[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Horus Heresy/30k general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: 1450752275388.jpg (210 KB, 812x542) Image search: [Google]
1450752275388.jpg
210 KB, 812x542
You got Xenos in my 30k Edition

>HHG FAQ - http://pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8

>HHG RULES - https://mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!EVh0GZZS

>New! Playtesters (and armchair analysts) wanted!
>Xenos in 30K Homebrew - https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Xenos_in_30k

>Previous thread
>>44312776
>>
>>44360980
First for Ahriman
>>
>>44360980

Who's the chibi ultramarine next to the Mechanicus supposed to be?
>>
>>44361106
Solar Auxilia?
Too small to be a marine, so I assume it's a normal human in void armour?
>>
File: AL_Pre-Heresy_Iconography.jpg (68 KB, 413x357) Image search: [Google]
AL_Pre-Heresy_Iconography.jpg
68 KB, 413x357
>>44361106
pic related.

Actually, it's Solar Auxillia
>>
>>44361174
I was going to say... there are like half a dozen copies of Alpharius hidden among the Marines, and then there's Omegon (not Alphrius) with the traitors...
But then I saw that spoiler of yours, good on you.
>>
>>44361209

Holy shit how did I not notice that
>>
>>44361297
I think that was kind of the point. They're hidden in plain sight, but I imagine quite a few people will miss them.
>>
>>44360980
First for get those xenos the fuck out
>>
>tfw no 30k Tau
>>
>>44361328
Theres also the Dark Angel on the Traitor side.
>>
>>44363199
Indeed there is, cool!
>>
>>44363158
And thank fuck for that!
>>
File: I like.gif (628 KB, 245x242) Image search: [Google]
I like.gif
628 KB, 245x242
>>44363158
I love it. No Tau to cause skub in 30k. Feels great. They're probably not even tribals yet in the Great Crusade era. I'm probably wrong but who cares.
>>
>>44363468
>They're probably not even tribals yet in the Great Crusade era.
They aren't. First contact was in 40k, and that was before they started killing each other.
>>
>>44363468
Most of Tau societal development happened in the 8,000 years or so prior to the current point in the 40K universe, so you're probably quite correct. They won't even have Ethereals yet if I recall correctly.
>>
>>44363485
>>44363506
So what are they in the Great Crusade era? Cavemen?
>>
>>44363158
What Great Crusade/Horus Heresy force would you use Tau rules to represent, that you wouldn't be better off just proxying Imperialis Militia & Cults or Auxilia or Mchanicum?
>>
>>44363602
>Auxilia or Mchanicum
These or a bunch of pirates wanting to join the insanity of the HH.
>>
>>44363582
Hunter Gatherer society I believe, with the castes as they'll be later already forming.
So Fire is already quite war-like. Earth loves building cities and Air rents themselves out as scouts for both sides and act as couriers, with Water acting like merchants and such.

That was in the 1st or 2nd Tau codex I believe.
>>
>>44363582
Space apes. T'au equivalent of it.

>>44363468
But there are Necrons.

Necron dynasties have watched the Great Crusade surf its way across the galaxy. The Triarch Praetorian watched humanity rise up from the muck and form a galactic empire. After witnessing the greatest of human achievements and endeavours, the Necrons were unimpressed.

Trazyn claims Girlyman is his "friend". Whether he is telling the truth or not, remains to be seen.
>>
>>44363582
That should have been for you: >>44363679
>>
>>44363687
>Space apes. T'au equivalent of it.
Now we need art.
>>44363687
>the Necrons were unimpressed.
Crons look down on other races anyway. Send them some malware or drop thousands of flayers off in their tombs. Ought to teach them a lesson.
>>44363690
I got it.
>>
>>44363582
Rumour has it the Ethereals are a product of Eldar meddling, and because of the subtle influence Ethereals hold over the unwashed Tau masses it's postulated that there's some kind of psychic link behind it all. It's really subtle though, not enough for them to be able to tap into the warp or be able to be influenced by Chaos.

This level of nuanced tampering with an entire, albeit fledgling, race is most likely the mark of Craftworld Eldar, and I believe CE are a relatively new thing to the galaxy around the time of 30k. The Fall occurred not long before the Great Crusade, I believe. Correct this theory if I'm wildly off the mark.

The aim was most likely to create a race of sentient beings that would inherit the Eldar's mantle without the possibility of their succumbing to Chaos.
>>
>>44363814
The Murder Clowns are around though so that could be a nudge in the right direction.
>>
>>44363814
the warp storm clearing effect the Fall of the Eldar had on the galaxy allowed the Emperor to start his Crusade, so yes, it wasn't too long ago. A couple of centuries, maybe a millenium or so, but not too much longer than that.
>>
>>44363814
Yeah, the Fall was what made the Great Crusade possible because Slaanesh's birth cleared the warp storms. If the earlier phases of the Eldar Empire becoming depraved caused those warp storms that started the Age of Strife... does that mean they were responsible for the end of the Dark Age of Technology? And how did humans manage to spread out and do great things back then if the Eldar were running the galaxy? We didn't even earn their respect at the time, apparently. You'd think they'd remember.

I also wonder if it's really necessary for the Eldar to be involved with the Tau. Humans started cities what, 5,000 years ago? In the time the Imperium gave the Tau, they could easily go from primitive to space-faring.

>>44363679
Hunter-gatherers sounds right. At some point during or after the Great Crusade humans noticed them, wrote a note to wipe them out and colonize that world, but they never got around to it.

There may be a Necron tomb world waking up here and there in this era. Genestealers, potentially, but no Tyranids - though you could use them to represent a wide range of xenos.
>>
>>44363996
If there are gene stealers there was tyranids
>>
>>44363996
>And how did humans manage to spread out and do great things back then if the Eldar were running the galaxy?
Avoided the worlds that smell space elf like.
>>
>>44363996
>Hunter-gatherers sounds right. At some point during or after the Great Crusade humans noticed them, wrote a note to wipe them out and colonize that world, but they never got around to it.

No, anon. It wasn't Great Crusade humanity that noticed them. I believe it was Post-HH Imperium.
>>
>>44363602
Maybe some other advanced alien or human civilization..
>>
>>44364088
The genestealers arrived hundreds of years earlier than the first known tyranids. They're the advance party.
>>
>>44363996
>does that mean they were responsible for the end of the Dark Age of Technology?
Not consciously, but mostly yes. Though a couple of other events (Iron Men, surges in Orks, etc.) made it a double-whammy.

>And how did humans manage to spread out and do great things back then if the Eldar were running the galaxy?
There are trillions of inhabitable planets and asteroid belts in the galaxy, the Eldar weren't monitoring every one; in fact they mostly stuck around their own empire in the north-west, with scattered Exodites to the far east.

The Dark Age of Technology had wondrous advances and countless colonies and settlements, but never a unified empire, which makes it a very different scenario to the later Imperium. There were no galactic-spanning tithes or standing armies; you had local forces plus whatever arrangements you had with your closest neighbors. Some tiny empires had networks of prosperous worlds across a couple of star systems, others were cut off and alone.

