[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are reasonable names for space money other than credits?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 37
File: quark_600.jpg (209 KB, 600x460) Image search: [Google]
quark_600.jpg
209 KB, 600x460
What are reasonable names for space money other than credits?
>>
>>44399372
penises
>>
Units
>>
>>44399372
Capital.
>>
>>44399372
Retarded OPs
>>
>>44399417
This one is pretty decent.
>>
>>44399372
Woolongs.

your players will never have any.
>>
>>44399372
Swaff. The S is silent. It's abbreviation for Slaves, Weapons, Air, Food and Fuel
>>
- Scrip
- Chit
- Token
- GalCurr (galactic currency)
- Coin
- Banknote
>>
>>44399441
Story of my life.
>>
>>44399372
Dollars. Even Discworld uses dollars.
>>
Composite Operational Interstellar Notices of Service. Coupons that guarantee use or claim of specific faculties - e.g. exchange for a certain amount of valuable minerals, parcels of land, or usage of a guaranteed computing power for a certain amount of time. C.O.I.N.S. for short.
>>
>>44399372
Double dollars.
>>
c-bills
>>
>>44399372
I remember a Flash game from way back where the new galactic economy was powered by favors.
>>
>>44399372
Depends-on-the-setting
>>
>>44399372
Munny, gil, zeny.
>>
>>44399372
Shekels
Neo-[currency]
>>
>>44399372
Marks.
Change.
Tokens.
Portions.
>>
>>44399372
Medium of Exchange Units

Mexits
>>
Memes
>>
>>44399372
>implying a species that has advanced enough to invent and build spaceships and colonize other worlds would still use currency
>>
>>44399576
>neo-shekels
Time to chaos dunk and blow this joint.
>>
File: Herc.jpg (9 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Herc.jpg
9 KB, 200x200
>>44399372
>Dollars, yen, rubles, etc
Just make up a one or two syllable word that doesn't sound wholly retarded and call it that.
>>
>>44399372
Intergalactic Exchange Bonds. X-Bonds.
>>
>>44399594
So you're saying Mexits can do the job?
>>
Marios
Sonics
>>
>>44399372
Currence.
>>
>>44399610
>wholly
>>
>>44399372
Stellar Common Currency
Joules
Ducats
Space-bux
>>
>>44399606
Lemme grab some chups first.
>>
>>44399496

Even without the acronym, basing it on coupons for genuine things seems interesting, essentially preventing inflation. With smart paper money, it could even update to reflect relative value should things change.

Base currency should be something common, that everyone needs. A night's lodgings, a meal, a unit of energy, whatever seems appropriate to the setting. Like a gold standard, except something more functional than gold.

Face value of all other coupons updates automatically to reflect their value relative to the base item, and all merchants hooked into the official system are obligated to take it.

Private citizens, and therefore gray/black markets, can decide whether the face value is acceptable to them- but any real arbitrage will make itself felt in the real market fairly quickly to correct the imbalance.
>>
>>44399372
If your currency is based on precious metals or other valuable items (like spice or food rations) use weights. Yeah, that costs 3 grams here.

If it uses coin like currencies try
>chips
>discs

Or try something abstract, like naming them after their color or government of order
>Hey, can I borrow 30 greens?
>We only accept martian money here.
>>
>>44399663
Yeah I'd like to pretend that's my idea and I didn't steal it from a sci-fi novel. But it's essentially the same idea as: >>44399449
>>
>>44399489
Marx: a.k.a. red cents
>>
>>44399622
One Mexit is equal to one hour of labor by a Space Mexican.
>>
>>44399663
>Like a gold standard, except something more functional than gold.
It can actually probably be all elements, just a different amount of each. Like you can always exchange 1 universal coupon for a given weight of a specific element.
>>
>>44399372
Buckazoids.
>>
>No quatloos yet
I'm disappoint in you, /tg/.
>>
What did they use in Farscape?
>>
File: space cops.jpg (67 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
space cops.jpg
67 KB, 480x360
Space cash
>>
Bottled screams.
>>
>>44399663
>having a commodity currency
Eugh
>>
>>44399727

You know, despite being a fan, I have no idea.

The characters went from having literally no money to having way more money than they could ever use. At no point did actually using specific amounts ever really feature into the plot.
>>
>>44399372
Starbucks
>>
File: 1385805236321.jpg (35 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
1385805236321.jpg
35 KB, 768x576
>>44399764
That'd make robbing space coffee joints awful confusing anon.
>>
The real thing to do is track one number, but call it something different every time you reference it in game.
>>
>>44399764
are they going to be poor or will they have a latte of them? ha. ha. kill me now.

