[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How important is this guy to tabletop games in general? Seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: photo.jpg (245 KB, 1440x1438) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
245 KB, 1440x1438
How important is this guy to tabletop games in general? Seems like he's a big deal.
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 515x515) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 515x515
>How important is this girl to tabletop games in general? Seems like she's a big deal.
>>
Who?
>>
>>44390617
I haven't watched any of his tabletop shows, so I guess not that important. But he's a valuable insight into being a professional nerd. Learn from his mistakes and his successes. Eat his heart and one day gain his power.
>>
>>44390617
No importance on the whole at all. At most he increases the sales of some games.
>>
File: 1434053258946.jpg (43 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
1434053258946.jpg
43 KB, 500x294
>>44390617
>>
>>44390617
He's about as important as his waifu Anita Sarkeesian is to video games.
>>
>>44390617

Is he that guy from that Big Bang Theory show?
>>
You guys sure do get upset about people in better situations than yours.
>>
>>44390617

Shrug. His show is a good entry way to learn about new games.

In terms of "bringing new people to Tabletop games" I'm skeptical, since I'm guessing TT fans are mostly already gamers.

That said, he's a recognizable face, makes a neat show about the hobby. Seems to generally not be a dick, and even when he does do something that the internet decides it hates, it's usually something you can picture a normal person doing. (i.e. not "spent 40 years raping people")
>>
>>44390617
>How important is this guy to tabletop games in general? Seems like he's a big deal.
He's an ex-actor and moderator of a popular-ish show. More important than the Gentleman Gamer, less important than Dave Bradshaw.
>>
>>44390760
>Seems to generally not be a dick,
Have you actually watched it? He's what I point to when someone wants a definition of "that guy".
>>
I will never understand Wil Wheaton's popularity in the geek world. Yes, he was on Star Trek, but he was Wesley Crusher.
>>
Never heard of him, ever.
>>
>>44390617
By way of force and numbers? Very. He's more or less directly responsible for a number of games going from obscure to out of print and second print in demand. By way of quality? He's more or less left the boat unrocked.
>>
I finally watched an episode not long ago. His X Wing episode.
>Got almost every single rule wrong having not gone over any of the rules or even reference cards
>Didn't use any pilot abilities despite constantly referencing their pilots for jokes
>Rigged the game in the end so the girl could win because she was literally throwing a hissy fit every time someone damaged her ship, no matter how much hull she had left
>All those awful shrieks she made crying about losing every shield

I hope this show isn't important, but whatever. If it brings it to the masses, fine.
>>
>>44390817
Are you autistic? He does next to nothing on most episodes, nevermind anything offensive or irksome. He reads some rules, sometimes has an annecdote. He overplays the him losing all the time jokes a bit, but that's basically it. His guests tend to be more annoying than he is.
>>
>>44390617
Not very, he's just getting a bunch of minor celebrities together to say "Hey, look how cool this kind of niche nerd stuff is, you guys!"
At least stuff like Critical Role is entertaining, all Wil really does is [collectable card game flavor of the month] and the like.
>>
>>44390650
>>44390650
>glasses fixed with tape

How the fuck you guys broke your bridge? I always had the seam screws pop-out and the legs bending, never had any trouble with the bridge.
>>
>>44390892
It's fake nerd glasses fakely broken by a fake punch to her real nose and fake glasses.
>>
>>44390875
>Are you autistic?
>implying Wil isn't every aspect of That Guy and wouldn't be terrible to have in your gaming group
He's a self-important prick. it comes through most in real life, but it's pretty damn clear in his videos.
>>
The only thing good about that channel are the MTG videos, they don't take the game seriously and just have fun with it.

This channel is the rough equivalent of vodka with cranberry juice. Its more for people that don't actually like gaming, to get a small about of gaming information.
>>
>>44390666
Satan, that's Wil Wheaton, a.k.a. Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: TNG.
>>
He's a celebrity figurehead who does a decent job of popularizing games for a more mainstream audience, but he isn't actually important in any real way.
>>
The YouTube show he does is very good for publishers. Sales of featured games boost significantly post broadcast. Don't trust it for learning rules though.
>>
>>44390760
Apparently every game features on his show tends to sell out when he features them, so he does have at least some effect.
>>
File: large.gif (777 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
large.gif
777 KB, 400x225
>>44390617

His fucking ego killed it for me

Loved tabletop when it came out ... now I can't stand the sight of him. His show is just a fucking political soapbox for his sjw agenda. Turned out to be a wolf in nerds clothing.
>>
>>44390863
>His X Wing episode.
watching it now, why do people think Boba Fett is cool agian? all he did was act as pizza delivery boy and die in s shitty way
>>
>>44390832
He wrote a couple essays a while back explaining that he hated the character just as much as, if not more than, everyone else, and that redeemed him in the eyes of most.

Then he started trying to be Super King Bigdick of all nerd things and revealed that he's perfectly hatable for being a smug asshole and never even needed to be Crusher.
>>
mullah kafir
>>
>>44390692
He's done more than you'd care to admit. By the power of good production values & enthusiasm, he's increases the casual board-game market significantly & brought awareness that there are games better than monopoly out there.

He's not the tabletop deity he believes he is but he's pretty influential in the casual market.
>>
>How important is this guy to tabletop games in general?

Not at all. He's just another SJW cashing in on the "nerd" mainstream that's going on. For the longest time he lingered in complete obscurity.
>>
>>44390832
Hey, at least he agrees that Wesley was a Sue and a Roddenberry self-insert.
>>
>>44390617
2/10
Got me to respond
>>
>>44390617
He's a self-important fag.
>>
>>44391119
Eh, name one good character in the star wars universe.
>>
>>44391045
While I kinda like the MtG show, they have had like 70% of people who couldn't care less about the game and 30% uber-spikes. I appreciate the banter occasionally but I still don't get who the target audience would be. For magic players is babby mode and for muggles you aren't really seeing much of the game.

With TableTop at least I've been able to get glimpses of a bunch of games I would't have known otherwise, and from time to time the guests were actually entertaining. However the fact that they got a crowdfunded season turned out to result in them taking the thing too seriously compared to the beginning of the show.

The RPG show was just cringe-inducing.
>>
>>44391258
TR8R
>>
>>44391175
He was writing for Paizo's Dragon run in that time.
>>
>>44391258
>one good character
Luke, Obi Wan, Leia, Han was pretty good
>>
>>44391374
No, no they were not. Seriously, by any understanding of "good character" they all fail quite spectacularly.
>>
>>44391258
General Grievous
>>
>>44391400
He's not terrible, but I still wouldn't call him good.
>>
File: e18.jpg (558 KB, 1988x1445) Image search: [Google]
e18.jpg
558 KB, 1988x1445
>>44391513
All he needs is a small injection of Japan and then she's fantastic.
>>
>>44391258
Do you want the entire universe, and thus every continuity, including "m-muh noncanon!" EU, or only canon sources which narrows it down to pretty much the movies and three books?
>>
>>44391616
Why does Japan have to ruin everything.
>>
File: serveimage.png (642 KB, 1065x779) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
642 KB, 1065x779
>>44391705
No, this is absolutely an improvement.