But it's like asking "How are ants successful, aren't there humans on Earth?"
>>
>>44364313
Except there are other gone native tyranids
>>
>>44364313
fenrisian krakens, catachan devils

there's several "advance parties"
>>
>>44364177
Yeah, maybe. I'm struggling to think of one, though. Any from the books or something that you can think the Tau would be a good fit for?

Everything I can think of are either better done with Auxilia/Imperialis Militia/Mechanicum lists (Brotherhood of Ruin, etc.) or at least are NOT done better with Tau (Interex, Laer, etc.)
>>
>>44364427
>fenrisian krakens, catachan devils
Theories only, they've never been conclusively linked to the Hive Fleets.
>>
>>44363996
>but they never got around to it.
Well, about that...

The Explorator fleet inexplicably never arrived. With suspiciously active Eldar in the region...

What they never got around to was sending another Explorator fleet.
>>
>>44364313
>hundreds of years
I'm sure that at least old fluff mentions Dark Angels and Blood Angels and Salamanders all clearing out genestealers during the Great Crusade.
>>
File: Purge2.jpg (144 KB, 988x700) Image search: [Google]
Purge2.jpg
144 KB, 988x700
I love all the nasty rad, chem and bio weapons the Death Guard use but I'm not a huge fan of their colour scheme.
Would those nasty weapons like Phosphex be too powerful in 40k? Because I'm thinking of using their rules for my Purge warband. The FW formation is ok-ish but only chem flamers and missiles won't do it for me. Don't want to powergame (i'm playing CSM after all) but a little more oomph to my evil arsenal would be nice.
>>
>>44364881
30k Marine lists are weaker than 40k by a long shot due to lack of formations so go for it
>>
>>44365102
Though you'll burn a smoking smouldering hole in any large terminator squads you'll run into. Phosphex is very potent stuff, and Rad missiles/grenades are nothing to sneeze at.
Might help equalize things a little bit.
>>
>>44363854
I wouldn't rule out the Laughing God creating the Etherals as a joke.
>>
>>44365137
vs grav spam its still no contest. It's not that 30k marines are bad, just underpowered by comparison
>>
>>44365168
I can believe that. He's gotta be getting endless keks from Tau's sheer naivete in all matters galactical.
>>
>>44365183
Grav-guns (the 40k version anyway) were a horrid mistake on GWs part. They're just too good vs. heavy infantry. I like their 30k counterparts much better.
>>
>>44363602
Thats what 40k is for anon. HH isnt the place for Tau armies.
>>
>>44365211
Well, Tau did "kill Slaanesh". So I would say it was worth the time investment.
>>
>>44365264
This, if you want to play Tau just play 40K why would you want to fuck up 30K with your faggotry?

I don't get it, there's a background specifically build for you want crowbar yourself into a different one, you planning on proxying Tau into a AOS or infinity game any time soon.

Not quite as bad as the BaC kid who wanted to play a homebrew legion that was basically just Emperor's Children colours with the best legion traits and no drawbacks but it's close.
>>
Thinking of running Immortals with Volkite chargers and Autek mor with them. Yea or nay? Should I stick with regular bolters with the two gravition guns im sticking with them?
>>
>>44365566
Not him, but I would still like to take my 30k army for a spin against 40k armies like Tyranids and Orks for fun.
>>
>>44365628
I'd love some Ork and Eldar 30k rules. They could just tell us to use the 40k codex with a massive errata cutting down power levels (at least for craftworld Eldar - would Orks and DE be okay as-is?). Some of the 40k Eldar special characters were around at the time!
>>
>>44365628
I get Orks and Eldar. Tyranids proxy well for alien wildlife like the arachnids. I just really hate Tau, hell I even hate them in 40K but they definitely don't fit in HH.

I'd actually love to see FW do some massive Primarch sized ork warbosses as described at Ullanor and The wolf of ash and fire. Or just a downloadable PDF army list for orks in the Graet Crusade era to balance the armies. Although it's not going to happen.
>>
>>44365615
I don't see much point in bringing graviton guns with immortals. Chargers are cheaper and better for something that will probably end up in assault
>>
>>44365698
>Although it's not going to happen.
It'll happen.

I wouldn't hold my breath, because it won't happen until after the Siege of Terra, but they'll get around to it.
>>
>>44365693
>I'd love some Ork and Eldar 30k rules.

This please. Orks could have bigger mandatory units (20+ min) but all of them have Nob profiles, Waaghnbosses with near Primarch stats and the like. Would be cool. Eldar could stay as is.
>>
>>44365850
The purity of mankind's war simulator should not be tainted by the presence of filthy space animals
>>
>>44365693

I want Eldar to essentially be an aspect warrior army, since all the phoenix lords were much more active at this point. It could include the slicing orbs as well as newly minted craftworlders who aren't quite what they are in 40k yet
>>
>>44365698
>>44365850
The OP has a link to somebody's homebrew for them. I like the general idea, but the guy gave all the main races Rites for some reason.
>>
>>44365904
Good point, craftworlds would have larger populations at this point and fewer guardians - those are all former aspect warriors, and this is potentially less than one eldar lifetime after the craftworlds took off. The dark eldar wouldn't be much different through, if it's true that 40k de are very similar to the pre-fall eldar.

But you know where FW should spend their time? Exodites.
>>
>>44365693
I would love it if Forge World made some Blood Axes minis that mimics the primarchs.
>>
>>44364881
>but I'm not a huge fan of their colour scheme.
I wish people would educate themselves on this. Every legion had dozens of different color schemes. You want Ultramarines that are half blue, half yellow? Regimental color scheme! You want white Imperial Fists? Specialized heraldry company! You want red Salamanders? Campaign-specific honors! Don't feel limited by the color scheme you may think you know the legions for. Stretch your imagination and you can justify any color scheme (within reason) for any legion.
>>
>>44365980

Well remember DE already existed by 30k and were doing their own thing.

The Eldar army could be to Aspect Warriors as the Crusades list is to 40k marines: similar but still very different. They could have equipment they didn't have later on and could have other fun things from 2nd Ed, like 2 wound IC exarchs with tons of customization
>>
>>44366395
Well, it would be before Vect took over. So armies ruled by nobles might be a whole lot more individual.
>>
>>44365904
I think the new codex has a formation (aspect host?) that allows just that. As an additional boon you get to be BS5 on everything.
>>
Are any of the Ultramarine special units worth it? They seem expensive compared to what they bring to the table.
>>
>>44365168
>>44365211
This.
>>
>>44360980
Hey, 30K general I need some serious help!

I have been building a 30k army for some time now and I got the Calth box set as a Christmas gift and I have no idea how to integrate the models with what I have.

Here's what I have:
Sons of Horus with Orbital Assault RoW:
>Loken
>Command Squad
>Libby termie
>Forge lord on a jet-bike
>Terminator squad with power weapons, bolters, and a reaper
>2 Apothecaries
>Contemptor Mortis
>10 man Tacticals with bolters
>20 man Tacticals with bolters
>3 jet-bikes
>Storm eagle
>Fire raptor
>5 man autocannon squad
>5 normal drop pods
>dread drop pod
>>
>>44367454
I have plenty of jump packs, CCWs, and other bits for converting by the way
>>
>>44363996
>Yeah, the Fall was what made the Great Crusade possible because Slaanesh's birth cleared the warp storms
What the fuck? No, nono, that is not how that happened at all. Slaanesh's birth caused the Eye of Terror and all the warp storms in the galaxy. Humanity was already dealing with the Men of Iron rebellion and the sudden appearance of Psykers, when Slaanesh's birth scream blew out all the Psykers and made them living portals for Daemons to explode through. This started Old Night, in about M25.

