[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
John Wick Presents!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: Blood&MemeMagic.png (152 KB, 300x282) Image search: [Google]
Blood&MemeMagic.png
152 KB, 300x282
What is your opinion on John Wick games? Thinking of getting Blood&Honor
>>
>>44399739
Details please?
>>
File: 1420990608055.jpg (178 KB, 677x960) Image search: [Google]
1420990608055.jpg
178 KB, 677x960
>>44399760
I stumbled across John Wick games like "Blood&Honor" and "Houses of the Blooded." They sounds interesting from what I have read about them. I have been looking at running a samurai game and Blood&Honor is about Samurai Clans. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with his titles.
>>
File: image.jpg (194 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194 KB, 1920x1080
>>44399739
>John Wick
Immediately dropped.
>>
I got blood and honor last year. It's pretty cool, but i hate Wick's attitude about the rules "it's my way and if you don't like go fuck yourself", but i guess i should expect that from that giant arse.
>>
>>44399973
John Wick is an idiot who is really, really factually wrong and won't ever admit it or learn and improve.
L5R suffered for it right up until some of the later devs acknowledged what was wrong and placed the whole setting firmly and explicitly in the "Fantasy vaguely inspired by Japan and other things" category that it always was.
Wick refused to acknowledge that he had gotten a lot wrong and went on to make Blood and Honor, which is even more wrong despite claiming to have a stronger historical basis.
And on top of all that, he's also very "no fun allowed" about it, especially when it comes to Ronin.
>>
>>44400425
Right on the spot
>>
>>44399739
Are you asking for reviews on John Wick's games? Don't you know that's not allowed? He went on a big tirade about it and everything.
>>
>>44400425
Was John Wick the one that wrote that fucking awful DM guide, and encouraged DMs to run games that only min/maxing piece of shit powergaming munchkins could possibly make any progress in, while at the same time recommending punishing any player who actually plays such a character?
>>
>>44400489
Sounds about right, the fact he made a sequel on how to be a piece of shit DM, surprises, saddens and scares me all at once.
>>
>>44400451
Why does he not want people reviewing his games?
>>
The only thing I read from John Wick is a blog post where he went on about how games that "get in the way of the narrative" aren't *really* RPGs and that people who play them are destroying RPGs or some shit. It was dumb.
>>
>>44400451
>He went on a big tirade about it and everything.
I never heard about that. What happened? Do you have a link to his rant?
>>
>>44400529
Completely uneducated guess here, but it's probably the same reason he will never admit to being wrong about historical facts. He's egotistical or something and can't handle criticism at all.
>>
>>44400537
>what qualifies as being a game that is "getting in front of the Narative?"
>>
>>44400564
That wasn't supposed to be green text, but still, what qualifies it, because that sounds very general.
>>
>>44400517
>>44400489
And doing stuff like encouraging players to build full backstories about their hometowns and families... so they can be terrorized and killed for drama.

>>44400425
His "Do you actually *want* to play a homeless person?" reaction to ronin is pretty amazing since he created the boilerplate for Rokugan ronin badasses.
>>
I heard he was back. Is it true?
>>
>>44400992
>And doing stuff like encouraging players to build full backstories about their hometowns and families... so they can be terrorized and killed for drama.

I've played with DMs who I swear took this advice to heart.

He'd bitch and moan about every PC in every game we play are orphans.

Then eventually, someone who doesn't know caves and makes a PC with any kind of person mentioned as alive in their backstory and we'd all groan, sometimes one guy makes an excuse as to why he suddenly can't make it next session.

Then the first session arrives, and we just sit there and watch everyone remotely in good standing with him in his backstory gets captured, tortured, sometimes raped, murdered slowly and horribly, and then rarely raped again, 90% of the time it's Orc raiders.

During this entire time all we can do is sit there and watch as it happens. As in, the DM will flat out deny any action or attempt to stop this madness our characters attempt, if he acknowledges it at all.

Not even chained up, beaten down, or in any way incapable of taking action, other than the fact the DM won't allow it, so we end up in a situation where our friends, families, and loved ones are horribly murderraped 5 feet away from us and our badasses armed to the teeth just stand there watching.

Typically after this is all done, the session just ends. We don't get any exp, or get any chance to roleplay about what just happened, or make any attempt to get revenge on the orc raiders, who just leave after murdering our loved ones.

Then the new guy realizes why we're all orphans all the time and follows suit. Then the next campaign the DM is back to bitching that everyone's orphans again until another new guy takes pity on him, and the cycle begins anew.

Us making fun of the Orc Raiders, and implying it's always the exact same tribe of Orc Raiders always killing people's parents(whom we dubbed the Orphaneers) just gets him pissed, which is always a laugh.
>>
I really liked Houses of the Blooded. I felt like it did a good job having a system that jives perfectly with the fluff. Like a not-shitty Exalted or something.

>>44400544
Yeah, I'd love to read this and laugh at him.
>>
>>44400992
See, now putting a PC's family in danger is fine. Killing them because the player actually fucked up in-character is also fair. GMs that specifically ask their players to include details on their character's family just so they can kill them off are stupid, and someone actively encouraging them to do so is even worse.

His hate-boner for ronin is also annoying as fuck, mostly because I've been itching to play a ronin in L5R for a long time now. Sadly, it's virtually impossible to find a game of L5R online. I keep scanning the gamefinder threads and roll20 anyways though, just in case.
>>
>>44401120
Why do you keep playing with this DM? Legit question, because he seems like a complete shitter.

Why hasn't someone in the group grown a pair and started DMing instead of him, and told him to get out? If this is a recurring thing, the orphaning and the bitching, why don't you you tell him to cut that out or get out?
>>
>>44401120
So why do you putting up with him doing this?
>>
>>44401203
>>44401219
Honestly, after the initial whining and occasional murder-rape session, he's fine and the campaigns aren't that bad.

Just the pre-sessions, and occasional
first sessions, are kinda obnoxious.
>>
>>44401242
Fair enough though I would basically just state the reason why we play orphans is because you're tired of their shit about families.
Normally people can take the criticism in some capacity.
>>
>>44401281
Oh we have, he just tends to get annoyed and basically ignore the advice.

Which is weird because he's actually pretty open to feedback about his campaigns...but the complete and overly violent slaughter of everyone's friends and family is the one thing he flat-out won't budge on, so we just avoid it coming up in the first place.
>>
>>44401324
Have you tried the entire family is actually level 20 barbarians? Or the Tarrasque in disguise?
>>
>>44401373
Not yet, but I doubt he'd accept that as part of the backstory, or would make even more powerful shit come by to deal with them.
>>
I can't lie, when I first saw this thread I thought we were talking about the movie and got excited.

Reading through it, now I'm just fucking sad. Why the fuck does this guy still get work?
>>
>>44400517
He...he made a sequel? Why? Was there not enough terrible advice crammed into the first one?
>>
>>44401622
Most of his stuff is self published I believe.
>>
>>44401622
Because he's competent at game design when not tweaking rules to shit on certain character concepts based on his own beliefs, and is a recognizable name.
>>
File: 591.png (59 KB, 175x247) Image search: [Google]
591.png
59 KB, 175x247
>>44399739
>What is your opinion on John Wick-
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.