[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worldbuilding thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 31
File: 3645.jpg (89 KB, 600x790) Image search: [Google]
3645.jpg
89 KB, 600x790
We should make an OP Pasta edition

Tells us all of your setting, then reply to others. Discuss cliches, common tropes(or whatever you call 'em) and interesting and/or unique situations and themes in your settings or settings you're a fan of.

This is a place where one can discuss a setting for not only RPGs but /tg/-related fiction also, by it written by yourself or by an author you feel doesn't get the spotlight as much as he should.

To provide the thread with inciting material, I'll post an idea I had after watching Macross and a few alien invasion movies, all after discovering Mechwarrior Online.

>Across the Earth mankind teeters on the precipice of self-annihilation. The Final World War consumes every continent and great warmachines stride through the irradiated ruins of cities, laying waste to what remains of rival nations. As more men and women die in the raging hells of war everyday, mankind’s numbers shrink ever further; where once nine billion people inhabited the earth, only six hundred million survive, divided into petty factional nations, to endure the ash covered wastes.

>In the remains of North America’s western coast, the Northern Coalition(canadian empire), struggle to hold back the devastating assault of the Nipponese Empire.

>But today will be a day like no other, where mankind will look up from their bloodshed to the stars once again, and realize…

>We are not alone.

1/2
>>
The basic idea is that for act I of the story, it'll establish just how much of a shithole earth has become. It's basically pic related, giant robot and all. at the end of act I aliens come to try and bring peace through superior firepower(ie, they try to disable the military of the world). But act II has former foes form bitter alliances to combat this existentially terrifying foe. The aliens are getting annoyed, but push on in trying to do minimum damage. end of act II has half the aliens going rogue from command because they have orders to completely obliterate humanity if we cant be talked out of killing each other(even though by now we've mended some of our hatred with each other thanks to this new threat)in order to make sure no warmongers get off planet(which we are close to doing)Act III is humanity uniting with the rogue aliens who help them fend off the rest of the fleet. After this war, humanity has to move on from earth because earth has been past its prime for a good hundred years by now. So mankind develops The Migrant Fleet, where the remaining humans board around two hundred starships and sail into the larger galaxy, not sure what is to become of them, but they are glad to finally be at peace again.

Yes? No? Maybe so? Gay-tarded?

Let the discussion begin!
>>
Are the aliens hot?
>>
So in a low fantasy setting, I want to make a country economically powerful, but militarily isolated. What achieves this better, large mountain range, or being an island nation?
>>
>>44383368
Mountain range. Island is too limited in resources to be economically successful AND isolated
>>
>>44383361
This must be answered.
>>
>>44383368
In my setting I opted for mountain range because the logistics of it is easier. This also gives me the option to do attrition warfare against a numerically superior opponent and not have to resort to too much bullshitting of how a startup nation is able to withstand an empire's might.
>>
File: sexy space elf girl.jpg (558 KB, 776x1200) Image search: [Google]
sexy space elf girl.jpg
558 KB, 776x1200
>>44383361
>>44383449
Yes. I was thinking space elves our size or space elves twice our size. Probably the former as I'm hoping this'll pan out into a anthology(Where I can include giant waifus later on).

>>44383368
what do you mean by militarily isolated? Like, "Invading Russia in the Winter" kind of isolated? If so, I'd go with island.

Island nations, especially ones conveniently situated in between many nations are a dream for merchant nations. And, it is pretty fucking difficult to invade an island.
>>
>>44383572
>space elves
I had my hopes up
>>
>>44383595
Did I live up to expectations...?

>>44383409
Depends on the size of the island and where it is situated.
>>
>>44383509
>>44383409
That was my initial thought too, with a mountain range to the north there's potential to mine ores and attrition against larger armies. With the south having forest and marshland making troop movement difficult for invaders.

>>44383572
Militarily isolated as in, large, conquering armies will likely find it impossible to move normally in this region.

On the flip side, can a region be both poor for farming, but rich in other natural resources, mineral resources? Opposite of the above country, I wanted to make a warrior country that lives in a hospitable region. With ores going to making equipment so they can conquer their neighbors, specifically their farmable land which the invading country lacks a sufficient amount of.
>>
>>44383690
>On the flip side, can a region be both poor for farming, but rich in other natural resources, mineral resources? Opposite of the above country, I wanted to make a warrior country that lives in a hospitable region. With ores going to making equipment so they can conquer their neighbors, specifically their farmable land which the invading country lacks a sufficient amount of.

If it's good enough for the vikings is good enough for you.
>>
So I am working on a sci-fi setting set on a megacity human colony that loses contact with the rest of humanity and descends into chaos, leading to gang warfare over the city. The idea is gangs convert construction robots into war mechs and each gang is centered around a mech and some gang members supporting it.

I've got the rich district is the only thing left in control by the government, as the remains of the military and police force consolidated to protect the upper class, leaving the rest of the megacity to fend for itself.

I'm making gang style affiliations, you have the regular gangs, pretty average all around; the Scrappers, junkyard psychos that are heavy into makeshift cybernetics; the Colonial Defense Force, elite teams that use the best armor and guns; and religious Doomsday cults.

Two questions I'm tossing around right now is how long after contact with the rest of the galaxy would be a good place to set the modern time? I want something with enough distance that its not the immediate chaos of lost contact and things are starting to show their scarcity and wear of time, but not too far into the future. I'm thinking about 100 years would be good.

The second question is I want a gang affiliation that has gone "native" and instead of mechs, they use local megafauna. Should I go with humans that have gone crazy and live in the wilds, or a native primitive species that are fighting back during the gang wars?

>>44383368
This >>44383409 Mountains would be best. Islands would need a strong navy to survive, and that means not very militarily isolated.
>>
File: Wadja map.png (57 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
Wadja map.png
57 KB, 1600x1600
I'm improving my world map and making it bigger, but I'm not sure how good it looks. Any suggestions?
>>
>>44383822
Looks good to me. I'm guessing Wadja is a desert? Would that mean that part of the world is near the equator?
>>
File: Wadja map.png (68 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
Wadja map.png
68 KB, 1600x1600
>>44384155
Yes, that's actually supposed to be the 'north' set of continents. But I'm a little less concerned about those type of details, to be 100% honest, I just want it to look ok.

How about these mountains in the new landmass, family?
>>
>>44384256
A bit odd, considering mountains are made from two tectonic plates smashing into each other.

But, as you said, those details aint important. I'd suggest freeing up some of the coast and reorganizing those mountains to have them jut into the inland(to sort of make walls you gotta go around, yeah?)
>>
General synopsis of the setting is that it's Mad Max: Kentucky Edition, using the Atomic Highway system. Now, before anybody makes any jokes, Kentucky is actually a surprisingly neat place for a post-apocalyptic setting. A list of notable places/groups, whatever.

