[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40kRPG General Happy Emperors Day Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 17
File: 1449276642240.png (162 KB, 600x255) Image search: [Google]
1449276642240.png
162 KB, 600x255
For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.

Book Repositories (mega is more comprehensive and up to date)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

Enemies Without:
https://my.mixtape.moe/jbsyqt.pdf

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armour and NPCs/adverseries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v5.43.150418), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Not updated with any DH2 content.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.5.1), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kpl4pvkdiidvg6n/Fear_and_Loathing.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/nf19t1z8p2prwrx/The_Fringe_is_Yours.pdf

Remember, ask a specific question, we'll be happy to help. But if you're vague, we'll tell you to make your players fight necrons. Probably.

So have you been a good, loyal subject this year, /40krpg/?
>>
>>44373593
Did any of you run Christmas themed games?

Happy feast of the emperor's ascension everyone.
>>
Could have played a bit on christmas eve but some other friends not involved in the hobby were present, ended up in one of them playing a bit of bloodborne instead. Then the usual eating and drinking.
>>
File: 1216574415763.jpg (44 KB, 700x350) Image search: [Google]
1216574415763.jpg
44 KB, 700x350
these threads routinely die and require bump support to rescue them from sliding from page 9. perhaps you should wait out a little bit more before creating a next one.

having said that, how did your last session go, cuntnuggets?
>>
>>44375045

A general by definiton should always be running.
Also I got killed by a special ops former acolyte who boltered me to the chest.
Luckily it was from blood loss so after burning my fate point I wound up still a -4 health.
>>
Does anyone else think that the dark eldar should have more support?
I wish there were real cults for Xenos Hybris cults.
>>
>>44375045
>>44375316
While he is right, it is also Christmas so people aren't playing games which leads to no questions or stories about games which means no discussion, however the idea of a thread always going just because is cancerous
>>
>>44373593
Running a ONLY WAR campaign soon and wanted some perspective on the purpose and use of "comrades". It seems to me they should be treated with a model on the combat mat, but at the same time not act as actual units. This seems strange to me, can someone clarify as to what they actually are in game terms?
>>
File: 1287582422889.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1175) Image search: [Google]
1287582422889.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1175
>>44375316
see, this is exactly why you never get replies to your stories. I want details. Who was the spec ops? What kind of spec ops? How did the rest of the party react? What did you do to piss the acolyte off? Don't do half-assed job, anon.
>>
>>44376223
Walking talking attack bonuses, as well as the occasional bullet catcher
>>
>>44376223
They only need a model if they're not in cohesion, otherwise their chance to get hit is ridicolously low
>>
>>44376473
>>44377463
Huh, Weird.
>>
>>44377751
Personally I have them act like full-fledged NPCs only if the player would otherwise be alone or other similar scenarios. In most normal circumstances they'd just be extra paperwork. In the same way, I advise my players not to task them with any important task without player supervision. Carrying some stuff around is fine, guarding a prisoner is not.
>>
>>44378009
Honestly I was thinking about having them be extra bodies for the players squad that they loosely controlled, akin to Red Shirts from Star Trek. This way I could have a higher death rate without actually killing off the players insanely.
>>
>>44378050
That's literally one of the points of having Comrades. Or in the case of Rogue Trader PCs, armsmen. It's gotten to the point that my players have a standard list of names for armsmen mostly drawn from redshirt names and jokes about that. Also the curiously omnipresent Jenkins family.
>>
>>44378433
Glad to be on point then.
>>
>>44378050
Yeah. Look at the comrades section in the combat section and what almost every career gets advances for comrades.

If they aren't using them each an every turn for bonuses in combat, they're either unaware of them, are stupid, or are planning something.
>>
>ran the first session of my dark heresy game 2 weeks ago, the idea was to do 2-3 shorter sessions a week
>people didnt show/didnt tell me they couldnt make it in advance for the other 2 sessions that week
>everyone away last week
>people flaked this week as well, even though i was ready to go while being jetlagged
DMing is suffering
i just want to run my game damnit
>>
>>44379285

Sounds like you need a better group.
This in person or online?
>>
>>44379285
online, though i know everyone in person
i get that its the holidays but its pretty annoying when its impossible for 5 people to set aside a few hours in the evening to play
>>
>>44379419
>>44379454
meant for that post
>>
>>44379285
>>44379419
sounds like you're a terrible DM. People don't go through the trouble of finding a game only to leave after session one. Have you thought about that? Of course you haven't.
>>
can anyone advise what good is perception without trained Awareness skill?
>>
>>44381706
It keys onto Survival and Scrutiny as well, both very useful skills.
>>
How much pull or what sort of position would my highborn administratum seeker have if he starts with 2 ranks of peer (administratum) from starting exp spending?
>>
>>44382306
2 ranks of Peer(Administratum)? Sounds like you can go and request access to all papers that aren't classified just by virtue of your standing.