>>44399372
You could just do the proper thing and give them a setting unique name. Nobody'll give two shits if they're paying in klegans or credits. Fuck, everybody knows what gil is.
>>
>>44399372

Eclipse Phase has an interesting take. Since there's no need for currency, people trade reputation and favours.
>>
>>44399758
According to the wiki, it flip flops between actual currency and items they traded for currency. Kelvic crystals, something called mesot, crindar is the Scarran currency, corvinium, karack metallite, borinium ingot. A lot of the time, they just use the word currency.
>>
>>44399746

Pure fiat currencies annoy a lot of people. Is it crazy that eventually they might get to have things their way again? Really, the 'value' of a dollar is honestly whatever upsets people the least these days, and it might end up being that what people really want to use is a commodity currency, even with it's flaws.
>>
>Quark.jpg
>No one has said Latinum the whole thread
>>
File: ningi.jpg (277 KB, 1024x688) Image search: [Google]
ningi.jpg
277 KB, 1024x688
>>44399372
There is no currency.

...Though HGTTG had some hypothetical ones.
>>
>>44399823
It always bothered me how Platinum was just Latinum with like the big L flipped around and another little L added to it. I mean they discovered a whole new material element that we use in all sorts of shit and they seriously named it after some bullshit from Star Trek?
>>
>>44399372
rapedollars.
>>
>>44399372
Tender.
>>
>>44399814
>Pure fiat currencies annoy a lot of people.
But what constitutes a commodity is also fiat. A country with bountiful food supply but little energy production would prioritize the latter as a "commodity" over the former. Really, whining about "pure fiat" is whining about state fiscal controls, which aren't ameliorated by so-called commodity currencies because the state still has the capacity to focus on one commodity over another, be it physical currency or the goods they're based on. People would always want to trade what they have in lieu of currency because it's quicker and is generally easier to game. Hell yes I'd trade a few of my grandma's fake diamonds for a house some idiot thinks is worth it.
>>
>>44399959
I think it's sort of impacted by how much of space is colonized and how easy it is to move goods. If you have considerable FTL and universe-wide production there won't be a shortage of anything.
>>
>>44399372
TEQ (tradable energy quota)
>>
>>44399959

You kind of missed the point. It is not necessary for money to be worth any specific amount of anything, only that it be useful.

If what is useful, in terms of being psychologically comforting, is the ability to always exchange a certain amount of money for a specific thing, that becomes reasonable.

In a far future society, the use of interest and exchange rates to determine the value of currencies is probably going to be buried so deeply in computer systems that it will be beyond human recognizance anyways. Allow the computer which determines the proper value of a currency to also determine the supply of a particular thing, electricity being easiest, and you've created a commodity currency which is also being constantly moderated the way a fiat currency would need to be.

You're assuming that ordinary people with limited information are going to continue to assign the value of a commodity- stupidly, based on your example. That's true now, but assuming the future will always be that way is absurd.
>>
Planets
Space stars
Stats
Buxxxxs
Trumps
Station
Intergalactic bootie from the great abyss
Dolloridoos
Fucks
Snapper
>>
EMA or energy/mass allocation. Taken from Peter F. Hamilton's Void Series.
>>
>>44399890
I'll take the bait.

Platinum was discovered in 1735.
Gold-Pressed Latinum was made up for Star Trek in the 1990's.

Were you seriously claiming that Platinum is named after Latinum? Or did I just go pants on head? I believe the pants are on your head, anon.
>>
>>44399746
Impossible to have anything else in space. Unless central banking has discovered FTL communications to make a fiat system in space workable.
>>
>>44399727
They mostly bartered IIRC. They'd trade precious jewels stolen from a vault for food.
>>
>>44400196
Another fun fact: Dilithium is a real molecule. In Star Trek it is an element, but Li2 is a gas.
>>
Do you have space pirates? Doubloons.
>>
>>44400068
>>44400060

>energy

It's kind of funny to think about dudes in spaceships considering laser blasts in terms of how much $$$ it'll cost them. I mean, I guess you get that now with munitions too.
>>
>>44399372
Guild Bank Vouchers, or GBV, or just Vouchers.
>>
>>44400214
Why? Just have locally regulated fiat currencies. If FTL isn't possible, then it's at least 15 years or so to the nearest system. You ain't gonna ruin any economies speculating on 15 year old information.
>>
>>44400068
>That's true now, but assuming the future will always be that way is absurd.
How is it absurd to presume people in the future won't be stupid? Come on now. You're describing a perfect society with consistent value systems stretching across light years. You're assuming far more than I am.
>>
File: BluesBros.jpg (209 KB, 1044x1244) Image search: [Google]
BluesBros.jpg
209 KB, 1044x1244
>>44400214

>you can travel FTL and it takes like anywhere from several days to several months to get from place to place
>actual countries in history had fiat currencies when these were the standard travel times
>but because it's the future, we can't have fiat currencies without FTL communications because central banks need to adjust their various money supply knobs all the time, instantaneously
>even though central banks today don't do that at all, and indeed go for years without changing some of the more important knobs

bruh

you gotta stop

bruh
>>
>>44400366
I remember something about a plug in for one of the browsers that converts any usage of cruise missiles into the equivalent in full-ride college scholarships.