Also the overwhelming majority of Grieve-tan art is western.
>>
>>44391750
It's horrible, cancerous, weaboo anime-washing.
>>
>>44391705
Grieve-Tan is beloved internationally.

Easily a massive improvement on the asthmatic sadsack that was in the movie.
>>
>>44391773
Nice buzzwords, reddit.
>>
File: r8MmWlI.gif (113 KB, 945x315) Image search: [Google]
r8MmWlI.gif
113 KB, 945x315
>>44391773
>>
File: 1350348276389.png (443 KB, 714x981) Image search: [Google]
1350348276389.png
443 KB, 714x981
>>44391750

I was the OP for the first Grieve-tan thread.

I was originally wanting to fuck with /co/, but man did that blow up in my face.
>>
>>44391622
Canon...modern canon, not the eleven billion other canons there used to be because of all of the retardation that's been piled on this nonsensical universe.

While I admittedly hate Star Wars, I will acknowledge the handful of things it does well.
>>
>>44390892
The original nerd stereotype had the nerd getting punched in the face on a regular basis, whereas Felicia Day just looks like she's been punched on the face on a regular basis.
>>
>>44391119
He looked cool, had a jetpack, and enjoyed disintegrating things. He was everything any kid wanted to be.
>>
Just another washed up celeb riding the nerd/gamer trend. His skills and actual knowledge is subpar, he's 90% a marketing guy. It's like if there was a brand of no-name orange juice from fucking Romania or something that only Romanians drink and no mind is paid to the brand, but if Bieber says it's cool everybody starts importing that shit like it's the elixir of youth.
>>
>>44390617
Uhh. Who is that guy?

I've been gaming for decades and I usually recognise all the big name designers by sight. Is he part of the Pathfinder team or something?
>>
>>44390617

He's a blogger, who gets what little traction he has from having played a bit part in a star trek series twenty years ago.

He plays RPGs, sure. So does my grandmother. He hasn't got the design background to do any decent analysis of the crunch, and, honestly, lacks the academic chops to do any kind of decent analysis of the social issues surrounding gaming.

But don't be a dick about it; he hates the competition.
>>
He's not really "important". He brings in new blood, and that's good, and positive, but I wouldn't really say it's "important". I mean, I guess you could say he's important, but I feel like that's not the right word? Same for >>44390650 they're making these hobbies more mainstream, which is definitely good. They're not at the core, but they're helping it spread. It's good, but not "important". I would say that it's important that people like them exist, though.

>>44391041
If that's what your group's That Guy looks like, you've got an amazing group.

>>44391138
>>44391106
I've never really understood the whole ego thing. It seems to be people who hate him making him a big deal more than him making himself a big deal.
>>
>>44392152
>I've never really understood the whole ego thing

Watch literally any of his tabletop videos, he constantly shouts over everyone and refuses to ever not be the focus of attention.
>>
>>44392002
This whole "that person who's popular for a nerdy thing isn't REALLY a nerd" thing is really fucking stupid. I remember when it only happened with girls. What a world we live in.
>>
>>44392186
I've watched all of them except the second Dread and Mouse Whatever video. I disagree with you.

You think he thinks he's a bigger deal than he thinks he's a bigger deal.
>>
>>44392212
You're blind and deaf.
>>
>>44392192
>I remember when it only happened with girls
Get up with times, we have gender equality now, even boys can be fakers.
>>
>>44392247
You're whiny and petulant.

But then this is a "I hate THINGâ„¢" thread and even the ones I agree with are whiny and petulant. I must be weird but I don't devote much time and energy to things I hate. It's why I stay out of Pathfinder and D&D threads.
>>
>>44392192
Vin Diesel is an actual actor nerd, incredibly passionate and knows his stuff.

Wil Wheton is trying to appoint himself the duke of geekery for attention and its pretty forced.
>>
>>44392276
You're just another guy throwing insults around at this point, you don't exactly hold the moral highground compared to the guy you are talking to.
>>
>>44392247
Nah, but he's forcing me to use terms I despise:
he's a supremely beta tryhard nerd who sees Wil as some kind of alpha nerd he aspires to be. Drinks deeply of the Wheaton Koolaid.

But yeah, I've had to deal with this guy in real life on multiple occasions. He's an insufferable prick. That's not a false persona you're seeing, that's the way he always is.
>>
>>44392294
Vin's great for the most part. I remember seeing a Fast and Furious interview with the cast and all of them were like "OH MAN COWADOODY LOVE THAT SHIT", the woman likes mobile shovelware and you can see Vin playing it chill trying his best not to sperg out about how much he adores tg shit.

My only hiccup (can't even call it a complaint honestly) is that his characters are mostly D&D characters he played on the tabletop. Just recently he's in another movie playing a Witch-hunter character he made for tabletop. Again, it's not a complaint, if anything it's jealousy (as an actor myself)
>>
>>44391393
They're all considered pretty good. People who hate on them usually don't like Star Wars in the first place.
>>
>gets rules wrong
>gets called out on botching the rules
>it's my producer's fault for not informing us of all the rules or stopping production to inform them of proper rules

And all that white knighting for felicia holy shit
>>
>>44391393
>by any understanding of "good character" they all fail quite spectacularly
>Obi Wan, Han Solo
Oh, you're just retarded. That's cool too.
>>
>>44392390
>>44392294
Honestly, Vin Diesel has seemed to know his stuff even less than Wheaton. I watched D&Deisel and it was cringeworthy. He either hasn't played in a long time or he's one of those players I hate having at my table.
He plays his Witch-Hunter character on that show and when he gives the backstory (which is an immortal witch hunter... who's level 6) it's the kind of thing where I'd tell him to leave my table.

He's a nerd, but he's the kind of nerd who'd annoy me more. Wheaton's just the kind of nerd who thinks he's funny. You can roll your eyes at someone and ignore their jokes fine, but it ruins friendships to tell someone their character is fucking stupid.
"What the fuck is a Furyan? No, I'm not going to let you play this stupid shit, roll up a new character or I'm going to make one for you".
(That said I do like Diesel as a person. Dude seems super friendly and also SOO PER MAN; I'd rather hang out with him than Wheaton, for what it's worth, but Wheaton is the one who's more likely to have a house full of games while Diesel is nerdy but also probably only plays D&D)

>>44392317
I never said I do. There's no moral highground to have. His position is "this thing is terrible forever and you're an idiot if you don't see it as terrible as I do" and my position is "Never bothered me".

>>44392324
No I'm not. Also, what?
Dude, I'm not "drinking the Wheaton Koolaid". You're drinking Hatoraid.
I'm not a beta tryhard and I don't aspire to be just like Wheaton. I don't see him as the alpha nerd, either.