>A sizable patch of land around a pre-War chemical weapons storage facility that is so saturated with various toxins that nothing, not even bacteria, can survive unprotected.
>A settlement based in Fort Boonesborough that models itself off of Colonial America.
>The Horse-Lords of Lex, a large, tribal society based out of the International Museum of the Horse. Highly-mobile raiders, with heavy Mongol influences.
>Fort Knox and Mammoth Cave are both inhabited.
>A large settlement that operates the oil refinery in Ashland. Economically prosperous, actually have their own (gasoline-backed) currency.
>Galt: A large settlement in Louisville that is ruled out of the Galt House hotel by a man best described as a post-apocalyptic King Louis XV.
>Paducah has become a trading center resembling Venice, complete with flooded, radioactive streets serving as canals.
>A sizable settlement based out of the Corvette manufacturing plant, specializing in mechanics and automobile repairs/modifications.
>A gang of raiders in the ruins of Somerset, occupying the old CRC oil refinery. They call themselves "the Firemen," and dress in discarded firefighter's uniforms, sport ritualistic burn scars, and have a special fondness for incendiary weaponry.
>A floating shanty-town on Lake Cumberland, moored to the (rapidly-decaying) Wolf Creek Dam.
>A settlement in former Hazard County that embraced the Germanic neopaganism of a small minority of its population after the War. Imagine vikings in musclecars. The Jarls of Azard, if you will.
>A settlement of monks and post-apocalyptic knights in the Abbey of Our Lady of Gethsemani.

These are just the high points. There was a lot of neat crap I ended up being able to use.
>>
>>44384597
Oh, man, that sounds awesome. I'd love to read more about it!
>>
>>44384652
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16U5TWRz0T22WojMsAAuitV5RGaRkUduNTEFjRXGpbHI/edit?usp=sharing

I actually had to set up a Google Doc to keep track of all of my shit.
>>
>>44384698
Well, colour me impressed. Would you mind if I ran an Apocalypse World game on your setting? I'd definitely give you credit!
>>
>>44384861
Go right ahead! It was built for Atomic Highway, but most of the terms are fairly self-explanatory, so I don't think you'd have any issues whatsoever using it.

Not going to lie, I'd be hella interested to know how that game goes.
>>
>>44383368
>Militarily isolated
>island
Boats. BOATS. Boats are real easy to build and use, provided time, wood, and manpower.

>>44383409
>>44383572

If the size of the island is going to be big enough to contain it's own economic strength, it'll be approaching Australia (yes Australia is technically an island). Low fantasy, it's fucking easy to invade an island, due to how disproportionate the population would be to the size of the coast perimeter (which is total, since it's a bloody island).
>>
I don't have much, but I'm quite interested in building my own setting, or story universe I suppose, since I'm making so many things up from scratch, it'd take a long time and a lot of homebrew effort to make it a half-decent setting to use, of which I have no experience with. I just want to make a cool world.

I've touched on the basis for a cop-out creation myth which basically consists of a monolithic alpha spirit unconsciously manifesting planets and worlds and skies from the wake of it's own journey through the cosmos not unlike leaving a bacteria filled footprint that thrives and creates the foundation for a pretty impressive piece of mold/yeast in it's own right. Also unconsciously, the way magic is utilized is by directing the essence of the alpha spirit with focus and enunciation, or sometimes runic patterns (You speak the words and think the act, the power of the alpha spirit works its magic, with nobody the wiser).

I wanted to do away with actual 'Gods' in settings and reduced it to simply having megalomaniac entities and sometimes narcissistic ones who insist they are gods, and rarely some delusional ones who believe they are gods, all with varying measures of influence and power. In this manner, I also did away with traditional works of angels and devils and instead made them grotesque forms of blunt physical nature that the human populace sometimes refer to as angels and devils. Demons are spawned in irradiated blood pools on their own hellfire realm and immediately do battle with each other, not for dominance or to kill, but to literally feast upon their life force and grow in size with no limit. Millions upon millions of these demons exist in the hellfire realm eternally fighting each other, with few ever being successful enough to effectively become too strong and large to challenge, who end up leaving the realm through the use of their own power and situate themselves with methods of more sustenance.

Fuck character limits
>>
>>44383766
100 years sounds good. Go with a native species. A native species is more challenging to make interesting and not be "blue human" alien. If you don't think you can make the alien species look and act interesting enough go for human.
>>
>>44385413
Tentatively labelled 'Goliath Demons' who have grown so large and powerful they can more or less act with impunity, some of which set themselves up as Gods and confiscate a realm for their own private use. Some develop interests, hobbies, even emotions beyond survival instincts. Though almost all have enslaved a savage race of being that have come to be called angels. Blind in the earth realm, they never set foot there but for the command of their overlord to achieve some arcane purpose, though no footholds or incursions ever occur, since the Goliath Demons don't really give a shit about lower races or why they would even be something to consider one way or the other. They aren't normally inclined to conquering purely for more underlings. Though, beware if you somehow manage to piss one of them off thoroughly. Beyond the clever but unintelligent savage Angel race, who have no capacity to think about freedom, they also command follower demons, hoping for both protection and to glean their own small sustenance from the enormity of the Goliath Demon operations. Though not in true service, many humanoid cults tend to appear surrounding the worship of various gods as they see them, such as the Thousand Teeth of Meferitaz, one of the oldest Goliath Demons, and the first to successfully claim an entire moon as his own personally realm. (Oh yeah, did I mention realms aren't just fanciful bubbles outside of the material plane, they are in fact a skip across the void to one of the 17 moons orbiting this larger-than-earth planet with many continents). Humans themselves are no small creature to scoff at. Having grown as a culture to hunt dragons every few decades as a kind of ritual the entire populace takes part in, they are rough, assertive, and sure of their destiny as strong fighters and stronger leadership.
>>
>>44383368
an Island nation wouldn't have much need for a standing army, save domestic issues. Boats! Their armada could just be rented merchant ships during times of war
>>
>>44385585
Aptly called, the 'Dragon Chases' are a series of tactical events that take place for an entire year where nearly the entire population takes part in rallying, dispersing to specific areas in the land, and flushing out all dragons currently living in the lowlands to the waiting ballistae emplacements, built and improved each century as the humans get better and more proficient as inventors and war farers. Occurring once every fifty years usually, this practice enlivens the economy with many dragon related products and resources, mostly harvested from bones, scales, leather, blood, internal organs and glands, and even brains for some more occult products. Not without consequence, the act of killing thousands of dragons in short spans has slowly polluted the lowlands, and anybody not careful when carrying out their violence or conflict is warrant to start a Blood Plague, caused when unclean blades or implements introduce pollutants into human blood streams, a disease which quickly wastes away the flesh from the outside in making victims lose all hair, nails, and large quantities of skin until they begin to bleed from their very thin pores. Though not airborne, the disease is incredibly contagious and has created a sense of self-justice and honour within each and every part of the empire. Even murderers despise those who carry out unclean and reckless violence. Whole neighborhoods tend to rise up and quickly lynch anybody found to have started a Blood Plague. Dragons, overgrown lizards as humans jokingly describe, were the first creatures to successfully adapt with the essence of magic attached to all matter, and use it to not only enhance their lives, but become a essence-reliant species, using it in order to fly, to grow bigger, to breathe fire, and, to gain cold intelligence. Originating from a true safe haven among expansive mountain ranges, they regularly expand into the lowlands for more territory when their population grows (and it does so quickly).
>>
>>44385799
Interactions between lower races and dragons are nearly universally one dimensional. The successive aggression towards dragons has bred a fierce savageness to react anytime they meet, usually without hesitance, though young drakes and hatchlings will most certainly attempt to escape. Within the mountain ranges that dragons have resided in for millennia, some castes of generations have lived out their lives with entirely no human interaction, and when encountering one, react with pure curiosity, much like a child quietly pondering a waterfall for the first time. Though rarely lasting longer than it takes to draw a hunting bow, it has led to some quite amusing and sometimes epic stories about less-than-violent companionship that most believe to be entirely fictitious. When wondering why dragons don't simply take off and find new secluded areas to nest in, most learned travelers attribute it to the only other isolated areas being home to the legendary Silver Spiders, creatures never seen and always spoken of softly, usually to frighten small children when they should be asleep. As non-threatening as the name sounds, they are said to be gigantic arachnids who live in large, deep, underground caverns for their lifespan and appear to have pure silver strands of hair covering their bodies and appendages, acting as an apex predator for anything and everything that lives or even enters their caves, including adult dragons. Orc settlements, usually at odds with humans, don't appear to have to same practice or affinity for dragon hunting as them. Instead, they employ a number of their men to actively find and destroy dragon nests as they are made, each year seasonally, never allowing the expansion of their neighbouring dragon breeds. Though scholars claim this isn't so much of a deliberate choice rather than a natural reaction considering orc settlements are much further away from environments attractive to dragons, and never would have any large impacting events.
>>
Well teej, the well's run dry.