Fact is, the military rarely worries about the cost of a particular piece of equipment as long as it was necessary to accomplish the mission. When I was in, if the mission called for three 500 pounds bombs launched in two sorties, what that might cost wasn't ever considered. Congress has to account for the cost overall, but it's basically a single line item in an emergency war funding bill.

Now, mercenaries, smugglers, or rebels might seriously need to consider that sort of thing. If they run out of money, or fuel, they might not even be able to make it back to get their reward for the mission.

Or corporate security forces, having to worry if their department budget covers firing the guns an additional time to make sure, or if it's going to be coming out of their pay when the total cost is calculated.
>>
>>44400404
Fuck off, I'm describing no such thing.

What I'm describing is the height of pandering and lazy fixes. Taking the human need for security and automating it so that no one actually has to take responsibility.

Humans being stupid won't change much- humans actually deciding things will. A commodity currency is pretty easy to configure as a goal for an artificially intelligent system, and managing the supply of a single item as much so.

The actual exchange rate would be decided by aggregate human stupidity- much like the stock market.
>>
>>44399372
Bit coin 2.0
>>
>>44400476
Can imagine a mercenary contract which is like 'will fire main cannon up to 3 times only'
>>
>>44399372
Woolong
Zeni
Chips
Millis (as in milligrams of unubtanium)
Currs (short for currencies)
>>
>>44399537
40,000,000,000 of them to be precise
>>
>>44399764
Came here to post this
>>
Dollarydoos
>>
>>44400689
>Zeni
Holy fuck, that brings me back.
>>
>>44399802

Except for all those who use inner-system credits, of course, including Extropia. Or that wierd resource-allocation-for-investment currency that commie faction uses.
>>
File: header_eye_divine_cybermancy.jpg (40 KB, 482x250) Image search: [Google]
header_eye_divine_cybermancy.jpg
40 KB, 482x250
>>44399372
Brouzouf.
>>
>>44399372

In the galactic core where of the civilization are mostly just communal AI Dyson clouds, the only tradable commodity is solar energy time and area.

The main unit that the machines offer organics after the Terran-Silicon Peace Accords is the Sprite.

A Sprite is the equivalent, correcting for energy received by a square meter of space over the course of 24 Terran hours at 50 light seconds from a F0-class star at 50% hydrogen depletion. One second is equal to 1,420,405,751.77 wave cycles from a photon emitted from a hydrogen atom changing electron states.

Sprites are subject to heavy localized inflation. In the thickest portion of the arms and core, a Sprite is roughly equivalent to Terran Protectorate's currency: The Big Mac. (A unit roughly equivalent to 800 organic calories.) Rimward, where stars are rare and transportation costs skyrocket, a Sprite is roughly equivalent to the yearly income of the average organic engineer.
>>
>>44400954
Been reading about dyson clouds because of this. Is the idea that they send beams of energy from the satellites to the planets or ships, which are then used as normal power?
>>
Moolah.
>>
>>44399840
There will always be a currency as long as we never fall down back into bartering.

It has nothing with how much material worth it has or what it holds, simply what the people who want the currency believes it's worth.

In a post-scarcity setting it's probably something like faebook likes or something like that.
>>
>>44400853
>Or that wierd resource-allocation-for-investment currency that commie faction uses.
The Titanians?
>>
Dosh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULeDlxa3gyc
>>
>>44400954
You know, Calories are just 1000 calories, which are already a standard unit of heat. Usually when I see food from Europe or Asia, the labels even are marked as kcal.
>>
>>44399372
Fiats.
>>
>>44399372
Brouzoufs - only acceptable currency of the future
>>
>>44401310
Ohh... I see what you did there, you cheeky bastard!
>>
>>44399372
Yen, Yuan, Dollars, Rubles, and some alien shit.
>>
Kroner, pounds, dollars, yen, Kerenskys.
>>
Egg banjos

Beer tokens
>>
Standard.
Simple and effective.
German ß as symbol.
>>
File: dyson-sphere-artist-2.jpg (975 KB, 1400x788) Image search: [Google]
dyson-sphere-artist-2.jpg
975 KB, 1400x788
Sprite/Big Mac Science Fag responding

>>44400990

Honestly, since energy is actually what you need for life, both silicon and organic, you just construct ecosystems and design custom made life for the dyson ring/cloud/sphere. At half of Mercury's orbit, you have many orders of magnitude more usable space than any planet for organic life, as long as you figure out the water cycle, radiation shielding, and other important stuff. Honestly, you're best off transferring to silicon and living in the cloud a few centuries before you settle on a path in life. Take freelance super computing work with your low level math functions and spend the rest of your time navel gazing around a main-sequence star until you decide you want to weave Gilorian sex baskets for a couple thousand years.