My argument is literally the opposite of that, in fact. My argument is that YOU are the only one who has that worldview. You and the people in this thread who think that Wil Wheaton is trying to convert you to the Temple of Wheaton or something like that.
>>
>>44392492
You can't call someone out on something like that without explaining *why* you feel those characters are good characters.
>>
>>44392481
>They're all considered pretty good. People who hate on them usually don't like Star Wars in the first place.
Not by anyone who knows the first thing about writing and isn't looking through the rosey glasses of fanboyism. Quite seriously, there's shitall for development and depth to the original trilogy characters.
>>
Wheaton's not terrible. He gives the hobby some extra visibility and even if he is a prick he's at least enough of a showman to milk his own behavior for humor. Plus, his videos are at least entertaining intros to new games, which can be better than more accurate but harder to sit through playthroughs.
>>
>>44392511
You said they were bad first. So say why they're bad. Burden of Proof and all that.
>>
>>44392562
>No development

You haven't actually seen the OT have you?
>>
>>44392499
I think Vin's problem is that he might have too much child-like enthusiasm. Everything D&D for him is superawesome and he's a real friendly guy so he's the kind guy who'll just pile on all kindsa shit onto one character because he can. Not exactly mary sue but he's like a kid who wants to be fucking superman. You can tell that despite this fault he's very excited to have anything to do with tabletop. I think I'd still prefer him than Wheaton at my table, I mean attitude for me is everything. Someone rolls up a stupid character, you can explain it to him and reach a compromise as he's an understanding guy. With Wheaton he'd likely just either have a bitchfit meltdown or be a passive-aggressive pussyass bitch for the entire campaign.
>>
>>44392492
>retarded
...you're under the impression that Han Solo, one of the literal worst characters (Obi Wan can almost be argued for being good, but no), has a fully developed character arc?

So you know, I'm not using the phrase "good character" to refer to someone who is amusing.
>>
>>44392602
Explain why he's bad then. It's all on you.
>>
>>44392602
Characters don't need to develop in order to be considered "good" they just need to have multiple dimensions which Han does.
>>
>>44392639
I just did through implication (no development, shallow 1 dimensional character). It's not my problem that you have zero understanding of literary analysis.
>>
>>44392671
>>44392671
>a main protagonist who features in four out of the seven movies does not need development

We're not talking about some conflicted prostitute in the background of a bar scene for 15 seconds here Siskle.
>>
>>44392511
Han Solo
>Badass smuggler
>On the run from Imperials and one of the largest crime syndicates
>Looking to make money to get one of those groups off his ass
>Through interactions with Luke and Obi Wan his heart slowly softens
>Crushes on Leia upon first meeting
>The death of Obi Wan and accusations of greed from Luke causes him to reexamine his priorities
>Decides that he needs to take the risk and do the right thing for once in his life
>Comes to aid the Rebels and saves Luke's life in the battle of the Death Star.

Han Solo is a great example of a gruff character being moved by the actions of those he surrounds himself with. He shows great character development and goes from a person who killed a bounty hunter in cold blood (Han actually does shoot first) to someone who is obviously wrestling with taking the money and leaving at the end of the first film. That he comes back to aid the rebels is both a surprise and not out of character considering all the development he got.
>>
>>44392597
Wheaton is your drunk friend who's fun but also annoying if you want to do something different from his way. Not terrible, and he'll help out the newbies... but he's going to be giving the newbies advice on how to build a mechanically proficient character.

Vin is the guy who's obsessed with D&D and only plays D&D and comes up with dumb ideas, but he's enthusiastic even though his characters even after ten years are all kind of shit, and he's probably willing to try a new game even if he's going to forget it in about ten minutes.

Don't let them collaborate unless you have zero plans, otherwise your campaign will be ruined.
>>
>>44392597
Yeah, I think if Vin played with most kinds of D&D groups, he'd fit in--whether they wanted to do classic dungeon crawls with traps and puzzles or open-ended social games. You could probably get him to play Deathwatch or Exalted.
>>
>>44390669
>I haven't watched any of his tabletop shows
>so
>I guess not that important
sounds arrogant.
>>
>>44392735
>Han actually does shoot first
Well, we have already seen what happens when he doesn't.
>>
Diesel is a cool guy, instead of just saying it he recorded the line "I am Groot" (Guardians of the Galaxy, the alien that looks like an ent, that is the character's entire vocabulary basically) over a thousand times in a half-dozen different languages while doing all the motion capture work. Dude commits.
>>
>>44392993
Bautista broke down in tears when he finally got the role of Drax too.
>>
>>44392815

Too soon.
>>
>>44390692
Unfair garbage, i hate him in TNG but to refuse to admit he has created an online platform for traditional games and that he has played no part in that is a trash statement
>>
>>44393141
Keep your slathering fanboyism in reddit where it belongs.
>>
>>44391045
Day9 is the only reason that show is bearable, if anyone else was hosting it then it'd be just as bad as any of the other things on that god forsaken channel.
>>
>>44393208
Clearly I'm not a fanboy, you just have refused to admit that geek and sundry is a big fish- and that Wheaton's review of a game will effect a LGS' sales.
>>
>>44392815
A B S O L U T E M A D M A N
>>
>>44393288
Clearly you are a fanboy, you've got cold sores from sucking his dick so much.
>>
>>44390617
He isn't. Wheaton, Day, Fillion, and a few other cult figures basically caught a break when nerd culture swung around and they happened to be the last big thing that nerds could identify by before the swing. Now these people pretty much make a career off of the hurt feelings/far left movement's involvement in the nerd counterculture and need it to keep rolling in order to survive. I can't wait until normies get the fuck out and I can go back to enjoying muh games without a thousand reviews and shows and celebrity opinions on the subject. We have enough autism in this hobby as it is
>>
>>44393457
www.reddit.com
>>
>>44393457
It's an objective fact that Wheaton affects sales. I've spoken to LGS workers who anecdotally support that fact, and I've *watched* games sell out in online retailer shops to objectively show that's true.

>>44393471
>normies
You're making hobby gaming worse, not better.
>>
>>44393567
>It's an objective fact that Wheaton affects sales. I've spoken to LGS workers who anecdotally support that fact, and I've *watched* games sell out in online retailer shops to objectively show that's true.
Facts are objective and you're saying that you have no proof.

I'm not claiming that there's no effect, but I am telling you that you have absolutely no real proof of your position. Sticking words like "objectively" in there doesn't change that.
>>
>>44392152
Stop making threads about yourself, Wil
>>
>>44393632
If one guy off tg spoke to one owner of an LGS store who sold 1 game to a customer, after this customer had seen wheaton play it- then OBJECTIVELY wheaton affects sales.
>>
>>44393567
>You're making hobby gaming worse, not better.

