[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OGW Leaks, suspended guy and Helene talk about it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8
File: Wizards_of_the_Coast_logo.svg.png (177 KB, 1280x828) Image search: [Google]
Wizards_of_the_Coast_logo.svg.png
177 KB, 1280x828
>http://mtgfocus.tumblr.com/
>MTG Focus - Ep 39 - Inside A Leak ft Helene Bergeot

What do you think? We get one of the suspended guys version.
>>
he sounds retarded, he was beligerent as fuck with Wizards and somehow, couldn't recall where he got the info from.

you don't fuck with the marketing side of a company, you simply don't,t hey will shit on you as hard as they can.
>>
also when shit like this happens, if you say "Attorney" shit is OVER, your account will be banned/suspended and they won't say shit to you beyond their legal department.
>>
File: 14104342846234.png (49 KB, 167x179) Image search: [Google]
14104342846234.png
49 KB, 167x179
I don't really know what to think. The guy kinda sounds sincere but he when full I NEED A LAWYER! GIVE ME MY CALL! So I don't feel much sympathy for him, he should have cooperate right away.
>>
>>44370525
Also is not like WotC did a good job handling the situation.
>>
all this over a card that'll only see play in a single fucking decktype in standard that doesn't even have a high win rate.
>>
>>44370619
It's honestly the principle of not letting people get away with leaking information.
>>
>>44370635
the problem is it got people banned who had nothing to do with the leak and simply were shown the leaked cards.

its akin to some sort of Thought-Crime they commited, how are they even to know its real? I mean if you share this card, that you don't even know is a real fucking card, and it gets you banned because some other chucklefuck leaked it.

what exactly do you do?
>>
>>44370655
Ban them all and let the appeals process sort them out.
also
>Banned for three years
>I'm not a crook
SUCKS TO SUCK, NERD!
>>
>>44370680
no one ever gets appealed, even less so for shit like this.

this fucked the entire South East tourney scene, no more PPTQ's or shit like that for a long time.
>>
File: Cry A lot.jpg (44 KB, 500x262) Image search: [Google]
Cry A lot.jpg
44 KB, 500x262
>>44370708
>Trying to go to Charlotte GP in the spring for the first time
>Then some fag leaks shit
>Now it might not happen
>mfw
>>
File: slightlymiffed.gif (874 KB, 320x192) Image search: [Google]
slightlymiffed.gif
874 KB, 320x192
My fucking face when the Christmas preview this year is a bunch of reprinted expeditions. What a shameless money grab. Last year we got fucking Ugin, never mind Tasigur, Mentor, and Angler were also in that SMALL SET...this year, we'll be lucky if Kozilek's Return is played in sideboards.
>>
Can I ask why you would start posting something you think is fake all over the internet?
Are you just an attention whore?
>>
File: 161245_CN.jpg (3 MB, 600x817) Image search: [Google]
161245_CN.jpg
3 MB, 600x817
>>44370903
>listen to muh podcast!
>follow me on twitter!

Yes. The least he could do was posting them here anonymously.
>>
>>44370980
People are scared of the 4chans for some reason
Anyway
nice art.
>>
Wtf happened? I am not listening to that shit
>>
>>44371039
>>44371039
Podcast Guy got the leaked card pictures from a judge and "thinking they were fake" he decided to shit them all over his twitter feed.
Wizards contacted him and he was helping them but decided to get a lawyer involved and tried negotiating his way out of a suspension or ban
then he got banned for 3 years.
>>
WOTC fucking their fans and players is what they have done since day 1.

It's not a surprise this is happening and it's no surprise the general playerbase doesn't care. Animals, aka the MTG fanbase, are pieces of trash and anyone who owns more than $500 in cardboard cards for a game like this should be in a gulag stacking shit till they die of starvation.

The fact WOTC is completely incompetent at all aspects and still makes $50+ off cards they print is great.
>>
also lol @ suspending every judge in an area

Literal retarded autists who work for free for WOTC just to act important and they suspend them.
>>
>>44370783
MtG is now a gambling IP.
Just like Castlevania and MGS.
>>
>>44371140
It's because MTG declined in Q2 and Q3. They are getting scared since Hasbro will fire half of them. Easy to blame the decline on leaks and a blown sales strategy.

