[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/, relatively new here. I've never GM'd a fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: pathfinder.png (535 KB, 960x450) Image search: [Google]
pathfinder.png
535 KB, 960x450
Hey /tg/, relatively new here.

I've never GM'd a fantasy game before. I have no idea what systems are popular or good among the highbrow tastes of /tg/.

What systems would you recommend, and can you tell me the major pros and cons of each?

pic may or may not be related.
>>
>>44361536
for a beginner like yourself, Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition. it is very beginner friendly
>>
>>44361561
This
It's easy, it's accessible. Need you say more?
>>
>>44361561
>>44361587

Is 5e considered a stepping stone onto 3.5e, or are they both valid versions of D&D in their own right?
>>
Dungeon World. It has fast dynamic combat, mechanics that encourage roleplaying, and a fast resolution mechanic that no other game can match. It is also far cheaper than Pathfinder, and doesn't use miniatures which are bad for immersive gameplay.
>>
>>44361619
Nothing is a stepping stone into 3.5 or PF. Avoid 3.5 and PF.
>>
>>44361870

Agreed. Dungeon World is much better and should be played instead of 5e. It offers much more dynamic game play and enhanced character options compared to 5e or any D&D edition for that matter.
>>
>>44361536
Seconding/thirding/etc. 5e. It's a good system, relatively friendly to beginners with lots of wiggle room for houserules and homebrew without having the whole thing fall like a house of cards. Pop on over to /5eg/ for PDFs of the books and if you have any questions. >>44349662
>>
Cheers for the responses and the links, 5e it is, and I'll do my research into Dungeon World.
>>
>>44361968
lmao dungeon world is shallow as hell. Are you high?>>44361757
>>44361968
>>
>>44361619
5e is what 3.5 should have been from the start and an improvement in almost every way, so no.
>>
>>44362170
I don't agree with DW being that shallow of a system, but he's definitely doing some high level trolling by suggesting it to a beginner while also acting as an obnoxious fan.
>>
>>44362063

And thus another drone in the D&D army was born. Sigh.

The game is bad for the hobby.
>>
>>44362195
>an improvement in almost every way, so no.

no.

> feats
> character options
> monsters
> content in general

But I forgot

WAH WAH WAH HOMEBREW YOUR OWN

Ironically, the same battlecry was used by 3.5fags.

Fucking kek. D&D never changes.

>>44362226

What? No, I genuinely like Dungeon World.
>>
my first time DMing i used Pathfinder and it has been perfectly fine and functional for me. it wasn't hard to learn and the players liked the mix of options for character creation without it being over complicated
>>
>>44364118
Please remember that you're comparing a two year old game to a ten year old game. Of course the ten year old game will have more content.

Core to core, 5e has more meaningful content than 3.5. Ten races (most of which with one or two sub-races) and twelve classes (all of which have at least two Archetypes) in 5e.

Compare this to seven races in 3.5 (none of which have subraces) and eleven classes (none of which have archetypes).

This isn't even getting into the issue of balance, where 3.5 is at a definite disadvantage. Casters will still be more versatile in 5e, but martials can actually do things other than hit really hard now.

That said, a fun game can be had with 3.5/Pathfinder, you just have to be aware of its problems and work around them. Other nice games for fantasy include

Legend of the Five Rings
Fantasy Craft
Lamentations of the Flame Princess
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.