>Muh inclusiveness above all else

Nah, some people deserve to be shunned.
>>
>>44393651
>People assume I'm shilling for Wil
Man, "stop acting like this dude is calling himself Jesus" is not "this guy is Jesus".

>>44393632
>>44393676
Okay
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/169710/wil-wheaton-effect-fact-or-figment-imagination
Although his charts are really badly laid out.

>>44393881
>Muh super seekrit clubhouse
>>
>>44393881
I never understood your pic. Couldn't the two black dudes keep on playing between themselves?
If I had to stop playing RPGs because "the hobby" is full of morons I'd have stopped in 2008.
>>
>>44393457
>you've got cold sores from sucking his dick so much.

That's not how cold sores work, anon. I don't think you know shit about sucking dick, and frankly, your naiveté in this regard just shows that you are not mature enough for this discussion of Will Wheaton.
>>
>>44393916
It's like the picture of the two anon chained to a wall talking about how they can't leave a board. Somebody probably has it or an edit.
>>
>>44393881
this is a terrible picture, they could just start playing together again. seems like this is something that once happened to some poor soul and decided to make it into a general fanbase problem.
>>
>>44390617
I find his smugness infuriating to watch, to the point that I can't actually enjoy TT because he just gets on my nerves.

But apparently, it's relatively popular and does good stuff for the games he highlights, so I guess he has some impact on the scene. Really, he's nothing more than an Ad man. He doesn't do anything for tabletop except bring a few more eyes onto it, but that's still something.
>>
>>44392192

I'm not sure you realize this, but before the whole gender thing exploded, Wheaton was already getting shit on for being a fake nerd.

Nigger doesn't even know the rules to the games he plays.

He literally threw his producer under the bus in a very tactless public tweet when people called him out over completely botching the rules for a game, because "The producer is supposed to read the rules and give me a rundown before each episode"

It was the most blatant evidence of Wheaton being nothing more than a soulless ad-man who doesn't give a shit about what he's pushing, and moreover, showed what kind of person and boss he was.

Highly unprofessional.
>>
>>44394000

The particular example in the picture shown is M:TG.

And the problem is casualization and watering-down.

M:TG is in decline because the rules needed to be made more simple because "Players can't wrap their heads around it!"

Predictably, when those changes were made, M:TG had some of the best sales and growth years ever.

Now, it's seeing multiple quarterly losses in M:TG because the fad is over, and the casuals are 'growing out of the game', and leaving. The diehards are still there, but the game has been destroyed by the casuals.
>>
>>44391106
>Turned out to be a wolf in nerds clothing.
SJW in a nutshell.
>>
>>44390617
Who?
>>
>>44390617
he's a public figure that do quality work about table top games, and for that hobby that can go a long way, unlike in the electronic game medium.

I think his (her, their) shows do a lot of good for the hobby in a time when the hobby is seing a lot of growth.

The hobby would still be growing with out the show and what else, but it sure don't hurt having some quality production tied to the hobby.
>>
>>44391393
they certainly aren't evil
>>
>>44393916
I've seen It used to say "woman ruined the hobby" and that new people ruin things" and yeah I agree with you. If they played solo. No change from panel 1.
>>
>>44393256
Critical Role is pretty good.
>>
>>44394298
>Threw someone under the bus
>Person literally not doing their job
I keep hearing about this incident as if it were some kind of rallying cry about how Wil Wheaton is just THE WORST and I'm honestly not seeing it.

>>44394344
>The particular example in the picture shown is M:TG.
No it isn't.

>>44394353
>Whining about SJWs
>Six days from Anno Domini Two Thousand and Sixteen
>>
He is a big guy.
>>
>>44395028
For tabletop games.
>>
>>44392815
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Asjh-HjRE
>>
>>44391783

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64-3talVkUA
>>
>>44394344
The casual market has always been MTG's biggest money maker.
>>
>>44395463
>I started magic around or after X
>>
>>44395025
>I keep hearing about this incident as if it were some kind of rallying cry about how Wil Wheaton is just THE WORST and I'm honestly not seeing it.

If he actually gave a shit about the games in question why wouldn't he read the rules himself and get to grips with them? Y'know, like literally every normal RPG nerd does? If he was genuinely in it because he wanted to be playing games he'd take the time to learn the system instead of having his producer spoonfeed it to him.
>>
>>44395269
They're talking about Han getting ganked by Kylo Ren in the movie
>>
>>44395683
I know, its just a funny video which fit in with the han shooting first.
>>
>>44395647
>Y'know, like literally every normal RPG nerd does?
... have you not been to literally this board?

There are people who've been playing D&D or Pathfinder or WoD or Exalted or Warhammer who don't know fuck all about the rules.
>>
>>44394344
Magicfags deserve it.
>>
>>44395647
>Y'know, like literally every normal RPG nerd does?
... have you not been to literally this board?

There are people who've been playing D&D or Pathfinder or WoD or Exalted or Warhammer for fucking YEARS who don't know fuck all about the rules. And you expect one guy to know every board game rule?
>>
He was decent on critical role, but the man is the worst DM I have ever heard. The RPG show was embarrassing, and so was Dread.

As far as tabletop goes, the show is entertaining enough to watch in the background while I do something else.
>>
>>44392719
And we're also talking about a character in a scifi action adventure romp. Sure, a character can develop, like Luke, but a static character in an adventure movie is fine so long as he starts out somewhat interesting
>>
File: 1422770590714.jpg (30 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1422770590714.jpg
30 KB, 500x375
ITT: I don't like popular person because I am better than him and yet he is well known and I am not

Most of these arguments seem to be the whole cognitive dissonance style shit, "I am not as good as this guy" is not acceptable in your minds, so you have to work out why he's THE WORST after deciding he is

Face it, the dude is about as inoffensive as you can be while making a lot of okay, well produced, but often not the best ever content wise, shows about a hobby we all love. The grognards just can't handle that a person can get paid and laid doing something they can only do as a hobby, so there has to be a reason to hate him.

The best part is, none of you are forced to watch his content, and let's be honest, we aren't the target audience for this kind of thing, this is quite casual, but no, burn him at the stake for his misdeeds.
>>
>>44390617
Wil Weathon is a rotten sack of apples who will even lie about his meemaw just to win a game of Mystic Warlords of Ka'a.
>>
>>44395706
>>44395728
I expect a guy who professes to be passionate about it to have a passing familiarity with the rules, rather than relying on his producer to teach him like some sort of soulless hack who's only in it for the publicity.

I've been in D&D threads on and off for a few years, and in those there are people with fuck-all idea about the rules. We laugh at them and call them morons, we don't tune in to listen to their shitty games.