I think I'm going to be running 5e, maybe Pathfinder if I have to, but I'm just running on empty for new setting ideas.

What do you guys usually go to for inspiration?
>>
>>44386278
Reading Cracked and doing google searches like "fucked up _______"
>>
>>44385414
I'm thinking of making a species that has some kind of diversity that splits them into small, human-sized creatures and larger, mech-sized ones. I'm still trying to decide if it should be a random genetic mutation, like how the Dire Trolls in Warcraft come about, or sexual dimorphism, either going the lion route, where its a large male and a harem of smaller female hunters, or having the female being the larger creature.
>>
File: Garden fountain nighttime.jpg (180 KB, 1920x1276) Image search: [Google]
Garden fountain nighttime.jpg
180 KB, 1920x1276
>>44386278

New setting ideas come from weird bullshit I see, or distilling a single weird thing from something I've encountered and then making that into an overarching setting.

Other times, they develop from a game system. Pathfinder and 5e are sort of bland in that regard but try something more interesting; maybe a world where elves are the main race and humans are more rare upstarts? Magic user creations run rampant or have destroyed the world somehow? Lots of ways to do this mate.

If you give me some base ideas you want I'd love to help you out, though I know most prefer a one man rodeo.
>>
>>44383260
>should make an OP Pasta edition
No. We don't need a Worldbuilding General.
>>
>>44386654
These threads are pretty consistently up, though. There's also been discussion of including worldbuilding with the homebrew general, but the current trend is making it focus more on the game making part.
>>
>>44388505
These threads used to be up consistently about a year or two ago, then dissappeared almost entirely until recently three weeks ago.
There has been one up almost consistently since then, but the last three were dead 90% of the time, and it seems we are running to the old problem again.

Perhaps the solution would to to keep them weekly, or by-weekly. Or maybe /tg/ has simply stopped being conducive to them all together.
>>
>>44383766
I would go with human if anything because we have new age and hippies on our real world, so you can take them as base to design their philosophy and behavior, and it still sounds credible.

The native alien species sounds like an avatar cliche, which were just native American Indians on space!
>>
>>44383260
>>44383267
>>44383572
pretty gay setting desu senpai, but w/e it's your game.
>>
>>44388562
Honestly, the problems I've seen in the last few threads has been it devolving into map-making threads. Not that I can blame it, this board's format doesn't help with large info posts. We should really promote the use of PDFs and off-site hosting for the big lore bits, and keep in-thread to specific sections.

>>44388661
I'm thinking if I did go native, it'd be like this >>44386564 instead of he Dances With Wolves route.
>>
>>44388758
>Honestly, the problems I've seen in the last few threads has been it devolving into map-making threads.
I don't think that is the problem. The reason why the devolve into mapmaking is because it's frankly the only way to keep the discussion alive. Aside from maps being FAR more comprehesible way of communicating your ideas to others than walls of text, it's because maps are something that basically anyone can comment on. You look at it, you can comment how it looks. It keeps the debate alive.

The old, innate problem of world building threads is that people generally don't give much fuck about ideas of the others. And it's not just because people are selfish assholes - it's because 90% of the time, no matter how great your idea sounds in your head or expanded on in an encyclopedia, if you just pitch it here in a single post, it's not going to be very interesting.

Hell, you you usually need more than one post to even sum the basics of it up, but then the old problem of "can't be bothered to read walls of text" adds to the issue.

I notice this myself, and god knows I try to keep these threads alive as much as I can, and offer any kind of insight or constructive comment I can:
I still find myself desperately struggling to find anything to even add to most of what people present here. And I come here explicitly with the intention to do just that.
Most people I think have the same problem, but they don't even realize they should be commenting on others to begin with.

So map making prevailence is an intuitive way to avoid what effectively equals to awkward pauses in conversations here. It's the "talking about the weather" of world building threads.
>>
File: elves.jpg (39 KB, 720x463) Image search: [Google]
elves.jpg
39 KB, 720x463
How do you justify strange.or mystic names for creatures that don't communicate?
There is a race of eldricht horror elves in my setting,but they cant talk,sometimes act like animals,have their civilisation,albeit primitive. They are asking for a some kind of exotic name,but considering their behaviour there is no reason for normal people to call them like that
>>
>>44388758
>this board's format doesn't help with large info posts
We have pdf uploads enabled, with a 8MB limit you can upload an entire book of yours if you wish

I happily read the Faster Than Dark pdf and it was like a hundred pages
>>
>>44389064
>They are asking for a some kind of exotic name,but considering their behaviour there is no reason for normal people to call them like that
People call things because they need to call them something, not because they communicate with them. There is no reason why a lack of communication skills should in any way affect how they are called by humans.

Names should generally come from some kind of logic or naming conventions in your world, or simply from your own need to communicate shit to your players. If those things are scary and creepy and weird, some kind of scary, creepy, strange or omnious name is appropriate.
>>
File: Forde2.png (2 MB, 1250x976) Image search: [Google]
Forde2.png
2 MB, 1250x976
I know my geography is unrealistic, but does my map look decent enough?
>>
>>44389157
Cthulu,would be called Old God,or Old One or Giant Men Octupus if nobody saw elder text and all that shit.
The only justification I can think of is having some sort of language like Latin and name all things with it,just like in real life
>>
File: Samarra Minaret.jpg (172 KB, 790x774) Image search: [Google]
Samarra Minaret.jpg
172 KB, 790x774
How about this? You've got to post a small snippet of your lore, and then rate someone else's above you. The next guy then rates yours and writes their own lore. We continue. I'll provide an example, but feel free to just start with your own.