The warp storms were abating around M31 or so, and that is when the Emperor decided it was time to launch the Crusade.
>>
>>44365980
>But you know where FW should spend their time? Exodites.
I agree wholeheartedly.
>>
>>44367454
>>44367454

Reavers. Lot's of Reavers if you want straight out of the box unit if you have the bits.
>>
>>44367842
Reavers are so versatile, what's the best way to build them? 5 man or 10? Shooty? Stabby? Jump packs?
>>
>>44367533
You should probably tell Vaults of Terra that they are misinforming people then.
>>
File: Happy Birthday.png (264 KB, 313x434) Image search: [Google]
Happy Birthday.png
264 KB, 313x434
>>44367907
But first he should take it up with the Eldar Codices.
>>
>>44365566
>>44365628
>>44365693
>>44365698
>>44365850
>>44365904
>>44365980
>>44366395
>>44367780
Yeah, that's pretty much what OP's new link is for, someone's homebrewed custom HH rules for xenos armies.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Xenos_in_30k

>>44365908
I guess he figures the Rites of War are sort of like HH's version of Formations, so everyone needs one.
>>
>>44367780
>>44365980

I'm surprised they don't make Exodites already. Exodites are a larger opportunity than Corsairs, since Corsairs are largely just re-skinned DE and some resin addons to normal Eldar. Exodites are entirely unique sculpts, and possible Lizardmen crossover compatibility.
>>
>>44367533
I think you're confusing several events...
>>
>>44367881
Start with 2x15 with packs

Then ask yourself what you want/need. based on what you have I would go with a splash of power weapons. Then add volkite chargers to taste if you have the points. Just don't go too wild.
>>
>>44368020
Which I could understand, if more than 1 out of the 5 (ish) army lists had them. A friend and I agree that Orcs definitely need them, and it couldn't hurt the tyranid power level, but his eldar have enough customization and even as a necron player, I don't think it's really necessary for us to have them. Especially in 30k era, when so few of the dynasties had even started to stir.
>>
>>44368020

The Ork one is relatively unimaginative. What I want out of 30k Orks is the Gorro/Ullanor type, Super Orks that have been jacked up on centuries of unending war, with Boys with Nob Stats, Mobs of Nobs with Warboss Stats and Warlords powerful enough to go toe to toe with Primarchs.

Also there were no Stompas, Gorkanaugts/Morkanaughts or Dreads in 30k. Those all came from Orks seeing the Legions using them and aping their designs during the Scouring.
>>
>>44368786

>Super Orks that have been jacked up on centuries of unending war, with Boys with Nob Stats, Mobs of Nobs with Warboss Stats and Warlords powerful enough to go toe to toe with Primarchs.

None of this shit existed
>>
Future Blood Angels player here, is it worth using the Photon Sabre over the tried and tested Paragon Blade?
>>
>>44369143
For reference the Photon blade is 50 points for AP2 fear, fleshbane, soulblaze, blind
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1176x1648) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1176x1648
>>44369128
>>
>>44369306

Again, I'm not seeing much evidence for such a claim.

The Orks in that story were mostly technologically augmented which means at most they'd probably have access to certain weapons, better armor saves, FNP, maybe some other wargear, and maybe a +1 boost to strength and or toughness.

Off the top of my head, Meganobz don't have better stats than regular Nobz, bar armor save.
>>
>>44369128

I was chatting to one of the forge world chaps at the international scale modellers show. He was very explicit about what 30k orks were like. He also promised that they were going to release a PDF as a stop gap to modify codex to make it fluffy if not exactly balanced, although there is so sign of it yet. The most concrete point was that orks would have some form if lords of war section added for big gribblies.

He said that in general all orks in 30k were larger, the average boy was the size of a modern nob, presumably after centuries of sucess with no imperium, chaos, tyranids defeating them in combat. It doesn't sit quite with me, but he was very sure that was what they had been discussing and if fw publish it it will be canon. He described the warlord at ullanor as "almost throttling the emperor to death" and making ghazghzull look like a grot.

As far as tech goes, he explained that modern ork tech is very much a copy of imperial, gargants and stompas are a direct response to imperial titans encountered on Armageddon. Before then they did not have such big stompies. Obviously there would be no looted vehicles or vehicles that looks human style. That begs the question, what would they leave? Squigs? Battle wagons like the big skull things from epic?
>>
>>44369402
Is this actual pasta or do you just keep the text around for whenever you want to repost it?
>>
>>44369402
it leaves proppa mobs, ya git.
>>
>>44369402

We wuz nobz n shit
>>
>>44369432

It's actual text. I've seen it posted on several 30k forums.
>>
>>44369189
well, 50 points is a whole fucking lot, but its also a scary weapon
on the other hand, paragon blades are pretty quality, its more of a question of either forcing your opponent to roll more invulns, or hoping for a lucky 6 and a failed 4+
>>
>>44369128

There was definitely massive Orks. This description of The Beast from I am Slaughter.

>There was little sense of scale, but Maskar appeared to be looking into the eyes of the most immense ork warboss. The creature was so mature, so vast and bloated, its features were distorted. Broken tusks like tree trunks jutted from the cliff edge of its lower jaw. It was staring right out of the screen with tiny, gleaming yellow eyes, its jaw moving.
>‘That bastard thing is aboard the moon,’ Heth said. ‘It’s their leader. I think he’s the size of a damn hab-block, Maskar. Saints of Terra, there hasn’t been an ork boss that massive since Ullanor. I mean, they just don’t develop to that size any more. Look, look. In the foreground? Those are greenskin warriors. They look like children.’
>>
>>44369143
>not using a giant lightsaber

It's like you're allergic to fun
>>
>>44363687
>Trazyn claims Girlyman is his "friend". Whether he is telling the truth or not, remains to be seen.
Considering all Trayzn has done in the past, it wouldn't suprise me. Hell, rowboat is currently in stasis, and Trazyn likes to keep all his stuff in stasis, so they have one thing in common
>>
>>44365850
>Eldar could stay as is

You sure about that anon? 295 point GC's with ranged D. D templates in Wave Serpents. 55 point D blast template artillery with psyker raining death on HH meq lists.... Scatterbikes.... and so much more.

No thanks bro, I'll pass but I think theres a WarConvo guy over there....
>>
Got my first dracosan on opening my one eve present. Feels good to begin the armor blitz of 20 lasriflemen
>>
>>44368144
thank you for the help. Jump packs or no?
>>
>>44370745
>>44368144
>with packs

Yes. They're potent jump scoring units. They can run interdiction duty, kill things like tacticals off enemy objectives, and the like. Power weapons ensure they maim and sweep, volkites give a little extra punch pre assault, and 15 bodies help outnumber and provide ablative wounds for your better equipped guys.
>>
>>44370827
>They're potent jump scoring units
with the Reaving RoW*
>>
>>44360980
I've been out of it since book 3 hit. Are there any new units open to all legions?

