[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: DMs- Times You've Kept Your Cool and Let Your Players
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8
File: PokerFace.jpg (109 KB, 1202x832) Image search: [Google]
PokerFace.jpg
109 KB, 1202x832
As the title says. I'll start. Last game had a dual wielding fellow in 3.5 who has no sneak attack, no ToB punishing stance, no insightful strike from Swashbuckler, not even Favored Enemy Ranger Damage. Flat 1d6+1 / 1d4 per swing. Party level 11. DW-Bro is falling behind. Make up a wonderful midnight blue cedar box that could be described as Starry Night painted on it. Inside are dual blades - cutlasses with fiery burst / icy burst. 1d6+fire, 1d6+ice per hit for those unfamiliar with 3.5/PF - oncrit, they do an additional 2d10 elemental damage of their specific element.

Big dumb 2h fighter finds the box. It seems to be magically locked. (Can't tell the PCs that key is like 5 minutes away in the same dungeon. Gotta keep my poker face.) Fighter goes, sunders the box with an adamantine heavy flail. Bits of wood and steel and elaborately-crafted handguard go everywhere.

Incredible 2WF bro realizes what's up and gives me this look like I just shot his dog. Shrug at him and narrate that, "The box is destroyed. There are shards of wood and metal everywhere."

Feels bad.
>>
>>44411901

Poor wieldy: is he in a rivalry between fighter dude?

Also, did you properly roll to make sure the swords in question were actually destroyed? There's a roll for that, you know.
>>
>>44411979
Treated it as an AC 5 static object. Fighterbro rolled and confirmed a crit on it with power attack. Dealt like 40 or 50 damage - some obscene number. Think that would break a steel cutlass.
>>
I feel bad doing that to my players. they're always utterly convinced their idea is going to work out perfectly.
>>
>>44411901
You're telling me an elite warrior-hero can't regulate his blows to break open a box without cleaving straight through its contents?
>>
>>44412384
He did a power attack.
As in, he tries to hit it AS HARD AS HE CAN.
>>
>>44412013
>>44412801
Magic weapons are far more durable then normal weapons. You were retarded. Even with adamantine, they would not have been destroyed with that many enchantments on them.
>>
>>44413242
Mate. I am only >>44412801
>>
File: 1444729917012.jpg (23 KB, 490x480) Image search: [Google]
1444729917012.jpg
23 KB, 490x480
>running a Dragon Ball Xenoverse inspired game with a homebrew system
>giving everybody Battle of Gods tier power ups
>one player is playing a Majin so I set it up so that they're supposed to merge with Buu and take over from the inside
>during the process I blatantly imply that his actions inside affect what Buu's body does while the psyches collide
>it's basically the fight where Cecil goes Paladin in FF4
>"I want to use my ultimate attack on Buu."
>"Alright, if you're sure."
>uses his ult on the party and almost kills one of them
>player acts like I forced him to do it
>>
Not a DM, but my DM let me intimidate a wall more then once. I was hoping for a nat 20, but no luck.

DM was p/ cool.
>>
This might have been a dick move on my part, but there was ultimately no harm to it.

A player noticed that there was a weak spot in the ground leading to a sink hole early in the combat, and then two turns later moved across that spot even though they'd marked it.

>"Are you sure?"
>Blank face.
>"Yeah, want to get over to cover as quick as possible."
>Slight smirk.
>"Alright, I mean, if you want."
>"Yes, I do want."
>Shit eating grin
>Other players are eerily silent
>"You fall in the hole that you saw. Take 5 damage."
>>
>>44413242
iirc admantine weapons completely ignore hardness also *burst is just a +1 enchant anyway
>>
>Be playing Giant robot game
>Give players ICBMs
That was a wonderful finale.
>>
>Playing a mecha campaign
>A NPC pulled a Shinji after one of the PC tried to reassure her with promises that never brought anything
>They're on limited time to find the NPC before something bad happen
>Butt heads with two other NPCs who have the information but need help with an assassination
>Make it clear they just want the promise of help, the assassination comes later
>Nope, the PC decide to fight one of them for it
>"Okay."
>Asspull an entire fight against him
>Get the information after the fight anyway after getting their asses kicked because the NPC they fought wasn't a fucking idiot
>In the time it took them to fight, the NPC met with an evil PC that left the group a while ago (She was actually looking for him), they find one of the BBEG's dragons, the dragon cut off the arm of the NPC, the evil PC kill the dragon and become more powerful, the evil PC also gain minions out of it and bring the NPC with her
>Then I'm told this isn't fair because they would've never figured out this would happen
>When I mentionned there was a time limit
>>
>>44413242
As of pathfinder, the cutlasses would have something like 24 hp each, because each +1 bonus adds 10 hp to the object.
>>
>>44413717
>intimidate a wall
To what end?
>>
>>44411901
This wasn't too bad, but it was a pretty good pokerface/trollface moment for me.