Sales of Magic: The Gathering fell in Q3, according to Hasbro’s quarterly earnings announcement, contributing to an 8% decline in the games category for the company. This is the second consecutive quarterly decline in sales of Magic: The Gathering; in Q2, Magic declines were part of a 6% decline in Hasbro’s games sales
>>
>>44371164
This is fascinating, source?
>>
http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/32837/magic-down-hasbro-q3

conference calls for Q2 and Q3 for Hasbro

Q4 Conference call / quarterly report is in February 2016.

In general Magic has declined steadily.
>>
>>44371209
>Both Origins and BFZ releases were HUEG and BFZ was the most attended pre-release
>MAGIC IS DEEEEEAAAAAAAAAD
>>
Keep in mind a professional player who used godbooks to get an unfair advantage in professional play and used a playgroup to playtest them months in advance got 3 years suspension. Who also happened to leak an entire set ahead of time.

While this person who simply forwarded an image to twitter got 3 years.

The difference in severity is entirely related to MTG's declining sales and popularity over the past 2 quarters. I'm sure the sales team / executives at WOTC are all looking at being fired for the poor performance.
>>
>>44371244
Revenue fell 8% in the hasbro games category in Q3

Because of poor MTG performance

MTG revenue also fell in Q2

These are facts. How many people show up to an event don't matter.
>>
someone give me the cliffs
>>
>>44371244
If this is true,I assume it was only due to a successful hype train generated by expeditions. Why the fuck else would anyone exceed previous attendance for the launch on such a shit set?
>>
>>44371300
MTG sales are declining

Sales Force goes Nazi on judges/twitter people who posted about a leaked shitty card
>>
>>44371209
>Goldner also pointed to some positive Magic metrics, calling Magic Origins, released in Q3, the biggest summer set release in the game’s history, revealing that the Battle of Zendikar pre-release was the best-attended pre-release ever, and noting that the number of hobby stores carrying Magic was up over a year ago.

More people than ever are playing, just less product is being sold. Probably because these sets are meh. But damn, that is a big drop in revenue.
>>
>>44371283
>Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner pointed out that sales of the brand were up for the first nine months of the year (if foreign exchange shifts were ignored) in the company earnings call on Monday. A Magic product release date moved from Q2 to Q1, which increased sales in Q1 at the expense of Q2. The sales declines in Q3 did not, apparently, have as prosaic an explanation; in response to a question about Magic sales, Goldner pointed to the pace of the narrative. "And so what we are going to see is…some up-and-down quarter that are more about the storytelling that’s being done in any particular time rather than some of the seasonality because as we know that Magic really doesn’t abide by the same similar seasonality [as the] rest of our business," he said.
Doesn't seem like they are gearing up to fire everyone. And yes, the sales did fall in two consecutive quarters, the 2nd because they moved some of the good shit over to the first quarter, the third because fuck if I know.
But (if I am not mistaken) the Tarkir block was very good for Wizards as was Theros.
>>
>>44370980
Why on earth is most of the revealed OGW art a thousand times better than ANYTHING in BFZ?
>>
>>44371329
They are getting killed by hearthstone and there is even an elder scrolls card game coming up out in the next few months (Also F2P).

MTG is losing market share rapidly in the most important space for the future.
>>
>>44371319
You think they'd learn and make sets that aren't shit.
>>
>>44371368
considering their hiring criteria for designers is how SJW you are...

trannies everywhere
>>
>>44371344
The first two sets of Tarkir were good. Dragons was dogshit, and sold like it.
>>
>>44371390
For how much newer players love dragons, they did a shitty job promoting it as a dragons set to hype up the Timmie's. Avacyn Restored is The angel block, and sold very sell (christian gamers WHO's parents prohibit satanic cards).

