[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ok /tg/ you get to go back in time and stop one mistake in traditional
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2
File: The_Time_Machine.jpg (299 KB, 1015x761) Image search: [Google]
The_Time_Machine.jpg
299 KB, 1015x761
ok /tg/ you get to go back in time and stop one mistake in traditional gaming from happening what do you choose

i would say the reserve list with not calling 4e d&d tactics in a distant second.
>>
>>44372579

Class based systems.
>>
>>44372611
i really wasent thinking in such broad terms but ok
>>
>>44372579
It doesn't matter. The world is exactly as people want it to be, so it would only be a matter of time before everything looked exactly the same as it does now no matter what you changed.
>>
>>44372579
I prevent White Wolf from fucking up VtM's metaplot so much. Pace that shit. WW's de-facto demise set back urban fantasy for years. VtR is a good game NOW, but its hasty reboot fucked up things for everyone.
>>
>>44372579

I stop the mistake of me not being in charge of WotC, and I make millions off the tears of salty fanboys with every new set of MtG and edition of D&D I release.
>>
>>44372776
op here i suppose if i did that i could fix both my things.
>>
>>44372776

Also I keep publishing Star Wars Miniatures because it's getting harder to collect them
>>
>>44372579
I prevent 3e D&D from abandoning everything that came before, making it an offshoot of Cyclopedia.
>>
>>44372611
Tabletop had to start somewhere. Imagine going back to 1970 and showing Gary Gygax something like GURPS. Classes are fine, as a stepping stone towards better things. The problem is that they stuck around for as long as they did.

I'd take MaRo with me and have him explain modern magic to Richard Garfield before he pitches it to Wizards. He could then have things like the Stack in the game from the get-go, while also being able to see what stupid shit he should make sure is avoided from the beginning, like the Tribal type or Artifact Lands.
>>
>>44372865
Still a desire for the thing. Still idiots.

Everything is the same.
>>
>>44372579
>4e d&d tactics

I think they should have continued to develop 4e along side 5e, but calling it chainmail.
>>
>>44372841
>an offshoot of Cyclopedia.
And you were so close.
>>
>>44372913
Cyclopedia was best with the least stupid rules bloat, fight me, fucker.
>>
>>44372761
not only are you not very fun but thats not even right.
>>
>>44372579
aucualy i have changed my mind reserve list is still my first choice but second choice would have to be the book of exalted deeds holy shit that was a horrible book it was a shame it was so shit after the high quality of the book of vile darkness.
>>
>>44372964
Do you have an argument or did you just need to get that off your chest?

Don't tell me you believe in bogeymen?
>>
>>44372953
Oh boy, we got one of these guys. You have fun with your race-as-class, I'm going to play 2e and enjoy myself.
>>
>>44372971
the burden of proof is on you for this one anon.
>>
>>44373039
To prove what? That the world isn't a storybook orchestrated by villains?

Just fuck off if all you're going to is refuge in vacuous sophistry.
>>
Wow. /TG/ is all kinds of salty today.

There's a lot of good options here. Really, any of these would be good choices, and would be my ideas in descending order of want:

1) Go back to the '90s and keep FASA from imploding. That gets us better support for Shadowrun, which is worthwhile in its own right, but also Earthdawn, which could have been a viable competitor against AD&D given a bit of time and support.

2) Go back to the day that Justin Achilli was hired by White Wolf, make sure he doesn't interview there then or ever. It's not entirely unfair to say that he was the driving force behind everything that fucked up WW.

3) Go back to the 4th ed development process, crash the meeting where Orcus got scrapped in favor of what ended up becoming 4th, and nut-punch everyone involved until they roll with Orcus. Orcus got tweaked a bit and became Bo9S. It gets the idea of fighter/wizard equality correct insofar as it tries to bring the fighter up rather than push everyone down, and I'd nut-punch that philosophy into 4th ed's designers.
>>
>>44372865
If you did that Maro would convince him to make a game with only creatures and lands.
>>
>>44374021
>It gets the idea of fighter/wizard equality correct insofar as it tries to bring the fighter up rather than push everyone down, and I'd nut-punch that philosophy into 4th ed's designers.

OP said mistakes anon. 4e was fine balance-wise.
>>
>>44372579
Have D&D falter at the start and have RuneQuest be the popular fantasy system that took off out of the 70s.
>>
>>44372579
Assassinate Mearls after 4e came out, but before he had a chance to do anything with Essentials.

Don't know how much longer it would've given 4e, but would at least give it a chance without Essentials fucking it up.
>>
Since 4e D&D seems to be the theme, I'd try to go back and save 4e's online tabletop application.

