[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What type of genres or settings would you like to see done as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 19
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 511x288) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 511x288
What type of genres or settings would you like to see done as a skirmish minis game that you feel gets overlooked?

Infinity has anime cyberpunk covered, and there is no shortage of grim dark fantasy or war war II games. But what else?
>>
>>44382290
>Infinity has anime cyberpunk covered

Not-anime cyberpunk.
>>
File: image.jpg (341 KB, 1024x1373) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
341 KB, 1024x1373
>>44382359
So what were you thinking of then? Max headroom? Neuroromaner?

For what it's worth Infinity is less anime in general and more just outright a whole sale rip off of Ghost In The Shell. Which is actually pretty cynical no-nonsense stuff by most standards

It doesn't follow usual anime troops of kung fu giving you superpowers and letting you dodge bullets at all.
>>
World of Darkness

Witches, hunters, werewolves, vampires, homuncli, and more all in a big throw down.
>>
>>44382579
Would it be be set on the modern day or ' Dracula times?'
>>
File: The New Zealand Wars V2.2.7.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The New Zealand Wars V2.2.7.pdf
1 B, 486x500
When I see a setting I want to play that doesn't have rules, I just write them.

Currently working on a Russo-Japanese land battle game. there's a surprising lack of battalion level games for this period that aren't hex and chit.
>>
Something similar to the shonen manga genre- one young human leader who can summon one/multiple monsters/robots that may or may not combine. As seen in Pokemon, Digimon, Yu Gi Oh, Fighting Foodons and Daigunder.
>>
File: medals.jpg (33 KB, 380x243) Image search: [Google]
medals.jpg
33 KB, 380x243
>>44382579
Give this man a medal!
>>
>>44382290
Probably gritty sci-fi, like Necromunda covers, or Kaiju. The only sci-fi game I can think of that gets the old, worn feeling of gang warfare that Necromunda has, besides Necromunda, it Dark Age. And Kaiju, you had Monsterpocalypse, but that's in development hell. Taking Warmahordes and fixing it so the jacks and warbeasts take the stage would be nice.

>>44382681
Pretty sure he means modern, since Dracula times seems like just dark fantasy.
>>
Pre-Time-Skip Naruto.
>>
>>44383130
That's what I was gonna say yeah...

Still Dracula and Frankenstein plus their brides battling it on the street doesn't fit in 'masquerade' thing in the world of darkness.

Unless maybe if it was set right during the end times and they all lost their minds?
>>
File: malifaux-flesh-construct.jpg (94 KB, 781x490) Image search: [Google]
malifaux-flesh-construct.jpg
94 KB, 781x490
>>44383230
I don't know about Draculas, but Malifaux does have Frankensteins.
>>
>>44383337
Yeah but that's firmly in the dark fantasy with liberal lashings of steam punk.

WOD is all about today's no nonsense Street vampires living on the edge.
>>
>>44382728
>pokemon skirmish game
I would play this so hard.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 443x332
>>44383980
Maybe someone could do something around the amido things?
>>
>>44383980
fuck yeah
>>
>>44383337
umm, that's actually Frankenstein's monster, thank you.
>>
>>44382549
It may not be straight on 'anime', but Infinity still has religious crusader knights, werewolves, and aliens. I'd love a hard edge cyberpunk setting without that stuff.

Otherwise, kinda like people were saying, I'd love a 'torch and pitchfork' dark fantasy setting. Modern vamps too, if done correctly.
>>
File: frankenstein.png (63 KB, 641x305) Image search: [Google]
frankenstein.png
63 KB, 641x305
>>44387372
You forced my hand anon.
>>
Any setting, really.
I don't particularly like the settings of any of the current games.
>>
File: 1.jpg (171 KB, 661x661) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
171 KB, 661x661
I have one that includes giants, amazons, over powered magicians, space ships and strawberry soldiers
>>
Post apocalyptic war ala Mad Max and Fallout. Mutants, Scavangers Raiders, etc with lots of vehicle options
>>
File: IT SAYS YOU'RE GAY.jpg (123 KB, 640x632) Image search: [Google]
IT SAYS YOU'RE GAY.jpg
123 KB, 640x632
>>44387372
>umm
Do you really think that shit is acceptable?