I was playing 4e with my friends---before the edition wars begins, we were just trying something new. I was DM-ing a game where the players were exploring caves. They stumbled onto a group of chokers, and fighting ensued.

For those of you who don't D&D, chokers are monsters that hang from the ceiling and grab unsuspecting PCs. They aren't all that tough, but they have a fun ability---if they successfully grab you, they can use an immediate interrupt to use you as a body shield. I explained this to the group after someone made a successful dungeoneering check at the beginning of the fight.

The battle began, and sure enough one of the chokers managed to grab one of the PCs. Now, my group had a player who was playing a wizard. He was a D&D vet and more than a little cocksure. He started laying out tactics with the rest of the PCs. His plan was to blast the choker SOB and free the PC before he could take any damage.

>pokerface mode engaged

The wizard moved his PC far enough to keep from provoking an opportunity attack. He checked with me to make sure he'd be safe. I said yes, keeping my cool. He then unloaded a level 1 encounter power on the choker.

>trap card revealed

The wicked grin spreading on my face made the wizard realize what was about to happen. The choker tossed the PC in front of the attack, escaping unscathed. The PC ended up getting wounded pretty badly, and the player started yelling at the wizard. The wizard called me a sonofabitch and couldn't believe I managed to keep cool.

>feels goodman.jpg

In the end, they beat the chokers, gathered loot and xp, and continued on their D&D journey a little wiser and a little less cocksure. All in all, a good session.
>>
>>44415017
How can this guy be a vet f, afer you explained exactly what happened if you attacked he went ahead and did it anyway?
>>
>>44415623
Probably a self-proclaimed vet.

Not me DMing, but one time I'm almost positive our DM had to kepe a poker face was when we played a slave campaign where we escaped from slavery.

His original plan was for us to break out of the slave-camp, and travel the roads looking for some place we can call home, while being hounded by the slavemaster who wanted us recaptured.

Things didn't go as planned.

For one, our Barbarian broke out of her jail cell and beat the slavemaster to death with the entire cell door, which was oddly poetic.

The actual escape onto the road went as the DM planned it up until we actually reached the doors, passing through a secret library on the way.

In the library, the few of us who could read found some passing mention of the slavemaster having a ship. We all looked at each other as soon as we heard that.

Almost as if on cue, all of us immediately stopped the mob of angry escaping slaves, and turned them right back around and went back into the slave camp. We then proceeded right to his ship, loaded it up with all the supplies we could find, and set sail to the open sea as pirates, ready to rob from the rich, give to ourselves, while searching for some place far away we could call home.

And that was how our Fantasy Underground Railroad campaign turned into Pirates of the Caribbean, with guest star Kamen Rider.
>>
>>44413717
>>44414949
Not that guy, but the one time I did this I rolled a nat 20. The wall was truly scared, trembled slightly, and dropped a brick on my head via the ceiling to do 1d6 damage.

Party was just milling around in some generic dungeon hallway. So I just said "Well somebody's gotta do something, fuck! I roll to intimidate the hallway."
>>
>>44413861
I got really mad at you for a bit. Then realized you guys were probably actually using a map or something since you mentioned marking stuff down. So that's just embarassing.

My DM tends to be really lazy and handwavy about his "THEATRE-OF-THE-MIIND" so the way this would have gone for us is I would've noticed a hole and announced I was moving somewhere, and he would roll to see if I fell in it unless I remembered to say "I avoid the hole because my character's not a retard."
>>
>>44416671
Yeah, there was a map and I literally drew a line and went "are you going like this?"
>>
>>44411901
SW Saga, ongoing campaign, KOTOR era

> PCs run after dark side artefacts hidden in remote places by the Krath
> Dark Side artefacts accumulate Dark Side energy.
> Dark Side Artefact is a large crystal (about as big as your forearm) with runes engraved in it and absorbing ambiant light.
> Special crystals can be set in weapons to modify the beam / blade.
> Other item found made of new metal that channels the Force.
> "Wait... this could fit in a Blaster Cannon!"