Also is lightning claws a good way to outfit vanilla termies?
>>
>>44370913

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought
Deredeo
upcoming Mastodon

Dunno when exactly 3 came out it was so long ago. Sicarans maybe?
>>
>>44366206
So I can have red and yellow world eaters? :^)
>>
>>44370836
Are they still good with Orbital Assault? I think it means they'll have to deep strike
>>
>>44370920

Xiphon interceptor but its trash

Quad Mortar Rapier

Some Solar Auxilia/AdMech/Knight stuff.
>>
>>44370931
Delegatus and Praevian Consuls.
>>
>>44370928
Yes. If you convert some of your pods into anvillus you can give them mobile ablative AV12. That's a taste thing, more bodies and always move 12" or fewer and protection from small arms but a poppable transport.

Normal pods aren't bad either because in 30k you can stay inside and shoot out of. Then you can equip them with an emphasis on shooty and then assault outwards. Seekers pack a bit more killing power, but Precision Shots is great for taking out apoths, vex bearers, character etc. And they are better in CC than Seekers.
>>
>>44370948

Those are the two event guys right? Forgot they came with generic rules.

There's that one crappy MC PF Centurion with set warlord trait too.
>>
>>44367083
A lot of people really like the Invictarus Suzerains.

The Fulmentarus Terminators are basically Tyrant Siege Terminators with more options, though they're 150 points more expensive to equip with Missile Launchers. So I get the feeling the Tyrants are getting a points rebalance at some point.

Locutarus Squads are better equipped assault squads, but they're pretty expensive. I imagine they will fair better though, as they do all have power weapons.
>>
>>44371238
>So I get the feeling the Tyrants are getting a points rebalance at some point
i doubt that, since fulmentarus get that funky ignores cover shit
i am kinda pissed that ultras straight up lifted one of our legion specific units because goolimang never had a unique thought in his life
>>
File: BLPROCESSED-pharos-ebook.jpg (158 KB, 650x823) Image search: [Google]
BLPROCESSED-pharos-ebook.jpg
158 KB, 650x823
>Just as Guilliman’s dream of Imperium Secundus seems finally to be realised, the Night Lords launch a full invasion of distant Sotha. Their target? The mysterious Mount Pharos…

>READ IT BECAUSE

Long-running plot threads tie together in a new full-length Horus Heresy novel. Roboute Guilliman's new Imperium faces its first test as the Night Lords, scattered after the events of Prince of Crows, attack in force. And of course, Curze is still around... the scene with him and Sanguinius facing one another is a Heresy fan's dream come true.

>THE STORY

With the noble Emperor Sanguinius ruling from Macragge, Imperium Secundus stands as a lone beacon of hope even as the Warmaster’s forces continue to ravage the rest of the galaxy. Roboute Guilliman, still Master of Ultramar, has convinced his brother that Terra has fallen and that the mysterious Mount Pharos on Sotha now holds the key to mankind’s future. But the Night Lords, those cruel and pitiless sons of Konrad Curze, have been watching from the shadows, and make ready to launch their long-planned attack on the Pharos itself…
>>
>>44371401
That was a bit weird, yes. But it fits to some extent. Girlyman saw something cool, and wanted an improved version.

But the points difference is quite massive.
Even counting ignore cover, Fulmentarus are ~40 points per model more expensive than Tyrants if you equip them with Launchers.
>>
>>44371439
they also have BS5 and tank hunters when they have 5 or more models
besides, you can take autocannons instead and shit on anything not av14, and save a gorillion points
>>
So I've noticed that tactical squad mark 2,3 and 4 are no longer available on Forgeworld, does this mean plastics incoming? Because I'd kill for some plastic Iron Armour
>>
>>44371545
Legion versions are still in stock. They're probably just phasing out the non-Legion versions.
>>
>>44371427
I hope Polux and Dantioch hook up in this one.
>>
>>44371545
If I had to guess, they're doing the same as they did for the weapons. So you'll have new units of those armours soon, but without the hands, so they're compatible with the newly changed weapons and Calth.
>>
>>44371545
>>44371655

That's probably right. Although Mk V Despoilers and tacticals are missing, and only the assault variant is present. They also need to cycle all the old kits to not include the hands since FW is moving to GW's new style of hands attached to guns.
>>
>>44371724
FW has said they're working on Legion versions of MK.V. Whether or not they have hands is yet to be seen.
>>
>>44371724
>They also need to cycle all the old kits to not include the hands since FW is moving to GW's new style of hands attached to guns.

Not necessarily. FW has mentioned that all people need to do is cut the hands off the guns to make them work with the new weapons. Seems more reasonable they'd have their customers do the work rather than retool every mark of armor.
>>
>>44371740

Wanna bet faglord? $10 says they have hands!

lol
>>
>>44371759
Honestly, I hope they have hands. Fuck the new weapons with hands.
>>
>>44371764

Yeah gluing weapons onto hands is fiddly, but gluing hands on to wrists is even worse. And it's resin so you have to use superglue instead of plastic.
>>
>>44371772
It's not the assembly process that annoys me, it's the lack of being able to use the weapons as either maglocked to their legs or just as random debris on bases.
>>
>>44371781

I've been looking for chainswords with full handles and no hands on them for years. They only exist from a 2E plastic assault sergeant accessory sprue and nobody sells them.

I've only seen one person so far and he was even from /tg/ saying he had a box full of them but he wouldn't part with any. I NEED TO MODEL ADDITIONAL CCWS DAMNIT
>>
>>44371797
I just use some recasts of FW bolt pistol packs.
>>
>>44371809

Sadly my models have bolter, bolt pistol, and chainsword, so modeling a BP does nothing.

I'd do dual BP but thanks to the new Gunslinger rule from 6E that would be wonky. I've been making due with simply having a mix of bolter only, bolter and chainsword, and bolt pistol and chainsword.
>>
>>44371797
use the knives from the plastic heresy marines
>>
>>44371427

iS THERE A ePUB ONLINE?
>>
>>44364881
yea pretty much what >>44366206 says, there is a chapter (I think it was a chapter, I am not too familiar with Legion unit divisions) mentioned in the FW books of the Word Bearers that were grey with yellow right arms and lightning bolt symbols that served with a rogue trader.
>>
>>44371928
yES
>>
>>44371953

Not that guy, but is there a link? I want to see if Guy Haley is going to be a good addition to the Heresy Team, or if we have yet another trainwreck approaching us.
>>
Primary Pharos location destroyed
This sends a signal to the tyranids and is why they invade our galaxy later on
Sanguinius is a git
Scythes confirmed
Dantioch dead
>>
>>44372227

Details please.
>>
>>44372227
Dantioch dead? sounds fucking good to me.

Even as IV as my main Legion
>>
>>44372274
? Read the book
Night lords attack
Curze goes mental and at the end abandons his legion
Sevatar and lion chase after him using Pharos
Dantioch overloads Pharos smashing their fleet
Epilogue is tyranids
Daemon weapons and possession and traitors realise they have ducked up by joining chaos or realise and don't cares
>>
>>44372328

I really want to read this now.

