[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tg/ think a health potion would taste like? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5
What does /tg/ think a health potion would taste like?

What does /tg/ think a mana potion would taste like?
>>
Medicine is good for you, but it tastes awful.

I assume it tastes of shit.
>>
File: images (3).jpg (10 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
10 KB, 194x259
Health: steak and cola.
Mana: boxed white wine with a dash of raspberry soda.
>>
Semen and wizard semen, respectively.
>>
>>44379690
There was a chart of potion flavors somewhere, haven't the slightest idea where. Think it was D&D/Pathfinder
>>
health potions taste similar to strawberry-flavoured juice

mana has a more minty, icy tea-like flavour to it
>>
Magic bitch, it can taste however the alchemist wants.

They'd probably choose shit, though, just to fuck with people.
>>
Mana is blue raspberry
Health is cherry
This is irrefutable
>>
>>44379891
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Potion_Taste_Chart_%283.5e_Other%29
>>
>>44379925
>peasant has cherry flavored health potions.
>Noble had strawberry flavored.
You just outted yourself. Get back to the fields plebe...
>>
>>44379938
That's the one. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>44379925
Red's fruit punch, you tosser. Everyone knows this.
>>
>>44379690
I remember for a while it was a thing in AD&D that health potions tasted like almonds.
>>
>>44379690
Toothpaste
Always toothpaste, regardless of what kind of potion it is.
>>
Dunno what a health potion tastes like, but a mana potion tastes like a shot glass full of diethyl ether.
>>
>>44379690
Health is either strawberry or peppermint. This is supported in a number of AD&D sources.
Mana potions are not a thing in D&D but I'd say ginger.
>>
>>44379690
Like peppered asscheeks. Seriously, why would it taste nice, it's bottled magic made from eye of newt and toe of frog.
>>
>>44379690
They both taste like shit, it's a pretty common trope that if it tastes like shit then it's good for you, unless it's literally shit
>>
>>44379690
Health: Has a strong medicinal flavor that most people try to cover with spices or sweeteners, different cultures using different things in the brew based on locale and tradition. Some of it's damn good. Some of it's awful.

Mana: Nobody can disguise that it's like drinking a lightning bolt and only the foolish try.
>>
Health potions have a metallic aftertaste not dissimilar to blood.
Mana potions are unspeakably tangy.
Both leave you feeling mighty tingly.
>>
>>44379690
Like health and mana.
IT DEPENDS ON THE INGREDIENTS.
>>
>>44379690
Burning and glitter. And honey to make it at least somewhat drinkable.
It's possible to make far nicer versions, but they're often far more expensive or far weaker than the battlefield-morphine level that an adventurer needs.

Some expensive breweries, distilleries and vineyards produce drinks with mild potion benefits. Largely just health, fortitude and disease-ridding effects. Drank more for show than any medicinal effect usually, but lords and the like who can afford it regularly who have a persistent medical condition find it useful to help in a constant light suppression of the condition.
>>
>>44379690
This >>44380085 i think it is in the 3.5 DM's guide.

That aside. I guess it would be like >>44379847 says. And people try to disguise the flavor with regional spices/sweets like >>44380911 said

I guess mana pots would taste like strong alcohol, ether or ammonia. Though i have never drink ether or ammonia but i guess thats the smell it might have upon open it
>>
File: potion.jpg (20 KB, 365x365) Image search: [Google]
potion.jpg
20 KB, 365x365
>>44379690
Really? No one?

Like shitty energy drinks: Caffeine, artificial fruit flavoring, and shame.
>>
>>44381524
Nah man, those things are watered down to shit. They're what quack doctors sell.
>>
>>44379690
Health potions taste delicously savory, and the taste lingers on your lips from minutes to days, depending on the potency.

Mana potions taste incredibly sweet - like a pound of sugar dissolved in honey (with a sprinkle of bitterness mixed in), and any excess tends to make you jumpy and keep you awake until it wears or is burned off.

This, combined with the minor stipend of appropriate potions for outstanding adventurers, is widely considered to be one of the balancing factors in the numbers of magical and physical classes.
>>
>>44379690
ethanol, and ethanol.
>>
>>44379690
GMO or organic potions?
>>
>>44379690

Salty coins and milk
>>
>>44379690
Off the top of my head, in FR and PF, healing potions are usually described as cool and soothing to drink.
>>
>>44379690
IMG, Health potions are made from a variety of herbs and often end up tasting similar to tea, though the exact flavor changes from region to region.

Mana potions come from honey from monstrous bees and are thus sweet, and even a little smoky. They also tend to be think and gloopy, and are almost chewed instead of drank.

Alchemists have also devised fire, ice and shock bombs, which can be drunk if unprimed. Firebombs tend to taste of cinnamon and strong alcohol (though will not get one drunk), icebombs are rather minty and refreshing, and shockbombs take like carbonated sour lemonade.
>>
>>44379690
Health tastes like blueberry.
Mana tastes like cherry.

