[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/adv/ MTG Adversary General 3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: image.jpg (435 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
435 KB, 1280x720
Adversary is a new, custom format for Magic: The Gathering intended to be played over Cockatrice.

>How is it played?
In Adversary, players select an Adversary card from an existing archive, or create their own. These Adversaries enter play from turn one, and possess abilities that change the way the game is played. If you've ever tried out Vanguard, you'll feel right at home. Adversary uses 61-card decks (including the Adversary card).
The format is Modern Singleton, and the banlist can be found here: http://pastebin.com/4JUSJp01

>How are Adversaries balanced?
Each Adversary is assigned three values: a life total, a starting hand size, and a level. The life total and starting hand size are used to balance Adversaries based on the power of their abilities. In the event that they cannot be effectively balanced this way, Adversaries are also assigned a level, indicating that they are only suited for play against Adversaries of a similar level.

>How can I make my own Adversary?
Post your desired rules text, color identity, illustration and artist-to-credit in this thread and I might make it for you! Alternatively, make it yourself in Photoshop or an MTG card creation program. I will then add it to the .xml file and it will become available to everyone.

>What is Cockatrice and where do I download it?
http://www.woogerworks.com/

>Adversary files and installation guide
http://pastebin.com/TCGtFAXF

>Player List
http://pastebin.com/m05wzSJF

>Level Guideline
http://pastebin.com/4fV7y17f

>Photoshop Template
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9i30t9lxpmf0ni/5%20Shared%20Adversary%20Template.psd?dl=0

>Obligatory Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTeRLM_ki84&list=PL1A0CA0B29E547F8A

>Previous Thread
>>44360536

>Are you guys having fun with the format?
>What Adversaries have you tried out?
>Which are your favourites so far?
>Would you somehow improve the format?
>Would you alter any Adversary in any manner?

... Sorry for tiny pic, posting from my phone.
>>
File: image.jpg (235 KB, 744x1039) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
235 KB, 744x1039
First for Magic Dance
>>
Second for "where the fuck are the other cards to use in Cockatrice"
>>
>>44383662
It's not like Adversary where you need to download a file and drop it in the folder manually.

1) Launch the Cock.
2) Click "Cockatrice" in the top left
3) Select "Check for Card Updates"
4) Update

It automatically downloads all 15000 MtG cards directly to your computer. I think it's around 50 megs.
>>
>>44383711
Thanks senpai
>>
>>44383711
>1) Launch the Cock.
This should be the first step of every single plan ever conceived.
>>
File: Flekto Magh.png (316 KB, 396x554) Image search: [Google]
Flekto Magh.png
316 KB, 396x554
Forgive my hideous formatting; I have no Photoshop and I must scream.
>>
>>44383999
I think that's a level 4.
>>
>>44383999
I concur with >>44384038
>>
>>44384038
>>44384115

If I limit his flashback only to red instants and black sorceries, would he qualify for a level 3? Level 4 stuff is usually more broken than free rebound.
>>
>>44384345
It's a combination of the rebound and being in three colours. I think your restriction would tone him down to a level 3, though. The starting hand size helps to keep him in check a bit.
>>
Reposting from last thread.
Plutark the Recycler
>Level: 2-3
>Type: Adversary, Vedalkin Artificer
>Color: UB
>Life: 16
>Hand:7

Whenever you sacrifice an artifact untap up to x permanents, where x is that artifact's converted mana cost.

Sacrifice a creature (T): Return an artifact with converted mana cost equal or less than the sacrificed creature's from your graveyard to your hand.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/plutark-example-deck/

I also brewed a fluffy example deck for him.
Thoughts /tg/? Is he too broken for levels 2/3?

>Still looking for worthy art.
>>
>>44384476
Adding to this, is the second ability too powerful? In tandem with the first ability it easily goes infinite with some of the cards in the deck posted.
>>
>>44384476
Why not toss Mindslaver and Academy Ruins in there?
>>
>>44384476
That is 100% too busted for level 2.

That's a high tier level 3 or low tier level 4 imo.
>>
Just woke up. Thanks for making the new thread while I was asleep. Going to catch up and start making cards again now.

>>44381783
You need to download all of the official MTG sets in Oracle. It's a program that comes bundled with Cockatrice. When you first install Cockatrice, it'll ask if you want to have Oracle download all the sets. If you said no, you'll now have to prompt it manually.
>>
>>44384659
I agree with you, and I want this adversary to be at a lower power level. How about:

>ub(T): As part of the cost of this ability sacrifice a creature. Return an artifact with converted mana cost equal or less than the sacrificed creature's from your graveyard to your hand.

Or

Sacrifice a creature (T): Return an artifact with converted mana cost four of less from your graveyard to your hand.

(Or the above, but 2/3 or less)

Trying to balance this while retaining combo potential.
>>
>>44384860
I think it'd require playtesting. It's hard to judge something like this in a vacuum.
>>
>>44384642
I was going for an artifact creature theme, though mindslaver would definitely be an interesting addition for the late game. Academy ruins has been added.
>>
First thing's first, nobody seemed to have any complaints about Fina, so I'm going to be using the 'gains all rules text' version for now instead of the 'gains all activated and keyword abilities' version. If there are issues with this, let me know and we'll change back.

>Maha-Kalpa
This would break a lot of cards, and render a lot of Adversaries unplayable. I would suggest coming up with a more elegant way to have both players get creatures in the graveyard that isn't hand size related, because hand size is an important aspect of Adversary balancing that will cause chaos when modified.
>Lich Lord Morghul
This one's quite interesting. We'd have to add a rule that Morghul decks can't contain more than 60 cards, since functionally having 60 life is already pretty insane. I also don't think you've made it entirely clear how returning cards from the graveyard to the library works. Do you get to choose which cards are moved, or is it essentially 'from the top of your graveyard'? 'In any order' also seems irrelevant when they're being moved to the bottom of the library, except for in the very last turns of a losing battle. It's quite wordy, so I would suggest removing clutter wherever possible.
>Kthurak
Those Spawns need to die on the end step. I'm also considering reducing it from two spawns per upkeep to one, at which point Kthurak would have a good chance of fitting in at your intended level, 2. If you wanted to keep it at 2 spawns, he'd start off at level 3 and I wouldn't be surprised if he were moved to level 4 after playtesting.
>Phantasmagoria
There are two ways this Adversary can be accepted - either you go with that one anon's suggestion for them to be X/1's rather than X/X's, or you increase the mana cost to (X)(U)(R), (T).
>Plutarch
I can see this guy being ridiculous, but I'd like to find out by seeing him in play rather than just staring at his rules text. Post an image and I'll make it.
>>
File: Plutark the Recycler.png (316 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Plutark the Recycler.png
316 KB, 375x523
Plutark guy here, I was just going to use a crop of Key Walker's Vedalkin Archmage. As for his second ability, I'm nerfing it to pic related or the same, but change the phyrexian mana symbol for a standard colorless one, your choice.Thanks so much if you do make this. His power level should be a 3 now.... subject to testing.

>Photo:
http://archive.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_jm68_picMain_en.jpg

Pic related is a dogshit mockup I threw together.
>>
>Flekto
Consider changing it to '(T): The next instant or sorcery you cast has rebound.'
I'm not sure if the wording there is proper, but the change is fairly important for him to be at all manageable.
>Runna
This is absolutely a level 1. I'll make it for you in just a moment.
>Rose
Jesus. Give her 12 life and 4 hand size and I'll consider it for level 5.
>Large Spider
Needs a better name, and I would alter the second effect from 'copy it for eachother spider cast this turn' to 'if a spider creature spell was already cast this turn, copy it'.
>>
File: mtgcom_daily_jm68_picMain_en.jpg (28 KB, 289x230) Image search: [Google]
mtgcom_daily_jm68_picMain_en.jpg
28 KB, 289x230
>>44385296
>>44385176
And I forget the most crucial part. Here is a crop as well, if you need it.
>>
>>44385304
>Flekto
I thought level 4 is supposed to be super busted stuff.

>Rose
>Level 5: Don't even try.
>>
>>44385304
>>44385332
Flekto creator here. I honestly want to pare him down to level 3 or two if possible.

Whether that's limiting his rebounding to a specific color, or sorceries, or "When you cast your first instant or sorcery spell from your hand on your turn, it gains rebound." ala Narset.
>>
File: Runna.png (843 KB, 744x1039) Image search: [Google]
Runna.png
843 KB, 744x1039
>>44385332
>I thought level 4 is supposed to be super busted stuff.
I'll take this opportunity to make a PSA: do not actively try to create busted Adversaries.

Runna was the third-to-last Adversary to be pitched, and yet she is the first one I've created today. This is because her power level is modest and her concept is clean and streamlined. The level 4's and 5's are invariably going to be the last ones I get to, because they are the least playable cards - and since only around 5-6 people are playing matches right now, they're inevitably going to be ignored in favor of level 3's and below, where they will see more use and be viable against a greater range of opponents.
>>
>>44385493
If you want him at level 2, I think you have to attach a real cost to it. I would increase hand size to 7 but attach a some kind of cost to the rebounding effect.

Just my 2 cents; it could very well be that I'm being overconservative.
>>
File: TRIGGERED.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
TRIGGERED.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
>>44384860
>world enchantment
>subtype on an enchantment
>that ability cost

come on man look at actual magic cards before make one. World Enchantments are deprecated, Its just an enchantment. Don't include a subtype on it without the Tribal keyword as well, which should probably be avoided as well.

see attached for how to write the cost properly.

my trip wants me to identifiy islands. It knows.
>>
>>44385541
Captcha. I'm a moron at 2am apparently.
>>
>>44385531
She's useless though. It basically reads "Kill Runna in one shot at 6 HP; nothing happens and your opponent is playing a monowhite Modern deck." She's not interactive at all, which makes her super boring.
>>
File: ele.jpg (114 KB, 440x810) Image search: [Google]
ele.jpg
114 KB, 440x810
Throwin' out some new designs.
First up, one that more changes the nature of the game;

Chronominus, Temporal Entity - (2 or 3)
U / R
Adversary - Shuffle

Creature spells cannot be cast from hand.