>>44401145

Yes, I meant kcal by "organic calories". The idea being that silicon life is worried about solar output and organic life is worried about making enough ATP everyday. They don't really compete for the same resources and both are staring down the barrel of Universal Heat Death. A being can transfer back and forth between silicon and organic living several times before data irregularities render their consciousness mostly static.
>>
>>44401037

Yes, those fags.
>>
Bits.
Current.
Gold piece.
>>
>>44401760
>gold standard
Rand paul, plz.
>>
shekels
>>
It returns to a bartering system for the typical adventuring space-goer. Different planets are bound to have their own strange currency, Interplanetary economics are going to be overly complicated, perhaps too involved for the typical gamer. If the setting has rare minerals or easy to carry resources that players could carry about they're more likely to use them for trading with these systems.
If the players frequent only one or so locations they'd probably stick to local currency though.
>>
File: falout_botte_caps.jpg (188 KB, 940x420) Image search: [Google]
falout_botte_caps.jpg
188 KB, 940x420
Caps.
>>
>>44399372
Gold.
>>
Shekels.
Chits.
Rubals.
Marks.
>>
>>44399553
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/495164

Was it this?
>>
>>44401815
>implying there won't be interplanetary trade unions
>implying anyone doing any kind of seriouse business won't just use the currency of the largest space economy
> implying there want be space dollars and space Euros and standard maintained space exchange rates.
>>
File: 1438413272069.jpg (124 KB, 500x743) Image search: [Google]
1438413272069.jpg
124 KB, 500x743
Crebits
>>
File: 5E_bard.png (437 KB, 850x667) Image search: [Google]
5E_bard.png
437 KB, 850x667
>>44399610
rubles sounds pretty fucking stupid.
>>
Cyber dong.
>>
Grams palladium.

Also, spacebux.
>>
>>44401940
>implying
No, I'm literally spelling it out stupid. Look how many different currencies are on our planet alone. We're likely talking about numerous solar systems, which will each do things their own way. Go ahead and get space ruble bills in flying robot carpet planet, but you won't be able to use those worthless paper trinkets on abominable snowbeast world when that yeti bitch tows your junked out ship and wants money for the repairs upfront.
Food, Supplies, Weapons, etc., those can be traded out just about anywhere with a bit of haggling. When the nearest Federal Trade Union ATM is lightyears away and your buddy is going to be ripped in two by some eight -foot tall gorilla/shark gene splicer thug collecting a debt you better have something tangible to give him right now or he's gonna learn his place on the space food chain.
>>
>>44399372
Bytes. In the Star Trek future, the only thing of value is digital storage space, so you use it as the medium of exchange as backed by an interplanetary network of solar servers.
>>
Galactic Standard Currency, usually referred to as Standards in common parlance.
>>
I use "Teeth" for the sketchy underground black market stuff

Probably not literal teeth though.
>>
>>44402067
But flying robot carpet planet and abominable snowbeast world along with metallic mantis moon all have a tarrif free trade agreement and since it would be silly to be constantly exchanging currencies they use crystalline promissory nodes as a single currency in their trade bloc. The winged bivalves of tandoon also use the nodes even though they aren't in the trade bloc because of their close proximity to trade routes and because their own currency is not as strong.
>>
>>44402137
That's nice.
If you want to play imagination wrong.
Ya boring dingus!
>>
>>44402159
I'm just saying even in the asshole of Eastern Europe where their local currency is Carved sticks you can still buy shit with Euros and US dollars. You don't have to resort to trading raw copper to fill up your car.
>>
>>44402215
Ah yeah, no man, that's great Steve. I mean, it's your game. Do what you want. If the Metal plated Mantis monster people want to trade pink faggot crystals to the Snuggle Bear Empire for backscratchers it's all good. I mean, sure. I was skeptical at first, but I guess the Intergalactic Skymall could work on paper. Isn't so wonderful that literally everyone in the universe just uses one currency. Even the people we haven't encountered yet. No no man, I'm not being sarcastic, I understand it's just easier for you to run.
>>
>>44402279
OK, Randy. Have fun trying to run your communist barter system on the galactic fringes where nobody speaks Space Esperanto. Hope you took points in learning the language specific to each planet you are going to visit.
>>
File: 1450245746477.jpg (88 KB, 640x735) Image search: [Google]
1450245746477.jpg
88 KB, 640x735
>>44399441
*Wulongs
>>
>>44402467
Pffft, yeah like I'm not prepared Steve. I dumped my extra points into my translator droid, just for the obscure stuff anyway. As a plus he makes for a great decoy when shit goes down. I can just trade out those cool weapons we got from those fungus morphs to get parts for the next one if that happens. Oh, okay I guess I can sell those at half price for those pink space nozzle things. Oh no, don't worry, we'll go to the Spacemall when we're done. Can't wait to visit the food court and do normal everyday earth transactions with aliens that may as well be normal jerkoffs in costumes. Oh yeah whatever, I guess the blue alien babe is kinda hot. Oh shit, four pair of tits? I hope she accepts faggot crystals too.
>>
>>44402552
This is why we don't play SF anymore. You get all autismal the moment an interplanetary currency is mentioned.
>>
>>44399372
Minglions
>>
>>44399372
Spacebucks. Trust me I just watched Spaceballs
>>
I always wonder about something like dark eldar currency. Like a kabal producing "souls" to pay and facilitate trade. 1 soul = 1 base slave. And then dividing from there. half souls, quarter souls and so on. The currency being backed by the fact you can exchange it for a slave with whatever kabal.