Without the murder suicide that ended its development, we might have had easy to use online roleplaying tools as early as 2008.
>>
>>44372767
I'd disagree, without the new world of darkness we wouldn't have changelings that don't suck
>>
I kill Lorraine Williams as an infant
>>
>>44374200
>I'd disagree, without the new world of darkness we wouldn't have changelings that don't suck
I'm not opposed to the Time of Judgement and cWoD ending, but the way it did was extremely messy and burned way too many fucking bridges.
>>
Killing Gary gygax when he was a child. D&D would not exist as the beginning of all TTRPGS and the hobby as we know it would be entirely changed and unrecognized as it is now.
>>
>>44372579
> not calling 4e d&d tactics

You are unfathomably stupid.
>>
>>44374021
>3) Go back to the 4th ed development process, crash the meeting where Orcus got scrapped in favor of what ended up becoming 4th, and nut-punch everyone involved until they roll with Orcus. Orcus got tweaked a bit and became Bo9S. It gets the idea of fighter/wizard equality correct insofar as it tries to bring the fighter up rather than push everyone down, and I'd nut-punch that philosophy into 4th ed's designers.

And here's another one.
4e is the best edition of D&D design wise (gameplay may vary).
Go play your 3.5 and leave us alone.
>>
>>44372982
>implying race as class isn't perfect
What the fuck is the point of races when all they ever do is be min maxing bullshit and/or useless fluff?
>>
I honestly like classes.

Classless systems feel too cold a lot of the time.
You just have this list of abilities and stats, but there's no overarching exclusive flavorful mechanics linking it all together in a different way than other people's are linked together
>>
>>44372579
I'd go back in time before D&D became a thing, I would go to Japan and explain the idea of TRPGs to them.

Then, the japanese TRPGs would be mainstream!
>>
>>44372579

Not sure I could prevent it, but, Gygax inventing D&D right in the middle of a Tolkien revival. The game's really meant for Jack Vance/Fritz Lieber/REH style fantasy, but it's been all elves & halflings for over 40 years now.
>>
>>44372579
>>
>>44372968
> the book of exalted deeds holy shit that was a horrible book it was a shame it was so shit after the high quality of the book of vile darkness.

That's a very solid opinion.
>>
>>44372579
The Forge. I would stop it from happening.
>>
>>44372579
Make the Tome of Battle a default part of 3.5, thus removing caster supremacy edition and slightly mitigating the utter fucking cancer that 3.PF has become in the modern day.
>>
File: zY3CSV3.png (33 KB, 899x547) Image search: [Google]
zY3CSV3.png
33 KB, 899x547
>>44373085
Rather to prove that the world is in no way contingent upon the individual agency of man. That if a man is obsessed with green houses and the world at large prefers blue, that his becoming minister of house colors will not result in an unusual number of houses being painted green. That his removal would not change that.

Your claim is essentially that individual people cannot influence the course of history. This is an unsubstantiated and outlandish claim, and you must either justify it or be dismissed.

I understand that as a weak beta leftist, furnishing evidence is not a skill at which you have much practice, but I encourage you to try.
>>
>>44375062
have fun as triple vampire
>>
Age of Sigmar. I would stop it from happening and stop the stupid destruction of the Warhammer world and replace it with interesting plot development
>>
>>44372579
Time walk keeps it's original wording and stays red
Either that or the mentality of "blue can do anything" is killed from the start
>>
>>44374051
>If you did that Maro would convince him to make a game with only creatures
FTFY

I'm pretty sure he said he would take lands out if he could but I can't find a link at the moment.
>>
>>44375649
This. Prevent the demise of the 40k universe.
>>
>>44372579
>not calling 4e d&d tactics

Actually rolling back the 4e ethos and not doubling down and saying "this is what dnd is now and forever" was the greatest tragedy of recent times.

Second is not calling healing surges something less provocative like "endurance" or something
>>
I would go back and just prevent WFB/AoS "end times" bullshit.
>>
Preventing the invention of the internet. The ability of gamers to talk with each other and develop hyper-optimization schemes for all sorts of games is probably the single worst thing about the hobby. It doesn't matter what a player or GM wants to do: somebody has done it, spoiled it, optimized it, and posted it on the internet.

Gaming was better when players had to learn things for themselves, and surprising your players was still possible.
>>
>>44374021
>tries to bring the fighter up rather than push everyone down
you know although i dont think the caster supremecy in 3e was as bad as people say i have to agree this is a good philosiphy to have if you think theres a problem
>>
>>44374281
i like this one.
>>
>>44376640
thank you anon.
>>
>>44379513
>>44381467
well thats more recent then i was expecting but still a valid answer.
>>
>>44375062
>fluff
>useless
>not literally the most important factor in character creation choices
>>
>>44372579
I'd go back in time and murder HG Wells freeing me from my suffering and the world from tabletop games.
>>
>>44372611
GO to bed Karl, and get your fucking beard groomed you dirty-as hobo-looking motherfucker.
>>
>>44372579

I'd demand a serious rework of DnD 3e before it's release. Also get better playtesters for 3e
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.