>>44394344
The sooner Magic dies the better.
>>
>>44395806
>ITT: I don't like popular person because I am better than him and yet he is well known and I am not

>Popularity = quality

Go away Wil.
>>
>>44395803
Which still is an example of poor characterization. The giant chicken that Peter keeps fighting has more development than Han Solo.
>>
>>44395806
>wheaton
>inoffensive

I can only assume you've grown up watching nothing but angry white supremacist rants in order for you to be this jaded and numb.
>>
File: 1440860047860.jpg (39 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
1440860047860.jpg
39 KB, 375x523
>>44395806
>grognards
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>44395839
/thread
>>
>>44393881
It's a game. A game you can play with friends. If you want to don't invite women, don't invite Muslims, don't invite Russians don't invite people who love Pathfinder. Just please stop whining.
>>
I wish I could see him at a con talking about something only so I could shout SHUT UP, WESLEY!
>>
>>44395879
His picture should rather be an Enchanted Bunny, because just like Wil Weathon it's worth absolutely nothing.
>>
>>44395937
PS. and no, he does not have the carrot power
>>
>>44395860
Never said he was good or high quality

>>44395879
Grognards as a term is older than reddit

>>44395868
What exactly is offensive about him?
I'd love to see him being genuinely offensive
Hell he's sjw tier when it comes to not offending people, and being dumb is not a crime
>>
>>44396000
As a side note
Please notice that none of these replies actually addressed any of my arguments, they just dismissed them and claimed they're right and I am wrong.

That's pretty fucking tumblr/10 as far as arguments go
>>
>>44395921
I always wondered if Wil did a Lenard Nimoy and accepted his role on the TV show after hating it for so long? How different would he be.
>>44395806
>inoffensive
The fact that he will never call slaves "slaves" shows just how "inoffensive" he truely is.
I rather have someone acknowledge slavery existed beyond the American experience, than someone to pretend it Never existed.
>>
File: 1450193221046.png (179 KB, 465x440) Image search: [Google]
1450193221046.png
179 KB, 465x440
>>44390617
Will Wheaton is the classic friend that no one likes. He's basically a meme. He thinks that the fact that he's aware we hate him earns him points, but it doesn't.

He isn't completely useless, though. Anyone professing to be a fan of his is usually themselves unlikable and can be avoided with no real loss.
>>
>>44395797
Not doubting but could you expand on some of the stuff that he has done wrong?
>>
>>44396055
You know what, fair enough, that's an alright reason to dislike the guy enough to go "he's not for me".
Personally I'd call it dumb, not offensive, but, the point stands.

That still doesn't explain the absolute hatred some of you apparently have for him.
>>
>>44396123
*as a GM?
>>
Don't really know about him. Don't really care until he gives me reason to do so.
>>
>>44391106
>His show is just a fucking political soapbox for his sjw agenda.

What's it like to be this fucking paranoid?
>>
>>44395806
>the dude is about as inoffensive as you can be
You forget, this is /tg/. Being inoffensive means he's an SJW shill. See >>44396229

>>44395846
Those people are most of the threads. Most of this board. Also, he plays games for a living, that doesn't mean he's familiar with all of those games.
Magic is never going to die in your lifetime, stop being salty.

>>44395879
Grognard is used on /tg/ all the time and it's older than Reddit. Hell, it's older than roleplaying games, really, but it's a term at least as old as AD&D.

>>44396055
>The slave controversy
It's not that he wants to ignore that slavery happened. It's that he doesn't want to play a game where you literally have to sacrifice slaves as part of the game.
>>
I love how anyone who disagrees is Wil Wheaton or a shill, even if they're not actually arguing in favour of Wheaton, just arguing against the people who dickride the hate of Wil Wheaton.
>>
>>44396149
For me personally, he just comes across as smug?
>>
>>44396250
Then why play it? No one is forcing you to play a game like that.
>>
>>44396275
Play what? What am I not being forced to play?
Do you mean Five Tribes or whatever?
People played it because it was a fun game and they could relabel Slaves. Hell, the game designer even gave in to the pressure and future versions will have something other than Slave cards.

I'm sure someone will say that's just SJW censorship, but no one said the company HAD to do that, people complained because they disliked something (as is their right) and the company listened to them and agreed to change it (as is their right).
>>
>>44396079
>verbal abuse-tan
is there more of her?
>>
>>44394298
I'm not sure you realize this, but Wheaton was writing shit about games on his blog and on Dungeon magazine 15 years ago.
No one cared about him because he didn't have youtube, but he's been in the hobby for longer than half the people on this board.
He might be an asshole, but "fake nerd" is idiotic.
>>
>>44395839
>Le ebin BBT reference
>>
>>44392008
Ben "Judea Delenda Est" Garrison
>>
File: 1450580000585.jpg (60 KB, 500x322) Image search: [Google]
1450580000585.jpg
60 KB, 500x322
>>44396336
Yup, but the last update was a while back.
>>
>>44396123
In the show there was a lot of "your character feels like this" and him straight up narrating cutscenes (and taking control of the characters). Which I guess can be partly explained with it being a heavily-edited youtube show, but still. One of the last episodes is basically him talking for 40 minutes straight as he tells the players some individual visions they're having.
Also, for as much as he talked about the setting, he tended to oscillate between serious stuff and lolrandumb. Again it probably was for the sake of the show, in a home game it happens that someone breaks the mood with a funny quip, here it felt forced.
The cast of characters wasn't much help either, Lowenthal seemed generally uninvolved with the game, Green is a That Guy, and Laura Bailey was overbearing with her special snowflake character. Haislip was the least bad of the lot but only because she can fake interest passably, and honestly I don't remember a thing about her character. Plus the four of them had to be reminded constantly on the rules even after ten episodes.
>>
File: NxevDmP.jpg (80 KB, 861x1049) Image search: [Google]
NxevDmP.jpg
80 KB, 861x1049
>>44396483
Was about to ask for directions, but image search works just fine.
>tfw
>>
He tries too hard to have everyone like him
>>
File: robert webb has a giggle.jpg (10 KB, 171x278) Image search: [Google]
robert webb has a giggle.jpg
10 KB, 171x278
>>44390617
>Z list celeb
>Important
>>
>>44390741
Yes.
>>
>>44392499
The thing is, Vin Diesel isn't really trying to become King of the Geeks. He just plays whatever he plays on the downlow.
>>
File: 75702.jpg (18 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
75702.jpg
18 KB, 600x300
Since no one posted it yet..
>>
>>44393471
>Fillion

Relatively cool, no?
>>
>>44396388
underrated post
>>
>>44391705

Ruin, or make better?
>>
File: bazooka.jpg (67 KB, 2000x720) Image search: [Google]
bazooka.jpg
67 KB, 2000x720
>>44395839
>>44395937
>>44395976
>>44397023
Why are you even on /tg/.
>>
>>44396561
Danbooru, artist name Nanashi, for those too lazy.
>>
>>44396229
What is it like being so utterly trapped by our own ignorance that you can't even see the wool over your eyes, much less the sounds of the distant laughter of those that keep you in your self imposed cage?
>>
File: 1441740667096.png (80 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1441740667096.png
80 KB, 500x501
>>44395806
>>
>>44395846
Tom, Zee, Sam, Rahdo and so on and on, they all get rules wrong all the time, over and over again. Get over it.
>>
>>44396316
People complained about accurate terms and tokens in a board game that attempts a semblance of immersion and theme.