All creature cards gain Suspend 2, where the suspend cost is equal to the cards mana cost.

18 / 6
Artist - Liu Dante
>>
>>44385576
Well, that fits the description of Level 1 in the OP's level guide. If anything, lots of the Level 1s being designed are too powerful for Level 1.
>>
>>44385576
Level 1's are intended to be close to indistinguishable from regular play, so that's fine.
That said, even by level 1 standards Runna is a bit weak, so she may become a bit fancier in the future. Luxos was both terrible and very dull to begin with, but now he's actually pretty solid.
>>
>>44385604
Level 1 seems like a total waste of time if this is the case. Why play a format where your unique mechanic or twist to MtG is dead weight/boring non interactive shit that doesn't come up?

Level 2 master race.
>>
>>44385621
Yeah. I'm a bigger fan of the space that levels 2 and 3 occupy.
>>
>>44385621
Well, Runna in particular doesn't look impossible, necessarily, to get going. There are phyrexian mana costs in white at instant speed.
>>
>>44385621
Level 1's generally originate from a concept. 'How can I express this character mechnically?'
Level 2-3's generally originate from a mechanic. 'How can I capitalize on these abilities?'

Fina is virtually useless until she has 5 mana, but her existence makes dragon-human decks viable. As a result, I have more fun playing her than I do playing Deus.
>>
That said...

>>44385531
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have 10 or less life, put a tenacity counter on Runna.
(T): Draw X cards, gain X life and put X 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens on the battlefield, where X is the number of tenacity counters on Runna.

Would this be more interesting? I'd like the opinion of the original creator as well.
>>
>>44385676
Not the original creator, but I like the original better. This one rewards you with board and card advantage for dipping under 11 life for the rest of the game. The original rewards you for trying to dance a boundary near-death, and stops rewarding you if you can't manage to do it.
>>
>>44385739
Fair point.
The original Runna's concept was 'desperate last-minute counterattack', whereas my one would be more like 'hold out for reinforcements'.
>>
>>44385780
Yeah. I like both, but I think yours is actually a little too powerful for your philosophy of level 1. Gaining access to repeatable card advantage for the rest of the game is a huge, huge deal.

Which is why I also think Shiramon is inappropriate for level 1. I'd say he's level 2, or the card he targets goes to top of library instead of to hand.
>>
Still lookng to fix Flekto.

{R}{U}{B} : When you cast your next instant or sorcery spell from your hand this turn, it gains rebound.

Still too strong?

I'd like to see some level 2s and 3s for comparison purposes. On my tablet, so no Cockatrice atm.
>>
>>44385815
>{R}{U}{B} : When you cast your next instant or sorcery spell from your hand this turn, it gains rebound.
This is exactly what I was about to suggest. I was just trying to track down the art you used, actually, yours is next up.
>>
>>44385815
I think that is somewhere in level 2, personally.

Just so you know, though, the reality is that Adversaries are all over the place. There is no consistent power level in any tier yet; just an ideal that needs to be iterated toward.
>>
>>44385839
I posted the art in the last thread. It's from my friend PumpkinPie92's DA.
>>
File: 1424798732409.jpg (144 KB, 730x1095) Image search: [Google]
1424798732409.jpg
144 KB, 730x1095
>>44385584

Thrash, the Slime-weaver - (2)
G / B
Adversary - Shuffle

At the beginning of your upkeep, put 1/1 Green and Black Ooze token into play.

T, Sacrifice two or more Ooze creatures you control: Put an X/Y Black and Green Ooze token into play, where X is the sacrificed creatures combined Power and Y is the sacrificed creatures combined Toughness.

20 / 7
Artist - Thiago-Almeda
>>
>>44385815
>>44385841

Level 2, because the cost is about the same if not worse than already existing Rebound cards.

Compare 2R Staggershock vs Shock + RUB.

Although late game/some spells with rebound are quite nice.
>>
File: Flekto Magh, Space Terror.png (873 KB, 744x1039) Image search: [Google]
Flekto Magh, Space Terror.png
873 KB, 744x1039
>>44385867
Ah, you did. Sorry, it's hard to keep track of these things sometimes.
>>
>>44385839
>>44385541
What this guy said. Apparently I can't make cards worth a damn. Should be, "(1)(u/b),(t), Sacrifice a creature.
>OR
(1/2life)(u/b),(t), Sacrifice a creature.
(Whichever is more elegant in your opinion.)

Sorry for changing stuff around, but I want this to conform as much as possible to the real deal. Thanks again.
>>
>>44385917
When's the next xml update?
>>
File: Flekto Magh, Space Terror.png (880 KB, 744x1039) Image search: [Google]
Flekto Magh, Space Terror.png
880 KB, 744x1039
>>44385917
Every now and then I forget to change the card's frame, and it is super embarassing every time.
>>
>>44385923
The last .xml update had 24 Adversaries total. Including Flekto, we now have 32, so I'll probably add two more and then update the .xml.
>>
>>44385937
Awwright. I'm excited.
>>
>>44385921
Wait, you want to have to sacrifice a creature and tap to activate that effect? Are you sure? Don't get me wrong, that's fairly balanced for a perpetual rebound ability but it's a significant departure from what was being pitched originally.
>>
>>44385927
Fucking awesome. Looks great.
>>
>>44385956
I think that anon is talking about a different Adversary.

Also, I love the new captchas... except on mobile.
>>
>>44385296
Is that phyrexian mana black or colorless? I can't tell.
>>
>>44385921
>>44385996
>>44386000
Oh, hold on, I get it.
I got confused because you responded to my Flekto post.
Plutark coming up.
>>
>>44386000
Looks colourless to me. Probably the reason phyrexian mana is usually coloured. I recommend changing it to black phyrexian. Also, nice trips.
>>
>>44385956
>>44385996
Its the same guy, I changed the name a bit. The original was way too powerful and went infinite very easily.. too easily. The current one still goes infinite, but it takes more than a 1 card combo to do so.
>>44386034
Colourless.
>>
Are we missing any tri color combinations for L2 or 3 adversaries?
>>
>>44386098
Oh, now I am confused. I am plutark, not that other one. Now EVERYONE is confused. I'll namefag for now.
>>
>>44386098
I recommend changing that phyrexian mana to either coloured Phyrexian mana or adding "Pay 2 life or pay {1}. If you do, ..."

Because colourless Phyrexian mana is unprecedented and kinda confusing due to similarity with black Phyrexian, as we just saw.
>>
>>44386125
Indeed you are right. The mtg card maker mislead me. Up to Hawk now. Could always change it to black phyrexian, or just one generic mana (though this would further lower his power level.)
>>
As I'm writing out this rules text, it is becoming increasingly clear to me how many infinites are going to be facilitated by this effect...
>>
>>44386140
I think black Phyrexian would be a 100% fine change.
>>
>>44386152
Well, how much that matters depends on what you think level 3 should mean.

>>44385927
You don't need to specify "from your hand" with rebound, because the Rebound keyword already requires that the spell be cast from hand.

Though I highly recommend adding the reminder text seeing how you have the room for it.

(If you cast this spell from your hand, exile it as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost.)
>>
File: 1375634323859.jpg (88 KB, 637x496) Image search: [Google]
1375634323859.jpg
88 KB, 637x496
>>44386152
Isn't it beautiful?
Infinite combos are my fetish. Its like my havengul lich deck but even more FUN.
>>
File: shaman.jpg (409 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
shaman.jpg
409 KB, 750x750
Tulaway, the Channeler level 2
RGU

Play with the top card of your library revealed.

As long as the top card of your library is a land card, Tulaway, the Channeler has "{T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

Too weak?
>>
>>44386189
That's exactly how the text is from a pre existing card though, regardig giving things rebound.

http://magiccards.info/dtk/en/225.html
>>
>>44386203
I like it a lot. Solid. His tier would honestly depend on starting life and hand size imo.
>>
>>44386220
Oh. Y'know, that makes sense; that covers the case where you flashback something and then cast something from your hand. With the wording on Narset, your payment isn't wasted. Good point.
>>
>>44386203
I'd say that's a level 2 at 20 life and 7 cards starting.

Adjusts up and down depending how you adjust those numbers.
>>
>>44386229
>>44386240

Level 2 is most fun, so 20 and 7 seems good to me.
>>
>>44386200
Uhh... I'm not sure I can actually approve this one, in that case. I understand that being sneaky and clever about setting up infinite combos can be fun, but I don't want to create and add a card to my format that exists primarily to grind the game to a screeching halt and auto-win a match. There are some cheap Adversaries, sure, but the intent was not to break the game, merely change how it is played.
Sorry.
>>
>>44386253
Fine by me. Godspeed friendo.
>>
>>44386253
Infinite combos are a part of magic and indeed there are a lot of them simply built into the Modern card pool. You simply can't get away from them.

Also consider that it's a singleton format; combos are harder to assemble.
>>
>>44386275
And that said, the vision for the format is yours. If shying away from infinite combos is your prerogative, so be it. Just wanted to give my two cents.
>>
>>44386275
>>44386284
The issue with Plutark is the ease with which combos are assembled. Essentially he turns artifact creatures into: b+u/b, activate an etb on an artifact. Infinite combos just need to find a way to counter this cost...via affinity, etc.

Wait a moment, hold on. If his cost is t, b+u/b, colorless mana combos won't go infinite anymore. Let me check, this may be manageable with changes.
>>
File: Tulaway, the Channeler.png (708 KB, 744x1039) Image search: [Google]
Tulaway, the Channeler.png
708 KB, 744x1039
>>44386203
If this were monogreen, it would be an easy level 1. As it stands, level 2 fits just fine. Here you go.

>>44386275
>>44386284
That's fair enough, but the inevitably of infinite combos is mitigated in official Magic by the inherent randomization of card draw.
When your Adversary directly enables infinite combos, there are no mitigating factors. It is in play from turn one and cannot be removed.

>>44386264
Thank you for understanding.
>>
>>44386346
Coooool.
>>
>>44386328
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/plutark-example-deck/
I think I have an out. If you change the first ability to only untap plutark, then add (CMC) generic mana to your pool then it no longer can go infinite... at least using the list I put together. He loses some utility and fun with manadorks/ mana rocks, but that was probably for the better.

