[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Night Wizard 3rd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7
File: NW3BookCover1Color.jpg (343 KB, 711x1000) Image search: [Google]
NW3BookCover1Color.jpg
343 KB, 711x1000
Merry Christmas, /tg/

I pushed myself and finished my shitty partial translation of Night Wizard 3rd edition. I hope you can enjoy, because this was a shitton of work!

https://mega.nz/#!GNhiWbaZ!pulG6rPIRHkoQLt9qsKUB1ONwhOQXSYPioYRCMqx9NE

or

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3ubsz9f12jepxp1/Night+Wizard+3E.zip

Links get the same file, I just did two places because mega is sometimes (mosttimes) shit.

Question me if you like.
>>
>>
At long last my waifus are within reach, thanks you based translator OP
>>
>>44382878
I'm forever a lurker of /tg/ and never a player but thank you OP.
>>
>>44382878
What's this system about?
>>
>>44382878

Fucking awesome! God bless you, OP.
>>
>>44383121
It's pretty much akin to every other F.E.A.R. game. It isn't SRS, but it'll look pretty familiar if you're played DoubleCross or Log Horizon.

2d6, add number, roll equal to or better than difficulty.

At the beginning of every session, however, you roll two sets of 2d6. One is your C Value, the other is your F Value (Critical/Fumble). You can spend your character's CF Mod to affect the numbers, and you want to push your C to be as close to 7 as possible, while pushing F to either 2 or 12, because of averages of how likely 7 is to come up as opposed to 2 or 12.

If you roll your C Value, you add 10 to your total, then roll again. You can keep doing this as often as you roll C Value. If you roll F Value, you take the modifier you *would* have added to the roll, subtract 10 from it, then just use that as your result.

Then you've got Prana, which can be used to reroll, add extra dice, cancel fumbles, pay for abilities, and other stuff I can't recall immediately.
>>
>>44383204
What about the overall setting itself?
>>
>>44384848
There is an anime that's out, made in 2007, which'll give a better feel for the setting than I could. But to c/p from my intro:

The world is "normal". Everywhere you look, you see modern day Earth. However, that's only because the world is encased in what's called the World Barrier. The World Barrier enforces what's called "common sense". If something happens in the world that many (read as: more than a few) people recognize as "something that should not exist", the World Barrier kicks in and literally rewrites reality so that thing no longer exists--it's erased and forgotten. This makes life hard for Emulators, who are basically shapeshifting demons that need "prana"--the energy of life itself--to survive. If they ran out and drained prana willy-nilly, they'd quickly become common knowledge, and the World Barrier would erase their ENTIRE SPECIES. Sucks.

So, Emulators developed "Gekkou" or Lunar Caskets. These are micro-realities, basically. You see them all the time in anime--the "closed space" alternate dimension stuff that allows people to fight without destroying the surrounding area. If left alone, these Lunar Caskets would overwrite the World Barrier, imposing themself over that space. So the park downtown would suddenly turn into a weird, reality-bent area where literal demons could exist. It'd be bad news. That's why the Wizards exist! Their entire job is to go into Lunar Caskets and destroy the "core", undoing the overwrite process. Of course, Emulators are wise to this shit, so they often erect Fortresses within the Lunar Caskets. In short: modern day dungeon diving.

And that's the core conceit of the setting. Wizards are at war with the Emulators. Mind you, Wizards are no more "out of bounds" than Emulators are--they can't use magic in sight of Innocents (non-Wizards), or magic itself will be erased. So it's a secret war, and it's anime as fuck.
>>
>>44384964
Sounds like an anime-as-fuck rendition of Vampire: the Masquerade mixed with Hunter except with pocket dimensions and demon-busting.
>>
>>44385004
I've heard it compared to Mage before, actually, but I'm not much for WoD so I don't really know... but from what I do know, yeah that sounds about right.

As for "anime as fuck" spoiler for the anime: they have a huge war in space and blow up a massive chunk of Saturn's rings. it's pretty fucking anime. I mean there's a skill in the game called "Super Huge Weapon" and it's followed up with "Super Huge Weapon II".
>>
>>44385047
I mean, the core concept is "anime mages waging secret wars with demons in the modern world," so the basis itself is already anime as fuck.
>>
>>
This seems neat. Thanks.
>>
>>44382878
Can we ask what's missing form this partial translation? Anything important, or just setting fluff?
>>
File: 2015-12-20 19.28.22.jpg (2 MB, 1536x2560) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-20 19.28.22.jpg
2 MB, 1536x2560
>>44382878
A friend of mine brought this back from Japan a couple of years ago, I thought this might be the place to ask for a brief translation of the cover.
>>
>>44382878
Thanks, OP. You're doing something good.