Then again, this is the Administratum we are talking about, so you might need to fill out three different forms in three different dialects of High Gothic first, and get each of them stamped three times in three different places.
>>
>>44382393
Well, I might need to only sign those papers and get some lower-ranked administratum guys to do the rest.
>>
How often is your party awarded with ranks in skills or talents in addition to or in lieu of exp?
>>
>>44383859

Not ever, though my dm did offer to let us train in a skill for reduced XP cost.
>>
>>44381706
>>44381733
Also, Psyniscience if you happen to be a psyker.
>>
>>44383859
I give situational bonuses depending on the roleplay but giving out free skills and talents would be a major deal since it could mean more than 1000 xp worth of stuff sometimes, so no chance. If they do something cool there's always medals to have small bonuses.
>>
>>44376355

But I don't care about replies to stories I was just trying to make my post seem less pointless
But if you insist:

>Inquisitor orders us to capture groups of three assassins
>one group is just a well trained former acolyte fed up with the system
>think the punisher, but grimmer
>arrive on the planet where the three groups supposedly are
>punisher is our first target
>apparently spotted in a rebellious town
>we try to sneak our way in, get caught by rebels and thrown in jail
>just so happens our cellmate is the punisher
>with a bit of trickery we smash in the guards face and steal his keys, breaking into the garage and fleeing the prison by car
>as we're driving and being chummy I strike from the back seat, hitting him with a warhammer
>he's hurt but dives out of the car
>car starts to spin out
>we dive out and take a lot of damage
>since he jumped out first punisher has his bolters armed and pointed at us
>not wanting to be take prisoner we charge
>he shoots at me first, boltering me in the chest
>survive first shot, manage to club him before second shot knocks me to -4 and initates bleeding
>partner manages to shoot the punisher to unconsciouness as a slowly bleed out of my chest
>I "die" with no negatives because of blood loss
>Punisher's former Inquisitor happy we captured target alive
>mission accomplished
>>
>>44381706
Depending on the system, Perception is also required for certain talents, so you may want to get that to +30
>>
>>44387041

Can non-psykers use psynicience?
The DH2E book says there are some situations where they can but doesn't elaborate. Later in the book it says they must have a psy level to use.
Which is it?
>>
>>44394970
Considering it's the equivalent of D&D arcana check, you need some inclination (i..e psy level) to use it.
>>
>>44394970
you generally need to be a psyker to learn it, but if you can gain it some other way you can use it without being a psyker.

there's a tier 3 talent in enemies within that lets non-psykers learn it, and it RT everyone with the Footfallen homeworld gets it.
>>
>>44395122
Don't forget the Witch Hunter Alternate Career in Rogue Trader also gives you that, on account of you knowin' all 'bout them witches.
>>
>>44375045
Our DM has been forced to grudgingly concede that melee is actually viable in DH2, as my chainsword and board berserker assassin singlehandedly tore a bloody swath through a small army of unlucky heretics.
>>
>>44395393
Man, I see people use shields so damn little. How do you use it?
>>
>>44396528
Isn't a Shield just a +15 to Parry or something, and a few extra AP to the arm and body? Makes sense to have one if you're not dual wielding and using a one handed weapon.
>>
>>44396861
depending on the system and the power level, that's a lot of bonuses in one common availability package
>>
We just started to play DH (2nd ed) and I have a question.

What is the normal modification for dodge?
Does it count as an Ordinary roll and you get a +10 modification?
>>
>>44397261
+0
>>
>>44396861
>>44397155
Also get a Suppression Shield and stun niggas left and right.
>>
>>44397325
What about parry?

And isn't dodge a bit OP? You can do just same things as with parry, except you can also dodge ranged attacks. I know you can get +10 with balanced, but it's much better to also be able to dodge ranged attacks.
>>
>>44397261
Dodging an attack with the intent to kill you? That's Challenging right there.
>>
>>44397367
The same.
Also Parry:
+10 with balanced
+15 with a Shield
If you are Melee your WS is probably around 5-10 point higher than your Ag.
Get a Power weapon and rape everything in sight.
Also back in 1st ed. Parry wasn't a skill. I still prefer it that way.
>>
>>44376024
>https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg
>fucking heresy
>>
>>44397423
I wish! But getting a power weapon seem to be nearly impossible being Very Rare :( Even getting a Chain Sword seem to be tricky.
>>
>>44397261
Normal modifier is +0. If you are ambushed, if you haven't spotted where is the fire coming from, etc. - it's at -30. You can get bonuses if you perform maneuvers like guarded attack.
>>
This might be a language issue since English is my second language but what is Scrutiny and in what situation do you use it?What is the difference between Scrutiny and Awareness?

Example, let's say your character enters an office and wants to find some secret documents. Would it be Scrutiny or Awareness?
>>
>>44397261
-20 if untrained
>>
>>44397711
Awareness is usual perception (seeing/hearing something), scrutiny is getting little details (including body language, so you use it to spot lies and the like). Sometimes there might be a bit of overlap between the two, in that case I'd let you use the most favourable.
>>
>>44397711
Awareness is noticing things, Scrutiny is noticing the details
>>
>>44397743
>>44397830
I see, so if the documents are not hidden lying on the table, I'd notice it with Awareness. But if the documents are behind a pile of other documents I could find it by Scrutiny.

