[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scrolls on pages of a book
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: unnamed.png (123 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
123 KB, 300x300
Question for GMs, would you let your players write scrolls in a book instead of on rolls of paper?

I'm thinking up a character for pathfinder and I'm imagining how they would keep a bunch of scrolls organized. There's always the option of putting more then one spell on a single roll of scroll, but I think it might be more interesting if they had they scrolls written out in a book like a wizard. Additionally moving forward they might use an enchanted book like a blessed book to keep things smaller and safer.

For reference's sake, the discription from the Pathfinder CRB:
>A scroll is a heavy sheet of fine vellum or high-quality paper. An area about 8-1/2 inches wide and 11 inches long is sufficient to hold one spell. The sheet is reinforced at the top and bottom with strips of leather slightly longer than the sheet is wide. A scroll holding more than one spell has the same width (about 8-1/2 inches) but is an extra foot or so long for each additional spell. Scrolls that hold three or more spells are usually fitted with reinforcing rods at each end rather than simple strips of leather. A scroll has AC 9, 1 hit point, hardness 0, and a break DC of 8.
>>
>>44359304
Sure. But the pages are consumed when you cast the spell, so he'd burn through books pretty frequently. Of course, with sufficient skill in bookbinding, he could just remove destroyed pages and add new ones as appropriate.
>>
>>44359304
I'd allow it, but I'd never be able to shake the mental image of a mage with a legal pad.
>>
File: tabs.with.binder.jpg (558 KB, 1698x884) Image search: [Google]
tabs.with.binder.jpg
558 KB, 1698x884
>>44359322
A binder would be more appropriate. Also with color coded tabs for quick access.

That said, if you're playing a scroll heavy character be sure to have a couple emergency scrolls inside your clothing. Stuffed up shirt sleeves or secured by tacking thread to a jacket. If you ever lose your scroll binder you still have options.
>>
>>44359365
>A binder would be more appropriate. Also with color coded tabs for quick access.
Three-ring binders don't feel particularly era-appropriate.
>>
>>44359323
I love it.

I love anything implying wizard lawyers in general though.
>>
>>44359374
that's because medieval binders were basically just a leather wrapping with a tie around them to keep all the parchment in
>>
File: 00.png (789 KB, 720x504) Image search: [Google]
00.png
789 KB, 720x504
>>44359374
Then use thick thread and leather and you have to spend a few minutes 'sewing' new scrolls on. Still quick and easy in comparison to loose scrolls or bookbinding.
>>
>>44359433
Congratulations, you've described an early book. Well done, we're on the same page here.
>>
File: Snake_Scroll_2.png (300 KB, 800x395) Image search: [Google]
Snake_Scroll_2.png
300 KB, 800x395
How does /tg/ like their scrolls?

Dense fake Latin text that's been pre-chanted and merely requires a last couple syllables to release?
Alchemical circles and symbols that will be complete with a simple extra line?
Eyes training to look at and seem deeper than the paper would allow with glyphs floating up and down, reacting to being read?
Wax seals holding the spell in place, pinned to dead skin and paper, just waiting to burst out once the seal is removed?

And as for that matter, what happens once used? Does the paper burst into harmless witchfire? Revert to mundane materials? Implode with a rustly popping noise? Flare into real fire and must be dropped?
Like a lot of naruto's world, their scrolls were interesting but not developed on and instead emo magicians took the front. I liked 'em though.

>>44359466
Slight differences in stringing technique. You want access to all the pages to remove used ones or add new ones. Image used then was a bad example.
>>
>>44359541
Sumerian words in a pseudo alphabet written in a way that when the text is complete it looks like a geometrical shape. The spell spell is constantly channeled and it drains the necessary energy from the ingredients so it deteriorates over time, and when activated it gives injection/burst of energy needed for the spell to be completed
>>
>>44359541
My interpretation was always, much like casting a spell, you just do 99% of that unique instance of the spell, then just finish the like 6 second of it when you want to cast it. The only difference being that when you cast normally, you do the first 9(% in your head and remember it, and when you make a scroll, you write down the incantations and representations of the movements and then say and do the last 6 seconds of the spell liek you normally would. So, yeah, fakey latin bull.

I know in pathfinder CRB it say the just the writing disappears, but it also makes sense that if magic is going through the paper then it will just turn it dust from all the energy.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.