> Mechanics and Use the Force checks to build the contraption.
> Crit Fail the UTF check, there's a powerful detonation that damages the technician's equipment and armor.
> Somehowagoodsign.jpg
> Amount of energy lost trivial, end up installing the thing.
> Face a derelict ship covered in mynocks.
> Fuckthat.webm
> Vote to shoot, unanimous.
> One player says "wait, maybe it's not such a good..."
> Other player shoots.

The Blaster Cannon's energy output sucessfully transferred inside the artefact, destabilizing it and causing a huge detonation. The cannon's turret was blown to smithereens, the ship was heavily damaged and disabled, the shooter made a re-entry in atmosphere all by himself (which ended not so badly), the derelict ship too causing the surface of the unstable planet below to go volcanic apocalypse. Then the nuclear reactors exploded.

They still managed to recuperate the now cleansed artefact, the guy who re-entered atmosphere, the artefact of the derelict ship after facing Lava-dwelling lifeforms and piloting through heavy cinder clouds without a radar and with an unresponsive ship.
>>
>>44411901
Well, they gotta learn. You did alright, anon.
>>
>>44420657
>Last game had a dual wielding fellow in 3.5 who has no sneak attack, no ToB punishing stance, no insightful strike from Swashbuckler, not even Favored Enemy Ranger Damage. Flat 1d6+1 / 1d4 per swing. Party level 11

Not sure what was the stupid decision, given the system. Of course, the TWF's decision was not the brightest, but at least he had no idea of the consequences of his actions. Besides, if the character is dumb, it's only good roleplay to play him dumb.

On the other hand, the TWF (I'll guess a fighter) consciously made an inefficient character in a game that does call for a modicum of optimization. In addition to that, he began level 11 and still did not obtain such weapon with his starting gold. The character is a liability in an encounter.

All I see is:
> Dumb, short-fused fighter roleplays well.
> Two-weapon fighter built so badly he shouldn't be alive and living off the most successful characters through a redistribution of wealth and XP.
> Fancy treasure that shouldn't be necessary but has become so due to one player's poor decisions at character creation being destroyed and not hindering the TWF in the least, except if he has a modicum of empathy.
> DnD being shit as usual since another (probably cool) character is not viable.

Verdict: Reroll the shitty character or change system. Do not blame the TWF, blame the ones in the group that are supposed to have a brain.. and blame the system for encouraging min-maxing so much.
>>
>>44411901
> Mmmmh... and how did your character reach level 11?
> What?
> It seems to me that your character can't really tackle many challenges by himself. He can't hide that well, doesn't open locks or bypasses dangers that well, he can't fell an orc that easily and doesn't allows a group to benefit from a mastery of the arcane or the divine.
> Well... he can hide rather well and dodge.
> Yes, but that is not enough to survive the threats he should have faced until then... not without being a burden of some sort. His survival wouldn't have been prioritized either.
> Well, hum...
> Would it make more sense that he is driven with a desire for vengeance, studying his opponents, their weaknesses and renewing his vigor and assault so that he would protect others (ranger w/ favored enemies tailored to the campaign)?
> Would it make more sense that, out of a desire to survive, he mastered more skills and learned to fight dirty (At least multiclass up to 5 levels into rogue)?
> Or would he see the world as a challenge that he must surmount, refining his technique and getting into shape as to be up to the task? (Redistribute attribute scores so that STR = 16, take fighter feats that increase accuracy and damage and tailor an ability that makes him less worthless.)

Because here's a chronological lists of the bad decisions that led to this situation, and imho, while it's easy to blame the Two-handed-fighter, the two others are just as guilty, if not more, as they were aware, or should have been, of the impacts of their decision, while the fighter had no way to know the key was 5 minutes away.
> DM chose D&D 3.5
> Player A chose to play a character that would be a burden on the party.
> DM accepted the character.
> Player B smashed the box.
>>
File: Mutants and Masterminds.png (532 KB, 1200x533) Image search: [Google]
Mutants and Masterminds.png
532 KB, 1200x533
>>44411901
I haven't GMd yet, but I have done something stupid and the GM let it happen.