Dragons of tarkir lack of cool cards hurt it.
>>
>>44370766

The judges suspended have already got in contact with others about the events they can't judge. There won't be an event that won't happen because of these suspensions.

The only event that would hurt WotC due to a protest would be something like Pro Tour Atlanta. I hear those judges were already paid, and to break that contract would be awkward. Protesting the next one is odd too since the judges will be off suspension anyways.
>>
>>44371357
Wizards can't into technology.

They sucked at it in the 90's when they tried to keep card images off the internet, they suck at it with MTGO, they sucked at it with Magic Duels aka Baby's First Magic Game, they suck at it with Gatherer, they sucked at it with their forum, they suck at it with trying to handle leaks online.

The onward march of technology will be what eventually puts the nails in Magic's coffin.
>>
>>44371450
I would be surprised if some number of judges don’t quit after this. This is a really shitty way to be treated by WotC. But maybe they’re too spineless.
>>
File: elder.jpg (34 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
elder.jpg
34 KB, 320x320
Do you guys think Elder Scrolls legends will finally completely btfo Magic?

- Better IP
- Huge fans of MTG in charge
- LSV, Conley, Chapin, Utter Leyton, brandon nelson etc helped designing/testing
>>
>>44371465

There may be a non-0 amount, but I haven't seen anyone who has explicitly quit in response to this.
>>
>>44371478
idk, I’m too burnt out on “collectable” games
>>
>>44371464
Pretty much

by the time they have a good digital product the market will be cornered
>>
>>44371510
Very much this, especially in my area with games like FoW and CFV dying very quickly here and MtG barely keeping up. Hell, table top gaming outside RPGs is on the decline where I live.
>>
>>44371283
>These are facts. How many people show up to an event don't matter.
Oh but it actually does matter.
If anyone in Hasbro's sales department actually understands Magic and why it sells, MaRo will have to eat his shit and start desigining more constructed cards at all rarities so that the holy trinity of Lottery Sales, Limited Sales and Constructed Sales makes post-release numbers reflect that high tournament attendance.
Right now MaRo's shitty NWO is losing them money.
>>
>>44371478
I sincerely doubt that it will make much of a dent in MTG. MTG will always benefit from the fact that it's the CCG that everyone is already invested in. It's hard for a new CCG to gain enough traction to even survive more than a few years, let alone challenge MTG's dominance.

As for the IP, it's probably not that much of an advantage. CCGs convey their flavor primarily through card art. Elder Scrolls art is mostly going to look like generic fantasy. As demonstrated by your image.
>>
File: a20151229.jpg (43 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
a20151229.jpg
43 KB, 265x370
ouch
>>
>>44370071
Without havingg read it:
>WEZ DIDN'T DO NUFFIN!
>WEZ GOOD FEMINISMTS!
>PLZ LOEVZ UZ TUMBLRZ

How right I am?
>>
>>44371385
There's one tranny designer and they didn't even know it until more than halfway through the hiring process.

Kill yourself
>>
If they shut down WotC imagine the price spike in every card.
>>
>>44371110
Wizards doesn't set the prices of the secondary market, nor do they profit more/less on the sale of individual sealed products based on the secondary market. Unless you are saying "$50+ off cards they print" refers to all the cards they print, there is no situation in which any sealed product is generating Wizards $50 of profit excepting booster displays or whatever they're called.
>>
>>44374234
They do care about the secondary market, say X card is $500+ which is really good and keeps increasing in price, wotc will se this and say "hey people like/need this card, if we reprint it right now everyone will buy our product!"
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/how-wizards-manages-its-savings-account