And sometimes they can be used for same purpose.

Thank you.
>>
>>44397576
You don't buy a Power weapon, silly. You pry it from the cold dead fingers of your enemies. Or allies. Or you cash in one of the favours the Imperial elite owes you. Or you simply blackmail them. You are fucking Inquisition. Act like it.
>>
File: combat techpriest.jpg (641 KB, 1036x764) Image search: [Google]
combat techpriest.jpg
641 KB, 1036x764
Here's a question. In Rogue Trader, pretty much every standard weapon allowed for the wrist-mounted option, except for flamers.
Is there any crunch-reason why they don't allow you to shoot gouts of fire from your bare hands?
>>
>>44373593
Regimental Quartermaster gives Only War players a munitorum crate, from the ancient depths of strategic stockpiles. Inside, they find:
>A comm-bead. It works fine, except sometimes it picks up transmissions which are filled by screams, moans and ethereal voices.
>A demolitions manual. It is filled with deadly mistakes.
> A set of enemy uniform, weapons and documents
>A secret clearance code for calling in area saturation orbital strikes
>A piece of jewellery. Will the squad realize it is actually a Best Craftsmanship Rosarius before they sell it to the nearest ratling?
>An unstable vortex grenade. It works just fine, but could go off if simply dropped on the floor or shaken too much.
>Ten thousand thrones
>A signed paper from Lord-Commissar, ordering an execution of a trooper. The only thing which is missing is the name of the person to be punished.
>Black Legion Bolter. It is pointy and easy to cut yourself with, unwieldy, covered in human skin, has only 5 shells in the magazine, but is absolutely devastating.
>Neurowhip. It looks like it belonged to Sister Repentia Mistress and bears the heraldry of Sororitas.
>The crate is filled with letters from home, which were supposed to be delivered to neighboring regiment. Some have picts with hot girls.

What else does your Regimental Quartermaster have in his strategic stockpiles?
>>
>>44397878
Not quite. Both would be Awareness - though the latter would be at a higher difficulty. Managing to notice what's written on either would be Scrutiny.
>>
>>44397878
No, scrutiny would be noticing the strange red stains on the documents and realizing they belonged to a wax seal that's been scraped off to keep the identity of whoever stamped them a secret.
>>
>>44398016
Shit, that's EPIC!
I'm stealing all those for a scenario when they get that crate by accident: they discover that there's a high-clearance infiltration agent in the regiment who was supposed to be getting these supplies. What's his mission? Will they be found out? Will he hunt them down?
And the ending: the agent dies because he didn't have essential gear. He was an Inquisitorial agent, and his master turns up and finds out what happened: the PCs then have to do the mission themselves - a mission that they weren't exactly trained to do...
>>
>>44399989
Inglorious Bastards in the 41st millennium of man?
>>
Full auto or semi auto?
>>
>>44401895
Which system? This is important.

If it's DW or earlier, then Full-Auto. If BC or later - pretty much the same.
>>
In Black Crusade, would it be too powerful to allow alternate appropriate (and base, no unnatural or daemonic being counted and stuff) characteristics to be used instead of Willpower for bonus damage and pen on daemon weapons like strength or weapon skill for a khornate daemon or agility and fellowship for a slaanesh daemon?
>>
>>44396528
Well for me, it mostly comes down to loading up on AP. Feudal Plate doesn't have that Primitive Quality anymore, so it's basically a clunkier, heavier Carapace armor you can get at chargen. Combine that with a shield and that's 7 AP, and 4 TB if you rolled decently/bought enough advances. 11 DR neutralizes most of the hits your dodge roll doesn't.

Best of all, my assassin's a Feudal Worlder (Seph Sec specifically), so he doesn't get any agility penalty when clanking about, and can sneak and dodge and cartwheel like it's not even there.
>>
>>44402297
Potentially.
The real question is why you'd want to?
When they're discorporated and have had their essence impregnated into a weapon, why should their physical power or personality matter? It's their potency of will which determines their power with Warp Effects.