As for what they would be called could be as plain as souls, or maybe Black Hearts or even Vects.

As for normal currency in space RPGs. I'd probably go the nicaraguan cordoba route of just naming them after a founder, or something.

20 Armstrongs for a can of coke, fucking outrageous.
>>
>>44400449
>actual countries in history had fiat currencies when these were the standard travel times
Please tell me a stable fiat currency in this situation because I cannot think of any.
>>
File: extra03-04.jpg (670 KB, 1400x1082) Image search: [Google]
extra03-04.jpg
670 KB, 1400x1082
>>44399392
>Laughs derisively.
>>
>>44402637
Sorry, I forgot your allergies to fun and excitement. I'll jut dial it back a bit. Not trying to diss your non-interactive play-style. Please, do go on about how capitalism is so ingenious that it's literally worshiped in your setting. Oh yeah, we should totally be Financial Crusaders, converting over the dirty stick traders into our fiat monetary choice. Traders shouldn't even be allowed to exchange goods. It should be a purely space node for space node process. People will just eat nodes, throw nodes at each other for weapons, and drink from your almighty teat of legal node tender. Space should just work like it does on Earth in developed nations. Like second Earth, but less gravity and space bitches. We'll just stop adventuring and start investing into the interplanetary node market and before you know it we'll be huffing space node dust off of a quad of azure hued breasts. Not really what I was expecting, but sure man, it's your thing and we'll go with it.
>>
>>44402662
I don't think the soul currency would work out. I'm not sure if the value of each soul would be equal to that of the next one, but the value of each slave would certainly be different.
>>
>>44402765
I don't know whether I'm more disgusted or interested in this as a mechanic. I think I've been here too long.
>>
>>44402916
What else are you going to do with all those orc dicks?
>>
File: trigun.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
trigun.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>44399537
>>
File: 1450280373885.gif (1 MB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1450280373885.gif
1 MB, 800x533
>>44402931
>One of my characters is obsessed with the fact that he is an orc, and therefore his character must have a massive horsecock, because he thinks this game is his magical realm.

>I now have a campaign hook.
>>
>>44402984
>characters
meant >player

I'm GM.
>>
>>44402890
yeah thats a good point. oh well.
>>
>>44402990
>Now you're in MY magical realm Jerry!
>The Elven Orc-cutter readies his razored edge blade!
This kills the game.
>>
>>44399372
Standardized Resource Claims: Starcs.
>>
>>44399372
Space Gold
>>
>>44399372
¥€$
>>
>>44399553
That would be called 'A Small Favor', anon. Has a sequel.
>>
>>44399606
How about spacekels?
>>
>>44403009
Well don't give up yet, it could work. You'd just have to make the slaves nearly identical. Golems, clones, insect-like race. You have options.
>>
>>44400196
>Platinum was discovered in 1735.
>Gold-Pressed Latinum was made up for Star Trek in the 1990's.
Ferengi got their grubby hands on Time Travel. Big lobed fucksticks.
>>
>>44399372
Star Bucks
>>
>>44399372
Star Groats
Quidbucks
Standard Exchange, monetary unit symbol:$€x
>>
>>44402734

The greenback. The US never held strictly to the gold standard, especially in the first half of the 1800s.
>>
neosheckles
>>
File: mr evil.jpg (130 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
mr evil.jpg
130 KB, 1252x1252
>>44399372
BILLION credits.

Like, BC, or something.
>>
>>44401973
Because they are.
>>
>>44399372
Dicks.
>>
>>44403990
Make the monetary system's shorthand a euphemism for blow jobs.

I'll give you five BJ's for that vorpal sword sir!
>>
File: of course.jpg (36 KB, 464x321) Image search: [Google]
of course.jpg
36 KB, 464x321
Bison Dollars
>>
Let us assume that civilizations advanced enough for FTL understand the worth of energy. Let us assume that currency is backed by energy, and purchasing represents an exchange of energy for goods and/or services.

Let us arbitrarily assume that the politicians who started energy-backed currency could only think of joules when they were trying to figure out what unit to name the new currency after.

The Joule Exchange Unit is a bit of a mouthful, so everyone just calls them JEUs.
>>
>>44399372
Pieces?