First ability:
Whenever you sacrifice an artifact untap Plutark then add (x) to your mana pool, where x is the artifact's converted mana cost.
>>44386346
On afterthought I won't be killed off this easily. Mwahaha.
>>
File: tranchefeux.jpg (371 KB, 748x1069) Image search: [Google]
tranchefeux.jpg
371 KB, 748x1069
>>44386346
Gonna riff on this with a similar theme.

Future-scorn Lich
Level 2 (I think)
U/B

Play with the top card of your library revealed.

As long as the top card of your library is an instant or a sorcery card, you may play the top card of your library.

15/5
>>
>>44386447
Magus of the Future limited to instants and sorceries, eh?

Not sure if strong.
>>
>>44386447
I think that compared to other Level 2 adversaries, the effect isn't so powerful that you need to start the hand size at 5.
>>
>>44386422
I'm actually fairly sure you could still go infinite with that, and with relative ease. I get the impression that you designed Plutark from the ground up to be an infinite enabler, so is it really worth trying to remove that aspect of him? Would there be anything left without it? It's an interesting card, but in terms of adding it to a closed custom format that is still taking baby steps towards balancing itself? I don't think I can justify that.

>>44386447
I might add this in the fourth batch of new Adversaries, but I think it would be a waste to add him now when he's so similar to Tulaway, especially since we only have one slot left before the .xml is updated. It is good, though.
>>
>>44386507
>it would be a waste to add him now when he's so similar to Tulaway
Er, similar in concept, that is, not necessarily in effect. They're substantially different in effect.
>>
>>44386507
No worries. Thought it would be cool to have like an anti Tulaway
>>
>>44385584
>>44385871
Any thoughts on these guys, then?
>>
File: undead_paladin_by_forge_t.jpg (202 KB, 1000x747) Image search: [Google]
undead_paladin_by_forge_t.jpg
202 KB, 1000x747
Bestel, Hand of Protection (1)

Adversary - {W}{B}

{T}, Pay 5 life: Choose one --

- Target creature gains hexproof until end of turn.
- The next time a source of your choice would deal damage to target creature this turn, prevent that damage. If damage is prevented this way, lose life equal to the amount of damage prevented.

{20}{7}

Artist Credit: Lukasz Dudek
>>
>>44386567
Both of them seem quite interesting. Here's the problem, though:
We have five Adversaries who are technically ready to be created, but only one slot left for the next .xml update. I'm not sure how to choose who gets in first.

Candidates are:
>Jareth, Goblin King
>Na'Zaram, Spiral Chronolord
>Prince Zael, Saint of Blades
>Chronominus, Temporal Entity
>Thrash, the Slime-weaver
>>
Farah, Familiar Keeper
Adversary
Color:GW
Rules:
1(G) Put a 0/1 Familiar token onto the battlefield. Target creature gains (G),(t) regenerate target Familiar creature token.
{18}{7}
>>44386507
Probably for the best.
>>
File: karkemish00.jpg (659 KB, 1600x1870) Image search: [Google]
karkemish00.jpg
659 KB, 1600x1870
Mad Prince Stolas - 2
RWB

{T} : Shuffle target nontoken permanent you control into its owner's library. Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a permanent card, put it onto the battlefield.

17/6

MADNESS
>>
>>44386627
It's a little hard to decide or vote on the candidates because they've been posted and updated throughout the thread. But I'll give some comments on what I think(?) are the final versions; perhaps it'll help you make a decision.

>Jareth
Really tame for a level 4. Probably level 3.

>Na'Zaram
Not much to say. It's level 5 and it's crazy.

>Prince Zael
Busted. Starting with 9 cards is pretty insane to begin with, but being able to drop a Blightsteel Colossus for 3 mana doesn't tickle me as a level 2.

>Chronominus
Interesting. Changes the nature of the game as advertised.

>Thrash
Strikes me as a level 3, not a level 2.
>>
>>44386679
Hahahaha what
>>
>>44386679
>Lands, Blightsteel Colossi, and Eldrazi.dek
>>
>>44386679
Rishadan Pawnshop and Chaos Warp with the drawback that you might not get fucking anything. Pretty funny
>>
>>44386700
Don't forget omniscience.
>>
>>44386711
Not in his colour identity so I suppose at least that's not a big deal.
>>
>>44386711
Omniscience is blue, so that one is out.
>>
>>44386679
That art is boss as fuck though.
>>
>>44386627
Okay, here's my logic for deciding the final spot in the next update:
>Jareth is out for now because we already have a goblin-based Adversary.
>Na'Zaram is out for now because everything else aside, lower levels naturally take priority.
>Zael is out for now because I went back and looked at his rules text and good god.

I like both Chronominus and Thrash a lot. Chronominus seems like he warrants a bit more discussion and critique before he is added, while Thrash is more straightforward but arguably less interesting.
>>
File: 1444759319200.jpg (143 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1444759319200.jpg
143 KB, 400x400
>>44386716
I read B as U. Should I go to sleep? Who am I kidding.
>>
>>44386606
5 life is steep. But then again, level 1...
>>
>>44386700
I never considered that, although it's still somewhat of a gamble.

How about we INCREASE THE SOUP?

{T} : Shuffle target nontoken permanent you control into its owner's library. Reveal the top card of your library. If it's an instant or sorcery card, cast it without paying its mana cost.

Now what?
>>
>>44386749
Well, let's see what you could be potentially casting off shuffling a land back into your deck.

>Curse of the Cabal
>Dead Drop
>Storm Herd
>Soulscour
>Blasphemous Act
>In Garruk's Wake
>Rise of the Dark Realms
>Heroes Remembered
>Worldfire (LOL)
>Worst Fears
>Invincible Hymn
>Boulderfall

and much more.

I think that unless you attach some real cost to the ability, this dude is like, at least a level 3 and maybe a 4.
>>
>>44386785
Fiiine, we'll go with my other less fun idea.

Whenever Mad Prince Stolas becomes untapped, reveal the top card of your library and put that card into your hand. You lose life equal to that card's converted mana cost.

{T} : Discard a card.
>>
>>44386785
There's also Army of the Damned. Yeah, the list just goes on.
>>
>>44386798
So he's a loot on a stick that hurts you.

Sounds like level 2 territory.

But your original ideas were so much more fun and would probably be fine for higher levels.
>>
>>44386798
This could work. Lets you pitch stuff to the graveyard, or madness trigger. Can also find other ways to tap him? Maybe?

Do adversaries count as permanents?
>>
>>44386808
They're permanents (I think) but cannot be interacted in pretty much any way, except for Deus's ability.
>>
File: index.jpg (521 KB, 1488x1039) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
521 KB, 1488x1039
Fuck it, have both.
That brings our Adversary total to 35. Now I'm going to put card creation on hold and work on updating the .xml with the 11 new Adversaries, as well as the balance updates to the existing Adversaries.

Also, I'm going to change how adding Adversaries works temporarily. The .xml update after this one will include only 5 new Adversaries. Only people who have played at least one Adversary match in Cockatrice and who have already had no more than 2 of their Adversaries added to the set will be eligible to pitch new Adversaries until the update after that one.
(You can still post custom Adversaries in the threads, they just won't be added to the .xml unless you fit the criteria.)
>>
>>44386975
Forgot to mention that I had to change Chronominus' artwork because the included image was too small. As always, if you want it swapped out, post a larger image and I'll do that for you.
>>
Zelia, Void Adept
URB
Skip your draw step
(t) Draw 4 cards
(t) Discard your hand, then search your library for a card, reveal that card, then put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.
During your end step exile two cards from your hand.

[18/3]
>>
>>44386820
>>44386975
Neato.
Don't mind the change to Chronominus' art, looks fine to me.

Thrash is wrong though- you haven't included the "sacrifice two or more creatures" part of his second ability, and it didn't have a mana cost..
>>
>>44387151
Oh, whoops. I could've sworn I put in the sacrifice part.
The mana cost is intentional, though. Without it, he is unquestionably a level 3, but with it, there is a good chance that after some playtesting he'll be brought down to level 2. The mana cost may also be removed after playtesting, we'll have to see. Hope you don't mind; I thought it was a necessary addition.
>>
>>44387170
I see, well that tweak is fine and we'll see how it pans out then, I guess.
>>
>>44386975
A note on english, for Thrash, you ought to put an apostrophe after the instances of the word 'creatures' because possessive.
>>
>>44387195
>>44387183
Done and done.
>>
I'll be home in a few hours, guys mind setting me up with a backlog to tread through when I get home?
>>
>>44387343
Whoops. Forgot the name.
>>
File: screencap.png (392 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
screencap.png
392 KB, 1920x1040
Alright, update 2 is live with 35 Adversaries! Download from the OP pastebin or right here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/is49xv36d5xpxah/Adversary%20.xmls%20%2824%29.rar?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21qhbasmecaqdre/Adversary%20Card%20Images%20%2824%29.rar?dl=0

And a reminder:
>I'm going to change how adding Adversaries works temporarily. The .xml update after this one will include only 5 new Adversaries. Only people who have played at least one Adversary match in Cockatrice and who have already had no more than 2 of their Adversaries added to the set will be eligible to pitch new Adversaries until the update after that one.
(You can still post custom Adversaries in the threads, they just won't be added to the .xml unless you fit the criteria.)

I'll be online pretty much all day if someone wants to play a few matches.
>>
>>44386688
>Zael
Isn't Blightsteel Colossus an Artifact Creature?, Do those count as Artifacts?

Prince Zael is designed to be the perfect Adversary to utilize Equipment cards with, not really anything else. Now that I look at it maybe I'll redo this one's abilities to keep in line with the theme. I accept suggestions though.

>Jareth
Maybe I'll give it a boost then. Although it being lvl3 wouldn't be too bad either.

>Na'Zaram
Not much to say. It was meant to be crazy.

... But seriously, never again will I pitch something as powerful as him. If I can help it all my cards for now on will be below lvl5.
>>
As for the next batch of cards, I have an idea.