Plus Daemon Weapons are supposed to have an inherent tradeoff between their power (Willpower) and their difficulty in being controlled (Willpower again).
>>
>>44398016
When they're going to roll high enough Imma give them an Inquisition-sealed box with an eldar soulstone inside it. It's gonna belong to a relative of the eldar accompanying the rogue trader involved in the campaign. As a matter of fact, everything they got by mistake actually belonged to the rogue trader, those grav-chutes and high provender crates were for a party he was putting together. He's pretty pissed off.
>>
What is the least amount of stuff your party had to work with and still managed to do whatever it is they had to?
>>
>>44404755
In RT game of mine, there was a gellar field flicker which resulted in pack of daemons manifesting onboard, taking form of PCs and impersonating them by ordering their arrest and taking control over the ship.
They had to start a prison riot which ended in a full-scale ship revolt to overthrow "themselves" having literally nothing but prisoner robes and their wits to work with.
>>
>>44404755
There were four of us. We started with the clothes on our backs, three pair of boots, a pair of mechadendrites, some armour, a microbead, a combitool, one shotgun. We managed to beat back a gang of 6 armed thugs that had beef with one of us and also a boarding torpedo full of heavily armed and angry boarders while trapped in a 2x4 meters room.
>>
>>44397977
I suppose it's more difficult to adjust the nozzle accurately enough to prevent injury of the operator.
Also, just reverse-fluff hydra flamer array from Enemies Within DH2 splatbook.
>>
File: 1344795768243.jpg (274 KB, 1061x1210) Image search: [Google]
1344795768243.jpg
274 KB, 1061x1210
>>44375045
>Turns out, our inquisitor and his lord-inquisitor waifu were consorting with the FUCKING ELDAR, something we didn't really know at the time
>But a hardcore puritan inquisitor (let's call her N) from another sector does
>And wants to have the xenophiles gone
>That includes both lord inquisitor's and our cells
>Our vehicle gets caught into well-executed ambush by N's stormtroopers
>One member burns a fate point to survive after getting doused with burning promethium one too many times
>We get very fashionable explosive collars and are sent to the radical inquisitor's safehouse to scout way for her troops, being promised 'employment opportunities' should we do well and survive
>Joke's on you, stupid bitch this planet is our main base of operations and we have our own stormtroopers platoon with valkyries stationed here
>Who have also been tracing us and waiting for orders
>Two collars come off as soon as we are inside a subterran tunnel leading to the safehouse
>Third party memeber fails his tech-use test, loses mot of his face and eardrums
>Another member is caught in a blast and is in negatives after the previous encounter
>Burns antoher fate point to survive, spilling salt everywhere in the process
>Resuscitate the faceless memeber and get into the chamber
>FUCKING ELDAR THERE. Also, our inquisitors
>N is quite upset about us removing the collars, gives her troops the order to attack
>nuh-huh.jpg
>Our valks just got in position
>Alpha strike unsuspecting enemy into oblivion
>Eventually manage to disable N's Rhino, knock out bodyguards and thrwart N' attempt to use Fulton recovery system to escape
>After protracted battle, K.O. the inquisitor
>Eldar vacate the premises in the meantime

Pic related, it's the fucking eldar
>>
>>44405923
FUCKING ELDAR

I HATE ELDAR SO GOD DAMNED MUCH

FUCKING SPACE ELVES REEEE

I feel your pain.

I've got two types of Eldar in my group, farseer and wych
>>
>>44405923
When Inquisitor Queen Bitch broke out the fucking Fulton I was about to lose my shit

Good thing you popped that shit
>>
File: I AM DUMBLEDOORE.jpg (168 KB, 650x934) Image search: [Google]
I AM DUMBLEDOORE.jpg
168 KB, 650x934
>>44406064
Because the Eldar will
- give you up
- let you down
- turn around and betray you
at a moment's notice without any hestitation and act surprised if you get pissed off.
Sure, OOC having an Eldar waifu is cool, but IC this is the worst decision ever. I'd rather ally with a Tyranid because at least you know what to expect from them than these dysfunctional pricks with over-inflated self-esteem.
>>
>>44406382
My ork has a soulstone he looted, the two eldar are unaware of it being in my posession, but are searching frantically for it.

I am hoping they'll kill one another over it.
>>
File: 1450510181079.jpg (12 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1450510181079.jpg
12 KB, 251x242
"The Imperial Creed means peace!"

"We respect Xenos."

"True Imperial Creed is tolerant."

"We are proud to be Mon-keigh...
Gue'vesa...
Humies..."
>>
File: 1436794381035.png (1 MB, 2085x3020) Image search: [Google]
1436794381035.png
1 MB, 2085x3020
>>44406225
brofist.jpg

I still feel a bit bad about conning the DM into letting me attack it as a reaction even though he made it clear he'll have his vengeance.
>>
>>44407418
>The Imperial Creed means peace
Yeah, there's a piece of you over there, over there, over there...
>>
Just glanced through my new Ordo Hereticus book but I gotta go to work so can someone please explain what exactly inquests are?

From what I can tell they seem like auto-adventures. Just a way to simulate things you do that are plot relevant off screen. You even gate influence and experience IIRC.
Seems counter intuitive.
>>
File: IT'S ONLY JUST BEGUN.jpg (319 KB, 400x395) Image search: [Google]
IT'S ONLY JUST BEGUN.jpg
319 KB, 400x395
>>44408736
They're the new expeditions/compacts,designed to be a little more player directed. Players dictate an End-Goal, something like "Stop this cult doing the bad stuff" or "stop the arch-heretic Octavion Rumple". As the GM runs them through these story-lines, the players investigate further into their goal. They can find evidence, witnesses or whatever the plot runs on, and they get abstract points for doing it. Inquests have milestones, which should be some sort of big reveal but not the complete puzzle. They might learn that Octavion Rumple is going to poison a Church, but they don't know how. The next milestone would be "How? When?" The why is unecessary, because Heretics are all bellends. It's a rough guideline to run simplistic adventures and it puts a lot of the narrative framework off the GMs back, the players determine who they're after and how. GM just has to rub two brain-cells together to come up with what's in-between.