>be me, a powerhouse superhero in a silver age scenario
>enemies inside a farm house ganging up on my two teammates
>there are trucks outside
>decide to pick up a truck
>my teammates are already telling me to put down the truck
>next round I run full speed with the truck against the wall of the building: it collapses and the roof falls on my teammates and all the enemies inside. All the enemies are KOd.
>teammates take a few moments to get out of the rubble
>one punches me for burying him in rubble
>fair enough
>>
File: goran_persson2.jpg (9 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
goran_persson2.jpg
9 KB, 300x200
>>44416165
sold
>>
>>44421171
Anon, the stupid mistake was the TWF choosing the sunder a freakin wooden box immediately without attempting to find alternate (and less destructive) means of opening it. Him not knowing what was in the box is even WORSE. It could have been something more fragile than cutlasses, heck it could have been poison gas potions or alchemist fire or any other fragile-AND-deadly device that wouldn't otherwise explode in their faces. Unless I'm missing something here, the TWF decided to beat the living shit out of that box, so there's also no slack for him using any amount of restraint or control when tapping it.

Pure recklessness is not 'role playing a fighter well' unless that trait is specifically a feature of his character already. But then, it's still a dick move.
>>
>>44411901
There's no need to tell players what is in the unopened box.
There's no need to tell players what was destroyed (unless they examine it; even then you should be vague)
>>
Player attempted to melee a duelist who was infamous for having a sword that shattered opponent's weapons on a parry.

Lost his plot weapon in the very first round. Took a bunch of damage from his weapon exploding, too.
>>
>>44423229
>shattered
>exploding
What? Swords don't really explode anon, they are completely solid objects and aren't made of energetic material. Swords also don't have the surface area necessary to produce an exploding effect on shards of metal, rather it'd just sweep through with the victimized sword shattering as an afterthought.

It's like you don't understand tension or momentum, anon.
>>
>>44413910
+2, actually. And they need to have +1 before it can be applied, so at least +3 equivalent weapons. So both weapons should've had 30+ hit points. And he was hitting the box, not the weapons directly.
>>
>>44411901

I was the player here, not the DM, but Ian kept a perfect poker face for this.

>Be special forces for our fantasy nation in a big nasty war
>We are losing said war.
>Part of the problem is that the enemy is breeding certain artificial demihuman races to swell their manpower. Our magical resources are invested more "traditionally" into explosions and teleports and stuff like that; but they have these big, ritual magic covered command posts which keep us from doing our nastier tricks in a fairly large radius around the post.
>They advance to the limit of one post, build a new one near the edge, keep pushing again, and it's tough to stop.
>They're building one that would put our capital in the blanketed zone, which would pretty much be game over.
>We could sneak in and trash it while they're building it up, but that would buy us about 6 months or so, useful, but not enough most likely.
>High command wants to do something riskier, smash it once it's active and their forces are on the offensive, but before our own lines break; if we can catch their main army in the field with its magical protections down, we can wipe them out and win the war in a day.
>We scout out the area, discover multiple bands of protection.

1/2
>>
>>44423480

>Among other things, we find the delivery of certain crystals useful for summoning rituals to a specific bridge, which is an odd place for things.
>We fail to realize that this is a low manpower/visibility guarding scheme, to summon a bigass demon if something tries to cross said bridge.
>We formulate plans that involve the necessity of getting a 6,000 man army over said bridge.
>Entire plan falls apart because we really need that column to threaten the command post from the west.
>We embark on our own segment (assassinating a liche who is controlling the undead part of the garrison), and succeed in that brilliantly, and for four sessions, our GM is sitting there, smugly behind his screen, knowing it's too late and none of this matters for the outcome of the war.

We had a kind of mass breakdown when he had the big reveal. Grown men crying. Biggest reaction I've ever had to a roleplaying game, and I doubt I was the only one at the table who felt that way.
>>
>playing star wars RPG with friends for the first time.
>one of the people is a normal fag female
>she surprisingly researches for a race and everything
>finds the perfect one (I forget what one specifically) which was a race that basically liked to party
>start playing and a situation arises where they have to convince someone.
>her has her character flash the person they wanna convince
>let it slide and roll along with it.
>she then continues to do this EVERYTIME someone has to be convinced or asked to give info
>had to make a character gay on the 3rd attempt to make it fail.

It was cute the first time but seriously it was immersion breaking from the start but to keep doing it because you think its funny and you can't come up with anything else is annoying.
>>
Impatient wizard decides he's going to walk into the center of a spider nest and cast fireball because the deliberation of the other party members is taking too long.