Everything is made of pieces, everything can be sold in pieces.
>>
>>44404757
>JEUs
Consider me chuckling.
>>
>>44404719

So, would a good nickname for them be Shadollareyloos?
>>
>>44402467
Surely a barter system would be easier to run than keeping tabs on money all the time, also allows for more interesting player/alien interaction because you have to actually know what a race might want for trade
>>
>>44399814
Fiat currency annoys me because I don't understand how it works.
>>
>>44400874
This would only work in a campaign where players are constantly worried about the state of their legs.
>>
>>44401621
>Using the Esset as a symbol
It stands in for 'ss' you twat.
>>
>>44405774
At least, ss will make the world go 'round.
>>
>>44399372
(You)s
>>
File: God_(Non-Existance_of).jpg (181 KB, 800x520) Image search: [Google]
God_(Non-Existance_of).jpg
181 KB, 800x520
>>44401032
You... Really need to read that book. The lack of currency in the universe has nothing to do with economics or trade, but the absurdity of existence. There's, similarly, no life in the universe, and any life forms you do encounter are merely the result of a deranged imagination.

Granted, even with the less comical angle, that isn't necessarily true, but you're mostly looking into such crazy things as the species being unified into a single consciousness or living in an entirely virtual world at that point, or some draconian crackdown on trade itself.
>>
>>44399372
Years, months, days, hours, minutes, seconds...

Blood, also good, Air, Life Units. Something that in some grimdark way, expresses what money actually is, in any verse where life sustaining resources require currency to be acquired.

Doesn't work so well in an "economy" like Star Trek's Federation, but well, as Quark says, the Federation is boring.
>>
>>44402984

>Image of moderate shock value
>Someone steals its concept for their latest campaign

Never change, /tg/
>>
>>44402916
And there's a lot more where that one came from, that goddamn comics is one of the rare few examples of biopunk done right. Or done at all in the first place.
>>
>>44399802
>trade reputation

>wow that galaxar may go all the way to the championship this year huh?
>eh, I'm not really following him anymore
>why not?
>well, he got a bunch of apples at a stand and didn't want to owe the guy a favor
>eh, good point
>oh, but that apple salesman guy? He's goin' places, let me tell yah
>>
>>44399372
Spice, since it must always flow.
>>
>>44405960
Does that make hookers "Spice Girls"? (Or is that just too redundant?)
>>
File: best friends forever.jpg (232 KB, 970x563) Image search: [Google]
best friends forever.jpg
232 KB, 970x563
>>44399372
USD
>>
>>44406038
>two autistic (one quite literally) sperglords that would doom humanity to the age of strife if left to their own devices
>"God-Emperor"
>>
>>44399372
Jewgolds
>>
>>44401963
What the fuck is that garbage
>>
File: 1443211949458.jpg (32 KB, 640x410) Image search: [Google]
1443211949458.jpg
32 KB, 640x410
>>44399392
>>
>>44406077
so.. just like the actual emperor?

Except trump cannot be stumped so better than the big E.
>>
File: gibe memes boss.jpg (49 KB, 358x429) Image search: [Google]
gibe memes boss.jpg
49 KB, 358x429
>>44399600
this
>>
>>44406038
>>44406416
>reminder that Big E is anatolian
>>
>>44399600

Will there be objective rarity standards by which to value my Pepes?
>>
>>44406446
Of course, just like ancient coins. A foil limited edition pepe with a printing error will be worth a class M planet.
>>
>>44406441
Just like Hector of Troy.
>>
File: smugness cascade.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
smugness cascade.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>44406473
>this is what frog posters actually believe
Pepes will never be worth more than smug grills
>>
>>44406038

>God-Emperor unites all humanity, sacrifices himself for the good of us all
>Trump and Putin only in it for themselves, sowing religious and racial discord

They're more likely to be Chaos infiltrators, sent back through time to undermine Holy Terra before the Imperium can establish itself.

I'm pretty sure Trump's hairpiece is actually a Tzeenchian mind-control parasite
>>
>>44406501

Are we not going to work on a Comprehensively Agreed Trade Mechanism Arrangement Capital Recognition Ordnance basis? It's the institutional foundation of memeing...
>>
>>44406501
>Being this hard in denial
Inflation depreciated SAGs in a hard way. Those shitty third-world planets that still cling to SAG currency need a wheelbarrow of them to buy a loaf of bread. Hell look at your own post if you want an example of inflation gone rampant.
>>
>>44399372
bitcoin
>>
>>44406570
Too unbelievable, even for science fiction
>>
>>44406553
>frog poster
>talks about inflation
As soon as the Reddit-federation started printing pepes, your currency lost all worth. Smugs are the gold standard
>>
>>44406626
If smugs are worth so much, why do you need dozens at once (as per your prvious post) to match a single Pepe?
>>
>>44399372
Shekels
>>
Doubloons
>>
C.O.I.Ns
Currency
Of
Interstellar
Nations
>>
>>44401310
>Fiats.
>>
>>44399372
General Obligate Liquidity Device
>>
>>44406582
Aside from the adoption issue, what do you consider implausible about it?
>>
>>44399372

kredits
>>
pony points
>>
>>44399372
Imperial Oligarchic Units
>>
>>44407223
kr3d1ts
>>
>>44400106
>Fucks

THE commodity currency.

