[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What system would be the best for running a Dark/Demon's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: 1377231713853.png (253 KB, 679x632) Image search: [Google]
1377231713853.png
253 KB, 679x632
What system would be the best for running a Dark/Demon's Souls style world?
>>
>>44406021
World of Darkness
>>
>>44406021
Lamentations of the Flame Princess

It's a weird fantasy OD&D clone, so the rules and mechanics are pretty straightforward. But there's an emphasis on a very dark souls-esque horror to it. Like there's something massive and ancient and utterly face-stomping at the end of every tunnel.

>Your PCs will want multiple character sheets at first
>>
>>44406021

Either Riddle of Steel or Song of Swords.
>>
File: 44ed88c0_fe30_6a4e.jpg (52 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
44ed88c0_fe30_6a4e.jpg
52 KB, 640x640
>>44406099
>Lamentations of the Flame Princess

All I see is red.
>>
>>44406021
What is it that you want to emulate?

>Setting?
Literally any system in theory. Setting and system are not that strongly tide to each other.

>Grinding?
Not many. Grinding can work in PC games because of how that medium works and a PCs ability to generate encounters over and over.

>Character complexity and customization?
Shadows of Endolon is pretty complex. Any level-less system like Dark Heresy or Palladium would give high customization, though those specific system might be a lot of work to make the right options.

>Tactical combat?
Kinda just on the GM to make that all work by designing good encounters.
>>
File: VhBbW.jpg (242 KB, 800x1500) Image search: [Google]
VhBbW.jpg
242 KB, 800x1500
>>44406287
Yeah I was looking mostly for the complexity.

Thanks
>>
>>44406021
I'ld use GURPS, other than the magic I can't think of anything I couldn't find in the books I have and I doubt it would take long to put it together.
>>
>>44408761
As a GURPSFriend and someone who enjoys Souls, I'd have to agree.
I haven't played the systems this friend >>44406287 is recommending, but in GURPS favor, you have:
In depth combat options
A default assumption of cinematic (GURPS talk for over-the-top) but fatal combat.
Entire systems built on top for creating fairly balanced new content like porting spells and items.

Against it, in terms of running Dark Souls
Dark Souls is fundamentally focused on combat and isolation; the first point makes a lot of GURPS redundant or unimportant; the second part is somewhat a concern no matter what RPG system you want. Most RPGs are meant to be somewhat social, and GURPS depends on it.
Although you can pretty easily emulate anything in Dark Souls in GURPS, the way stats work in both games are pretty different, so if you don't know GURPS right now, it's probably going to just give you a frustratingly bad first impression. If you do know GURPS already, it's pretty easy to make it all work right.
GURPS takes dying seriously by default, unlike Dark Souls, so you will either need to
1) hand out extra lives and character points to buy extra lives like candy, which might cheapen the feeling
2) Be prepared for people to create brand new characters repeatedly... which would be tedious.

That last point goes for almost any system though... emulating a system where death is more serious than most video games... but not as serious as dying probably requires some hand-waving no matter what you play.
>>
File: image.png (521 KB, 1800x2250) Image search: [Google]
image.png
521 KB, 1800x2250
RuneQuest 6 is the souls RPG. The system is perfect for souls games. Better than anything else.

Best combat, dangerous, crazy customizable, emphasis on cults and cultures, many esoteric magic systems, etc. it's great.
>>
>>44406021

I saw a game on here called Knights & Knaves. The setting reminded me of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. The mechanics seemed like they'd work really well for it too. I don't have the PDF for it though and I haven't seen it on here for a while now.
>>
I'd use silhouette
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.