>In every old city in the golden south, there squats a low stone tower named galga. In these lie empty black chains. Two thousand years ago, the First Empire kept in them demons as a threat to any would-be rebel cities.
>>
>>44389094
I tend to use them, but more in the homebrew thread. I just haven't been working on anything that needs it lately, though. Been hitting a lot of setting ADD lately.

>>44389290
Yeah, you can handwave it away as the name given to them by an ancestral society.
>>
>>44389281
It looks pretty but it makes any kind of scaling impossible. Seriously - I can't even REMOTELY imagine what scale we are talking here? Tens of meters, hundreds of kilometers - I don't know.
Also, it's actually difficult to judge what is what. Is the blue in the eastern part of the island a province color, is is that an ocean? Are the colors representing cultures, kingdoms, biomes?

While it is genuinely pretty to look at, it's also genuinely difficult to actually read.

>>44389482
I think this is still kinda the problem. Such snippet could be a part of some genuinely great story, but it might as well be the most generic thing ever. I can't tell - I really don't know what to comment on here.
All I from that is that there is the age old "founding emperor" myth at play and that demons are, I guess, a thing.
That is literally something that could be from TES lore, but it also could be the most generic cliché homebrew of all time.

See for yourself:
>The most popular diety among the settled tribes of the Land of the Bull is the two faced Fertility Goddess. Known under many names, and many depictions, she is worshiped as the bringer of life, patron of mothers, embodiment of harvest and childbirth. Often depicted with two faces - one beautiful and smiling and one terrifying and wrathful, she is deemed to be the one that once elevated humans to be equal to gods - and the one who later on, casted them down again in a fit of rage after a human jester/sorcerer offended her with his magical display.
>She is generally deemed capricious, moody, unpredictable, prone to both incredible generosity and sudden cruelty - so much so that in some urbanized societies, her image has been disassociated from agriculture and instead associated with mere chance, luck, and by proxy, hazard.
Now tell me what you can actually comment on that. I don't think it will be much...
>>
Home region for catgirls should be...
Sub-Tropical
Evergreen Forests
Savannah/Scrublands
None because like cats, they're everywhere
>>
>>44389711
Are you the spine mountains guy?

I can comment on a tonne of things. But I get your point that we kind of need context. Perhaps this would be better if we asked questions about small quotes and commented on anything amiss (or cool). This way, that which we find interesting would be posted, instead of wall-of-texts no one cares about.

So, in example--

Why do people have such a changeable view of two-faced Goddess? Is it all down to the myth (whether real or not) that she elevated and brought low humanity? What do the tribesmen think of the urbanite's view of the two-faced goddess?
>>
>>44389482
Human civilazation was founded by cluny monks who formed a new monastary/hospital that were abducted. The people who find themselves in my setting all vary from time-period, culture, and languistic background, so ecclesiastic latin is the go to language, and is what is taught to children born in the hub-city and compliant settlements
>>
>>44390346
Yep.
The reason why such changable views on her exist is simply due to religious diffusion. Her cult was brought into the cities with tribesmen who found a new life in the cities, and who brought their own religion with them. But her major role - her role in the agrarian calendar cycle and basically all rituals that were associated with her actually had little practical use to them. Still... it's not easy to forget a god your ancestors are worshiping for centuries... so the accent on her attributes changed. But yeah, the unpredictability stems from the myth - though the urbanites will understand and interpret the myth very differently.
In the cities, the story is basically a story about blind luck. To the agrarians, it's a story about man's hubris and following punishment.

Her cult eventually merged with a local cult of a trickster diety (as they both shared the important trait of unpredictability).

As for what the tribesmen think of the urbanites... nothing, really. They mostly don't know, and those who know would probably don't consider her two images to be of the same goddess, even though they are similar and historically related.
Tribesmen and commoners are generally not really offended by religious beliefs in this particular settings. There is only one religion that is comparably as exclusive and antagonizing to others as the religions of the book are, and predictably, it's followers don't mingle with the rest of the crowd.
>>
I heavily dislike single pantheons across the world, or "true pantheons". Having legends are fine if they're just legends.
>>
File: TheWest.png (4 MB, 2125x2750) Image search: [Google]
TheWest.png
4 MB, 2125x2750
Rate my west north america /tg/
>>
File: Ernalda.jpg (17 KB, 215x277) Image search: [Google]
Ernalda.jpg
17 KB, 215x277
>>44390609
Why did the Cluny monks have to set up civilisation? And is this why ecclesiastic Latin is the go-to language?
>>44390690
How did the original myth come about? Is it real? Does it explain something that's real?

It's cool how there are different views on the same divine figure, and how those views came to be. Are any recent events thought to be the goddess' direct intervention?

Also guys, remember to ask your own questions if you can.
>>
File: 1437396866387.jpg (110 KB, 735x900) Image search: [Google]
1437396866387.jpg
110 KB, 735x900
>>44390825
Did you draw that by hand?
Look very good. The paper shade and color scheme is very murky though, makes it hard to read.

>>44390782
This >>44390690, >>44389711 guy here:
I COULD NOT AGREE MORE. Religion basically becomes boring to me (if not nonsensical) when you actually make gods real, physical beings actively participating on the world.
The thing that makes religion interesting to me is how people interpret the world, and how they project gods into it.
When the gods are just there, the whole point get's lost, it becomes and exercise in the motions.
>>
>>44390886
I've always thought the way in which people adapt ideologies along with their religions was the most interesting part of all. Like, I have a religion that's become progressively more and more Humanity Fuck Yeah! as the cities that worship it become less and less powerful. They grasp at their perceived roots and superiority in order to make up for their now vestigial nature. Or another religion, which used to be all about doing glorious deeds for yourself and your brothers. Well, some of the raiding nomads that worshipped it ended up settling down in their conquered lands and infusing with the local culture. It changed into a blend of their religion and the old religion, one that placed heavy emphasis on long, complicated and above all expensive ritual. This cemented the new aristocratic conqueror's place at the top of society.
>>
File: 1437396404801.jpg (533 KB, 1002x1600) Image search: [Google]
1437396404801.jpg
533 KB, 1002x1600
>>44390880
>How did the original myth come about? Is it real? Does it explain something that's real?
As all myths - it speaks about something that is real, but it does not speak about it literally.
There is a historical reason for the idea that humanity has somehow "fallen". It's even relatively recent. The myth reflects these historical events, but translates them to a different language. The goddess isn't real in the physical sense though. The myth speaks about punishment from the gods, while the historical causality was much more profane. But profane things don't make for as powerful stories than divine things...
I haven't thought about recent events and it's reinterpretation from this particular cult's standpoint, but it's an interesting thing to look into. The way things are now, some dramatic "recent" events shook up most of the older religions, but it generally ended up in people either refusing to acknowledge them, or eventually accepting some entirely new emergent religions.

