[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/tg/ I am curious, do you allow Drow in your campaign as a PC?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: drow.jpg (153 KB, 725x1101) Image search: [Google]
drow.jpg
153 KB, 725x1101
/tg/ I am curious, do you allow Drow in your campaign as a PC? If yes, do you have restrictions on why/how they can be part of the party? If no, why not?
>>
what a shitty Ashe clone.
>>
>>44400239
>Drow as PC
Yes

>Restrictions?
Don't be a dick or a character counter-productive to the party
>>
>>44400239
>Drow in your campaign

>Drow in OPs pic
The Drow people, short, trollish, and considered rather repulsive with rough asymmetrical skin, often covered in warts and whiskers. Often considered a quiet and shy people. Naturally skilled in Stealth, silence, and subtlety, if not physique.
>>
>>44400253
>Shitty Ashe Clone
>Drow Ranger came out in Dota before LoL ever existed

Lazy fag can't even check facts, fail troll is fail
>>
Yes
Matriearchy bdsm fetish not included, nor any of the predetermined alignment bullshit.
>>
File: _You__0.gif (973 KB, 225x202) Image search: [Google]
_You__0.gif
973 KB, 225x202
>>44400429
>>
>>44400239
Yes. Drow in my setting are different culturally than in the official books. They're xenophobic and insular, but not automatically evil and "Lolth so randum."
>>
>>44400239
Yeah, but they're rare. They're too busy keeping all the mind-bending deep-subterranean horrors at bay.

I kept a lot of the old tropes, but tried to reimagine them as determined protectors rather than CE dickheads. They're still matriarchal, but in a mostly incidental way, like a dwarf clan is patriarchal. Just how it worked out. They still revere spiders, but they see them as representations of the service they provide for the surface world (I.e. Spiders trap and eat pests). They don't get on well with surface elves, but that's mostly because High Elves are dicks (think long lived magical mafia) and wood elves are savages. If one is seen on the surface, they're probably looking for something in specific or trying to find the most important looking surface dweller to warn about some kind of terrible bullshit about to happen.
>>
I do, but the same thing always happens.

>Someone plays a Drow
>Next to none of the lore is used.
>Instead someone plays as a Dunmer with a spider fixation who acts like they grew up in Dwarf Fortress.

Every time. Every single fucking time someone plays a Drow this happens. They always wear the same leather armor and clothes, the same helmet with sunglasses visor thing that people sometimes wore in Morrowind too, to get around the sun weakness.
>>
>>44400239
Yes.
PCs are warned that most people view drow as evilviledemonworshiping murderhobos.

NPCs don't react well to drow.
>>
>>44402497
>grew up in Dwarf Fortress
I feel sorry for other players.
>>
>>44400429
It's pretty clear he was baiting.
>>
I'm currently playing a half-elf drow
>>
>>44400258
>Don't be a dick or a character counter-productive to the party
So the same restriction as every other class?
>>
>>44402386
that sounds cool as fuck.do you need any more players?
>>
>>44400239
Which race gets usually treated worse?
Drow or Tieflings?
>>
>>44400239
They don't exist in the setting I currently run.

In general, a character can't make a monster character and then expect the party to just let them join without reason beyond "but I'm a player character." If the characters are killing goblins, there needs to be a reason your goblin character is accepted by them.

If the players work some kind of story out together, then I allow it unless the monster race would be way overpowered to play.
>>
>>44400429

You have fallen for his trap. Or is this bait as well? Fuck, what a labyrinthean scheme.
>>
>>44405159
Drow. People only bully Tieflings because they're too cute
>>
>>44400239
Yes.

The restriction is that they're not new to the group.
>>
>>44400239
Evil game, we have a super paranoid drow wizard who barely even trusts his own undead creations. They have no will of their own, no ambition to betray him, but what if a cleric or wizard turns them against him?!

There are also 'Dark Elves', a race of bald, brown elves that fall somewhere between elves and drow. Basically the Unseelie version of elves, extreme racists against anyone not of full elven blood.
>>
>>44400239
>As a PC
Yes
>Restrictions
Must be able to speak with an Eastern European/Slavic accent. Must have track pants at the very least. Yes, even the females.
Flat caps also strongly encouraged.
>>
>>44400239
Yes. I got rushed into it when a new player turned up to a session with nothng prepared so I said 'you can choose whatever from the phb'. Guess what? Drow is in the 5ed phb. I sighed and said ok. What made me laugh inside was that he and all the other players seemed to think that he'd be able to just go and buy 'Riddick goggles' at the first opportunity.
>>
>>44405249
I have a cannibalistic Gnoll character who prides himself on regularly being full of elven blood.
>>
>>44400239
I do, I don't see why I should not. I am not a huge fan of race-alignment pairings.
Now the fact that I have a player with a tiefling PC who looks exactly like a drow in a campaign where elves are not a playable race is another matter.
>>
Same anon as >>44406344

The party is playing lost mines of phandelver. Any suggestions for how to tie in a Drow pc, or give his first time dnd player an accurate picture of the race he has chosen without ruining the game for him forever?
>>
>>44406293
Truly a vile and despicable race.
>>
>>44406381
Spare the rod, spoil the child.
>>
>>44402386
This. The biggest difference between a normal PC race and Drow is that Drow starts out with more Lore levels and at a higher starting level.
>>
>>44406435
... there is an actual reason for it, and said player has no fondness for elves anyway.
>>
No, but I do allow Dark Elves. I just dislike the Drow name and how strongly it's tied to a particular mythos.
>>
>>44400429
This is concrete proof that Dotafags are more retarded than Leaguefriends.
>>
>>44406423
A nuu
>>
>>44406344
lol, I guess the entirely new player should have foreseen you'd fuck him at the first opportunity amirite

god forbid he actually enjoys his game
>>
>>44400239
No, but I run pathfinder, and the drow there don't have mary sue/ gary sue powers and are irredeemably evil. Regular elves can turn into drow if they are wicked enough, and the existence of drow is a secret the elvish nations hide from outsider and even their own subjects.
>>
>>44406616
Eh, to be fair, drows are the only race wih a drawback since they come with slightly better bonuses than anyone else but the variant human. If he wants an item to counter that drawback he can not expect it to just appear magically out of nowhere. Granted, the gm should have told him that sunglasses are not available at every corner, too.
>>
>>44406636
Oh, like in the Book of Mormon?
>>
>>44402386
Protector Drow truly are the best Drow, and fantasy really has to do a better job presenting them as a horror buffer instead of stupidly evil.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.