>UMMMMMMMM UMMMMMMMMM UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM UUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

This is what you sound like. Learn to speak properly and not like an infant.
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 640x545) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 640x545
>>44387446
>>44387446
Oh Infinity is full of dumb shit, but it's Anime influences is pretty much start and end at ghosts in the shell.

All that other shit is stuff you'll be more likely to see another wargames like 40 K then anime.
>>
>>44387756
>but it's Anime influences is pretty much start and end at ghosts in the shell.
Nigga, they are blatantly ripping off visual novels for miniature designs.
Don't even pretend it's not weeaboo as fuck.
>>
>>44382290
Titanic robot battles! With small games played in tandem or in sequence with the winner being determined by most points killed/most parts captured. Like, giant robot ships or whatever.
>>
>>44387446
>I'd love a hard edge cyberpunk setting without that stuff.
Human Interface and Afterlife seem to be going that way.
Priestley said Gates of Antares was gonna be hard-sci-fi, but it seems to be going a fairly pulpy direction. Still worth a look since it doesn't have werewolves and vampires either.
>>
>>44387896
Well yeah, the art style IS weebo as fuck, but the actual universe is fairly hard scifi for the most part and the game play some what tactical.

An actually anime themed war game would have house wives cut a tank in half with a paper fan.
>>
I really want a mad maxish gorka morka car game with magnetized cars and survives you have to salvage an upgrade and repair and such on your journey through the wasteland in a mordheim style campaign.

I'd give my left nut for good multipart post apocalypse vehicle kits and survivor/mutant boxes.
>>
>>44387372
>Compains about the semantics of the name of the Frankenstain's monster
>In a post that uses "Draculas"
>>
>>44388272
Check out punkocalypse, eden, sulphur and the vehicle range from pardulon.
>>
I'd love to see a miniature game set in a broze age sword and sorcery game.
>>
>>44389277
They are coming out with a Conan miniatures game. What's been shown doesn't blow me away, though.
>>
>>44382290
I'd love to see a Wild West skirmish game that isn't pants-on-head retarded.
>>
I think a D&D style fantasy themed skirmish game would be pretty neat.

One player would be the pseudo Dungeon Master and theme their forces out of typical badguys like goblin hordes, necromancers, etc while the other player plays a party of heroes based on popular fantasy archetypes like the charming bard, dumb as bricks barbarian, etc.

The game would be totally functional as a pick up and play skirmish game, but includes rules for campaign play.
>>
File: 0Brh3fh.jpg (44 KB, 450x280) Image search: [Google]
0Brh3fh.jpg
44 KB, 450x280
>>44390057
So,
4e then.
>>
>>44389932
LotOW? Though Warhammer historicals are long gone, I fear.
>>
>>44390100

>Not calling them Dungeons and dragons tactics
>4E ==> Furry
>>
>>44387716
There's This Is Not a Test, but I don't think it has vehicles rules.
>>
>>44387272
>>44384420
has anyone reverse engineered the chips in them?
>>
I've got two ideas for minis games I'd love to see.

Firstly a minis board game like Monsterpocalypse based on 90s super robot shows, where the heroes field multiple individually weak robots to thin out the bad guys' chaff mechs then combine to beat the big bad. Play it on a board with a typical Japanese town on it, your special rules include stuff like the train mechs spawn at railway stations and so on.

The other idea is a hack of Frostgrave for Final Fantasy 4/6/9 style stuff, so summoning temporary strong eidolons, elemental spells, blue magic and so on.
>>
>>44390057
Descent does that, doesn't it?
>>
>>44382290
Elder Scrolls. But I guess we have Scrollhammer.
>>
I'd love a Redwall miniatures game.
>>
>>44382290
Battletech, but with rules similar to X Wing or Imperial Assault.
Make a simple, mechancally sound game system with a lot of tactical and construction options, and throw out all the crap.
>>
>>44391250
Huh.
What exactly constitutes crap though?
I though one of the biggest appeals of Battletech was the degree of abstraction aside from huge stompy robots.
>>
I want a caveman fantasy skirmish game.
>>
>>44391290
Battletech is a bit crunchy. He probably wants something simple, just roll DRM dice and worry more about your next move than resolving actions.
>>
File: bloody_emus.png (56 KB, 840x836) Image search: [Google]
bloody_emus.png
56 KB, 840x836
>tfw no skirmish game set in the Great Emu War
>>
I've never gotten into miniatures but if Mordheim started back up I'd dive right in.