>>44390609
I would actually like to know what is exactly the story behind abducting, and the process of people getting from one world to another.
For some reason I'm slightly reminded of Haibane Renmei, which is one of the most interesting cases of world building (mired in mostly weak anime stuff) I've come across recently.

>>44390947
We would probably see eye to eye on this subject. I've dedicated perhaps most of my time figuring out how cultures and with them religions overlap, infuse with each other, how some events give birth to new myths, or how a single myth can be interpreted in sometimes flat out contradictory ways.

The cult that gave name to my settings, the Cult of the Bull, for an example, has about seven different interpretation of the same mythological act (sacrifice of a bull), some of which lead to perfectly antagonistic interpretations of the world itself.
>>
>>44383766
Or just human society breaking apart and forming warring tribes who knows very little about their past. Also tribals riding robo-dinosaurs.
>>
File: Mommer detail.png (867 KB, 1536x1536) Image search: [Google]
Mommer detail.png
867 KB, 1536x1536
Thoughts on my continent?
>>
What would be the best way to approach a setting without humans?
>>
>>44392716
I'd say: Don't.

>>44392640
There is something seriously odd about the proportions and shapes there. It looks good - visually speaking, but then I look at the scale and it just feels... off. The shape and the proportions would be fitting for an island up to some 1000k in diameter, but as a continent... it looks really weird. Part of it is also that your largest lake is about six or seven times larger than the worlds largest lake, and if I'm not entirely mistaken it's in fact about as big as Mediterranean sea.
>>
>>44392640
5/10 shape, looks a little odd
0/10 name. Mommer is awful
>>
>>44392989
>I'd say: Don't.
But that's boring.
>>
>>44393146
Actually, no. Non-human settings are boring. You might not realize it now, but unless you are some kind of quite literal prodigy, it's not going to be interesting and it's probably going to be awful.

And if you think humans are "boring", then you simply don't know enough about humans yet. All the less reason trying to imagine something that could compare but be alien.
>>
>>44392989
It's not really natural in origin. The continent is a giant crab's shell that humanity's ancestors raised above the sea, after tiring of floating aimlessly. They landed on the southeast coast, and traveled inland. After a long time, they came upon a huge valley. The first ancestor decided to fill it with water, as the surrounding area was mostly a dry steppe and humans feed on water for nourishment, and carried a sea to the valley.

The large split and mountains were formed because the continents in this world move freely in the ocean, and two regularly plow through this one.
>>
>>44393179
Anon is wrong to think humans are boring. You are wrong to think non-human worlds are boring.
>>
>>44393179
>>44393377
Its not humans are boring, its having to HAVE to include humans.
>>
>>44393411
You don't HAVE to. Is there any reason you don't want them?

Also, what system are you using? What kind of campaign do you think you're going to run with it?
>>
>>44393377
At best it's gonna end up convincingly mimicking humans. At worst (and that is the majority of cases) it's going to end up horribly gimmicky.

I think people should really first learn to understand humans before they dare to explore anything else. The irony is that best non-human oriented fictions are not speculative at all, and admitedly and openly use whatever they use as an analogy for humans.
>>
>>44393489
Or, you know, it's going to be a well-rounded race that differs from humans. This is of course supremely useful for tabletop roleplaying games, as it provides certain objectives and ways of playing for the players. For example; a Dark Eldar (let's use this as an example) is going to want to seek pain and suffering, and will not be able to empathise in situations where it would be beneficial (or disadvantageous) to do so.

We going do this for *another* hundred posts, anon? If so, I'd like you to define "gimmicky" and also tell me how your races are *not* gimmicky. I want to know how you draw the line.
>>
>>44393462
For fun. Most of my settings have been human/pointy-eared human heavy, so change of pace would be good.

Also been reading up on World of Twilight .
>>
>>44390302
>Savannah/Scrublands

Would be best as they would have actual need and use of their 2 legged height. Fur would also help protect skin from scratches.
>>
The world once was just a massive ball of mass with a residents of 7 'Gods'. No water, no plantation of a the sort. With the inevitable clash between the Gods, the world took shape in four land masses with water appearing to emerge for underneath the surface. At the end of the clash the remaining God took one of the continents and vanished. Only shortly after was when life began to form. The size of the planet is extremely massive to the point no voyage can reach another land in their lifetime.

Most of the setting I had developed is around half of one of the continents where humanity is in a heavy struggle against itself. (Kingdoms battling out for territory) Just as it just came out of an Era of peace.
>>
How do you justify all the many races you use without having it seem contrived?
>>
File: Example.jpg (734 KB, 3240x1903) Image search: [Google]
Example.jpg
734 KB, 3240x1903
>>44394828
You know how ancient people had a tonne of different tribal divisions, to the point of seeing them as different peoples? Imagine that, only instead of tribes you have races. This only works in an ancient-style setting full of myth, though.
>>
>>44394828
Dragons having sex with everything.
Other than that,continents with very different climate
>>
Does anyone have the picture where you roll for different types of worlds? For example number of moons, mostly aquatic, gravity, etc.
>>
>>44389157
Write them up as being unknown to human populations until recently (past few hundred years) until some exotic scholars and travelers mentioned the 'arapeth' in passing, and people started to ask what the word was. Choose any word you like, obviously, but you can pick a foreign language and create a not-bad sounding label and chalk it up to cultural differences *inside* the setting.
>>
Anyone here making their own languages?
>>
I'm doing an Osmosis Jones campaign.

The campaign takes place in the body of a cancer survivor with the generation of cells born right after the cancer was treated away.
So it's basically like post war Europe with the war scared into the cultural memory and a lot of ruins and stuff. People trying to rebuild.
That said, the cancer was more like zombies but the cells still refer to it as the Great War.

Either way, my question is, do you guys have some idea for villains?
>>
File: 1370304836457.jpg (121 KB, 352x338) Image search: [Google]
1370304836457.jpg
121 KB, 352x338
>>44398104
>I'm doing an Osmosis Jones campaign.
>>
>>44394828
To keep it simple in my setting the people blame numerous spirits for it. The spirits wanted servants of sorts, and didn't trust humans because of their mythic period of history. So they took whatever basic creatures they had available and applied their own aspects to them to create the various fictional monster races which carry abilities and societies that mimic their creators to a limited extent, with various offshoots resulting from from wars and revolts, internal politics, spirits generally being dickish, wildly incompatible cultures and so on. It gives way to the contrivance that they don't act too differently from human societies to prohibit all interactions (they have language, can speak and learn, trade for resources, some are advanced by necessity other not so much), but far too different to really integrate.
>>
File: IMG_20151227_014949806.jpg (1 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151227_014949806.jpg
1 MB, 1836x3264
Sorry for shit quality, what you guys think about my map?
>>
>>44399335
I LIKE IT.

So who's responsible for smashing south america into the butt of austrailia wearing a smushed madagascar hat?
>>
File: 1338405666248.jpg (19 KB, 481x391) Image search: [Google]
1338405666248.jpg
19 KB, 481x391
>>44399335
That sure is a coast line
>>
>>44399335
Needs more tits. In all seriousness it looks pretty dope. 8/10 would play on.

