCEAN?!

That changes EVERYTHING! And yeah, it's a little on the short side. There wasn't really much space to really let us know who the characters really were, in a short snapshot like that. Then again, I'm one to talk... I doubt Lady Victory's introduction will last too much longer...

>>44423838
Joy of joys! A dose of Shimakaze-brand silliness too! Can this day get any better?

Well yeah, I could recover from this wretched disease that has me dehydrated, but also makes it so it hurts to swallow anything, much less water...
>>
>>44423838
Go ahead and post. If they don't get a response, you could always post them again next thread.
>>
>>44423976
Compatibility with canon, Seaman. Any declaration of actual canonocity is of course up to Planefag; I just made sure everything I wrote was plausible and fit into the setting.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 113

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.