[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>GM accidentally leaves a clue leading to the identity of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: 370.png (371 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
370.png
371 KB, 500x375
>GM accidentally leaves a clue leading to the identity of the dungeon BBEG.
>The GM begins getting upset that we're figuring out the mystery BBEG of the dungeon because he blurted said clue.
>Uses fiat to make the PCs forget they saw the clue in the first place.

I've head of GMs that get butthurt over their mystery character no longer being mysterious, but come on.

In case you were wondering what the clue was, It was the BBEG's holy symbol, that identified the deity he was associated with.
>>
>BBEG
You didn't have to keep going, we could tell your GM was shit from the start.
>>
>GM gets sad we don't play into his magical realm
>Feel bad for so do it anyway

There's no winning.
>>
>>44371404
Man why not just change the damn bbeg if it's such a big deal.
>>
>>44371404
>DM comes up with Risk-esque mechanical thing where we attack sections of a continent to take them over.
>We're Level 22 in 3.5e so naturally we have pretty decent gear and all of our tricked-out spells and skills and such.
>Our party also consists of a tactical genius that used the Leadership Feat (and later Epic Leadership) to gain an army for use, and also had White Raven schooling so that she could charge into the front lines and just order standard rank/file soldiers to jump a dude for Tons of Damage.
>And there's also a wizard with all of the elemental walls.
>Wizard throws up tons of Wall of Fire every battle forever. Despite it not hitting for any excrutiating amounts of damage, it deals with most of the standard mooks while the tactician waltzes into the fray with their troops and gangbangs the leaders and other key factions.
>DM gets wise about the 3rd time this happens and gives everything some sort of Fire immunity/absorption/buff when hit with fire dmg.
>Wizard just says "Okay" and uses Elemental Substitution.
>DM makes everything have SR of like 70 so we can't use magic.
>We call him out on this, tell him that if he's not going to actually fucking try then to just end the campaign saying that we won, since we were mostly done anyway and the strategy hadn't yet stopped working.
>He admits that he was wrong to bitch about it and gives us a congratulations, admitting that he's bad at tactical stuff.
>>
File: 7cc.png (93 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
7cc.png
93 KB, 500x500
>>44371750

You'd be shocked at how inflexible some GMs can be with their story. Either a case of stupidity because it didn't occur to them to just change slight details, or autism because they think if it's not this exact story, then campaign is forever ruined.
>>
>>44371784
I mean, this is just a DM trying to cope, helplessly, with the broken mess that is high level 3.5
>>
>>44372062
This.

>>44371784
I hope you thanked the GM for putting up with your broken-ass asses.
>>
>>44371404
If your GM can't roll with his mistakes, turning flubbed reveals into red herrings, he needs to work on his storytelling.
>>
>>44371525
Ignoring your autistic triggering over a term you don't like, you actually have no way of knowing from OP's story if the GM ever used that term or or if it is just OP's shorthand for "the mastermind behind this story-arc".
>>
>>44371784
DM should've just started throwing enemy Wizards at you using similar tactics, or designed to counter your win-strategy, just to throw you for a loop and make you have to find some other tactic.

Blanket bullshit immunities because is just dumb.
>>
>>44372116
Seriously

>Not having the holy symbol be one of an enemy faction
>It was planted there exactly so you would find it, now believing the BBEG's enemy is your enemy.
>BBEG kicks back and watches party go after the wrong people while continuing to build his own power.

Though I'd probably also secretly roll some kind of wisdom check to see if any of them find it suspicious how easy it was to find such a vital clue to the BBEG's identity.
>>
File: 1448802967421.jpg (79 KB, 375x480) Image search: [Google]
1448802967421.jpg
79 KB, 375x480
I have the opposite problem where I throw out a ton of clues for the PCs to pick up on and none of them take the bait.
>>
>>44374245
FUCKING THIS!!!

OP you have a shit GM. I'd kill to have players as attentive as this. And if I were in his place I would've rewarded you guys by allowing to take steps against BBEG since you caught his identity.
>>
>>44374228
Or just let the players figure out the bad guy but make it harder to stop him
>>
>>44374919
Why would finding out who he is make him harder to stop? I would expect it to be easier, especially if the party doesn't reveal they know who he is.
>>
>>44374245
I was playing an online black crusade game and it was incredibly obvious that we were being set up, to the point where the gm was basically giving away the plot, yet none of the other players suspected a thing. I have never played with people so dense.
>>
>>44374245
>tfw you have to explain all the shit the players missed that they didn't pick up on because they were dense or felt like speedrunning that day.
Makes me feel like I did a shit job, even if I know my players can be dense as fuck. It's so hit and miss, too. Sometimes they're friggin' plot geniuses and figure out things well in advance (sometimes before I have, which lets me invoke reverse foreshadowing), and others they have the most retarded obvious hints in front of them and they don't get it.
>>
File: le smug british douche.jpg (30 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
le smug british douche.jpg
30 KB, 640x360
>>44374165
>Having Villains
>In the year it currently is
>>
File: 1447896539554.jpg (48 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1447896539554.jpg
48 KB, 400x462
>>44371404
Show us your character sheets to prove this is real.

Oh, you can't because of reasons?
>>
>>44375669
Why do you need proof? What possible malevolent agenda could one have for telling lies on the internet?
And character sheets wouldn't prove a thing. It would take session notes of some kind.
>>
File: 1443571754116.jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1443571754116.jpg
27 KB, 480x360
>>44375669

Found the shit GM.
>>
>>44374165
>dungeon BBEG

Sounds like the guy is just using it instead of Boss or Villain.

And, if we want to talk autism, you're the guy trying to defend Big Bad Evil Guy like it's a national treasure worth protecting.

It's a lame term used by lame guys like yourself.
>>
>>44376234
>Sounds like the guy is just using it instead of Boss or Villain.
Sure, OP was, but all that tells us about his GM is that he allows OP into his game, which just from OP using a term you dislike on the internet, is not sufficient information to conclude that his GM is shit. The rest of the post (assuming OP is telling the truth) is, but by the point "BBEG" was used, it isn't.

And I don't have to be "defending" the term to call people out on being unreasonably triggered by someone using it. Boss would have been the proper term to use there, especially because, even when 'properly' used 'BBEG' refers to the MAIN villain of a campaign, but to unequivocally conclude that someone is shit for using it is an obvious overreaction.
>>
>>44374245
I know that feel, and I think my players are getting worse at investigations not better.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.