>>44398104
A single cancer cell that survived the war, hiding out in the wreckage of the lymph nodes, biding his time...
>>
>>44399335
I like it.

Tell me more of this land and its peoples.
>>
>>44399943
>It's a world of terror and despair, the Eldurian Empire rules the land with a iron fist, outlawing magic and hunting heretics and apostates.
In the deserts and in the forests the singing of insane cults cab be heard. They call the Gods in The Stars, for the time of this world has ended.
It's kind of dark fantasy with some lovecraft in it. Last session i went full horror, it was the first time DM'ing a horror game. Shit was fun
And spooky.
>>
File: ohfug.jpg (427 KB, 1760x906) Image search: [Google]
ohfug.jpg
427 KB, 1760x906
>>44400204
Sorry for any grammar fuck up, english is not my native language.
The setting is on a really early stage, how can i make it more dark and hopeless without going full edgelord?
>>
>>44400270
Edgelord is generally a personality thing, so as long as your players aren't supposedly against the wall with horrifying shit but manage to curb stomp their enemies when they feel like it, I doubt anybody is going to feel the game is edgy. Make sure to emphasize terror, inability to fight back, loss of control (even with PCs sometimes), putting them on their back foot and attempting to design encounters so they get through by the skin of their teeth.

Seems a little vague when I type out it, I hope it helps you.
>>
>>44393551
Thinking on this, thought of adding in the sci-fi trope of an advanced race elevating primitive species. Instead of the standard trope, its the humans that elevated the other races and then fucked off.

Trying to think if it should be a fantasy setting, or small scale sci-fi.
>>
Op here, fiddling with the ideas of factions. This look interesting?
>>
>>44402604
Are you going for sterile? Cause those names are sterile as fuck. Sounds like something named by anthropologists or historians hundreds of years after the fact.

Also, how are you justifying having unified factions on a scale like that? History has only really seen empires of that scale three or four times ever, and never at the same time.

If it were me, I'd try incorporating more elements of the names of leaders, relevant locations, or maybe religious figures if you're having a theocracy.

I'm new as fuck to /tg/ in general, but these were my thoughts, as someone trying to make a setting for the first time
>>
>>44402694
All valid points.

>Are you going for sterile? Cause those names are sterile as fuck. Sounds like something named by anthropologists or historians hundreds of years after the fact.

Those are placeholder names for the time being. I need to flesh out the governments some more(Or get you guys to name them 'cause I'm a lazy bum)

>Also, how are you justifying having unified factions on a scale like that? History has only really seen empires of that scale three or four times ever, and never at the same time.

Yeah, it seems a little large to me too. I just figured that nowadays it would be slightly easier to maintain an empire of that size due to communication technology. Also, yeah, I'll trim 'em down, split one or two up.

Anything else? Would appreciate ideas on how to rectify the banality of it.
>>
>>44402761
I couldn't say any more just from what I've seen here. I think you and I probably have different design philosophies. I take a piecemeal approach, coming up with ideas for characters, settings, and encounters first and then stringing them together in a way that makes some sense, mostly because I'm creatively bankrupt and just plagiarizing cool shit I've read/seen/played that I don't think my players will recognize. My world will probably be a little less thematically coherent than yours, for example, but my players won't give much of a shit if the encounters and characters are good and memorable.

Which brings me to the the point of design philosophy. As I've been working on this setting in tandem with running a premade one, it's become apparent to me that I need to get away from designing the world based on the standards I'm used to (books and vidya, mostly), and design around my characters and what they'd enjoy. I'm not going to compromise my vision for their sake or anything like that, and I don't suggest anyone do, but I'm thinking of their characters and what would be a good encounter for the party when I sit down and start writing/researching. If you have a party lined up, I'd suggest you do that, if not, leave room for plenty of retooling to fit them.

One other thing, actually, is making the world interesting to your players, in ways that may not initially occur to you. Like, once they reach a certain level, allow them an option that makes the drudgery of moving around the world a lot easier. This would give them a sense of progression and probably make them appreciate the world more, since it wouldn't be so much a hindrance to them. Also maybe let them shift power structures in a way that makes merchants wealthier, or roads safer. Something along those lines. It all depends on your players, really, but I think enforcing a sense of agency is always important.

just my two cents, not sure how much of this will be helpful :V
>>
Maybe it's just me living in landlocked country, but why you pay so much attention to coastline? Hardly all of those tiny islands will serve any function aside of just being there and looking believable.
>>
>>44383260
Basically it's a generic sci-fi setting only after first contact big box retail stores were the main human organizations/factions to make it offworld. The party would play as the employees of a Wal-Mart setting up on an alien world with one player being the manager, another being the security guard, another being the produce dept. head, and so on. They'd be on a planet something like Naboo from star wars, a few high tech near-human settlements and some primitive aliens of weirder biologies. Quests include stopping threats to Wal-Mart's dominance of the local economy which could range from a local cult summoning a lovecraftian deity to a small business owner trying to compete with you.
>>
>>44403239
Isles with caves and coves are the buttered rum bread of pirate campaigns. That said, a lot of excess islands can give leeway to other things specific to other campaigns. Isolated people, dangerous exotic plants and animals, untouched ruins and relics. You can have all those things without islands. So why islands? Because. Because and isolation. There's your answer.
>>
I want to have eldritch/alien style strange cosmic god things, but I want to approach it different way from the usual(as in, squid/octopus inspiration.)

Any advice for where to start/take inspiration from?
>>
>>44403647
The usual takes inspiration from the deep sea because it's basically an alien world.

But there are other places to take inspiration from that can be equally alien. Deep tropical rainforests, the arctic, Australia.
Though eldritch entities based on the last will may be a bit overkill.

And plenty of older mythologies from India, across Russian territories, and north native American and South America also have loads of inspiration. All the ancients were pretty good at making up some horrifying shit.
>>
Sorry, this may not be the best thread for this

I'm working on some concept weapons for a not-so-distant future setting where alternative energy sources and weaponry have become commonplace, sorta like Fallout pre-war stuff with a mix of Blade Runner-esque sci-fi.
I was wondering if any anons had any interest in helping me flesh out some concepts.
Pic related is a quick sketch up of a basic laser pistol, which has become a commonplace civilian self-defense weapon.

I tried to put at least a little thought into the function of the laser itself and how that effects the design of the weapon.
Thoughts?
>>
File: laspistol wip.jpg (640 KB, 2784x2800) Image search: [Google]
laspistol wip.jpg
640 KB, 2784x2800
>>44403718
ach sheisse
>>
>>44403715

I personally like Elder things that seem to be part of the environment they are in.

It's almost impossible to describe but in that moment they are that rock and that tree. Then they are that squirrel and that cloud; you KNOW that is what they are or what they are 'in', but you don't know how you know. Gods could also be things like floral patterns or merely superimposed images/sounds/sensations on your mind, you know its not really there but its talking to you and you know it can fuck with you if it wants.