How good of a story is it? How does Haley rank from ADB to Counter?
>>
>>44372328
>Epilogue is tyranids

It's hinted that the whole beacon on Sotha is what attracted the Tyranids to Ultramar (maybe the galaxy even). Behemoth was following the psychic trail lift by the beacon. That' why unlike other hive fleets, it mostly moved in a straight line.
>>
>>44372364
Well specifically the explosion of location alpha
I think the lion will also find out the emperor is alive possibly joining with Vulkan to stop as many of the traitors joining the siege
>>
>>44371427
I need a link.
>>
>>44372429

Most of us do. Hopefully an Anon will share the christmas cheer with us.
>>
>>44367083
Fulmentari are of questionable value, given that they are (explicitly) a variation of Iron Warrior's Tyrant Siege Termies. What advantage they bring is limited given a steep hike.

Locutarus are pretty good, not amazing or a unit that can do anything but solid.

Suzerains didn't strike me as a particularly stunning or noteworthy unit until I started really examining the rules, and making comparisons to similar units. Then it struck me that they are simply fantastic value. They are like the best of Breacher squads and Terminator squads in one, without the options admittedly. They're not a wide-role unit either, but when you need a hardy, take-all-comers melee bodyguard Suzies are the top of their game.

>>44371238
>A lot of people really like the Invictarus Suzerains.
This is what happens when you skim posts. Many of the discussions regarding Suzerain's power suggest they out to be nerfed a little.
>>
>>44371427
. . . is this literally advertising?
>>
>>44368786
>Also there were no Stompas, Gorkanaugts/Morkanaughts or Dreads in 30k. Those all came from Orks seeing the Legions using them and aping their designs during the Scouring.
I'd love to know where people get that idea, there were Forge Worlds with their own Titan Legions all over the galaxy since the Dark Age of Technology, and Dreadnoughts were STC tech, Forge World has said this themselves in their own material. There is absolutely no reason for Orks to not have encountered them long before the Great Crusade.
>>
>>44369402
>gargants and stompas are a direct response to imperial titans encountered on Armageddon
The fuck? Epic has established numerous battles that included Gargants before the CURRENT MILLENNIUM (M41), which is when the Battle for Armageddon happened.
>>
>>44365904
>all the phoenix lords were much more active at this point
The timing is tricky though. Asurmen and Jain Zar (the first phoenix lord and his first pupil) definitely didn't become them before the fall. They had to develop their aspect, travel by webway to each craftworld one-by-one, fully found their shrines and train disciples into aspect warriors, bonesingers had to craft all their armor and artefacts, and since the Great Crusade left the sol system within a decade of the fall and the great crusade was ~250 years or so, that isn't a lot of time to raise massive numbers of aspect warriors.

I doubt their numbers peaked during the great crusade.
>>
>>44372821
When the Fall happened Asurman and Jain Zar spend an unknown time in the ruins of their homeworld. Then Asurman had his miracle thingy and grabbed Jain and flew with her to parts unknown.

There shouldn't be any aspect warriors during the Great Crusade. At least in the start of it.
>>
>>44365850
>Orks could have bigger mandatory units (20+ min) but all of them have Nob profiles, Waaghnbosses with near Primarch stats and the like
>>44368786
Boys with Nob Stats, Mobs of Nobs with Warboss Stats and Warlords powerful enough to go toe to toe with Primarchs.

So other than one random guy who keeps saying that they spoke with someone at a forgeworld open day and was told this, even though it's contradicted by numerous other people who have spoken with forgeworld (such as saying no to xenos in 30k altogether), is this actually stated anywhere?

The thing about orks is, if they're the size of Nobz, they ARE nobz. why would these orks never have been ork-sized when the spores first grew? and if they were born nob-sized, why doesn't that happen now? spore ancestry don't determine what size of ork is born, any ork that lives and fights long enough could become a nob, but none are born nobz. Even if billions of orks were nobz by the time the legions fought the ullanor empire, there would still have been even more non-nobz. and the campaign went for years, after a while all new orks would have been smaller.

Also, the Sons of Horus material clearly states that while the overlord of Ullanor was massive by ork standards (ork standards at the time, obviously, since that's all they'd know), it was no match for Horus at all.
>>
>>44372847
True, although there may have been some kind of Eldar with exotic tech that would behave a lot like what Aspect Warriors eventually would.
>>
>>44372675
Possibly not when whoever's posting it knows full well that a download link will appear for anyone who wants it.

GW don't think they have to care about mindshare, just money.
>>
>>44372933
I image those would probably be a little like squads of Autarchs. Lower stats, but similar flexibility in gear.
>>
>>44372945
Legion shows there's an autarch with the cabal and Eldrad is already a farseer
So the fall must have been a few hundred years before the crusade started
>>
>>44369513
I could see a special character Ork like the beast fighting off a Primarch but a special character?
>>
>>44373209
>but a special character?
I meant generic warboss
>>
>>44373341
A unit can only perform a collective action if all members of the unit can perform it. Sweeping Advance is such an action, and so the Cataphractii model's inability prevents the entire unit from doing so. The same is true for Running, but not for Overwatch (or any other type of shooting).
>>
What do you guys think is the best loadout for Mor Deythan? Not really that much into WAAC but the unit is so expensive I don't want to fuck things up.

I think statistically combi-flamers lay down the most hurt on infantry during a fatal strike but you probably want the squad to do versatile/useful things after that is used up. Add some (combi?) meltaguns. Missile Launchers? Maybe Combi-plasma instead so they are useful against both marines and light vehicles?
>>
>>44373458
wrong thread m8
>>
>>44373416
No-one is into WAAC, except for burnt-out LAACs. That said Mor Deythan are a unit of only moderate value and limited use outside of flamers drench. If you want to moderate that, just take less flamers or a smaller unit.
>>
>>44373553
Right, that's what I was trying to get at, how do I equip them so they are useful in all the other turns of the game. Don't really like the idea of them being fully kamikaze.
>>
>>44373416

Coming out of a Darkwing/Eagle
>7 Combi Flamers, 3 Meltaguns, Meltabomb
the last few marines will have trouble getting a template down so give them something that will kill and is an assault weapon

Scout+Rhino+Fatal for anti infantry
>7 Combi-flamers, 3 plasmaguns, rhino
Plasmaguns are for the last few marines that woudn't get a clean template down and keeps them dangerous and relevant after Fatal Striking something. My personal fav.

AT
>7 Combi-Plas, 3 plasmaguns, rhino
They will do 3+ HPs to Av14 that has armoured ceramite. Perfect for finishing off or maiming just about anything. Or if you can crack open the juicy transport first they can unload with the plasma like Seekers on the contents, but again stay potent thanks to three actual plasmaguns.

>Snipers
Not bad, but not nearly as DEADKILLY

Only take melta if you also want to charge as rending plasmaguns will always do better than rending meltas thanks to rapid fire.
>>
>>44372275
Kill yourself dantioch and the iron litany was GOAT
>>
>>44360980
>>44368020
Is the guy that made the homebrew in this thread?

