[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Newfag Questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1450555323361.png (500 KB, 557x786) Image search: [Google]
1450555323361.png
500 KB, 557x786
Okay so I risk like sounding like more of a fucking retard than I already am fa/tg/uys, but I'm legit wondering:
>Why does everyone hate Horus Heresy?
>What's so bad about GURPs?
>Why is there such a defined split between people who are crazy about 4e and people who absolutely hate 4e?
>What even is up with the Eldrazi? On a related note, what the fuck planeswalkers??
>Why is there always, undoubtedly, INEVITABLY a That Guy in a ttrpg group?

Pic related, he's a christmas wizard
>>
>babbys first troll
Here is your reply
>>
>44379322

something about human psychology demanding a whipping boy in any given social group probably
>>
>>44379344
Read the subject asshat. I have a bit of experience with ttrpgs, but I'm still clueless on some stuff, so if you wouldn't mind just answering a question instead of jerking yourself off atop your high horse?
>>
>>44379322

Gonna ignore the accusation that you're a troll and just answer your questions.

Writer quality varies, and most 40k fiction is fairly low quality imo. Not everyone hates it, but a lot of people do. Bad writers sour all of it.

>What's so bad about GURPS?
Nothing, really. It's a complicated system at first glance, but most people looking at it don't keep in mind that you won't use >90% of the rules GURPS has. Like, I'm setting up for a GURPS space campaign right now. We're using a grand total of 4 sourcebooks, counting the Basic Set separately, and we're not using over half of any of the books because it doesn't fit for our game. Tl;dr it takes more work than 3.5E for a GM so everyone hates it.

>Why is there such a defined split between people who are crazy about 4e and people who absolutely hate 4e?
Very different from 3.5e, far more gamified as opposed to the "deep roleplaying experience" that 3.5e players claim it was. (I have no vested interest in any edition of D&D, since I mostly play non-d20-based systems. I've played a few sessions of 3.5e and read through 5e, but no experience with 4e personally.) 4e is the MMO experience to 3.5e's CRPG. Does that make sense?

>What even is up with the Eldrazi? On a related note, what the fuck planeswalkers??
Don't play whatever this refers to, sorry.

Nature of the hobby. It's an unsatisfying answer, but "That Guy" is such a broad term that I don't know how to narrow it down for you. Traditional games attract a certain kind of people that aren't always the most mentally sound.

Any other questions, or further clarification? Tried to keep it short.
>>
>>44379484
By That Guy I mean like, munchkins, self inserts, Magical Realm players, y'know? I just don't get why the proportion of Those Guys to good regular players is so massive.

Also, was referring to MTG with the 4th question.
>>
>>44379564
>MTG
Yeah, I got nothing. Sorry.

>munchkins
Any system with rules will attract those who want to bend or break them.
>self inserts
Fuck, everyone's guilty of this to some degree. I can't really fault people as long as it isn't TOO blatant.
>Magical Realm players
/d/ leaks into /tg/. It's not really a problem outside of /tg/.

>I just don't get why the proportion of Those Guys to good regualr players is so massive

/tg/ exaggerates. A LOT.
>>
File: 1444583139743.png (124 KB, 500x587) Image search: [Google]
1444583139743.png
124 KB, 500x587
>>44379322

...because if you have no strong feelings one way or another you don't have a reason to say anything?
>>
>>44379769
You know what I meant. Why is it so 50/50? For every person I've seen trash talking the system (to be fair, I have problems with it too), there's always someone defending it vehemently. It's not like I see it with any other game editions, so I was just wondering.
>>
>>44379322
I'm not that savvy on WH40K
>What's so bad about GURPs?
It's a complicated system to run, and some grognards are very vocal about it being able to do anything, to the point where any "which system can I run X in" thread is instantly replied to with "GURPS"... that behaviour is bound to attract haters since, whil a higly complex setting agnostic system as GURPS would be able to run anything, people asking those questions are usually looking for easy to run systems, otherwise they'd just design their own stuff
3.PF kept the convoluted system that grognards loved, while having shitloads of splats, attracting also any blue haired half-lolicatgirl players. 4e took away the mary sueness of most classes by turning every one of them into one. 4e is higly balanced in comparisson to 3.PF not because of higly intelligent design, but something more akin to turning every piece of a chessboard into a queen. New players and more casual ones love it because it's easy to run and play, while old players and number cruncher ones hate it
Eldrazi are like antibodies that clean the multiverse form older planes stopping it from imploding and making way for new ones. They got sealed by nahiri and Edward Cullen, but released again by Yolandi Visser. Every planeswalker has a reason to interact with them, most, if not all of them, are wrong.
Planeswalkers are magical mary sues that can travel the planes and summon creatures and stuff, pretty much what you can do in a game.
Because the hobby i marketed mostly to people with low social skills and understanding of empathy, hygiene and how to behave in general
>>
>>44381018
No I know the lore of them but I mean like, the cards. I run a Rakdos deck and either the planeswalkers don't fit, or they're like, pieces of shit? Also, why they're so unbalanced?

Also, why people seem to hate Eldrazi decks, I mean? Their risk vs reward seems pretty high to me, don't see why they're called op.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.