Azzon, Ethereal King (3)(U)

(2)(U)(T): All creatures on the battlefield gain Vanishing 3.

17/6
>>
>>44387377
>Isn't Blightsteel Colossus an Artifact Creature?, Do those count as Artifacts?
They do, yes. You'd have to say 'noncreature artifacts'.
>... But seriously, never again will I pitch something as powerful as him. If I can help it all my cards for now on will be below lvl5.
Haha, good!
>>
A bit similar to Calico

Ubgurret, Investigator (2)

Adversary (UB)

You have no maximum hand size.

When a creature enters the battlefield, draw a card.

When a creature leaves the battle field, discard a card.

15/3
>>
>>44387400
Opinion on Jareth?, Boost or lower lever?

Also latest version for Na'Zaram:

>You cannot draw during your draw step.
>Add a Timeshift counter to Na'Zaram during your upkeep.
>Remove a Timeshift counter from Na'Zaram: Search for a card in your library and add it to to your hand.
>Remove three Timeshift counters from Na'Zaram: Gain an additional turn after this one.

>New color affiliation: (U)(G)

I think I got balance down this time around.
>>
So, potential inductee here whos at work and cant check the pastebin. Could I potentially get a brief run down of what adversaries we have if possible? Barring that, an idea of what sort of design space stil needs to be filled?

Im interested in potentially making some adversaries and I got a good few hours in front of me to brainstorm but I dont want to make things that have already been made if we got some empty spaces.
>>
>>44386447

This effect is usually worse than just starting with a normal hand of seven cards... it's actually even worse than a hand of six cards. You're basically throwing away the seventh card in your hand and saying that whatever card is the sixth is always revealed to your opponent and can only be played if it's an instant or sorcery. It does do neat things like convert scry to another form of looting but that hardly seems worth all the drawbacks. I'd argue this would probably be balanced at level 1 with either -1 hand or -5 life.
>>
>>44387528
>Opinion on Jareth?, Boost or lower lever?
Lower level + slight nerf. Change the amount of magic dance counters required to populate to three, and I can see it being a level 3.
>Also latest version for Na'Zaram
That's a big improvement on the original idea, but still insanely powerful. It essentially translates to 'If you would draw a card, instead search your library for a card and put it into your hand', and then you have the additional turn ability in addition to that.
In its current state, I would accept it as a level 5.
If you were to remove the additional turn ability and agree to a starting hand total of around 3, I would accept it as a level 4.

>>44387592
Can you look at images, at least?
http://i.imgur.com/g1XZ0ZU.jpg
My PC almost exploded trying to stitch all these images together, so I hope you can.
(Filesize is too big for 4chan)
>>
>>44386975
I fear I don't fit the criteria, since I simply cannot play matches right now since I can only get online remotely through my phone. I have been following this general with great interest from thread 1 though, so I have a more or less clear grasp of how to create a (more or less) balanced Adversary. May an exception be made for my case?
>>
>>44387653
How many Adversaries (if any) have you pitched and had added to the .xml so far?
>>
>>44387653
If I can bug Hawk toteach me how to code cards, I'd be glad to make the exception.
>>44387592
Try making some based around various keywords like dredge or Bushido.
>>
>>44387640
K, 3 Magic Dance counters it is.

Also I'll lower Na'Zaram's starting hand to 7 and keep the wording as it is, since it forces you not to draw for three turns to activate the time walk.

I designed it to be around Deus' level after all. It was meant that way to expand the lvl5 pool, cement the approximate power a lvl5 should have and make playtesting among lvl5s possible, since right now only Deus exists.

If you do go ahead on creating this one pic the artwork you like the most among the few I proposed. Maybe the Amano one would be the most fitting?, I really don't know.
>>
Interesting concept!
Just throwing a few ideas. Sorry for the bad wording, i rarely play magic in english.

Algest, rioter-born (2)

R(B?)

Creatures you control gain "T: this creature deals 1 damage to target creature or player."

Whenever a non-token creature dies, you may untap a creature you control.

15/6

---

Suleb, lunatic advisor (2)

UW

Whenever a player cast an instant or sorcery spell, he may pay an additional 3. If so, he may put in play under his control x 1/1 flying white/blue bird tokens, where x is the spell's converted mana cost.

20/6
>>
Attempting.

Great Shepherd Aun'tep (3)
Adversary - WBG

Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies, put a 1/1 colorless spirit with flying onto the battlefield.

Sacrifice X Spirits you control: Return target creature card with converted mana cost X from your graveyard to the battlefield.

{25}{7}

I feel as if this is too abuseable. Thoughts?

Artist is MrDream on Deviantart.
>>
>>44387656
Let me make a list...
>Candidate, Demonic Statesman
>Ananta Sesha, Grand Omnyodo
>Na'Zaram, Spiral Chronolord
>Jareth the Goblin King
>Prince Zael, Saint of Blades (did you see the artwork I picked btw?
>Govaran, Phyrexian Defector
>Newborn, Young God

I've also influenced the creation or modification of...
>Phantasmagoria, Living Illusion
>Deus, the Creator
>Goriga, Brood Matriarch
>Emissary of the Maelstrom
>Hernozak, Planar Devourer
>Exxytat, Eternal Sliver
>Maha-Kalpa, Samsara Enforcer
>Lich Lord Morghul the Dreaded
>Kthurak, Tormentor of Sentience
>Plutarch, the Recycler

For simplicity purposes I haven't included Adversaries for which my suggestions weren't accepted. In short, I have influenced the creation of more Adversaries than I have not.
>>
>>44387701
Algest seems fun with krenko & haste enabler
>>
>>44387897
Ah, I see. I might have made an exception if you hadn't already had two Adversaries of your creation added to the .xml, but with Candidate and Ananta in mind you wouldn't be eligible for this next 5-card update. I'd ideally like the number of accepted Adversaries-per-creator to remain quite small, that way a greater number of people get to play with at least one of their personal Adversaries. I am very thankful for your contributions to the threads though. In terms of balancing Adversaries and responding to pitches, you sort of do my job for me, which is lovely.
The eligibility thing is going to go away after that 5-card update, so don't worry, I'll be back to accepting whichever Adversaries sound the most interesting after that, at which point more of yours may be put in. Sorry!

>>44387890
Change it to 'from your graveyard to your hand' and I would accept that as a level 2 or 3, depending on playtest results.

>>44387701
Both of these are interesting. I think Algest is closer to being level 3 than 2, but I wouldn't change much other than that.
>>
>>44387993

To hand seems fair, perhaps with a lower starting hand or 17 lifetotal ish. Would that be an acceptable LvL 2?
>>
>>44387993
Alright, that's no trouble then. Also odds are I don't actually ever get to play with you guys on Cockatrice, but I was planning on printing some of your decks and testing the format at my lgs (maybe set up a tournament to check the reception and feedback of people outside this general.
>>
>>44388064
Oh, that's a shame. Why won't you be able to play with us? I know that you can only connect on your phone right now, I just assumed that was a temporary restriction.
As for printing out Adversary decks, that's a wonderful idea and I'd appreciate hearing what those people say very much. I don't know how expensive it would be to print out an entire deck, though, or even just a bunch of Adversaries. Don't do it if it costs a lot!
>>44388053
>Would that be an acceptable LvL 2?
To begin with, absolutely. You'll want to check >>44386975 though.
>>
>>44388064
I'm not sure a tournament would be a great idea for now. The standards by which adversaries are currently judged don't hold up well when you apply a Spike mentality to deckbuilding. There's too much imbalance within the levels imo.
>>
>>44388122
But also this, yeah.
>>
>>44388120
I recommend using version numbers for your file releases so that it's easier to keep everybody on the same page.

Filenames such as adversary_v03.rar and adversaryImages_v03.rar for example.
>>
>>44388122
Are you referring to me or someone else?
>>
>>44388177
I mean Spike as in the Magic player demographics.

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr11b

Basically, in Magic vernacular, a Spike is somebody who plays to win above all else.
>>
>>44388195
Psychographics*.

Also, anyone wanna play?
>>
>>44388201
I'll play.
>>
>>44387934
>>44387993
Thanks, updated version with the illustrations coming up.
I'm a bit conflicted over Algest colour identity. Should he stay Red only or go Red-Black for even more sillyness (more sacrifice tricks, rats or shadowborn-themed deck)?

Algest, rioter-born (3)

R

Creatures you control gain "T: this creature deals 1 damage to target creature or player."

Whenever a non-token creature dies, you may untap a creature you control.

15/6

Artist : Raymond Swanland
>>
>>44388120
>>44388122
Thing is, I don't actually have Internet at home because I live in a motherfucking mud hut in Africa.

Jokes aside, I actually can only get online through my phone. Maybe in a couple years if this survives things will have changed, but as it is its simply not feasible.

Also don't worry, I was planing on printing the cards on cheap paper, cutting them out and then put them on a plastic sleeve alongside an actual card to act as the backside. The shittiest of counterfeits that is. It shouldn't matter since its just for testing purposes.

Regarding balance issues, that shouldn't be a problem. Soonest date I can set this up would be 1-2 weeks from now and at the rhythm we are going we should have balanced the format a bit. That said I plan on printing 2-3 decks of each level picked by you guys to see how they play against eachother in the same tier and between different ones. If anything it can always be postponed anyways.
>>
And now unto checking today's pitches. Back to the top.
>>
>>44387659
I'd be much grateful if you did make a few cards for me. That way Hawk wouldn't have to do it himself later and the pitches wouldn't be forgotten.

I'll hit you up when I'm done reviewing.
>>
File: Seller_of_Songbirds.jpg (362 KB, 620x507) Image search: [Google]
Seller_of_Songbirds.jpg
362 KB, 620x507
>>44388248

Suleb, lunatic advisor (2)

UW

Whenever a player cast an instant or sorcery spell, he may pay an additional 3. If so, he may put in play under his control x 1/1 flying white/blue bird tokens, where x is the spell's converted mana cost.

20/6

Artist : Christopher Moeller
>>
>>44388284
Absolutely just need to get home first.
>>
>>44388325
Lol don't worry, I'll most likely need a couple hours anyways.
>>
>>44387640
The image worked for me, many thanks.