Imagine his surprise when there's more than the one spider they saw. Maybe the rest of the party was onto something, but that wizard won't get the chance to do it again.
>>
>>44416526
I told you guys diplomancy was a real super power!
>>
In a Pathfinder campaign a while back the party fighter/barbarian, a human wielding a large-size halberd or something, attempted to cross a courtyard to the nearest enemy... right over the top of a well. I asked him if he was sure and he assured me that it was the quickest route to combat. He had a decent acrobatics, but it didn't save him from the critical failure jumping over the low stones. He fell down into the deep desert well, taking something like 5d6 damage. He almost drowned, we all had a good laugh about it. The best part was that it was only a 5-foot move to go around.
>>
>>44423274

> applying logic to magic

That's adorable. You sure showed me. You're very smart!
>>
>>44423480
>>44423482

Wow. I can't remember the last time That DM induced stockholm syndrome this bad.
>>
>>44423746
I'm going to assume you aren't just shit talking and infer that you mean to say this infamous duelist actually has a magic sword whose power is to break the opposing blade whenever it parries. In that case, it's all good, anon. I don't dissent to the way things turned out.

Will say simply stating 'shits infamous for breaking weapons' isn't very indicative of magical effect. Swords breaking is an uncommon yet very real thing, especially depending on craftsmanship. But hey, maybe that was the whole point, going up against guy with magic sword he doesn't know about, right?
>>
>AD&D
>Party is going through a trap/puzzle dungeon fairly unscathed.
>Get to this one puzzle of my own creation that is based off of fun dumb luck since I see that the party is getting tired.
>Party has to drink potions to try to get through the door
>Effects happen like limited intangibility, cure potions, reoccurring imp demons teleporting in slightly stronger, sleep, etc.
>One of the fighters drinks one and I tell him he has 10 seconds to make a wish
>He fumbles and says "Uh, Uh, 1,000 years of battle experience!"
>I give him a blank stare and ask "are you sure?"
>He says yes
>Give him hell of a PSTD disability and mentally unstable in general, but give him 1,500,000 exp.
>Game crashes a few sessions later for unrelated reasons.
>>
>>44423535
Was it the pink race that likes to party? Because those are Zeltrons and they are basically space sluts.
>>
>>44424479

Yes! It was Zeltron.

They are basically but playing that same act over and over got old fast. Least try seducing or anything else you can play off the race.
>>
>>44424357
Having a lot of battle experience means having PSTD (post stress traumatic disorder?) now does it? Not to mention modernized warfare is a crapload more traumatic than medieval or times before then.

Guess that's just how some GMs roll, bloody sadists.
>>
>>44416671

>THEATRE-OF-THE-MIIND

That reminds me of some bullshit from my last dark heresy adventure.

Me and my partner were being hunted by a group of rebels and we ducked into a storage room to hide. We declared our intention to hide and before we could even discuss how we wanted to hide our DM made us roll our stealth skills.

I rolled like shit and my partner did great. DM ruled he went in a crate whereas my character sat on top of one. No actual input from us was allowed in regards to how we hid.

It was really frustrating.
>>
>>44416526
So you scared it so bad that it shit a brick
>>
>playing Unknown Armies
>The game has a concept known as "the sleeping tiger" the idea being that however powerful you are, and however much you hate your enemies, you are always always outnumbered by the unknowing public and they will tear you up if they realise magic is real and how dangerous you all are.
>the party is going on a cross country drive to san fransisco
>decide because they just watched Mad Max that they want to drive a war rig, the most easily traceable and findable truck in the entirety of existence
>then they let the entropomancer (who gains magic power from taking dumb risks) be the driver

it's like watching a car crash in slow motion, they're just driving away from all the problems they're causing not realising that just because you've driven to another state, the problems down't just dissapear.

Suffice to say they're building up quite a comet trail of shit to hit them with when it catches up to them (and it will eventually)
>>
>>44422770
> DM is sad.
> Dual-Wielding character's player is sad.
> Two-handed fighter isn't affected in the least.
> Dual-Wielding character is in no way able to reciprocate.
> Not even passive-aggressively as he can't into contribution to the party.

Even if I knew what was in the box and that my blow would shatter it, I would still do so. Only difference is I would yell "reroll your character" as I smash the box.

Dick move? Yeah. So is not mentioning the possible consequences of one's action when the character could be aware of such a thing from having in-game experience. So is making a special snowflake character that is completely inefficient in a game that requires a modicum of optimization.

Heck, if I was the Flail-user, I would reroll to "make a character that better befits the party". Like a 14/12/14/12/11/14 sword and board fighter. With social feats. And maxed-out cross-class skills. Then I would smirk when CR Lvl-4 monsters hands our asses back to ourselves.