Also you get to have the following exchange:
"Would you like to donate to..."
"Sorry, I'm all out of Fucks."
>>
>>44407196
Anyone using it for anything but drugs and illegal pornography
>>
>>44407273
Craie d'Hyte
>>
File: 11369266_gal.jpg (29 KB, 462x265) Image search: [Google]
11369266_gal.jpg
29 KB, 462x265
Eyes.
>>
>>44404719
>Not Bison Bucks
>>
Gooble Cranks
>>
File: starbucks-ring.jpg (35 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
starbucks-ring.jpg
35 KB, 340x340
>>44399764
Doesn't even look that bad as a symbol.
>>
>>44406665
That wasn't to match. That was a nigga bitchslapping you with his wad.
>>
File: Crusader fem.jpg (39 KB, 477x393) Image search: [Google]
Crusader fem.jpg
39 KB, 477x393
>>44406077
>>44406506
>sowing racial and religious discord
>advocate for putting unruly races and religions in time out until they can learn to stop beheading everyone that disagrees with them.
>discord

Okay buddy, treasure that degree while people still value it as more than a good firestarter.

>pic related, another "evil" nationalist that upheld law and cast out foreign hordes
>>
>>44407727
>These girls are gene-modded to have the smuggest faces in twelve galaxies. You won't find a better offer anywhere else.
>>
>>44407828
Except she is a witch, and was rightfully burned as one.
>>
>>44408226
t. Albert Barber
>>
File: 3874.jpg (43 KB, 1080x608) Image search: [Google]
3874.jpg
43 KB, 1080x608
>>44399600
Nailed it
>>
Baconburgers.
>>
File: hitlah.jpg (44 KB, 1087x1442) Image search: [Google]
hitlah.jpg
44 KB, 1087x1442
>>44407828
>pic related, another "evil" nationalist that upheld law and cast out foreign hordes
I know right? Why is everyone against it? Pic related did the same thing and people just bitched bitched bitched.

It's almost like culture, politics, and religion are complex issues that can't just be handled with broad-spectrum politicking.

But that'd be just crazy. Right?
>>
I've hear pledges used in a film but I can't remember what it was.
>>
>>44410256
Starship Troopers. "Pledges" are oaths to the government.
>>
>>44399372
Bad dongs
>>
>>44410351

That was way funnier than it should have been.
>>
File: Sternn.jpg (26 KB, 490x323) Image search: [Google]
Sternn.jpg
26 KB, 490x323
>>44399721
>not using zulaks
>>
>>44400734

came here to post this.
>>
>>44399372
Dollars is fine. You're probably translating from space languages anyway.
>>
Neo-Shekels
>>
File: the truth of the matter.jpg (733 KB, 1561x882) Image search: [Google]
the truth of the matter.jpg
733 KB, 1561x882
>>44409911
First off
>Hitler
>doing anything wrong

Secondly,
It's not that complicated. You have a population of persons native to a region, they live simply and only ask the government to look out for their best interests. When that government starts putting the interests of others before the interests of the constituents who uphold it, it loses the right to rule.

You're literally getting pissed at a man who is advocating for
1-upholding the laws we ourselves put in place regarding borders and immigration
2-preventing a mass influx of persons whose culture is undeniably linked to hostility and violence toward the rights of others, in the best interests of the persons who elect representatives to safeguard their rights from threat
3-monitor persons and organizations that have numerous red flags attached to their records (which we already do, btw)

Now the third is the only bit of his approach that even his constituents object to, but honestly there isn't a candidate out there who is against this so it's a moot point. (inb4 muh magic Bernie paradise)

also
>thank God we traded one nightmarish dystopia for another
>>
File: 1449016208884.gif (426 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1449016208884.gif
426 KB, 400x300
>>44410552
Is...is that...Lincoln S. Stern? You got some nerve showing your face here you detestable freak!
>>
Blarts.

They are crystals that vary in color. Few colors are rarer than others and due to the crystalline structure will break down into the same shape every time and will never vary and breakage amount you get per break per size. As soon as get get to a certain size, their structure is so solid they become indestructible. The size is about the size of a US quarter.

The lore of this money? No one knows it because these crystals came from alien farts from a civilization that is long gone. They use crystallized alien farts as a currency and these crystals were only found on a few planets where the alien raced colonized. So they are considered "plentiful" but there is not nearly enough to devalue these crystals into a worthless currency.
>>
File: smug anime girl.png (300 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
smug anime girl.png
300 KB, 355x355
>>44410981
>Blarts
>>
>>44399372
16 As = 1 Denarius = 1 day menial labor
25 Denarius = 1 Aureus

As human (or xeno) labor will always be a scarcity, it makes a good basis for your currency.
>>
>>44411267
I didn't even think about that. Just imagine if you try to analyze the crystal structure so you can find out why it is indestructible it is just the movie paul blart 2 always on repeat and each molecule is just a paul blart meme.
>>
>>44399685
So enchiladas are dirt cheap and proper maintenance on machinery is impossibly expensive?
>>
File: starbuck_by_diablo2003.jpg (370 KB, 961x831) Image search: [Google]
starbuck_by_diablo2003.jpg
370 KB, 961x831
>>44399764
http://benjamin-the-fox.deviantart.com/art/Starbuck-67549133
>>
>>44400196
I pray to all that is holy, and unholy that you are correct anon.
>>
File: 1441909445300.jpg (494 KB, 955x1254) Image search: [Google]
1441909445300.jpg
494 KB, 955x1254
So from this thread I've gathered there's a few possibilities for futuristic currency.