Also about the decline in MTG sales, the CEO says they had a good 9 months. They had a shitty quarter, if this decline keeps happening is something to worry about, is too soon to say mtg is dead (is the firsts step to remove the reserved list).
>>
>>44374311
At this point I'd be happy if they fired 50%-75% of the design team and brought new blood in in an attempt to revitalize the game
>>
>>44374401
>50%-75%
You mean maro? The fucker who takes credit for everything, even shit that's not even design?
>>
File: oARgXM3.jpg (49 KB, 604x401) Image search: [Google]
oARgXM3.jpg
49 KB, 604x401
>>44371354
Because motherucking Bismuth.
>>
>>44371465
Do you really think they won't pick up new ones to compensate?
>>44371746
>If anyone in Hasbro's sales department actually understands Magic and why it sells
Do you think they do? Hasbro has a lot of very different IPs going on, and every one of them is hugely different in fanbase and why they sell. I don't doubt that they're given a number of people attending events,a nd told to try to push that up, but knowing how or why people attend them seems a little farfetched.
>>
>>44374521
>it's Kozilek poop!!!
>>
The podcast guy was stupid, he deserved that ban.
>>
>>44372729
Well
It's a podcast
He says he's not a crook
Doesn't say anything about feminism
nope
>>
>>44374231

The loss of support of the game would probably tank most card prices, to be honest. A game no longer being made will likely push a significant number of people to sell off and find another game to play. Maybe in the long term some prices will rise, but ded game leads to low prices.
>>
>>44370071
Wizards has the reserved list as a trump card. As soon as magic stopa becoming profitable, the list gets abolished and duel lands come back. Magic is still insanely profitable. Won't happen in our lifetime.
>>
>>44371262
Those fucking frogs should have stayed banned.
>>
>>44371450
>Be conservative Christian family
>Get nerdy ass kid some AVR booster packs for christmas because it seems wholesome
>Packs are full of demons and devils
What I would have given to be a fly on the wall of that Christmas morning
>>
>>44371478
>Better IP
arguable
>>
They could've just suspended that one guy who did the leaking instead of whole california.
>>
>>44378207
>wotc
>doing something reasonable and fair about the situation
>>
>>44371209
This makes me really wonder what's the cause for all of this.

Failing two quarters in a row is unheard of.

The shittyness of BFZ can't be the reason alone, since its numbers only become relevant in the Q4 report. Maybe Hearthstone does give them way more trouble than they like to admit?

I also wonder how MTGO factors into everything. Shitty booster prices did hurt attendance, but is the PP change really better from a profit perspective? With tix, you basically sold the userbase boosters when they join events, netting you income with every player joining. With PP, a bunch of players play while not netting you anything (e.g. the last 5 leagues I joined with PP, I always got 3-2 or better, netting them jackshit instead of 40$). I'm still doubting that more players playing could compensate for the way lower tix consuption.
>>
Im having a hard time trying to understand this.

So they found out someone who posted the first leaks online, they asked him who gave him the pictures.
So he just said nigga dunno some judges idk.
And then WOTC banned him and banned all the judges in cali since they dont know specifically who leaked?
>>
>>44370071
The guys responsible releasing the leaks got fucked. Sucks for them, but that consequence seems logical.

But suspending players for failing to report leaks? There's zero obligation to do that and Wizards thinking that a DCI membership makes you their bitch is ludicrous.
>>
>>44371812
except people will slowly like playing more on an ipad/surface or whatever else rather than driving to a smelly store and waiting 30min between matches
>>
>>44374234
yes owning the production and supply of cards has no effect on prices

keep owning your shitty EV lottery packs
>>
>>44374311
It was two quarters in a row

6 months of declines
>>
>>44380946
Digital CCGs aren't really the same market as physical ones. The kind of people who play MtGO aren't usually the same audience that plays paper MtG. I highly doubt Hearthstone is eating their sales.

MtGO is pretty dogshit already so I doubt it tanking would probably not account for consecutive quarters underperforming.