>>44408046
You fucking know I will.
>>
Can anyone recommend me any alternatives to GW's overpriced minis for tabletop? I'm looking for stuff to use for my DH game.
>>
>>44373593
you got a non-mega link? i can't get the plugin to install properly
>>
>>44373593
there are better xeno rules at lodge blackman games/dark reign
>>
>>44405923

Eldar are skittish assholes, what were you expecting?

Fucking Puritans ruin everything.
>>
File: 1271674965884.jpg (193 KB, 750x710) Image search: [Google]
1271674965884.jpg
193 KB, 750x710
>>44409966
I had expected our inquisitor to, you know, be aware of that and stay away from the alien filth.
but nooo, the Eldar have some knowledge about a big threat which humanity cannot defeat by itself for some reason and requires help of miserable failures on a galatic scale.

I wouldn't be probably fuming so muh about the it if it wasn't for the fact this got us in such a trouble with otherwise exemplary servant of the Emperor whose time and attention would better be spent eradicating actual threats.
>>
>>44409920

That's a matter of opinion. I think the ones in the OP are better.
>>
>>44410319

Also the "Fringe is yours" is borked in preview.
>>
>>44410120

Oh yeah, "hands-on" inquisitors who insist on doing everything themselves without giving the players a chance to fail are awful too.

"You acolytes see if the filthy xenos are on the up and up, I have puritans - and other radicals - to outmanuver" is doing it right
>>
File: 1384983137610.jpg (134 KB, 709x1200) Image search: [Google]
1384983137610.jpg
134 KB, 709x1200
>>44410523
Technically, in 40k being in a position of power automatically means you're right.

Not being able to conceal one's dealings with xenos isn't okay, however.
>>
>>44410656

I personally prefer a much more byzantine imperium that is torn between the kill em all types, the reasonable types, and the dangerous types. No one's entirely sure who's calling the shots, and while things may be bad, there are still things worth fighting for. We must imagine Sisyphus happy.
>>
>>44410656
>>44410523
Our DH2 inquisitor is either a heretic or dangerously incompetent. Our acolyte cell was given a charge of a hive world, but while we try to stop Nurgle cults from turning everything in to shit we have deal with other inquisitorial agents impeding our investigations and helping the cultists. Agents who are working for our own inquisitor or his old acolytes supposedly gone rogue.

I could deal with them operating on our turf without telling us, working for the enemy or whatever, directly impeding our investigation and trying to fuck us over, but what I can't deal with is that they let themselves get caught, failing to eat their cyanide pills and then they get bailed out by our inquisitor without even a slap on the wrist for fucking up whatever they were supposed to be doing. This sort of thing has happened more than once.

Either our inquisitor is running his organisation without knowing what anyone in it is doing or he is intentionally making things difficult.
>>
>>44410656
>>44410792

I would have preferred rules for xeno campaigns instead of trying to wedge xeno PC's into an imperium game.
>>
>>44410792
As the GM in question, I can assure you that that is the case. But the Dangerous types tend to make the headlines because the reasonable types aren't leaving nail-bombs in your shoes while the Reasonable ones are busy leaving you alone to deal with actual Heresy beyond the Inquisitions own halls.
>>
File: 1303110137343.jpg (136 KB, 780x482) Image search: [Google]
1303110137343.jpg
136 KB, 780x482
>>44410792
our campaign is just that, actually. We didn't know who was until after after we made our choices.
technically, everybody was in the right, but also made mistakes of different kind. It wasn't even shades of grey morality scenario, all parties had committed acts punishable under imperial law, it was just the matter of striking first and getting the upper hand.
>>
>>44397576
Three helpful hints for being more successful at Requisitions.

