[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Variant rules or things you would change about DnD 5e. Weapon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: trogs_by_corndoggy-d6vmr0p.jpg (707 KB, 1500x878) Image search: [Google]
trogs_by_corndoggy-d6vmr0p.jpg
707 KB, 1500x878
Variant rules or things you would change about DnD 5e.

Weapon attack rolls use dexterity.
Weapon damage rolls use strength.
Some weapons have minimum strength requirements like armor.
>>
>>44373364
>Making martials even more MAD

You have no idea of what you're doing.
>>
>>44373364
>Buffing arguably the single best stat in the game
>Nerfing strength to be just damage and carrying/lifting things
>a change that does nothing 90% of the time unless the requirements are overly strict
You are an idiot.
>>
>>44373364
Awful change. Dex already covers Ranged attacks, AC, and numerous skills. Strength only covers melee attacks, damage, and a few skills.
>>
>Some weapons have minimum strength requirements like armor.

Claymores, the archetypal "heavy" sword, weighed a positively staggering... 7 pounds at most (averaging between 5 and 6 lbs). Zweihanders weighed a little more. Even the spindliest of stick men can lift and swing them. It's more about technique than strength.
>>
>>44373364
Hasn't dexterity already historically been the "important for literally everyone, never drop below 14 if you're optimising" stat in d$d? Why make it even better?
>>
>>44373364
Only if you fuse STR and CON into a BODY stat.

Strong guys do lots of damage and can take punishment, dex gets dodge tanking and precision.
>>
>>44373959
Of course you need to adjust Fullplate so it doesn't give the same AC as maxed dex.
>>
>>44373364
Probably only one
>Get a feat at first level
I'm just so used to it and the new feats are designed in a way that they are more like Feat chains from previous editions. That a level one feat would allow players to have a more unique and diverse character than the normal early levels do.
>>
>>44373364
>Dungeon world adventure gear and ammo system
"Adventure gear pack" has 5 uses. Players mark off a use every time they pull out stuff like torches, tinderboxes, rope, simple tools, pitons, grappling hooks, etc. They don't get to "keep" the items. What they have access to is DM digression.

>DW ammo system
Three uses. Player doesn't mark off regular shots, instead they mark off a use when they choose to give a regular attack Advantage (thinking about changing it to a regular +2), on a 1 or 20 on the attack roll, or any time they make a shot at Disadvantage. They generally run out a little bit faster than they would tracking individual shots.

>Fate zone aspects
75x125mm system card with a description of what the zone represents (usually just a room), makes it a little easier for the players to think of cool things to do, makes it a lot easier to keep track of positioning and ranges and stuff, and whatever direct mechanical benefits the zone might give
>>
>>44373364
longbows use strength not dexterity

shortbows use either strength or dexterity

crossbows use dexterity
>>
File: i33a.jpg (35 KB, 724x404) Image search: [Google]
i33a.jpg
35 KB, 724x404
>>44373364
There's not really much I'd change, but I've always wanted an "armor as damage reduction" system in D&D. It frustrates me that they didn't try to incorporate that into 5e, but some sacred cows are too sacred to slaughter, I guess.

Thankfully 5e is simple enough that I can do it myself in whatever 5e-based homebrew I make.

What I really want to do is make the Battle Master fighter archetype's maneuvers more widespread and accessible to non-fighters, then buff the Battle Master in some other way, if only to make melee combat more interesting.
>>
>>44373476
You're sort of right, but swinging 7 pouns around is still pretty tiring.

It's not strength, but stamina that matters here
>>
Terrible suggestions OP, please don't DM until familiarizing yourself with 5e more. Finesse already exists as a weapon stat, and any weapon you'd want to effectively give a strength requirement is probably already classified as a martial weapon meaning that...actually what are you even trying to do with this? I legitimately have no clue where/why you'd want this implemented.

Even the str req on armor is *almost* non-existent and doesn't serve a huge purpose. You can throw on full plate with 8 str, you're just going to take a movement penalty and a spell penalty (?, unsure as no one has tried this in any of my games).

>>44374010
Play a variant human if you really want a feat at first level
>>
How about giving each character +1 HP for each CON?

Might make the game a little bit less lethal
>>
>>44374287
I thought about doing that, but these days I just start everyone at level 3. The first two levels go by so fast because of their super low exp requirements, and levels 2-3 is when most classes get their defining features and important archetype choices. I feel like level 3 is the new level 1 in this edition.
>>
>>44373364
On top of that make spells free, they don't spend spell slots and you can cast as many as your bonus in your casting stat per turn.
>>
>>44374304
Level 1 in 5e is like level 0 in 4e

A fun starting thing when you want players to start as nobodies instead of skilled combatants and adventurers, but typically not worth it
>>
>>44374316
Yeah. Levels 1 and 2 just seem like "background" levels that characters gain before the proper game starts, before the story gets moving.
>>
>>44374220
I was sort of in the same boat as you.

Every point of AC is roughly 5% damage reduction.

You can actually play the game by replacing a character's AC with DR% and in terms of maths it will be almost the same. Only almost because a lot of monsters have special abilities that are activated on a hit.