>tfw no fantasy vidya with XCOM mechanics
>>
>>44391310
I'm working on rules for a Primal Rage-esque game with dino-gods and cavemen retinues. Do you think there's be marketable interest out there?
>>
>>44391368
I'd play it.
>>
>>44391335
http://www.forlornhopegames.com/index.php/product/2046-emus/category_pathway-12
You can probably convert some farmers with guns pretty easily from historicals/western minis.
>>
>>44391343
Just because the game isn't officially supported anymore doesn't mean you can't play it anymore.

The next best thing that still has official support is Frostgrave I guess. Check it out, worth a look.
>>
>>44389932
Dead Mans Hand?
>>
>>44389932
>>44390347
>Though Warhammer historicals are long gone, I fear.
There was a media fire with the pdfs for the game a few weeks ago. Got it on my other pc though, so it'll be a while before I'm able to share anything.
Looking through the archive might find you the mediafire though.
>>
>>44382290
Mid 20th century combat in places like Africa and southeast asia.
>>
>>44391376
I'm trying a weird system of cards to determine actions and single roll resolutions for actions with it.
>>
>>44383413
Which makes for poor skirmish gaming, to be honest.

If you really must, however, there are games that approach it. Technically in the cyberpunk genre, Rezolution has space vampires as a faction, complete with servants they bring to the fight who can be drained to preserve the vampire's life, and are also handy gun-toting type themselves.

The Action! system (Chaos in Cairo, etc) includes a Transylvanian adaption, and Blue Moon (UK) makes the minis. I think most are still available from Old Glory in the US as well.

>>44387716
Ramshackle Games (UK) may have the game for you, but even Necromunda and Gorka Morka will fill this bill.
>>
>>44382290
A miniature skirmish game based on Yetisburg.
>>
>>44390100

I guess I should have seen that coming.

4e as a base could work, but it'd need overhauled quite a bit to make it more skirmish gamey. Heroes would need to be moved away from being PCs and into a format similar to monsters, and the entire CR system would need to be adjusted away from multiple small encounters to one big one. Magic items would be to also be worked into the stat blocks of the monsters/heroes instead of having them be addons.

>>44391188

Isn't it more of a board game? I'll still have to look into that.
>>
>>44391188
As did Warhammer Quest.
You can also use things like the dungeon expansion for Song of Blades & Heroes.

>>44391249
There's a SoBH adaption for cute-but-armed forest critters, too.
>>
>>44391290
>>44391323
Which would be the simpler forms of Battletech already in existence?
>>
>>44391368
I once started working on a skirmish game based on the bit in One Million Years BC where Raquel Welch wrassles Martine Beswick. I dropped 90% of the things people would consider to be standard wargame stats and just made a system where any time two models collide for any reason, something happens, often forced movement (that can in turn cause further collisions). There was a big emphasis on ring outs. I abandoned it after I realized that I had made a Rube Goldberg machine out of cavegirls and it wasn't fun to play.
>>
File: Femdroid-Banner.jpg (395 KB, 960x338) Image search: [Google]
Femdroid-Banner.jpg
395 KB, 960x338
Spies, something like James Bond or The Avengers (the UK series).

7TV (the genericized Doctor Who Miniatures Game) might be good for it, I've never played it.
>>
>>44391335
>Redditball

Fuck off
>>
I think a skirmish or empire spanning game in the EVE universe would be amazing.

I mean the way that the EVE Online ships function BEGS for a skirmish game. Weapon slots, upgrade slots, CPU/Powergrid allotments for upgrades, very defined ship/weapon/upgrade statistics and effects.

Could be an awesome big fleet or small skirmish game.
>>
>>44391663
>Mid 20th century combat in places like Africa and southeast asia.
AK-47 is the name. I see lots of modern Africa stuff done with it, and there are actually minis for a bunch of that.
>>
File: 1432313940094.jpg (1 MB, 3600x2652) Image search: [Google]
1432313940094.jpg
1 MB, 3600x2652
>>44382290

AAAAAANT WARS!
>>
>>44391802
While Silent Death doesn't cover the gigundous stuff at the top end of EVE, it can do a lot of it.
There is also /tg/s on-again off-again space favorite, Full Thrust.
>>
>>44391839
Not exactly ant, but considering your pic you should google pond wars.
>>
File: 6[1].jpg (381 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
6[1].jpg
381 KB, 1920x1080
A Syndicate/Syndicate Wars-style high-tech, high-life cyberpunk game would be cool
>>
>>44382290
I want to see more 1:1 games. I know that Fairy Meat and the more recent Home Invaders have that, but I want to see something fun done with the scale of warfare.