>>44387659
This is what I came up with for Dredge: No name cause I suck at names

Color Identity- GB

1: Target creature card in your graveyard gains Dredge X, where X is equal to that creature's power divided by two, rounded up.

At the beginning of your upkeep put the top two cards of your library into your graveyard.

Life-20 Hand Size-7

This is what I ended up with. A few separate ideas I had were to have the activated ability cost GB instead and/or to have the Dredge equal to the creatures power minus toughness with a minimum of 1. Im trying to design them at lvl 2 or 3 but Ill leave the judging up to you guys. Got a couple more coming hopefully soon.
>>
>>44383804
>>44385176
I see what you mean anon. Having every spell and ability, even your own, be a kill spell really is a big drawback. Still,I'd listen to Hawk here and have tokens be X/1, because you actually benefit from the fuckers dying. Its actually a boost to have them be frail and cheap. This way it definitely wouldn't be either too weak or boring as you feared.
>>
>>44388421
Next up for my ideas I tried to make a RW Adversary that wasnt built around combat tricks, as many people bemoan that thats all RW gets. I went with the reparations route on this one No name again cause I suck and no art cause all I have for art on my phone is Lovecraftian horrors

Color Identity - RW

Pay 2 life: Target opponent gains 2 life. Draw a card.

Whenever an opponent discards a card you gain 1 life.

Life 18, Hand 6

Im imagining this, thematically, as what amounts to charity workers. They give away what they have (life) to gain happiness/enlightenment/whathaveyou (card draw). With the gaining life off of discard being them taking what others are throwing away to feed back into the above equation. The only thing Im worried about with this is wheel effects really.
>>
File: 1419943632215.jpg (632 KB, 1000x1400) Image search: [Google]
1419943632215.jpg
632 KB, 1000x1400
>>44388579
Last one I have for now, and my personal favorite. Picture isnt final, but I had something that could maybe fit on my phone so I figured why not.

Lamahk, Aspiring Lich
Color Identity- B

1B/P, sacrifice a creature: Draw a card. If the sacrificed creature was a Human put a 2/2 Black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield.

1B/P B/P: Return target Human creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield, that creature loses all creature types and becomes a Zombie.

Life 16, Hand 7

My only real concern with this is the Phyrexian mana. As is, I dont think being able to pay the life would be too powerful but Im open for debate on that one. Currently trying to think of something for Bushido/Samurai but I havent thought of anything that hasnt already been done in card form.
>>
>>44388712
In the idea of playing with keywords, think I got one for exploit.

Color Identity- BUG

1U: The next creature you cast this turn gains Exploit and "Whenever this creature exploits a creature you may return target creature with power less than the sacrificed creature's power an opponent controls to their owner's hand."

1B: The next creature you cast this turn gains Exploit and "Whenever this creature exploits a creature you may draw cards equal to the sacrificed creature's power."

1G: The next creature you cast this turn gains Exploit and "Whenever this creature exploits a creature you may gain life equal to the sacrificed creature's toughness."

Life 16, Hand 6

The Black exploit may need to be toned down a bit but I dont want to make it a flat two card draw cause then saccing 1 power creatures is a repeatable Altars Reap on creature cast. But a flat one card doesnt seem terribly worth it either.
>>
>>44384476
>>44384659
>>44384860
I honestly don't see the big deal with this one. I can't identify any particular exploits that would make it lvl3, much less lvl4.

Still, If you are worried that taxing you proposed, the '(U)(B)(T): Sacrifice a creature' one should more than do it to keep it lvl2.

Still, I saw you came up with a preview in which you made those mana costs Phyrexian mana. This one >>44385296

This is just me being me, but somehow I can't see this guy being a Phyrexian, but more like an old Mirrodin adversary. I don't know, he just strikes me as such from a combo of name+art. Such matters are entirely your call though.
>>
>>44388579
I feel like you could change 'Pay 2 life: Target opponent gains 2 life. Draw a card.' to 'Pay 1 life: Target opponent gains 1 life. Draw a card.' and still have it be safely within level 2 territory. Possibly level 1. I love how conceptually driven it is.
>>44388712
I quite like this one as well. I don't have too much to say about it or suggest, I'd probably accept it as-is. I like Adversaries which merge two tribal archetypes since one of the first ones I made was similar.
>>44388421
Once again, I don't have much to add. You tend to create cards which aren't very objectionable.

I would make one of these for you right now, but the Adversary database was just updated a few hours ago and a slight restriction has been placed on future additions for a limited time. You might be able to fit the criteria when you get home from work, though. Let me know.
>>
>>44383481
So, this is just Vanguard with the color identity horseshit?

Why would you make Vanguard worse?
>>
File: 1405193029266.jpg (317 KB, 1600x867) Image search: [Google]
1405193029266.jpg
317 KB, 1600x867
>>44385176
>>44388424
Alright, we'll run with the tokens being X/1s for now. I apologize if I've come off as overly insistent or whatnot. I do appreciate the feedback on the idea. Anyway, final version is as follows:

Phantasmagoria, Living Illusion

Artist: 피콕 (Myung Sin Koo)

Color Identity: RU

T, X: Put an X/1 blue and red Illusion creature token named Spawn of Phantasmagoria onto the battlefield. Whenever a Spawn of Phantasmagoria becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it.

Whenever a creature named Spawn of Phantasmagoria dies, draw a card.

{25}{4}
>>
>>44385176
Let me point out these couple posts I made last thread regarding these three.

>>44381908
>>44381956

I really think that Maha-Kalpa would be ok if it only affected its user's side of the board, since balance issues arise from its interactions with the opponent's adversary. Getting cards in the graveyard through discard wouldn't be an issue then either, since you aren't forcing it onto the opponent. But yeah, have your hand size be reduced to 0 in the card text (not your starting hand though).

Regarding Morghul, Hawk's right, you gotta specify that bit. I wouldn't be opposed to being able to pick what cards go back to the library though. Its not that relevant since they are going to the bottom after all.

If you would like to both nerf it and make it less wordy I'd remove the life gain clause. Sure, that keeps you from getting cards (and therefore, lives) back, but you already have 60, which is insane.

Finally Kthurak. I know the version I proposed is, at the very least, level 4, even 5, but Christ, its magnificent. Just think about the batshit insane tribal decks you could make.

It's lvl5 broken, but fuck it, #YOLO.
>>
>>44389328
Concreting my proposal for Kthurak.

>Kthurak, Tormentor of Sentience (X)

>Adversary – (Anus)

>Whenever an Eldrazi Spawn you control deals damage to another player exile the top three cards of his/her library. You may cast those cards for their converted mana cost'

>{23}{5}

Now it can't generate tokens, but the Eldrazi Spawn you generate in your Eldrazi tribal no longer are mana stacks and meat shields, but a force to be reckoned with. This way it should be balanced for lvl3, lvl4.
>>
>>44389397
Small rewording:

>Whenever an Eldrazi Spawn or Scion you control deals damage to another player exile the top three cards of his/her library. You may cast those cards for their converted mana cost'

Now it includes RotE and BfZ Eldrazi tokens.
>>
>>44389010

Note that these all stack if you pay for multiples, if the black kicker is too much you could probably balance it as just B for one card with the assumption that people would mainly use it in combination with one of the other two to recycle the sacrifice. This is a pretty cool adversary design, I like how it doesn't require exploit cards (which is good since they barely printed any and it's a singleton format) but still feels mechanically tribal in that tacking additional triggers onto creatures that were already going to exploit something amplifies the efficiency. Quite nifty, I'd play it.
>>
>>44386975
Don't know if someone else has already pointed this out yet, but Thrash's rules text is flawed. It makes reference to sacrificed creatures, but it doesn't actually say when or how your sacrifice them. I'm assuming "sacrifice any number of creatures" is also suppose to be part of the ability's cost.
>>
>>44389458
Yeah, someone pointed that out. It was fixed in time for the update.
>>
>>44389420
'You may cast those cards for as long as they remain exiled and may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to do so' is sufficient formatting wise and makes sure theres no confusion about if a card gets processed by something if you can cast it. Also, without the second clause you wouldnt be able to generate the right colors of mana being in colorless.

Id also maybe limit to combat damage because Im sure theres some infinite non combat damage trick you could do to process someone out.

Speaking of, Id make it put any cast cards back into the owners grave because being able to cast the exiled cards as many times as you have mana for would be very powerful, especially if you hit a counter or kill spell or the like.

That said, I like the idea of actually making ingest fucking useful instead of the pitiful thing it currently is. Id probably toy around with the guy.
>>
>>44389433
I think youre right, Ill change it to just B and one card for the ability.

And I really wish Exploit had more done with it, I hope it comes back too. It was such a neat ability that fit in so well with what I liked to do.
>>
>>44386447
>>44386507
>>44387614
I don't think this card is too similar to Tulaway. Sure, they have the same 'trigger' but there is where the similarities end.

Unfortunately that anon is right, 5 cards and playing with the top revealed is worse than just playing normally. Plus, you should get some other kind of perk or condition to make it more fun and represent the Black side better. That's why I've come up with my own version.

>Morrow, Lich Seer (X)

>Adversary – U/B

>Play with the top card of your library revealed.

>As long as the top card of your library is an instant, enchantment or a sorcery card, you may play the top card of your library. If it is a creature card, discard cards from the top of your library until a card of any other type is revealed.

>15/8

This version of the Adversary should allow you to play more aggressively and make use of Black's graveyard interaction more proficiently (shame no Green) albeit only if you build around it, which keeps it balanced.

It also has a sick name as an added bonus.
>>
Azchiti is a fucking mess but really fun to play, green removal is really fun.
>>
>>44386606
Really costly, even for lvl1. Specially that second ability. Let me propose something...

>{T}, Pay 5 life: Choose one --

>- Target creature gains protection from all colors until end of turn.
>- Prevent all damage that would be dealt from all sources this turn.

>{25/5}

Now, this would most likely be a lvl2, but its better to have a decent lvl2 than an unplayable lvl1.
>>
>>44386679
Hhhehhehehehhehe.