Don't actually do that though because it is stupid.

I've experimented with a sort of acceptable Parry/Dodge system based on rolling under a character's Str or Dex score with a d20 and then accounting for the bonuses and penalties different types of equipment gave dodging and parrying (mostly parrying though), but I gave up because I was trying to fix something that wasn't broken on the basis that I didn't really understand how it works. Once I understood how it worked I no longer had the desire to break it by adding my own bullshit to it. Sort of like learning to draw or shoot a gun really.

Think of it this way: Base 10 AC is a character's natural ability to avoid being hit through parrying, dodging, etc. The dexterity bonus represents a higher than average ability to evade attacks, on an AC covered by the DEX bonus the character did a backflip out of the way or something. The AC points that come from worn armor and shields represent the protection those objects give, on an AC that is covered by the character's armor their plate turned the goblin's sword.

If you want D&D with a 100% functioning DR system out of the box try Into the Odd.
>>
>>44373364
For non-magical stuff (restore hp, fighter powers), short rests are 5 minutes
Rage recovers on short rests which are now 5 minutes, and its resistance isn't overcome by magic weapons. Otherwise normal.
Check for knockdown on normal attacks (strength save if you take 25% of your hp in one hit, DC = 1/2 damage dealt or 10)
Battlemaster maneuvers are at-will (except that +tohit one), without the bonus damage
Either remove the -5/+10 power attacking entirely, or make it a default attack option
Loading weapons benefit from extra attacks. I know it's "unrealistic", but it's unfair to charge a feat tax to be viable with crossbows.
Include mortal wounds table from ACKS as variant rule. if you hit 0hp and live, you check for lasting injury. Concussions are bad, mkay?
Add in real skills DCs, with statistics on what they mean in-universe (i.e. 2-4% of laymen and 35% of experts can make a DC 20 knowledge check off the top of their head)
Include more skills and details on skill use
Clearly-defined benefit for succeeding a knowledge check for monster lore. Namely, knowing some of the monster's stats and special abilities.
Details on athletics checks to jump beyond the normal jump distance, when you can roll to catch yourself, etc
Exact weight and volume limits on carts, wagons, and animals. Also convert those into number of medium-sized creatures that can ride there.
More detailed rules for hirelings, that tell you exactly how much a given statblock costs

>>44374220
>"armor as damage reduction" system in D&D
This

Everyone's AC is 10+dex+[maybe proficiency or something?] no matter what armor they use
Armor and shields reduce damage taken. Reduction is the normal AC minus ten (so 6 for chainmail, 8 for fullplate), shields add to it, it applies to every damage type but psychic, and it can't reduce damage below 1
Shit like daggers can be used to penetrate armor by taking a tohit penalty. Probably -5 to strike a weak point and ignore half the armor.
>>
>>44374809
>Rage recovers on short rests which are now 5 minutes, and its resistance isn't overcome by magic weapons. Otherwise normal.
It never was. If you've been playing it this way you've been severely nerfing the class
>>
>>44377187
Yeah, that's what I get for working off memory and no sleep
>>
>>44373364
>Weapon attack rolls use dexterity.
>Weapon damage rolls use strength.
Completely senseless change that does nothing but harm the game. Explain yourself.
>>
>>44374002
>Fullplate
>same AC as maxed dex
12 + 5 does not equal 18, Anon.
>>
>>44377770
It does if you're American
>>
Strength can be used for Intimidation checks.
>>
File: jigoku.png (333 KB, 512x812) Image search: [Google]
jigoku.png
333 KB, 512x812
>the next generation sit around debating the finer points of how much a sword weighs or what stat best represents swinging it versus aiming it versus carrying it
>wizard jams his thumb up his ass and it comes out covered with more power an utility than fighting-man will ever have

truly we have learned nothing
>>
>>44377804
Most skills should have at least one alternate stat
>>
How much has been changed, since I know a lot of Unearthed Arcana stuff has come out since I played.

Did they bring in the Sorcerors/Warlock magic points from the beta test?

Do Sorcerors start turning into the *Magic Creature* they get their bloodline power from?

Have they revamped the Magic System for Arcane Trickster/ Magic Knight? I hated having to grab stuff from someone else's toybox instead of getting unique things that would help me out more.
>>
File: 1347847119458.png (53 KB, 184x250) Image search: [Google]
1347847119458.png
53 KB, 184x250
>>44377795
I'm American though.
>>
>>44377924
No, no, and no.

Well, the second one is sort of. Dragon sorcerers get a tough hide (natural AC of 13 + Dex, extra HP), the ability to sprout wings, and a frightening presence ability. The others out so far aren't really based on creatures, just forces (wild magic, storm). The shadow sorc from a recent UA had some neat ideas though.
>>
>>44377770
It does with defense style.

Point was the difference should be more between full DEX and full BODY.
>>
>>44378489
>It does with defense style.
Anon, 12 + 5 + 1 does not equal 18 + 1 either.
>>
File: martial options 1.3.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
martial options 1.3.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44374220
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.