[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG friendly noob thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: Mtg_logo.png (73 KB, 396x96) Image search: [Google]
Mtg_logo.png
73 KB, 396x96
How do I get into MTG? I want to play over the internet preferable. Cocatrice?
>>
You can either get Magic Workstation

or download Magic Duels on Steam
>>
magic 2014 is really good. it's a video game but playing against the AI in that teaches you how the game works, how the cards work together and what their rules do, etc.
it has a really good modding community which I didn't even know about until I played it for more than 80 hours.

but one thing, it really spoils you against IRL magic since the computer takes care of everything.
I can't remember how many times I forgot to tap the stupid lands playing IRL or actually do the basic stuff.
anyways I don't know why but playing magic offline doesn't interest me that much but I really love the games.
anyway if you want to play with people there are some still playing 2014 but not much. also it's good until you're settled into the game and don't care about using semi-stock decks.
>>
>>44362984
>internet
Magic Duels via Steam (Limited pool, but reasonable price)
2014 was best in my opinion. But 2016 is newest

Cocatrice (No price, no limit, no rules)

MTGO (Official online tool. Pretty much like the real thing, including the money sink, but hosts real sanctioned events.)
>>
>>44362984

Don't listen to these heretics, anon. Magic is meant to be played with REAL cards against opponents in person.

Go find a comic/card shop or if necessary a Walmart and get yourself a starter deck. This has everything you need for a basic deck as well a book with the basic rules.

Then find a place to play. The previously mentioned comic store will usually have an area for that and they almost always have a Friday game night.

Just make sure you find other newbies to play with. Nothing sucks more than getting your shit pushed in by some dweeb that spent $300 building a deck....
>>
>>44363661
>$300 building a deck

Sorry, I think you meant $1500.

$300 won't get you much.
>>
>>44363999
Depends on your format and how competitively you play.
>>
>>44365742
I'm with you on this one. I just bought a box of Origins and Battle for Zendikar today (starting to get back into the game) and that should be enough for me- and less than 300 (even with the two starter decks I picked up recently). I probably could've gotten a decently competitive FNM Standard deck for the same amount (if I knew what I wanted). It's just the older formats or the super competitive stuff that gets expensive.
>>
>>44365742
>complaining about tryhard dweebs
>they aren't even playing t1 decks

T1 standard: $500-800
T1 modern: $700-2000
T1 legacy: $2000-3000 (Excluding cheaty burn which is $500)
>>
>>44365829
And when I say T1 I'm talking actual T1 like Tron.

>>44365818
Standard is so much more expensive than eternal formats that it's ridiculous.

You're paying $300-800 for a deck that will last you months then lose over 50% of its value.

As opposed to a one time purchase of around $500-800(Or up to 2000 for the decks that are literally "put all expensive staples into one deck"), that lasts forever.
>>
>>44363999

>>44363999

Playing Modern Mono-Green Stompy here

Had to sink in the $10 for Magic Online and another $20 on top of that, still have 4 tix left on my account.

I now have all the cards I want or need barring two Scavenging Oozes, I'm just not bothering since they're a whole ten tix each.

I don't imagine I win as much as I would with a massively expensive deck, but victory is extra sweet when you're beating face with commons, your opponent's fetches and shocklands are just killing them faster and you get to win with a Giant fucking Growth.
>>
>>44365947
The foils are 9 tix.
>>
>>44363999
>he guys I want to start playing magic
>better drop $1500 on a tier 1 deck for a game you have no idea how to play in a format you don't know exists

Mcfucking kill yourself tryhard
>>
>>44365997
Careful there edgelord, you might cut someone.

Nowhere did I say I recommended he buy a deck for $1500.

I was commenting on his attitude that people with $300 decks were "tryhards", which is a shitty attitude to have.
>>
>>44365997

I struggled enough with the Rancors and Avatar of the Resolute. More than a dollar each, holy shit.
>>
>>44365947

>Scavenging Oozes

I just made myself a christmas gift and I got them for my stompy. This deck is much better than people give it credit.
>>
>>44366355

I honestly love it, especially finding more depth to it as I play more. There's a lot of advantage to be gained with the deck as you gain skill and knowledge.
>>
File: consider the following.jpg (29 KB, 605x328) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.jpg
29 KB, 605x328
>>44362984
Meh, it's really not worth it online. I played MTG + MTGO for years but the game design itself and related corporate/politics/community have devolved into just such utter horseshit that it now suffers from 40k Syndrome, i.e. is only worth playing because it's what everybody plays and you wanna go out and play something. But if you're playing an online game then the social aspect is gone anyway so you might as well just play some computer game that is actually good.

Getting into MTG now is like getting into WoW in 2015. It's over dude, you missed the bus. They golden age is gone, very very gone.
>>
>>44365829
Wait, how was I complaining about tryhards? There's nothing wrong with paying a lot of money to play competitively, I just happen to mostly play casual, that's all, and it might be better to start out in a more casual format than immediately sinking a bunch of money in, if you don't know you're going to like the game.
>>
>>44366625
Because you were implying someone who had spent $300 on their deck was a loser.

Following this line of thought, one can assume that you are deriding them for being more heavily invested in the game than you. Aka "tryharding".

On the topic of playing casually, I also recommend that for someone starting the game completely fresh.

Although the very first thing I recommend is Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014
>>
>>44366407

Few days ago I played against my friend's jund (read: value.deck). I was expecting to get my shit kicked, but I was able to reach over 50% winratio against him. The games were really frustrating tho, with all the disruption Jund sports.
>>
>>44365873
Not really. Standard is cheaper for a deck by FAR. Yes you have to replace it, but it takes a while to add up. And for most people, it's easier to pay smaller amounts over a period of time. Plus, with the eternal formats, you're not encouraged as much to play different types of decks just because you'd have to dish out a few thousand dollars to change it.
>>
>>44368593
This is just blatantly false.

First off, a tier 1 deck doesn't have to cost "a few thousand dollars".

Secondly, if the deck DID cost a few thousand dollars, it would however be staples that retained their value and would most likely be used in said other deck. You would NOT have to spend that money again on another deck.

Not only that, but the cards you DON'T use in the new deck can easily be traded away for new cards as their value doesn't fall and are in high demand.

So yes, one standard deck is cheaper than an eternal deck (although it's not even by much! Look at todays standard prices.), but it rotates and guess what, you HAVE to dish out more money to not only change it, but to KEEP playing at all. And those cards that just rotated aren't worth shit anymore.

And guess what? Stopped playing Magic? You can SELL your deck. Depending on how you go through with it, you should be able to get roughly the same amount of money back as you paid for it. Odds are, it's worth more than when you bought it.

Fuck you for propagating the "standard is cheaper" fallacy.
>>
>>44369546
That is just completely and utterly false.

First, tier 1 decks DO cost that much. Another anon priced them out earlier in the thread- I suggest you scroll up.

Second, they only hold their value if the deck isn't hit with a banlist, which happens. Even then, people might want to build a DIFFERENT deck. It happens. People get bored of playing the same thing over and over. So yes, you would wind up having to invest in another deck sooner or later.

In either case, Standard is similar- deck staples tend to last for most of the format where they're legal and can be traded and sold as well. They're also far cheaper to build initially.

Again, Standard is cheaper to get into, and while it requires continual investment, it's probably still cheaper than eternal formats.

Fuck you for just being a stupid asshole. Also, fuck you for not presenting a good argument. A third fuck you for misusing the word ""fallacy."
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.