[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happens when someone takes a paladin oath? If a commoner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 600x807) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 600x807
What happens when someone takes a paladin oath? If a commoner takes the oath, does he get paladin supernatural abilities, if not the weapon proficiencies?
>>
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>44389886
He is given strength through honour, virtue and dignity.
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 640x1136
>>
>>44389886
>>paladin is the easiest class to enter
>hardest class to remain in
>50% of town guards are ex Paladins

I like this
>>
>>44389886
There are prerequisites for the Oaths. You have to already be good at channelling minor divine magic and combat. Heart has to be pure and all that jazz.
The Oath just caps it off and gives the paladin his signature powers.
Unless the God in question intercedes directly.
>>
>>44389992
Wouldn't a fallen paladin remain able to channel divine magic in that case? If it's a prerequisite?
>>
>>44390017
Yes but it would suck and never work the way they wanted it to
>>
>>44390017
Yes and no. His deity wouldn't give any power to a paladin who renounced him and fucked over core values.
But one who fucked up and now repents would get basic shit back, just not the paladin auras and the like.
So sort of like a shitty cleric or average priest.

Think of it like a warlock who no longer has a Patron. They're still a shitty wizard without an outside power source, they know the basics of arcane lore still and may well be able to cast spells their patron didn't directly fuel.
>>
I just realized from a game mechanics standpoint that the Paladin class is like a whore in that ever john dick and harry could be one at the start. At least in 3.5 you had to earn your way into being a black guard.
>>
>>44389981
>Train to be a Paladin
>Take the oath
>Things go well for a few years
>End up fallen
>Move into work as an adventurer, mercenary, or soldier

That could be a decent backstory, no? a Fallen Paladin out of work
>>
>>44390046
>level 1 Paladins now get a bonus feat
>Squire of the Faith
>may cast cure minor wounds, resistance, and light 3/day
>if the paladin falls, he retains access to this feat as long as his alignment remains lawful neutral, lawful good, or neutral good

This is now in my setting and many town guards have access to it
>>
File: 1382259892655.gif (1022 KB, 277x193) Image search: [Google]
1382259892655.gif
1022 KB, 277x193
>>44389963
You're not wrong, but its fun to have opinions/viewpoints without grounds as a basis of idea-forming discussion.
>>
How hard is it to become a divine acolyte? I assume you train for a while in a temple before deciding to be a priest, cleric, paladin or misc. divine class, and until that point you're just an undifferentiated acolyte.
Losing your PC class levels reduces you to acolyte level.

>>44390193
Clerics should get it too. Though they don't really have a falling mechanic.
Actively displeasing a deity can have the feat revoked.
>>
>player stats out a "logic paladin" with faith in reason and the science of the setting
How would you handle it, DMs?
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 451x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 451x300
>>44390256
Clerics already have access to level 0 spells.

To expand on that paladin feat

Paladins get this bonus feat at level 7
>>knight of the faith
>prerequisite: level 6, squire of the faith
>may cast cure serious wounds, magic circle against evil and searing light 3/day. Spells acquired through Squire of the Faith may be cast 5/day

Bonus feat acquired at level 13
>>Regent of the Faith
>prerequisite: level 12, knight of the faith
>may cast flame strike, heal, and death ward 3/day. Spells gained through knight of the faith may be cast 5/day. Spells cast through squire of the faith may be cast at will

Bonus feat acquired at level 17
>>Marshal of the Faith
>>Prerequisite: level 16, regent of the faith
>>may cast miracle 1/week. Gains the benefit of the leadership feat, if they already have leadership, gain a +10 to leadership score. Spells acquired through regent of the faith may be cast 5/day. Spells acquired through knight of the faith may be cast at will
>>
File: image.jpg (128 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128 KB, 1136x640
>>44390383
>>you don't gain any of the baseline paladin abilities. But! I've statted out your alternate paladin advancement, here, take a look!
>>
>>44389886
>What happens when someone takes a paladin oath? If a commoner takes the oath, does he get paladin supernatural abilities, if not the weapon proficiencies?
In my setting the only difference between Warlock and Paladin is the power source. So yes it works, though you get your soul torn out and sometimes take years to heal mentally after your oath is broken.
>>
>>44389886
Eh it's a profession.
A lawful knight who channels magic from a divine or imperial/stately source.
So i think it'd be more like you spent some time as a squire learning the job in an order to attain that 1st level of paladin and take your oath.
>>
>>44390515
>At will healing magic
>>
>>44391968
>>heal one point of damage every six seconds at level 12 as a standard action

:o unbalanced
>>
>>44391994
>>>heal one point of damage every six seconds at level 12 as a standard action

Nah, I'd be more worried about infinite out-of-combat healing. Though it depends on edition ofc
>>
>>44390595
>smart sword guy
I don't know what I expected
>>
A paladin should be a subclass of fighter who took on a position in a knightly order and had the ability to learn some basic magic or the way to channel magic from outside sources.

Actually scratch the whole thing.
D&D needs to fix the way it handles magic and caster types completely and its stat system needs an overhaul.
>>
>>44390121
>That could be a decent backstory, no?
It's actually the backstory of a fellow player in my current campaign: started in life as paladin, fell hard as fuck during the campaign, got carried over in the current campaign and now is a merc. DM let him retrain his pally levels into warder tho, he would have been shit otherwise.
>>
>>44393037
Definitely. I like feat based magic. Imagine if "full casters" were just a subset of the expert class, but you could specialize into tactics or traps or even combat.
>>
>>44392156
>overall, the party takes 200 damage
>>takes twenty minutes to heal the party to full health
>no high level spell slots lost
>>this is somehow a bad thing
>>
>>44394218
The problem is more that it fucks with the idea of the "adventuring day" with the parties resources being whittled down over the course of encounters.

This means that you kinda have to have each combat be capable of killing the players or else it'll feel too easy, which can be while swingy
>>
>>44394339
*several encounters
>>
>>44394339
>pretending that pathfinder doesn't have free level zero spells
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.