I would suspect it's after effects of a lot of things. Their predictions of average player time being 2 years would indicate that we're going to see a boom/bust cycle every 2 years if you tank on design. The expanding playerbase is also increasingly social media savvy which can exacerbate good press and bad press (though mostly bad press). It also seems like the design team is becoming increasingly subservient to marketing and most of them sitting in MaRo's pocket. While his ideals for the game are great for attracting players, they are pretty toxic to maintaining them. "easy to pick up" is a great way to attract fresh meat but if you keep touting simplicity and ease of access every set your novice players are gonna get sick of not getting access to more advanced toys.
>>
So the CEO blaming the slow story pasing then?
>>
>>44381598

The part that confuses me is the 3rd quarter. Its down x amount from the second quarter, which is down from the first because they released 3rd set in khans earlier than normal. But they also claim that Origins was their highest selling summer set? If it sold so well why the decline? Have they consistently taken a 3rd quarter hit? Did they use some wording to cover up Origins not doing great? Or was Dragons the real underperformer and they had a convenient excuse for it? Origins was their 3rd quarter product and if it didn't actually do bad things aren't adding up.
>>
>>44370766
>Some day, we will foresee obstacles.
>>
>>44381899
It's impossible to know what's really going on when the only data you see is what marketing lets you see.
>>
>>44381899
Well, the summer set has been a core set for a long time, and basically nobody liked core sets, even after their revamping of the concept. It will be interesting to see how the summer set fares this year when it's an actual set.

>>44381119
We had Dragons, followed by a core set, followed by zendikar bringing it down. Dragons at least had some good modern-playable utility cards going for it. Not that smart players are buying packs for money cards, but you had a decent chance at a fetch in Khans, and even dragons had the commands and some fun legends at rare. The miniscule chance of a value mythic or the exceedingly slim promise of an expedition just doesn't make you want to crack packs, even to draft.
>>
>>44381358
>Digital CCGs aren't really the same market as physical ones. The kind of people who play MtGO aren't usually the same audience that plays paper MtG. I highly doubt Hearthstone is eating their sales.
>MtGO is pretty dogshit already so I doubt it tanking would probably not account for consecutive quarters underperforming.

It's the paper players who move to MTGO. Players new to CCGs prefer the easier, more accessable Hearthstone than the super-expensive, bug-ridden pile of shit that is MTGO. If Paper wasn't so addicting, people would never take a second look at this steaming garbage.

MTGO should still easily make up 30-40% of their earnings/profit, so if it does bad, so does Magic as a whole.

The state of MTGO is pretty laughable. Hasbro predicted in one of their recent earning reports that MTGO should be more "robust" in the middle of 2017. It makes me really wonder what they're planning since they suck at technology just as much as Wizards.
>>
>>44382667

Well, yearly reports from hasbro do say whether they're up or down, at the very least. We were going up since og Zendikar, then Theros broke even or decreased (I forget the exact language), and it seems safe to assume that khans/fate did better. It's not safe to assume bfz did better. Won't really know till yearlies tho
>>
>>44383592
hearthstone is a legitimate competitor to MTG market share.

Anyone who doesn't think this is a fucking moronic goon.
>>
>>44371354
WiZaRdS sHiL
>>
>>44370071
AUTISTIC GAME DESIGNERS DON'T UNDERSTAND PUBLIC RELATIONS!!!

MORE ON THIS AND OTHER STORIES AT 11PM TONIGHT!
>>
>>44383725
Wasn't Theros
> sales up
> interest down
which basically translated into "less people, but they bought more shit"?
>>
>>44384465

I think it was 'sales up abroad because of introducing mtg to new places' while 'sales down in america' translating to slower overall growth. Compared to RtR anyways.
>>
>>44384611
Theros was shit, so that one is not suprising.

BFZ is probably even worse, so one has to wonder how it's going to affect sales. I don't think expeditions is going to save them.
>>
>>44377824
You should have hand-picked the cards you wanted to gift him, carefully opened the booster along the seams and re-sealed it with glue.

Put in a juicy mythic if you want to go the extra mile.

If you follow the distribution of a regular booster nobody will notice and you've ensured a happy unboxing for the kid.
>>
>>44382832

I wish they made a real core set, not a set that's rehashes each year but a set that has actually "core" cards needed for competitive gameplay, like staples.
>>
>>44389736
That's how we ended up with the reserve list
>>
>>44371478
>- Better IP
Pre-Oblivion, most definitely
Nowadays, both IPs are shit

Pretty cool that a bunch of pros helped out, curious to see where this goes now.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.