One is a form of Fiat currency that is backed by government alone, one that is probably named for and backed by a powerful leader.

Another is currency backed by rare metals or an energy unit.

Another is a currency backed by labor or time spent doing the labor.

Any other types you can think of?
>>
You can of course just go with an Eclipse Phase or 40K style "credit score" style of system, and assume the use of barter for anything that falls outside the scope of those.Generally most of these assume some sort of loyalty beyond filthy lucre though.

Hey, you could totally call your space money lucre.

For my space game, I use Imperial Marks for the Empire, Credits for the Alliance, Planetary Units/Units/PUs for Free Traders (that is, one planet's resource production per year, because space decatrillionaire doesn't need to fuck with the small change), and everyone else is pretty much past money as a technology.
>>
File: [HenriIV].jpg (164 KB, 348x413) Image search: [Google]
[HenriIV].jpg
164 KB, 348x413
>>44410896
I'm not pissed at Trump actually, I just don't agree with his policies since they aren't grounded in logic, nor are they inline with the values our nation was founded upon (although I will admit that second point is more of an opinion-based one). To address your points...

>1-upholding the laws we ourselves put in place regarding borders and immigration
I am not against this. We have a system, and it should be what's used. I'm Texan and my state suffers from their presence. Fuck illegals.

That said, people aren't so simplistic you can just declare whole swatches at a time to be horrible or no, which is what Trump is trying to do. So yes, it is that complicated. Anyone unwilling to recognize and deal with this complexity is unworthy of setting state policy. Our nation was built upon the recognition of the individual, our immigration policies should reflect this. Individuals are shaped by the religion and culture they are raised in, but are still individuals. They should be judged on their own merits. We are not a monolithically-cultured Nation State. Either everyone's equal or no one is.

>2-preventing a mass influx of persons whose culture is undeniably linked to hostility and violence toward the rights of others...
Again, we have immigration policies for a reason. If we actually used it properly (screening the legal applicants while ferociously keeping out illegals), such things would be taken care of. Trump is right to call for immigration regulation, but rather than calling for the use of the laws on the book to actually be enforced he's calling for racial supremacist bullshit which is both unethical and ineffective. Again, this nation is about the individual. Keep the radicalized sand-niggers out, let the Iranian doctor who wants to live somewhere safe and is willing to contribute in. We are a nation of immigrants.

[cont]
>>
File: 1367227460185.jpg (41 KB, 464x464) Image search: [Google]
1367227460185.jpg
41 KB, 464x464
>>44412202
>3-monitor persons and organizations that have numerous red flags attached to their records (which we already do, btw)
Yeah, we already do that. We don't need a racial charging for our efforts to be effective. We need to streamline and fund the system that is already there.

The reason I posted Hitler was in jest to your lack of use of rational arguments to refute that Anon in >>44407828 . You just threw out some line about "putting unruly races and religions in time out", which honestly makes you look like just another ignorant 4channer and then belittled his opinion and made some illogical comparison of Trump to Joan of Arc. My point is that you can do that whole "well this is just like X so fuck you" argument with anything. It doesn't prove shit, so don't use it.

Oh, and the whole "one distopia for another" bit? I'm sorry but (and I mean this in the most polite way possible) it makes you sound like an edgelord faggot. We're in the first world and despite what sensationalist media on both sides would say, statistics show the average US citizen is safer than they've been in a very, very long time.
>>
>>44412202
>We are a nation of immigrants.

The irony of this is lost on a great many people.
>>
>>44412202
>Keep the radicalized sand-niggers out, let the Iranian doctor who wants to live somewhere safe and is willing to contribute in.

I'm not sure why this is too complicated for our government and general population to understand.
>>
>>44412264
>>44412299
Unfortunately, people are quick to give in to their instinct to just throw everything into broad-spectrum categories rather than deal with things on a case-by-case basis as reality demands. It's kinda sad that you look throughout history and it's such a rare thing to see actually identified and dealt with. Those groups that do often cease to as their own unique identity solidifies, then the cycle starts again.

Still, while it's sad, don't hold it against them. They're only human, and many don't get the education or other form of worldly exposure to know better.

It still boggles me we force kids to learn chemistry and physics but not sociology, psychology, and anthropology.
>>
>>44399764

you could pin it to the price of a latte
Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.