I actually went and bought a bunch of books on my last visit to Japan a year ago, but never got to scanning them or even translating them.
>>
I think this is promising.

The whole world barrier concept would work well for running a game based on a quest follow.
>>
>>44388649
>a quest follow
Do what now?
>>
File: pearl_cool.jpg (606 KB, 998x1512) Image search: [Google]
pearl_cool.jpg
606 KB, 998x1512
>>44388306
Just setting fluff. There is some mechanical stuff I didn't translate but it's "extra" mechanical stuff that isn't really necessary. Like forming pacts with the Maou/Demon Lords, which came in the third book. I didn't do those because they come with a lot of fluff text that I'd really want to translate, seeing as they're like full bio write-ups for each of the Maou.
>>
>>44388546
The title is "Labyrinth of the Guillotine". The only thing of real importance is the description of what it is, which is something like:

"You awaken in an underground ruin steeped in an ominous air, your memories missing. What on earth happened? Barring your path are enemies and wicked traps. And there's a beautiful, mysterious warrior woman. You must escape before the wicked master of these ruins, Guillotine Hands(?), takes your neck!"

That might also be "Guillotine Hanz" but I don't know. Imagining a dude with guillotines for hands is pretty funny too.

Seems it was released in 2010 by a company called Fightingtroll. Search for 断頭台の迷宮 to see its Amazon link.
>>
>>44388674
It might work for barrier combat for Ryukuza Quest.
>>
Nice work, OP. Here's hoping this shows interest in the game so we can get a professional port done.
>>
File: himuro_nw.jpg (223 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
himuro_nw.jpg
223 KB, 800x800
>>44382878

Thanks, anon !
>>
>>44385047
How dare you sell me on a game when no one will run or play it.

;_;
>>
>>44390382
That's a pretty good picture of Akari

>>44390432
Sorry, man :(
>>
>>44382878
You are fucking amazing. Japanese tabletop RPGs are like crack to me. They design things so differently.
>>
>>44390931
>You are fucking amazing. Japanese tabletop RPGs are like crack to me. They design things so differently.
This alone appeals to me a lot. Shit like Loises in DXR are still primarily the purview of ultra rules-lite narrative games. There it seems to be par of the course.
>>
>>44391611
Didn't want to namefag, sorry.
>>
>>44391625
Too late gigafag.
>>
>>44382878
Interesting game. Not really up my alley. I'm not a big fan of the whole "Reality-enforced Masquerade" concept. I much prefer the Shadowrun model where the Masquerade has come crashing down and now society at large has to come to terms with this new strangeness.

I'm really not a fan of this particular model in Night Wizard.

This >>44384964

Seems to imply that the PCs are literally one fuckup away from negating the existence of magic itself.
>>
>>44391699
It's probably not as clear cut, but that's the core conceit: wage a magical war without letting the innocents ever discovering that magic (and demons and shit) are real.
>>
>>44391699
From what I know, it'd have to be a pretty big fuckup. If you use magic in front of even a few people, most people won't believe them when they say "I saw someone literally using magic." It has to be like, "using magic during a live newscast." Even someone taking a personal video on a cellphone could be discredited as "just a hoax", and Wizards probably actively seek to do just that.

But... if that fuckup is indeed big enough, then yes, it would erase magic.
>>
>>44382878
OP = God. Kinda tempted to run it on Roll20 to be honest.
>>
>>44394797
You need to recruit >>44390432 for said game!
>>
>>44395120
Yes but... I've never GMd for more than a session so far.
>>
Wow, that's sick. Thank you anon.
>>
>>44395154
You can do it. GMing isn't about being in control of dispensing the fun, where other people's fun rests on whether you're good or not. It's about helping everyone have fun, and they helping you in turn!

Or something...?
>>
>>44395154
Every GM has been where you are.

You can do it, Anon!
>>
Based moonrune deciphering anon! Thank you for your work!
>>
>>44395546
>>44395343
Mistakes were made
>>44395951
>>
>>44389769
I went to bed after posting, and I'm glad this is still up so I express my gratitude.
Thank you very much, Anon.
>>
Friend of OP, and long-time NW! fan.

The World Barrier does not go full-on batshit crazy on everyone all the time, so on most adventures you really don't have to worry that much. Like, an ancient god pops up in the middle of a city and the World Barrier does not assert itself. (They also change the battlefield, so that helps!)

The old books have an example that, say your character is riding their Broom in flight. An Innocent sees you, and says, "That's not right. D:" The World Barrier won't erase the magic, but it will assert "common sense" and you will go crashing to the ground with great hilarity.