1. Request it from your friends (people you have the Peer talent with)
2. Have somebody in the group with Commerce. A Commerce check before Requisition can give big bonuses.
3. Remember, if all else fails, you can burn 1d5 Influence to just get the damn thing.
>>
>>44413509
>3. Remember, if all else fails, you can burn 1d5 Influence to just get the damn thing.
really?
>>
>>44375045
>how did your last session go?
So to sum up our game, we're a poor-as-fuck RT family with a measly Profit Factor of 30, our own crappy colony world of Haven (An ocean world way off the usual warp routes and nominally within the borders of another RT house's sprawling space empire), and two ships: A Jericho Pilgrim Ship that originally colonized our home planet, and a recently-acquired Dauntless Light Cruiser that is creepy as shit.
We're going out to look for Dad and his Turbulent that mysteriously vanished some time ago, along with our warrant, but we are keeping that little detail locked the fuck down for obvious reasons. This session we were at a space station prepping to head into the Unknown Reaches of the sector for the hunt. Which means, shopping time!
Along with shopping for gear, specialist ammo, and everyone getting mesh armor for the next time the plot demands that we hang out in areas where our Tempestus Carapace armor is deemed impolite, we had to load up our ship's armsmen, which meant wheeling and dealing to buy a flak jacket, flak helmet, boarding sword, and shotgun for about 5k armsmen, instead of them using improvised armor and whatever guns they made in their homes.
We decided to go ahead and, while we were emptying our cash vaults, buy some crew improvements. These are fluffed as bundle deals of minor perks for the crew, and the GM asked us what exactly we were doing for them. The eventual perks package was new uniforms, new pillows for all, better training for armsmen, legitimizing the better moonshiners to shut down the liquor black market and let the men get their booze on post-shift, and a weekly ration of Guard-grade synth-choc. The GM decided this counted as Good-quality and made us haggle like mad for it as the RT and seneschal ran around the station bargaining and intimidating merchants, but we got it. Now we're heading out into the unknown and have split up our two ships for now to cover more ground.
>>
File: bait for the bait god.png (20 KB, 209x200) Image search: [Google]
bait for the bait god.png
20 KB, 209x200
>>44379995
>>
What is the worst your group has fucked up a mission?
>>
File: Capital.jpg (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Capital.jpg
52 KB, 500x500
>>44407024
>>
>>44417829

>not getting the crew some hot ass heretical Tau Porn
>>
How khornate is your character?
>>
>>44419934
he's not all *that* khornate, but rather, he's kind of like kroeger from angel exterminatus, before he went full BERZERKER.
he also uses frenzon, so that state of mind can change pretty quickly
>>
>>44417829
>he GM decided this counted as Good-quality and made us haggle like mad for it as the RT and seneschal ran around the station bargaining and intimidating merchants, but we got it.
sounds like a solid group 8/10, would plunder the uncharted reaches with
>>
>>44420241
For some further details, our vessel is a Dauntless-class we bought for an incredibly low price at a pirate station we'd ended up in. Turns out we maybe should have asked a lot more questions than we did, because it's a former Navy long-range patrol ship. And it was on sale at a pirate station because its death cult got out of hand, its captain declared he would tear the cult out by the roots if it killed him, because Navy discipline demanded it, and...the cult won, took it to a pirate station, and wanted to get rid of it ASAP. It's an insanely creepy ship full of more warring splinter cults than you can shake a bolter at, and the FUCKING tenebro-maze installed on it has been played for an insane amount of comedy and paranoia, because it's like living in a Scooby-Doo mansion.
Our GM lovingly narrated one incident where I had to go an hour and five decks out of my way to travel 40 meters vertically...and once I was on the other side I found a secret passage leading back right where I started that came out behind a holo-bulkhead. So I had just wasted an hour of frustrated searching and travel through the maintenance passages worrying that at any moment I'd be attacked by a cultist or a headcrab or a rat swarm or some shit. My subsequent enraged assault on every bulkhead within 40 meters revealed ANOTHER secret passage containing an insanely creepy shrine full of skulls and weird crystals set into the walls and hanging from the ceiling. And the floor was covered in fresh blood. Our flagship, ladies and gentlemen.
>>44419719
Tau porn? That's a whipping. With a neural scourge, fifty lashes.
>>
>>44376223
They're effectively there to force a sense of unit cohesion for smaller playing groups. Can make the game feel like a more in-depth game of Kill Team if you put a lot of emphasis on combat.
>>
What's a good way to scale your party so you don't throw encounters that are too hard at them.
>>
>>44422901
DH2 has a very rough guideline in its Adversaries chapter, all the NPCs have a rough point value and you build an encounter with a point total of whatever it gives you for the XP bracket the PCs are in, and how many PCs there are.
>>
>>44422927
What if I'm playing classic DH We've got 4 2000~xp acolytes
>>
>>44423098
That's still pretty average. I'd say just think about it as if you were a player. Would you look at what was waging into the battle and say "Fuck this GM" or would you think it's manageable?

I tend to have a few different combats, easy ones to let the players show off and feel good about themselves, a challenge and a combat they're not meant to win. The latter is if they march up to the Heretics den and kick in the door in the second session with no preparation. Those are no holds barred, whatever could happen happens.

The challenges I tend to attempt to counter one of the PCs weaknesses, not fully exploit it, just prod it a bit. My current party has no melee characters and rely entirely on things being dead before they're within twenty metres of them. If something slips through stealthily or attacks from an unexpected angle and has a melee weapon or a flamer, the group are in for a rough time. Othertimes a sniper may attempt to incapacitate the groups sniper first and eliminate their long-range advantage while more average troops attempt to close the distance. Mull it over a bit and you'll figure it out, the stats aren't what makes a fight tough, it's how you use them.
>>
>>44406225
>>44408046
>>44408919
>aw shit
The best part of rpg threads is when the party and the gm end up bantering back and forth.
>>44409842
Don't use the yiff browser.
>>
>>44419934
He is a silent hunter from a feral world, doesn't speak often, and then only in broken low Gothic.
This is not due to idiocy, but choosing to honor his homeworld. He knows how to shoot, and is pretty good at it, but loves to stalk his prey, human, xeno, whatever, before striking it down in a single blow from his massive sword (phallic symbol).
He does, however, place much faith in blood rituals, such as marking himself in virgin's blood while praying to the Emperor.
>>
>>44424874
The better part is when you don't know if it's actually your GM or someone else with a similar story to yours (Help I got set on fire how can I stop it happening again?)
>>
>>44422901