Frankly I think keeping them labeled as Slaves would serve to make a point of how completely dehumanized slaves were.

But no, Slavery happened and that means you can't use Slavery in your games because Slavery was bad.

Well, murder is bad but we still have Clue.
>>
>>44397023
That's probably the one thing that autist is right about
>>
>>44397000
To the sales of the games that have been featured in his production.. Atleast to some small deal, yes he's been (stores have as seen on table top shelfs, that pretty much says it all).
>>
File: 1413391646147.jpg (256 KB, 1000x826) Image search: [Google]
1413391646147.jpg
256 KB, 1000x826
>>44390617
My wife works at a game store and they recently put in a couple tvs that they have play episodes of TT that are about games they have available in the store. He explains clearly, simply, and quickly. He can show people how a game is played and show them what the actual experience is like in a way that is accessible.

Overall, he isnt important at all. But he seems like a decent guy and he's spreading the hobby.
>>
>>44390617
>>44390650
They're not worth the jail time you'd get for murdering them.
>>
>>44397498
Yes the slave thing is silly and is mostly a problem in 'murica (don't hear much about Trälar over here). Now there's an alternative in five (six) tribes and me that has the original has both slaves and fakirs, joy me.
>>
>>44397537
>Overall, he isnt important at all. But he seems like a decent guy and he's spreading the hobby.

Why is this repeated in this thread over and over again and seemingly by different people? Its kind of freaky and I would even dare to say its the same anon samefagging this same shit message over and over as if it would help Wheaton's reputation or some shit.
>>
Darth Getoutofmyroomdad
>>
>>44397604
Because multiple people think it? News flash, there are multiple people that disagree with you.
>>
>>44397604
If I had to hazard a guess, it's because people tend to undervalue "soft" skills. "He just talks into a camera," they say, "anyone can talk into a camera." If we assume this is true (it's not), then Wheaton can be replaced with literally anyone and the end result is the same - the show is important, but the actor can be replaced.
>>
>>44397651
Meant for
>>44391258
>>
>>44390617
>How important is this guy to tabletop games in general?
Depends on if you are running some sort of Startrek: Next Gen game or not. Actually I am wrong, even then he doesn't matter
>>
>>44396146
Don't hate him, just that he comes across as fake as fuck at times. Like he's one of those guys who so wants to fit in and be one of the guys. Which is sort of endearing except he gets some of the most basic shit wrong.

I appreciate what he does for the hobby, ( Hell I never even knew he did anything for it.) but something about him seems off. Now let us go and eat peanut butter and jelly, comrade, like all good americans.
>>
>>44397820
>peanut butter and jelly sandwhich
>American
There better be bacon on that, friend, or I swear to God.
>>
>>44390617
kind of a hipster
>>
File: airquotes.jpg (39 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
airquotes.jpg
39 KB, 512x288
>inclusiveness
>new blood
>entry level
>he's okay
>>
>>44397820
>But something about him seems off
This. My spidersense gets all rubbed the wrong way by him as a person but his show is very well produced for a show about board games so I'm happy it's around sharing the joy that is our hobby.
>>
>>44397820
>but something about him seems off

It's the greed.

He doesn't have the people skills to properly cover it.
>>
>>44390617
Do what you will with what you think about him. But do not have him influence you on what is important about tabletop games and what he affiliates with. Don't contribute to the promotion of a shortened and unbroad perspective on whatever subject that he may present. Likewise with other figureheads...
>>
File: Gift of Mutation.gif (2 MB, 320x582) Image search: [Google]
Gift of Mutation.gif
2 MB, 320x582
>>44397604

So here's the guy who you replied to. Im unsure what the butthurt is about.

In my wife's store they get a lot of "normies" all the time. They are buying gifts for a SO, family, or a friend or many times they are brand new to gaming. The front of the store has a lot of games that most people recognize like monopoly, some nice card decks, catan, risk, etc. Those are considered safe purchases for most people because they know them. Newer games like Mysterium are arguably much much better. But they are also new. It can be very hard to get someone who is new to the hobby to agree to purchase a 60 dollar game, go home and learn it, and then try to explain it to friends and try to convince them to play it.

But if they can see the game being played, and explained in a much better way than I have seen most people do, then they can be confident. And when customers are confident they buy. At the store they also host open house game nights a couple times a week using an in game library of games. Sometimes people want to try a new game but they want it explained. And sometimes an employee is busy. With the tvs the employee can simply turn on the episode of TT that features that game, let the people watch it for a sec, and swing back around later when they arent handling a purchase to check on the group.

A lot of game groups have a cult of the new mentality as well, where they always want to try a new game every night. And with the amount of games out there that's not a hard thing to do, though it may drive me FUCKING CRAZY at times. With TT the store has an accessible medium to introduce new games that people may want to buy,

Sure, sometimes I dont much care for the guy as a person either, but he's extremely low on my list of people I may even consider disliking. He's just some guy. I appreciate what he does though.
>>
>>44391045
I started Critical roll recently and I enjoy it but that may just be the voice acting weeb in me
>>
>>44391705
A lot of the time it's not a concern of why - it's a concern of whether it's possible. Can it be done?
Like as if we're in continuous search to find new ways in how something can strike us. So we'll produce whatever the fuck we want just to see it's influence however minute or colossal.
>>
>>44390617
Why would Shia LeBouf be important in tabletop? Did I missed something?
>>
>>44397953
Isn't this a case of how willing somebody is to get into something? To invest themselves in something? Newbie normies are inveitable if a hobby is to grow and become more renowned. People change and can often find themselves redirecting their focus all the time.
>>
>>44390751
>people in better situations than yours.
Not everyone here failed in life as hard as you anon... some of us have good wives and jobs.
>>
>>44391258
Roos Tarpals.
>>
>>44397004
Neither is Wheaton. The only person who seems to think that is people who hate Wheaton. If you like him or--heaven forbid someone have a neutral opinion--don't care, it's nothing.

If you hate him? Clearly everyone who doesn't see it is just a beta tryhard who aspires to his alpha nerd status.

>>44397293
You're insane.

>>44397498
The problem isn't that slavery is bad. The problem is that you don't want to be the person abusing the slaves. In Clue you're SOLVING the murder, not COMMITTING murder. That's kind of a ridiculous comparison. It's baffling to me that people don't understand why some people have a problem.

>>44397578
>A country that had some of the worst chattel slavery in history and realizes that was wrong has a problem with a game where you casually murder slaves while countries without that history don't have the same opinion.
Well gee.