I really think the Ork model counts should be adjusted. No one in their right mind is even close to having 40 Meganobz or Flash Gitz (Nobz maybe, but only because of AoBR), and many will even struggle to get to the minimum of 10 Meganobz with their current collection. I don't think anyone will buy that many models just for a homebrew, either.
Boyz get kind of fucked over, too, since you can't use Trukk Boyz if your minimum unit size is 20. This could maybe be fixed by a new unit that a vehicle squadron of 1-3 units of 12 Trukk Boyz with a unit tax and cheaper in numbers to keep with the style of 30k.
>>
>>44371427
Krukesh the Pale? That's like calling the kettle black. Is he too pale for NL tatse?
>>
>>44372364
I want to say it was actually the Fall of the Eldar and the Eye of Terror that brought the Nids to the galaxy for their second helping of the Milky Way.
>>
>>44374757
Nope it's a massive quantum pulse
>>
>>44371427
>Emperor Sanguinius

What the hell is this? Fan fiction?
>>
>>44374918
Nope, Imperium Secundus is canon...
It was a back-up plan of sorts, should something terrible happen to the Emperor or Terra. With Girlyman convinced that this actually happened, this is activated.
>>
>>44374341
After UE, Dantioch can suck a dick mate.

Well he could have, not much reason to do that since he might be dead.

Krendl was better.
>>
>>44375004
I know about Imperium Secondus, but

>Emperor Sanguinius

Ive never heard of that before.
>>
>>44375437
Kek I bet you like Kylo Ren as well
Now go back to cutting yourself and linkin park
>>
>>44375491
Rowboat thought Hawk Boy should be the Emperor because it would look bad if he made himself the Emperor.
>>
>>44375531
Seriously, what is there not to like about Krendl after Ironfire?
Dantioch was just a whiny "muh Emperor"

Also I don't get the reference mate.
>>
>>44375437
>>44375531

Are you guys lost? This is the HH general. Shitposting is discouraged here. May I suggest the 40k general, its a great place to assert opinion as fact, call everyone faggots, and spam shittily formatted lists. You'll fit right in.
>>
>>44375741
Its related to the Heresy you fucking cunt

Now fuck off.
>>
What book is the character creation thing in? The one where you pay an extra 20 pts to make an HQ a named character and he rolls multiple times on the Warlord Trait tables for a permanent trait.
>>
>>44376118
Book 4, page 215.
>>
>>44375004
>Nope, Imperium Secundus is canon...
Don't remind us. It was a horrible idea and blatantly exposes their padding of the storyline.
>>
File: 1362944323278.jpg (75 KB, 758x523) Image search: [Google]
1362944323278.jpg
75 KB, 758x523
Let us not squabble over which Primarch is best/worst.

Today...let us Rank and fight over the First Captains!
>>
File: Sigismund.jpg (61 KB, 300x750) Image search: [Google]
Sigismund.jpg
61 KB, 300x750
>>44376250
Best first captain reporting for duty.
>>
>>44376156
Excellent. Thank you very much.
>>
File: Calas Typhon.png (3 MB, 1143x1089) Image search: [Google]
Calas Typhon.png
3 MB, 1143x1089
Shut up, Yellow scum!
>>
File: Sevatar.jpg (72 KB, 331x377) Image search: [Google]
Sevatar.jpg
72 KB, 331x377
>>44376327
>>44376303
Eh hem
>>
File: Sigismund_-_Emperor's_Champion.jpg (482 KB, 800x789) Image search: [Google]
Sigismund_-_Emperor's_Champion.jpg
482 KB, 800x789
>>44376395
Yes and?
>>
>>44376427
Only one of the three got rekt by the despoiler m8
>>
File: Sar_Luther_Master_of_Caliban.jpg (113 KB, 800x1160) Image search: [Google]
Sar_Luther_Master_of_Caliban.jpg
113 KB, 800x1160
>>44376250
There is but one answer, and you already know it.
>>
>>44376446
I highly doubt that Abaddon didn't try drowning Siggy in waves of marines and cultists.
>>
>>44376250
He's has a solemn order from his Primarch to fuck all yall.
>>
Pharos DL/Torrent when?
>>
>>44376528
Probably in a few weeks from BranStark.
>>
>>44373920
I reckon no matter how you build or use them they will kamikaze. They're like Chaos Terms in that regard. Experiment by all means but there's a reason why certain opinions are commonly held on here.

>>44374057
Small point but don't recommend the Darkwing. It's like Fulmentarii, small bonuses for a steep price.
>>
If I take two predators in a squadron with autocannons, heavy bolter sponsons and a pintle heavy bolters, what else should I take on them? Ceramite seems a waste due to their shit rear and side armour. POTMS is a bit expensive.
>>
>>44376327
Other than Erebus, this guy is probably the next biggest piece of shit
>>
>>44376617
I guess which army? I can't remember if SA and M&C have differing options.
>>
>>44376457
>Human
>First Captain of a Legion
>Convinces half the Legion to turn against its own Primarch
Legit as fuck.
>>
>>44376647
Army doesn't have predators. Only legion.
>>
File: DSCF8066.jpg (246 KB, 1275x1600) Image search: [Google]
DSCF8066.jpg
246 KB, 1275x1600
H-hi Guys does anyone think I'm the best First Captain?
>>
>>44376457
Half Astartes...lol, good thing the Lion was too autistic to change, or else Luther would never have been able to do shit at all...probably die in the Imperial Army somewhere.
>>
File: MAUN, ACTIVATE BEAKIE ASSAULT.jpg (44 KB, 319x277) Image search: [Google]
MAUN, ACTIVATE BEAKIE ASSAULT.jpg
44 KB, 319x277
>>44376250
Most tactical reporting in while simultaneously running a planet-wide orbital drop strike via my computer-enhanced brain.
>>
>>44376680
You wear high heels and nobody respects you. Kor, just give Erebus your job already.
>>
>>44376702
The Knights of Caliban were well respected within the Legion as befitted men who tamed a Death World by hitting it with their sword until it gave up.

>>44376680
No.
>>
>>44376759
Were you even a First Captain? I'm sure you pale in comparison to Corvain or whatever that beakman was named.
>>
>>44377486
you shut your whore mouth
i'm an IW player and even i think maun is a fucking badass
>>
>>44377093
So Catachans basically. Still cannon fodder, tough cannon fodder, but meat shields all the same.

You should have done what The Iron Lord did and clean house before striking out on the Great Crusade and have lots of Automata for back up.
>>
>>44377503
>>44377508
When will Forrix get rules?
>>
>>44377560

Tallarn Book most likely.
>>
>>44376670
Oh, I saw the photo and my brain sort-of filled in the blanks. Bit confusing desu, given that all of us are no-doubt tipsy at the minimum. I guess bare minimum works for Preds, it's a boring answer but it's par for the course. Vehicle upgrades are basically like meltabombs or twin-linked boltguns, you throw them in if you have odd points to spare.
>>
>>44376327
Well you did blow up the Raven Guard's Golorian Battleship. Thats something.
>>
>>44377811
Understandable, seeing that it's what I'm working on for me SW. I doubt FW's gonna give SW exterminators, but I always liked the look, so thought about doing it for 30k SW with predator rules (especially since their preds get a 3rd HB).