DESU Dark Heresy is pretty easy to balance since everything is so deadly.
Every combat theoretically should threaten your party by the very nature of being in combat.
>>
>>44427618
This.
For example, anything with a Fear rating, or any weapon that involves fire immediately kicks the battle to the next level because of how instantly incapacitating those are.
That said, any battle should either be able to be avoided or fled from, and if they can't, you are pretty much doing it wrong, barring specific circumstances.
The PRO way to do it is to look at the situation and build from there. You are not going to make orks easy to fight, period. What, are you going to have them run into 1-3 boys at a time, always, a single nob by himself, no squigs, no grots, no snots? Is that underhive gang gonna be rocking bolters, a complement of flak armor and grenades, or use all that with picture perfect accuracy?
No, you dolt. Your inquisitor should not be sending people on duties they reasonable can't fulfill, because while people can be replaced, TIME WASTED CAN NOT, and sending the inept on tasks they are likely to fail at is a waste of time.
The benefit of working in an established setting is that there are norms to work with, so operate within those parameters, but don't fear curveballs. The warband investigating Cold Trade weren't too surprised nor happy they bumped into a squad of kabalite warriors.
>>
How do you handle fear and insanity points in OW? Do you ask for checks as often as you can, like when combat starts/someone gets wounded/goes into critical/dies, or the PCs are exposed to unknown alien threats/hellish bombardments/scenes of brutal violence? Or do you just enforce them when absolutely required by crunch effects?

I never asked for fear checks during the "tutorial" campaign as it was a series of low intensity firefights against human rebels, but now that orks are roaming around I want to up the pace, considering that all orks have intimidate and nobs have a fear rating I'd say it's reasonable. The squad sniper almost ran off alone in the dark if not for his sacred inscription and the sergeant ended up vomiting for the whole fight, the first time a nob came screaming out of a flaming house.
>>
>>44431888
If an NPC has a fear rating, the players are required to roll a fear check against it. The creature is always scary, it doesn't decide "Oh initiative got rolled, better spook 'em".
>>
>>44432304
You seem to imply I said the contrary.
>>
>>44432345
I was referring to
> Do you ask for checks as often as you can, like when combat starts
If you as a GM feel there's a basis that drama could occur, or that the players are witnessing something that warrants a Fear check or gain of IP, then that's up to you entirely.
>>
>>44432383
That wasn't referring to the fear rating some encounters can have. Untrained conscripts may flee at the mere notion of having to actually fight, so you might ask for a check at the start of combat.
>>
>>44413509
>3. Remember, if all else fails, you can burn 1d5 Influence to just get the damn thing.

In DH ed2, what is this burn 1d5 influence you are talking about?
>>
>>44413509

That's a houserule, right?
I've never heard of this shit.
>>
>>44433466
>>44433558
Under losing influence in the sacrifice section.
>>
Hey guys playing DH2nd edition and I have a player who has a "Braizer" I believe and it gives him a +40 to command tests and he's abusing the shit out of it.
Does anyone know if this actually exists because I can't find it in the DH2e rulebook
>>
>>44434503
It does not.
There's an archeotech torch from Rogue Trader that gives a much smaller bonus to Command checks, but nothing of the magnitude of +40.

For comparison, a test to command undyingly loyal troops only garners a +30 bonus.
>>
File: 08c1e45388[1].jpg (163 KB, 579x459) Image search: [Google]
08c1e45388[1].jpg
163 KB, 579x459
>>44434503
Enemies Within, and it's +30. Why'd you allow him to have it if you think it's broken?
>>
>>44434549
I think he said it's a "Holy Item" or something like that, it's something that believes in you I think?

I'm not sure if there's not anything like that in this system and I just want to make sure that it's entirely not in there.
>>
>>44434503
What can you possibly do with Command that's all that broken?
>>
>>44434655
Command is great for helping your followers/minions/fellow players avoid failing Fear checks.
>>
>>44434709
I guess.
>>
>>44434629
>A common item
>+30 to Charm and Command
Jesus Christ
>>
File: ss.jpg (36 KB, 359x324) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
36 KB, 359x324
>>44434629
>+30
>>
>>44434777

But...but...FFG is always balanced!
>>
>>44434629
Wasn't me it's the DM
I'm just doing invest to fuck him over because he's actively trying to get me killed for having a higher rank than him
>>
>>44434985
Said no one ever. Full auto has always been a problem in the old systems and autocannons are so much better than other weapons it's embarassing.
>>
>>44433844
I found it, thank you (p269)