>>44397604
Or thinking otherwise is ridiculous. "Reasonable opinions" aren't samefagging.
>>
>>44398866
>Neither is Wheaton.
If only that were true. Him and Felicia Day.

>>A country that had some of the worst chattel slavery in history and realizes that was wrong has a problem with a game where you casually murder slaves
>thinking most Americans give a shit about the slave trade
>>
File: NOTAFUCKINPIPE.jpg (34 KB, 378x264) Image search: [Google]
NOTAFUCKINPIPE.jpg
34 KB, 378x264
>>44398866
>The problem is that you don't want to be the person abusing the slaves.

What slaves? Its a fucking board game!
>>
>>44398128
I don't know if we could make recommendations, but I enjoy Beer and Boardgames As well As their Rated RPG.
Though it is highlights from their streams.
They generally seem to like each other and the games they are playing, and besides Chad Vader and Cape Date who who are the staples of the game, they got a pretty nice and diverse crew of people.
Of course I'm from the great plains, so I get the humor more.
>>
>>44390617
Shut up Wesley
>>
>>44396250
>You forget, this is /tg/. Being inoffensive means he's an SJW shill.
Didn't he write an article about something like top gamers in the media and put anito near the top?
>>
>makes an entire career off everyone hating the shit out of him on Star Trek
Say what you will about him he's no dummy.
>>
>>44396250
>>44399147
Aha, I found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxLqc7SkzNY

http://time.com/collection/2015-time-100/

Anita Sarkeesian
By Wil Wheaton
>>
>>44398866
>That's kind of a ridiculous comparison.
Inaccurate, yes. How about Spartacus, where you play gladiators fighting each other with a potential for execution anyway? Or any game wherein you play murderers, thieves, marauders...basically most tabletops. People don't get up in arms over Risk, but fuck, this game makes me use slaves! That's awful!
>>
>>44393916
the real change is that developers of the game will try to change it to cater to the casuals needs, which leaves us with shit like theros and memerhinos and creatures the creaturing, because new players who can't really care about rules would never pay enough attention to play in an environment like ravnica/time spiral standard, or lorwyn. Formats the original 2 guys played stop getting supported.
In RPGs it translates to 4e vs 3.5. Not saying 4e is strictly worse than 3.5, but it gets old fast, which is clearly a sign of design being focused around making every player feel special at all times instead of requiring actual thought from them.
>>
>>44391258
Darth Vader?
>>
>>44392192
Are you actually trying to deny the existence of posers?
>>
>>44392683
>Han Solo
>no development
What about how he started the movie being a selfish smuggler who doesn't give a fuck about anyone else and then at the end he risks his life to save Luke from Darth Vader?
>>
>>44395025
>>Person literally not doing their job
That's the thing. According to Wheaton, being able to know how to play these things you're supposedly super passionate about, is not his job as a "fan". It's his PRODUCER'S job to make sure he knows what he's talking about, not, yknow, the fucking guy that "wants" to play these games. THAT'S why he's a fuckstick. It's nobody's job but his own to know how to play a game he wants to play.
>>
>>44399488
This is why everyone thinks Wil is a fucking poser cunt.
>>
>>44398866
Actually, in Clue you very well might be the murderer. It's explained in the rules that if it's you, you're supposed to be destroying the evidence rather than solving the case.
>>
>>44397925
He loves the cawk.
Imo
>>
>>44399557
>you're supposed to be destroying the evidence rather than solving the case.
W-wait what? Does that mean it's an alternate win condition? if YOU are the murderer?
I need to read those rules more carefully...
>>
File: 1450840687013.jpg (45 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1450840687013.jpg
45 KB, 400x400
>>44399488
>the guy couldn't be bothered to read the rules of the thing he is pretending to like.
Oh wow.
>>
>>44399586
So youre just as clueless about boardgames as fucking wil wheaton, well done anon, youre a fucking faggot.
>>
>>44398900
No they don't.
And some Americans do.

>>44398948
Yes, a board game where one of the tokens represents slaves. Are you seriously on /tg/ and unaware of the concept of the magic circle, or fiction in general?

Do you not know how imagination works?

>>44399179
Holy shit why is the different context so hard for you to understand? In Spartacus your slaves a) get played, and b) don't exist solely to be "sacrificed" to purchase Djinni.

>>44399240
I'm denying the necessity of caring.

>>44399488
>>44399533
Dude, people play games wrong all the time. People who are fans. They've played maybe 50 games on Tabletop, and I doubt Wil is an expert on all of them. No one would be an expert on that many games. That's why they hired a rules advisor. You're literally hating on the dude because he doesn't know everything.
That's dumb.

>>44399557
What? No. How would you even know? The clues are randomly drawn and stuffed into the bag without anyone knowing. You and solve the murder and be the murderer and not know it until the end.
>>
>>44399175
>just wanted to start a conversation about gender.
Oh for fuck's sake. If you want to start a conversation, you don't fucking lie about the other side ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE ARE ENOUGH REAL EXAMPLES THAT DON'T REQUIRE LIES. I hate her so hard. Yeah, there's some fucked up shit in gaming (especially the likes of competitive fighting games) and that should have been the topics, not a bunch of retarded, made up horseshit.
>>44399488
Actually, the douchebag move there was throwing the producer under the bus. You. Do. Not. Do. That.
>>
>>44398866
The worst chattel slavery was (and still is) in Africa. I don't get the whole white guilt thing America has. White people are the only people to end slavery. Yeah, several times now because it keeps coming back, but still. You'd think Americans would be full of white pride because they don't have child slaves like Africa or a slave caste like India or a sex-slave trade like Saudi Arabia or sweatshops full of kidnapped children like Cambodia.

Maybe Americans are just upset the the English Imperialists ended slavery first.
>>
File: Pipe.jpg (5 KB, 269x187) Image search: [Google]
Pipe.jpg
5 KB, 269x187
>>44399641
>a board game where one of the tokens represents slaves.
>represents

So you're saying that this is a pipe? Amazing.
>>
>>44399688
No smoking in here anon.
Madface.jpg
>>
>>44399641

You're Wil aren't you? There's no one that cares that much about him, especially not Felicia Day.
>>
>>44398735
Yeah but you're not a millionaire.
>>
>>44399641
>I'm denying the necessity of caring.
Good response.
>>
>>44399488
>>44399533
>>44399646
1) I love games.
2) I discover I've been playing the game wrong this whole time on like the 5th play-through all the fucking time.
3) Having a production guy to make that not be you on your podcast about how to play games is reasonable.
4) If you haven't had it happen to you your that guy who insists his own personal way of playing the game is the right one and that makes you the only person here who is a fake gamer.
>>
>>44399619
>So youre just as clueless about boardgames as fucking wil wheaton, well done anon, youre a fucking faggot.
Nah, I just haven't fucking played Clue since I was a goddamn tyke, asshole. I don't know the rules to every game ever, but knowing the rules to a game you ARE PLAYING, if you care about it, is kind of the only fucking prerequisite.