Not a letter needs to be changed. Still, up it to lvl3 maybe. The ability is entirely luck based, but I can see it being easily abused.
>>
File: vanguard.jpg (34 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
vanguard.jpg
34 KB, 312x445
>>44383481
I... don't get it.

You took Vanguard, added a color restriction for no real reason, and then did the level system.

Vanguard is already niche as hell. It's hard to find a game as it is. You're not only fighting their player base for games, but with your level system, your separating and dividing your own players within your own format! It's going to be impossible to find a game for this in like a week.
>>
>>44389809
>added a color restriction for no real reason
Color restriction is actually very important to this format. This becomes pretty clear when you start building your first few Adversary decks.
>You're not only fighting their player base for games
Not at all. If I knew people who played official Vanguard, I'd be playing that at the same time. There's nothing stopping people from playing both.
>but with your level system, your separating and dividing your own players within your own format!
That would be the case if players were restricted to playing Adversaries of a single level. Every current Adversary player has multiple decks for multiple levels, and we tend to have fairly enjoyable matches even when there's a level discrepancy.
>>
>>44389754
In the context of Fina and Runna, I think it's more than playable.

There's a lot of much stronger Level 1s, though, and Hawk's said that's fine. I wanted to make something on the level of Fina and Runna, because that's where I think Level 1 belongs anyhow.
>>
>>44387094
I can see this working as it is, maybe remove the Red from the color identity. There's not much red about that card.
>>
>>44387385
I'd comment, but I'm not familiar with the Vanishing mechanic. Maybe explain how the card is supposed to work?
>>
>>44389869
>Color restriction is actually very important to this format.
That's never been true for any format that uses it. It's a pointless rule in EDH and it will be a pointless rule here.

I'm willing to be money that the only reason it's being used here is because the person who came up with the format is an EDH player.
>>
>>44387440
Does this include token creatures?, Anyways, I like it. It requires more support than Calico, but it seems like it could be pretty powerful if you build around it.
>>
>>44389935
The color restriction does a lot, though. It's a singleton format in the Modern card pool. It's a huge restriction. Whether or not it improves the format, I don't know, but it does force you to make sacrifices when deckbuilding.
>>
>>44389935
We're talking about a format where cards are organized into power levels according to the strength of their abilities, which then informs players which Adversaries are capable of fair or close-to-fair matches against eachother. The color identity is extremely important in gauging a fitting level for each Adversary. If Fina could use any colors, her power level would be all over the place and it would be impossible to attach a number to it with any confidence. It can also be used to balance Adversaries for specific levels, which you would notice if you were participating in these threads.

I suspect you just really dislike EDH and saw an excuse to complain about it.
>>
>>44389935
As someone who has never played EDH/Commander, it still affects me a lot, and restricts the hell out of the combos I want to pull off.
>>
>>44389059
We figured it should be not included regardless. Goes infinite if you can turn (infinite) colourless mana into blue and/or black mana. The issue is the shear volume of cards it would then be able to go infinite with. Any affinity for artifacts creature, for instance, along with anything that generates mana upon etb or death. Im not inclined to fight for it if Hawk thinks its too borked.
>>44389891
Red is being removed. Prospective level? Anyone like?
>>44386670
>>
On the topic of power levels, you might want to edit the templating such that the level is on the top left corner of the card rather than the right. It is confusing for new players since it looks identical to a mana cost, but isn't. That and while agree with the importance of power levels, I don't think they should be on the cards themselves. Just my 2 cents.
>>
>>44389869
The level rule is dumb as hell. You're fracturing your own playerbase for no reason.

Because, all the level rule boils down to is you saying
>i can balance cards worth a shit, deal with it

If these cards were properly balanced verses each other, there would be no levels to start with. And then there would be more games to join. Everyone wins.
>>
>>44390222
It's nice to play games at different power levels, though. As people who do so.
>>
>>44390222
Again, it's not 'fracturing' anything.
There are five active Adversary players.
To my knowledge, every single one of them has faced every single other player. That is the exact opposite of 'fractured'.

If you're going to attempt to argue something, try not to just repeat your original statement over and over.
>>
>>44388712
Honestly, I don't think this card should use Phyrexian mana. Simply because it ain't a Phyrexian card. I'd also change the art to depict a living necromancer (he's an aspiring Lich, not one just yet) and add Green to the color identity to signify that. Also that second ability is a little too cheap.

Maybe adding the keyword Exploit somewhere like in >>44389010 would be neat. I can really imagine a lich apprentice making a lot of sacrifices and the like.

I'm getting tired and dull.
>>
>>44389238
It really is perfect as it is. Only thing left is assign it a level, make the card and add it to the game.
>>
>>44390270
>There are five active Adversary players.
It's more about looking towards the future. If the format somehow got popular, you would have people that only want to play with their special snowflake card and refuse all other games. It happens. And then they'll bitch endlessly when the only game they can join is against someone of higher level and they lose.
>you only won because your guy is more overpowered. this game is bullshit!

I guess it's pointless "what-if" talk, anyways. The game isn't going to catch on. You took an unpopular format (but one of my favorites), and then heaped one metric ton of stupid rules on top of it. I just don't understand why.
>>
>>44390365
>you would have people that only want to play with their special snowflake card and refuse all other games.
Even if that happened with any of the current Adversaries, all five of us would most likely be able to play with that person. We have tons of decks and are making new ones every day.

I understand that you have some concerns, but it seems like a lot of them would be cleared up if you gave the format a try. And that's not just me shilling - you can see that all the other active players are basically saying the same things as me, because they have hands-on experience.
I'll give you a few of my decks, if you like. If you like Vanguard, there's a fairly strong chance you'll enjoy Adversary.
>>
>>44390365
I tend to player lower level adversaries, honestly, I have yet to build one that goes past level 3.
>>
Just a couple stupid questions before I pick a dude and start building since I am new to these threads.
Do adversaries count as permanents?
When you start a match in Cockatrice, which area does the adversary go to?
>>
>>44390440
>but it seems like a lot of them would be cleared up if you gave the format a try
I love Vanguard, but no.
>modern only
>singleton
>color identity
>Cockatrice
These are all sticking points with me. I can't stand EDH because of just two of those rules. I hate Modern and haven't enjoyed a block since Time Spiral. And Cockatrice doesn't have a rules engine and everytime I've tried to play it, the other person either cheats or doesn't know how the game works. I just stick to modded DotP 2014 now.

While that last issue might not be a problem playing with you guys, the first three are the opposite of fun to me.

Best of luck though. Just thought I'd give you some insight as an outsider, even if you chose to ignore it all.
>>
>>44390553
>Do adversaries count as permanents?
They count as permanents so we can tap them and such, but they are exempt from the effects of virtually every card in the game except for Adversaries which specifically target other Adversaries. So no untapping Adversaries with 'untap target permanent' abilities.
>When you start a match in Cockatrice, which area does the adversary go to?
We were putting them in the stack at first, since it seemed like the best substitute for the command zone, but you can't put counters on permanents in the stack, so now they sit in the same zone as planeswalkers.
>>
>>44390588
Alright. Thanks for stopping by.
We didn't really ignore your insight, to be fair. We've addressed all your points.
>>
>>44390612
Are you able to proliferate adversaries?
And thank you for the answers man, going to try and build something now.
>>
>>44390681
>Are you able to proliferate adversaries?
Afraid not. It's safe to assume that Adversaries aren't valid targets for any ability printed on an existing card, since things would just get wacky if they were.
>>
>>44390336
When I first proposed it, Hawk suggested making it a level 1 and I agreed. Phantasmagoria has been changed slightly since then, but I think his overall level probably hasn't changed.

I expect it won't be played for a while though, since it sounds like we're putting a stopper on making new cards for a while to get more games out with the Adversaries we've already made (which is fine by the way, don't misinterpret that as a complaint). I'm not sure how interested other people are going to be in playing with Phantasmagoria anyway, as IMO he's turned out to be a very straightforward Adversary mechanically and strategically speaking, but maybe I'll be surprised.
>>
>>44390304
The artwork wasn't final, just wanted to post something with it honestly.

The Phyrexian mana was there for thematic reasons of him using his lifeforce to fuel it/giving it up for power, stereotypical black mage stuff. If there was something other than Phyrexian mana that could symbolize a 'you can pay mana OR life' I would use that instead.

I'd like to use exploit as I did in the other one but I'm not sure how to implement that into him, especially in a way that isn't too wordy. And, originally, I was tossing around making the second ability a 2B/P B/P but took it down a bit to try and keep it reasonable. I'll look into reworking it though.

As for his color identity, I don't think adding Green would help any thematically. There is a bit of the 'life and death' feel but I think it's weighted enough towards death to keep him mono B. I would actually love it if I could make him WB because then I could take my existing WB humans deck and just kinda transpose it into singleton
>>
>>44389101
Back from work so I'm going to try and find some pictures and maybe think up some names for the ones I got so far and double check on their abilities. I can throw them up immediately or wait until you're going to be adding stuff.

Also, if you would be so kind as to add DestructiveDeus to your players list so that I can start trying to get games going.
>>
>>44385176
I'm gonna focus on Maha-Kalpa and Lich Lord Morghul then, since you said you'd be accepting two Adversaries from each anon. Besides, Kthurak came out really bad.

>>44389328
For Maha-Kalpa, the problem with not affecting your opponents is that once you take off it's almost impossible to remove your creatures from the game. Giving your opponents the same benefit is the best way of making all matchups fair even when your opponent is not-White.

I'm gonna take a look at Morghul.

>>44389397
>>44389420
I actually like this rework. I'd prefer dropping Kthurak down in favor of recycling its mechanics, but if other anons want to I'm fine if you use them.

>>44389566
The cards already go from exile into their owner's graveyard, I'm almost sure that's how Magic rules already work.
>>
>>44391266
I am not a fan of interacting with exiled cards. But perhaps I am just an old fogey.
>>
>>44391364
But it's self-contained in one card, whether it'll be Kthurak or another card.
>>
>>44391195
Added. I'll be online for a few more hours, so we can play a match or two when you get on Cockatrice. Spike and Akuma might be online too.
>>
>>44389566
>You may cast those cards for as long as they remain exiled
Fine, you can word it as you wish, although I think that its unnecessary, cards casted in exile going to the graveyard and nothing allowing to cast them from there.