When (not if) I die? Why not a charisma-based monk. Then a ranger with a crossbow cuz' strength penalty, that sounds nice. Oh! A sorcerer with only divination spells. Commune with birds sounds AWESOME. (Not even kidding: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/commune-with-birds )

> The character can't into crit, as you need to confirm those, and the character's to-hit is abysmal.
> The +1d6 is negligible and cannot be improved upon. A rogue, by then, has +6d6 worth of sneak attack.

Like I said:
> D&D 3.5 is shit.
> The dual-wielding character is shit refined and carefully crafted to prove the previous point.
> Let's bash on the character
>>
>>44411901
>I want to empathy check the dead badger
>this badger is dead mark
>I still want to check it
>Do you know what an empathy check is mark?
>Fine. I take my dick out and fuck the badger then since I have no empathy.
And so, Mark fucked the badger. The Druid guide was offended and everything went downhill for him because the group got sick of his shit.
>>
>>44425599
Hey, man, I'm not defending the guys character at all and I won't start now. Simply saying it's purely stupid/dick move for TWF to do that. Furthermore, I don't think it's a dick move for GM in that scenario since the guy just decides off the bat to smash the box.

Generally, when you try to smash your way into a box, you whack the lock portion on the lid. Generally, the idea behind breaking open a box when it's locked is so you can still get the contents without using the key you don't have. Defending the action purely out of spite for this dual wielding reverse munchkin is pretty sad.
>>
>>44424628
Well modern warfare is less personal with being able to end a life with a button on a detonator or a trigger pull at 50m range. Medieval warfare you are right up and personal with every man you slaughter, unless you're an archer just shooting arrows into a I distinct mass of bodies.
>>
>>44425875
No accounting for two men in a battle of arms against each other? With guns there is no test of strength or challenge, it's whoever shoots (with accuracy) first, and the other simply drops lifeless (or sometimes screaming), and you did all that with the pull of a trigger. I won't deny it wasn't traumatic as all hell, but the dynamic was a lot different.
>>
We've had a That Guy die twice to doors. Just doors. They weren't trapped or anything.

>First actual dungeon in a campaign, our first challenge is a wooden door behind a 5 foot wide pit.
>Rogue find a plank and sets it.
>Paladin immediately charges across and attacks the door.
>Nat 1, his hammer is stuck. Nat 1, he successfully pulls the door out of its hinges with the hammer still stuck.
>Falls into the pit, only being held safe by his hammer stuck to the door now suspended over the pit.
>He tells the DM that he wants to free his hammer.
>Falls to his death.
>Rest of the party walks over the door platform to make him not feel completely useless.
>>
>>44426389
kek. story about the second time he died?
>>
>>44412801

A sunder is a special action taken in combat. I don't think you can even power attack on it.
>>
>>44426559
The second time was against a stone door. His tactic didn't change initially. After bitching that it wasn't fair that the door wasn't getting injured, he surveyed the room and had a "brilliant" plan.
There was a large pillar at the center of the room, he planted a small powder keg and a dozen alchemist fires around it. His plan was to make the pillar fall on the door.
This would have just been a failure, until another party member mentioned, "What if it falls the wrong way?"
He agreed, the went to push the pillar towards the door when it exploded. The DM was merciful and didn't stack the alchemist fire damage, and didn't tell him they did nothing to the pillar, but the powder keg dislodged a part of the pillar, and crushed him.
The rogue searched the room after and found a switch. We would have stopped him, or told him to just directly put the keg by the door instead, but it's more fun to just watch.

There are more, but the doors stop being mundane.
>>
>>44411901
>small spiral staircase with a collapsed section at the top
>scouting reveals there's a powerful undead at the top
>However, the controls for the chandelier are here at the bottom
>So they lower it down and send someone to climb on top
>The paladin climbs on, sword shining and who am I kidding
>The wizard climbs on and rides it up giggling like a school girl
>sneak attack's the undead with a massive magic missile
>Which the undead is immune to (Helmed Horror)
>Undead walks forward, slashes through chain and through wizard
>Chandelier crashes to floor below, wizard goes into negatives from fall damage
>Everyone ignores the wizard to gank the undead
>Wizard stabilizes when the bard begrudgingly throws a healing word at him
>They cleave off the undead's armor and fell it
>All shit themselves when they see a darksign activate
>>
>>44412013
Objects are immune to crits...
>>
>>44427133
And magical object get an additional +10 hp per enhancement bonus. As both blades have a basic +1 AND an elemental enchantment, they have at least 25 hit points each.