Maybe something like >>44391839's Ant Wars, but with a vein of style similar to Chitin.

I want to play armies of insectoids and other small creatures fighting each other over food for the coming winter, with objectives being snacks you bring, or just random things on the kitchen table. It could be fun.
>>
>>44392190
Human Interface
>>
I'd love to see a sci-fi or fantasy game without humans.
>>
>>44392690
Do you know twlilight?
It's set in a fantasy world that looks kind of like 'the dark crystal'.
>>
File: Gushrak.jpg (43 KB, 561x435) Image search: [Google]
Gushrak.jpg
43 KB, 561x435
>>44392726
Yeah, but not a big fan of the rules. I don't really like when games use special dice or things that can't be used for any other games to resolve actions. I dub them DRM dice.

The aesthetics are a little lacking, too. This guy is pretty cool, though.
>>
>>44382290
American Civil War. A version true to history, and a version with fantasy shit like Wizards and demons and steampunk shit.
>>
>>44392864
Oh man, really? I love the rules. They're so neat and unlike anything else I've tried. Frankly I am utterly in love with that game.

I'm working on a skirmish game myself, sort of. It's akin to something like Secret World with groups like Templars and Illuminati, but there are also going to be a U.N. task force, Vampire societies, cultists to demons and the likes. All set in modern times, so guys battling hell beasts with shotguns and high powered sniper rifles. I had a base idea some time back, but I've since scrapped that in favor of those rules for a more platoon scaled game and am re-starting the skirmish rules.
>>
File: union.jpg (204 KB, 700x383) Image search: [Google]
union.jpg
204 KB, 700x383
>>44392970

For the fantasy version have you looked at Wild West Exodus? Can't speak to the rules as I've not played myself but the miniatures are sexy and I hear good things about the game itself.
>>
>>44391851
Having customizable ships is a must though, and I was thinking more of a Firestorm Armada/Dropzone Commander miniatures game.
>>
>>44393226
Honestly, haven't gotten all the way through the rules. The use of the stones just feels too gimmicky for me. I did find a video doing a demo, which should help. Easier to see it in play than reading the concept.

You should go post over in the homebrew threads. There's a few wargamers that hang out in there, working on projects, could always use more opinions.
>>
>>44393309
Sounds neat, but I'd prefer a system not reliant on buying models. My players and I are cheap as hell.
>>
>>44393686
It threw me at first too, but once I saw it played it made more sense. The wording is a bit...off I admit. Now that I have a more solid grasp of things I love it. The setting, the rules, the models; it just oozes with character and a "I could make another boring, bog standard, cliche riddled game...or I could make something worth a damn" attitude that I just adore.

I'll probably hit up the homebrew thread once I have some more to work with. I'm also writing up a board game right now, although I literally just started on it today(have had the ideas in my head forever, just now getting anything on paper).
>>
>>44392690
Relics almost passes, there is like one human model in the whole game.
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 1024x768
>>44388496
Dracula is a family name. So it's technically correct when referring to direct relatives of Dracula such as his wives. The best kind of correct.
>>
>>44390641
Reverse engineer them to do what? We're you thinking of using it to track movement and hit points like that arcana Gollum game? Or did you just want the DLC?
>>
>>44396684
mainly for movement, hit points and the like. Ideally a computer that keeps track of everything, but interacts in a different manner than arcana Gollum

The salaryman in me says that the DLC should be server verified, but if it is local I would be surprised that it was not already with the prices on some of them
>>
>>44396784
Hmmm... good idea. It would be theoretically possible but you're certainly asking the wrong person.

>>44391839
>>44391249
1:1 is a must.

>>44391704
You think so? If you ditch of the political intrigue bullshit. You could sort of right it is a modern gangster style skirmish game but with supernatural elements to take the edge off. Health stuff like the humanity meter and blood points would be interesting to see in a wargame

>>44391793
Second.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.