[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about using accents for in character talking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: 1429376017617.jpg (21 KB, 386x359) Image search: [Google]
1429376017617.jpg
21 KB, 386x359
How do you feel about using accents for in character talking? Have you ever done it? Is it annoying, or make it hard to take a character seriously?

I have a decker in Shadowrun that sounds like bad impression of Jackie Chan, and it's fun, but I'm seriously considering dropping the accent just because I have trouble taking my own character seriously.
>>
It's one step removed from LARPing, which means it's two steps too far.
>>
I only use one accent, and that's Nazi.
>>
File: aldo.jpg (240 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
aldo.jpg
240 KB, 2000x2000
>>44365083
Ah onlee hues wan axent, an datz natzi.
>>
Best I have ever seen was a korean dwarf in shadowrun with a shitty accent and very stereotypical attitude, but then he got shot very badly, and right before he passed out he yelled with perfect english and a very different voice tone. Guy was faking it the whole time so everyone thought he was just a dumb foreigner. It was pretty cool roleplaying.

>Oooohh. Yes I like.
>This makes boom large.
>Trauma patch's in my vest!
>>
I use mannerisms/speech patterns more than accents (I know that's getting into semantics, but bear with me here). Clerics and paladins talk like superheroes or highschoolers in a Shakespeare play, mad scientists and power-mad wizards laugh at inappropriate times and have a sing-songy lilt to their voices, robots and Neutral type characters speak in halting bursts but say run-on sentences (ex: words words...words words...words words).
>>
>>44364999
I use specific accents and voice patterns for particular NPCs, and then default to a set of archetypal voices for more "background" NPCs. I generally save the comic stereotype sort of voices for the background characters (for example, I'm currently running a campaign in my setting's not-Asia, but only layer on the Charlie Chan for voicing generic members of a crow-race who generally run discount item shops and other shady businesses).
>>
What exactry is the ploblem using foleign accents in LPG?

Seriously, I use accents all the time, mainly to portrait fresh off the boat people (modern games) or merchants from exotic countries (medieval games).
>>
>>44364999

This is why voice games don't get taken seriously.

Scottish dwarves.

Scottish dwarves everywhere.
>>
>>44368333
Mainly because most people are bad at them, and it makes it harder for them to actually act or speak because they're trying so hard to copy an way of speaking.
>>
I'm terrible at accents and different voices.

That's why I use them as often as possible as a DM.
>>
>>44370528
Well as a DM, it's a great thing. The DMs that I've often considered worse have been ones that never change up their voices with their NPCs and talk fairly slowly and lusterlessly, or are just hard to understand.

Though granted, this hasn't been across the board - my Shadowrun GM is wonderful, and he always does the exact same gangster accent for all his characters.
>>
>>44364999

I use voices and accents constantly (I'm a player). Everyone else in the group wants to do the same now, and actively tries to come up with good voices for their characters.
>>
If it's really relevant to the character, and the game is based in the real world and they're from a real world country.

Like I played Shadowrun as a South African mercenary, it made sense to attempt an accent there. Playing as an elf in a fantasy setting though, no reason to attempt an accent.
>>
Gods, really /tg/? No accents? I figured most of you were autistic shit bags that aren't even cool enough to hang out with the drama kids but in your safe space you can be whatever you want
>>
>>44370848
>implying that most people who get into the tabletop aren't wannabe thespians who spend hours quoting movies and shows
>>
>>44368384
I prefer Scandinavian dwarves, quite frankly.
>>
>>44364999
>tfw used the drawl for my Halfling Gunslinger and everyone loved it
>my Human Brawler sounds like a New Yorker and nobody noticed
>play a Dhampir Inquisitor and sound like a Dawn of War Commissar and group is hooked again

I suppose it takes exaggeration.
>>
>>44370930
The characters help - try imagining a short guy that sounds like Clint Eastwood, or essentially a half-vampire that sounds like an angry British officer. A human is a little more generic, and there's not too much contrast even with his role as a brawler. It'd be like making a cleric sound like a southern preacher.
>>
>>44364999
the idea is fine but most players just don't have what it takes to pull them off, and you end up with overused and cringy shit

as long as someone is actually good at it and everyone's having fun, it's completely fine

but if you're that guy who keeps trying to make a scottish/welsh axe-wielding dorf and you end up sounding like luna from dota 2 you're automatically on my shitlist
>>
Tried to do a Scottish accent but people still could understand me.
>>
Accents are fine, I've never had any problem with them in any of my games
>>
>>44364999
Something I learned in acting classes was "if an accent gets in the way of proper characterization: DON'T EVEN BOTHER WITH IT"

Not to mention clarity of communication. and I learned what this meant when I saw our production of Jane Eyre. A lot of actors were clearly too focused on keeping up their English accents than focusing on their characters or voice projection. Shit made it hard to hear people's lines.

Don't even get me started though on Threepenny Opera and the painful use AND SINGING in the thickest Cockney accent mimicry ever.
>>
File: 1347291224125.jpg (15 KB, 336x229) Image search: [Google]
1347291224125.jpg
15 KB, 336x229
>>44372169
>Be English actor
>Come from home counties, stereotypical posh Hugh Grant voice
>Do a production of Berkoff's West
>Have to do Cockney accents
>>
>>44372214
It's not just annoying because it was a bunch of Americans mimicking it, is it? Cockney really is that annoying?

As a side note, I should clarify my post: if you can to an accent naturally, that's great. But if you can't, don't sweat it and just focus on the character.

Randomly...
>That feel when been writing a character who was from Tiger Bay, Cardiff
>Kept calling him English
>Realize now Cardiff is South Wales

In this moment, I am painfully American.
>>
I used to like accents for characters, but one guy in my group ruined them.

He has one accent, and it sounds like Apu from the Simpson's retarded cousin.

If accents are done well, then they're always welcome.
>>
>>44364999
I played a West Country ratling (I prefer hobbit) in Only War. If you're not familiar, it's how Stephen Merchant or the characters of Hot Fuzz speak. I'm from that region so I don't think it was too bad. i enjoyed it anyway.

When I GM I shift between a few light regional (mostly British) for my NPCs. I have a fairly international group, so I stay away from a lot of accents.
>>
Player in my group uses a stereotypical and (I think) rather badly done North German accent. I think it's cringeworthy at best, because I try my best to be not too annoyed by it.

So yes, bad.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.