Now, if I was making a video explaining about Clue and how to play and why it's fun, IF there were an alternate way of playing/winning inherent if you yourself are the murderer and I neglected to mention it, i.e. I didn't know the fucking rules as I'm trying to explain the game I'm PASSIONATE ENOUGH ABOUT TO WANT TO INCLUDE NEW PEOPLE IN IT THROUGH A VIDEO, then YEAH, I would be a fucking faggot. But then, thank god I'm not Wil Wheaton.
>>
>>44399664
>The worst chattel slavery was (and still is) in Africa.
No it wasn't. It was in the sugar plantations of Brazil, where slaves died in such numbers you couldn't really even call it Chattel Slavery because that kind of implies that you're breeding them.

African slavery doesn't have the undercurrent of racism and dehumanization that American slavery has because as far as I'm aware American slavery is the only time you've got one group taking a group from a physically different ethnicity and taking them far--VERY far--away to permanently enslave themselves and their descendants while dehumanizing them based on their looks.

>>44399688
I'm saying that if a game says that a card represents a slave, and discarding a certain number of them to purchase a board representing a Djinni represents killing that slave, then within the fiction of that game you are sacrificing a slave to summon Djinni.

That I need to explain this concept to you is mind boggling.

>>44399749
It's true. Why should it matter if someone is a "fake nerd"?
>>
>>44399646
It's the producers job to make sure you don't look like an ass on youtube, Wil looked like an ass, guy got thrown under the bus, all is right with the world also that producer Clarkson punched was probably Lazy, Irish, and a Cunt.

P.S. But Google, I was specifically told not to go chasing waterfalls.
>>
>>44399757
>3) Having a production guy to make that not be you on your podcast about how to play games is reasonable.
I don't necessarily disagree, my only point is you do not publicly throw someone under the fucking bus for that. I don't care if they did fail at doing their job. That's the literal exact opposite of professionalism and does nothing but show you to be a shitbag. Maybe one day if you are ever in even a semi-public position or a position of leadership, you'll learn how to deal with these things and learn that public shaming is fucking wrong.
>>
>>44399783
>I didn't know the fucking rules as I'm trying to explain the game I'm PASSIONATE ENOUGH ABOUT TO WANT TO INCLUDE NEW PEOPLE IN IT THROUGH A VIDEO, then YEAH, I would be a fucking faggot.
He's explained that the games on the show aren't always games he's familiar with. He's explained that some of his favourite games wouldn't work on the show.

I mean, you can't play something like Twilight Imperium or Battlestar Galactica on a... what, 10 minute show?
>>
>>44391258
Grand Admiral Thrawn. Grand Moff Tarkin. Chewbacca
>>
>>44399664
Nah the sort of slavery the arabs practiced was worse, they'd castrate their slaves.
>>
>>44391258
Kyle Katarn
>>
>>44399804
>African slavery doesn't have the undercurrent of racism and dehumanization that American slavery has because as far as I'm aware American slavery is the only time you've got one group taking a group from a physically different ethnicity and taking them far--VERY far--away to permanently enslave themselves and their descendants while dehumanizing them based on their looks.
Never speak on this subject again. You're painfully ignorant.
>>
>>44399817
You have to be literally retarded if you can't understand the Xwing rules, sorry bruv.
>>
>>44391258
R2D2
>>
>>44399783
>>44399641
It's not an alternate win condition, you play Clue exactly the same way. It's just flavor to explain why the murderer is still in the mansion and trying to "solve" the crime like everyone else.
>>
>>44399804
>African slavery doesn't have the undercurrent of racism and dehumanization that American slavery has because as far as I'm aware
You aren't very aware at all, then. African slavery is entirely based on ethnicity. Just because they all look black to you doesn't mean that they won't kill you for comparing them to the subhumans they regularly try to genocide or enslave from the next valley over.
>>
File: treacheryofimages.jpg (75 KB, 643x478) Image search: [Google]
treacheryofimages.jpg
75 KB, 643x478
>>44399804
>I'm saying that if a game says that a card represents a slave, and discarding a certain number of them to purchase a board representing a Djinni represents killing that slave, then within the fiction of that game you are sacrificing a slave to summon Djinni.

So where is the abuse in all of this? Why is "abusing" a plastic chip in a fictional game something that no one would want to do as you said

>The problem is that you don't want to be the person abusing the slaves.

Why is this fiction problematic? How can a plastic chip representing something be "abused"? Thats the same thing as saying that Magritte's painting can be smoked.

So I ask you again, is this a pipe?.
>>
>>44399958
Has anyone ever mounted an actual pipe inside a frame and then written under it "this is a pipe" in french? Seems kind of obvious.
>>
>>44399848
Look, I know people are super obsessed with their genitals, but castration isn't really on par with repeated beatings or being worked to death. If you want "the worst" slavery, either what the Americans did with the Indians or what the Nazis did with the undesirables was the worst.

They were literally worked to death and starved.

>>44399903
I'm aware of ethnic hate and genocide; but you'd be hard pressed to find two more physically different races than Americans and Africans. Maybe Asians and Africans.

>>44399958
>So where is the abuse in all of this?
Some people dislike it. There are entire games sold on their theme.

Also, comparing The Treachery of Images to an interactive game is sort of silly. No, no one is saying that you are literally murdering live human beings.

Are you also the type of person who thinks your grandmother has no right to be uncomfortable when you make her sit down and play Hatred?

>>44399996
you know, someone really should.
>>
>>44393048
Yeah, he wanted to be in a marvel movie so bad and couldn't believe he'd gotten that big a role. He also seems pretty chill and I laughed at the one interview-

>Interviewer: "Your character has trouble with metaphors. I just assume that's not a problem with you, cause its raining cats and dogs out there."
>DB: *looks off camera* "Did you guys know about this?"
>I: "It's just coming down really hard out there."
>DB: "...Are the dogs okay?"
>>
>>44399958
I guess it's sort of like when organized D&D didn't allow big issue like slavery in their organized play, even though their races that practice the slave trade. It's stupid, but their are people (like Wil and some others) who are uncomfortable with the subject of slavery and sentient race sacrifice.
>>
>>44400013
>Also, comparing The Treachery of Images to an interactive game is sort of silly.

>Comparing fiction to fiction is silly.

Oh anon you so smart!.
>>
>>44400013
You assume the arabs never beat their slaves or worked them to death AS WELL as cutting their balls off.

Also I don't think being horrified by the idea of having your genitals removed means you're "super obsessed" with your genitals. What in the fuck is wrong with you? Being castrated causes all sorts of hormonal problems and also means you're infertile, forever. Maybe you don't care about having kids but for a lot of people that idea is really, really horrifying.
>>
>>44400013
>mutilation to remove any form of pleasure isn't on par with labour and beatings
Anon.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.