All in all, the tone of the game is determined entirely by the GM, but remember, this is the kind of game where power suits and anti-materiel rifles are considered "general equipment" and an appropriate mix of classes will make you a techno-magical Infinite Stratos pilot.

Basically, don't worry about it. Have fun! :D
>>
>>44397292
>:D
>_>
*grabs throat*
BACK THE FUCK OFF?!?!?!?!
>>
>>44382878
You are doing the lord's work, anon.

God bless /tg/!
>>
OP, would you have any information on the general changes made in between Night Wizard 2E -> 3E?
>>
>>44398466
Gosh, uh. There were a number of changes but I haven't cataloged them or anything. Let me try to think...

- There's no longer a "Prana Essence" and a "Prana Release" stat, just your Essence/Max Prana. So you can spend as much Prana as you like. However, I did notice Prana totals tend to be lower generally, now.

- The biggest change is there's no longer squares for movement and range/targeting. You have "Engages" like in DoubleCross or... most abstract movement systems now, really, but the difference is that NW3 doesn't give a shit about ranges beyond Short, really. You're either in an Engage with someone, and therefore Close range, or not in an Engage with someone, and therefore Short. Long exists, but is the realm of "unreachable distance" and used for say, snipers. Extreme range also exists but the book compares Extreme to being like watching someone on TV; they're 'a part of the scene' but they aren't really physically present.

- Every class that has anything to do with a Broom now just gets a Broom for free and doesn't need to spend any money on it. So Edge Masters get themselves a free Magic Sword Broom because that's the entire point of their class, so why wouldn't they have one?

- New classes: Broomman (robotic, sentient Brooms), Gunslinger (essentially divorcing the Gunner's Broom-specific stuff from Killing Machine), Elementalist, Hacker, Recorder (you possess the memories of an era and can manifest things from that era within your special Lunar Robe), and Idol. Because why wouldn't you have Idol.

- Fortresses are no longer tile-by-tile, but instead use a "Tree of Sephirot" style system which is more freeform. You can take a look here: http://www.fear.co.jp/nw/dlc/nw3_sheet_fortress.pdf

- Classes got rebalanced and many classes now have MP costs where they didn't before. So Werewolf is no longer a "fuck your dungeon, GM, I'mma solo this bitch" because they're limited by their MP.

Probably more changes, but those are the highlights.
>>
>>44398728
Is 3E considered better than 2E in Japan? I remember some low-star Amazon reviews when the book first came out which would probably be explained by the usual "New Version Angst", but I think it's probably normalized by now (haven't checked yet)
>>
>>44399159
Not really sure, to be honest... but I'll venture a guess and say no I don't think so. It's riddled with typos and errors and seems like a pretty rush job, to be honest. And Night Wizard has always been a kind of dungeon explorer thing, just set in modern day, so getting rid of the movement squares probably eliminated a lot of interest.

For me, it feels like both an improvement and not. The classes feel more balanced (Werewolf was so bad in 2E) but at the same time more bland. Meanwhile the movement system seems fairly well considered because range doesn't really matter in Night Wizard outside of "are you using a sword or bullet or magic." I like squares and tactical movement myself, but I'm not married to it, and this seems like a pretty good quick-and-dirty movement system.

Fortresses would probably be more interesting if I translated the Advanced Fortress Rules, which... I might, but my poor brain needs a rest. As it is, though, they're adequate.
>>
Bump for those anons who like to hang out in the Japanese TRPG threads, on the slim chance they haven't seen this yet.
>>
So.. If I'm interested purely in the setting to run it in a different system, the links are useless to me, aren't they?
>>
>>44402071
They are, I'm sorry. But there is an anime that has been subtitled, which'll give you most of what you need really.
>>
>>44382878
Based OP.
Wish I knew moonrunes myself.
>>
Japanese bump
>>
OP I hope you are here.

What you did is totally fucking rad and this is very playable already, so I understand if you really don't want to, but is there any chance you'll translate this eventually?

>I didn't translate the advanced Fortress rules from the advanced book, which provides for random events and random creation of Fortresses.

I'm a big fan of random generation. I loved the random scenario generation in DX for instance.
>>
>>44407279
I might go back to it, yeah. The advanced Fortress rules are pretty fun and they deserve some love, I just wanted to push the game out and be done with it for a little bit.

Funny you should bring the random scenario generation up because *I think* that might have been put into the Knights of the Doom book they just put out for NW3. I don't have it yet, so I can't confirm, but there's a sheet on the website for NW3 (in Japanese) and it has the whole "Heroine" "Rival" thing DX's random scenario generation did.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.