OP's a fag.
>>
>>44425811
> Generally, when you try to smash your way into a box, you whack the lock portion on the lid. Generally, the idea behind breaking open a box when it's locked is so you can still get the contents without using the key you don't have. Defending the action purely out of spite for this dual wielding reverse munchkin is pretty sad.

Still, it's hard to blame a player for information he doesn't have and that his character may have. He's level 11, he should have the experience required to figure that out.

That said, if the player was given a warning, even something as simple as "How do you try to break it?" and simply answers "I smash it as hard as I can", I would agree with you. Heck, I would even go as far as inflicting the blades' critical elemental damage on him as the magic backlashes.

OP, mind giving more information?
>>
>>44426771
Well it's a specific action that allows for an attack roll against a held item. You an use most generic attack modifiers for it like power attack. It's mostly just classified the way it is to make it easier to sort out certain special modifiers that apply only to it.
>>
>>44427344
And a hardness bonus.
"Each +1 of enhancement bonus adds 2 to a weapon’s or shield’s hardness and +10 to its hit points."
I think steel has a base hardness of 15, so if it did have +3 to enhancement it's total hardness would be 21. That would make an adamantine weapon's hardness ignoring ability inert against it. Though I don't think special abilities like flaming or icy burst count for that, just raw enhancement bonuses. Which would still have to be +1 minimum to have anything else on it.
>>
>>44427865
Ah, let me correct my self. Steel is only 10 hardness (same as iron, wtf? steel should be at least slightly better)
>>
File: 1386612473136.png (59 KB, 284x214) Image search: [Google]
1386612473136.png
59 KB, 284x214
One time my group traveled to a plane that consisted of small floating islands that they could move with their minds to travel the plane.
Eventually they reached a city that was separated into 4 districts and each district was on its own floating island
Needless to say the CN player thought, "Lol what if I smashed them together CN is random XD" and did just that
I was so surprised because I didn't expect the players to actively try to fuck me over, so I decided to let them do this and eventually they got fucked over by the law in that plane
>>
>>44427865
>>44428014
Stop right there, the flail is adamantine, Hardness ignored.
>>
>>44426771
>I try to bash open a container
>No matter how hard I hit it and what I use to smash it the contents inside can't be broken because the player didn't use a "sunder" action.

Thats fucking retarded, the players should have tried to find a key, not be retarded.
>>
>>44428348
It's only retarded because the ruleset on which the character based his actions are disregarded. If the game have no consistency, how can you blame someone for his actions?
>>
>>44428194
Yes. But how LARGE is the box, how far apart were the swords, how long were he swords, and how hard did you throw out the max/min player?
>>
>>44429291
>Fighter goes, sunders the box with an adamantine heavy flail.
Not OP, simply quoted the OP.
>>
>>44411901
>be player
>DM is a known faggot
>lets my loot get smashed
>ask him wtf
>tells me "whatever bro git gud"
>literally shaking at the table
>later on
>go and find a lich
>try to gauge his power level with detect evil
>I get a nosebleed
>tell dm that i should be entitled to a saving throw
>"Nope. No save :^)"
WHY THE FUCK ARE PEOPLE LIKE THIS ALLOWED TO EXIST???
>>
>>44431121
This might be your purpose here, on Earth. Do what God requires of you. Do your divine duty. DO IT FAGGOT!
>>
Just yesterday I told my players in nWorld of Darkness that a bounty had been put out on one of the players by a rival mob.

They spent the entire session talking about how they had to fake his death and claim the bounty. Eventually, they remembered they didn't know any of the details, so after a few minutes of investigating, they found out that the issuer of the bounty specified that he wanted the character's left hand as proof that the deed had been done. Cue the party trying to convince the player into letting them cut off his hand.

And then they decide to fake a cremation, thinking that a random burnt hand from a cadaver (taken from a morgue they broke into) would suffice as proof. So as they break into the crematorium place, they're all shouting as loud as they can "COME ON ANON, WE'RE GONNA FUCKIN' BURN YOUR ASS", explaining that this will enforce their story when claiming the bounty. They smear some of anon's blood all over the crematorium, burn some bodies, fight some zombies (don't ask), and try to claim the bounty next day. Doesn't work.

And we didn't do a single thing I had planned for that night. I guess they had fun though. I certainly had fun doing my taxes waiting for them to do something.
>>
File: 1437270662790.jpg (78 KB, 500x641) Image search: [Google]
1437270662790.jpg
78 KB, 500x641
>>44431121
It seems to me like you're leaving out some information here, and you're not completely faultless.
Why did your loot get smashed? what's the story?