Cheap is fine by me. I've seen some people say POTMS is a good pick, though I think they mean mostly for preds with clashing weapons. Like autocannon and lascannon sponsons, at which case you can fire the lascannons at one target and the autocannon at anothet, not wasting either of them. Full dakka predator probably doesn't need it, since all the guns are probably trailing the same target anyway.

I thought melta-bombs were quite essential in 30k, since it can't be ignored by ceramite.
>>
>>44376760

Erebus got his shit fucking annihilated by Kharn
>>
>>44378025
And he did get his face ripped off by Horus. Presumably Horus gave it back, apothecaries/the Chaos Gods did something to give him a new face. He still has a face in 40k so that's probably what happened.
>>
>>44378116
It started to regrow with scales, horns and other shit like that. IIRC, Erebus started to appreciate this as favour from Chaos Gods.
>>
>>44372227
>>44372328
Is it good?
>>
File: Dark_Chaplain_Erebus.jpg (395 KB, 757x1171) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Chaplain_Erebus.jpg
395 KB, 757x1171
>>44378155
Like this?
>>
File: 419.jpg (31 KB, 384x512) Image search: [Google]
419.jpg
31 KB, 384x512
>>44378214
>that pose

Is he a slav or something?
>>
>>44378116

It's not even that he got beaten up, it's that Kharn absolutely annihilated him without any effort.
>>
>>44378241
I'm not sure if he's squatting or what. Don't the Word Bearers have a Mesopotamian theme going on?
>>44378250
Erebus really shouldn't have stayed around with the WEs but man wasn't it great to see him get what was coming to him.
>>
File: 1451081212391.jpg (410 KB, 757x1171) Image search: [Google]
1451081212391.jpg
410 KB, 757x1171
>>44378311
I don't know how to interpret that pose any differently. Maybe he's teabagging all the skills at his feet?
>>
>>44378203
Yeah but almost as depressing as damnation of pythos
>>
Anyone want to rate my IH 1500 list? Iron-Father Autek Mor

Legion Command squad
+ 1 Chosen
+ 4 Cataphractii Armour 60
Autocannon/Plasma blaster 15
Chainfist 10
Powerfist/Lightning claw x 3

Land Raider Phobos
Frag assault launchers

Legion Tactical Squad
Additional CC-weapon
Powerfist/PW + Melta bombs

Legion Tactical Squad
Additional CC-weapon
Powerweapon

both have rhinos

Legion Predator Tank
Sponson: Lascannon
Executioner Destroyer

Contemptor Dreadnought
Hvy Conversion Beamer

that leads to 1500 pts. Any ideas for what to add in 1850/2000? Was thinking of Vindicator, mortis contemptor, Heavy support with AC or support with volkite Calivers. What are fun to play with, or good on the table? Going with the IH rite of war.
>>
>>44376680
I quite like his model if nothing else.
>>
>>44378389
So it's a straight Traitor victory yet again and not a draw or a Pyrrhic one?
>>
>>44378369
I feel like an idiot for thinking those were greaves.
>Maybe he's teabagging all the skills at his feet?
There are least three spikes down there. That would hurt if he slipped on one of the skulls, but he would deserve it.
>>
>>44378369

I thought he was sitting on a throne
>>
>>44374057
>>44376613
Thanks for the advice. What's wrong with the Darkwing though? Assuming I was going to buy the twin-las anyway it seems perfectly reasonable. It's also fluffy to use the legion variant.
>>
>>44378421
Well Pyrrhic victory for imperial - whole secundus thing falling apart Pharos damaged tyranids alerted etc
>>
>>44378568
If I understood correctly, the Night Lords strike at the Pharos, damaging it before getting the fuck out.
That's not a pyrrhic victory, that's a pure defeat
>>
>>44378564

It's an expensive 'upgrade' over an already-mediocre unit, that is arguably weaker than the baseline.

It has a few problems.
- It pays a lot for those Lascannons, but it's defining feature is anti-infantry. The only way to maximise its firepower is by shooting the Las and then PotMS the missiles, which completely wastes the 'nose' weapons. A Stormeagle could have made those into Meltas or Cyclones.
- Blind is actually fairly shitty now. It's one test regardless of how many models you hit, cannot be stacked with Concussive or Strikedown regardless of what 1D4Chan says, and only has a 1 in 3 chance to work.
- The missiles lose 1S and 1AP for the 'privelege of Stealth so it's arguably weaker than a standard Sotmeagle even when targetting infantry and ignoring the total mismatch of weapons.
- Outflank is generally irrelevant on a turret-equipped flier, especially in an army that needs everything on the ground turn 1. Raven Guard are built to rip your head off as soon as the game starts, without holding almost 300pts of flier plus cargo in reserves.
- Stealth is neat, though of limited application on a gunship. You want to be shooting, not Jinking, at which point it's only a 6+.

Given the choice, I'd rather take a stock Stormeagle. Given full rein, I'd take neither and invest in something that can fight Turn 1.
>>
>>44378664
Dantioch overloads they have to use the beta site which may not work
And then that tyranids thing - which i called in unremembered empire since it sounded like a fossilised hive ship - and dantioch dying
>>
>>44378685
I fully realise how awkard it is to have a 250 pt transport with a 250 pt unit in it that, at best, will arrive on turn 2... but it's so cool :(
>>
>>44374738
Cool, thanks for the suggestions.

Here's what I was thinking:
For Boyz, it's basically taking the idea of HH being about bigger units and running with it.

At 60 models costing a shade over 4pts/model, you're basically replacing the survivability of having a transport with the survivability of having more ablative wounds. You get slightly better maneuverability, but only till the transport is inevitably wrecked.

What can stand against a charging mob of 60 Boyz (positioned so that most of them can get a hit in)? Nothing. Which is why you take lots - because everyone will blow the shit out of them from maximum range. Most will die, so the ones that survive are what you took the rest for. If they can get transports it fucks with the survivability math, then taking big mobs isn't worth it because they can't be so cheap.

The friend that I playtested this with had loads of models and plenty of bitz to kitbash, because we've been playing for a very long time (since Rogue Trader). Sure, that's not everyone, but loads of Boyz from AoBR are cheap. I don't know what else you'd suggest, if the model count was (say) 3 Meganobz minimum then three mobs of three would eat your whole Elites section (no formations). How would that help? Even if you only wanted one, how would you make it survive (if you've played HH, you'd know that six wounds with 2+ and no invul will last about four seconds, even in CC since marines are I4 minimum)?
>>
>>44378740

Is there a DL Link?
>>
>>44377974
I sincerely hope Legion Wolves get Leman Russes as a special unit. Missed opportunity if otherwise.

Yeah POTMS is a tad far. If Predators were tougher it might be more worthwhile.

Melta bombs are a lot more valuable than in 40K and a few units that can purchases loads of them for a bargain cost are main-line anti-armour assets, but there are many more ways to penetrate armour and for the most part they're a helpful afterthought. I say this, most of the Militia and Cults lists I've devised end up with at least one set of MBs in each unit, but then that's a given in a largely anti-infantry horde force.
>>
>>44378564
Always welcome. Darkwings, they're pretty much a non-upgrade for 50pts. I'm used to explaining the merits and failings of this (among other notable) units, but luckily for me this guy >>44378685 covered them all for me. The only detail to add is that the Darkwing also reduces the transport capacity of the 'Eagle, which actually sucks given its chief role. That can mean bye-bye to a crucial character or extra dude with nice weapons.

