[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Necromancy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Animate_Bone_Fiend_(large).jpg (23 KB, 248x248) Image search: [Google]
Animate_Bone_Fiend_(large).jpg
23 KB, 248x248
So /tg/, how do you treat necromancy in your settings?

Do you make it inherently evil or just a tool that can be used by anyone?

Are good necromancers a thing?

What about good undead, such as zombies, spirits, or even liches?
>>
>>44395814
>Do you make it inherently evil or just a tool that can be used by anyone?
>Are good necromancers a thing?
>What about good undead, such as zombies, spirits, or even liches?
Every single thread... why do you people keep making a fuss about this?

HURR DURR I HAVE NOT EVIL NECROMANCERS!!! LOOK AT ME I REBEL AGAINST SHITTY STEREOTYPES AND TROPES!!! ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWA!!!

This dead horse has been beaten for so long, anyone can come up a thousand ways to make necromancy "not evil."
>>
>>44395973
>OP asks a question about how you personally do things
>You immediately decide to make a fuss about people making a fuss
>Nobody has even started to make a fuss yet

And the reward for "Paranoid, gunjumping faggot" goes tooo...
>>
>>44396039
Dude's got a point though.
>>
>>44395814
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65mvAELWq_8
>>
>>44395973

I was just wondering what ideas other people run with on the subject man.

>>44396039

Thanks anon, glad I didn't actually come across as how that anon described it.
>>
>>44396064
>Dude's got a point though.
I never said he didn't. I said he was a paranoid, gunjumping faggot.

Imagine if you made a thread about pancakes. And you happen to ask what kind of flour people use in their pancakes. Immediately, someone explodes into a rant about the evils of using a certain companies brand of flour, and calls you a faggot for endorsing it.

It doesn't matter if the company is evil. That's not what was asked. That guy's a paranoid, gunjumping faggot.
>>
I think Chinese Vampires are just corpses reanimated by alchemists for easier transportation. Some can get lost and spread havoc.
>>
>>44395814
In my setting it's evil, because it traps a soul inside a body that isn't it's own and causes anguish and torment to it.

Prolonged stay of a soul in a skeleton/construct will also destroy the soul... while this entropic destruction is taking place, the soul feels terrible pain throughout the whole time.
>>
>>44395814
I like how conquest of Elysium 4 handles necromancy and demonology, where they are very dangerous and people are suspicious of them, but its better to force all these evil things to fight and die for you than leave them free.
>>
It's evil, but resurrection magic is so rare, undead are so useful and unintelligent undead are banned, so while individuals are creeped out by undead on a fundamental level, society sees them as a boon. So while the individuals may be evil aligned by the book, they may not be evil in their actions because no significant amount of people believe them to be evil
>>
>>44395814
Goddamnit now I miss playing GW1
>>
>>44397114
Video related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ITaIOBTIr0&ab_channel=IggySe
>>
>>44397114
It was a great game.

>>44397133
Gods I remember this video so well. Wasn't the winning of some event they ran to make a video?
>>
>>44397114
>>44397284
it's still there, isn't it? just depopulated.

>>44395814
It's seen as risky and complicated to say the least.

Zombie type undead are just golems that are using magic to fire up residual brain functions as well as phantom echos of the former person to effectively bypass the need for very complicated, essentially "magical AI programming" or the minutely more risky 'bind a lesser spirit to golem'.

Problem is, zombies are dead bodies, which are a health hazard, and medical science, for whatever reason, advanced enough that people recognize a walking epidemic risk when they see one. Not only that, but zombies are prone to going berserk because the decaying nervous system will cause basically "misfires" in the magical control.

Skeletons are seen as a safer option, but it's like working a marionette, you need a crapload of skill and finesse to pull off properly controlling even one skeleton, nevermind dozens (though there are people who can do it).

Communing with the dead is common practice and seen as useful, especially to guards, watchmen, and inquisitors to help solve crimes, but there is a window of opportunity that fades more and more as time passes because of reincarnation. (And spirits, unable to move on, are not admissible evidence in some courts)
>>
>>44397388
Quite depopulated.

It's a shame, really, it's still a top notch game but some of its faction and quest elements rely on a certain abundance of players.
>>
>>44395814
In my settings, Magic is an extension of Physics. Which means there are certain laws that all magic follows, which can't be altered. Then there's coefficients which can be altered to suit various tasks. And there's no permanency, unless you have an external power source for spells.

Necromancy is just another form of manipulating local coefficients. And it follows its own set of laws. Saying necromancy is evil in my settings is literally no different from saying gravity is evil.

That being said, necromancy is pretty popular amongst edgy, intelligent teenagers who are just learning magic. Whereas most experienced wizards abandon it as being impractical. Undead don't last that long unless a constant source of ambient radiation is applied over an area, which is hazardous for the wizards themselves, unless you're willing to sweat to death under a fully warded set of full-body robes. Then the process of becoming a lich has a fantastically high mortality rate.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.