>may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to do so
This part is overly wordy without need. Casting them for their converted mana cost (CMC) already allows for this and is something Magic players are more accustomed to.

Casting something for its CMC means being able to pay it with any mana. To pay it you just gotta treat any colored mana as an additional (1). For example, say you have a card that costs (3)(G)(B). Its CMC would be (5). See how this is simpler?
>>
>>44392315
I searched Gatherer and I couldn't find a single example of the wording you're suggesting. The closest I could find is Kaho, Minamo Historian, and it reads: "X, T: You may cast a card with converted mana cost X exiled with Kaho without paying its mana cost."
>>
>>44390365
You need not understand.
>>
>>44391003
He'll get use for sure. Being able to spawn strong creatures with haste and drawing effect will be a hit with low level aggro decks.
>>
>>44392564
The tokens don't have haste.
>>
>>44391128
I'd recommend you simply pay those costs with 'Pay 1 life / x lives' or 'Sacrifice a creature / x creatures', I understand where you are coming from, but really, linking the card to something it ought not to have a connection to just makes for a conceptual mess. You are free to do as you see, but I really don't think its a good idea, design-wise speaking. Mechanically is fine, I'll admit.
>>
File: 45.jpg (70 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
45.jpg
70 KB, 312x445
>>44392315
This anon >>44392446 is right. There are no cards with that wording that currently exist. They all either say "you may play those cards" or "you may play those cards without paying theire mana costs." Look up Daxos of Meletis for the sort of wording you want and combine it with pic related.

As for the other part, look to pic related. Having the clause of 'as long as the remain exiled' is important if only so that you know it's no an Act on Impulse style effect.
>>
>>44391266
See, you really aren't doing your opponent any favor by forcing him to play by your rules. They probably already have a solid game plan that may or may not include certain interactions that could be completely thrown off by Maha-Kalpa's effect. What would happen in a Maha-Kalpa vs Calico scenario?, It'd be virtually impossible for the Calico user to ever win. That's why Maha-Kalpa's effect is better off affecting only his user. If you are worried about balance simply have casting cards from your graveyard cost (1) or (2) more. That should do it.

Also regarding Kthurak, I really like the rework. Honestly if you dropped it I'd start proposing it in your stead.
>>
>>44392591
Well give it to 'em. It is only a moderate boost and fits the red side of the Adversary. Really, haste would secure at least one chance to attack, which is only fair imo.
>>
>>44392727
For now I got the second ability sitting at BB, 2 life because I'm thinking that the Human restriction shouldn't make it OP (also starting with 16 life). The first one maybe I'll just get rid of the Phyrexian mana, I don't know yet.

I don't want it to be 2 life and sac cause without a mana cost things can get out of hand but 1, 2 life, and sac seems too restrictive because of the life requirement. Maybe just 1B sac will work well enough.
>>
>>44391703
I still gotta make a deck or two so I'll likely have to skip out today.
>>
>>44392446
>>44392859
Well I'm stumped. Converted Mana costs come up in plenty of my physical cards. Of course, those are in Spanish. Maybe I translated it wrong.
>>
>>44392922
I could, but I'd like to hear what Hawk thinks of that idea first since he already requested the tokens to be weakened in order for Phantasmagoria to fit as a level 1 Adversary.
>>
>>44392991
That is possible. There are a lot of cards in english that mention CMCs but unfortunately its never on cards with these abilities. It's on stuff like Abrupt Decay, Ad Nauseum, Dark Confidant, etc.
>>
>>44392990
Oh, alright.
thank god i'm just about to fall asleep
>>
>>44393030
G'noight yo.
>>
File: Adversary2.jpg (352 KB, 1875x523) Image search: [Google]
Adversary2.jpg
352 KB, 1875x523
>>44391266
Okay, here is Maha-Kalpa version 2. Shouldn't be too much of a problem now.

Also, I updated Morghul, thought about how many lines there were in the card, then came up with an alternate one. Which one do you prefer?

I realized Kthurak probably doesn't work because, if its color identity is colorless, there's very few noncreature spells it can play, and until the Wastes come out a Kthurak deck can't use basic lands because they have a color identity that isn't colorless (if I'm not mistaken). And the Eldrazi Spawn don't even have power to deal damage on their own.

With that in mind, I made the Blue Adversary on the right. Finally managed to strike the right amount of balance I felt that skill needed. I believe CARDNAME could also be Black, or could work only with instants and sorceries, or only permanents, or have different abilities for instant/sorceries and permanents. Maybe even take inspiration from the single Blue Epic card.

>>44392872
There are Black cards that allow you to play with your opponents' cards, and those are the ones that allow you to spend mana as though it were of any color. But I might as well as take a look on the wording.

>>44392872
Well, I can make an alternate version of Maha-Kalpa under those conditions, as I just did with Morghul. The Cycling effectively increases the cost of the creatures, but cantrip as well. Maybe "(1): Reveal a card from your hand. If it's a creature card, discard it."

And you may propose Kthurak as well. I'll probably support CARDNAME or another Eldrazi Adversary instead of Kthurak, but whatever people find the most fun.
>>
File: Obzedat-Ghost-Council.jpg (90 KB, 960x702) Image search: [Google]
Obzedat-Ghost-Council.jpg
90 KB, 960x702
Vuliev, Orzhov Delegate
WB
Vuliev, Orzhov Delegate does not untap during your untap step.
(1)(b/w)(t) Return target creature from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped, except it's a spirit in addition to it other creature types and it gains "Does not untap during your untap step. If this creature would leave the battlefield untap Vuliev, Orzhov Delegate. Target opponent draws a card, then puts a card from their hand onto the top of their library."

(17/7)
Thoughts? Level? Kind of want to make him Esper or Dimir. His pic would be a crop of one of these guys.
>>
>>44393016
Then why not do it?, I mean it simplifies things. Either way it ends being the same thing, its just a matter of making the card less wordy.

Anyways, have it the way you prefer.
>>
>>44393113
You could potentially make the blue guy UB and make them able to cast Instants, Sorceries, and Creatures from exile but give the creatures the clause of 'haste and sac at end of turn.'

Maybe even WUB and be able to cast artifacts too, but then it's just sort of a weaker Sen Triplets.

I like Kthurak. Something I just thought of though is since he's colorless there's almost nothing that would make Scions/Spawns with him. Quick search on magiccards.info gave me like three total, Spawnsire, Skittering Invastion, and Blight Herder. Might need to make him WUBRG so he can take advantage of all the other things that spawn scions/spawns or give him an ability that makes them.

I personally like Morghul because I like the Lich cards. But something I'm not seeing on here is what happens if you have no cards to discard. We have a replacement effect right now whenever life is lost but nothing happens if you can't discard. I would add in a 'if you can't, you lose the game' clause after his lose life effect. It's obviously implied that that's what happens but just gotta make sure it's known without a doubt.

>>44393188
I'm not entirely sure what's trying to be done with his ability. Why bring back a creature if they can never untap without outside means? They could be used as sac fodder but there's already creatures in color that can be cast from the graveyard that are better suited.

Also, I'm sure it's meant to be an effect of Vuliev but right now the 'Target opponent draws a card, then puts a card from their hand onto the top of their library' is on the returned creature. Unless it's meant to be an ETB in which cause it should say so.

As is, I'm not terribly enamored with him and usually I'm a huge fan of reanimation.
>>
>>44393388
Because one is established and it's known exactly what it means, the other has never been used in this context and could be confused without reminder text. Honestly, when I first read it I assumed that you would have to pay the correct color as well and there's people much stupider than me who will end up reading it.

That's the main thing to remember, is that while it needs to not be too wordy it also needs to be spelled out as if you're talking to a small child because sometimes people skim over a card, misread it, or just aren't very smart. Also because any vagueness is bad.
>>
>>44393388
Because it matters. To begin with, CMC is just a number. The CMC of Ornithoptee is 0. The mana cost of Ornithopter, however, is {0}. You can pay {0}. You can't pay 0.

Also, colour does matter. Example: Painful Truths.
>>
File: Undying by Ilja Hubalek.jpg (25 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Undying by Ilja Hubalek.jpg
25 KB, 600x400
The Nameless King
WB

You can't gain life.

Whenever you're dealt damage you may prevent that damage by discarding a card or sacrificing a permanent for each 1 damage dealt to you.

Pay 1 life: Draw a Card

10/7

I'm not 100% set on his card draw ability. I was originally at 2 life per card and then changed it to an extra draw at the draw step and I have it as is for now.

And I know his color identity would probably fit better as UB but having access to blue for all that extra card draw seems very powerful when cards in hard are literally a separate life total. I'm still not sure if he should be WB or just B though, or even UB if others think that wouldn't be too powerful.
>>
>>44393635
The draw effect is supposed to be a negative incentive to running him as part of an infinite sac engine. That could be remedied, the card already has too much text so it could just be removed.

Why tapped? To prevent it from being used to spam eldrazi/blightsteel. Passive and (nontap) activated abilities also function, which is a bonus. He isn't supposed to have a very high power level.

Another based on the same kind of idea, but from the other side.

Emil, Royal Steward
RBU

Emil, Royal Steward begins the game with one bribe counter. Creatures with a bribe counter on them cannot attack.
(t), remove one bribe counter from Emil, Royal Steward. Search your library for a creature card and put it onto the battlefield with a bribe counter on it.
(b), sacrifice a creature. Add (3) to your mana pool. If this ability has been activated four or more times this turn place a bribe counter on Emil Royal Steward.
>>
Prince Zael definitive edition:

>Prince Zael, Saint of Blades

>Adversary – (W)(R)

>You may attach equipment to creatures without paying their equip cost.
>Each creature you control obtains +X/0 where X is the number of equipment cards attached to it.

>{17}{8}
>>
>>44394271
Forgot.

"This creature cannot attack and gains indestructible and hexproof."