>>44378743
If you're worried about that, you probably shouldn't be looking at the vanilla Storm Eagle either. Payload/Deathstar transport choices are costly for a reason.
>>
>>44378743
Dif anon here; the Darkwing is expensive and blind did get nerf'd too hard(Poor Corax, he used to blind everything and murderize it with ease.) But the additional points go towards outflank mostly. People forget there are 6 deployment types in heresy which makes outflank better. It's stil arguably not great, but it's not a piece of crap either. I personally deepstrike it within Mauns bubble and have the content kill things.
>>
for a 20 dude iron warriors tac squad in a storm eagle, lascannons on the bird or extra CCW on the marines
>>
>>44379599
Depends if your list is lacking in high str shooting I guess. A lucky las shot can pay off a lot more than 20 extra cc attacks from your tacsquad. But that could be useful too.
>>
>>44379559

> Additional points go towards outflank mostly
> I personally deepstrike it within Mauns bubble

>>44379599
If playing Rite, I'd go CCW because it's more fun. For general-purpose the Lascannons are probably going to do more work than another handful of S4 hits.
>>
>>44379675
i've got 2 sicarans, 3 medusas, and a spartan which i'm not sure if i should take laser destroyers or quad las on
>>
>>44378116
Erebus is alive in 40k? Source?
>>
>>44379675
>>44379695
>>44379715
hurr hurr, and a typhon, doing hammer of olympia
>>
>>44379734
He's in the Word Bearers' council of Dark Apostles who rule in Lorgar's absence, and helped out a little on the 13th Black Crusade.
>>
>>44379559
This has been a point of some debate regarding the Darkwing over the past few months, and it's fairly straightforward.

- The value of unusual deployment is in either being able to get a unit to arrive in distant reaches of the board further than just moving their manually over several turns; or, the ability to hold back off the board and thus away from danger without it hindering the unit's positioning once it does arrive.
- As the Darkwing is a Flyer-type vehicle however - and with prominent turret-based weaponry to boot - this becomes irrelevant. A Storm Eagle can keep in normal reserve and arrive from it's own board edge and still move to almost every it can be, and certainly anywhere it needs to be, in the space of one turn.
- This issue is compounded for transport vehicles, as units cannot assault on the turn in which they arrive from reserve. A Darkwing may be able to drop its payload of Terminators/Furies/Command Squados on the turn in which it arrives, but they won't be able to charge on the turn afterwards, which counts for a lot for a melee lead unit. This sticking point is in turn intensified by . . .
- The fact that units can only arrive from reserve from Turn 2 or later, meaning that at the most a unit deployed from reserve in a Darkwing can make its assault by . . . Turn 3. You might as well be footslogging them by this point; whatever defensive advantages that the transport affordes will be more than made up by spending its points on more squad members or squads end-of. But this is ultra relevant because, at last:
- Raven Guard are entirely built towards delivering a lethal Alpha Strike, seizing the initiative and dumping irresistable hell on an enemy force from turn one.

So most of this reasoning is simply truth about the merits and dismerits of keeping an assault flyer transport in any form of reserve - whether Storm Eagle or Darkwing, and whether normal or Outflank. But it's come up often enough that it's worth ironing out for good.
>>
>>44379524
>>44379559
>>44379834

It's so hard to make a good army list that is cool, effective, has some redundancy, and doesn't make people hate you. I wish there were more special characters/rules to skew your army in one direction and build around it.

But thanks about the info anyway, I still really like Storm Eagles/Darkwings but every time I make a draft with those in I end up with something that has the entire army in reserve :/
>>
>>44379979
Are predators with conversion beamers a decent idea? They seem like a cheap-ish way to get a bunch of S10 large blasts and synergize well, at least in theory, with a single medusa squad and unlike Vindicators you can have them in squadrons so more room for large blasts. They seem nice in theory I guess.
>>
>>44380134
they're fairly meh since they have to stay still to fire, as well as the range where they're str 10 is pretty far and easy to get inside of
>>
>>44380134
Sounds to me like one of those units you'd only take to blow up everything on the table next to you. Either because you roll that way or because you have some really cool multi-table scenario going on.
>>
>>44376487
I'm pretty sure Abaddon having an honorable duel with Sigismund is one of the high points of the fluff. At least I think I read that somewhere.
>>
>>44379979
We're gonna have to disagree: it really, really isn't. Specifically, 30K is MASSIVELY easier, and more diversely so, to create a fun and effective list than 40K. That's the whole reason why 30K is popular - it's a better game than 40K. Being a better game doesn't mean bigger guns or crayziah shenanigans - it means that the big guns and shenanigans that it has are balanced, and that there's more balanced, fun and interesting ways to assemble them into a list together than its counterparts.

Basically, if you find it difficult to make an effective and engaging list in 30K, god help you. Maybe you just need practice; otherwise you're waiting for a miracle, a game that makes 30K look like 40K and 40K look like Algae Smegma (ie not likely).

>doesn't make people hate you
This remark isn't disagreeable, so much as deeply, complexly puzzling. You can't hate a warhammer list. You also can't be affected by hate for a warhammer list. It's not a thing, in any sense of the word, in terms of building a 30K army. Just baffling.

>I still really like Storm Eagles
There's little to dislike about Storm Eagles, you just don't seem to understand how to use them. And if Storm Eagles didn't exist, Darkwings might be something approachin considerable as a unit - the're just outcompeted for their role by their vanilla counterpart.

>every time I make a draft with those in I end up with something that has the entire army in reserve
I sincerel doubt it has something to do with the flying transports at this point. You have to ask yourself which things you want in an army, and then build out into something fun and fulsome from there.
>>
>>44376528
I'll try to post it to mega or something in a little bit.
>>
File: Page37.jpg (1 MB, 1697x2381) Image search: [Google]
Page37.jpg
1 MB, 1697x2381
>>44381540

You are amazing anon. I wish I could share something with you, but the Library is closed for the Christmas Break and I still have only done half of Isstvan Camapign legions. I did stop for a while because I heard that they were re-releasing an updated version and so planned to scan that version instead, but then I heard it wasn't a re-release and so will complete it.

I really do wish they had better scanning software then this 2005 Photoshop bullshit thing they have now though.
>>
>>44381540
https://mega.nz/#!vREgSZbL

Here you go Lads. Merry Emperor's Day and all that. I'm not keeping it up forever so get it while it lasts.
>>
>>44381703

It says it needs a decryption key.
>>
>>44381703
Shit I fucked up.

https://mega.nz/#!vREgSZbL!3kRzRj5__J9afylZ4jDyMrZZn1ZoiViS61iyhiKCRHw
>>
>>44381752

Do you have the Epub please?
>>
>>44381717
>>44381752
Sorry Anons! Here's the link with the key!
>>
>>44381765
https://mega.nz/#!GU8UXDBI!MPsdlbRlWRqCCKAW3E9ju-UKm8Cp3XCK2cyipY1aob8
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.