This throws many people off.
>>
Question /tg/:

Who first decided that Health potions were always red and Mana/MP/whatever potions were always blue?
>>
>>44379690
Health Potion: Thick. Strong, with an alcoholic burn and a strong aromatic quality -- essentially, like cough syrup or nyquil

Mana Potion: Light, effervescent. More felt than tasted, and barely recognizable as a liquid at that. it would have a cooling effect something like mint but not really a flavor
>>
>>44384170
Diablo 1, I believe. I can't think of any other cases before that, at least.

Health potions are red, to match with the colors of HP bars, which are effectively your 'blood loss' bar. You want it to stay as red as possible.

Mana was given that color to contrast the red.

Green is also sometimes used in place of red, typically in JRPGs.
>>
File: depends.jpg (33 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
depends.jpg
33 KB, 300x300
>>44379690
There is no correct answer, not just because it's fiction, but because it's generally assumed that a setting with magical potions will not have an easy way to share knowledge worldwide, so recipes will not be standardized. You make health potions this way because an older wizard taught you this way, and it just works.
Most potions contain unnecessary ingredients, but you would never notice the error unless you decided to study that particular potion in depth and tried to improve it.
>>
Health Potion: Minty Toothpaste flavored

Mana Potion: Orange Juice the pulpy kind
>>
>>44384237
Legend of Zelda predates Diablo, and uses red/blue for potions.
>>
I had to write up a few potions for a LARP.
I tried to include descriptions when possible (You weren't supposed to actually drink them)

Health potion:
This thick concoction tastes of heavy cream and cotton. Approximately 3000 calories, drink responsibly.
>>
>>44384264
But both were health potions.
>>
>>44379690
Wine of course.
>>
>>44384237
Green is generally used for Stamina meters, for physical-based characters.

At least, that's how I've always thought of it.
>>
>>44379925
>>44379990
OHH, SNAP
PEASANT DETECTED
BACK 2 UR XBOX PLEB
>>
>>44379690
Like most peroral medicine with high doses - tolerable at first, but once you're half bottle in you realize you might not make it through. Takes some gatting used to.
>>
Do health potions go out of date? What happens?
>>
>>44384398
Clearly not seeing as how the biggest source of potions is ancient and forgotten ruins.
>>
>>44384237

NWN had green health potions
>>
>>44381019

As much as "depends on the setting" is a dumb meme answer, that's basically the answer. If you make health potions with newt eyes, or with ground up pills, it'll taste different.
>>
Health: Cherry or fruit punch
Mana: Blue. Not blueberry, just blue.
>>
Super sweet.
>>
>>44379690
Swedish Fish and whiskey, respectively.
>>
File: brown_3154095b.jpg (126 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
brown_3154095b.jpg
126 KB, 620x387
Why do health potions not taste like HP sauce?
>>
>>44379938
Shouldn't Enlarge Person be the one that smells mushroomy?
>>
>>44384424
I call bullshit on that every time it happens without being in some form of stasis.
>>
>>44379690
Bags of sand
>>
>>44384727
Maybe magic potions are like honey, they just don't go bad ever.
>>
>>44384731
Salty milk and coins?
>>
>>44381524
I had the red one of these, it indeed tastes exactly like that
got me really hyper for a little bit afterwards, though, but energy drinks always do that to me
>>
>>44379690
Health would be fruit punch. Mana would be blue powerade.
>>
>>44379690
Why do idiots still equate burnt edges as meaning old paper? Seriously, what self-respecting alchemist would use those shit labels? What kind of half-assed business are you running here?
>>
Health potions have a coppery tang and a bitter aftertaste. They tingle like an electric shock. After quaffing the imbiber's mouth will be very sensitive due to regenerative effects on the tastebuds.

Mana potions are incredibly sour and burn going down. They tend to bubble up into the sinuses, causing them to flare and open up, and for several minutes after everything smells like citrus.
>>
>>44379690
Health potion would taste like fireball whiskey. Mana potion would taste like menthol syrup. Neither would taste particularly good, but you would really feel them as they went down.
>>
>>44385087
Maybe in that setting it's traditional for alchemists to label their work with singed labels to honor the alchemists who died to their own experiments that helped pin down the useful recipes known today.

...yeah it is dumb. Also why would the labels be old at the time that adventurers use them? You're not drinking out of gross old bottles. You're drinking from flasks brewed in the commercial workshop of the alchemist's guild this time last month. And wax sealed for freshness.
>>
What happens when you carbonate Health and Mana potions?

Could we get Health and Mana Sodas?
>>
I've always liked the idea that they taste like white blood cells. You know that weird, viscous feeling/taste in your mouth when you cut/bite the inner of your cheek? That sort of taste/consistency.
>>
>>44379868
>boxed white wine with a dash of raspberry soda.
That actually sounds pretty good, especially since all wine tastes the same
>>
>>44379690
Strawberry and blueberry syrup respectively.
>>
>>44379690

One tastes like cherry coke, the other like cough syrup.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.