[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need help. My players asked if I could run a shonen like game.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: wYjAzA9.jpg (254 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wYjAzA9.jpg
254 KB, 1920x1080
Need help.

My players asked if I could run a shonen like game. Problem is, I've never watched an anime. So I have no idea what that "shonen like" means.
>>
>>44364253
I also don't watch anime, but I recently torrented the 1986 Fist of the North Star movie, and really enjoyed it. I would recommend you watch that soon.
>>
Ok, it's easier to actually see it than it to be explained to you.

And "shounen like" is a pretty wide band of possible themes/plots/etc.

If we want to go for classic, watch the following:
>Yu yu Hakusho
>Fist of the North Star
>HunterxHunter
>Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

This should give you a view of what shounen was like in the 90s/00s.
>>
One Piece and Boku no Hero Academia are examples of decent shonen that would be fun to play through. I suggest you read them/some of them (OP is fucking huge so you probably don't have time to read all of it). Kongou Banchou is also worth mentioning here, along with Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer (technically not shounen but so close to shounen done right it doesn't matter).
>>
>>44364253
Watch the first episode of Tower of Druaga.
>>
>>44364253
Abandon group.

anime; not even once.
>>
>>44364319
I would argue against One Piece. One Piece has a lot of serious issue, especially post time-skip,
>>
Tell your players to stop being fuckin weaboos.
>>
>>44364301
I'd say Yu Yu Hakusho is probably your best bet to get an idea of it.

It's one of the better "traditional" shonen shows. It plays the common themes and tropes pretty straight but does a good job with them.
>>
>>44364412
Fair enough, I wouldn't disagree.
>>
run the tomb of horrors

"shonen" loosely translates into "extreme lethality"
>>
OP, watch Eureka 7. I always loved how each of the characters there was unique and had a lot of personality to them. It also has great plot, and is a great example of what I would personally want in a shonen-like game.

It has awesome side characters, pretty cool bad guys, mcguffins, quests, recurring villains, etc. Seriously consider it.
>>
OP probably just wants /tg/'s opinion on anime.
>>
>>44364253
Magi: Labyrinth of Magic is the most /tg/ related shonen I can think of, and it doesn't take too long to watch.
>>
>>44364253
>shonen like
i mean bersekr is technically a shonen so watch the three movies if you don want to spend to much time on it and, if you do have the time and arent bothered by old animation style watch the anime.
might not be exactly what youd expect for shonen but if you can pull it off right using that for inspiration is good long as you dont go to far.
>>
Shonen can mean different things to different people. You should get everyone together and talk about characters. If one person wants to be Super Saijin God Super Saijin Goku from Dragon Ball Super and one person wants to be just a regular guy that can fight that would be a problem.
>>
>>44364253
That doesn't mean much, because shonen isn't a genre per se. Still, this >>44364301
anon got it right. If you have the time, read the manga of Fist of the North Star, the anime has a ton of filler
>>
Listen here, OP. Firstly, half the people in this thread are trolling, and the other half don't know what it means.

'Shonen' roughly translates to 'few years', and basically means series that are aimed at young kids in their teens.

A lot of different series can be catagorized as shonen, but they most likely mean Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tale, shows of that nature. The other shows people are mentioning may or may not be shonen in one regard, but my mentioned shows are probably the ones they mean considering the common themes between them.

The idea behind most of those shows is the main character slowly unlocks his powers with fighting and training.

I'm telling you now, unless you want to watch a few hundred episodes of Naruto or whatever, you aren't going to be able to captivate the essence of one of these shows without a large binge of anime, which you probably aren't wanting to do.

I would also say your player group probably all have shit taste, but that's just the /a/ in me getting annoyed.

Hope this helped.
>>
>all these salty /a/nons
No need to be upset. People can like shows besides just cute girls doing cute things.
>>
>>44364253
>says he never watched an anime
>posts 5 cm per second picture
Go troll somewhere else /a/
>>
>>44366105
JoJo part 1 to 6 is shounen man
>>
>>44366334
Yeah, but I don't think muscular men posing and shouting exposition at eachother is what the OP's group meant.

However, I would actively pay to be involved with a JoJo RP. Shit sounds like giggles.
>>
>>44366383
I would totally play a silly "scream at each other" shonen if it was played as a parody of shonen. Like OnePunchMan.
>>
>>44364253
If only you had access to some vast repository of knowledge and examples of the genre, accessed by the machine you posted with.

Fucking Google it you cockmongler. There. Fucking done. All of it. You've now researched it.
You want extra credit? You want to go the full mile?Pick one of the top three shonen shows/manga/injectibles and fucking experience an episode or two. Repeat twice.
You know know what shonen is.

Christ, you should not need to ask this shit on the internet. You have the internet. The answer is already inside it.

Yes I know it's bait. I'm mad enough to bite.
>>
>>44364253
Well first off, don't. Shonen is the anime genre of "the player characters will always win by unlocking their hidden deus ex machina while shouting catchphrases." That makes me sound like I hate shonen; I don't, it's fucking awesome. The new JoJo series was the hypest shit. But, it's the sort of thing that needs a script and to specifically not be an RPG, because the visual and the viewer/character split is a huge part of the experience.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.