16/6
>>
File: Sutthiwat Dechakamphu.jpg (228 KB, 726x1024) Image search: [Google]
Sutthiwat Dechakamphu.jpg
228 KB, 726x1024
First ever try at this.

Inan, the Cruel Martyr [2]
Adversary - [U][B][R]
[1][B], Discard three cards: Search your library for a card and exile it. Until end of turn, you may cast that card as though it had flash. Activate this ability only once each turn.
13/9

Artist is in the filename.
>>
>>44394271
>To prevent it from being used to spam eldrazi/blightsteel
But all titans and Blightsteel can't be in the graveyard? Though it is still good to try and not make a Legacy lite reanimator deck I suppose. Could always do the 'lose life equal to it's CMC and target opponent draws a card.' Then the creature can be used as normal but people would be hit hard for trying to bring in something huge.

Since Buried Alive and, more importantly, Entomb aren't legal in this I think you can get away having them enter untapped as you would need to either play the creature and then sac them or have a discard thing going to reliably get creatures into the grave.

Alternatively, have it be:
1B/W T: Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield except it's a spirit in addition to it other creature types and gains 'Sacrifice this creature, discard a card: it's owner draws cards equal to the sacrificed creature's power. Only an opponent can activate this ability and only during any player's main phase.' Target opponent draws a card.

Then that kinda fits in with the delegation idea of him, allows you to reanimate things, and gives your opponents an out in case you reanimate something extremely scary while, hopefully, still being deterring enough that they don't do it for every creature you reanimate.
>>
>>44394271
It's an interesting idea, my only gripe is that it would likely be used as a combo deck enabler. I think giving the tutored creatures indestructible AND hexproof is a bit much (also neither of these are really very R, B, or U with the exception of U and Hexproof). Even one of those can be annoying to deal with, both makes them almost impossible to get rid of outside of silver bullet style stuff that people pack just for you.

I'd maybe make the bribery counters work more like they do with Gwafa Hazid, ie, they can't block either. Being able to get out an indestructible and/or hexproof block every turn is pretty huge.

Lastly, the second ability can more or less read 'BBBB, sac 4 creatures: Play a titan/colossus/other huge threat.'

As is, I'd easily class him at like lvl 4.

>>44394476
I think his ability cost is pretty steep honestly, at least for what it does. I'd try maybe:
1UR, discard two cards, T: Search your library for a card and exile it. Until end of turn you may cast that card as though it had flash. If the exiled card was an instant or sorcery you may copy it and choose new targets for the copy.

Honestly, other than the Cruel in his name there's not much Black about him. Like it though.
>>
>>44394684
Remove the hexproof then? I like the indestructable thematically. I agree, no block should be added. Hopefully it will make those huge threats less threatening.

>Lastly, the second ability can more or less read 'BBBB, sac 4 creatures: Play a titan/colossus/other huge threat.'

This was intentional. It could be changed to require more B or more creatures, 4 was just a guesstimate.
>>
>>44394684
>1UR, discard two cards, T: Search your library for a card and exile it. Until end of turn you may cast that card as though it had flash. If the exiled card was an instant or sorcery you may copy it and choose new targets for the copy.

Would that still be level 2 material? My intent was to make a low level one to start with.
>>
>>44394818
Indestructible and unable to attack or block should be pretty good. It will still be pretty brutal for ETBs but if you're going for a higher level guy then that's probably fine.

I'd maybe make the second ability only give you 2 and limit it to 4 uses. Then it effectively doubles a few swamps, can still be used to cast fatties, but isn't as immediately abusable as before. This way way it's like a psuedo Ashnod's Altar. Or, limit it to 3 uses but keep the 3 mana it gives you. Either way, it requires a couple more turns minimum before being able to use it to drop Titans and the like but is still pretty powerful.

I know if I ran this deck it would probably be Apostles, Titans, and Swamps. As he was that would've pretty reliably allowed a T4 Titan/Blightsteel assuming you had the Titan in hand and used no mana ramp.
>>
Renais, Unlikely Conquerer (1)
Adversary - (WUBRG)
You cannot gain life.
If a source an opponent controls would deal less than 5 damage to you, prevent that damage.
1/9

Khan, Solemn Immortal (2)
Adversary - (WUBRG)
Creatures you control with no abilities get +2/+2.
30/7

Virgil, Fablechild (3)
Adversary - (WUBRG)
{T}: Search your library for a legendary card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
20/4

Pim, Meddling Goddess (4)
Adversary - (WUBRG)
Before the game begins, roll a fifty-sided die and gain life equal to the result.
Whenever a creature attacks, roll a die with X sides, where X is that creature's power. That creature assigns combat damage equal to the result of this dice roll until the end of this turn.
0/7

Xalt, World's End (5)
Adversary - (WUBRG)
Whenever a creature you control is sacrificed, you may put a doomsday counter on Xalt, World's End.
Remove twenty doomsday counters from Xalt, World's End: Put a legendary 50/50 Destroyer creature token on the battlefield. It has protection from everything and "You can't lose the game."
40/5

>Thoughts?
>>
>>44394844
I had to double check the level definitions.
>Level 2: Provide a noticeable advantage, while still being fair.
Under that criteria I'd say so. You still have to pay the exiled cards cost and while the copying effect is powerful I think the cost of it is offset well enough. Unfortunately until he's tested, we'll never know. If you want to make sure though I'd maybe reset his handsize to 7.
>>
>>44394286
Alright, this is my last attempt to balance this thing. If it doesn't fly I'll drop the concept entirely.

>Newborn, Young God (5)

>Adversary – WUBRG

>Creatures you control have protection against the colors of the permanents you control.

>"Praise Him, for his birth marks the dawn of a new age" – some chucklefuck.

>{5}{10}
>>
>>44386447
I like this one for level 2 if it's 20 Life, 7 cards, like Tulaway
>>
figured I'd might as well throw up a trip since I've been talking so much
>>44395050
>Renais
I like it, though I'd probably change it to 'If a source an opponent controls would cause you to lose less than 5 life, prevent that loss of life' because as is it makes you immune to Exsanguinate and Blood Artist type effects (which may have been intended) but seems strong for a lvl 1.

>Khan
I like it, bears.dec seems fun. Maybe add in that you can't have any creatures with abilities but that could be too restricting.

>Virgil
Captain Sisay on a stick seems good, potentially a bit weak for a 3 as most Legendary creatures are cmc 3/4 or greater and seems slow but I could easily be wrong.

>Pim
I chuckled. I would definitely try her out. She seems hard to class for level though since how well she does is entirely up to random chance. You could easily roll sub 20 health fairly regularly and not be able to block much damage or you could do the opposite.

>Xalt
I creamed myself. Admittedly, I don't know that he deserves to be a 5 as (at least as far as I know but I don't play modern) there aren't any infinite sac shenanigans in Modern that don't require fuck tons of mana or a few turns to set up (Gravecrawler + Grim Grin + Rooftop Storm comes to mind but that's 12 mana). Twenty seems like quite a lot. Also, as soon as he's dropped out everyone knows the game plan and (hopefully) could disrupt easily.

If you wanted to maybe tone him down some add a clause where an opponent can pay 2 mana to remove a counter or something or sac a creature to remove a counter. I think he could easily be made into a 3/4.
>>
Can an Adversary be tapped first turn, or does he have summoning sickness?
>>
>>44395391
Adversaries can be tapped on the first turn.
But if it makes sense for an Adversary to be unable to tap on the first turn, either for balance or another reason entirely, there are ways to replicate the effect of summoning sickness.
For example, changing the '(T):' to 'Remove a blabla counter:', and having the Adversary gain one blabla counter at the beginning of their end step.
>>
File: 20.jpg (58 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
20.jpg
58 KB, 312x445
>>44395173
Doesn't seem bad. Encourages you to go 5 color, which can be very hard, and gives a good effect for it. My only worry is that dropping any of the 5 color permanents makes your board pretty much impossible to interact with, but as a level 4/5 I suppose that's kinda the point.

I think it's pretty good, it has a powerful effect that's hindered by the fact that 5 color decks can fuck you on getting the right colors/have expensive as shit landbases. I'd mabe turn up the life to 10 though, at 5 I think you'd get pretty reliably aggroed out every game.

>>44394286
Didn't see this one. I think it's pretty balanced, my only gripe is a formatting one. Pic related. Maybe have the metalcraft as well, otherwise people could potentially cheat out expensive equipment and wreck face (such as Argentum Armor).
>>
I'm trying to make a balanced level 2 Adversary that uses B, U and G, since they're my favorite.

Not considering hand size/HP yet, is this already too strong from a utility angle?

{U}, {T} : Untap target creature.
{G}. {T} : Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.
{B}. {T}. Sacrifice a creature : Draw a card.

I was basing the power-level off of someone else's card that is already included, Grahv, the Stonefist, who has 22 HP, 7 cards to start, is a tri-color adversary, and has no downside, only utility options. Grahv has 4 options, mine only has three.
>>
>>44395724
Grahv has always seemed unbalanced to me. Grahv has *more* HP than a normal player, zero drawbacks, a built-in sac engine, and three options to pick from that only cost one and a tap.
>>
>>44395724
Since you can only use one a turn it doesn't seem too powerful to me. Personally, I'd even say that the G one isn't powerful enough. Maybe have it give +2/+2 or something? Kinda depends on what you want to go for. I suppose.
>>
>>44395855
The G one is synergy with the B one though. Like you do G at the end of your opponents turn, and then can B on your turn after the untap for a handy little draw engine.
>>
>>44394997
I literally was trying to design a "strap ashnods to a creature, with tutor" card. Guess I succeeded?

Emil, Royal Steward
RBU

Emil, Royal Steward begins the game with one bribery counter. Creatures with a bribery counter on them cannot attack or block.
(t), remove one bribery counter from Emil, Royal Steward. Search your library for a creature card and put it onto the battlefield with a bribery counter on it.
(b), sacrifice a creature. Add (2) to your mana pool. If this ability has been activated five or more times this turn place a bribery counter on Emil Royal Steward.
>>
>>44395942
Oops. Change to
GUB
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.