[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alien Races
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: aliens_by_fightpunch-d5nzxy0.png (816 KB, 1024x1409) Image search: [Google]
aliens_by_fightpunch-d5nzxy0.png
816 KB, 1024x1409
Let's talk about alien races in your sci-fi settings.

What kinds do you prefer? Men in rubber mask Star Wars aliens that take a little suspension of disbelief, or more realistic creatures from a Wayne Barlow wet dream?

Do you prefer having fucking truckloads of random cantina aliens coloring the galaxy, ensuring every NPC in the game is something newer and stranger than the last, or just a handful of four or five extremely fleshed out races to choose from?

Share 'em if you got em.
>>
>>44369704
I gotta admit, this is sort of a thinly veiled inspiration thread. I've been running a home-brew space opera game for a few friends lately, and up until now i've more or less hand waved the issue all together. Since it was supposed to be a throwaway game that sort of took up a life of it's own, i just sort of thought up the aliens they encountered as they encountered them, with very minimal world building.

Now that the game's starting to come together as something bigger, I need to actually figure out what the general feel of the galaxy would be. I was hoping seeing what /tg/ has come up with in your own settings might help me figure what direction to go in.
>>
>>44369704
>realistic
don't do that.

Uh, I like having both "rubber-forehead aliens" and weirder "starfish aliens" in my settings. As much as I like to make eldritch creatures, I can't resist including some form of technicolor space babes. As for number, I like having variety, but I don't force it for its own sake. I need every alien to have at least a substantial lore and background of their own, and as much as I'd love to have a Space Dandy level of alien variety, I'm way too lazy to make so many hundreds of species for a game.
>>44369802
Cool, cool. I suck at hard scifi, so my moods for space opera games is almost always on the cartoonish, unrealistic side of things. I recommend it purely because it's easy.
>>
I own a copy of wayne's book, and I while I love his stuff, I have a certain appreciation for green alien girls. In a proper space opera may as well run the whole gambit though.
>>
>>44369704

I always felt most of Barlowe's aliens to be biologically dubious.

I like Traveller -- it's got a full spectrum from "that guy's totally relatable!" to "Oh hell what the fuck is that?!"
>>
>>44369704
>realistic
>aliens
>>
>>
File: TFS_5-_Vegeta_kills_bugs_dead.jpg (69 KB, 480x266) Image search: [Google]
TFS_5-_Vegeta_kills_bugs_dead.jpg
69 KB, 480x266
>>44370238
>furry dating sim in Space
Fenoxo pls. If I wanted to play a furry dating sim, I'd be playing CoC. Why'd you have to be such a shit and make TiTS into the same bloody thing, when this could've been a good opportunity to try out diverse and unique Alien races to learn about and have sex with.

Also fuck you finish CoC and keep adding more content you mouthbreather!
>>
>>44370305
Namek > Saiyan
>>
>>44369704
Wayne's aliens are actually not that realistic, except for his work on Avatar. When it comes to aliens, a lot of people have no idea how to do it realistically by the restrictions of evolution. Hell, 99% of the aliens in all media are unrealistic in some way if you use that criteria.

For me, so long as the species is consistent with setting, it doesnt matter whether its a rubber forehead or eldritch starfish from between the stars.
>>
>>44369802
Why are aliens always naked? They always have claws and tendrils and run around naked and shit. Wouldn't a species evolved enough to use space travel and high technology have lost their claws and be smoother, less spikey and hair and wear clothes and armor to protect their bodies?

Don't get me wrong, i'm not one for hard realism and I hate faggots who say shit like aliens don't look alien enough no matter how many tentacles you slap on but stuff like space fairing aliens that look like spikey monsters never made sense to me.
>>
>>44370048
>>44369704
Plausible is the word you're looking for OP
>>
>>44372412
I'm pretty sure it's so the artist can show off all their weird anatomy and colors. If you clothe it you wind up only showing off half the design.
>>
I tend to often let them directly from a variety of franchises.

My last scifi game was run in ffg star wars, using a custom list of species and equipment.

Lots of influence from Stargate, farscape , Andromeda, Defiance, Halo, and a bit of star wars thrown in.

Players all rolled droids but one, who made an Arkanian offshoot melee force adept.

They are doing jobs for a Castithan Crime Lord.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.