Depends on how you like your horror though.
>>
>>44403806
Eldritch entities as abstract concepts influencing the world is one of favs.
I was disappointing with Bloodbornes interpretation until I figured out what they meant by Formless Oedon, and what further things they implied with echoes of blood, etc.

Some literally untouchable forces that have unknown amounts of influence on the world, doing their own mostly unknowable alien things, they're fuckin great.
There's that one twilight zone episode that I think covered something similar with a particular form of light that covered some rocks, where it was the 'light' itself was alive and a small part of a greater being. Or maybe that was from the x-files, it's neat either way.
>>
>>44403647
You gotta look at what exactly it is we take for granted in people. A good way to do these things is to go for the uncanny valley.

For example, you know the phrase "nobody's perfect"? Or more poetically, "to err is human". Well, you could have eldritch gods be perfect humans with faces so beautiful they burn your soul away. Their singing renders empires sterile. They literally can do no wrong. They are unstoppable because they are just better than you.
>>
>>44403647
Try Crustaceans, or Arthropods in general. Maybe also try Mollusks that aren't Cephalopods.
>>
>World is hollow, and is roughly the shape of C60 (bucky balls, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminsterfullerene)
>where the earth's core would normally be is a miniature star, which is the planet's source of light
>Light reaches the surface by reflecting off the three moons orbiting the planet, which provide a permanent state of twighlight/not-dark-enough-to-be-night
>Due to the lack of light, the surface is barren, the only animals are predators and the only plants are roots
>plants grow upside down, flowering/bearing fruit below the surface and facing the sun, while their roots dig through the crust (which is as thick as Earth's)
>Massive, bat-like birds live off the plentiful plants of the underworld
>"Farmers" are a crazy group of people who risk their life every day by building structures which hang into the underworld and climb around the abyss to gather fruits and hunt abyssbats
>Water is found on the underside of the crust (it condenses and rises like clouds, but gets trapped when it hits the earth, it floats up to the surface via the massive holes in the ground due to strong updrafts
>blimps and hang-gliders are used to quickly traverse between coastal cities, across the holes in the ground
>There is a race of "savages" that lives on the underside of the crust. They are affected by gravity negatively, and so their "up" is the surface dweller's "down"
>The "flipsiders" are afraid of the surface dwellers, and so try to attack them on sight, raiding the farms as much as they can

how did I do, /tg/? I've never even played a tbaletop game. The closest I have come is Knights of Pen and Paper pls no bully
>>
>>44404141
sounds a lot like Terranigma
>>
>>44404153
Just looked it up, it looks like a fun game

thanks(?) anon
>>
File: Roland.jpg (131 KB, 1008x792) Image search: [Google]
Roland.jpg
131 KB, 1008x792
>>
>battle between force of law and force of order waged for eons
>the gods of order and chaos engage in a final battle that mortally wounds both of them
>without their presences, their creations will disintegrate into nothingness
>in order to save their flocks, the rival gods merge together to form a world that attempts to balance law and chaos
>as the merging was rushed and sudden, flux zones of unstable magic energy dot the lands
>flux zones perpetually rearranges the land within, causing a randomly generated labyrinth of creatures and loot that adventurers explore
>play as one of these adventurers and work as a team with others to survive the chaotic clusterfuck that are the flux

That's the basic premise of this medium fantasy world I'm designing. Apart from locations, flora, fauna and geography what else should I flesh out?
>>
So on a doomed Earth, but from a somewhat escapable doom (thanks to handwavium, "cheap" spaceships, the possibility to freeze and revive people and other planetary systems within reach due to natural wormholes and the slowish nature of said doom (which is the sun slowly warming up, so it's an inavoidable faster global warming)) where most of the West working together, and China, can both hope to escape and probably even help some of the other countries, what would Russia do? Try it all alone, even though it has 0 hope of matching either of the other two powers and might not even manage to save itself and its people? Would Russian leadership even fit with any of these two factions'? Would Russian people fit with either of the others? Would it try to hitch a ride, threatening to nuke the others if they don't get their place in the stars too?
>>
File: Lawandorder01.jpg (163 KB, 1024x578) Image search: [Google]
Lawandorder01.jpg
163 KB, 1024x578
>>44405261
I like the green. I would like to see cultures and civilizations fleshed out and how they have adapted to their circumstance.
>>
>>44405598
>>44405261
>force of law

fuck me I meant force of chaos in the first line

I'm always interested in an order-chaos dichotomy and trying to balance both forces is one of my lore's goals

Another thing in that premise is a state religion that worships the merged being as the Father of Balance, where adherents strive to be True Neutral essentially, abiding by local laws but living freely. The Cleric class will have its roots in this religion
>>
>>44405665
Law vs. Order sounds more interesting desu senpai.
>>
>>44405872
Law and Order are pretty much the same shit though
>>
>>44406137
In the same way cyanide and death are the same thing. One is a means to another, and it doesn't always work.
>>
>>44405872
Laws are simply man-made rules, though. Law wouldn't work as a primordial force.

Though I would totes play a Law&Order campaign.
>>
>>44405261
Another aspect of this world is that its orbital axis is perfectly zero, resulting in constant climates unlike the seasonal ones on Earth.

This makes civilizations on either ends of the equator dependent on foraging/hunting through the flux zones for survival, and several nations compete over ownership of flux zones where it is impossible to hold it with troops, having to annex it within its territory to claim its harvests.
>>
>>44406264
You can leverage Law as being a manifestation of desire of sapients to enforce their will upon the natural order of things.
>>
>>44406700
That ain't got shit to do with law, though.
>>
File: untitled-1.jpg (158 KB, 740x560) Image search: [Google]
untitled-1.jpg
158 KB, 740x560
>>44389482
>The king descended into madness, his dream-informed decrees spiraling from the decadent and perverse to that of pure sin. His Great Work became an accursed place, its evil never before seen on earth. Outwardly it looked to be paradise but inside it was most surely Hell.
>>
>>44408434
Why was it hell when it looked like paradise?

Who was behind the dreams that informed his sin?
>>
File: Nigeria-cursed-by-God.jpg (46 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
Nigeria-cursed-by-God.jpg
46 KB, 700x400
>>44409331
The dream was initially presented as a vision from God telling the king to rebuild biblical Eden. Over time the dreams stopped being a simple rebuilding process but an improvement on Gods work with increasingly terrible wonders added, each element an edifice to human triumph over Gods creation. The Great Work soon became the playground for an unseen force now believed to be the Devil himself attempting to build an Anti-Eden of his own.
>>
File: elves.png (109 KB, 414x426) Image search: [Google]
elves.png
109 KB, 414x426
This setting is inspired by 40k, all of the decay and stagnation, are removed and turned upside down. The rest pretty much stays the same but get's a new paintjob on a smaller scale.
Humanity rises from a near apocalypse on planet earth that was caused by a meteor strike. The only people that were still alive were those stationed in undersea bases, underground bunkers and space stations.
The last survivors struggled for food, water, and any remaining resource on the burned surface, the atmospheric temperature has risen by around 50° on average because massive fires are still burning through everything that has once breathed oxygen in the forests and cities of this world, the weather is going bonkers and almost nothing is left on the surface.
Naturally, the "colonists" begin to battle over these life giving resources and wars break out.
As the fire leaves only ashes, and the heavens turn black with smoke the temperatures lower again, but they don't halt at normal levels, they go far below that. A new ice age dawns. The borders between the territories are pretty much set now, and any wars freeze as humanity begins it's great slumber. Those trbes and groups that did not manage to become self sustaining are left to starve in their bunkers.
The wars stop as abruptly as they started and now humanity is waiting to thaw. But while it is waiting it is also dreaming. Among the dreamers is the man who would later reunite humanity under one banner, and lead them to their long forgotten greatness again.
With slowly normalizing temperatures the human nature begins to wake up again, and war breaks out once more. This time, not over the resources, but over the ideologies and ideals that developed over the ice ages.
The heretics fight the zealots, the communists the imperialists, it's an all out world war, and one man conquers them all. (cont)
>>
>>44403647
Geometric anomalies and intelligent singulatiries.