Also, why would you need a saving throw for a nosebleed? It's painless and essentially just a fluff thing.
>>
>>44426867
I'd like to hear em, why not?
>>
>>44431121
>try to gauge his power level with detect evil
>I get a nosebleed
That's your fucking answer, shitboot.
>>
>>44424071
Magic weapons explode when broken. Read your rulebooks.
>>
>>44432385
All that fucking means is it sent me pictures of anime girls mentally
>>
File: 1431342072565.jpg (82 KB, 1020x692) Image search: [Google]
1431342072565.jpg
82 KB, 1020x692
>>44432997
Shit, I'm using that in my next campaign.

A neet who became a lich to be with his waifu forever. He has researched spells to intercept detect evil and scrying attempts and replaces the information they normally gather with lewd anime pictures.
>>
>>44411901
>>44412013
>>44412801

What were the total enchantments on the adamentine flail, and the total enchantments on the magic dual blades?

if the dual blades is at least a +2 total and the adamentine wasnt at least a +3, they, by rules, should NOT have broken.

a +3 adamentine weapon can sunder just about anything, includng magic tho. but u need at least a +3 to sunder a +2 weapon.

I think you fucked up and decided to punish the wrong player for a dumb mistake

personally, I would have made the box magic too, and trapped, electrocuting the fighter when he swung on it. then the trap picker can either pick it or confirm that it NEEDS a key.

I think you fucked up man.
>>
>>44423480
>>44423482
stale copypasta is stale
>>
>>44424618
As opposed to the barbarian that solves problems by hitting things?

Or the thief that sneaks past everything?

Neither of those ever get old
>>
This happened to day
>Players were tasked to go into various places and ask about a cult and what they know about a certain god
>First two went off pretty well
>Third decides he wants to be mr.charisma.
>Bursts into basically a tourist tavern with familes and says "Hey guys the party is finally here" and the summons a minor flurry to snow on everyone in the bar
>Earlier on he decided to grab some girls asses
>He managed to find one of this girls at said bar when asking about the god
>They regonize him as an ass grabber
>He then shows them a rotting decapitating deer head and makes the room smell faintly like a skunk
>the bartender grabs a sword, critically fails to seem threatening.
>Breaks a brazier behind the wall of booze
>The bottles break, the shelf catches on fire.
>The women are running for their lives in terror
>He tells player 3 to leave now before it gets worse.
>The barkeep is a famous retired fighter and player 3 decides to fight him anyways
>player 3 missed everything
>Barkeep hitting him like a pinata to get him to leave his bar that is burning
>After getting beaten up, he decides to finally run
>Barkeep tends to the fire
>Instead of running after causing this much of a commotion they decide "Hey lets take a long rest!"
>They wake up to a guard raid to throw player 3 in prison
>Other two players do not stop this
>Player 3 lost all his possessions and burned all the bridges at the major city in the continent.

All you had to do was just ask a question.
>>
A PC once started a bar brawl by using prestidigitation to make the Dwarves freshly bought mug of ale taste like extremely diluted cordial
>>
>>44432282
Dude, this is the OP from another point of view.
>>
>>44432524
The initial post I responded to that started the replies here made no mention of the victim's sword being magic or not, rather the duelists sword had magical ability (or so I'm led to believe). This was not in fact referring to the original post. Read the your threads.
>>
>>44424640

DM having a player roll without allowing them to describe what they're attempting to do is rookie-tier.

When the player tells you what they want to happen, you have a better idea of how to describe what they DON'T want to happen.
>>
>>44413717
I've let someone do something like that before. They intimidated an empty room. More specifically, they intimidated the emptiness.

They critted on it, and intimidated the emptiness away. Found a pretty awesome hammer that way. No emptiness powers, but still pretty good.
>>
>two characters are in a relationship
>they want a gimmick if one of them dies the other absorbs their soul
>they both die fighting a (succubi?) army and fail their death rolls
>"Ok I'm gonna give you guys what you wanted, now your souls will fuse as you pass over"
>"HAHA CAN WE BE MONSTERS NOW? WE'RE GHOSTS"
>>
>>44441578
What normally happens for me as GM is:

>Whats the room like?
>You see a bed, some crates, curtains, you can feel loose floorboards under your feet, there is a disguise kit in the wardrobe, everything you need to vanish off the face of existence.
>I HIDE!
>*frantic clatter of them rolling lots of dice*
>...
>...
>...
>...
>Care to tell me how you intend to hide?

Then I make them roll and give them a modifier based on how retarded their idea was.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.