>Sacrifice:
>In desperate situations, an Acolyte may be forced to sacrifice his resources or reputation to accomplish a goal. This could mean calling in a major favour, requesting an onerous task of, and thereby alienating, an ally, or even sending allies or servants on a suicide mission. When attempting an Influence test, before rolling, an Acolyte may choose to decrease his Influence by 1d5 in order to automatically succeed. If degrees of success are important, the Acolyte is considered to have achieved a number equal to his Fellowship bonus. Note that in situations where no test is possible, this use of Influence cannot be made: the situation is beyond even the Acolyte’s
ability, or the item is impossible to acquire

I will bring this up with my GM. It would greatly help me to get a power sword, even if it means -1d5 in this game
>>
Would aquiring a Eviscerator be anoying for the gm ir the rest of my group? I'm playing a noble heirophant who are mostly a fellowship character. I'm getting rekt in combat. How ever i dream of purging heretics with a flamer and an Eviscerator, like any good priest.

What do you think, cheesy? (2d10 rendering)
>>
>>44436775
Very powerful if you manage to hit anybody with it.
>>
>>44419934
He's that 11 DR assassin mentioned earlier, a child soldier from a minor noble house, who thinks this whole 'rending hive scum and heretics for the Inquisition' business is jolly good fun, like something out of a swashbuckling adventure novel. Usually shouts a half-remembered litany or misquotes scripture whilst charging into battle, and by the end, his chainsword and feudal plate are typically soaked in a thick pool of blood and viscera. Our party leader is constantly shaking her head in frustration, thanks to his reckless disregard for his own safety and habit of loudly declaring himself bulletproof. So...maybe sorta khornate.
>>
I need some ideas for cool minor ordos for my group to join with.
>>
>>44443932

Check the inquisition codex. They have like 12.
>>
>>44444857

The tabletop has no bearing on this. There should be something around that fits with established lore.
>>
>>44445495
Same setting, same lore.
>>
Anyone have cool ideas for a Khornate Daemonhost? It's a Space Marine body filled with the essence of a fucking Bloodthirster, and I'm looking for ideas more substantial than 'give it Fear 4 and all the combat Talents', which is all my uncreative ass can come up with.
>>
>>44445844
1.) Look up Daemonhost creation in the DH Core rulebook

2.) Look up Bloodthirstier in Mark of Xenos

3.) Mash 'em together

4.) ???

5.) Profit.
>>
>>44446007
Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now, but it just doesn't feel, I don't know, epic? And I don't mean epic in the 'lol kewl!!1!' sense, I mean in the 'Homer would write about this' sense. I mean, this is a Bloodthirster manifested in the body of a genetically enhanced demigod.
>>
Hello.

I have nowhere else to ask. What is the lowest the Warhammer franchise ever went on Steam? Right now I can get it for 19,99$ which implies that everything is 75% off.

For such an old game I would have expected around 90% but the deal itself doesn't seem bad. I just wish to jew my way through it as hard as possible.
>>
>>44446243
That depends on what games you are actually interested in, but 20 bucks for a bunch of games is hardly not worth it even if you're not going to play them all right away.
>>
>>44445729

The tabletop stopped caring about lore years ago
>>
>>44446066
It won't be epic because of what it's capable of. It'll be epic because of the way you describe it. Also make it rain blood. That always helps.
>>
>>44446258
It's like 4 games wtih 200 dlc

The "dawn of war" bundle. Thugh it doesn't have the adpeta sororitas.
>>
>>44419934

me so khorney

had to do it

Also, i was wondering if anyone had run a game about outlaws living outside of the imperium's rules, not specifically chaos or anyhting.
>>
>>44446066

What kinda of epic things you looking for?
Fluff-wise you could make it so that his daemonic presence invigorates the machine spirits within any weapons in the immediate area, causing them to speak, scream, and moan indiscriminately.

If you want more gameplay-y stuff you could have it have an ability which FORCES an enemy to fight it one on one, kind of like Legion Commander from DOTA2's ultimate except that the daemon and his target are immune to all other sources of damage during the battle.

Also the newest dev diary for Enemies Beyond is out and it sounds pretty fantastic.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/29/power-at-any-price/
>>
>>44446066
Depending on how well bound it is, consider giving it the Bloodthirster's special abilities- like snapping its fingers and calling forth further Khorne Daemons, while also giving them a buff with its presence

Alternatively, let it command blood itself as a weapon- an unholy extension of its blade. That ought to be rad
>>
Is anon who told us story about Ovi the astropath still around?
I'm still waiting for contiuation, bro.
>>
>>44449739

The story ended a while ago. Ovi had like 3 kids with the cap'n, who got assassinated.
>>
Thinking about dual-wielding chainswords in dh2. Worth?
>>
Any roll20 GM's looking for players?
>>
>>44376355
>putting emoji on your chainsaws
>>
>>44451295
it's the current millenium, anon
>>44449923
two-weapon fighting is awesome and you should take it. it takes a lot of xp to make it good though, so prepare to bid your time until you can actually do cool things.
Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.