Think Ramiel and Leliel from Neon Genesis Evangelion.
>>
File: 1374517835872[1].jpg (266 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1374517835872[1].jpg
266 KB, 1440x1080
>>44403647
>>44410486
>>
Is there a master list of /tg/ related books? I want to beef up repertoire of setting material specializing in fantasy. This can be epic fantasy for culture and general setting ideas or just strong character books that aren't specifically fantasy that will make me better at making and playing npcs.

I guess I should also include more non fiction / biographies.
>>
File: porogressive_worldbuilding.jpg (104 KB, 500x486) Image search: [Google]
porogressive_worldbuilding.jpg
104 KB, 500x486
>>44410088 (checking my self)
This man came from one of the many space station returnee families who settled whereever their return capsules landed.
This tribe however used it's time during the ice age not to simply build more weapons and breed more recruits, but to make better weapons and breed better recruits.
The landing capsule came down near a genetics lab, and the space returnees decided to settle there.
They took the technology into their freshly dug bunkers and experimented for years during the ice age, creating an incredibly fast, strong and long living warrior caste among their own.
When the world thawed they let loose these warriors and waged war on their enemies.
To cut it short, they won. Barely.
As the new overlord of the entire earth our brave hero decided that it was time to make humanity great again.
Thus he turned to the sky. And what he found was the moon. And he decided that the moon was a good place to go.
After rebuilding much of the almost undamaged infrastructure, and increasing the population of earth to roughly 2 billion efforts were redirected to create a space program. This space program, while crude and mainly used for propaganda, as well as military purposes was not really too successful, but it did prove a point.
Humanity was back in business.
As the years passed and humans for the first time in decades had fresh food and fertile ground at their disposal the population spiked drastically, scientific progress was unstoppable as one secret of the past was uncovered after the other, the space program was picking up speed, it did not take long for the first man made satellite to circle the earth once more, shortly after that a human was launched into space, and it did not take long until the abandoned space stations were either scrapped or re-populated.
With 4 billion humans and a food stocks filled to the brim humanity was better off than before the great impact, or as the people of earth call it now "The Great Purge". (cont)
>>
File: Brothers-Grimm.jpg (88 KB, 553x600) Image search: [Google]
Brothers-Grimm.jpg
88 KB, 553x600
>>44410672
United under one banner the great leader remembered his goal to reach for the moon, and send out a first scout spacecraft to land on the surface and return.
The three heroes aboard never returned and the mission was swept under a rug quickly.
The second mission transmitted a very strange message back to earth shorty after landing and contact stopped once more.
"Send Help!"
At first it was assumed that the mission had failed again, and that another mission would have to be send, this time equipped with the recently discovered SSTV cameras.
The pictures these silent observers send back were truly horrifying. Apparently the crew that was send this time was slaughterede by an unknown foe shortly after landing.
Enraged the Emperor decided to wage war upon the moon people. He build an army of improved gene soldiers and declared a period of preparation. During this time humanity did not only uncover old technologies, but came up with completely new stuff, such as the degravitated mass, which allowed spaceships to be lighter carry more load.
100 teams of 10 were send out to the moon at the same time in their newly build space ships, equipped with the best armor and weapons the scavengers could find and even better SSTV cameras to report back to earth.
To cut things short again: they land and discover that the surface is roamed by some fucking scary alien species that appears to be absolutely horrifying mutated humans. Where they came from? Nobody knows. All they know is that they don't like visitors.
Only 40 of the 100 ships return, all badly damaged and the soldiers wounded.
Humanity prepares even more for the next assaults, while the Emperor is slowly turning insane and obsessed with the moon.
Turns out that these moon-mutants are all from an old moon base that humanity set up before the big badaboom. They mutated due to space radiation and are now guarding their space port.
This space port is a free ticket to anywhere else in the solar system.
>>
File: anondelivers.png (291 KB, 1105x700) Image search: [Google]
anondelivers.png
291 KB, 1105x700
>>44411027
The Emperor, obsessed with spreading humanity even further calls out a great crusade against these moon mutants and sets every piece of his empire to produce more for the war effort.
However the population did not cease to spike in the mean time. It continued to rise exponentially and there are now around 8 billion humans on earth. Supplies begin to run low again and the infrastructure can't keep up with the growing demands.
New methods of transportation are required, and the degravitated metals come into play again, as they allow extremely light vehicles to be build that can be lifted into the air with even with weaker engines.
The Emperor is not meant to see these new machines. He dies at the age of 114 years. He leaved no sons or daughters behind and thus humanity is left to govern itself. Nobody knows what to do, but the last order was to get your asses to the moon. Every system in the Empire is still geared towards war, and nobody bothers to change that.
Populations increase still and humanity HAS to get off earth to survive, but the war with the sentient moon mutants continues. All that humanity can do is to produce more, invent more, and throw more bodies at the front.
This is the universe of the Great Exodus, where humanity can not back down, since death by overpopulation awaits them on earth, and death by mutants waits above.
Everyone who doesn't put all his efforts towards the war above is deemed a mutant supporter and lynched in public by those who believe that humanity has to leave earth.
Will humanity manage to regain control of the long lost technologies on the moon and win the war against the horrors from above, or will they fail and die a slow death in their homes?
That's pretty much it. I made this up as I went along with only the introduction set.
A semi retro, semi scifi overpopulated setting based on tundra earth with moon mutants, space battles and some bullshit.
>>
File: 1451151861895.jpg (1 MB, 2125x2750) Image search: [Google]
1451151861895.jpg
1 MB, 2125x2750
>>44390825
The actual art looks good, just add some contrast. It's way too murky and hard to read.

All I did here was pretty much some auto-contrast and tone in Photoshop. You could probably do better with some more careful adjustment.
>>
File: skeleton warrior.jpg (284 KB, 558x1024) Image search: [Google]
skeleton warrior.jpg
284 KB, 558x1024
>>44409331
Banished to another dimension by God and its builders and their offspring cursed for all time, the sudden reappearance of this Anti-Eden has lead to the Pope and the kings of the world declaring a grand exploration to retrieve its treasures.
Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.