[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you like your grappling rules, /tg/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8
File: Grappling rules.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Grappling rules.gif
3 MB, 320x240
How do you like your grappling rules, /tg/?
>>
>How do you like your grappling rules, /tg/?
Completely eliminated by freedom of movement.
>>
>>44413465
How DOES Freedom of Movement work?
>>
>>44413535
It roots your body in alignment with your soul in the astral plane, making it so that nothing can hold you without your willingness.
>>
>>44413449
Fluid.
You initiate the grapple and you have a set of options.

You can just keep grappling them and stop them doing anything but that's it, you can pin them to the floor or you can try to disarm them easier due to grappling them. None of this "I grab their left arm", if you want to throw them to the floor you can fluff it however you want. You can sit on their chest until they cry Uncle for all I care, they're pinned.
>>
File: 1375370689210.jpg (67 KB, 282x341) Image search: [Google]
1375370689210.jpg
67 KB, 282x341
>>44413565
There's no way that can be healthy for you.
>>
>>44413449
Uncomplicated and as a supplement to more straight-up combat, because grappling competitions are sport and nothing else.
>>
File: Freed from the Real.jpg (69 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
Freed from the Real.jpg
69 KB, 480x680
>>44413612
I see someone has never been Freed from the Real before.

Feels good man.
>>
>>44413449
>How do you like your grappling rules, /tg/?
>>
File: EBJR.jpg (289 KB, 1200x774) Image search: [Google]
EBJR.jpg
289 KB, 1200x774
>>44414772
Edgy Brah!
>>
>>44413565
Think it also prevents slipping too.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 200x216) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 200x216
>>44413806
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 500x499
>>44413449
I've personally enjoyed GURPS style grappling in a low tech game it's not bad and quite good if you involved special techniques. But I'd say stay away from typical d20 grappling it requires to much min maxing to be a legitimate tactical choice beyond level 5
>>
>>44413449
In GURPS if you are strong enough you can snap necks, dislocate limbs, he'll even pin someone down and bash their faces into a bloody pulp or even remove their eyes it all depends on how edgy you want to be
>>
>>44414772
>>44414841
eddie bravowns
>>
>>44413449
Unless it's a grapple based combat system I agree with >>44413605, although I allow for different grapple styles a la different classes, which change how you approach the situation and how you escape it.
>>
>>44413449

Labyrinthine.

I can't orgasm without ruining someone else's fun with unnecessary crunch
>>
>>44413449
Needlessly complicated.
>>
>Grappler grapples
>Athletics vs. Athletics
>If grappled or grappler, make opposed Athletics on your turn
>winner gets a benefit
>If grappled person wins, break free or reverse grapple
>if grappler wins, they can attack, throw, pin, ect
>>
Exploitable
>>
Brutal, scary and dirty.

Thank you based Band of Bastards!
>>
>>44413449
Version 2

Grab Rules
A grab is a special type of attack, it allows you to restrain and potentially move units around the battlefield as well as deal some damage.

To preform a grab you must have a free hand, you roll your attack die normally, and if successful, you have your opponent in a partial grab.

If you preform another while your target is in a partial grab and are successful you have your opponent in a full grab, in which they may take no actions until they break free.

You can have up to 2 targets grabbed in Partial Grabs.

A Grab is treated as a basic attack for the purposes of modifiers.

Partial Grab-
A Partial grab places the target under a Partial Grab, it must be maintained by a Secondary action at the start of your next turn otherwise it is released. While you have the target grabbed you can use a primary action on your turn to move it to another square adjacent to you.

Full Grab-
A Full Grab places the target under a Full Grab, you can choose to deal damage when you maintain it on your next turn at a multiplier of x1.0, it can be maintained with a primary action at the start of your turn. You can use a secondary action while the target is under a full grab to move half your speed, pulling the target with you to an adjacent square to you at the end of the pull. You can also use that secondary action to slide the target up to 3 squares from you.

Escaping a Grab-
At the start of a turn you're partially grabbed you can use 2 actions to try and escape, you roll 3D6 as a basic attack, if you beat their Defense Rating, you escape the grab. If you use your primary action instead of 2 actions, you gain +2 to your roll. If unsuccessful you lose the actions the grab cost you and can continue your turn as normal with your remaining actions.

If you're fully grabbed you must use 4 actions if you attempt to escape, and gain no bonus to the roll.

If either of the units in a grab are pushed, slid, or teleported the grab is broken.
>>
>>44413449
I like that RuneQuest has a "Grip" and a "Grapple" where grip means you just hold them in place, and grapple is performing a lock on a body location.

You can use Athletics, Combat Style, Brawn, or Unarmed so there is a variety of fluffs for it too. I just wish there was a way to throw because besides that it works in every way I want - damaging locations, preventing action, subduing peacefully, etc.
>>
File: suplex2.gif (833 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
suplex2.gif
833 KB, 480x270
simple, not flow jarring, and for a purpose.

World of Darkness/Chronicles of darkness is great for it.

>Simple attack with a success counting as a grab
>can damage/control weapon->disarm/ Hold->immobilize
>grappling changes melee combat to a test of strength in case they're a better fighter but not as strong.
>>
>>44413449
Like I like my women. Complex, indecipherable, frustrating, inconsistent but sometimes seemingly reasonable.
>>
>>44413449
Not too convoluted.

Like in Mutants and Masterminds 3e
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.